BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-03-31 12:20 PM
in reply to: #4546309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: RE: MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED

Happy Easter everyone!

I ran 7.75 this morning after Easter Mass.  My parents are coming over for some ham with trimmings.  Maybe a spin later on the trainer.  Our snow is starting to disappear, although our highs are only in the 30s the next few days.  Then a good warm up.  Maybe I'll get to ride outside here in MN by the end of the week. 

2013-03-31 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4680801

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Mike- great news on the disappearing snow. 

I ran 4 today but is was hot (78 deg) and sunny.

EKH - 2013-03-31 12:58 PM Terry - I did 2:18 on the trainer today and the pain on my sit bones was much much better today. 

Emile - my sit bone "discomfort" is specifically localized... no more chafing on the thighs or rolling over the single saddle nose. Just that one specific uncomfortable place. I'll put the bike back on the trainer this week and begin the breaking in phase. But, when I was riding, I didn't really notice it until I got bored or had stopped for traffic.

I signed up for a 100 mile for MS Ride - from Miami to Key Largo -overnight in the Keys- and back on April 20-21. Its 2 weeks before the Half Iron event in Titusville. Should be alot of fun.....

2013-03-31 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran

Happy Easter everyone!

I am a little sore from yoga yesterday - every week it seems that there's a different area where I can really feel that workout.

On the bike discussion, I opted for the entry level Felt road bike, not the women's specific one, and just got a new saddle for it. I had aero bars put on at the LBS.

2013-04-01 3:01 AM
in reply to: #4680876

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Congrats on the new bike, Melissa. I'm excited for you Smile.

Do you have any suggestions on how to incorporate some yoga exercises/stretches into a pre-workout routine?  

2013-04-01 6:15 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Melissa - Congrats on the new bike!  Post a pic of the new bike.

2013-04-01 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran

My absolute favorite yoga pose is the pigeon pose I love the feel of how it opens up the hips and glutes. I do the variation that she is doing in the last frame, where you lay down over the front bent leg. It really stretches and feels *great*.

This site shows a bunch of pre-run stretching poses. The last pose there, the lunge, also has a twist variation that you might want to try: twisting lunge I feel like it does a body good after a long run because it really targets the parts of the body that are "ignored", the sides all the way from the arm down to the hip.

Thanks for the congratulations on the bike... but full disclosure, I actually got it last year. It was a year-end close-out deal, so it's still technically new, right!? I do really like it, but I am nervous about the aero bars. I half-wish I had waited to have them installed, because I do most of my riding either on the trainer or with a group, and now I think I will feel a little bit self-conscious on those group rides. I am beginning to understand why cyclists end up with a garage full of different bicycles...

Emily - have you decided on a bike yet?

2013-04-02 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4682085

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Thanks Melissa- I do a "version" of the twisting lunge... it looks more like a rusty pretzel.... but it really stretches me out.  As far as the pigeon pose, I'll just work on the first picture for a week or so before i move on to the next photoWink

No worries on the aero bars.... I got used to mine on the trainer by getting aero for 2 minutes out of ten and then would just get down as much as I was able on the road.  As I have read and in my experience, In a group ride, it's ok to be aero if you're out front, or behind everybody.  It takes time to get accustomed to it.

2013-04-02 7:18 PM

User image

Boise, Idaho

UGH!  Just did my first run in the "heat".  Now Terry gets to laugh at me.  70°, sunny, 25% humidity.  And of course I just had to run in the hills.  Damn but did it feel good!

I decided to skip the first triathlon of the season this weekend.  It's a sprint where the swim portion is done on Friday in the pool and the bike and run are done the following day.  I've had my eye on the half marathon in May for so long that I think I'll just keep working on my distance.

I'm also keenly interested in one of the upcoming offroad triathlons as I prefer mountain biking and trail running but there are only 2 weeks between it and the half marathon.  What do you think?  Isn't 2 weeks sufficient time to rest?

As for my cancer - just wanted to let you guys know that I've decided to do "active surveillance".  This is where we're going to monitor my PSA actively for a time.  Then, depending on the values, I can make a decision on treatment if necessary.  Sorry I haven't been posting but I've been keeping up with your posts.  Congrats on the new bike!

2013-04-03 3:40 AM
in reply to: #4684272

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Ken- temperature is relative..... hot is hot regardless of the number. I can only imagine the feeling of finally being able to run outside for the first time after a long and cold winter.... when spring finally arrives.

I think 2 weeks is sufficient time to rest depending on the distance of the off road tri... the only concern I would imagine is the trail run and potential twists or sprains from that.

2013-04-03 6:22 AM
in reply to: #4684272

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

KenH - 2 weeks should be enough time between races.  Although I would decide which is your "A" race.  If the HM is your "A" race then race it hard and then go have fun and not worry about time on the tri.  Although if the tri is going to be your "A" race I would run the HM more like a training run.

Melissa - Thats when I got my new bike was at the end of the year and I still consider it brand new too.  Can you still ride on your hoods comfortably?  If so just stay on the hoods when riding in groups and work on riding in aero when you are by yourself, on trainer or in the front of group.

I was scheduled to run this morning but when I got up at 5am it was 39 degrees and raining.  I actually like running in the rain but not when it is 39.  I was suppose to run an hour so I decided to ride on the trainer for an hour instead.

2013-04-03 6:50 AM

User image

Veteran

KenH - Is that off-road tri a sprint, too? I would think 2 weeks is a good break between the two races. That sounds like a good approach to the cancer and keeps all your options open for later.

Emile - 39 and rain sounds way too cold for running, especially pre-dawn! That's a perfect day for an indoor workout.

Terry - That's good advice about slowly getting used to aero. I will let you know how it goes...

Mike - How's that spring thaw coming along?

It has been gorgeous here, but we are expecting rain tomorrow and Friday. Still, temperatures are up there in the 60s and up to 70. My last outdoor run was above 70 and bright sunshine, so it's definitely time to start to rethink my running plan. I haven't been waking up early for workouts, but that has to change.

On a sports note, I've been watching some great tennis this week. My oldest daughter is on the ball crew for the women's tennis tournament in town this week, so we try to go over there a few times during the tournament to watch and visit with her while she's not on the court. I love to watch good matches, especially doubles - it's so fast! My husband will go see Venus play tonight and I have tickets for the finals on Sunday.

I missed my swim workout yesterday and will try to make that up today, maybe add on one final trainer workout before I get the trainer out of the guest room to get ready for my mom and sister's family coming for a visit.

2013-04-03 8:35 AM

User image

Boise, Idaho
Mellisa - where do you live that you get to see Venus play?  Boise is hosting the Davis Cup this weekend and the single day tickets just went on sale.  My wife is going on Friday (she got invited to share a whole event ticket).  I may purchase a ticket to see either Isner or Djokovic over the weekend.  
2013-04-03 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4684760

User image

Veteran

watercamper - 2013-04-03 9:35 AM Mellisa - where do you live that you get to see Venus play?  Boise is hosting the Davis Cup this weekend and the single day tickets just went on sale.  My wife is going on Friday (she got invited to share a whole event ticket).  I may purchase a ticket to see either Isner or Djokovic over the weekend.  

This tournament is on Daniel Island, near Charleston, SC. It is so nice for the kids around here because of their big ball crew program, and just fun in general to see all the people we usually only see on TV. Also, early in the week, they never sell out. Tickets are easy to get and lots of discounts. So even when you can't see the famous people play, you can watch them practice, see them walking around... it's just neat.

How cool to the see Davis Cup! I can imagine that all of those games sell out quickly. Enjoy those matches!

2013-04-04 6:21 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Just got done watching the news and it looks after today we have a long string of days in the 70's!  Woahoo!  Looks like I might actually get to ride outside this weekend.

Got up this morning a did a brick workout.  45min on the trainer followed by a short 15min run.

2013-04-04 7:56 AM

User image

Looks like spring should be starting pretty soon here in Lincoln as well.  I am so ready for it to start.  I'm also really looking forward to May/June/July to get into biking and swimming focus.  Weekend camping trips with the family that include open water swimming + biking = Heaven!

2013-04-04 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Melissa - New is in the eye of the owner.  I find riding in my aero bars more comfortable than riding my road bike.  Most of my group rides are done with triathletes either on their tri bikes or road bikes and we have no issues getting aero.  It really shouldn't be an issue unless they ride a tight pace line.  The thaw has slowed.  Getting there but we still haven't hit 50 yet.  Maybe this weekend but then next week is low to mid 40s with rain/snow.  There is also still enough run off from all of the March snow we had that our great trout streams are still running high and muddy so I can't get out fishing either.  Double bummed.  Neat story about the tennis tournament. 

KenL - We camp a lot, too.  Plenty of time for training (and fishing) on our camping trips. 

KenH - I agree 2 weeks is enough time between races.  As Terry said a trail tri does have more potential for falls/injuries so maybe be a little more conservative. 

Our tri club annual spring party is on Saturday.  The bike shop I work at hosts it after hours.  This is the first year since the clubs inception 6 years ago I am not on the board.  Members get 20% off at the party so I will be ringing up some sales this year.  It will be good to reconnect with some of those I haven't seen for awhile and meet some of the newbies.     

2013-04-05 4:13 AM
in reply to: #4686397

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Wow- I'm happy that spring is finally arriving for everyone... It's evident from the posts your anticipation and excitement.. woo hoo!!

I've been running this week, but because of work commitments, I've not been able to do much bike or swim..... I'll just chalk it as a taper week for me.....

Enjoy the weekend everybody...

2013-04-05 4:14 AM
in reply to: #4687614

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

oops, almost forgot.... I saw Serena play once about ten years ago...I've never been much of a tennis fan, but the match I saw her play forever changed the way I watch and appreciate the sport now.......

2013-04-05 10:42 AM

User image

Boise, Idaho
It's going to be a great afternoon!  I'm going to watch Isner play Djokovic from the nosebleed section.  Should be fun!
2013-04-05 11:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Have a great time, Ken!
2013-04-05 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran

Enjoy that match, Ken!! I hope it's a good one, sounds like it will be.

That's very cool, Terry! I hope to see Serena play on Sunday, if she's in the finals. She's defending her title, so I do expect her to be there. Yesterday was kind of a bust because in the match we saw, Sam Stosur from Australia had to withdraw due to injury. There was also a lot of rain, so everything was very delayed. We still had fun and watched a match on another court that was not bad.

Weather-wise, this March/April has been so much colder than normal. We are normally already in shorts and sleeveless shirts at this time of year, but not this year!

I just picked up my race bib, and my sister's, since she won't get here until supper time. I am feeling nervous, not about the distance, but just about my expectations compared to previous years. This will not be the year for me to break an hour, I don't think. I just haven't been doing any speedwork since my marathon and the last two knee flare-ups. So, I feel a little regret about that, but mostly just hope to have a fun and strong run. I will pack my stuff tonight and try to post photos of the race tomorrow.

Still, I get this way before any event - it's just butterflies.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

2013-04-06 5:37 AM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES

The weather hear in PA. finally broke, in the 50s, 60s. I am at 40 maybe 50% recovered. Work is still a big challenge. By the end of the day i am feeling it just not as much. Even when i completely blew out my meniscus i didn't have this long of a recovery. This is by far my most frustrating setback.

2013-04-06 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4689131

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

I finished the "Miami Mile" swim this morning. water was excellent and it was a good swim. I went to South beach to get my packet pickup and rode around the bike course for tomorrow's race. i posted the Garmin logs. and posted two photos also..

Melissa ?? how was the race??

2013-04-07 5:18 PM
in reply to: #4689503

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Terry - Looks like you had a great race!  Was the pic titled pro finish the swim today?  If so the water looked pretty rough. 

Bill - We are finally getting spring weather in Oklahoma as well.  Hate to hear that your recovery is going so slow.  Although sounds like you are getting better even if it is slower than you want.  Hopefully you well be back to training once the warmer weather is here to stay.

Melissa - How did the race go?

Had a decent weekend of training.  I ran 6.3mi yesterday on some trails we have at the national park that I live by and got in right at 29mi on the bike today.  Met up with one of my training buddies today and rode pretty easy just talking and enjoying the nice weather (70 degrees).  The rest of the weekend I've been mowing, weed eating, and opened up our pool.

2013-04-07 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4690370

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Emile-yes, the pro finish was today. the water was quite choppy, but it was 73 degrees, clear and really nice to swim in. we were blessed with 80 degree weather, sunny and not much of a wind to speak of. it was a really enjoyable event and well organized. I'll definitely do this one again next year. It usually coincides with the Miami Mile to make a nice weekend....

Bill-sometimes recovery goes slowly for a reason, although we may not be aware of it at the time. I'm sure there are aspects of training and levels that you can do in the meantime to ensure an even better result once you are up and at it again....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21