of 46

2007-06-19 2:02 PM
in reply to: #850675

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: Rich Miller's Group - FULL
Hey Caru!

You are just an ANIMAL! You want the whole enchilada (elbows, arms, etc.) You go for it!

carustol - 2007-06-19 12:19 PM

Rich, I was wondering what should be a good taget time for the race?

I asked the same question before my first race and the team coach said ..... don't worry about it! My recommendation for a time is to just go FAST! Seriously..... this is your first triathlon.... just go out and have fun......... swim to get to the bike, bike to get to the run and then run like __________! We can talk and write about triathlons, but it is a very experiential thing. You will learn a lot about the race and about the people......the triathlon community is a very friendly group of people. Be prepared to make boo-boos, mistakes and even fall over when taking off your wetsuit for the first time in a race situation....and then be prepared to just laugh. The whole thing about triathlons is to have fun and do cool stuff with cool people!

I will tell you a quick story..... a lady at the last triathlon screamed in delight when looking at her time at the end of the race.... she was obviously surprised.....you know what her focus was? She told me she was 52 years old and just went out to have fun......She took 1st Place in her age group ...... her first race. But, although it was great to get 1st Place, she told me that it was just getting out and having fun with 2000 other racers..... she was totally stoked!

Caru: I hope you have the same experience regardless what your time is.....have fun, have fun, have fun!

Rich

2007-06-19 3:15 PM
in reply to: #801361

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Uuuuh. Don't say "enchilada"...

Kidding! ;-) I'm actually pretty good this afternoon. Certainly on the mend.

Thanks for the advise, Rich. I take it as advise from your own vast training experience (okay, I know you are modest; we'll say: more vast than mine) -- and not to be substituted for my own judgement or the advise of a physician. :-)

Y'all keep talking about how hot it is in Texas -- but I'm tellin' ya -- we get some major heat/humidity up here in PA too! Just not for as long, I think.

Some silly last minute questions:

Do people wear their gloves on the bike portion?

In general, where is the best place for spectators to stand?

We are making settlement on a property Friday. We are also going out to dinner with one of my fellow soon-to-be triathletes that night. Do you think it's okay to have a celbratory beer or two? Or just not helpful the night before a race?
2007-06-19 6:31 PM
in reply to: #851107

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Uuuuh. Don't say "enchilada"... Rich Says: SORRY!

Kidding! ;-) I'm actually pretty good this afternoon. Certainly on the mend. Rich Says: Good to hear that you are feeling better!

Thanks for the advise, Rich. I take it as advise from your own vast training experience (okay, I know you are modest; we'll say: more vast than mine) -- and not to be substituted for my own judgement or the advise of a physician. :-)

Y'all keep talking about how hot it is in Texas -- but I'm tellin' ya -- we get some major heat/humidity up here in PA too! Just not for as long, I think.

Rich Says: Sorry about that! I keep on putting you in Texas with KAT and Derek.

Some silly last minute questions:
Do people wear their gloves on the bike portion?

Rich Says: On a sprint, loose the gloves...takes too much time in transition and for a sprint race, you're not on the bike long enough.

In general, where is the best place for spectators to stand?

Rich Says: This is actually a VERY good question! Have them watch you start the swim from the best possible vantage point...then they can quickly move over to the T1 area by the bike exit to cheer you on your way out!. Hopefully the Bike In and Bike Out are near each other ..... if so they can cheer you back in from the bike ride........ then have them move over to the Finish Line..... they can watch you come in....... have them position themselves a 100 yds or so from the Finish Line so that you can get an extra boost of energy from their cheering.

We are making settlement on a property Friday. We are also going out to dinner with one of my fellow soon-to-be triathletes that night. Do you think it's okay to have a celbratory beer or two? Or just not helpful the night before a race?

Rich Says: Don't do anything new leading into a race.... if you have had a beer on Friday Night before a long bike ride on Saturday and you had no side affects, have a beer.....just be careful of your hydration...have extra glasses of water. The beer can promote dehydration.
2007-06-19 10:05 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey Rich...Lump me in with Kat and Derek.  I'm in Texas too.  The land of constant heat and humidity.   My run this morning was 78 degrees and that was at 6am!  I felt like I was running with a huge coat wrapped around me and the sun beating down.  (but the sun wasn't even up yet.)  Christine, you're right, it gets hot and humid in a lot of places, but Texas heat does drag on FOREVER!!!  I've been using my A/C since April. 

I'm glad you're feeling better, Christine.  That's a miserable feeling especially trying to gear up for a race.  I'm a drinker, but everytime I have a beer before a weekend run/bike ride I end up feeling crummy!  or maybe it's because I end up having too much fun and staying out way too long...hmmm...So, I tend to stay away from alcohol at least a couple of days before a race or big run/bike ride.  

Angela

2007-06-20 7:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Thanks for all of the great advise!

Wow, A/C since April?!? You DO have it tougher. We normally have major heat/humidity through July and August. This year we had August days the end of May. But we do have some breaks in between, like today.

Rich, There's a rumor that the swim may be cancelled for my Saturday race. The sprint distance went off without a hitch last year, but then it rained that night and the Olympic distance was switched to run/bike/run.

If that happens this year, that would turn it in to about 7 miles of running. I know that sounds like nothing to you runners, but I have never run 7 miles. (I think 4 is my top distance so far.) What do I do if that happens, besides panic??? ;-)
2007-06-20 1:53 PM
in reply to: #851799

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
No need to panic, Christine!

Go out slowly after your bike ride and run a consistent pace like you normally would. At about mile 3.5.....see how you are doing..... if necessary, take a walk break. You will be soooo pumped that you will hardly notice the 7 miles (if that is what is decided.) Know in the back of your mind, that the race director is making a decision in the best interest of all the swimmers and that you will be safe.

Another approach (in your mind) is to threat the 7 mile portion as if it was two 3.5 mile runs/races. Two 3.5 mile runs does not sound as daunting as a 7 mile run.

Just curious: Would the swim portion be cancelled because of runoff? or currents" in the river?

2007-06-20 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Run-off (it's an industrial area) and/or debris in the water. I guess a lot of rain would make the current dangerous as well.
2007-06-21 6:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Several of us are 48 or 72 hours away from RACE-TIME!

How's everyone feeling???
2007-06-21 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
omg!! WAY TO GO FREAKIN ME OUT CRIS!!! HSHAHAHAH no im kidding. I cant wait for the race. I went spinning this morning and it was TOUGH. i swear i hadn't sweat this much ever!!1 it's kinda crazy. I then ran for about 15 minutes, then core abs cuase i had to get going. I am so excited for all of us!
I need a race belt so I'm gonna go look for that during lunch and gu ,I mean I know its a short distance, but Gu helped me a lot the last time i did a trial tri. I haven't packed my race stuff but I will tonight!!! I have my race sunday so I still have some time. Work has been a bit hectic, so I've had to move my schedule around a bit. Hopefully that wont make a difference come race day.

Ok, work time !!!! How is everyone else feeliung, Cris???? Seriously ya'll are forced to post at least 1 pic of the race after this weekend.

have a great rest of the week.
2007-06-21 8:25 AM
in reply to: #853670

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Feeling pretty good! I've been having some allergy trouble this week, and got a little freaked out last night when I lost my voice.  I really don't want to be sick this week, so I pulled every trick that I know to clear the congestion before it settles in my chest and causes major problems.  I'm feeling/sounding better this morning, so I think I'm good for now.  Had a nice solid swim with no breathing problems this morning, too, so that makes me feel better.

Haven't had the best workouts this week, but I've had to punt to the afternoons a couple of times and it's been SO FREAKIN' HOT AND HUMID!!! Good thing the race is in the morning! One more run tomorrow and a very short brick on Saturday, and I'm there! I'm planning on going all out in this race - my hubby wants me to "break 1:30:00 or bonk trying!!!" Should be fun.....

How about you, Christine?

2007-06-21 9:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Glad to hear you are both in good spaces for your races!

I am feeling healthy and had a nice easy swim last night. Tonight a light bike/run brick (my hubby has agreed to go on a little bike ride with me!). Tomorrow maybe a light bike ride in between settlement on our new property and the pre-race dinner.

My race wave starts at 8:28. The weather should be very nice. The humidity dropped here yesterday and it will be in the mid 80s for the next 4 days. I just saw it in the paper that they expect 3,500 competitors Saturday and Sunday. Oooohhhh my! "Swing wide" will be my mantra for the swim.

I promise to post a report ASAP when we're done. I am focusing on hearing my name as I cross the finish line...that's the story I want to create... :-)

I wish you all fantastic races this weekend!!! XXXXXXX

2007-06-21 9:41 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey Christine, at the Danskin Tri I did a few weeks ago, they announced my name as I crossed the finish line...I didn't know they were going to do that...I thought I had won a prize!!!  It made me smile.  (It must be my blond hair!)

Edited by yoblondie 2007-06-21 9:42 AM
2007-06-21 12:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
That's funny. I only guess that because they sent us a pre-race e-mail asking about how to pronounce our name and a little blurb about us.

For me it's about celebrating turning 40 this year and honoring our pal, Tom.

I just put the bit about honoring Tom on the form, though -- the whole crowd doesn't need to know I'm turning 40!
2007-06-21 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Yeah..... the announcers can be pretty "cute" at the races..... I had one recently, as I was sprinting and holding off four or five other racers, say: "Here's an oldie but goodie!"

Rich

2007-06-21 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Let me make sure I got this right: Caru, Christine and KAT are racing this weekend! Wooooo Hooooo! Anyone else?

Rich

2007-06-22 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Am I the only one that's a first-timer this weekend of the three of us???

If I let myself think about it too much, I'm ready to jump out of my skin! It's the unknown -- Can I really do this? What if someone kicks me? What if people don't like me? -- Oh, wait. That's the first day of school; not the first tri! ;-)

Being the kind of person who does stuff they want to do -- even if it's difficut, even if it's scary -- that's the person I want to be. That's the kind of person I've become. And I've come a long way to get here.

I know I've said it other places, but I'll say it again here: The story of how we got where we are can be the best part. What obstacles we've overcome; how we find a way to persevere -- to me these are the most entertaining parts of the journey.

I am excited and nervous and really looking forward to getting the swim over with. I hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable race!

Thank you guys for becoming part of my story. When I tell people I got this or that advise from my mentor group, they get a look like "huh?!?". I feel so fortunate and special!

I still say we need to do a training camp out Rich's way next year!!! :-0

2007-06-22 7:47 AM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Christine, read this article.  Shawna is a trainer at the Y.  I take her spin class and she is my running/biking partner's trainer.  If she can do an Ironman with all the obstacles that were thrown her way...You can do this tri!  This story is so inspirational to me...I hope you find it inspiring too.  Good luck on Sat.  You're doing it!!!  Go Christine, Go Christine!

http://www.ironman.com/events/ironman/wisconsin/shawna-gibson-shares-her-unbelievable-journey-to-becoming-an-ironman-2

Angela

2007-06-22 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
oMG Cris!!1 THis is soo exciting, I am thrilled to know that you are also as excited as I am.
This will also be my first tri!!!!! I am doing it with my lil brother who is my trainin partner! so I am super excited i an starting 4 minutes before he is, that gives me enough time so he can catch up and hopefully I will keep up with him!!! Nervousness and excitement is starting to settle in.

You will do fabulous cris, we all will!! I am super happy I found you guys and Rich, definately a really awesome team guys. I've learned a lot from you and I'm sure I'll continue to do so.
Enjoy the race Cris, it's going to be awesome!!! I know we will all have some interesting little stories to tell!!!!!

Send you all love! Have a fabulous weekend guys!

Kat! any last suggestions?????--->( you are the tri pro amongst us)

Edited by carustol 2007-06-22 8:37 AM
2007-06-22 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
Great article, Angela. Thanks for sharing it.
2007-06-22 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
Subject: RE: 3 out of 6 racing this weekend
You guys are all going to ROCK!

I have lots of "remembers" for you today!

For Caru and Christine...... remember just to go out and have FUN! That is the whole point of triathlons is to go out, have fun and do a cool thing with cool people.......oh yeah and in a race setting! But, don't worry about whether your first, in the middle of the pack or dead last....remember that you will be joining an elite group of people. You WILL be a Triathlete!!!!!

KAT..... have an AWESOME race this weekend, too! I'm rootin for ya!

To all of you.....think about me with a HUGE smile spread across my face as you cross that finish line........ I will be with each of you in spirit...... coaxing you to keep moving forward, If you get the urge to stop, think about me swimming next to you, biking next to you, or running next to you encouraging you to keep going.

I hope you all have a FANTASTIC and WONDERFUL time!

Rich
2007-06-22 10:23 AM
in reply to: #855537

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

Kat! any last suggestions?????--->( you are the tri pro amongst us)

Hah!  I am a lllllloooooonnnnnnggggg way from being a pro at this!  I still get nervous before every race! I don't think I have anything to add to what Rich has already said - relax, have fun, run YOUR race and don't worry about anyone else.  I think you've already done the hardest part - all of the preparations and training. Now it's time for the party!!

Can't wait to hear the reports from you two! I'll be posting mine sometime Sunday afternoon.  I'll be packing my gear up tonight so I'll be thinking y'all!!! Gotta go get my race packet now....

2007-06-22 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA.
I'm with you KAT! I can't wait to see CARU's and Christine's AND your race reports! This is just way too much fun!

Rich
2007-06-22 11:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami
Rich you are seriosuly too much!!1 you are awesome. I am super happy to have you guys cybernetically (SP?) supporting me throughout this entire process. Seriously awesome.
I will give you all details of the race!!!! I'll have my cel with me, so Ill post a short messg when im done! hahahaha
send u all some love....and kick some BOOTIE!!!!!

2007-06-23 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Perkasie, PA
POST RACE REPORT:

We had SO much fun!!! I couldn't have asked for a better experience for my first tri! The weather was perfect. The water temp was 75F.

I swam with my friend Laraine - her first OWS so I wanted to make sure she got through it okay. If I wasn't sticking with her, maybe I could have gone a few minutes faster, but that wasn't the name of the game today. And I am so glad I helped her - I think it helped me too; helped me to think about something else besides just myself. Does that make sense?

So HAPPY to have made it back across the river! Got out, transitioned just fine. Bike ride was a blast. Mostly flat. Kept it at a good pace (for me) and took the corners easy. Several people wiped out going too fast. Felt sorry for them.

As I finished the bike ride, I suddenly felt dread over the run. I decided right away that I was not going to walk. I felt like if I did, it would be mentally bad.

The run went great. Finish line was a blast! My husband, Carl, was wonderful. He brought my brother, his girlfriend and my Mom and their support throughout meant a lot.

Synopsis: Swim couldn't have gone better. Bike ride was a good time. Run was the hardest part.

I LOVED THIS RACE!!! My first tri was everything I hoped for. Results aren't up yet.

Look forward to hearing reports from you two other ladies!
2007-06-23 6:11 PM
in reply to: #857038

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas
Fantastic!! I've been thinking about you all day...I'm so glad to hear that your first race was a total success.  Now it's official - you're a TRIATHLETE!!! Wear the title with pride.  You have earned it, girlfriend!  I'll be watching for your full race report later...kick back tonight and just enjoy the celebration (and get a good night's sleep!!) You rock
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rich Miller's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 46