BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-08 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4567829

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
kenj - 2013-01-08 9:55 AM
zee744 - 2013-01-08 9:30 AM

Hope everyone has had a good start to the week! Should everything go as planned I've already found a pretty sweet deal on a car. 

Back to tri's...I got my Garmin 910xt in the mail yesterday! Man is this thing sweet! There is sooo much it can do. I haven't even used it yet but would recommend it to anyone!

I have both the 910 and 310, yes I am a gear junkie, and I prefer the 910 for most things.  The swim data, although sometimes the truth hurts, is tremendous. 

But the bike data for those that use power is great.  A lot of the data was available from the 310 but you couldn't see it until it was downloaded.  But with the 910 you can display a 3 second or 10 second average which smooths out the current number.  Also, my coach looks at TSS which is total stress score and even goes as far as to tell me XX:XX time or XXX TSS, whichever comes first. 

The only problem I am having is with cadence.  For some reason it appears to be way high, and I suspect it is getting data from both the speed/cadence sensor and the power tap.  The 310 doesn't have this issue, but I have messed with the settings and haven't figured it out yet. 

You will enjoy the 910 I am sure.

If you switch back and forth between bikes or use different devices on the same bike the garmin will drop it's own speed/cadence sensor and then read it off of your power meter, if you have one.  This is an estimate, and cyclops estimate is awful!  just go back to settings and re-search for speed/cadence sensor and it will read off the the garmin sensor again.  That should fix it.

2013-01-08 10:07 AM
in reply to: #4567800

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2013-01-08 9:45 AM
Meulen - 2013-01-08 10:41 AM
kenj - 2013-01-08 9:37 AM
Meulen - 2013-01-08 8:33 AM
kenj - 2013-01-08 4:50 AM

So whos training today?  I have a bike session with some Z4 intervals.  Then some strength work tonight. 

Looks like those of us in the northeast are getting a January thaw this week, looking forward to getting outside for some running!

Had an awful day yesterday.  Started out tired, couldn't sleep the night before.  Slept 1-2 hours than headed off to work at 4am trying to stay awake.  I hit the gym before I got home so I wasn't tempted to vege on the couch.  Did my pool run.  That started out ok, but it's really starting to suck.  The bottom of the pool is tearing up my feet.  I went home and put some clothes on to hit the kettlebells/weights and realized my feet were dripping blood all over.  After my awesome wife patched me up with self adhesive animal tape and gauze, I did my weights while I was making dinner.  Then off to bed and promptly over-slept for work today! LOL

Aren't you supposed to do the pool running in the deep end? Undecided 

Catching up on your rest, especially in January, is a good thing. 

There's two ways to do it.  Completely submerged or in the regular lane lines that are 4-5' deep.  I'm doing it in the lane lines.  There's no deep end at my gym, and you need a weight and preferably some breathing equipment to do it in the deep end.

I see, the people that do it in my pool wear a belt floating in the deep end and their feet never touch the bottom.  But they all turnaround and are only in the deep end where it is 8 or 10 feet deep.  There is actually one guy that competes to win in many of the local and regional races that does his recovery runs there.  60 - 90 minutes and he doesn't use a floatation belt.  Not sure how he does it as he has single digit body fat percentage. 

That would be a great workout!  I think I need a little impact though to start coming back from the PF.  So my coach has me running the lanes.  I don't know how you would move anywhere though if you never touched the bottom! LOL

2013-01-08 10:49 AM
in reply to: #4565375

User image

Expert
San Jose
CyborgQueen - 2013-01-06 10:06 PM
zee744 - 2013-01-06 12:07 PM
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-06 2:07 PM

On a totally non tri note I foster for our local animal shelter. I usually take in kittens and grow them up and socialize them so they are more adoptable. I decided to take on a mama and her day old puppies this time around for some puppy fun. Here is a recent video of them at 6 weeks. We're hoping that most of them will be 'pre-adopted' when people see all of their cuteness. Otherwise, they will still go quick once they are back at the shelter. The big black dog is ours. He's 13 and we got him from a shelter when he was a year old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-b74ViBzA

How cute! I adopted two kittens about 10 months ago, definitely the way to go. My boys, Calvin and Hobbes, are awesome!

When I adopted a buff colored kitty, I named him Hobbes! I was hoping to get another boy kitty and name him Calvin, but we moved to Vegas and named our animals Vegas theme: Stardust (dog), Blackjack, (RIP from FIP, BEST cat ever...I was so pi$$ed when he died), Reno, Keno (who was Reno's blood sister, she had FeLV, and wasn't tested by the rescue, only 1 kitten from the litter was tested and they assumed all was negative...again, I was upset when I had to put her to sleep after she turned for the worse), Penny and Telly (sisters named after Penn and Teller). After 5 cats and a dog, it's enough for this household!!!

I think the number of pets in your house should be a little more fluid that that! Two of any one kind is usually my limit.

2013-01-08 10:52 AM
in reply to: #4565893

User image

Expert
San Jose
Meulen - 2013-01-07 8:05 AM
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-06 1:07 PM

On a totally non tri note I foster for our local animal shelter. I usually take in kittens and grow them up and socialize them so they are more adoptable. I decided to take on a mama and her day old puppies this time around for some puppy fun. Here is a recent video of them at 6 weeks. We're hoping that most of them will be 'pre-adopted' when people see all of their cuteness. Otherwise, they will still go quick once they are back at the shelter. The big black dog is ours. He's 13 and we got him from a shelter when he was a year old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-b74ViBzA

That's GREAT!!   My wife worked at the local humain society at one time.  We ended up with 2dogs/3cats/2 lizards/and fish at one time!  We've always done rescues, but 2 of the cats were my wifes before we were married.  Sadly, half of them have passed.  We actually just lost a cat about a month ago.  My wife still works as a vet assistant, and owns a pet sitting/taxi business.  She does tri's and runs for team PAWS every year and we donate and raise money/pet supplies for them from the business too.  Love our animals!!

Your wife and I have a lot in common. I used to be a vet tech. For a while we kept taking in one legged animals. I'm not sure how they kept finding me!

2013-01-08 10:54 AM
in reply to: #4566656

User image

Expert
San Jose

RunningJoke - 2013-01-07 1:23 PM 39 degrees on the deck????????  OK, I'm done whining for the week.    Johanne, you are bada$$.

It's hard getting out of a warm bed with my warm husband next to me when I know how cold it is out! Probably a big part of why I took most of December off from the pool

2013-01-08 11:00 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Expert
San Jose

After doing a Spinnerval workout on Sunday, my legs were tired for yesterdays run. Could of been the kicking at swimming too. They feel better today so I'm hoping my run later will be better. I have a strength work out too. I'm off to ride my horse at drill team then I'll do my workouts in the afternoon today.

Happy Tuesday to all!

2013-01-08 11:16 AM
in reply to: #4567869

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Meulen - 2013-01-08 10:07 AM
kenj - 2013-01-08 9:45 AM
Meulen - 2013-01-08 10:41 AM
kenj - 2013-01-08 9:37 AM
Meulen - 2013-01-08 8:33 AM
kenj - 2013-01-08 4:50 AM

So whos training today?  I have a bike session with some Z4 intervals.  Then some strength work tonight. 

Looks like those of us in the northeast are getting a January thaw this week, looking forward to getting outside for some running!

Had an awful day yesterday.  Started out tired, couldn't sleep the night before.  Slept 1-2 hours than headed off to work at 4am trying to stay awake.  I hit the gym before I got home so I wasn't tempted to vege on the couch.  Did my pool run.  That started out ok, but it's really starting to suck.  The bottom of the pool is tearing up my feet.  I went home and put some clothes on to hit the kettlebells/weights and realized my feet were dripping blood all over.  After my awesome wife patched me up with self adhesive animal tape and gauze, I did my weights while I was making dinner.  Then off to bed and promptly over-slept for work today! LOL

Aren't you supposed to do the pool running in the deep end? Undecided 

Catching up on your rest, especially in January, is a good thing. 

There's two ways to do it.  Completely submerged or in the regular lane lines that are 4-5' deep.  I'm doing it in the lane lines.  There's no deep end at my gym, and you need a weight and preferably some breathing equipment to do it in the deep end.

I see, the people that do it in my pool wear a belt floating in the deep end and their feet never touch the bottom.  But they all turnaround and are only in the deep end where it is 8 or 10 feet deep.  There is actually one guy that competes to win in many of the local and regional races that does his recovery runs there.  60 - 90 minutes and he doesn't use a floatation belt.  Not sure how he does it as he has single digit body fat percentage. 

That would be a great workout!  I think I need a little impact though to start coming back from the PF.  So my coach has me running the lanes.  I don't know how you would move anywhere though if you never touched the bottom! LOL

I used the belt in the deep end - really tough to get a good workout in, you really had to focus.  With the belt you mostly stay in one place, but there is a little forward movement if you lean forward. You should try water socks for your feet if they are getting beat up by the bottom (that is what all the little old ladies use for water aerobics) - but seriously that would help if you can swallow your pride Wink

2013-01-08 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
I have an 1 1/2 hour trainer ride then Master's skate ski class this evening - I may have to take off tomorrow as I am feeling pretty beat up!
2013-01-08 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4567829

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
kenj - 2013-01-08 10:55 AM

Hope everyone has had a good start to the week! Should everything go as planned I've already found a pretty sweet deal on a car. 

Back to tri's...I got my Garmin 910xt in the mail yesterday! Man is this thing sweet! There is sooo much it can do. I haven't even used it yet but would recommend it to anyone!

I have both the 910 and 310, yes I am a gear junkie, and I prefer the 910 for most things.  The swim data, although sometimes the truth hurts, is tremendous. 

But the bike data for those that use power is great.  A lot of the data was available from the 310 but you couldn't see it until it was downloaded.  But with the 910 you can display a 3 second or 10 second average which smooths out the current number.  Also, my coach looks at TSS which is total stress score and even goes as far as to tell me XX:XX time or XXX TSS, whichever comes first. 

The only problem I am having is with cadence.  For some reason it appears to be way high, and I suspect it is getting data from both the speed/cadence sensor and the power tap.  The 310 doesn't have this issue, but I have messed with the settings and haven't figured it out yet. 

I thought that power tap was in the rear wheel.  It does cadence too?  When I added the quarq, I took the cadence magnet off of the crank arm, so the speed/cadence sensor is just a speed sensor now.  The 910 just pulls from the quarq, but it does skip-jump once in a while, showing zero then 120 rpm, then settling back into the groove.

2013-01-08 1:37 PM
in reply to: #4568362

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
bdenehy - 2013-01-08 1:33 PM
kenj - 2013-01-08 10:55 AM

I thought that power tap was in the rear wheel.  It does cadence too?  When I added the quarq, I took the cadence magnet off of the crank arm, so the speed/cadence sensor is just a speed sensor now.  The 910 just pulls from the quarq, but it does skip-jump once in a while, showing zero then 120 rpm, then settling back into the groove.

The Powertap does do cadence too, it estimates it.  I'm not sure how but it jumps all over the place.  Not sure what the quarq does, but using the garmin cadence mine is pretty good

2013-01-08 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4568057

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

robingray_260 - 2013-01-08 12:19 PM I have an 1 1/2 hour trainer ride then Master's skate ski class this evening - I may have to take off tomorrow as I am feeling pretty beat up!

Sounds like a busy day of good training Robin!

2013-01-08 2:35 PM
in reply to: #4568018

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-08 12:00 PM

After doing a Spinnerval workout on Sunday, my legs were tired for yesterdays run. Could of been the kicking at swimming too. They feel better today so I'm hoping my run later will be better. I have a strength work out too. I'm off to ride my horse at drill team then I'll do my workouts in the afternoon today.

Happy Tuesday to all!

Have a great run!  I would think that riding horses would fatigue the legs some too?

2013-01-08 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4567860

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Meulen - 2013-01-08 11:04 AM

If you switch back and forth between bikes or use different devices on the same bike the garmin will drop it's own speed/cadence sensor and then read it off of your power meter, if you have one.  This is an estimate, and cyclops estimate is awful!  just go back to settings and re-search for speed/cadence sensor and it will read off the the garmin sensor again.  That should fix it.

I will try it again, it is good on the 310 but so far I haven't been able to get fixed on the 910.  I wonder if it is because it is actually not the garmin speed/cadence sensor.  It is the one that Trek makes and is built into the bike. 

2013-01-08 2:50 PM
in reply to: #4568529

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
kenj - 2013-01-08 2:38 PM

I will try it again, it is good on the 310 but so far I haven't been able to get fixed on the 910.  I wonder if it is because it is actually not the garmin speed/cadence sensor.  It is the one that Trek makes and is built into the bike. 

Not sure on the trek setup.  That may be the problem. 

I just booked my hotel for training camp in Monteray, CA today.  I'm pretty pumped to do this camp with my coach.  Gonna hurt, getting out of IL and into those mountains!!!!! Sealed

2013-01-08 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4568369

User image

Veteran
The quarq actually uses a sensor which you place on the frame to calculate the cadence. The power tap cadence is a calculation so it is not very accurate.
2013-01-08 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Still not over my cold. I went to the Dr today finally to get a antibiotic. I have managed two one hour trainer workouts this week, but it is better than nothing. Have not ran in two weeks but have gone out and walked the dogs 1.5 miles every day, but that is short of my goals for the time....

I am hoping to get better by the end of the week so I can pick up the pace... Seems like everyone is moving right along.

2013-01-08 3:29 PM

User image

Bill, I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and the most important thing that let's me get my training in is a gym with childcare facilities.  I drop them off for duck, duck, goose and games in the gym and go get my workout in, then I take them swimming.  My gym lets people "try" out the facilities for 3-5 days without charge, maybe there's something similar in your area?  Good luck!
2013-01-08 3:44 PM

User image

Small successes...my training plan has me doing some timed testing this week, which I generally try to get out of, but I did a 1000 yard time trial in the pool and decreased my average 100 speed by 10 seconds since last May!!  Now I'm trying to figure out how that happened...
2013-01-08 3:51 PM
in reply to: #4568661

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

RunningJoke - 2013-01-08 3:44 PM Small successes...my training plan has me doing some timed testing this week, which I generally try to get out of, but I did a 1000 yard time trial in the pool and decreased my average 100 speed by 10 seconds since last May!!  Now I'm trying to figure out how that happened...

woah!!! that's huge progress.  Congrats!

2013-01-08 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4568523

User image

Expert
San Jose
kenj - 2013-01-08 12:35 PM
50andgettingfit - 2013-01-08 12:00 PM

Happy Tuesday to all!

Have a great run!  I would think that riding horses would fatigue the legs some too?

It does somewhat but I ride regularly so it's not too bad. When I've come back from vacation, I feel it.

2013-01-08 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4568555

User image

Expert
San Jose
Meulen - 2013-01-08 12:50 PM
kenj - 2013-01-08 2:38 PM

Not sure on the trek setup.  That may be the problem. 

I just booked my hotel for training camp in Monteray, CA today.  I'm pretty pumped to do this camp with my coach.  Gonna hurt, getting out of IL and into those mountains!!!!! Sealed

Mountains build character When is camp? Hopefully when there is a lot of snow in Illinois.

2013-01-08 4:38 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Camp is in late April. Should be a good kick off to my season. I plan on racing a little more this year than I did last. The Palos HM is 2 weeks after camp, then 2 weeks later is xterra ft Custer, then Kansas 70.3! Then there's a month before Muncie 70.3. Not sure which race I'm doing before that yet. I'll finish the year up with USAT nationals and Naperville sprint. Maybe another xterra. Unless of course I magically win a spot in Vegas! Lol
2013-01-08 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4568661

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

RunningJoke - 2013-01-08 4:44 PM Small successes...my training plan has me doing some timed testing this week, which I generally try to get out of, but I did a 1000 yard time trial in the pool and decreased my average 100 speed by 10 seconds since last May!!  Now I'm trying to figure out how that happened...

That is excellent! Way to go!

2013-01-08 5:09 PM
in reply to: #4568568

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

ramiedd - 2013-01-08 3:59 PM Still not over my cold. I went to the Dr today finally to get a antibiotic. I have managed two one hour trainer workouts this week, but it is better than nothing. Have not ran in two weeks but have gone out and walked the dogs 1.5 miles every day, but that is short of my goals for the time.... I am hoping to get better by the end of the week so I can pick up the pace... Seems like everyone is moving right along.

Sorry about the cold, I know what you mean they aren't much fun! 

2013-01-08 5:10 PM
in reply to: #4568750

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2013-01-08 5:38 PM Camp is in late April. Should be a good kick off to my season. I plan on racing a little more this year than I did last. The Palos HM is 2 weeks after camp, then 2 weeks later is xterra ft Custer, then Kansas 70.3! Then there's a month before Muncie 70.3. Not sure which race I'm doing before that yet. I'll finish the year up with USAT nationals and Naperville sprint. Maybe another xterra. Unless of course I magically win a spot in Vegas! Lol

That sounds like a lot of fun!  I know all the cycling I did when I was in CA the hills are hard, but the roads are cycle friendly and the views are outstanding!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64