Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2013-06-14 1:13 PM
in reply to: dcon

User image

New user
Subject: RE: SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN
Hi Dan,

I do most of my runs without socks. I have the Kswiss Blade light race. They have a built in sock and are very comfortable. I always ran with socks until I found these. No more friction spots on feet, no bunching up of socks, and I really dont even notice the shoes, kind of like slippers.

2013-06-15 8:29 AM
in reply to: Nadscats

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
What's on everyone's training plan this weekend?  I'm trying to find my motivation for a 10 mi. run.  Have any of you seen it?
2013-06-15 9:58 AM
in reply to: jfought

User image

Master

Originally posted by jfought What's on everyone's training plan this weekend?  I'm trying to find my motivation for a 10 mi. run.  Have any of you seen it?

It's at the bottom of that next cup of coffee!!!

2013-06-15 10:34 AM
in reply to: kkcbelle

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL
Here's some motivation. I did 6 this am it was hot. Get out and get started and the motivation comes after u start
2013-06-15 3:03 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by jfought

What's on everyone's training plan this weekend?  I'm trying to find my motivation for a 10 mi. run.  Have any of you seen it?

I did 40 on the trainer this morning, first ride since Raleigh and it felt pretty good. Maybe it is in Pittsburgh with me.
2013-06-15 5:22 PM
in reply to: tricrazy

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
I hope you found that motivation and got out the door Jayne!   I got out for a 12 km run.  It was like 95% humidity, but not too hot.

2013-06-15 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

HOLA!

Home from Cabo - need a vacation to recover from a vacation in Mexico with teenagers!  Home yesterday, racing a Oly tomorrow.  Probably not a good plan.  Spun a bit on the bike today, truly not a good plan!

Ayayayayayay.

If you're looking for me on FB, Linda Nollette!

I'm working on the MG, but I'm really struggling with the new format!!!

2013-06-16 12:06 AM
in reply to: velcromom

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Originally posted by velcromom

HOLA!

Home from Cabo - need a vacation to recover from a vacation in Mexico with teenagers!  Home yesterday, racing a Oly tomorrow.  Probably not a good plan.  Spun a bit on the bike today, truly not a good plan!

Ayayayayayay.

If you're looking for me on FB, Linda Nollette!

I'm working on the MG, but I'm really struggling with the new format!!!

Welcome back.  Good luck on the Oly!!!

2013-06-16 11:51 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Glad you are back Linda! Just have fun today! I agree formatting on this new site is not working yet for me.

And I have to give a shout out to SUZY!!
She completed a 100 mile bike ride on a tough course. Way to go Suzy, you are amazing!!
2013-06-16 11:52 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Maryland
Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful dads, grandfathers, uncles and men in this MG. Enjoy today!!
2013-06-16 10:56 PM

User image

New user
Update on the weekend, ran on Saturday (5k), felt great, ran a 10:12 pace which is really good for me, 4/16 in age group. Came back today for half Marathon, felt good on 1st 6, then EVERYTHING tightened up, my back hurt, my hips, my hamstrings, had to keep walking, trying to stretch and nothing worked. Then brain took over.. panic...how am I ever going to do the 26.2 in the IM??? Just kept moving..I think I was seriously dehydrated and assume this was just one of those "bad days". I did set out to run a 12min pace and finished at 11:55 even with the walking/stopping. So now my preparation for even my long runs will be paying attention to what I eat drink the couple days before, never want to feel like that again.

2013-06-17 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Originally posted by Nadscats Update on the weekend, ran on Saturday (5k), felt great, ran a 10:12 pace which is really good for me, 4/16 in age group. Came back today for half Marathon, felt good on 1st 6, then EVERYTHING tightened up, my back hurt, my hips, my hamstrings, had to keep walking, trying to stretch and nothing worked. Then brain took over.. panic...how am I ever going to do the 26.2 in the IM??? Just kept moving..I think I was seriously dehydrated and assume this was just one of those "bad days". I did set out to run a 12min pace and finished at 11:55 even with the walking/stopping. So now my preparation for even my long runs will be paying attention to what I eat drink the couple days before, never want to feel like that again.

You raced back to back.......had a very fast 5k on Sat, and then ran a 1/2 Marathon on Sunday??  I've never raced on back to back days.  It sounds like your body was still tight from the fast 5k, but you adapted, modified, and adjusted to finish the HM and still finished with a faster than planned pace.  I'd say it was a successful weekend for you, Nadine.  You learned that when everything hurts, and you're feeling mentally discouraged, you DO have what it takes to finish.  That's the attitude you will take with you to your IM.  Congrats on a great weekend.

Linda,  How did your race pan out?

Suzy, did you do your 100miler on the Parlee?  How's she feeling?

I did my second hilly ride in NJ yesterday.  These hills are pushing me to my limit, especially given the gearing on my TT bike.  Didn't go any faster yesterday, but went a bit further and enjoyed it a lot more. 

Carry on!

2013-06-17 5:15 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by Nadscats Update on the weekend, ran on Saturday (5k), felt great, ran a 10:12 pace which is really good for me, 4/16 in age group. Came back today for half Marathon, felt good on 1st 6, then EVERYTHING tightened up, my back hurt, my hips, my hamstrings, had to keep walking, trying to stretch and nothing worked. Then brain took over.. panic...how am I ever going to do the 26.2 in the IM??? Just kept moving..I think I was seriously dehydrated and assume this was just one of those "bad days". I did set out to run a 12min pace and finished at 11:55 even with the walking/stopping. So now my preparation for even my long runs will be paying attention to what I eat drink the couple days before, never want to feel like that again.

You raced back to back.......had a very fast 5k on Sat, and then ran a 1/2 Marathon on Sunday??  I've never raced on back to back days.  It sounds like your body was still tight from the fast 5k, but you adapted, modified, and adjusted to finish the HM and still finished with a faster than planned pace.  I'd say it was a successful weekend for you, Nadine.  You learned that when everything hurts, and you're feeling mentally discouraged, you DO have what it takes to finish.  That's the attitude you will take with you to your IM.  Congrats on a great weekend.

I did my second hilly ride in NJ yesterday.  These hills are pushing me to my limit, especially given the gearing on my TT bike.  Didn't go any faster yesterday, but went a bit further and enjoyed it a lot more. 

Carry on!

Nope, the SEVEN.  I need to attempt the IM course before I can attempt using the Parlee for a ride like HHH.  Very few TT bikes on that ride.  We are making one modification to the Parlee before IM.  Bars are about 1.5" too long which makes shifting more of a challenge.  I'm still riding it since I'm not sure when the new bars will be in or when I can get back to Chicago to get them installed.

2013-06-18 4:13 PM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California

Carry on!

It was a good day, all things considered!!  2:51, with a good swim, great bike, stunningly fast transistions, and a horrific run!  I beat Zach by a minute on the bike - woot!  He made it up elsewhere, and beat me by 10......minutes.  Won his AG, qualified for Nationals, and now we're trying to figure out if we can get him entered before it closes (waiting on official results) and fly him/us/his bike to WI.

Good weekend, but I feel like poop now. 8 days of partying and then a race......too old for this cr*p.

2013-06-18 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Way to go Linda!! Congratulations to Zach!!
2013-06-19 2:42 AM
in reply to: Terps421

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Nice job Linda - sounds pretty good all things considered.  Congrats to Zach for his awesome performance (even though Mom beat him on the bike).

2013-06-19 6:21 AM

User image

Champion
Originally posted by velcromom

Carry on!

It was a good day, all things considered!!  2:51, with a good swim, great bike, stunningly fast transistions, and a horrific run!  I beat Zach by a minute on the bike - woot!  He made it up elsewhere, and beat me by 10......minutes.  Won his AG, qualified for Nationals, and now we're trying to figure out if we can get him entered before it closes (waiting on official results) and fly him/us/his bike to WI.

Good weekend, but I feel like poop now. 8 days of partying and then a race......too old for this cr*p.

Woot!!!  We are in Minocqua the week leading up to the race and for the race itself, but please tell me you won't leave until sometime on Monday so I can drive to MKE and meet up with you.  I am sure DINO would feel the same way!

2013-06-19 8:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina

Happy Wednesday Team!! Time to lace up the shoes and toe the line.  Who's getting ready to race this weekend?

Part 2:  Here's what I want you to do this week......Post something......ANYTHING on here.  We've been on the same page for over 5 days, and it's unacceptable Smile.  Tell us about your training, your races: past, present, or future, your personal life, your kids, pets, the weeds in your garden, ANYTHING. 

Part 3:  I want to challenge you to send out at least 2 inspires every day this next week to people in our mg.  We need to keep encouraging each other.  I know the new format here on BT has thrown us a learning curve and created a challenge, but we can do this.

It's summer vacation for me, so I need to give someone homework Cool

Encourage

Edited to add pretty colors.

Edited by jfought 2013-06-19 8:04 AM
2013-06-19 9:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Madison,AL

Happy Wednesday Team!! Time to lace up the shoes and toe the line.  Who's getting ready to race this weekend?

Part 2:  Here's what I want you to do this week......Post something......ANYTHING on here.  We've been on the same page for over 5 days, and it's unacceptable Smile.  Tell us about your training, your races: past, present, or future, your personal life, your kids, pets, the weeds in your garden, ANYTHING. 

Part 3:  I want to challenge you to send out at least 2 inspires every day this next week to people in our mg.  We need to keep encouraging each other.  I know the new format here on BT has thrown us a learning curve and created a challenge, but we can do this.

Encourage

??????????????????????????????

Ok I will start. No racing here again. It seems every race I want to do there is a scheduling conflict but that is life. The MG has been awfully quite.

I started my 70.3 group training 2 weeks ago. It is going well more swim than I thought I think the last 2 weeks have been over 12000 yds. This is a good thing though. I sure need it. I also need help on the run but not a runner but am in line for my goal of 30 mi for the month I am at 20 so i might even pass it.

The MTB time trials have not been going well. The last 3 weeks have had mechanical problems and it is to the point where I am not having fun. This last week right After we started i went over the handle bars and had a flat nothing was not hurt but it DNF sucked. I will try again this week and hope I have fun.

Edited by mbehr1983 2013-06-19 9:33 AM
2013-06-19 10:55 AM

User image

Champion

Encourage

No triathlon racing for me this weekend!  The man got back from his 10 day Euro tour last night so we're headed to Minocqua on Friday.  YEAH!  We're nearly in June and we haven't been to the place since Memorial Day Weekend!  I will be getting in some OWS while I'm up there even if the H20 temps are still Eskimo like.

Jayne, you will be pleased to know that I made fairly big progress on the Parlee today.  I've taken the whole concept of shifting at the aerobar out of the equation and it rides like a dream.  Means I will be looking for shorter bars, but it also means I can ride it in the meantime as is.  Very happy about that one!

2013-06-19 11:17 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
No racing for me. Trying to get back on the training train. Had a pitty party for about a week wanting to just stop cause I was just overwhelmed with training. I have 6 cats, 2 dogs (a 2yr old lab mix and a 90lb, 8 month old Yellow Lab, that go 90mph, all day, every day), and my husband is in Afghanistan, so mix the pressure of running my home life with the pressure of training....well...I think you all know what happens. My house is a mess, my yard looks like crap, I have not washed my car, and I forgot to put the garbage out. I have had friends reach out to me and am going to do some group stuff to get my groove back. I cant beleive the race is coming up so fast, but, I do feel more prepared right now than I did on race day last time so I guess that is a plus. Going to do my 1st open water this year tomorrow, hoping that goes well. My next race is a HIM July 13th, funny, have not even thought about that one. Doing a 4hr ride today with lots of hills and a nice trail run this evening. I think I need a class in Time Management..

2013-06-19 1:21 PM

User image

Elite
san francisco
I always wanted to make (or keep) the teacher happy. ?? I am out on the east coast right now, for a workshop that Kathy is doing, enjoying summer temps and humidity in Pittsburgh, PA. So far, it's been great, I did my long run, swam once, intend to swim again tomorrow and run before we go back Saturday. Pittsburgh is a hilly city! Peeps are very nice here.

Nadine, it sounds like you are doing the very best you can. Hope your ride went well, I also have an HIM on July 13th with Linda N...remind her to leave sunscreen in T2, because she will have to wait awhile for me this year. A little laid back, my goals are very modest this time around and I have decided I am okay with that. I have the late start this year and if its even remotely warm, I will be wilting as usual.

Okay, Jayne! Do I get a bronze star? Btw, nice job, Suzy! Love the toughness!
2013-06-19 1:32 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by Nadscats

No racing for me. Trying to get back on the training train. Had a pitty party for about a week wanting to just stop cause I was just overwhelmed with training. I have 6 cats, 2 dogs (a 2yr old lab mix and a 90lb, 8 month old Yellow Lab, that go 90mph, all day, every day), and my husband is in Afghanistan, so mix the pressure of running my home life with the pressure of training....well...I think you all know what happens. My house is a mess, my yard looks like crap, I have not washed my car, and I forgot to put the garbage out. I have had friends reach out to me and am going to do some group stuff to get my groove back. I cant beleive the race is coming up so fast, but, I do feel more prepared right now than I did on race day last time so I guess that is a plus. Going to do my 1st open water this year tomorrow, hoping that goes well. My next race is a HIM July 13th, funny, have not even thought about that one. Doing a 4hr ride today with lots of hills and a nice trail run this evening. I think I need a class in Time Management..

Don't be too hard on yourself. Life makes things difficult sometimes, but it sounds like you're ready to get back at it. Getting out there with friends is my best way (or at least most enjoyable) way to get back on track. Good luck with your open water swim tomorrow!

Suzy, that sounds like great news with your Parlee. Enjoy your time in Minocqua!

My husband wrote up a training plan for me to help keep me on track. It seems I need something written on paper for me to get motivated in the mornings. I still have quite a bit of time before my sprint (which I need!,) so hopefully I'll be ready. I feel ridiculous with how new I am compared to everyone here, so I don't have a whole lot to offer yet, but I'm getting better every day!

I would love to do the inspires, but the few that I've looked at are restricted? Do I need to add everyone as a friend? How does that work?
2013-06-19 5:53 PM

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan

Me!!!  I have an Oly on Sunday.  I've done this course 3 times previously and this was the course I DNF'd the swim on last year.  I think I am in better shape than I was this time last year so if the weather holds, I should do fine.   I have no high expectations.  I'm saving those for my HIM on Sep 1.

2013-06-19 6:57 PM
in reply to: kt65

User image

Champion

Originally posted by kt65 I always wanted to make (or keep) the teacher happy. ?? I am out on the east coast right now, for a workshop that Kathy is doing, enjoying summer temps and humidity in Pittsburgh, PA. So far, it's been great, I did my long run, swam once, intend to swim again tomorrow and run before we go back Saturday. Pittsburgh is a hilly city! Peeps are very nice here. Nadine, it sounds like you are doing the very best you can. Hope your ride went well, I also have an HIM on July 13th with Linda N...remind her to leave sunscreen in T2, because she will have to wait awhile for me this year. A little laid back, my goals are very modest this time around and I have decided I am okay with that. I have the late start this year and if its even remotely warm, I will be wilting as usual. Okay, Jayne! Do I get a bronze star? Btw, nice job, Suzy! Love the toughness!

While you may have different priorities this year, I have no doubt you will give it 110% and deliver an outstanding result.  True that! Kyla's phrase...where the heck is that girl?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » SWBKRUN MENTOR GROUP - OPEN Rss Feed  

of 44