BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-16 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1108061

Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
did i mention how amazing this group is?! everyone helping everyone...Robyn, this group IS the best!!!

2008-01-16 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1159547

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Okay, I should get some extra points, for my challange. Today was to be an " Off Day " from training. I am on duty at the FD. We had to go to the maze today. :>O. FOr those of you who may not be familiar with the "MAZE"  let me try to clue you in. Ther is a small buliding, no windows only one exterior door. WHen you walk through that door, they show you a small entrance to your left that is prolly 3 foot wide by 3 foot high. You get down on your hands and knees and crawl through the entrance, and as soon as you do a spring loaded door slams shut behind you. WHAM!!! Toatal darkness. Then you get to crawl up extremley steep inclines where you have to pull your self up with your hands, then slide down on your stomach, you have to go through a space so tight you must remove your airpack before you can get through. Oh I didn't tell you??? Yep this is done in full turn out gear with air pack and mask.  Now when you pull your air pack off your back, you must make sure it stays connected to your mask, and your mask stays on your face. After pushing your air pack through, you must pull yourself through, and then put your pack back on, in total darkness. Then continue through zig zags, ladders up, crawling across roof trusses, and ladders down. There is a 90* turn that also has a 4' drop off.  There is an open room ( still dark) that you must search for a vitim in. And then finish up through a door that starts a bout 3 to 4 feet off the ground, ( that's really fun to try and find while in pitch blackness crawling around on your hands and knees feeling the wall with your right hand ) and a few more zig zags before coming out. If you have any fears off tight spaces, or being total darkness, those fears will come out. I swear the maze is much tougher than any of my Tri workouts...so far. Not to mention my knees are beat to from all that crawling around.

Our maze is similar to this, however the wall are painted black, and there is no light inside, these guys ahve a blindfold covering the face piece to their mask.

http://www.bigtreevfc.com/html/maze.htm

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-16 12:56 PM
2008-01-16 1:06 PM
in reply to: #1159767

Veteran
INSANE
2008-01-16 1:53 PM

New user

I totally missed the challenge bandwagon last week as I've been away for a week. I did accomplish my goal last week (Disney's 5k, half marathon and full marathon) and will most definitely hit this week's goal of a total rest.

Where do you all swim? How far do you travel? I have a local YMCA and JCC, as well as the college I graduated from. I need a push to get out there and swim as it is my weakness.
2008-01-16 2:15 PM
in reply to: #1159942

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
beaker29 - 2008-01-16 2:53 PM

I totally missed the challenge bandwagon last week as I've been away for a week. I did accomplish my goal last week (Disney's 5k, half marathon and full marathon) and will most definitely hit this week's goal of a total rest.

Where do you all swim? How far do you travel? I have a local YMCA and JCC, as well as the college I graduated from. I need a push to get out there and swim as it is my weakness.

Great job finishing the GOOFY challenge, had some friends from OH go down and do it for the special medal this year!! I'm in a small town can only swim at the YMCA and they cut the winter hours for adults, Monday there were 2/3 per lane with 5 people waiting to swim.

David
2008-01-16 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1158882

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Aviator1596 - 2008-01-16 12:36 AM

I'm going to try to consolidate my post, so I don't add 11....

Les- Way to get out of Bed!!! Actually, I feel you.  I am a night person by nature, and the last few mornings have been early.....  Way to go getting up and working out.  It isn't easy!

Elizabeth-  Sorry I don't know more about shipping a bike.  But, if you do buy the one from SoCal, make sure you bring it to your LBS to be fit to YOU even though it is the same size you were on at the store.  They can tweak it for you, and you will enjoy riding more.

Robyn-  I am sure the snow there is nothing like the icy stuff we get here in OK.  Hope you are having fun with it.  And BTW,  Way F'n Cool about the Zoot GU sponsorship.  When you get some time let us know about the process.  Did you just fill out the app with previous race results, and upcoming planned events?  How much swag are they throwing your way?  Congrats!!!

Lora-  Great job getting out there in the bad weather, and good job having the courage to make your log public...  The accountability thing goes a long way for me.

Sarah-  If your HRM squawks at you for being out of zone, SLOW DOWN.  I know one of the hardest things right now for me, is staying slow to build a base.  I have been running 10 to 11 minute miles, and it seems really slow.  I keep telling myself to stick with the plan, stay in zone, and I will see the benefits down the road. And, yes you are being watched! Open up that log!!!

Alan-  Total Immersion, Total Immersion...... If you are doing "Total INVERSION", we need to talk.  And way to make me jealous with the recent purchase of the Kurt Kinetic!  Let me know what you think.  Way to go on your consistency.  You are inspiring!!!

Rueben-  Earplugs....  A white see thru banana hammock???  You know I was a Rescue Swimmer when I was enlisted, and I am going to have to hold you to a bit higher standard, and have you wear a coconut bra with the banana hammock.  Not that we are going to lose!!

Curt-  You Firefighters may be a bit off, but I am glad you guys are on our team!!!  You are putting in some great work.  Keep it up!

Lynn-  Uhhh..  I'm a guy... I like bikinis.  I just don't like wearing them (unlike some firefighters).  I haven't gotten the book in the mail yet, but it is on my to do list.  Have fun in the half mary this weekend, and be sure to post a race report.  That is exactly the kind of motivation I need.

Teash-  Welcome, and let us know what we can help you with!!!  There seem to be some very motivated, cool folks so far.

David and Jay-  You guys are on another level, but thanks for hanging with us and providing your insight.

That's it from me for the night.  Thanks for motivating me to work out tonight.  I hope everyone has a good day tomorrow.

Bennet

I'm as new at this as the rest of the group! Did my 1st race last June without a background in swim/bike or running. Somehow I found myself getting alittle compulsive and signed up for the IMKY. I have a ton to learn so I'm trying to learn from others mistakes, and hopefully I can share my mistakes (such as not drinking your planned amount of water on the bike when the temp outside is freezing, then trying to run with it sloshing around!!! REAL FUN)

David

2008-01-16 3:07 PM

Veteran
so I did a little more today than planned..

I got my biking in as planned, and then some. I also did yoga this morning!!! I figured out why my heart rate monitor yells... it yells at me when ever im NOT between 130-170ish. So the first time i needed to slow down...but today was great! I started warming up and it was squawking at me for only being between 100-125. It got me all excited knowing how fast i can go without being out of my ideal base training zone! YAY!!!! You guys really helped me get going! thanks!!
2008-01-16 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1158882

User image

Master
Vista, CA
2008-01-16 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1159547

User image

coldheat - 2008-01-16 11:05 AM did i mention how amazing this group is?! everyone helping everyone...Robyn, this group IS the best!!!

See?  Told ya.

2008-01-16 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1160173

User image

Master
Vista, CA

(Bikini-367x461.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Bikini-367x461.jpg (29KB - 12 downloads)
2008-01-16 3:46 PM

Veteran
AW!!!! SO CUTE....

2008-01-16 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Congrats on the Goofy Challenge Darcey! My goal is to run the Disney marathon next year. I'm a huge Disney fan so that would be so amazing! Congrats again!
2008-01-16 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1160389

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Coconut shell huh, I may have to check my local Layne Bryant for one.

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-16 6:04 PM
2008-01-16 6:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Does anyone know a good brand for a heart rate monitor that doesn't cost a lot or is it not worth it unless it is an expensive one? It sounds like it might help to use it for running outside since I'm not sure if I'm pushing myself enough or too much.
2008-01-16 7:09 PM
in reply to: #1160227

User image

Extreme Veteran
Is that suppose to be some sort of joke. You must know, us Firemen dont appreciate sarcasim. Sarcsim will only get you in further trouble. ha ha

lmscozz - 2008-01-16 4:24 PM

2008-01-16 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
alan,

I put a computer on my cycle ops and use it to get distance and speeds.

It seems to work for me knowing when I slow.

2008-01-16 8:44 PM
in reply to: #1160621

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
gator416 - 2008-01-16 7:30 PM

Does anyone know a good brand for a heart rate monitor that doesn't cost a lot or is it not worth it unless it is an expensive one? It sounds like it might help to use it for running outside since I'm not sure if I'm pushing myself enough or too much.

I have the Polar ( F11) with the nice chest strap. I have tried the cheaper ones and for me they don't seem to pickup my HR as well. Good luck

2008-01-16 8:54 PM

Veteran
I have the Polar F4 which works wonders for me!! about 100 bucks after all was set and done.
2008-01-16 10:08 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Wow, a 5K 1/2 and a marathon? Unbelievable. You're a real inspiration. Great job.

~Lynn
2008-01-16 10:12 PM

Veteran
totally... truly inspiring...especially for those of use who arent the best runners...
2008-01-17 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Hi Folks!

I'm still on track on my goals. I hope everyone is having a good week. My aerobars are being put on today (I'm so glad our Athletic Director has given me his old equipment) Does anyone have any advice on how to get used to them?

I'm looking forward to my swim today. It is for 48 minutes so I hope to get in some swimming as well as drills. Someone asked Tuesday what the shark was. It is a Total immersion Drill that helps you to practice your arm position. Sort of like doing the drag your fingers as you are getting ready to put your fingers in the water but you just bring your hand back. It also helps to practice the bringing your hand up your body like you are zipping up the side of your suit. The zoomers make that drill possible. Just kicking 25m at a time without pulling wears me out. I'm going to see if I can go for a private lesson next month because it is hard to tell if I am even close to doing the drills right.

My son is showing pigs next week 25th and then again Feb 11 I hope I don't get penalized if I keep my goals the same for next week as I do for this week. I want to make them all this week, and get the bonus.....Hmmmm?

Have a good day, and keep it going on the drills...I really don't need to be wearing a red bikini online. What if one of the kids from school sees me? ARRRRRGGGHHH Come on guys! We can do it!

Les

2008-01-17 8:52 AM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Jeeze,How do I keep ending up at the beginning of the page?
2008-01-17 8:59 AM
in reply to: #1161494

User image

Veteran
Subject: TI Drills

I agree with you on the TI drills, Les. It is hard to know what you look like when you are doing them. This morning I did 24 x 25 and all I did was the Sweet Spot, lengthening that, Fish, and whatever the next one is called. I can see they are getting better ... slowly...although to try to roll back from face down back to the sweet spot on the left side I usually feel like i am drowning. I've pretty much decided that's all I'm doing for the next 2 weeks until I have my lessons is go through drills. My zoomers should be here today!!!

I was going to do a few more but an 80 year couple came in the pool and made me look like a slug so I got mad and quit
2008-01-17 10:57 AM
in reply to: #1161513

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Subject: RE: TI Drills

Good job, Les and Alan, glad to see so much prgression going on, ( Alan don't you hate it when you gets smoked by older people ARRRGGHHHH!!!!) I did my 35 minute swim this morning, but have no idea how many laps I did. I just found out the pool wil be closed next Monday due to MLK day. Monday was supposed to be my first true brick (Swim and Bike) so setting up next weeks schedule will be even more of a challange than normal.

2008-01-17 11:02 AM

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

STOP THE PRESSES

ALRIGHT TEAM TRI OK,

YA'LL WANT / NEED MOTIVATION????

LOOKIE WHAT I FOUND!!!

IF WE LOOSE THE BET....

....I AM WEARING THIS!!!

http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/7543.htm

Surprised

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52