BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-05-05 11:56 PM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
Hi Ladies!  Welcome to our new friends!

Sorry I've been missing in action, it's been a crazy few days.  I'm from PA, but in CA right now.  I had a business trip scheduled for meeetings on Mon-Wed, but I came earlier to visit a friend in San Fran.  Unfortunately my training has been suffering.  I havent worked out since last Wednesday (except lifting legs on Friday).  I finally got a run in tonight.

Anyhow, I can't stay long and still have a lot of reading to do on here.  I have so much work to catch up on from being in meetings all day. 

We had a great weekend and I got to see an old friend that I hadn't seen for over 2 years.  She and I went to Napa, it was awesome.  Thinking of coming back with my bf soon.

I'm staying in south san francisco and there is a jogging trail right out the back door of my hotel that runs along the bay.   The reason why I chose this hotel.  What a beautiful run!  Lots of big, beautiful sail boats and yachts on the water and perfect weather too.  I don't know how to measure the distance since it was actually a "trail" and not roads, but I ran for about 46 minutes, so it should have been around 4 miles based on my normal pace.

Hope everyone is having a great week!  I'm hoping to get back out there tomorrow.  Gonna finish watching biggest loser now, go for a quick dip in the hot tub and then will probably be up till the wee hours catching up on work stuffCry

2009-05-06 1:08 PM
in reply to: #2133063

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
maggiewvu - 2009-05-06 12:56 AM

I'm staying in south san francisco and there is a jogging trail right out the back door of my hotel that runs along the bay.   The reason why I chose this hotel.  What a beautiful run!  Lots of big, beautiful sail boats and yachts on the water and perfect weather too.  I don't know how to measure the distance since it was actually a "trail" and not roads, but I ran for about 46 minutes, so it should have been around 4 miles based on my normal pace.

Hey, I just mapped a trail run on mapmyrun.com by using the satalite image, you can sometimes see the  trail if you zoom in enough.
2009-05-06 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2132801

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
lkc01234 - 2009-05-05 9:22 PM
Ran today at the park today, but wasn't able to make it as long.  I think my pace was up and I couldn't slow myself down...I had the same problem as last Tuesday where I could feel my lunch - even though it was 5 hours ago!!

maybe it isn't how long ago, but what you have eaten. I know I have a hard time working out after pasta or ice cream (that is a better treat for after anyway ;0)

Edited by freeflykami 2009-05-06 1:10 PM
2009-05-06 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Subject: training twice a day
so on monday I did a bike/run brick and then on tuesday I did my normal 1 hr. swim with the masters, but felt like a slug... so today, I had a great run and am deceiding if I should jump on the trainer tonight for the long ride or hold off 'till friday (looks like it will have to be on the trainer then too, dang rain) since I have another hr. swim tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I am getting overtrained or if it was just the brick from the day before that messed with me.

I'm training for the tri the end of June but I've also got a one mile ows race in about 3 weeks so I don't want to loose the swim, and then a 5k the first weekend of june.... Any thoughts? 

Edited by freeflykami 2009-05-06 1:28 PM
2009-05-06 1:29 PM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

It has been raining here for days (feels like months!) and it's really starting to get to me.  I've been doing my workouts, but I really have to drag myself out of bed in the morning to do it.  Please, if you have sun, send some our way!

Monday afternoon I had a mole removed from the rim of my eyelid.  Nothing major.  It's been there my whole life and I would have left it there except it started growing hairs (one of those turning 40 things) that poked my eye all the time.  The eye doctor tried to pluck them out for me, but we finally decided it had to go.  So I went for the 5 minute procedure, thinking it would be no big deal.  Then the doctor got out the needle to numb my eyelid.  I felt my blood pressure drop and the room went dark.  When I could see again it was done and the doctor was taking my pulse.  I was fine, but it wiped me out for the evening.  Fainting just takes alot out of me, I guess!

2009-05-06 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2133063

User image

Master
maggiewvu - 2009-05-06 12:56 AM
Hope everyone is having a great week!  I'm hoping to get back out there tomorrow.  Gonna finish watching biggest loser now, go for a quick dip in the hot tub and then will probably be up till the wee hours catching up on work stuffCry

I wouldn't mind a dip in the hot tub this week!

2009-05-06 1:46 PM

User image

Master

There is a local 5K here on Saturday, so I will probably run that.  It feels good to be at the point in my training where a 5K isn't a stretch and I can decide at the last minute to run a race. 

I'm also looking at another weekend of cleaning out and packing.  We did the basement last weekend, and this weekend is the garage.  Our garbage men hate us!  We through so much away.  Once the garage is done, I feel like we can start showing the house.  Moving is so much work, but I think I'm getting some strength training lugging boxes around.

2009-05-06 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2134483

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
serendipity - 2009-05-06 2:46 PM

There is a local 5K here on Saturday, so I will probably run that.  It feels good to be at the point in my training where a 5K isn't a stretch and I can decide at the last minute to run a race. 

I'm also looking at another weekend of cleaning out and packing.  We did the basement last weekend, and this weekend is the garage.  Our garbage men hate us!  We through so much away.  Once the garage is done, I feel like we can start showing the house.  Moving is so much work, but I think I'm getting some strength training lugging boxes around.

I'm moving also. Beginning of June. We are building a new house, exiting but a lot of work!! I try to not let my training suffer too much but sometimes I have to keep my priorities straight, like last night when I was suppose to go swimming but hubby needed me to help out at the new house. I can swim on Thursday so it's no biggy

2009-05-06 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2122761

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts

Hi Christine,

I lived in St. Petersburg FL for 20 years and just moved back to MA 4 years ago. We still have our architectural business down there and my husband goes down about twice a month. We just got back a week and a half ago, and just missed the St. Anthony's Triathlon. I was bummed. The St. Anthony's Triathlon is one of the races I would like to do in 2010.  Maybe you will end up there as well.

Welcome again to the group.

2009-05-07 9:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY

Whew. I haven't posted in awhile but have been doing my workouts pretty regularly, except for swimmingFrown 

I have been going to bootcamp workouts 3x a week for the last two months- sometimes we are outside, sometimes in. Yesterday we were warming up for a 5 mile run, and I overheard our trainer saying something about "yes, and she will be running a marathon, and swimming over two miles....I am so proud of her!" I looked up to see who she was talking about, and everyone was looking at me Embarassed I said "Oh no, I am not doing an Ironman! I'm doing a sprint triathlon".

You know, my trainer's face fell, and she said "oh it's just a SPRINT? I was so eager to help you because I thought you were doing a full triathlon!" I didn't know what to say. A few of the (very sweet) ladies in the class said "we are still proud of you" and things like that, but wow. That really took the breath out of me.  Now I kinda feel like a slob, doing all this work which is challenging for me for JUST A SPRINT. I haven't told more than one or two people about my training - she was one - but now I am really going to make a concerted effort to keep it to myself.

I am sooo tired (all this rain) and hungry and frustrated. This is some journey, huh?

Edited by bluwatersoul 2009-05-07 9:02 AM
2009-05-07 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2136062

User image

Master
bluwatersoul - 2009-05-07 10:01 AM

You know, my trainer's face fell, and she said "oh it's just a SPRINT? I was so eager to help you because I thought you were doing a full triathlon!" I didn't know what to say. A few of the (very sweet) ladies in the class said "we are still proud of you" and things like that, but wow. That really took the breath out of me.  Now I kinda feel like a slob, doing all this work which is challenging for me for JUST A SPRINT. I haven't told more than one or two people about my training - she was one - but now I am really going to make a concerted effort to keep it to myself.

I am sooo tired (all this rain) and hungry and frustrated. This is some journey, huh?

The rain has to stop soon, right?  It's getting me down too.

Don't be discouraged by those comments.  There are lots of people out there who couldn't do "just a sprint".  Ignore them and keep training.

You can tell us about your training.  We'll support you, and be proud of you when you cross the finish line.  Hang in there!

2009-05-07 9:52 AM
in reply to: #2134862

User image

Master
mekira - 2009-05-06 4:55 PM
serendipity - 2009-05-06 2:46 PM

I'm moving also. Beginning of June. We are building a new house, exiting but a lot of work!! I try to not let my training suffer too much but sometimes I have to keep my priorities straight, like last night when I was suppose to go swimming but hubby needed me to help out at the new house. I can swim on Thursday so it's no biggy

It will be great to have a brand new house!  I don't know about you, but my training has become the normal, stable thing in my day while everything else is up in the air.  It gives me something else to focus on besides my "to-do" list.

We are moving into our vacation home temporarily until we find something else.  It's tiny and already furnished, so I have to pack everything to be in storage for a few months.  I'm trying hard to keep it very organized so we can find something if we need it.  It's really motivating me to get rid of stuff we don't need.  If it's not worth storing, it's not worth keeping!
2009-05-07 10:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
Subject: Chi Running
Lora (and anyone else into Chi Running) - I would like to know more about this.  I have the book but it seems impossible to find reading time these days!   I watched a bunch of youtube videos and have tried to apply the techniques I saw.   One of the things I have really been working on is cadence.     The first few times I tried to monitor it I felt confused and frustrated because when I tried to increase my cadence, my HR went way up!  I knew that wasn't the way it is supposed to work.  Last night, I didn't want to work out...long day in the corrals...but decided to go for a short, slow run.   I worked on cadence and WOW!  It worked!   I seem to consistently have a cadence of 85 (on the bike too) and this time my HR stayed in aerobic zone.   I felt great when I finished.    Can you share your knowledge on cadence and also on any other aspects of Chi Running?      There is a clinic in Denver sometime soon - only one certified instructor in CO - but it costs $125 and with all the other expenses getting into Tri-ing, I am not sure I should do it.

Sharie
2009-05-07 11:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Wyoming
bluwatersoul - 2009-05-07 8:01 AM

Whew. I haven't posted in awhile but have been doing my workouts pretty regularly, except for swimmingFrown 

I have been going to bootcamp workouts 3x a week for the last two months- sometimes we are outside, sometimes in. Yesterday we were warming up for a 5 mile run, and I overheard our trainer saying something about "yes, and she will be running a marathon, and swimming over two miles....I am so proud of her!" I looked up to see who she was talking about, and everyone was looking at me Embarassed I said "Oh no, I am not doing an Ironman! I'm doing a sprint triathlon".

Wow!   That trainer should be ashamed!!   Any effort, at any age should be affirmed, encouraged and congratulated!   From what I have read, there are a lot of triathletes who only do sprints.    You shouldn't feel like a slob!!  You should be super-duper proud of yourself for the commitment to training and TRI-ing!   Like was already said....think of all the people who are just sitting around and will never, ever do a Tri or anything else athletic!

Three cheers for you!!!!!    And  Tongue out to the trainer!

Sharie
2009-05-07 11:58 AM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
bluwatersoul - 2009-05-07 9:01 AM

... Yesterday we were warming up for a 5 mile run, and I overheard our trainer saying something about "yes, and she will be running a marathon, and swimming over two miles....I am so proud of her!" I looked up to see who she was talking about, and everyone was looking at me Embarassed I said "Oh no, I am not doing an Ironman! I'm doing a sprint triathlon".

You know, my trainer's face fell, and she said "oh it's just a SPRINT? I was so eager to help you because I thought you were doing a full triathlon!" .....

First of all...I just wanna say that I'm impressed with you doing the bootcamps!...and how you casually mention that you were warming up for a 5 mile run...whoa!!  I haven't been able to do 2 miles yet!!

Secondly - "just a sprint" is such an oxymoron!  I've told many people I'm training for a Sprint and I do try to down-play it, but they always say... "I still couldn't do it!"  I'm guessing the winner of IM's didn't just one day decide that they were going to do one - I'm guessing it took years of training to get to those distances!!!

Thirdly - It's your trainer's job to run boot camp - and although I'm sure that he or she could keep up with the class...it's their JOB!!  Is it your job to do a triathlon???  I'm pretty sure it's not.  Tongue out You're not getting paid to do this, you are out on your own free will moving your butt and getting things done!   GO YOU!!!!
2009-05-07 12:06 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA

I just wanna say...I HATE HORMONES!!!! Yell

I know that I should be thankful that my body's chemistry is "normal" and that I am regular, etc....But it makes me so tired!  It makes me so impatient!  It makes me so hungry....and it messes with my stomache!

AND - it is blue skies and sunny this morning and now, during lunch - but this evening when I have time to work out - I'm sure it'll be raining cats & dogs again... ::SIGH::

I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle!!!  And none of the men around me understand! Undecided 

On a more positive note (which come few and far between this week)...I really like listening to music - especially when I work out (I'm just ignoring the fact that I won't be able to during the tri....!)  I have a blackberry and have found a free radio app (It's called Slacker radio).  Not sure who else has an option like this - but it's great!  I just choose the genre, etc... It was great for my run the other day!  I just selected "Party Hits" and was off...instead of getting tired of my iPod playlist Laughing

2009-05-07 1:12 PM

User image

Regular
West Fargo

I thought you were doing a full triathlon!" I didn't know what to say. A few of the (very sweet) ladies in the class said "we are still proud of you" and things like that, but wow. That really took the breath out of me.  Now I kinda feel like a slob, doing all this work which is challenging for me for JUST A SPRINT. I haven't told more than one or two people about my training - she was one - but now I am really going to make a concerted effort to keep it to myself.

I agree with what many of the comments that have been said here since your post! There's another way to look at this too. Maybe your trainer was seeing the athlete that you are. I would have felt deflated too. But just think, with all you are doing, your trainer sees an IronWoman in you. And yes, ALL this training for JUST a sprint. I haven't even done one yet! Doing JUST a sprint will put you in a class that very few belong. Remeber that. I'm sure the reaction that your trainer had will have her sleepless on how she said what she said, and how it affected you. Don't let someone's words tear down everything you have built. You've got some strong support here. I hope you allow the words of this group to drown out the words of one.

"Someone may have stolen your dream when it was young and fresh and you were innocent. Anger is natural. Grief is appropriate. Healing is mandatory. Restoration is possible." ~Jane Rubietta

2009-05-07 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2136589

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
lkc01234 - 2009-05-07 12:06 PM

I just wanna say...I HATE HORMONES!!!! Yell

I know that I should be thankful that my body's chemistry is "normal" and that I am regular, etc....But it makes me so tired!  It makes me so impatient!  It makes me so hungry....and it messes with my stomache!

AND - it is blue skies and sunny this morning and now, during lunch - but this evening when I have time to work out - I'm sure it'll be raining cats & dogs again... ::SIGH::

I feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle!!!  And none of the men around me understand! Undecided 

On a more positive note (which come few and far between this week)...I really like listening to music - especially when I work out (I'm just ignoring the fact that I won't be able to during the tri....!)  I have a blackberry and have found a free radio app (It's called Slacker radio).  Not sure who else has an option like this - but it's great!  I just choose the genre, etc... It was great for my run the other day!  I just selected "Party Hits" and was off...instead of getting tired of my iPod playlist Laughing

Haha! To top all of everything else off I am hormonal this week too, the rain is the icing on the cake! I do love rainy days but this is taking it a bit far IMO.

I use the men around me as incentive to pull myself out of whatever moods I may be in instead of expecting them to understand ANYTHING about my far superior intellect and chemistry LOL! You should try it!

I  too LOVE listening to music during my workouts, I put alot of new music on my ipod from different playlists and getto hear alot of new music that way. Except for runs - I must orchetrate that list because I need as much energy as I can get.
2009-05-07 4:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Megan,

Your trainer is either 1) an "elitist" - in which case you should just ignore her - it's her problem, not your's or 2) she didn't mean it the way it sounded - in which case you should just ignore her - it's her problem, not your's.

Denise

2009-05-07 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
bluwatersoul - 2009-05-07 10:01 AM

Duuuuudddde!  Wow!  That would have totally taken me by surprise, too, Megan.  A lot of really great comments on here already and they're all right, frankly.  One of the things I've seen here on BT - in one way or another - is for more experienced triathletes to never say "just a sprint" to a newb in a demeaning way.  A sprint isn't easy for the majority of us.  Honestly, it's just hard.  Crossing that finish line - no matter what the distance - is worthy of celebration and not dismissal.  Sure, you've got some folks with either a background in one or more of the events, or they're just naturally athletic and can start out running 6 minute miles, but they are the exception, not the rule.  I guess she's never been on BT.

Frankly, she should have been more eager to help you because you're doing a sprint and not an IM, not the other way around.

You are training for something that only 1% of the population can claim to have done: finish a triathlon - any triathlon.  I understand how that could have completely taken the wind out of your sails.  Hopefully the support you've gotten on here already can help put some of that wind back in.  I'm so sorry you had to experience that let-down today, and I hope you don't let what she said get you down for too long.  You've got an impressive goal to meet just up ahead.  Not everybody can say that.  We're all here for you when the "regular" world isn't...

Edited by Lora109 2009-05-07 7:17 PM
2009-05-07 7:19 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Will be catching back up tomorrow afternoon with everyone.  I'll have an announcement about a challenge at that time, too.  Stay tuned...

2009-05-08 8:21 AM
in reply to: #2137607

User image

Expert
Missouri

Lora109 - 2009-05-07 7:19 PM Will be catching back up tomorrow afternoon with everyone.  I'll have an announcement about a challenge at that time, too.  Stay tuned...

I love challenges!  Just don't make it too hard, OK?Laughing

Megan - ditto what everyone else has said.  That trainer has a really bad attitude if you ask me.  I think I'd find a new one (if possible) who would be excited about training you for whatever your goal is.

Anyone doing anything exciting this weekend?  I think I'm going to run a 5k tomorrow morning.  The weather should be perfect for it.  Sunday I'm going to try to get some yardwork done after a morning bike ride.  I probably should try to squeeze in a short swim also sometime this weekend since I skipped it this morning (I was lazy and stayed in bedSmile).

Have a good day all!
Janet

2009-05-08 8:59 AM

User image

Master
I'm doing a local 5K Saturday morning.  Then it's back to cleaning out and packing.  The garage is on the schedule for tomorrow, so I'm hoping the rain stays away. 

It's finally sunny here today!  Yeah!  (Of course, now I'd rather be outside than at work.)

I had a good swim this morning.  It was my longest ever.  It was supposed to be 39 minutes, but I ended up swimming a few extra because I really wanted to swim a mile today.  I did it - 1,800 yards.  (A mile is 1760 yards.) Good way to start the day.
2009-05-08 12:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota

Debbie/Janet  - good luck with your 5ks

Somebody already said this, but isn't it fun to just be able to go out and run a 5k anytime you feel like it.

Denise
2009-05-08 1:11 PM
in reply to: #2139106

User image

LadyNorth - 2009-05-08 1:51 PM
Somebody already said this, but isn't it fun to just be able to go out and run a 5k anytime you feel like it.

Completely agree!  I, for one, would not be able to say that one year ago, and now I feel blessed to have a stronger and  healthier (and slowly getting smaller) body.

Mary Sue
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36