BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2013-05-04 12:17 PM
in reply to: #4727103

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED
EKH - 2013-05-04 10:18 AM

My vote is to open up a new mentoring group so the members of the current group who want to stay can and we have the opportunity to add new members.  Whats everybody else think?

I like it!

Mike, were you thinking of possibly mentoring again? Or would we need to get into another mentoring group?

Emile, that sounds like a definite improvement with your heel. It must be on the mend.

So my 10k this morning was good. I was bound and determined to break my 1 hour curse that I can't seem to get through and was on the right path to doing that, but I guess I must have gone out a bit fast, as I slowed pretty significantly on the back half. I remember checking my watch and just trying to keep my pace below 10 min/miles and finding even that practically impossible. I don't know why, I just flat-out faded. My end time was 1:00:3?, so really close but no cigar.

But the event was everything it was cracked up to be! My kids loved the tractors and hillbilly cars, horseshoe throwing contest and deer-hunting motif float for the Jr. Miss Hell Hole. Quite an experience.

Now, back to the grindstone!

Oh, before I forget, I spent my last swim workout trying to keep my head/shoulders lower in the water and it really did help me bring my legs up!! Thanks for the tip!!

2013-05-04 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4727198

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

I'm with you guys... let's begin another group.

i did the packet pick up and checked my bike in little while ago. I'm ready for a nap then some food later this afternoon. 

I'll post more tomorrow evening

2013-05-04 12:53 PM
in reply to: #4546309

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

I can start a another group for the spring summer, once it's available I can post here and you can all jump in again.

Update:  I have added a summer group but it is in the staging area.  It will move to active and available for sign up usually with a few days to a week.  I'll let you know when it's ready.  MJEWEN Summer 2013 Mentor Group. 

Edited by mjewen 2013-05-04 1:01 PM
2013-05-05 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4727198

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Melissa - Great race!  Wow missed it by 3 seconds but that should give you the confidence that it is in your grasp.  If I was you I would look for another 10k down the road.  Between now and then once a week add in some tempo runs at race pace and you will crush the 1 hour time.  How is your swim class going and when is the group ows?

Terry - My thoughts were with you this morning as I was on the trainer.

Mike - Thanks for starting the summer group.  I will keep checking in on the new threads to see when it is open.

I did 2.5 hours on the trainer this morning.  Even though it is warm enough to ride outside I think me and my wife are going to stain the back porch this afternoon so I got up early and knocked it out.  While on the trainer this morning I watched Lincoln.  If you haven't seen it I highly recommend it.

2013-05-05 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4727911

User image

Veteran

Terry - I hope you are tearing it up out there!! I can't wait to hear how it went.

Thanks, Mike! I'll also keep my eyes open for the new group.

Emile - I did want to see Lincoln but missed it in theaters. I know my husband wants to see it, so we will put that one on our queue. I hope your porch project went well.

Another rainy day here - and I am trying to get some work out of the way so I don't feel so stressed out during the day tomorrow.

Regarding that 10k goal, I really do need to put the 1x weekly speed work back into my program. For some reason, I have a really hard time making myself work on speed when I am running alone, but it is clear that I need it in order to see any improvements. I have an idea about adding in a short speed work only workout on one of my swim days - now to make it happen.

The next thing I have coming up is another sprint tri in 2 weeks, then the 2.4 mile swim on June 1st.

2013-05-05 4:47 PM

User image

The good:  PR and BQ!  Finished in 3:02:57 on a day of beautiful running weather here in Lincoln.  Felt too easy up to 16 miles but then by 20 was remembering how marathon's feel at the end and glad I maintained the pacing discipline. I think the Pfitz plan is awesome though... definitely will use it again in the future.  Although for this fall I'm thinking the Hansons plan might work better with tri training mixed into it some.

The bad:  I ran into a pylon and face planted at about mile 21.  Destroyed my kind of expensive prescription sun-glasses and opened up two cuts on my face.

The ugly: My face.  I'm a swollen mess and might end up having a small scar above my eye brow. My future in forehead modeling is officially over.

But... I don't care since I'm not the one that has to look at it all the time.  I do feel a bit bad for my wife, kids, office mates, etc that they will temporarily be around a guy that looks like he just got done losing a boxing match.

Overall, was a *great* day and thrilled by the results. 

The doctor says its ok for me to swim after about 4 days or so, they glued up the wound and says it will be bonded and healed enough by then to be safe to swim.  Not sure if the YMCA folks will be happy having rocky balboa in the pool... yo adrian!

2013-05-05 5:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Great job Ken!  You even have a good story to tell.  Are you planning to register for Boston?  If things go well I plan to be there in 2014.  I have a BQ but not a "fast" BQ so if it goes like 2013 I'll be OK. 
2013-05-05 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4728202

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Awesome job on the BQ, Ken.

I finished my half iron distance today.... swim could have been better but swam into a rough chop for 2/3 of teh course and 10 of us were misdirected around a buoy causing about a 10 minute redirect. still. 1:03 on the swim was about on target  but was about 20 minutes outside of what i thought I could have done.  Bike time was 3:46 - amazing trip around Kennedy Space  Center. still about 45 minutes better than last 1/2 iron. The run was problematic. I felt some discomfort during the bike on my knee around mile 46-50 but finished strong. When I began running i thought i was doing pretty good, but the pain was excruciating. I walked and iced it down and ran again until it hurt. I probably walked about 6 miles but still did better than my first 1/2 iron run.

I'll post a little more later this week... but I'll upload a few photos i was able to take.

BTW- Ken.... Awesome on the BQ....!!! that's really special, I know how much you've been working for it.......

2013-05-05 7:05 PM
in reply to: #4728144

User image

Expert
Oklahoma

Ken -Great job on the BQ!  Sounds like you are going to have a finishers photo very worthy of buying.  I can just see you coming aross the finish line with 3:02:57 posted above and you covered in blood looking like you just finished a cage match instead of a marathon.Laughing

Terry - Awesome job on the PR!  Sounds like you PR'ed by a large amount even with all the adversity you had to face (being misdirected on the swim and knee problems).  Just shows how much improvement you have made since your last HIM!  45min improvement on the bike?  WOW! All the long rides really paid off!

Melissa, Ken and Terry all 3 of you kicked butt this weekend!

2013-05-05 8:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

Melissa - Great job on the 10k.  You'll break the 1:00 barrier next time for sure. The Hell Hole Swamp Gator 10k sounds like it was a great experience for everyone.  Do we get pics of Miss Hell Hole Swamp Gator?  Total Immersion really stresses pushing the lungs down into the water to raise the legs.  

Terry - Great improvement at the HIM distance even with the issues you experienced.  A good sign you were able to persevere and still finish with a great time.  It shows your training is paying off on the physical side and along with that the mental side is confident is your abilities.  

Emile - Continued good luck with your running progress.  Did the deck get stained? 

I kind of missed out on the beet juice discussion which is fine by me.  I don't eat beets and I don't think there is any way I could bring myself to knowingly drink beet juice. 

2013-05-06 4:33 AM

User image

Veteran

Ken - wow! Fantastic time!! I am so impressed - that is some world-class running there. Sorry about the injury there, but Emile is right, that will make for an interesting finishers photo. Congratulations on BQ and PR!

Terry - Great job on your race! How is your knee feeling? Overall how do you feel? That's a nice improvement on the bike. Congratulations!

2013-05-06 6:20 AM
in reply to: #4727938

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
I got the porch stained yesterday.  I've never stained concrete before but it was actually very easy.  I got up this morning and ran 3 miles and then did 30min of high cadence spinning on the trainer.  My heel is still feeling pretty good so maybe I'm finally over this injury.
2013-05-06 8:13 AM

User image

Terry: Great job on the half IM!  It really does sound like all the long rides you've done has boosted your biking.

Melissa:  You should just consider the 3 seconds to be a timing glitch and consider it under one hour.  On the other hands, it can be great motivation for the next race  Regardless, sounds like it was a fun race.

Mike: Yes, I'm planning on running Boston in 2014.  Just need to work hard at work the rest of the year to make sure its financially wise next spring.

2013-05-07 4:34 AM
in reply to: #4728815

User image

Veteran
Ft. Lauderdale

Melissa, I think putting the speed work in your training is a good idea to reduce your time.

My knee is tender... I walked the dog last night and ran down the block with no problems, but it is a little swollen this morning.

Yes, the bike result was pretty good. I increased my mph for the duration to 14.6. There was a strong headwind towards the end so that didn't help. but the long bike rides were quite beneficial. After really going over all my times and notes for the open water swims this year and last, i began to realize that despite technique, water conditions have a tremendous impact on the results. The only other variable is work related and that since I wasn't able to really swim for two weeks prior, I felt a little fatigued for this last one.....

The next HIM is June 1.   "Knee" willing, I'll do better on the run.

I also need to work on my swim technique. 

2013-05-10 8:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

My summer mentor group is live, you can now sign up.  Get your spot now.  I think this link will get you there.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=486908&posts=1&start=1

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MJEWEN Spring 2013 Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 21