BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-06-21 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
Thanks everyone!! The good news is that I snagged 1st place in my AG - so that makes two triathlons and two first place finishes. But it also needs to be noted that the field of women was really small and I think there were only two of us in the AG to start with!

I had a TERRIBLE swim. Really awful. I backstroked about 75% of the course and because I couldn't see where I was going, I swam off-course a few times. I probably ended up swimming 1000m altogether. But I just couldn't pull it together! The seaweed was awful and every time I tried to freestyle, my arms would get all wrapped in it and then I would start to panic and I couldn't breathe. Even doing the backstroke, I still ended up wrapped in seaweed around my arms and head, but at least I could breathe. It's not a very good excuse though since everyone else had to swim in the same conditions. I just need a lot more swim training. I'm going to give myself an extra month on my goal of completing a 1500m open water swim and get some pro coaching in the meantime. Hopefully by my next sprint, I won't completely choke. Embarassed

2009-06-21 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Official race report is here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=165375 for anyone who may be interested.
2009-06-21 10:49 PM
in reply to: #2232602

User image

On your right
Ok John, I'm definately in a position that I would really appreciate your advice.

Currently I'm just riding my lame Schwinn MTN bike.  I could have the ability to get a new entry level Trek road bike for a rather good price, or a Specialized Allez for very similar.  I know I'll be looking to upgrade to a tri bike, or just a better bike in the future, but most likely not for at least a year, or more likely, after the 2010 season.  If I wait until the winter, I could get a little more bike, but I don't like riding my MTN bike because I know it stinks, and it just isn't a great fit.  It's not bad, but it could be better.  Although there isn't a lot of adjustment to be made with a Target-special.

Anyhow, would you pull the trigger on the road bike ASAP, or just deal with the MTN bike and go for a better bike right off the bat, which would potentially push back the need for an upgrade a little bit?

2009-06-22 7:37 AM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Jenna,

Congrats on your successful race this past weekend.  Sounds like you ran into a couple issues but worked your way through them.  Good job!!!
2009-06-22 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2232842

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Chaderbox - 2009-06-21 8:49 PM Ok John, I'm definately in a position that I would really appreciate your advice.

Currently I'm just riding my lame Schwinn MTN bike.  I could have the ability to get a new entry level Trek road bike for a rather good price, or a Specialized Allez for very similar.  I know I'll be looking to upgrade to a tri bike, or just a better bike in the future, but most likely not for at least a year, or more likely, after the 2010 season.  If I wait until the winter, I could get a little more bike, but I don't like riding my MTN bike because I know it stinks, and it just isn't a great fit.  It's not bad, but it could be better.  Although there isn't a lot of adjustment to be made with a Target-special.

Anyhow, would you pull the trigger on the road bike ASAP, or just deal with the MTN bike and go for a better bike right off the bat, which would potentially push back the need for an upgrade a little bit?

When you say upgrade after 2010, do you mean a second bike? Or sell and replace?

My first recommendation, would be that if it fits in your budget currently, I'd go with the entry level Trek, add some clip ons and maybe a fast forward seat post, and clipless pedals. Get comfortable with it, and it should be able to carry you through a few seasons. Then, when you get your tri bike, you can use the Trek as a trainer rider and bad weather ride, and/or commuting.

Most frames will last quite a long time, barring accidents, so you could even upgrade components down the road a ways and have a pretty nice road ride for not too much $$.

I'd be sitting on eBay and craigslist though. A year or two older bike won't be that much different than a 2009 model, especially in entry level, and you can get more bike for your $$ that way. Just takes a bit of patience.

John
2009-06-22 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2232029

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
trysprintolympic - 2009-06-21 12:35 PM Thanks everyone!! The good news is that I snagged 1st place in my AG - so that makes two triathlons and two first place finishes. But it also needs to be noted that the field of women was really small and I think there were only two of us in the AG to start with!

I had a TERRIBLE swim. Really awful. I backstroked about 75% of the course and because I couldn't see where I was going, I swam off-course a few times. I probably ended up swimming 1000m altogether. But I just couldn't pull it together! The seaweed was awful and every time I tried to freestyle, my arms would get all wrapped in it and then I would start to panic and I couldn't breathe. Even doing the backstroke, I still ended up wrapped in seaweed around my arms and head, but at least I could breathe. It's not a very good excuse though since everyone else had to swim in the same conditions. I just need a lot more swim training. I'm going to give myself an extra month on my goal of completing a 1500m open water swim and get some pro coaching in the meantime. Hopefully by my next sprint, I won't completely choke. Embarassed

1st in your AG is great, doesn't matter how many entered! Good job!

And re: the seaweed/kelp/algae, you didn't choke. You adapted, completed the swim and still won! Not a choke. (And to be honest, swimming through gunk like that creeps me out too!)

John

2009-06-22 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2233792

User image

On your right

The LBS that I am looking at has a ride now, pay later deal going on.  As long as you pay the full price off in a year, it's no interest.  So I was in there today and looking at a Trek 2.3.  Just under $150 a month.  So with that, I'm at a little more than entry level. 

When I say I'd upgrade, I would likely just buy a TT bike as well, but depending on how I like whatever I get, I may just trade out components.  Unless they do that special again, then it would just be likely I'd buy brand new again.

I know the LBS dude will try to sell me the bike that makes him the best money, but they definately had some way more expensive ones, and a handful that were cheaper.  So I think that the 2.3 would definately be a bike I could ride for a while.  In fact, I actually almost bought it today.  But I figured Mrs Chad would gut me in my sleep.  I've learned that when I say "Hey Mrs Chad, can I buy a new bike?" and she says "Do whatever you want" in that tone of voice, it really means "You had darn well better not buy a bike."  But my sleep deprived state had me on the verge of doing it anyhow.

So if all of a sudden I'm not on here anymore, you can know that I bought a bike, and then was beaten to death in my sleep by my wife. 

With 6 weeks or so between my races, I may still be able to talk my wife into letting me spend the $ before the 2nd race.  So that's what I have my hopes set on for now.

Ok, I'm off to bed.  I've only slept 4 hours in the last 45.  Frown

2009-06-22 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
You can always do what my (now ex) husband did - secretly build a $6k road bike in the basement (from online bike sites/ebay) while he was unemployed.

Of  course we know how that ended - he's the ex and I'm using the bike.

2009-06-22 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2234035

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Chaderbox - 2009-06-22 9:42 AM

The LBS that I am looking at has a ride now, pay later deal going on.  As long as you pay the full price off in a year, it's no interest.  So I was in there today and looking at a Trek 2.3.  Just under $150 a month.  So with that, I'm at a little more than entry level. 

When I say I'd upgrade, I would likely just buy a TT bike as well, but depending on how I like whatever I get, I may just trade out components.  Unless they do that special again, then it would just be likely I'd buy brand new again.

I know the LBS dude will try to sell me the bike that makes him the best money, but they definately had some way more expensive ones, and a handful that were cheaper.  So I think that the 2.3 would definately be a bike I could ride for a while.  In fact, I actually almost bought it today.  But I figured Mrs Chad would gut me in my sleep.  I've learned that when I say "Hey Mrs Chad, can I buy a new bike?" and she says "Do whatever you want" in that tone of voice, it really means "You had darn well better not buy a bike."  But my sleep deprived state had me on the verge of doing it anyhow.

So if all of a sudden I'm not on here anymore, you can know that I bought a bike, and then was beaten to death in my sleep by my wife. 

With 6 weeks or so between my races, I may still be able to talk my wife into letting me spend the $ before the 2nd race.  So that's what I have my hopes set on for now.

Ok, I'm off to bed.  I've only slept 4 hours in the last 45.  Frown

Ok, if you do get permission from Mrs. Chad, I'd go for it on that deal. Get the 2.3 with the compact crank up front. It's got 105 components with a few Ultegra thrown in, and this years 105 is generally the Ultegra from a couple years ago, so they are good, lasting components.

I'm guessing on size, but with a 54, it's got a 74.5 degree seat angle, so it's steeper than road and not quite as steep as a tri, so you could easily fudge it a little bit and have a pretty good tri bike for a few years.

Do it! Do it! (I'm all about the marital discord , and that being said, it's generally what Mrs. John says that goes in my household too...)

John

2009-06-22 2:24 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
I try to live by the old adage:  "Sometimes it's easier to seek forgiveness, than ask permission."  However, it usually doesn't work for me atleast.
2009-06-22 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2234087

User image

On your right
alexenafi - 2009-06-22 12:58 PM You can always do what my (now ex) husband did - secretly build a $6k road bike in the basement (from online bike sites/ebay) while he was unemployed.

As much as I'd like to secretly build you an uber-bike then have you dump me for my thoughtfulness, I think I'll pass on that one.

Mrs Chad's biggest argument to the bike purchase is that I've not even raced once yet, and I want to spend >1K on a bike.  She just doesn't want me to spend money on a potential fad thing.  That's why I"m holding out hope for a lack of "heck dang no" attitude after my race this coming weekend.  I figure if all I talk about is how awesome the experience was, I might be able to change her mind.

2009-06-22 5:12 PM
in reply to: #2235019

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Chaderbox - 2009-06-22 1:44 PM
alexenafi - 2009-06-22 12:58 PM You can always do what my (now ex) husband did - secretly build a $6k road bike in the basement (from online bike sites/ebay) while he was unemployed.

As much as I'd like to secretly build you an uber-bike then have you dump me for my thoughtfulness, I think I'll pass on that one.

Mrs Chad's biggest argument to the bike purchase is that I've not even raced once yet, and I want to spend >1K on a bike.  She just doesn't want me to spend money on a potential fad thing.  That's why I"m holding out hope for a lack of "heck dang no" attitude after my race this coming weekend.  I figure if all I talk about is how awesome the experience was, I might be able to change her mind.

Chad - "Hey, hon, I was thinking...if we BOTH got bikes we could go riding together!"

Hopefully not followed by the retort "Why, do you think I'm getting fat?!?"...cause there ain't NO graceful way out of that trap...

John
2009-06-22 5:46 PM

User image

Expert
Except to say "Of course not, sweetheart! I was just hoping to motivate myself to get in shape by spending as much time with your beautiful body as possible."

I wish my husband wanted to ride bikes with me. I asked him if he wanted to come on a group ride with me once and he laughed out loud. I feel bad - I don't think that he's completely disinterested (although that is a real possibility too), I just think he's convinced himself that he wouldn't be able to do it. At least this way I have someone to watch the kids while I ride though!
2009-06-22 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Hi gang.
I'm back!
I went for a 30 min run. Did 8 and 1s. Got hot really fast but kept at a steady pace and drove it home.
Didn't wheeze/cough on the run. Bit wheezy now.
Think I should wait until Wed am until my next session. Give myself lots of recovery time.
What do you think?
Fi
p.s. Strikes in Toronto means that the pool are all shut until further notice. So it's back to the short pool at the gym.
2009-06-23 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2235276

User image

On your right
tkd.teacher - 2009-06-22 6:12 PM

Chad - "Hey, hon, I was thinking...if we BOTH got bikes we could go riding together!"

Hopefully not followed by the retort "Why, do you think I'm getting fat?!?"...cause there ain't NO graceful way out of that trap...

John

The first problem would be her response of "We both have perfectly good bikes we can ride together already."  Unfortuately, they are crappy Target MTN bikes.

The second problem is that we have a 9mo old.  So we would need to tote him with us.  So we could easily get a carrier for a bike, but I'll be damned if I'm putting a baby seat bracket on a new road bike.  So that leaves either her bike, or my MTN bike.  If it's going to be on the MTN bike, why do I need a new one? (that  is her response) or it goes on her bike, which would be a big no because she's a poor cyclist.

Maybe I'll play the "hey honey, in the last 4 years, I've spent nearly 10K on jewelery for you.  I want 1500 for a bike, get over it."  Well, I will manage it with a bit more tact, but that would be the main point.
2009-06-23 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2236343

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Chaderbox - 2009-06-23 9:29 AM The first problem would be her response of "We both have perfectly good bikes we can ride together already."  Unfortuately, they are crappy Target MTN bikes.

The second problem is that we have a 9mo old.  So we would need to tote him with us.  So we could easily get a carrier for a bike, but I'll be damned if I'm putting a baby seat bracket on a new road bike.  So that leaves either her bike, or my MTN bike.  If it's going to be on the MTN bike, why do I need a new one? (that  is her response) or it goes on her bike, which would be a big no because she's a poor cyclist.

Maybe I'll play the "hey honey, in the last 4 years, I've spent nearly 10K on jewelery for you.  I want 1500 for a bike, get over it."  Well, I will manage it with a bit more tact, but that would be the main point.

As an option, you could try looking for a used one, if you know your size or have been fitted for size at your LBS.  Craigslist would be the first place I would look for used.  You could find a couple year old bike for half of what you want to spend on a new one.  I went the way of buying what I could afford and that was a new Spec. Allez Sport with a mix of Tiagra and 105 components.  Not bottom of the line, but close.  Had I checked around used, for the about the same price as I paid, I could have found a lot more bike with better components.  Just an idea and another option to consider.

Also interested to see how your last point works out.  Keep us married guys in the loop on that one.  :-)

2009-06-23 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2236506

User image

On your right
Yeah, I've been checking the used bikes on CL and eBay.  All of the decent bikes on CL are rather high end and still out of my range. 

I would be more willing to go the eBay route, but the LBS that I would buy from has a credit plan with 0% interest for 12 months.  So I could get the bike sooner by needing to pay much less up front.

I'll keep you posted on how poorly the discussion goes on the jewelery front.  In fact, I'll tell you in person as I'm looking for a place to live after I'm thrown out. 
2009-06-23 12:30 PM
in reply to: #2237224

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Chaderbox - 2009-06-23 10:13 AM Yeah, I've been checking the used bikes on CL and eBay.  All of the decent bikes on CL are rather high end and still out of my range. 

I would be more willing to go the eBay route, but the LBS that I would buy from has a credit plan with 0% interest for 12 months.  So I could get the bike sooner by needing to pay much less up front.

I'll keep you posted on how poorly the discussion goes on the jewelery front.  In fact, I'll tell you in person as I'm looking for a place to live after I'm thrown out. 

Well, if you can afford the $150/month, then for now, just put it in an account. In 5 or so months, you'll have shown that you are dedicated to the sport, and you'll have $750 saved up towards the bike. Then you can put a pretty good chunk of change on it, and maybe even get a little higher end bike. Say if you can do a $1800 bike now for 12 months, then in 6 months you can afford a $2500 bike ($700 down plus 150/month for 12 months), or an 1800 bike with a cool set of wheels (Which is the option I'd go with.)

I'm pretty sure that in 5 or 6 months, the LBS will still have the 12 month/0% interest thing going.

Oh, and those zip top two wheel tow carriers for kiddos are really slick.

John

Edited by tkd.teacher 2009-06-23 12:30 PM
2009-06-24 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Chad-
 Do you have anything you could sell? I wanted to by a wetsuit and my other half was very much against it for similar reasons... What if you don't do a tri again... and... You have a pool to swim in why do you need to swim in a lake, in maine. I sold my White water kayak and used that money, he didn't argue with that!

Well I discovered that you need to know where you are going, or at least have a clue, when going biking in an unfamiliar area. I ended up biking for 1hr 40mins when I wanted to go for just an hour. Oh, and it poured the last 20 mins.
2009-06-25 7:26 AM
in reply to: #2239022

User image

On your right
zachkoe - 2009-06-24 9:00 AM Chad-
 Do you have anything you could sell? I wanted to by a wetsuit and my other half was very much against it for similar reasons... What if you don't do a tri again... and... You have a pool to swim in why do you need to swim in a lake, in maine. I sold my White water kayak and used that money, he didn't argue with that!

Well I discovered that you need to know where you are going, or at least have a clue, when going biking in an unfamiliar area. I ended up biking for 1hr 40mins when I wanted to go for just an hour. Oh, and it poured the last 20 mins.

No, I don't have anything to sell.  When I moved here to SC from NY, I essentially threw away everything I owned that wasn't clothes and books because I couldn't afford a big enough Uhaul at the time.  In the end, she'll let me buy it, she just wants to be sure I'll stick with it, which is reasonable.  The money isn't even the real issue.  I can easily manage to buy it.  Heck, I could spend ~3K on a bike if I felt like it.  But for 1500 I can get a bike that I won't grow out of for a while.  The bigger issue is that if I spend the money and don't keep up with it, then it's a waste.  So really, all I have to do is keep up with racing.  I think my enjoyment of the race this weekend will go a long way towards convincing her.
2009-06-25 8:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Hey,
I got out on my bike this morning. Not bad after working 12 hrs yesterday. Was on the road at 6am.

Legs still feel a bit sore. But excited for the race. I too want to find out how I like triathlon so I can be sure that I want to invest in a bike.

How is everyone else doing?

Fi

2009-06-25 9:14 AM
in reply to: #2241944

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

alexenafi - 2009-06-25 9:41 AM Hey,
I got out on my bike this morning. Not bad after working 12 hrs yesterday. Was on the road at 6am.

Legs still feel a bit sore. But excited for the race. I too want to find out how I like triathlon so I can be sure that I want to invest in a bike.

How is everyone else doing?

Fi

I've just switched to 12 hour shifts and it's been rough on the training.  I work noon-midnight so I have to get up early to get the training in.  It's hard to roll out of bed after a long night at work with the prospect of another long night looming.  On the plus side, I only work three days then I'm off for three.  I can mostly get caught up on sleep and training on my off days.  Now...if only the magical gnomes would come and clean my house and go to the grocery for me, I'd be in good shape!

2009-06-25 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2242075

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
esc - 2009-06-25 7:14 AM

I've just switched to 12 hour shifts and it's been rough on the training.  I work noon-midnight so I have to get up early to get the training in.  It's hard to roll out of bed after a long night at work with the prospect of another long night looming.  On the plus side, I only work three days then I'm off for three.  I can mostly get caught up on sleep and training on my off days.  Now...if only the magical gnomes would come and clean my house and go to the grocery for me, I'd be in good shape!

Merry maids. Absolutely worth it.

John
2009-06-25 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
live-in nanny - with our without kids - absolutely worth it.
2009-06-26 8:46 AM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Had a pretty good week of consistent training, which I've lacked here in the past couple weeks.  Taking a couple days off to prepare for Sunday.  A good friend and I are going to do a trial run of our upcoming race, which is 3 weeks from tomorrow (WOW!!!).  Going to hit the race distances as closely as possible, along with trying to do actual transitions as well.

This should give me a good indication of what I'm getting myself into.  Tongue out
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24