2009-01-27 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1931617

User image

Master
New York, NY
Subject: RE: Evondo's Group - FULL
Nicole83 - 2009-01-27 12:56 PM
KelliD - 2009-01-27 12:20 PM

Here's a question I've been pondering for a while....

Since I live in a city I don't have (or need) a car, so I get around via public transportaion or preferably walk when I can.  When I go to the gym, 9 times out of 10 I walk home.  I could take the bus, but that usually results in spending more time waiting for the bus to come than it would take if I walk.  It's about a mile, maybe a little more from the gym to my apartment and I tend to be a fast walker.  Should I add this to my log, or would that log padding??

I would include it in the log, but under a "sports" category so that you can have an accurate track of how many miles were actually spent running as part of a training program, vs how many miles are on your shoes.

Oh yea, I meant to add this earlier....if I was to count this in my log it would be as "Sports - Walking".

2009-01-27 12:06 PM
in reply to: #1931629

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
KelliD - 2009-01-27 1:02 PM
Nicole83 - 2009-01-27 12:56 PM
KelliD - 2009-01-27 12:20 PM

Since I live in a city I don't have (or need) a car, so I get around via public transportaion or preferably walk when I can.  When I go to the gym, 9 times out of 10 I walk home.  I could take the bus, but that usually results in spending more time waiting for the bus to come than it would take if I walk.  It's about a mile, maybe a little more from the gym to my apartment and I tend to be a fast walker.  Should I add this to my log, or would that log padding??

I would include it in the log, but under a "sports" category so that you can have an accurate track of how many miles were actually spent running as part of a training program, vs how many miles are on your shoes.

Oh yea, I meant to add this earlier....if I was to count this in my log it would be as "Sports - Walking".

I would do it just to keep track.  But, I am trying to lose weight, so I would want to count it as physical activity to attribute to my BMR.  

2009-01-27 12:30 PM
in reply to: #1856928

User image

Master
New York, NY
To add to my Feb. goals, drinking will also be getting cut back (thanks for reminding me Nicole).  I'm not a huge drinker, maybe a glass or 2 or wine with dinner a couple nights during the week, but it's the Saturday nights out that get me.  The last couple months, especially around the holidays drinking and late nights out definitely ramped up...so it's time to tone them back down.  For the most part my friends are pretty understanding about this.  With my non-active friends I'm starting to gradually ease them into the cut-back and ultimately my temporary social disappearance. 
2009-01-27 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1931698

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!

KelliD - 2009-01-27 12:30 PM To add to my Feb. goals, drinking will also be getting cut back (thanks for reminding me Nicole).  I'm not a huge drinker, maybe a glass or 2 or wine with dinner a couple nights during the week, but it's the Saturday nights out that get me.  The last couple months, especially around the holidays drinking and late nights out definitely ramped up...so it's time to tone them back down.  For the most part my friends are pretty understanding about this.  With my non-active friends I'm starting to gradually ease them into the cut-back and ultimately my temporary social disappearance. 

Ahhh yes, one of the harder aspects of more focused training...sacrifices in the social realm are always tough.  That's what we have this group for...equal understanding of our struggles, extra motivation, and the thrill of seeing the hard work and dedication pay off on race day!!! [insert adult beverages here]

2009-01-27 1:26 PM
in reply to: #1931759

User image

Master
New York, NY
Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-27 1:58 PM

KelliD - 2009-01-27 12:30 PM To add to my Feb. goals, drinking will also be getting cut back (thanks for reminding me Nicole).  I'm not a huge drinker, maybe a glass or 2 or wine with dinner a couple nights during the week, but it's the Saturday nights out that get me.  The last couple months, especially around the holidays drinking and late nights out definitely ramped up...so it's time to tone them back down.  For the most part my friends are pretty understanding about this.  With my non-active friends I'm starting to gradually ease them into the cut-back and ultimately my temporary social disappearance. 

Ahhh yes, one of the harder aspects of more focused training...sacrifices in the social realm are always tough.  That's what we have this group for...equal understanding of our struggles, extra motivation, and the thrill of seeing the hard work and dedication pay off on race day!!! [insert adult beverages here]

I can almost hear the crack of the beer can openning

I just think it's hard for people who aren't involved in tri's in any aspect to grasp the time that goes into training, and to understand why we make the sacrifices we do.  But then again a lot of these people think doing a triathlon is crazy to begin with.

2009-01-27 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1931759

User image

Master
Houston

I hear ya! I try to balance the social/tri life but some of my friends are heavy partiers (I used to be as well) so it's tough. Most of them understand by now not to call me to go out drinking before a long bike/run

Who knows, I might be able to talk some of them into the post race party in New Orleans!

Tri_n_2_b_fast - 2009-01-27 12:58 PM

2009-01-27 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1931880

User image

Master
Houston

Sorry guys, I haven't been on BT much today. We're having layoffs throughout the day so far and re-alignment meetings the rest of the day.  Thankfully my job is safe for now but it just sucks seeing people you worked with since college forced to leave

Great self-assesments by the way, I'd highly recommend doing them every month or so to keep your focus and make changes when needed! 

2009-01-27 4:14 PM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Glad your job is safe Eric!  I work in an industry where a lot of layoffs are happening as well and it always sucks and is extremely nerve wracking.   I sympathize completely.
2009-01-27 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1931542

User image

New user
St. Louis Park, MN

If I may ask, where in the city do you live?  My best freind lives there.  I go visit for a week every summer.

I have all but stopped drinking all together.  I think I have had one rum and a beer in the last month.  I figure its hard enough to deal with calories from food why do I need to add the empty calories of drinks and mixers.  The good thing though is my liqour tolernace is WAY down HEH.  No need for 8 dirty manhattans in one night anymore......  Lucky for me my closets friends are either cyclists, runners or understand what I'm trying to do so I don't get flack from them.  I get tons of support from all of them and my family its quite awesome!!!

KelliD - 2009-01-27 11:20 AM

Edited by Epyon 2009-01-27 7:10 PM
2009-01-28 8:49 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL

Dude, sick days off work are no fun when you're actually sick.  Hello relapse, my name is "doing too much to fast". 

Blech.

Hope everyone's hump day is good!

2009-01-28 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1933217

User image

Master
Houston

Well that stinks, hope you feel better!

Happy hump day everyone!

Nicole83 - 2009-01-28 8:49 AM

Dude, sick days off work are no fun when you're actually sick.  Hello relapse, my name is "doing too much to fast". 

Blech.

Hope everyone's hump day is good!

2009-01-28 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1932552

User image

Master
New York, NY
Epyon - 2009-01-27 7:58 PM

If I may ask, where in the city do you live?  My best freind lives there.  I go visit for a week every summer.

I live on the Upper East Side....roughly 5 blocks from Central Park.  When I was looking for my apartment, the only "must" was that I was close to the Park.

2009-01-29 8:21 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY

Happy Thursday all!  I went to a triathlon symposium the other night, which covered a range of topics from injury/prevention, nutrition during the off season & during race season, swim technique, bike fit, proper running form, wetsuits, and on and on.  Anyway, just thought I'd share some articles that were referenced.  And if anyone's interested the webcast is online here - http://www.wsw.com/webcast/drjmetzl/ (UN - metzl / PW - triathlon09)

Articles - http://www.drjordanmetzl.com/articles.asp
Search under sport - triathlon

2009-01-29 8:50 AM
in reply to: #1935223

User image

Master
Houston

Thanks! I'll have to watch the webcast tonight. I really liked his Kona article...

http://www.drjordanmetzl.com/localpdfs/doctorslife.pdf

KelliD - 2009-01-29 8:21 AM

Happy Thursday all!  I went to a triathlon symposium the other night, which covered a range of topics from injury/prevention, nutrition during the off season & during race season, swim technique, bike fit, proper running form, wetsuits, and on and on.  Anyway, just thought I'd share some articles that were referenced.  And if anyone's interested the webcast is online here - http://www.wsw.com/webcast/drjmetzl/ (UN - metzl / PW - triathlon09)

Articles - http://www.drjordanmetzl.com/articles.asp
Search under sport - triathlon

2009-01-29 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Hey all I just got back from Chicago.  Good and bad news. Bad News woke up Saturday hurling like a champ. Spend the rest of the time sick as can be and still having to attend meetings. Still not back to 100% but have done no training since Friday. That has me worried for my Dual. The good news I did session #2 of ART on Friday before I headed off and just about the whole time wore a compression calf sleeve on it. As of today I have no aches or pains but I have not ran on it either. I had the constant aches and at least those are gone. I will be back at it tomorrow so we will see how the running at lunch goes.

Now to catch up on all that I missed last week here.

2009-01-29 4:14 PM
in reply to: #1936221

User image

Master
Houston

Geez our group is some how capable at sharing germs via internet! Hope you get better...

That's good news about the calf, let us know how it feels tomorrow during/after your run.  Welcome back!

Newtons1st - 2009-01-29 3:09 PM

Hey all I just got back from Chicago.  Good and bad news. Bad News woke up Saturday hurling like a champ. Spend the rest of the time sick as can be and still having to attend meetings. Still not back to 100% but have done no training since Friday. That has me worried for my Dual. The good news I did session #2 of ART on Friday before I headed off and just about the whole time wore a compression calf sleeve on it. As of today I have no aches or pains but I have not ran on it either. I had the constant aches and at least those are gone. I will be back at it tomorrow so we will see how the running at lunch goes.

2009-01-29 7:12 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Newtons1st - 2009-01-29 3:09 PM

Good luck with the run and I hope all is good with your calf.  Sorry to hear about the ick.  I guess it has been a good thing that I have either too busy to spend time on BT or in a training class like today...and unable to access it.  I truly feel for you folks fighting this kind of sickness.  I'll take a head cold any day over that garbage.

Think healthy thoughts...   

2009-01-30 7:36 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Newtons1st - 2009-01-29 4:09 PM

Dude, it really must be going around.  I puked for 5 full days this past week.  I'm 7 days in an almost feeling normal again.

I hope the calf continues to do well for you!

2009-01-30 8:05 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
Newtons1st - 2009-01-29 4:09 PM

Happy Friday!!!! 

Great news on the calf!!  Sorry to hear about being sick...yuk  

Hope everyone feels better soon....and those who are well, stay well!

2009-01-30 8:06 AM

User image

Cambridge, MA
Hello group. I have been traveling a lot so I apologize for the lack of participation. Traveling sure does suck the life out of nutrition and training.
2009-01-30 8:58 AM

User image

Master
New York, NY
I'm reminded this morning of why I don't like late nights out during the week.  Even after coffee, so tired and sluggish.  And, that "one last beer" that I thought was a good idea last night....not really necessary.  Luckily it looks like it's going to be a slow day at the office.  I had such a hard time pulling mysef out of bed this morning that I totally forgot about the push ups I was supposed to do.  I don't know exactly when it happned, but I've totally morphed from a night person to a morning person.  I don't care if it makes me an old lady but I love going to bed early!  Anyway, that is my bit for the day.

2009-01-30 9:09 AM
in reply to: #1937169

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

KelliD - 2009-01-30 8:58 AM I'm reminded this morning of why I don't like late nights out during the week.  Even after coffee, so tired and sluggish.  And, that "one last beer" that I thought was a good idea last night....not really necessary.  Luckily it looks like it's going to be a slow day at the office.  I had such a hard time pulling mysef out of bed this morning that I totally forgot about the push ups I was supposed to do.  I don't know exactly when it happned, but I've totally morphed from a night person to a morning person.  I don't care if it makes me an old lady but I love going to bed early!  Anyway, that is my bit for the day.

Its always the last one that does you in. That sounds like a good morph. I wish I could be a morning person.

2009-01-30 3:34 PM
in reply to: #1931629

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX

Man can being sick for 6 days wear you out. I did my lunch time run today and there wasnt much energy in it. The calf feels pretty good. I still feel a little but it is very low, way less than what it has been. But I still have yet been able to go fast. Not sure if it would handle a speed up.

I am wondering with basically 3 weeks left if I can actually be ready my Dual.   

2009-01-30 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1938097

User image

Master
New York, NY
Newtons1st - 2009-01-30 4:34 PM

Man can being sick for 6 days wear you out. I did my lunch time run today and there wasnt much energy in it. The calf feels pretty good. I still feel a little but it is very low, way less than what it has been. But I still have yet been able to go fast. Not sure if it would handle a speed up.

I am wondering with basically 3 weeks left if I can actually be ready my Dual.   

The first day back out there is the hardest.  I would take it easy and build back up as you feel comfortable.  Glad to hear the calf is feeling better.

2009-01-30 4:00 PM

User image

Master
New York, NY

I'm heading out of town early tomorrow morning to visit friends for the weekend, so it's looking unlikely that I'm going to get any workouts in.

I have one very important thing to add for the weekend.....

GO STEELERS!!!

Edited by KelliD 2009-01-30 4:01 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Evondo's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 137