BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies CLOSED AND GETTING OUR FIX Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 179

2012-12-18 8:14 PM
in reply to: #4540394

User image

Expert
MI
Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies CLOSED AND GETTING OUR FIX

I would like to officially put myself IN for the next cycle!

I really do think the type of group this is has been great for what I personally would want out of a BT mentor group!  

I am looking forward to new "faces" in the group!

2012-12-18 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4125576

User image

Bronze member
I'm in for another round with the Junkies!
2012-12-18 9:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Iam in for another round!
2012-12-18 9:58 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
I'd love to be a part of the next Junkie cycle!  This past year has been so full of crazy, unimaginable, horrific things in my life that I feel you guys and gals understand.  Simply moving forward each day is a huge undertaking.  I have all of you to thank.  I'm excited to meet any new members to the group and I will definitely help make them feel welcome.
2012-12-18 10:02 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Yeah, Tony.  I put duct tape on the inside of my shoe to cover the holes.  I have toe covers that slip over the front.  I do the ghetto thing but duct tape over the whole front of the shoe wins.....hands down!
2012-12-18 10:04 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
It snowed a little bit here today.  I live at sea level......in California.

2012-12-19 4:38 AM
in reply to: #4540587

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

RunningYogini - 2012-12-18 10:58 PM I'd love to be a part of the next Junkie cycle!  This past year has been so full of crazy, unimaginable, horrific things in my life that I feel you guys and gals understand.  Simply moving forward each day is a huge undertaking.  I have all of you to thank.  I'm excited to meet any new members to the group and I will definitely help make them feel welcome.

This is exactly the attitude we are looking for.  I applaud your strength throughout the year.  2013 will have it's tests as well, and you will push through just like you have.  

You said it snowed....I hope you got out and ran in it!!!

2012-12-19 7:03 AM
in reply to: #4540698

User image

Bronze member
jgerbodegrant - 2012-12-19 4:38 AM

RunningYogini - 2012-12-18 10:58 PM I'd love to be a part of the next Junkie cycle!  This past year has been so full of crazy, unimaginable, horrific things in my life that I feel you guys and gals understand.  Simply moving forward each day is a huge undertaking.  I have all of you to thank.  I'm excited to meet any new members to the group and I will definitely help make them feel welcome.

This is exactly the attitude we are looking for.  I applaud your strength throughout the year.  2013 will have it's tests as well, and you will push through just like you have.  

x2 Tracy I was just thinking about you when I was loafing through my laps in the pool yesterday. I was thinking about your year and how you still find the strength and discipline to fight through your workouts. You are one tough lady.

Had a headache last night so headed to bed early but I agree about this group.

I appreciate the patience, compassion and tolerance this group has for topics tri related or not. Let's face it, whatever is happening in our lives will have an impact on our tri training one way or another so it is all tri talk .

Bring on some new blood!! Can't wait for the group to go live and start welcoming some fresh faces, or whatever we will be looking at in the avatar......

On the training front, I've decided that my motto for the rest of this month is "just keep moving". No pressure for hammering intervals on the bike, laps in the pool, or doubling workouts for now. I'm just going to do something to keep moving every day. 

2012-12-19 7:42 AM
in reply to: #4540749

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2012-12-19 8:03 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2012-12-19 4:38 AM

x2 Tracy I was just thinking about you when I was loafing through my laps in the pool yesterday. I was thinking about your year and how you still find the strength and discipline to fight through your workouts. You are one tough lady.

Had a headache last night so headed to bed early but I agree about this group.

I appreciate the patience, compassion and tolerance this group has for topics tri related or not. Let's face it, whatever is happening in our lives will have an impact on our tri training one way or another so it is all tri talk .

Bring on some new blood!! Can't wait for the group to go live and start welcoming some fresh faces, or whatever we will be looking at in the avatar......

On the training front, I've decided that my motto for the rest of this month is "just keep moving". No pressure for hammering intervals on the bike, laps in the pool, or doubling workouts for now. I'm just going to do something to keep moving every day. 

X3 on this Tracy. It's been unbelievable what you have been through this year and yet you never cease to amaze me with your attitude and your ability to persevere. I admire you for that and I think you have inspired all of us.

2012-12-19 7:45 AM

User image

NH

I'm also obviously in.  I feel a little strange being a mentor as I very much consider myself a tri/endurance sport beginner, but I hope with age comes something of worth to share.

Keep moving is a great mantra Dina.  And Tracy, while we know that every year brings something unexpected and often difficult. we are all praying this year is a bit more smooth sailing for you than last.

2012-12-19 7:57 AM
in reply to: #4540520

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
jgerbodegrant - 2012-12-18 9:14 PM

Obviously I'm in again.  I think that Dirk covered everything, but I do want to emphasize the importance of changing up your mentors.  For a few years I had the same mentor and when I moved on it was a great experience.  This is no way an attempt to get anyone to leave the group.  I just would not feel comfortable holding anyone back from a move that could prove very beneficial.

In the new mentor group I plan on changing up my style of training and racing and I'm really excited to share that with everyone.  It's going to be another great year.

On an aside...any of you guys have a 14.5-16" calf???  I have a pair of zoot recovery pants that don't fit anymore.  I've used them a half a dozen times, but they were too short for me.  They are a size 3.  I think one of the ankles has a pull in it if I remember, but they work awesome....and they are free.  Just PM me if you're interested.

Jonathan both you and Dirk make great points about changing groups but you know having you, Dirk, Jeff and Warren as mentors is what make this group unique and so great. I understand it helps to get different perspectives from others but I think we all get that from you guys.

You guys all have diverse backgrounds and different approaches for doing things. Plus you all have different goals for what you are trying to accomplish. For me I feel like we get a lot more out of it when you guys all weight in with your opinions regardless of whether you agree on something or not. I am not sure that there is another mentoring group out there like this one and that was the main reason I joined the group. I figured I could learn a lot more from you four guys then if were only one person running the group. You guys bring alot more to the table running the group this way. I think it is an awesome way to run a mentoring group.

2012-12-19 9:49 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Gosh.....thanks everyone ~hugs~
2012-12-19 10:11 AM
in reply to: #4540749

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trigal38 - 2012-12-19 7:03 AM

Yes! 

2012-12-19 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4541017

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Let me share a little bit on my training front.

Yesterday was a good day.  I did 2 runs and my ride.  And at PT, I got on the floor and busted out my first push-ups since the surgery.  And there was no pain.

This morning I did my usual bike/run/bike routine and reached another milestone.  The other mentors in the group may remember me some time ago mentioning how my easy treadmill runs had gotten to the point that I wasn't even getting my HR out of the 120s during 5 milers.  So I stepped up my easy pace from 6.5mph to 7.0mph.  This morning after ride-part-1, I had an average HR under 130 for my 5 mile run.  It had inched it's way up to 133bpm by the time the run was over.  Looks like another increase in training pace is in order, but doing that will not sit well with my heel bursitis since the pain is linked to the amount of ankle flexion, which is linked to stride length...

Anyway, with the shoulder improvements and the running fitness improvements I'm a little bit excited right now.

Jonathan, how is that morning running going for you? 

2012-12-19 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4541066

User image

NH
JeffY - 2012-12-19 11:18 AM

Yesterday was a good day.  I did 2 runs and my ride.  And at PT, I got on the floor and busted out my first push-ups since the surgery.  And there was no pain.

This morning I did my usual bike/run/bike routine and reached another milestone.  The other mentors in the group may remember me some time ago mentioning how my easy treadmill runs had gotten to the point that I wasn't even getting my HR out of the 120s during 5 milers.  So I stepped up my easy pace from 6.5mph to 7.0mph.  This morning after ride-part-1, I had an average HR under 130 for my 5 mile run.  It had inched it's way up to 133bpm by the time the run was over.  Looks like another increase in training pace is in order, but doing that will not sit well with my heel bursitis since the pain is linked to the amount of ankle flexion, which is linked to stride length...

Anyway, with the shoulder improvements and the running fitness improvements I'm a little bit excited right now.

Awesome news on the shoulder.  A question about your running.  Why did you jump so much in pace (6.5 to 7.0) and are you planning a similar leap this time around?

2012-12-19 10:45 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

This is awesome news all around Jeff.  This kind of day is what keeps me going.  I'm up to 30 pushups now...I know that's not a lot, but I just have never done them and my damn arms are 4 feet long.  I have all sort of excuses.

The morning running is actually really good.  It's a great way to wake up.  So far my runs have been in the snow, then yesterday in freezing rain and this morning in just the rain.  Maybe tomorrow it will be clear :-).  I find myself running slower because it's the morning and I'm just waking up, which is really good because that 9 miler really beat up my legs.  My right hip is all tight and my calves are sore.  I only have time for about 2-3 miles in the morning, but I think it's enough right now.  I now have time to spend with Kate in the evening and am still able to get the other workout in.  I just need to make sure to get enough sleep.  I'm cutting it a little close right now and may end up run down if I don't get at least 7 hours a night.

2012-12-19 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4541124

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2012-12-19 10:45 AM

This is awesome news all around Jeff.  This kind of day is what keeps me going.  I'm up to 30 pushups now...I know that's not a lot, but I just have never done them and my damn arms are 4 feet long.  I have all sort of excuses.

The morning running is actually really good.  It's a great way to wake up.  So far my runs have been in the snow, then yesterday in freezing rain and this morning in just the rain.  Maybe tomorrow it will be clear :-).  I find myself running slower because it's the morning and I'm just waking up, which is really good because that 9 miler really beat up my legs.  My right hip is all tight and my calves are sore.  I only have time for about 2-3 miles in the morning, but I think it's enough right now.  I now have time to spend with Kate in the evening and am still able to get the other workout in.  I just need to make sure to get enough sleep.  I'm cutting it a little close right now and may end up run down if I don't get at least 7 hours a night.

Tell me about it!  I try to go to bed by 8pm, but will often miss my bedtime.  Either way, I'm definitely fighting through Friday so I can get caught up on my sleep Saturday.  It's the reason I have a dislike of early Saturday workouts!  And come race season it sucks to get up at 4am again on a Saturday. 

I agree that 2-3 miles is enough right now....sounds perfect. 

And 4 foot arms do give you a disadvantage with upper body strength moves.  No matter what it is, you have to move the weight further than a shorter man.  The physics equation for Work = Mass x Distance right?  So you moving 100lbs through your full range of motion is probably like me moving 120lbs through my full range of motion. 

2012-12-19 11:43 AM

User image

Bronze member
JeffY - 2012-12-19 10:18 AM

Jeff, I've said it before but you are a machine! Happy to read all is going so well.

2012-12-19 12:36 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Oh.  So you're attributing your low HR to fitness and not old age?  Well, I guess I've had it wrong all along.

Doing push ups already?!?!  That's a pretty sweet deal. It sounds like your surgeon is pretty good.  You've had 2 shoulder surgeries and by all I can tell, you have had great recovery for both of them.  The heel bursitis has to be troubling mentally as well as physically.  Hopefully things won't become worse as you keep up with your training volume.

2012-12-19 12:45 PM
in reply to: #4541124

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2012-12-19 11:45 AM

Of course these are one arm push ups right?

In the early spring I was getting up early for work one day a week and running a 5k before work.  After a few weeks I kind of enjoyed it bit I was feeling like a slug for the first half almost every run.  I would only allow myself to do this once a week because I already get up at 5AM and another day or two getting up at 4:30 would trash my body and I would be rather intolerant of anything.  Most nights during the work week I get 6.5-7 hours of sleep and anything less than that and I can become a bear.  Over the rest of my HIM build I would begin to feel really tired by the end of the work week and I needed the weekend to play catch up.  I had a couple of night where I would sleep almost 10 hours and that NEVER happens with me.

2012-12-19 1:46 PM
in reply to: #4541443

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
DirkP - 2012-12-19 12:36 PM

Oh.  So you're attributing your low HR to fitness and not old age?  Well, I guess I've had it wrong all along.

Doing push ups already?!?!  That's a pretty sweet deal. It sounds like your surgeon is pretty good.  You've had 2 shoulder surgeries and by all I can tell, you have had great recovery for both of them.  The heel bursitis has to be troubling mentally as well as physically.  Hopefully things won't become worse as you keep up with your training volume.

Yes!  I know you're joking...but for everyone's benefit it's the max HR that decreases with age, you don't suddenly show a slower HR while doing the same things just because you got older.  (or at least it would be accompanied with a greater perceived exertion)  

One-armed pushups...uh, yeah, that's it...

I get up at 3:45am...Toughen up dude.  (but it's all relative.  You don't get to sleep as early as I do).

2012-12-19 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4541094

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2012-12-19 10:35 AM

Awesome news on the shoulder.  A question about your running.  Why did you jump so much in pace (6.5 to 7.0) and are you planning a similar leap this time around?

6.5 is slow for me.  I mean mechanically speaking.  Speeding up to 7.0 felt like nothing except letting my stride relax and open more.  My HR change between the 2 paces was less than 10bpm. 

But it won't be a linear thing.  My next uptick in pace will not be that big.  I haven't decided how high to go, or even IF I will make the change yet (thinking about feet).

2012-12-19 5:27 PM
in reply to: #4541616

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2012-12-19 2:46 PM
DirkP - 2012-12-19 12:36 PM

Yes!  I know you're joking...but for everyone's benefit it's the max HR that decreases with age, you don't suddenly show a slower HR while doing the same things just because you got older.  (or at least it would be accompanied with a greater perceived exertion)  

One-armed pushups...uh, yeah, that's it...

I get up at 3:45am...Toughen up dude.  (but it's all relative.  You don't get to sleep as early as I do).

It is uncommon for me to be in bed before 10 PM.  I have to be really trashed to go to bed sooner.  One of the problems I have even if I'm trashed and go to bed early is that the time my body tells me to wake up coincides with how much earlier I go to bed.  It seems that my mind tells me that I have slept the proper number of hours and I wake up.  For instance, if I go to bed at 9:30, I wake up at 4:30.  The earlier I go to bed the earlier I seem to wake up.

2012-12-19 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats on the pushups and fitness!!!!!!!!!!!
2012-12-19 9:06 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

A brief update on my foot.  I have been continuing my ART treatments for the past few weeks and they seem to be working.  The success isn't as quickly as I would like it to be but I am experiencing relief.  As you know, I have started running again and I will be working into things more aggressively than I would encourage anyone to do themselves.  I ran 3.5 miles today and I still have pain but it is diminished.

I also started getting some acupuncture today.  I am not sure how that will work out but I am going to be optimistic.  I can say for sure that I had some almost instant relief after he removed the needles.  Now I just have to wait and see how things develop. 

I have taken a few things upon myself to make sure I don't keep changing things all the time.  I am wearing my Newtons for all of my runs AND I am wearing them almost all of the time.  I have a pair of Adidas "Adisage" sandals that have a massaging effect to help massage away the scar tissue.  These also provide a fair amount of relief.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies CLOSED AND GETTING OUR FIX Rss Feed  

of 179