BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2009-07-20 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2072537

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =)

I did my first tri of the season Saturday!  (the baby version of Sara's ).  It went well for the most part (except the swim; never my strong point).  I was 17/41 in my AG, so solidly MOP, which makes me happy!

The one frustration I had was a swimmer who kept swimming diagonally into me - I finally gave her an elbow and asked her to swim straight, but it still happened.  I didn't think I could sprint fast enough to get by her and still finish without drowning.  Anyone face this and/or have good suggestions?  We were in a relatively narrow channel then, so it was hard to get to the side.

2009-07-20 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2295557

User image

Veteran
congrats on the first tri of the season!  looks like it well but for the colliding swimmer; as a total beginner and a challenged swimmer, i have no words of advice on this issue but it seems like the elbow is a reasonable defensive move
2009-07-20 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
kudos to all who had races this weekend; you rock!  

the first tri of my life is coming up on sunday.  any advice on what i can put on my body to make my wetsuit remove more quickly/easily?  i have no problem peeling it down to my ankles but then it fights me on peeling over the ankle and foot.  i'm making the effort to not sit while removing it but i'm really struggling on this last piece.  some random guy told me he uses baby powder but that seems like it would have an effect on the neoprene; i've tried body glide on the legs just above the ankles but that isn't making any difference.  im open to suggestions...

thanks
2009-07-20 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2295692

User image

Expert

oshunluvah - 2009-07-20 10:36 AM kudos to all who had races this weekend; you rock!  

the first tri of my life is coming up on sunday.  any advice on what i can put on my body to make my wetsuit remove more quickly/easily?  i have no problem peeling it down to my ankles but then it fights me on peeling over the ankle and foot.  i'm making the effort to not sit while removing it but i'm really struggling on this last piece.  some random guy told me he uses baby powder but that seems like it would have an effect on the neoprene; i've tried body glide on the legs just above the ankles but that isn't making any difference.  im open to suggestions...

thanks

I have the same problem- I think I lost some time in T1 this year because of it.  I wouldn't sit, but would practice stepping on the wetsuit legs to pull them off more quickly.  Do you have zippers at least?  I noticed that most of the wetsuits now have legs that are a little shorter than mine, with zippers, and look easier to get off, so I may get a new one some year.  You may be OK with baby powder at the ankles- even if it isn't great for the neoprene it's not a crucial area, and probably won't have an effect for a long time (especially if you only do it in races).

Good luck this weekend!

2009-07-20 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
I survived my first 70.3 and can't wait to sign up for Lake Placid this weekend!  My RR report is up...it's a GOOD example of how nutrition can make or break your race (My gels and bar fell out of my back pocket just as I mounted my bike after T1).

Edited by WittyCityGirl 2009-07-20 1:52 PM
2009-07-20 1:35 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Karen, I can't believe I totally spaced on not sending you an inspire or posted a good luck note to you before your race. I'm sorry!!!

I tried to figure out who you were when the ladies in pink started rolling through the BT water stop, but I couldn't figure out who you were.  My mentor, Kenj, said he's in the same area as you, you guys should meet up!

With people who swim into you, I would either speed up or find away to get to the other side of them.  I had that trouble, too.

momandmd - 2009-07-20 9:57 AM

I did my first tri of the season Saturday!  (the baby version of Sara's ).  It went well for the most part (except the swim; never my strong point).  I was 17/41 in my AG, so solidly MOP, which makes me happy!

The one frustration I had was a swimmer who kept swimming diagonally into me - I finally gave her an elbow and asked her to swim straight, but it still happened.  I didn't think I could sprint fast enough to get by her and still finish without drowning.  Anyone face this and/or have good suggestions?  We were in a relatively narrow channel then, so it was hard to get to the side.

2009-07-20 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2295692

User image

Master
Dunedin
I still have trouble with this, too.  Despite using body glide.  I would suggest looking at this video:

T1 TRANSITION TIPS!!! Including how to take off your wetsuit!

Hopefully, that works!

oshunluvah - 2009-07-20 10:36 AM kudos to all who had races this weekend; you rock!  

thanks
2009-07-20 4:57 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
On the wetsuit, I know people that use PAM spray or something similar. 

And on the straight-challenged swimmer...either speed up and try to stay ahead of them, or slow down just a little to let them pass you then you can move away from them.
2009-07-20 5:12 PM

User image

Veteran
thanks to everyone for the wetsuit removal tips; sara's video link actually shows the swimmer using the method i tried today, pulling the suit as far down as possible then stepping on the suit while pulling my legs up (i also had my friend bodyglide on the ankles and feet so it probably helped!).  i'll stick with this method for the 1st tri and work on adjusting it for the next Wink

great work on the him sara!
2009-07-21 8:37 AM
in reply to: #2296486

User image

Expert

WittyCityGirl - 2009-07-20 2:35 PM Karen, I can't believe I totally spaced on not sending you an inspire or posted a good luck note to you before your race. I'm sorry!!!

I tried to figure out who you were when the ladies in pink started rolling through the BT water stop, but I couldn't figure out who you were.  My mentor, Kenj, said he's in the same area as you, you guys should meet up!

With people who swim into you, I would either speed up or find away to get to the other side of them.  I had that trouble, too.

momandmd - 2009-07-20 9:57 AM

No worries!  I know you were preoccupied with HIM thoughts .  There really needs to be a BT tent at the musselman- there are enough of us, but the water station isn't a great place to meet people if you are actually racing.

2009-07-21 9:52 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I had a new PR this weekend! 1:20, beat last years time by 15 minutes!!!!

Sara, I can;t wait to read your race report, heading there after this posting.

As far as the wetsuit peeling, I have had that trouble also and I have heard to use spray on Pam, it works well and you smell like butter!  Mmmmmmm

As far as the swimmer swimming into you, had this happen and I have been that guy. Just remember it is probably not intentional on thier part, and I even learned that in my case, it wasnlt them that was not swimming straight.  The only thing I can tell ya, is swim faster and get stronger. My last race (CATS in June) was the  most bumping swim I have ever done, so I vowed to get stronger so I could swim through  the people next time, Luckily, I had penty of swim room last weekend, but I knew that I could power through it if needed.

2009-07-21 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2298223

User image

Master
Dunedin
Good idea!!! I'll have to suggest that to "the boys" that I volunteered with!

momandmd - 2009-07-21 9:37 AM

No worries!  I know you were preoccupied with HIM thoughts .  There really needs to be a BT tent at the musselman- there are enough of us, but the water station isn't a great place to meet people if you are actually racing.

2009-07-22 9:32 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

I am heading out to FL for vacation today, so I will be around less than usual. I plan on getting in sme swims and beach runs while gone in between eating tons of crab legs and shrimp!   LOL

2009-07-22 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2301259

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Have a fun vaca! 

Beach runs are brutal!  Enjoy!

jford2309 - 2009-07-22 9:32 AM

I am heading out to FL for vacation today, so I will be around less than usual. I plan on getting in sme swims and beach runs while gone in between eating tons of crab legs and shrimp!   LOL

2009-07-22 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Hello Ladies and Gents,

I downloaded the Athlete Information Guide for IM Lake Placid and wanted to share the Race Checklist with you.  I found it to be waaaay more thorough than the checklist that came with my USAT card...

PRE RACE TRANSITION
Warmup clothes
Food and drinks
Race numbers
Race belt
Water bottles
Bike pump
Electrical tape
Spare tires
Spare tubes

SWIM
Wetsuit
Swimsuit/skin suit
Goggles
Race cap
Spare cap
Body glide
Towel for transition

BIKE
Bike
Race wheels
Handle bar end plugs
Food for bike
Helmet
Sunglasses
Cycling shorts
Cycling jersey/singlet
Cycling shoes
Rain jacket
Tights
Sicks
Tubes
Tires
Tire levers
Patch kit
Small tool kit
Water bottles/JetStream
CO2 cartridges
Bike pump
Glue (sew-ups)

RUN
Hat/visor
Singlet
Shorts
Tights
Long sleeve shirt
Socks
Lace locks
Reflective tape
Fanny pack
Gel/food for run
Salt tablets
Fuel belt
Sunglasses
Blister pads
Post race towel
Shoes

2009-07-23 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Thanks Sara.

Just curious - under bike it has sicks - what is that?

Happy almost Friday everyone! Smile

2009-07-23 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2296485

User image

Upstate NY
WittyCityGirl - 2009-07-20 2:35 PM I survived my first 70.3 and can't wait to sign up for Lake Placid this weekend!  My RR report is up...it's a GOOD example of how nutrition can make or break your race (My gels and bar fell out of my back pocket just as I mounted my bike after T1).

Same here can't wait to sign up, but once I do I know I am all in!!!  No more talking about doing one :-
2009-07-23 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2303309

User image

Master
Dunedin
Sicks is code word for socks. Ha!  Spelling/typing is not my forte. =)

Betsy0706 - 2009-07-23 9:48 AM Thanks Sara.

Just curious - under bike it has sicks - what is that?

Happy almost Friday everyone! Smile
2009-07-23 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Thanks everyone for all the inspires...it really has helped.  My goal is to start working out again this Sat.  Got the chest xray back and doc said nothing was wrong there.  He sent me to get a CT scan done yesterday.  Got the results back today and he said nothing was wrong there.  So, at this point he doesn't know what is wrong and he is going to have me go see a gastro-something-or-other.  The pain is still there, but maybe it is just something I'll have to live with.  It is just frustrating not being able to determine what is going on. 

I mentioned before that he put me on some meds that knocked me on my .  Well, apparently those same meds weaken your immune system and the last day I was taking it I caught a bad cold/allergies and have felt like crap again all this week.  It's one thing after another.  I have been sleeping much better so that is good news. 
2009-07-23 8:55 PM
in reply to: #2304920

User image

Veteran
omg tim!  i haven't been paying attention to the forum, way too busy lately but i see that you've been quite ill and i am sorry to hear this.  i hope this passes and you are well soon.
2009-07-24 8:36 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Stanley (trying1) and Cindy (oshunluvah) BOTH have races this weekend (am I missing anyone??).  

Have a great time!!!  I'm looking forward to reading your race reports!  

2009-07-24 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2305418

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Good luck and remember to have fun out there! 

Continue to give us updates Tim.  Glad you are at least getting some sleep.

WittyCityGirl - 2009-07-24 8:36 AM Stanley (trying1) and Cindy (oshunluvah) BOTH have races this weekend (am I missing anyone??).  

Have a great time!!!  I'm looking forward to reading your race reports!  
2009-07-24 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Alright folks, I'm heading out!!!  I'm volunteering at IM Lake Placid in hopes of registering on Monday for IMLP '10.  Volunteers get first dibs on the slots left after this years athletes sign up.

Happy and safe racing/training!
2009-07-27 6:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just got back from my first Olympic and boy am I tired.  I'm not sure how people do HIM or IM!

I'll have the full race report up by tomorrow but in short.  The swim was pretty good, i was surprised about the time since I swerved a bit and all the traffic.. 20min 1 sec (1:12 per something this is from the official race results).  Weird thing was during the long run to T1 both my legs completely cramped, this was unusual since i had such a long time period off.  As soon as my legs cramped I knew I was in trouble for the run and possibly the bike.  T1 took me almost 8 min because i had the cramping issues and thus had trouble getting the wetsuit off.  The bike was surprisingly good as well.  I was cramping on the bike too but I tried to stretch as much as possible during the ride.  Lots of long climbs but lots of downhills too.  I avg 18.8 (computer said i was 19.5) and I know I could have done better if I didn't have the cramping issue.  There were some crashes too, the road ways were pretty narrow and a few sharp technical turns with so many bikers.  T2 was also long due to full leg cramps in both legs again..  I had problems putting on my shoes.  The run was brutal.  I knew this was going to be tough considering my leg injury and not running for awhile but the problems seemed to be related more to all the cramping going on.  I ran walked the whole thing and avg around 11min miles.  2:30min-3 min slower than I typically run on the same course.  Overall I had fun, I'm confused about the legs cramping after the swim because I hydrated well a few days before the race and I'm happy I hit my time mark, under 3 hrs (but barely).

Edited by trying1 2009-07-27 6:24 AM
2009-07-27 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2309428

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
Nice race Stanley!  Sorry to hear about the cramping issues. 

trying1 - 2009-07-27 6:17 AM I just got back from my first Olympic and boy am I tired.  I'm not sure how people do HIM or IM!

I'll have the full race report up by tomorrow but in short.  The swim was pretty good, i was surprised about the time since I swerved a bit and all the traffic.. 20min 1 sec (1:12 per something this is from the official race results).  Weird thing was during the long run to T1 both my legs completely cramped, this was unusual since i had such a long time period off.  As soon as my legs cramped I knew I was in trouble for the run and possibly the bike.  T1 took me almost 8 min because i had the cramping issues and thus had trouble getting the wetsuit off.  The bike was surprisingly good as well.  I was cramping on the bike too but I tried to stretch as much as possible during the ride.  Lots of long climbs but lots of downhills too.  I avg 18.8 (computer said i was 19.5) and I know I could have done better if I didn't have the cramping issue.  There were some crashes too, the road ways were pretty narrow and a few sharp technical turns with so many bikers.  T2 was also long due to full leg cramps in both legs again..  I had problems putting on my shoes.  The run was brutal.  I knew this was going to be tough considering my leg injury and not running for awhile but the problems seemed to be related more to all the cramping going on.  I ran walked the whole thing and avg around 11min miles.  2:30min-3 min slower than I typically run on the same course.  Overall I had fun, I'm confused about the legs cramping after the swim because I hydrated well a few days before the race and I'm happy I hit my time mark, under 3 hrs (but barely).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » WittyCityGirl's Group - FULL =) Rss Feed  

of 23