BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-06-04 6:15 AM
in reply to: pistuo

User image

Bronze member
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED

Originally posted by pistuo To those that are getting cramps in the pool... I get them when I have failed to drink enough water. So make sure you are drinking plenty of H2O... of course, we're supposed to be doing that anyway... ha!

And I never bring a drink to the pool because I don't want to stop for potty breaks. But I don't swim much longer than an 1 hr - 1 hr and 10 min or so. I would not advise anyone to do the same, just interesting.

2013-06-04 6:53 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Bronze member

Brenda this is how I post a pic step by step. I use tinypics to resize my photos.

I keep 2 tabs open. One for tinypics and one for BT.

Open tinypics.

Where it says file: click browse. Find and click on the photo you want to resize.

File type: click image,

Resize: click the arrow, then message board.

Click Upload Now.

They will probably take you to another screen where you have to enter one of those codes so they make sure you are a real person then you have to click Upload Now again. Wait....

Next you should be back to a screen that says Share This Image. Copy the link under Direct Link for Layouts.

Now back to BT. Click the little box with the tree in it. This should open another window. Where it says Image URL, paste the link from tinypics. You should see your photo in the preview box. You can give it a description if you want or skip this step. Then click insert.

And here is a photo of my pup waiting for me to catch up on the trail . Hope that helps!

2013-06-04 7:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Originally posted by trigal38

Originally posted by pistuo To those that are getting cramps in the pool... I get them when I have failed to drink enough water. So make sure you are drinking plenty of H2O... of course, we're supposed to be doing that anyway... ha!

And I never bring a drink to the pool because I don't want to stop for potty breaks. But I don't swim much longer than an 1 hr - 1 hr and 10 min or so. I would not advise anyone to do the same, just interesting.

Dina- I always have to stop abnout 2/3 of the way through a workout for a potty break and I always worry I will lose my lane. I know I am not getting dehydrated.

2013-06-04 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

That is very true. If I don't drink enough water I get the foot and legs cramps but too much water and I'm dying at the end of my swim workout because I have to go to the bathroom so badly and I refuse to stop my workout. It is good incentive to swim faster though at the end of the workout.
2013-06-04 8:01 AM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by jenbmosley SWIMMING QUESTION... I backed off swimming in May and am getting my booty back in gear. I did a short swim on Saturday and then did a 2500 yard swim this morning. Whenever I start to push longer swims, I notice that my pinky finer and ring finger sometimes start to cramp up as I get near the end of my swim. I know that I am not dehydrated or definicient in fuel, I am wondering if there is something wrong in my form, or if I could just be tensing since I know I am getting near the end of my workout. Has anyone ever experienced this?

It is likely that you are trying to hold your hand in a particular position for the entire work out and you are feeling the result of fatigue.  I suggest you focus on relaxing your hands through your work outs.  If you are focused on keeping all of your fingers aligned and straight to add more power or a sort of paddle you're really just wasting energy.  Allow your hand and fingers to fall where they may, so to speak, and you should see a positive result.  Try it for the next few swims and report your findings so we know if that was the issue.  If not we can look at something else.

Dirk - Now that you mention this, I feel pretty sure that I am guilty of this. I focus on keeping my hands cupped slightly, fingers apart a tiny bit and relaxed, but when my hands enter the water, I have a tendency to reach forward and try to elongate myself into a straight line. I do this slightly before pulling through my stroke. I practiced this in the air after reading your post and realized that as I do it, those two fingers straighten out during the elongating motion. I'm still going to attempt to get some swimming footage over the next week or so.

2013-06-04 8:36 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Bronze member

I have new found respect for anyone who completes a triathlon on a hybrid bike. Holy smokes - I am completely spoiled on that tri bike. I did a short run/bike/run last night. I actually managed 16.4 mph average on the hybrid. I was shocked, I thought for sure I would only be able to manage 14 maybe 15 mph. I don't have anything to keep my foot held on the pedals, it is just the platform. It feels like I am missing out on half my pedal stroke! The flats on the route I could still muster 18.5-19mph. I thought my Garmin was broken. Until I hit an incline- OMG, that was a lot like work. And anytime I tried to coast I dropped any speed immediately. Then I got off and ran a mile with the puppy - HORRIBLE! I can't even describe how much worse my legs felt running off of this bike compared to the tri bike.

I actually didn't mind riding it and I think if I make a few changes I could handle riding it more often. One of the biggest problems I had was I sit straight up on the hybrid right on my sit bones. I have a super cush seat but it is still really uncomfortable and almost felt like my rear end was cramping up. I only managed a 41 min ride because of this issue so I'm not sure how I can fix that.

Anyway, funny to compare the differences!

2013-06-04 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Dina, nice pic and thanks for posting how to upload pics. Also my hat is off to you for even getting on a hybrid... GREAT job!

Dehydration in the pool...lol i drink enough water they hve to add water to the pool when I leave...lol
2013-06-04 10:50 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
Just to clarify, I don't take a bottle to the pool. I just try to make sure I am drinking water throughout the day before my workout (I'm bad about not drinking enough water). I do try to take some stuff (towel, watch, kick board) and leave it on the deck on my lane in case I need to run to the bathroom... hopefully someone will see it and know I'm there...

So, for example, if I have a long run or bike the day before a swim... I will easily lose 6-7 lbs during the workout (all sweat... or water). That's a lot of water to replace before the next days workout... and I've noticed the foot cramps especially when I havent done a good job of drinking enough water to fully rehydrate.
2013-06-04 11:05 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Good morning all.  Our low temp here in Redding for today was 70 degrees, the forecast says 104 this afternoon, so I got up and did a 5k run at 6:00, while it was still cool out, before getting the girls dropped off at school. I did each mile a bit faster than the last today 9:02/8:24/8:14 paces. It felt really good to stretch it out a little like that.

It’s the last week of school before summer break for my girls so my wife and I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out the summer schedule last night.  We have a little rescheduling to do with gymnastics and kung fu schools for afternoons and evenings but we are hopeful that the schedule will work and that will mean open water swims every Wednesday for most of the summer!

Along those lines, we will be camping this weekend at Lake Siskiyou (site of the Tinman Sprint Triathlon that I’m planning on doing in September) So I’ll be getting some swim/bike/run training in on the course.

2013-06-04 12:00 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Originally posted by JonnyVero

Good morning all.  Our low temp here in Redding for today was 70 degrees, the forecast says 104 this afternoon, so I got up and did a 5k run at 6:00, while it was still cool out, before getting the girls dropped off at school. I did each mile a bit faster than the last today 9:02/8:24/8:14 paces. It felt really good to stretch it out a little like that.

It’s the last week of school before summer break for my girls so my wife and I spent a good amount of time trying to figure out the summer schedule last night.  We have a little rescheduling to do with gymnastics and kung fu schools for afternoons and evenings but we are hopeful that the schedule will work and that will mean open water swims every Wednesday for most of the summer!

Along those lines, we will be camping this weekend at Lake Siskiyou (site of the Tinman Sprint Triathlon that I’m planning on doing in September) So I’ll be getting some swim/bike/run training in on the course.

Have fun at Lake Siskiyou!  We really enjoy going there when we go to Mt. Shasta.

2013-06-04 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by pistuo

Just to clarify, I don't take a bottle to the pool. I just try to make sure I am drinking water throughout the day before my workout (I'm bad about not drinking enough water). I do try to take some stuff (towel, watch, kick board) and leave it on the deck on my lane in case I need to run to the bathroom... hopefully someone will see it and know I'm there...

So, for example, if I have a long run or bike the day before a swim... I will easily lose 6-7 lbs during the workout (all sweat... or water). That's a lot of water to replace before the next days workout... and I've noticed the foot cramps especially when I havent done a good job of drinking enough water to fully rehydrate.

Will I do the same, I try and drink water and stay hydrated throughout the day but I found if I didn't bring something with me I would have still have issues with cramping at the pool. Having the water between sets seems to have helped alleviate this plus the pool temp seems to be a little cooler these days. I think it was worse for me when the water was warmer.

2013-06-04 12:02 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

I have new found respect for anyone who completes a triathlon on a hybrid bike. Holy smokes - I am completely spoiled on that tri bike. I did a short run/bike/run last night. I actually managed 16.4 mph average on the hybrid. I was shocked, I thought for sure I would only be able to manage 14 maybe 15 mph. I don't have anything to keep my foot held on the pedals, it is just the platform. It feels like I am missing out on half my pedal stroke! The flats on the route I could still muster 18.5-19mph. I thought my Garmin was broken. Until I hit an incline- OMG, that was a lot like work. And anytime I tried to coast I dropped any speed immediately. Then I got off and ran a mile with the puppy - HORRIBLE! I can't even describe how much worse my legs felt running off of this bike compared to the tri bike.

I actually didn't mind riding it and I think if I make a few changes I could handle riding it more often. One of the biggest problems I had was I sit straight up on the hybrid right on my sit bones. I have a super cush seat but it is still really uncomfortable and almost felt like my rear end was cramping up. I only managed a 41 min ride because of this issue so I'm not sure how I can fix that.

Anyway, funny to compare the differences!

I totally understand!  Just think how strong you're going to be, though! Tongue out

(Sometimes I ride my tri bike simply for the ego boost.)

2013-06-04 12:04 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Yep, it's official! I am giving up training for anything and devote all of my time to making sure none of my kids grow-up...ever! Spent the evening watching my oldest sons baseball game and all is normal, I thought. Afterwards he comes up to me and says Dad can you hold my stuff, I ask him why and he says because he wants to go walk with his girlfriend! Huh??? Asked him again and got the same response, completely unacceptable! There is no way I am ready for this
2013-06-04 12:05 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I don't have many problems with cramping.  I always take a water bottle to the pool.  It's nice to take a quick swig between sets.  It doesn't take any time at all.
2013-06-04 12:08 PM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Originally posted by mambos Yep, it's official! I am giving up training for anything and devote all of my time to making sure none of my kids grow-up...ever! Spent the evening watching my oldest sons baseball game and all is normal, I thought. Afterwards he comes up to me and says Dad can you hold my stuff, I ask him why and he says because he wants to go walk with his girlfriend! Huh??? Asked him again and got the same response, completely unacceptable! There is no way I am ready for this

Hahahaha!!!!  Yep!  I agree!  I guess you could get a running stroller for his stuff and run around keeping an eye on him. Wink

2013-06-04 12:13 PM
in reply to: RunningYogini

User image

Elite
far northern CA
It's been super busy around here for me.  I think I'm getting back into a routine this week.  Thank goodness!  Our truck is all fixed and it was all covered under a warranty.  Even the tow bill!  Woo hoo!!!!  We bought a travel trailer (toy hauler).  We've been looking for a perfect one for the past few years.  It had to be small enough that we could take it anywhere but not so tiny that we couldn't put our bikes in it.  The one we bought is a few years old, 20 feet long and perfect for hauling all our bikes to races.  It will be sooooo nice to pull into campsites at a race and have all of our stuff right there!  Unfortunately, my new bike purchase will have to wait for a couple years.

2013-06-04 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by pistuo Just to clarify, I don't take a bottle to the pool. I just try to make sure I am drinking water throughout the day before my workout (I'm bad about not drinking enough water). I do try to take some stuff (towel, watch, kick board) and leave it on the deck on my lane in case I need to run to the bathroom... hopefully someone will see it and know I'm there... So, for example, if I have a long run or bike the day before a swim... I will easily lose 6-7 lbs during the workout (all sweat... or water). That's a lot of water to replace before the next days workout... and I've noticed the foot cramps especially when I havent done a good job of drinking enough water to fully rehydrate.

I lost 5-6 pounds last week during my long run.  It wasn't particularly hot, it was only 73 degrees, but the humidity was rather high.  I had sweat dripping from my visor by mile 6 and mile 10 it was almost running off in streams.  At mile 12 and 13 it was definitely coming off in streams...........but it was raining pretty hard about then too.

For those of you getting cramps in your feet during your swims it may be more likely that the cause is coming from the push off.  We have talked about it before but it may bare mentioning again.  When you push off the wall make sure you relax your feet as soon as they leave the wall and allow yourself to get back to a normal foot posture.  I have found that my feet cramped when I was pushing and holding that position too long.

The cramping also has to do with the amount of time you are actually in the water swimming.  For instance: if you're an hour doing a work out my bet is that you are not getting any cramps in your feet until 45 minutes (for example).  The time you are in the water is less important than when you are getting the cramps.  I would wager that no one is getting these cramps early in your swim. Rather they are coming much closer to the end when the muscles in your foot and lower leg are getting fatigued from constant effort to extend your toes.  The pool water is cool enough that it is not going to cause you to dehydrate so much that you would begin to cramp unless you are significantly dehydrated prior to the swim. 

2013-06-04 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by mambos Yep, it's official! I am giving up training for anything and devote all of my time to making sure none of my kids grow-up...ever! Spent the evening watching my oldest sons baseball game and all is normal, I thought. Afterwards he comes up to me and says Dad can you hold my stuff, I ask him why and he says because he wants to go walk with his girlfriend! Huh??? Asked him again and got the same response, completely unacceptable! There is no way I am ready for this

I am well past the boys walking with my daughters stage.  Now I am careful to make sure I don't accidentally shoot one of these boys while cleaning my firearms when they happen to stop over. 

I certainly do understand where you're coming from.  My girls are getting so close to being gone that it's almost painful.  Laiken informed Lis and I that she may be moving out soon.  We are still working to get her squared away for where to look for an apartment because she's almost completely interested in cheap and less interested in safety.  Enjoy the days while you have them!  They are numbered!

2013-06-04 5:42 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

I am well past the boys walking with my daughters stage.  Now I am careful to make sure I don't accidentally shoot one of these boys while cleaning my firearms when they happen to stop over. 

I certainly do understand where you're coming from.  My girls are getting so close to being gone that it's almost painful.  Laiken informed Lis and I that she may be moving out soon.  We are still working to get her squared away for where to look for an apartment because she's almost completely interested in cheap and less interested in safety.  Enjoy the days while you have them!  They are numbered!

I've got a 10 month old girl and I'm pretty sure I can see myself just accidentally cleaning my service pistol when the first few boys show up. I'm hoping that's about 30 years from now. I can dream right.

Edited by BigDaddyD79 2013-06-04 5:43 PM
2013-06-04 7:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
All this talk about your kids brings back memories, thanks for the smiles!
Dina your puppy's cute, and way to go on the Hybrid!

First OWS today, the water temp was surprisingly 70 degrees, and I wish I would of wore my sleeveless wetsuit, I feel so claustrophobic with my arms all squeezed in...anyway the swim was ok I couldn't find my breathing the whole mile and had to stop several times. The group is looking at doing 2 a week so hopefully this will help me figure it out before Syracuse!

Oh and I always take water and I don't push off so I am pretty sure my issue is pointing to hard cuz Dirk you are correct it starts late in the swim.

Edited by Jo63 2013-06-04 8:30 PM
2013-06-04 8:06 PM

User image

Bronze member

That is hysterical! I remember the first time a date came to pick me up at the house. Dad got all fierce looking and with his sternest Dad voice said "Her curfew is 10:00 and that means 10 min before, not 10 min late".

OMG - DAAAD, how embarrassing!

2013-06-04 8:57 PM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by Jo63

All this talk about your kids brings back memories, thanks for the smiles!
Dina your puppy's cute, and way to go on the Hybrid!

First OWS today, the water temp was surprisingly 70 degrees, and I wish I would of wore my sleeveless wetsuit, I feel so claustrophobic with my arms all squeezed in...anyway the swim was ok I couldn't find my breathing the whole mile and had to stop several times. The group is looking at doing 2 a week so hopefully this will help me figure it out before Syracuse!

Oh and I always take water and I don't push off so I am pretty sure my issue is pointing to hard cuz Dirk you are correct it starts late in the swim.

JoAnne I had the same issue with my first OWS on Sunday. I just could not get settled and get a good rythym breathing. It took a while for me to get relaxed and in a good place. The water was a little choppy with a little current but it should not have been a big deal. I'm not sure why it happened but I totally understand how you must of felt today. Probably just attribute it to the first time out this season and I'm hoping to do the same before Syracuse.
2013-06-04 8:58 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

I've got a 10 month old girl and I'm pretty sure I can see myself just accidentally cleaning my service pistol when the first few boys show up. I'm hoping that's about 30 years from now. I can dream right.
Man, I don't even want to think about what will happen when my daughter "thinks" she is ready to date.  NOT GONNA HAPPEN!
2013-06-04 9:04 PM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

All kidding aside, I did manage to get a pretty decent ride in tonight.  Now I just gotta figure out how to use the information.  Here are the details

Plan 
Breakthrough: Long warm-up (45min). Then ride a 30 minute time trial all out. Race effort. Use a flat, out and back course. 10 minutes into the time trial punch the lap button on your heart rate monitor. Afterwards, record your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes. Also record distance covered or average speed. 
Cooldown 10 minutes. 
Actual 
Wound up going a little longer than expected, had a route planned not realizing it was little long. Kept the 1st 16 miles fairly easy, especially since a lengthy portion of it was into a headwind. Since I went a little long I stopped for a short break before going into the test portion. 1st 10 minutes was rough, but not terrible. Then the 20 minute section came and this became painful, I pushed as hard as I could to the point I had a hard time maintaining output and was yelling to myself to not give up. the results are somewhat surprising. 

20 minute test section (19:34): 7.45 miles at 22.8 mph (27.6) HR 162 avg with a max of 171

Really Surprised by the avg speed, I had my watch set to show time, HR and the AVG pace for my entire ride.  Didn't know the distance or speed until I was home reviewing the data.  My Question is, What do I do with the HR data?  Do I take 90% of the 162 and that becomes my baseline?

2013-06-05 7:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Need a little help on bike shorts, and this may be dumb question of the day
Does the padding reduce after a certain amount of wear? And this is for the ladies what brand do you wear? I have been having a lot of trouble with mine not sure if it's fit or that I have been wearing them too long. I would like to find something that is somewhat comfortable for my next race.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114