Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 47

2009-01-25 6:28 PM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!

Good job on the run.  Have no fear - the first year I did a tri I'm not sure I ran more than 3 miles in training.  And that would have been considered a marathon to me.

I hope everyone had a good weekend.  I am proud to say that I completed my first week on my plan and got in all my workouts.  I know that won't last b/c life has a way of intervening.  :-)  but I got in a solid base week.  Of course not w/o its trials - today I was riding the trainer (a 25m loop course) and decided to put the HR clip on after about 9 miles.  Guess what that restarts the course and it was going to fit my 90 min. ride perfectly.  I was so pissed.  Luckily I had my bike computer going at the same time. 

And yesterday while I was being aggravated by people at the pool and the fact that there were only 2 lap lanes open, I realized that I can't continue w/ the pushup challenge.  With 3 swim workouts and 2 strength/core conditioning classes that spend at least 20m on planks, pushups and abs, I can't fit in 3 pushup sessions.  My muscles never get a chance to recover.  And my back was hurting in the pool.  So that will have to be a second half of the year goal.

One a negative note - my best friend and part-time training buddy called me to say she hurt herself skiing this weekend.  Somewhere in the upper body and enough to cause a great deal of pain.  X-rays were negative and she going to see her doc ASAP.  Keep your fingers crossed that is nothing major.

I hope everyone has a Happy Monday!!!

2009-01-26 9:38 AM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

Thanks.  I'm still excited about my run.  I have to see if I can do it again tonight.

I had a really productive weekend at home, catching up on all the housework that got put off while I was working like crazy.  I don't like it when the house gets too messy.  I need at least the house to be under control so I don't feel like my life is complete chaos.  (Not that I'm a control freak or anything - no, not me, okay, maybe...)

Good job sticking to your plan, Samantha.  Doesn't it feel great to get to the end of the week and know that you did everything you wanted to?  I hope your friend is okay.

2009-01-26 11:16 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
serendipity-thats a great run! be proud!!!

I have been telling myself this as well alot lately-my plan is ramping ramping and i find myself really pushing towards the end of the week, just get the time in however you can and make it work. Thats great!

THis weekend was a loss for me. saturday is a normal day off anyways, but i missed my first workout in the past 11 weeks yesterday, as a concert i went too turned into an all day thing and by the time i got home i was sunburned and tired. it was supposed to be my long run-but im not gonna worry bout it.
i was back in the pool this morning!

on a non-training note- Made a important decision for myself this past week. I will be entering the 70.3 HIM in Austin Texas this coming October 25th,2009. gonna register and plunk down the 240.00 bucks next week so i cannot get out of it if i change my mind.
I had gone back and forth for a month....should i do a HIM my first season, will i be ready etc..
wife gave me the go ahead, and I started talking with a coach who i know from BT.com to help.
the plan is to end the 16week oly plan im on with the Miami International Triathlon (it tapers perfectly to the race) on march 15th, then do a bike focused 8 week plan or 12 week oly-him bridge and cut it down to 8 weeks, then transfer to a HR training HIM plan for 16-20 weeks leading up to the event. My goal is not only to finish but to place MOP if i can. gonna see if my folks wanna come from mass, the whole 9 yards.

im very excited and cannot wait. As i stated in a post on main forums-i swam 3000M nonstop friday in one hour flat (2:00/100), maybe even 59 minutes but i wont get picky
it was my first 3000M nonstop swim and i was jumping up and down on the pool deck scaring some other people in the process haha.
im already thinking about trying to knock out 6000M in two hours flat by june.
man i love swimming
2009-01-26 7:13 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well, I tried to fight it off, but I officially became sick yesterday.  I took the day off work and went and got a decadron shot this morning.  I should be back in business Wednesday I hope. 

I'll catch up on you guys when my head isn't spinning, but I did catch a bit about some good running

2009-01-27 8:38 AM

User image

Master
Poor Bill!  I hope you feel better soon.  There's some nasty germs going around this year. 
2009-01-27 11:40 AM

User image

Expert

Bill - I hope you feel better soon!

I just finished a lunchtime run in the snow.  It was a bit chilly but I ran around the White House four times and its very pretty in the snow.  Tonight - an hour trainer ride UGH!  Although better than trying to bike outside!

Hope everyone is having a good Tuesday.

2009-01-27 12:26 PM

User image

Master
We will be getting that snow later tonight and tomorrow.  I hope it's pretty in the morning when I want to run, and hasn't turned to freezing rain like they're threatening.  The kids are hoping for the first snow day of the year here.
2009-01-27 12:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

I went to see the doctor yesterday because my ribs haven't been healing as well as they usually do after taking a knock, and my run on Sunday was very painful.

She screwed up her face and made tutting noises and said there is a lot of scar tissue and swelling underneath the skin.  I pointed out that there is a lot of "swelling under the skin" in my stomach area also, but she wasn't having it.  I'm not supposed to play basketball or do any running of any sort for 2-3 weeks...

She reluctantly agreed to let me continue riding on the trainer as long as I don't go too hard, so at least I don't have to sit on my backside.

I was planning on making a (triumphant?) return to the swimming pool this week, after not doing any swimming for the last couple of months, but I guess that will have to wait.  Very frustrating...

Edited by danielc 2009-01-27 12:45 PM
2009-01-27 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1931740

User image

Expert
Florida
danielc - 2009-01-27 1:45 PM

I went to see the doctor yesterday because my ribs haven't been healing as well as they usually do after taking a knock, and my run on Sunday was very painful.

She screwed up her face and made tutting noises and said there is a lot of scar tissue and swelling underneath the skin.  I pointed out that there is a lot of "swelling under the skin" in my stomach area also, but she wasn't having it.  I'm not supposed to play basketball or do any running of any sort for 2-3 weeks...

She reluctantly agreed to let me continue riding on the trainer as long as I don't go too hard, so at least I don't have to sit on my backside.

I was planning on making a (triumphant?) return to the swimming pool this week, after not doing any swimming for the last couple of months, but I guess that will have to wait.  Very frustrating...

that stinks Daniel, don't worry tho, just focus on how awesome it will feel to hit that water once you are cleared to go. its better to nip that stuff in the bud and at least she agreed to trainer rides. Im not sure if this will help you but when i was having alot of knee troubles and had some scar tissue i was waiting to clear up-i used a precore crossramp machine at my gym. This simulates running very well i feel and allowed me to do my "run" workouts and get the mileage and time on my legs while not allowing alot of pressure on my knee. I would think if your not pumping your arms then this type of machine would be ok? maybe you could run it by your doc if your gym has one.(or if you even belong to a gym)
2009-01-27 1:47 PM

User image

Master

Daniel, I hope you will follow the doctor's advice.  Better to miss a couple of weeks and heal than dealing with pain all season, right?

In the meantime, think of how many hours you can log on your trainer over the next two weeks! 

My plan has swimming starting next Monday, so I will also have to get back in the pool after almost 3 months off.  Really, I only did about 3 weeks worth of training then, keeping my daughter company while she was getting ready for swim team tryouts.  Otherwise my swimming for the past many years has been in the lake over the summer, and that was mostly swimming after unsecured row boats, small children on rafts, unretrieved dog toys, etc.  I was pretty sore during those 3 weeks, so I'm sure I'll be sore again.  Something to look forward to! 

2009-01-27 2:24 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Sorry to hear, Daniel, but definitely heed Debbie's advice.  It's far better, though incredibly frustrating, to heal now than suffer for longer.  There's plenty of time, and as long as you can maintain fitness on the trainer, you should come out ok in the end.

2009-01-27 2:30 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

A snow run is something I have never done.  Probably because it snows at most once a year here and it's usually melted off by the next day. 

I am feeling much better today.  That shot really cleared me up, which is a relief.  The doc said they have had all kinds of stuff coming in, but she thought mine was just basic sinuses.  Broke my streak  I hadn't been to the doctor since the Spring of 2006.  Anyway, I felt well enough to get back in the water at lunch and had a great swim, and I'll try to sneak onto the trainer for 45 minutes after work.  I've shuffled some stuff around and it looks like I may not have to miss any workouts, but it'll be tight.

2009-01-27 2:36 PM
in reply to: #1931991

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I was just talking to my folks back home in New Zealand and they were saying the same thing - so I will take it easy for a while.  At least I'm not sick of the trainer yet... maybe that will change.

BMan - I'm don't have a gym membership but I do have a couple of passes stored away somewhere so I might check out the crossramp you mentioned.  Thanks for the tip.

Glad you are feeling better Bill.

2009-01-27 2:37 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Beginnerman, I've heard that Austin HIM is a great race.  Cool location, lots of people, good times, etc.  Beware the hill on the run

That's awesome about your swimming.  Have you looked into any distance swim events?  I know there is a 3miler in Pensacola on May 16th.  I wanted to do that one this year, but my sister is getting married in Pensacola the next weekend and two trips back to back isn't exactly in the budget, especially until the DW can find a job.  (Speaking of that, she's got her resume in the hands of three jobs that really interest her right now, so keep your fingers crossed!)

2009-01-27 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
That's too funny that you have never done a snow run.  I was chuckling the other day when I read about BMan being out in the hot sun all day and getting sunburned in Jan.  It just goes to how spread out we all are. 
2009-01-27 3:15 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
As for not getting bored on the trainer... I've switched over to books.  Seems like the time flies by.

2009-01-27 4:28 PM
in reply to: #1932093

User image

Master

sdalessio - 2009-01-27 4:14 PM That's too funny that you have never done a snow run.  I was chuckling the other day when I read about BMan being out in the hot sun all day and getting sunburned in Jan.  It just goes to how spread out we all are. 

I know!  When I run the only exposed skin is between the top of my nose and my eyebrows, and I'd cover that if I could figure out how to see where I'm going. 

2009-01-28 4:19 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
It won't be a snow run, but it will be cold tomorrow morning  Relatively speaking that is.  About 30 degrees or so, which probably isn't that cold for some of our more northernly teammates.
2009-01-28 4:43 PM

User image

Master

It almost got to 40 degrees here today.  We are having a heatwave.  Of course, it is accompanied by rain, so no fun for running. 

How are you feeling, Bill?

2009-01-28 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Much, much better, thanks.  That decadron shot really cleared me up.  I still sound kinda funny (well, even funnier than usual), but all else is well.  I think getting back in the pool has been the tonic I needed.
2009-01-28 11:11 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon

Hey all. Just checking in. Things are moving along here nicely, recovery week in progress.  Yesterday I officially registered for my first two sprints. Yay! First one is May third. I conservatively seeded myself for the pool swim and ride - maybe a little too conservatively. I hope I can change my times a little closer to the race. I'm stoked. Now I have to get back on the bike hunt...

To those on the mend, hang in there!

Rib injuries in particular are such a drag. Patience and rest = totally necessary frustration.

Keep up all the great workouts in the cold and yuck everyone. I'm right there with you. (And so over it! my trigger finger has been on a ticket to hawaii every other day).

2009-01-29 6:56 AM

User image

Expert

Good morning all - I dragged myself through a cold, dark and icy 4.5 mile run at 5:30 this morning.  Glad to be back inside and warm.  Now while sitting at my desk I'm craving Corner Bakery's Banana Oatmeal so I think I'm heading that way.  I have a 12K race this weekend set up through a local running club so it's real low key.  I did the race last year so I can't wait to see how I've improved.  At least I hope I improve.  And what better way to start Superbowl Sunday.  Then I can sit around and eat bad food and drink beer!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

2009-01-29 8:29 AM

User image

Master

Good morning everyone! 

I went out for my run last night and ended up running in the rain.  I definitely prefer snow.  I got it done, though.  I've been sticking with my training plan the past few weeks. 

My 15 year old daughter decided she wants to do the tri with me in June.  They have a 15-17 AG, so I said sure.  She's on the high school swim team and plays lacrosse in the spring, so she's got a good base for the swim and the run.  My only chance of keeping up with her will be on the bike, maybe, if she doesn't train much.  She's on BT to log her training, so if you see Melonhead180 around, say hi.

2009-01-29 9:07 AM
in reply to: #1934951

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
kirih - 2009-01-28 11:11 PM

Hey all. Just checking in. Things are moving along here nicely, recovery week in progress.  Yesterday I officially registered for my first two sprints. Yay! First one is May third. I conservatively seeded myself for the pool swim and ride - maybe a little too conservatively. I hope I can change my times a little closer to the race. I'm stoked. Now I have to get back on the bike hunt...

To those on the mend, hang in there!

Rib injuries in particular are such a drag. Patience and rest = totally necessary frustration.

Keep up all the great workouts in the cold and yuck everyone. I'm right there with you. (And so over it! my trigger finger has been on a ticket to hawaii every other day).

Congrats!  Having a race looming out there always seems to provide a little more motivation to get out and train.

2009-01-29 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1935100

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
sdalessio - 2009-01-29 6:56 AM

Good morning all - I dragged myself through a cold, dark and icy 4.5 mile run at 5:30 this morning.  Glad to be back inside and warm.  Now while sitting at my desk I'm craving Corner Bakery's Banana Oatmeal so I think I'm heading that way.  I have a 12K race this weekend set up through a local running club so it's real low key.  I did the race last year so I can't wait to see how I've improved.  At least I hope I improve.  And what better way to start Superbowl Sunday.  Then I can sit around and eat bad food and drink beer!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

I was in the cold and dark with you, but we were just a wee bit to warm for icy thank goodness.  Good luck on your race, and enjoy that bad food and beer!  I'll be doing my part with the former as well

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47