BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-06-12 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2210383

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
Subject: RE: GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring
cjhild - 2009-06-11 9:53 AM G- I have a question about breathing during the swim.  Like Suzy mentions above, I have seen a lot about breathing out continuously while your head is in the water.  I breathe out just before I turn my head to be out of the water to take the breathe.  Should I be breathing out the whole time?  I tried it once and felt like I was not getting enough oxygen, felt light-headed and like I was going to pass out.  Maybe I was breathing out too much?

My best advice is to breathe out just before you turn your head -- it's a good habit and provides additional buoyancy/body position.

2009-06-12 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2210952

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
BabsVa - 2009-06-11 12:21 PM

Gordo, without a wetsuit, is OWS maybe 15% slower than a pool? Between sighting, course corrections, and no push off the wall - yeah, it's gotta be slower. 

Sometimes I get a bit caught up in the metrics and the piling up of training numbers but then kind of remember how amazing it is that we can do these things, how strong we are, yet so humble in the big scheme of things and there we are swimming biking running, moving, living our lives as fully as we can.

Anyway, a little bit of trippin' on endorphins thoughts. Take care all!

Tough to say the exact difference because of chop, wetsuits, drafting, capacity to swim straight, lack of accurate courses, currents....

NEVER trust your swim time... unless it is a PB... then the course was accurate for sure!

2009-06-12 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2214394

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
GordoByrn

NEVER trust your swim time... unless it is a PB... then the course was accurate for sure!

Lovin' this one.

Thanks for your input Suzy and Barb.

Big training day tomorrow with my s/b/r, I will let you guys know how it goes.
2009-06-13 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2214394

Expert

GordoByrn - 2009-06-12 5:24 PM NEVER trust your swim time... unless it is a PB... then the course was accurate for sure!

<just about sprayed coffee all over my keyboard> Ya know I am beginning to suspect the pool length has been inaccurately measured too

2009-06-13 1:23 PM
in reply to: #2072085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Disappointed, decided to bag my sbr today.  I tweaked my neck a couple days ago, went to the chiro yesterday and it feels much better but I think swimming 1000 yards would be a poor idea.  Going to take a short ride with a buddy today and see how the neck feels with that, it goes ok I will hit a long ride tomorrow morning in the national park with a short run to follow.  Bumming hard on it right now.

What are your guy's weekend plans?
2009-06-13 1:31 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I am back from my duathlon and happy to report I was the 2nd female overall and 1st in my AG!  Take away the swim and I am semi competitive!  The bike was a bright spot, I finally hit 19mph for the leg. I passed so many males along the way (yeah!).  Of course, one of them passed me back on the last leg of the run, but it was at least eye candy. At that point I was about to pass out .  My asthma is becoming a limiter.  When my inhaler no longer touches the situation, it is a problem. 

Justin--sorry to hear about your neck, but having gone through injuries, I know it is best to step back rather than push through it and be miserable for weeks and or months. 

Hope everyone else is enjoying the weekend!

Suzy

2009-06-14 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2215334

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
SSMinnow

1st in my
AG!

WAY TO GO!!!  Congrats that is awesome.  Good job.

I know it is best to step back rather than push through it

Thanks Suzy, it helps to be reassured it is the right call when you want to get out there so bad.

Edited by cjhild 2009-06-14 2:36 PM
2009-06-14 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2200352

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa 

About 30 min swim*, 1 hr 23 bike AHR 145, 1 hour 6 min run* AHR 145

Looking good Barb.

I checked the results from last year for my race on the 28th.  With my estimated times I would come in around the bottom ten people, male and female.  Doh!  Man there are some fast people out there.  Can't wait to see how it goes.

2009-06-14 4:03 PM
in reply to: #2216549

Expert

cjhild - 2009-06-14 4:18 PM Man there are some fast people out there.  

From what I hear that part of the country is thick with triathletes. Come to C'ville for a race scene that's decidedly more chill. 

2009-06-14 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2215334

Expert

SSMinnow - 2009-06-13 2:31 PM I am back from my duathlon and happy to report I was the 2nd female overall and 1st in my AG! 

Suzy you Miss Fast Thang you. You certainly train hard - you deserve it. Good going!

2009-06-14 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2216609

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
BabsVa

From what I hear that part of the country is thick with triathletes.

Indeed. 

Oh yeah, it is a deep water start.  I missed that when I signed up!  Nervous about it.  You guys do a deep water start yet?

2009-06-14 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2216769

User image

Champion
cjhild - 2009-06-14 6:14 PM
BabsVa

Indeed. 

Oh yeah, it is a deep water start.  I missed that when I signed up!  Nervous about it.  You guys do a deep water start yet?

I have not done one yet and would rather do a beach start if I had the choice.  I watch IM WI every year and it seems like those athletes are out there for a long while, but do fine.  I bet once you have one under your belt it won't matter a bit. 
2009-06-15 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2216769

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
cjhild - 2009-06-14 5:14 PM
BabsVa

Indeed. 

You'll be fine -- what tends to happen is that all the fast (or keen, or crazy!) swimmers bunch at the front -- you want to line up behind them, not in the "crush".

Gun goes off -- everyone goes from vertical to horizontal -- fast swimmers are gone -- most everyone else is on top of each other.  By staying behind the mess, you get a good lead out; save energy; and avoid stress.

2009-06-15 9:28 AM

User image

Went for another run this morning. My knee is bothering for about the first 10 minutes or so that I run and then feels fine after that. The run went okay and I was feeling fine afterward. However, after showering and everything once I put my boots on and started walking around both my knees and my left foot were hurting . The pain in my knees went away about half way through the day but my foot is still bothering me. Think I may avoid running outside until I can get new shoes and see if that is the problem.

On a side note, if all goes well I might actually get out of here within the next week.

Hope everyone's training is going well and that everyone had a good weekend.
2009-06-15 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2217958

User image

Champion
InsertNameHere - 2009-06-15 9:28 AM Went for another run this morning. My knee is bothering for about the first 10 minutes or so that I run and then feels fine after that. The run went okay and I was feeling fine afterward. However, after showering and everything once I put my boots on and started walking around both my knees and my left foot were hurting . The pain in my knees went away about half way through the day but my foot is still bothering me. Think I may avoid running outside until I can get new shoes and see if that is the problem.

On a side note, if all goes well I might actually get out of here within the next week.

Can't give you too much advice on the leg issues, but will keep my fingers crossed you are home by next weekend!
2009-06-15 5:56 PM
in reply to: #2217958

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
InsertNameHere - 2009-06-15 8:28 AM Went for another run this morning. My knee is bothering for about the first 10 minutes or so that I run and then feels fine after that. The run went okay and I was feeling fine afterward. However, after showering and everything once I put my boots on and started walking around both my knees and my left foot were hurting . The pain in my knees went away about half way through the day but my foot is still bothering me. Think I may avoid running outside until I can get new shoes and see if that is the problem.

This could help: http://www.endurancecorner.com/biomechanical_fitness/>
Took me a couple years of hiking & strength training before I could run pain free. 

2009-06-15 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2219640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
GordoByrn - 2009-06-15 4:56 PM
InsertNameHere - 2009-06-15 8:28 AM Went for another run this morning. My knee is bothering for about the first 10 minutes or so that I run and then feels fine after that. The run went okay and I was feeling fine afterward. However, after showering and everything once I put my boots on and started walking around both my knees and my left foot were hurting . The pain in my knees went away about half way through the day but my foot is still bothering me. Think I may avoid running outside until I can get new shoes and see if that is the problem.

This could help: http://www.endurancecorner.com/biomechanical_fitness/>
Took me a couple years of hiking & strength training before I could run pain free. 

Let's try that link again...

http://www.endurancecorner.com/biomechanical_fitness

2009-06-15 9:56 PM

Hi - It's been a while as I've been on the road but training and racing are going pretty well. However, I'm still having issues with the swim. My time at my last race wasn't too bad but I don't seem to be improving much. Maybe you can help me figure out what I need to focus on ( technique, strength, endurance, etc. or all of the above!).

Here's something I noticed tonight after working on various drills.  Background info: I take too many strokes (25-30/ 25M).  A friend suggested that maybe I wasn't gliding enough. So, tonight I tried to glide more. Helped a little but not much. Then I did some catch up drills and noticed that my stroke count was between 20-22/25M. Then I did 1 arm drills and my count was again 20-22. How can my stroke count be worse when I use both arms and swim "normally"?
2009-06-16 7:56 AM
in reply to: #2220131

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boulder, CO
laurabuchholz - 2009-06-15 8:56 PM Hi - It's been a while as I've been on the road but training and racing are going pretty well. However, I'm still having issues with the swim. My time at my last race wasn't too bad but I don't seem to be improving much. Maybe you can help me figure out what I need to focus on ( technique, strength, endurance, etc. or all of the above!).

Here's something I noticed tonight after working on various drills.  Background info: I take too many strokes (25-30/ 25M).  A friend suggested that maybe I wasn't gliding enough. So, tonight I tried to glide more. Helped a little but not much. Then I did some catch up drills and noticed that my stroke count was between 20-22/25M. Then I did 1 arm drills and my count was again 20-22. How can my stroke count be worse when I use both arms and swim "normally"?

Hi Laura,

How many times did you swim in March/April/May and June (month to date)?

I ask because swimming is the most technique intensive of the three sports... so... responds well to swimming often.

2009-06-16 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2217803

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
You'll be fine

Thanks G.

For a workout, if I have an average HR in zone 2 or 3 where I want it to be, is this a "good" workout?  So if I have spikes throughout the workout up into 160-170, but my average is in zone 2 am I making progress towards my endurance goals?  Does this make sense?  I think I understand what I am trying to say better than I am able to type it.
2009-06-17 1:13 AM
in reply to: #2219640

User image

2009-06-17 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California

The pool I swim at is outdoors.  I get started at 5:00 am, around 5:30 am someone nearby starts cooking bacon.  I do not know who it is, but I hate them.

2009-06-17 10:50 AM

User image

New user

Hey everyone! 
Just returned yesterday morning from a 4 day vacation on Maui with my wife (we celebrated 17 years together) -- I am now figuring out how I move there permanently! Wink

Did not do any formal "workouts" while down there, but did a LOT ... let me say, a LOT of walking!  My wife and I love fitness and being active, so walked most mornings to this great deli on Kanapa'ali for breakfast, and did a lot of walking around Lahaina.  Sunday we went out on a great snorkeling trip to Molokini.  I snorkeled as much as possible, and covered a lot of territory, even got some free diving in.  Saw a reef shark, a HUGE barracuda, a morray eel, and many of the smaller colorful fishies.  It was AWESOME!  Also did some open water swimming, but not a whole lot. 

Well, I am still trashed (the flight home was a 6 hour red eye Monday night), but only have a 30 min bike on tap for today, so will be taking it easy and stretching a lot.  May hit the weights this afternoon if I can get in some naps (I took the rest of the week off from work as well)...

On triathlon news:  I did set my races for this year.  August 15th I will do Tri in the Pines sprint up in Show Low, AZ;  September 27th Nathan's Sprint tri in Tempe AZ; and then finally on November 1st I will do the Amica sprint at Lake Pleasant, AZ (that one is nice b/c it's in my city)... then a nice break in the action and figure out next year.

Not to get spiritual or 'personal' here, but I have really been reflecting a LOT lately on what is really important in life, and the fact that I need to focus my life on those simple things and keep them simple and important.  For me, God is the common thread that must run through everything (again, that's for me, I know this is not a spiritual forum!), and then my focus must be as simple as 1. health, 2. family, 3. work, 4...other stuff.  Still working that out, but keeping it simple....

Triathlon falls under the 'health' category, and I need to be mindful enough to keep it there.  HEALTH, not 'competition' (although that is a fun aspect of it, so long as I keep it in perspective) or 'ego' or anything else.  Health... so that triathlon is contributing to my well-being and not taking away from it. 

OK, I have gotten really long winded on this post -- great to be back online, and I will have to catch up on a couple of pages of threads...

Gordo, will be up in your neck of the woods next week -- well, down in Lakewood CO for work.  Nothing thrilling...  Hoping to be back in Denver in the next couple of months for a team strategy meeting and may try to stay an extra day and get out to see Boulder ....

Have a great day everyone!!!!

ken
(PS, if I can figure out a way to post a pic, I have a great shot they took of us at a restaurant for our anniversary)...

2009-06-17 11:18 AM

Expert

Ken

I think your post is very interesting and pertinent to everyone's life. What keeps us inspired is important. Also it's very interesting what you post about health being priority - you have taken steps toward maintaining/enhancing it by adopting triathlon or multisport or any other similar activity in your life. As a country we are currently engaged in debate about heath - healthCARE that is. As someone who is a healthcare provider it is amazing to observe how many of us do not prioritize our own health and well-being. And believe me, those individuals, and then the rest of us, too, pay a LARGE price for that, in so many ways. It saddens me how many of my colleagues are overweight/on anti-depressants/smokers/on blood pressure medication - and that they are surprised or even annoyed by my tendency to go for a run at lunchtime - that kind of thing is almost frowned upon in so much of our culture. We would all be so much better off if health - accent on preventive healthcare - were number one our lists, just as it is on yours. Keep seeking the joy, if that is God to you personally, well more power to you, Ken. I guess I see more a lower-case god in living life fully, with joy, with gratitude for being alive, for being one with nature, with moving breathing, striving ... hey, Ken you got me going now!
All the best to you and your goals. You will enjoy your races, I'm sure.

2009-06-17 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2223885

Expert

cjhild - 2009-06-17 10:43 AM

The pool I swim at is outdoors.  I get started at 5:00 am, around 5:30 am someone nearby starts cooking bacon.  I do not know who it is, but I hate them.

Gak! Bacon.

Noseclip? ;-)

5:00 am that's pretty early. You're hardcore, dude.

Edited by BabsVa 2009-06-17 11:23 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GordoByrn's Group Full for the Spring Rss Feed  

of 27