BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-08-14 10:11 PM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE
I just saw that HITS has set up a new pricing scheme. If you register more than 4 months before an event, the entry fee is reduced by 75%. I'm trying to decide which one(s) I'm going to register for. Thought I'd pass along the info.

2012-08-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4363740

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

stevesflyshop - 2012-08-14 9:11 PM I just saw that HITS has set up a new pricing scheme. If you register more than 4 months before an event, the entry fee is reduced by 75%. I'm trying to decide which one(s) I'm going to register for. Thought I'd pass along the info.

That's awesome, Steve.  Don't they have one in Sterling or Julesburg?  I think I recall Mariah did one down in Houston, I'll have to go to the archives to see what she said about it.  75% off is a hell of a great deal.

2012-08-15 3:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

They originally planned to do the HITS in Fort Collins. I was seriously considering signing up for it before I found out I was having surgery. Then they moved the venue to Sterling because of the forest fires. Sterling is only 45 miles from me but I hadn't swam at all and we were moving that weekend. It was also in the upper 90's that entire week and weekend.

I'm looking at Marble Falls, Texas in April. I mean seriously, how can you argue with $150 for a full iron distance course or $75 for a half.

From what I've read, this is either one of the greatest timed marketing strategies due to WTC raising the cost of Ironman New York or a fire sale. I know the Colorado long course did not have a lot of participants and with the unbearably hot and dry summer we've had out here I can understand why. I am really looking forward to being in one of their races. At 75% off, I'm hoping to be in several. I knew I should have had my wife write out and sign her statement that I can enter whatever races I want next year.

2012-08-16 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

My wife finally downloaded the pictures she took from the Seattle Marathon. She mentioned I wasn't looking happy. I told her I would have been happier if I would have had one of the umbrellas that the spectators had.

(Seattle.rain.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Seattle.rain.jpg (65KB - 12 downloads)
2012-08-16 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4367101

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
stevesflyshop - 2012-08-16 5:18 PM

My wife finally downloaded the pictures she took from the Seattle Marathon. She mentioned I wasn't looking happy. I told her I would have been happier if I would have had one of the umbrellas that the spectators had.

Haha!  Post some pictures.  We know marathons aren't hard enough without the soaking wet shoes to make them "character building".

2012-08-18 1:16 AM

User image

He guys!! Just got our phone and Internet hooked up and was able to call back to the US for the first time since we left in June! We also received our shipment of household goods (aka all our boxes from the movers). I haven't had a chance to get my bike to the shop to have it built back up due to working some long days and trying to get unpacked. Needless to say, I'm going a bit stir crazy! To answer a question about the HITS series, yes I have participated in a couple of their events. I think the price discount is awesome and I've been bugging Mark Wilson to bring the series over here to Europe! A few things about the HITS race you should know before you sign up (just in case these things are important to you): you won't find a big Expo (at least not at the two I participated in); the shirt was the same for all of their races (think concert-style with just a listing of where all the races are behind held - nothing specific to your particular race location); you may not even get a shirt if they don't have enough; no cool backpack or swag bag; the medals are also generic and cheap quality (think plastic with a sticker in the center); the post race food selection was pretty limited; no fancy custom swim cap; no 3-deep AG awards, but a 1-deep award for every age (1st place age M34, 1st place age M35, etc). Okay, so these are the big things that I think might impact a persons decision if they are concerned about the above. With that being said, there were tons of police out on the course making sure that cars did not impede the racers; mark Wilson made an effort to meet every single person there and was very enthusiastic and just a genuinely nice guy; the OPen division for new racers is free and awesome to participate in with your children and they made them feel like superstars; overall it was just a fun, low stress event that I would do again in a heartbeat! Oh, and when you're finished racing, you're considered a "HITman" (as opposed to an Ironman)! Haha!!

2012-08-18 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4368997

User image

Round Rock

mmez - 2012-08-18 1:16 AM He guys!! Just got our phone and Internet hooked up and was able to call back to the US for the first time since we left in June! We also received our shipment of household goods (aka all our boxes from the movers). I haven't had a chance to get my bike to the shop to have it built back up due to working some long days and trying to get unpacked. Needless to say, I'm going a bit stir crazy! To answer a question about the HITS series, yes I have participated in a couple of their events. I think the price discount is awesome and I've been bugging Mark Wilson to bring the series over here to Europe! A few things about the HITS race you should know before you sign up (just in case these things are important to you): you won't find a big Expo (at least not at the two I participated in); the shirt was the same for all of their races (think concert-style with just a listing of where all the races are behind held - nothing specific to your particular race location); you may not even get a shirt if they don't have enough; no cool backpack or swag bag; the medals are also generic and cheap quality (think plastic with a sticker in the center); the post race food selection was pretty limited; no fancy custom swim cap; no 3-deep AG awards, but a 1-deep award for every age (1st place age M34, 1st place age M35, etc). Okay, so these are the big things that I think might impact a persons decision if they are concerned about the above. With that being said, there were tons of police out on the course making sure that cars did not impede the racers; mark Wilson made an effort to meet every single person there and was very enthusiastic and just a genuinely nice guy; the OPen division for new racers is free and awesome to participate in with your children and they made them feel like superstars; overall it was just a fun, low stress event that I would do again in a heartbeat! Oh, and when you're finished racing, you're considered a "HITman" (as opposed to an Ironman)! Haha!!

Thank you for all the insight in to their races. Good to get the inside scoop. How are the kids holding up to all the changes? And thank you and your family for serving our nation!

Bryan

2012-08-18 3:35 PM

User image

Round Rock

Matt - I am transitioning to running to do the Austin 1/2 Marathon in Feb 2013; Also working on my swiimming since that is my weakest area. My goal is to move forwarsd to doing an Olympic length race next year for my "A" race.

Bryan

2012-08-18 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
mmez - 2012-08-18 12:16 AMHe guys!! Just got our phone and Internet hooked up and was able to call back to the US for the first time since we left in June! We also received our shipment of household goods (aka all our boxes from the movers). I haven't had a chance to get my bike to the shop to have it built back up due to working some long days and trying to get unpacked. Needless to say, I'm going a bit stir crazy! To answer a question about the HITS series, yes I have participated in a couple of their events. I think the price discount is awesome and I've been bugging Mark Wilson to bring the series over here to Europe! A few things about the HITS race you should know before you sign up (just in case these things are important to you): you won't find a big Expo (at least not at the two I participated in); the shirt was the same for all of their races (think concert-style with just a listing of where all the races are behind held - nothing specific to your particular race location); you may not even get a shirt if they don't have enough; no cool backpack or swag bag; the medals are also generic and cheap quality (think plastic with a sticker in the center); the post race food selection was pretty limited; no fancy custom swim cap; no 3-deep AG awards, but a 1-deep award for every age (1st place age M34, 1st place age M35, etc). Okay, so these are the big things that I think might impact a persons decision if they are concerned about the above. With that being said, there were tons of police out on the course making sure that cars did not impede the racers; mark Wilson made an effort to meet every single person there and was very enthusiastic and just a genuinely nice guy; the OPen division for new racers is free and awesome to participate in with your children and they made them feel like superstars; overall it was just a fun, low stress event that I would do again in a heartbeat! Oh, and when you're finished racing, you're considered a "HITman" (as opposed to an Ironman)! Haha!!
Thanks for the info on the HITS series. The only thing that I think I'd be bummed about is the finisher medal. I also think the price difference would help ease my pain. The entry for the ironman Herman Texas is $650. Hits woodland park is $150. My wife thinks that's better than a medal that goes into a drawer and only gets looked at when we move. She's probably right.
2012-08-19 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

mmez - 2012-08-18 12:16 AM He guys!! Just got our phone and Internet hooked up and was able to call back to the US for the first time since we left in June! We also received our shipment of household goods (aka all our boxes from the movers). I haven't had a chance to get my bike to the shop to have it built back up due to working some long days and trying to get unpacked. Needless to say, I'm going a bit stir crazy! To answer a question about the HITS series, yes I have participated in a couple of their events. I think the price discount is awesome and I've been bugging Mark Wilson to bring the series over here to Europe! A few things about the HITS race you should know before you sign up (just in case these things are important to you): you won't find a big Expo (at least not at the two I participated in); the shirt was the same for all of their races (think concert-style with just a listing of where all the races are behind held - nothing specific to your particular race location); you may not even get a shirt if they don't have enough; no cool backpack or swag bag; the medals are also generic and cheap quality (think plastic with a sticker in the center); the post race food selection was pretty limited; no fancy custom swim cap; no 3-deep AG awards, but a 1-deep award for every age (1st place age M34, 1st place age M35, etc). Okay, so these are the big things that I think might impact a persons decision if they are concerned about the above. With that being said, there were tons of police out on the course making sure that cars did not impede the racers; mark Wilson made an effort to meet every single person there and was very enthusiastic and just a genuinely nice guy; the OPen division for new racers is free and awesome to participate in with your children and they made them feel like superstars; overall it was just a fun, low stress event that I would do again in a heartbeat! Oh, and when you're finished racing, you're considered a "HITman" (as opposed to an Ironman)! Haha!!

Mariah!! You're back online- hooray!

2012-08-19 5:39 PM
in reply to: #4369369

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
katartizo - 2012-08-18 2:35 PM

Matt - I am transitioning to running to do the Austin 1/2 Marathon in Feb 2013; Also working on my swiimming since that is my weakest area. My goal is to move forwarsd to doing an Olympic length race next year for my "A" race.

Bryan

Bryan,

Awesome, man!  Let me know if you need a training plan for the 1/2 marathon.  That's a really, really fun distance.  It's pretty easy to train for, too!  Which Oly are you looking at for 2013?

2012-08-20 10:29 AM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

hi all, I've been slammed at work and with getting my son off to school again, but I still make time to follow everyone's posts Laughing Welcome back Mariah!

Seems like everyone is busy training. I guess the offseason will start soon for triathlon. What's everyone's goals for the offseason or next year? It sounds like a lot of people are focusing on half or full marathons in the near future.

I hope to do an Olympic distance tri next summer so I am trying to build mileage/endurance running and biking. I rode 27 miles last Thursday and it wasn't bad at all. And no falls in a long time, hopefully that's over! If anyone has guidance about how to train for a longer distance during the offseason, I'd be grateful for the advice.  

I have one more tri, next Saturday. My first OWS. Looking forward to it. Happy training everyone!

2012-08-20 11:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

I finally got around to re-sizing the rest of the pictures from Seattle. I also attached one from the local 5k on July 4. Notice that I now run with a hat on, even without a cloud in the sky.

Steve

(rain.seattle.jpg)

(sheri.steve.seattle.jpg)

(brother.seattle.jpg)

(sidney5k.hat.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
rain.seattle.jpg (49KB - 10 downloads)
sheri.steve.seattle.jpg (18KB - 1 downloads)
brother.seattle.jpg (35KB - 9 downloads)
sidney5k.hat.jpg (47KB - 11 downloads)
2012-08-21 9:13 PM

Hey Steve!  Good pics! 

Thanks everyone for the advice.  After I did that 6 mile run with the ALL OUT .2mile SPRINT-turns out I sort of strained the inside of my left leg running on a slanted area of the concrete, (to get away from the den of snakes). (lol)  I did take three days off, babied it, and I'm back to normal.  I did my 7 mile run last Sunday and it was much much better run with no soreness afterward. 

I am following my own made-by-me customized plan.  I looked at a few plans on the internet, got some ideas, but ultimately because of my disasterous schedule, no one's plans would work for me.  I am doing progressive mileage (one long run on Sundays, one medium long run, two short runs, each week only progresses 10% total mileage).  I didn't plan any taper weeks (except the week before the race), but scheduled several times where the mileage doesn't progress, mainly because I am bound to have schedule interruptions/soreness, or something that will naturally create a taper week. I am good at listening to my body too. If I plan a taper week this week, you can bet money that next week I'll have to miss some.  Some of my friends are in a local running club-they get emails telling them what to do, where the route is, and it talks about running fast, slow, changing your cadence, etc.  I would love to do that type of training, just don't have the flexibility to get outside and run a route on a whim.  (Single mom, running only on lunch break and can only do long run on Sunday afternoons).   I do still swim, but haven't had time to get on the bike and I MISS IT. 

OHHHHH and I got a sweeeet deal on the MOTOACTV GPS watch.  A little bit more of a watch than I needed, but a deal I couldn't pass up, so that big bad boy sits heavily on my arm now, telling me I'm running too fast and that's why I'm dying.   Yep, it took me two separate runs to discover my speed was wacko and no wonder it was so much harder running outside than on the treadmill where I set my own pace and run comfortably.  I think that's why my 7 mile run (with the watch) was so much better than the 6 mile (without the watch).  I'll try not to depend on the watch in case it dies on  me the day of the race (I learn so much on BT), but I definetly am getting a sense of how to run outside at a decent pace I can keep up for longer. 

I don't have a smart phone to download any training apps.  Other than progressing mileage, anybody have any good info on "improving your run"? 

2012-08-22 11:06 AM

User image

New user
Seattle
Subject: Race Report!

Hi guys!  At last my first tri on my own.  It is a bit long, but hope you enjoy it.  Many thanks to all of you and Super Matt for sharing your own experiences and knowledge.  Melinda

Danskin 2012 Race Report

Or Saucony Down!

This was it!  A year after volunteering at the Danskin, this time I was one of the competitors!  And what a year it has been!  I have met so many interesting, helpful, supportive, and ding dong scary people involved in this sport, some in person, some online, all amazing.  When I started
I didn’t have a bike, couldn’t run 1/3 of the way down the block (and now I know “the block” is about ¼ mile), and couldn’t make it the length ofa 25 yard pool doing the freestyle.  But, I was down 30 lbs thanks to Weight Watchers and ready to get fit!

So after a typical night of pre-race rest, also known as one-eye-on-the-clock-every-hour-of-the-night
 rest, I was up at 4:30 AM.  I was determined to have my breakfast 2 hours before I entered the water and dutifully ate up my steel cut oats and V-8!  Also some water to be properly hydrated.  Besides if Ryan Lochte could pee in the pool, I could use Lake Washington if I was in a bind!

Everything was packed in my “tri” backpack, the bike had been racked the day before, and my sleepy but very supportive husband and I headed for Genessee Park – the location of the 2012 Danskin Seattle.  It was still dark and it was drizzling.  Although the last few days had been in the 90’s,  today was supposed to be cooler with a chance of thunderstorms.  The possibility of electrification on an open water swim, ahh, what a sport!

And there they were - streams of women making their way in the semi-dawn to the bathrooms at the transition area.  It seemed to me as I walked along that path in the dark that most of them were young, thin, and fit.  But in reality the Danskin is such an open and supportive event, in the true light of day, every age and every shape was there including the 55-59 Age Grouper, First Time Danskinner, me.

Technically, this was not my first triathlon.  I’d done a relay with my family as the bike leg on my new bike in June, and a 400 yd, 14 mi, 3mi Sprint sponsored by Seattle Dilettante Chocolates along with a fabulous Luna Chix “Buddy” (thanks again Dana!!). Really, is there ever enough chocolate?!!  The Luna Chix tri team and cycling team are non-competitive volunteers sponsored by Luna, support the Breast Cancer Fund, and offer activities and clinics during the race season that support every
level of woman to get out and play outside. They have been amazing!

But in the jargon of the sport, the Danskin was my “A” race.  Every time anybody asked why I was
training, the answer for the last year has been “The Danskin”.  I’m going to do the Danskin.  My husband and I took a vacation to mountain bike in Utah because I needed more bike time to get ready to do the Danskin.  I went to a sports conference sponsored by Sally Edwards’ Heart Zone Training that was WAY over my head because I wanted to train better for the Danskin.  I sent a bike BACK to REI because it just didn’t fit right and I wanted the right bike to do the Danskin.  I got up at 5:00 AM on Saturday mornings in the winter to swim with a local multisports group, Raise the Bar, to learn to swim to do the Danskin.  You get the picture.  It was my mantra.

So here I was at last. On the grounds, relatively calm, and ready to give it my best shot.  My goal was to finish in 2 hours.  OK, OK, all you hard cores that are still even reading this, it’s not blazing, but I did the Dilettante in about 2 hours and this swim was ½ mile instead of ¼ mile so I thought it was doable.  This is the point where I must admit my running is in progress.  My practice run time
is down from an initial 20 minute mile, to between 12 and 13.  I don’t run enough because I like swimming and biking better but I know what I need to do. Run more.

Entering the transition area, I had to set down my backpack to show my arm marking and that was not wise.  My running shoes were stuffed each one in a side pocket of the pack.  I picked up the pack and sauntered down to B4 where my beautiful bike was racked. I set out all my gear for the ransition and discovered only one running shoe was sitting in the pack.  My age group was the 5th wave and I had just enough time to saunter more quickly back to the transition area entrance to see if the check in volunteers had seen my shoe.  Nope.

Sigh.  Calm.  Go get ready for the swim.  Think about possible solutions.  Look for husband to possibly ask about the shoe.   I got into the wetsuit without difficulty (was all the Glide I had smeared on my body that morning the reason?), put on my wet socks (yes, I am a wimp and I cannot walk on rocks or pebbles), grabbed the cap, ear plugs and goggles and headed down to dip in the water before the swim.  A friend was in the third wave and I hoped to wave her off as well.  Wow.  What a sight!  All the light blue caps of my age group were on bodies that looked a lot more trim and stern than I.  What the heck, I would make them look good!  Hoorah for age groupers!  It was like being point fodder at a dog show – the first time out dog that helps build the points for the future champions.

I knew I could swim the distance and my hope was to complete the ½ mile in about 20 minutes.  The
countdown was complete and off we went.  My brain was filled with all the instructions from friends and good books.  The first 200 yards went well as I swam to the outside of the group toward the first buoy.  Then my heart started racing, I couldn’t get a breath and the people, kayaks, yelling, and the people I was overtaking and the next wave starting to overtake me just got to me.  For the event I like the most, it was so discouraging not to be able to pull it together and do it well.  Thereafter I gave an aquatic demonstration of bobbing, treading, breaststroke, backstroke (really??), connected with short bouts of enormously well-executed freestyle. Or semi-well.  The last 200 yards were all freestyle and I kept swimming until my hand hit the mats, and I was off.   I said “Crap” and determined the next leg would be better.

As I was stripping off my wetsuit on the run (textbook), there was my dear husband waving a shoe in his hand!  The lost Saucony!  I grabbed it with a wide smile on my face and headed into the transition.  Things were looking up!  No entry into barefoot running today!

The transition went very smoothly (note: wet socks will be used only if the path to and from the swim is painful or painfully long) and I was running my bike to the mount line.  The bike course was along the lake, onto the I-90 bridge express lanes, onto Mercer Island and back.  My friend had warned me there was one hill at the beginning onto the bridge that she always walked up – a short and steep little sweety.  I started in the little ring to be ready to granny it if needed.  Oh baby, it was
needed but I made it.  I was determined to stay in a race frame of mind and I loved it! It was such a great feeling to know that I absolutely did my best and probably couldn’t have done any better on that day or at that time.  Veterans that might still be reading, please ignore the next sentence.  I clipped in from beginning to end.  Yes, it made a huge difference, and when a biker went down on a narrow bit I unclipped appropriately and didn’t cause an even greater disaster.

As I was passing people on the bike, I did wish I could convey to them not to feel bad.  They would get to show me their stuff on the run, and I would be ready to admire the heck out of them as they floated by.

Next transition, smooth.  Both shoes present. The first ½ mile, the deadly brick feeling.  Then two things happened.  It was the last event of my Danskin!  There was no way I was going to walk.  All those mornings running around the block (6 times to equal 3 miles) over the last year, with the dog, without the dog, in the rain, in the drizzle, in the gray semi-rain (well, it is Seattle after all), tossing almonds into the front yard to keep count of how many laps I’d done (why don’t we have at least one almond tree sprouting yet?) was coming together. 

Secondly, the Chi running kicked in.  Yes, another of my forays into training techniques.  I focused on posture, pictured the finish line and how quickly it was going to happen, and settled into enjoying every step.  I watched as my fellow bikers ran past me (I did mention that this is not my strong suit?), I thanked the volunteers, and at the last water station I was amazed to see that one of my neighbors on that self-same block I have circled endlessly, was there handing out water!  How cool was that!  I had no idea.  One mile left and a kick start to get up the last hill and push hard for the line.

I missed my goal of 2 hours by 3 minutes. I sank the swim, killed the bike, and was in my version of running delight on the run.   I had a fabulous experience along with women of every shape, size, and age, getting out there and just doing it.   Yes, I will continue to train, meet wonderful and crazy people, and keep the faith that fit is a lot better than not fit.

Epilogue

When I went to clean up my transition area and head home I could not find my ear plugs that I love (little purple squishy things) and once home, there was something majorly wrong with my bike.  I had been practicing changing the back tire one week earlier.  Apparently, I had not snugged it very well because it was only those blessed lawyer’s lips that was holding the back tire in place.  I had no
idea.  Thank God, I am here to tell myself and anyone else, double check everything on your bike before you ride.  And the ear plugs?  Fell out of the missing Saucony when I took of the shoes to take a shower.  I ran the whole race on ear plugs.  Something to be said for adrenalin and Chi running!!!

Melinda

Enjoy your race!

2012-08-22 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4374965

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Subject: RE: Race Report!

Great race report! What a great feeling to ace your A race. And glad you found your shoe! What are swim socks, by the way? Like the swim booties? Sounds like a great experience, congrats!

melindacumming - 2012-08-21 12:06 PM

Hi guys!  At last my first tri on my own.  It is a bit long, but hope you enjoy it.  Many thanks to all of you and Super Matt for sharing your own experiences and knowledge.  Melinda

Danskin 2012 Race Report

Or Saucony Down!

This was it!  A year after volunteering at the Danskin, this time I was one of the competitors!  And what a year it has been!  I have met so many interesting, helpful, supportive, and ding dong scary people involved in this sport, some in person, some online, all amazing.  When I started
I didn’t have a bike, couldn’t run 1/3 of the way down the block (and now I know “the block” is about ¼ mile), and couldn’t make it the length ofa 25 yard pool doing the freestyle.  But, I was down 30 lbs thanks to Weight Watchers and ready to get fit!

So after a typical night of pre-race rest, also known as one-eye-on-the-clock-every-hour-of-the-night
 rest, I was up at 4:30 AM.  I was determined to have my breakfast 2 hours before I entered the water and dutifully ate up my steel cut oats and V-8!  Also some water to be properly hydrated.  Besides if Ryan Lochte could pee in the pool, I could use Lake Washington if I was in a bind!

Everything was packed in my “tri” backpack, the bike had been racked the day before, and my sleepy but very supportive husband and I headed for Genessee Park – the location of the 2012 Danskin Seattle.  It was still dark and it was drizzling.  Although the last few days had been in the 90’s,  today was supposed to be cooler with a chance of thunderstorms.  The possibility of electrification on an open water swim, ahh, what a sport!

And there they were - streams of women making their way in the semi-dawn to the bathrooms at the transition area.  It seemed to me as I walked along that path in the dark that most of them were young, thin, and fit.  But in reality the Danskin is such an open and supportive event, in the true light of day, every age and every shape was there including the 55-59 Age Grouper, First Time Danskinner, me.

Technically, this was not my first triathlon.  I’d done a relay with my family as the bike leg on my new bike in June, and a 400 yd, 14 mi, 3mi Sprint sponsored by Seattle Dilettante Chocolates along with a fabulous Luna Chix “Buddy” (thanks again Dana!!). Really, is there ever enough chocolate?!!  The Luna Chix tri team and cycling team are non-competitive volunteers sponsored by Luna, support the Breast Cancer Fund, and offer activities and clinics during the race season that support every
level of woman to get out and play outside. They have been amazing!

But in the jargon of the sport, the Danskin was my “A” race.  Every time anybody asked why I was
training, the answer for the last year has been “The Danskin”.  I’m going to do the Danskin.  My husband and I took a vacation to mountain bike in Utah because I needed more bike time to get ready to do the Danskin.  I went to a sports conference sponsored by Sally Edwards’ Heart Zone Training that was WAY over my head because I wanted to train better for the Danskin.  I sent a bike BACK to REI because it just didn’t fit right and I wanted the right bike to do the Danskin.  I got up at 5:00 AM on Saturday mornings in the winter to swim with a local multisports group, Raise the Bar, to learn to swim to do the Danskin.  You get the picture.  It was my mantra.

So here I was at last. On the grounds, relatively calm, and ready to give it my best shot.  My goal was to finish in 2 hours.  OK, OK, all you hard cores that are still even reading this, it’s not blazing, but I did the Dilettante in about 2 hours and this swim was ½ mile instead of ¼ mile so I thought it was doable.  This is the point where I must admit my running is in progress.  My practice run time
is down from an initial 20 minute mile, to between 12 and 13.  I don’t run enough because I like swimming and biking better but I know what I need to do. Run more.

Entering the transition area, I had to set down my backpack to show my arm marking and that was not wise.  My running shoes were stuffed each one in a side pocket of the pack.  I picked up the pack and sauntered down to B4 where my beautiful bike was racked. I set out all my gear for the ransition and discovered only one running shoe was sitting in the pack.  My age group was the 5th wave and I had just enough time to saunter more quickly back to the transition area entrance to see if the check in volunteers had seen my shoe.  Nope.

Sigh.  Calm.  Go get ready for the swim.  Think about possible solutions.  Look for husband to possibly ask about the shoe.   I got into the wetsuit without difficulty (was all the Glide I had smeared on my body that morning the reason?), put on my wet socks (yes, I am a wimp and I cannot walk on rocks or pebbles), grabbed the cap, ear plugs and goggles and headed down to dip in the water before the swim.  A friend was in the third wave and I hoped to wave her off as well.  Wow.  What a sight!  All the light blue caps of my age group were on bodies that looked a lot more trim and stern than I.  What the heck, I would make them look good!  Hoorah for age groupers!  It was like being point fodder at a dog show – the first time out dog that helps build the points for the future champions.

I knew I could swim the distance and my hope was to complete the ½ mile in about 20 minutes.  The
countdown was complete and off we went.  My brain was filled with all the instructions from friends and good books.  The first 200 yards went well as I swam to the outside of the group toward the first buoy.  Then my heart started racing, I couldn’t get a breath and the people, kayaks, yelling, and the people I was overtaking and the next wave starting to overtake me just got to me.  For the event I like the most, it was so discouraging not to be able to pull it together and do it well.  Thereafter I gave an aquatic demonstration of bobbing, treading, breaststroke, backstroke (really??), connected with short bouts of enormously well-executed freestyle. Or semi-well.  The last 200 yards were all freestyle and I kept swimming until my hand hit the mats, and I was off.   I said “Crap” and determined the next leg would be better.

As I was stripping off my wetsuit on the run (textbook), there was my dear husband waving a shoe in his hand!  The lost Saucony!  I grabbed it with a wide smile on my face and headed into the transition.  Things were looking up!  No entry into barefoot running today!

The transition went very smoothly (note: wet socks will be used only if the path to and from the swim is painful or painfully long) and I was running my bike to the mount line.  The bike course was along the lake, onto the I-90 bridge express lanes, onto Mercer Island and back.  My friend had warned me there was one hill at the beginning onto the bridge that she always walked up – a short and steep little sweety.  I started in the little ring to be ready to granny it if needed.  Oh baby, it was
needed but I made it.  I was determined to stay in a race frame of mind and I loved it! It was such a great feeling to know that I absolutely did my best and probably couldn’t have done any better on that day or at that time.  Veterans that might still be reading, please ignore the next sentence.  I clipped in from beginning to end.  Yes, it made a huge difference, and when a biker went down on a narrow bit I unclipped appropriately and didn’t cause an even greater disaster.

As I was passing people on the bike, I did wish I could convey to them not to feel bad.  They would get to show me their stuff on the run, and I would be ready to admire the heck out of them as they floated by.

Next transition, smooth.  Both shoes present. The first ½ mile, the deadly brick feeling.  Then two things happened.  It was the last event of my Danskin!  There was no way I was going to walk.  All those mornings running around the block (6 times to equal 3 miles) over the last year, with the dog, without the dog, in the rain, in the drizzle, in the gray semi-rain (well, it is Seattle after all), tossing almonds into the front yard to keep count of how many laps I’d done (why don’t we have at least one almond tree sprouting yet?) was coming together. 

Secondly, the Chi running kicked in.  Yes, another of my forays into training techniques.  I focused on posture, pictured the finish line and how quickly it was going to happen, and settled into enjoying every step.  I watched as my fellow bikers ran past me (I did mention that this is not my strong suit?), I thanked the volunteers, and at the last water station I was amazed to see that one of my neighbors on that self-same block I have circled endlessly, was there handing out water!  How cool was that!  I had no idea.  One mile left and a kick start to get up the last hill and push hard for the line.

I missed my goal of 2 hours by 3 minutes. I sank the swim, killed the bike, and was in my version of running delight on the run.   I had a fabulous experience along with women of every shape, size, and age, getting out there and just doing it.   Yes, I will continue to train, meet wonderful and crazy people, and keep the faith that fit is a lot better than not fit.

Epilogue

When I went to clean up my transition area and head home I could not find my ear plugs that I love (little purple squishy things) and once home, there was something majorly wrong with my bike.  I had been practicing changing the back tire one week earlier.  Apparently, I had not snugged it very well because it was only those blessed lawyer’s lips that was holding the back tire in place.  I had no
idea.  Thank God, I am here to tell myself and anyone else, double check everything on your bike before you ride.  And the ear plugs?  Fell out of the missing Saucony when I took of the shoes to take a shower.  I ran the whole race on ear plugs.  Something to be said for adrenalin and Chi running!!!

Melinda

Enjoy your race!

2012-08-22 5:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Congrats on a great race! That was a great race report too - especially the suspense when I was reading wondering if you were going to barefoot the run
2012-08-22 5:42 PM
in reply to: #4374271

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
newbie99 - 2012-08-21 8:13 PM

Hey Steve!  Good pics! 

Thanks everyone for the advice.  After I did that 6 mile run with the ALL OUT .2mile SPRINT-turns out I sort of strained the inside of my left leg running on a slanted area of the concrete, (to get away from the den of snakes). (lol)  I did take three days off, babied it, and I'm back to normal.  I did my 7 mile run last Sunday and it was much much better run with no soreness afterward. 

I am following my own made-by-me customized plan.  I looked at a few plans on the internet, got some ideas, but ultimately because of my disasterous schedule, no one's plans would work for me.  I am doing progressive mileage (one long run on Sundays, one medium long run, two short runs, each week only progresses 10% total mileage).  I didn't plan any taper weeks (except the week before the race), but scheduled several times where the mileage doesn't progress, mainly because I am bound to have schedule interruptions/soreness, or something that will naturally create a taper week. I am good at listening to my body too. If I plan a taper week this week, you can bet money that next week I'll have to miss some.  Some of my friends are in a local running club-they get emails telling them what to do, where the route is, and it talks about running fast, slow, changing your cadence, etc.  I would love to do that type of training, just don't have the flexibility to get outside and run a route on a whim.  (Single mom, running only on lunch break and can only do long run on Sunday afternoons).   I do still swim, but haven't had time to get on the bike and I MISS IT. 

OHHHHH and I got a sweeeet deal on the MOTOACTV GPS watch.  A little bit more of a watch than I needed, but a deal I couldn't pass up, so that big bad boy sits heavily on my arm now, telling me I'm running too fast and that's why I'm dying.   Yep, it took me two separate runs to discover my speed was wacko and no wonder it was so much harder running outside than on the treadmill where I set my own pace and run comfortably.  I think that's why my 7 mile run (with the watch) was so much better than the 6 mile (without the watch).  I'll try not to depend on the watch in case it dies on  me the day of the race (I learn so much on BT), but I definetly am getting a sense of how to run outside at a decent pace I can keep up for longer. 

I don't have a smart phone to download any training apps.  Other than progressing mileage, anybody have any good info on "improving your run"? 

April,

That's great.  I'm so glad a GPS is helping you out with your training.  As far as improving your run, try to run with other runners.  I've found that's the single best way to get better.  Your body will improve naturally as you make the time to get your long runs in, too.  Of course it goes without saying that reading the BT forums should help you, as well.

2012-08-22 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4374965

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Race Report!

Melinda,

This is a fantastic report!  Congratulations on completing "The Danskin"!!!!!  Let's work on your swimming, and you'll be a beast in no time.  You do realize that's where the extra 3 minutes was lost?  Easy to overcome- plan on a personal best next year.

Still, I loved reading this.  So awesome!

Matt

2012-08-23 9:34 PM

MELINDA!  What an awesome report!    Very funny, too!!!!  Thanks for sharing! 
2012-09-10 12:28 PM

User image

What a great race report Melinda! Congratulations!!!

I have not had a lot of time to do anything but work and get settled in our new home in a new country. We have not traveled much, mostly due to work (the hospital I am at now is the first stop for injured military members out of the sandbox(es), so needless to say, sitting up at the hospital for 5 hours on a Sunday makes my life difficult to plan).

So anyway, I was able to find someone to fill in for me on Saturday so I could do a local half marathon. I talked a couple of ladies into doing it with me even though none of them had ever done a half marathon. One lady found out she was pregnant after she signed up, so her husband made her walk the entire thing. One of them had a stroke in May of this year (she is only 27 years old), so she was also walking. Needless to say, I decided to walk with them. 

I talked to the race director and was told that there was no time limit, so we would be able to take our time! One lady told me that she was worried she would be last because I was going to leave her, so I made sure that she did not come in last. At the finish line I was told that since we came in together, they would list our names alphabetically, meaning the lady that really didn't want to come in last would actually be listed as last, so I talked to the RD and asked (begged) that my name go last. I was so happy that they actually agreed. I guess when they said "If you're not first, you're last" that it really applied to me!

I should be getting my bike from the shop any day now! We found an amazing German bike shop that has just about everything a cyclist could ask for! They have an inventory of over 400 bikes and tons of wheelsets and everything else you can imagine! I have to make sure I don't bring any money in with me, or else it would not be a good day for my bank account

Other than that, I hope to start getting in some good training. I won a free Spinervals DVD in one of their trivia contests and will be getting that soon. I also hope to finish downloading the last Sufferfest video's that I don't yet own. Winter is coming here and I will need some good bike training since my outdoor opportunities will be limited!

Hope all is well - Have a great training week!

Edited by mmez 2012-09-10 12:29 PM

2012-09-10 5:07 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Hey Mariah-

Thanks for the update!!!  Glad to hear things are settling in for you over in Germany.

I'm entering my umpteenth week of marathon training.  This week I've got 40 miles on tap!  Kind of scary to think I'm running this much and I haven't gotten injured.  I used to think a couple of 5K's every week was a solid running schedule LOL.  The real test will come on Sunday- we have our 20 miler set.  Running from the north shore of Chicago down to 79th and Lake Shore Drive.  20 miles of fun.... NOT.  Actually it is, but I like to complain a little

Marathon training has been interesting to say the least.  I'm always tired, I'm always hungry, I'm somewhat grumpy- mainly because if I'm not recovering from a run I am getting ready to run again.  The thought of raising money for the American Cancer Society keeps me moving though.  I've got about $350 to get to $1000, so I'm pretty sure I will make it.

How is everyone else's fall running coming along?

2012-09-10 9:30 PM

Mariah, it's good to hear from you again!  Hearing your story and how your family is doing takes me out of my little world, I really enjoy that.

I did the 5k MUD RUN and it was awesome fun with so much mud and 17 obstacles.  Definetly will do again.

My training has turned into RUN EAT EAT RUN EAT SWIM EAT EAT RUN EAT RUN. Matt-you nearly quoted me, I'm hungry and tired all the time, but the only reason I'm not usually grouchy is I'm too tired to be grouchy. Smile 

I had a really good 10 mile run yesterday, and I'm so thankful for it.  For a few weeks as I kept adding miles, I was getting frustrated at how pitiful I was doing (for my goals).  THEN I discovered a significant problem I was having that I had just accepted as part of life. . . it's called heat and humidity while running on blacktop.  I had a poor attitude going into the run Sunday, but as I hit mile 4 and realized I wasn't struggling anywhere near as much as usual, I ran the entire 10 miles only stopping for water at my car (every 2 m), and did it in good time!  It was a nice 78 degree dry day, and my face wasn't blood red and I didn't look like I was going to die, didn't feel like it either. 

Every run presents a new and different "pain" that usually resolves.  This week it's my knees.  I swam today "active recovery", I think tomorrow will be ok. This week is when I consider that I'm running significant miles (in my opinion), so I'm trying to be careful.   I'm just attributing it to my body adjusting, but I do wish I was in my 20's again.  ha!

I respect you marathon people, but you are all NUTS. LOL.              

Have a good time training, work hard!

2012-09-10 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
April, my new found weapon against heat- Salt Stick capsules.  They're amazing.  I've powered through 16 and 19 mile runs in almost 90 degree heat thanks to them.  They're about $20 for 100 pills, and worth every penny!
2012-09-13 11:44 AM

User image

WooHoo!!! Just picked up 3 of our 5 bikes! My tri bike is the last that needs to be built. I will be putting my road bike on the trainer this weekend and getting a solid Sufferfest coupled with TrainerRoad workout accomplished! I'm sure my sit-bones are going to be thanking me!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25