BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-02-09 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2663567

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
RunRene - 2010-02-09 12:07 PM
ray6foot7 - 2010-02-08 7:23 PM
I ride aero bars on my road bike.  When I first started using them 24 years ago, the shifters were on the down tube.  Talk about repositioning to shift.  It was quite annoying.  Finally, in 1999, I went to bar end shifting.  Heavenly.  I don't find it inconvenient to shift while hill climbing, but I also have never known the "luxury" of shifters in my brake levers.  So, is my fondness of using bar end shifters for all courses a learned thing over the years or just ignorance of better equipment?  Either way, I LOVE bar end shifters.  I am not sure this answered your question.  Undecided

Just so I am clear here.  Your bar-end shifters are at the end of you handle bars like this:
http://www.click-stand.com/images/bar_end_shifters1.jpg
Not at the end of the aerobars?

The reason I ask is I currently have the shifters on the brake levers, but I do have the option to move them to the end of the aerobars.  I bought aerobars that allow this option.

My shifters are at the end of the aero bars.

2010-02-10 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
First, some background...then the question:

I have never been athletic. I have made my body to athletic things (participating in a 700 mile 7 day bike ride, lots of time at the gym, some weight lifting, skiing, etc), but have never trained for a specific even until I started training for triathlons last April. When training for my first tri, I just set up a very loose schedule of what I would do each day and didn't track anything (as you will notice from my logs), this continued through the Mainiac in Sept. After that - I did start tracking things in the logs and starting in late Oct, early Nov started following a specific training plan (with Jorge's Winter Cycling Challenge and the Winter Maintenance Plan thrown in for good measure).

About 2 months ago, I started to suffer from insomnia. I can fall asleep on a dime (it drives my husband crazy in that I am almost asleep "before" my head hits the pillow while he is tossing and turning for 20 minutes before he can fall asleep), but I can't stay asleep. I wake up between 1-2 hours after initially falling asleep and then every 30-60 minutes for the rest of the night - with the final waking about 4am.

I was talking with a friend about this yesterday and she said, "It sounds like overtraining syndrome." After some research on the internet - I don't think this can be me - I am not a professional athlete, I am not training in a single sport, etc...but I don't know. Could I be suffering from something related to this? Am I training too much? If I am - how do I slow down without losing fitness?

Thanks for your help and guidance.
2010-02-10 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2665054

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I've been reading the recovery chapter in Joe Friel's book the last few nights. It could be overtraining. It could be other things. Looking at your logs, you are doing a later workout - for you it could be too late, yes you are still able to fall asleep, but you aren't sleeping.

You may want to see if making your later workout a bit earlier helps, or reduce volume for a week and slowly work your volume up. Make one change at a time though, this way you can see if it helps you sleep through the night. If not, make one other change, and so on.

Also - are you drinking a lot ot water or eating before you go to bed? other things that can effect sleep later in the night.

just thoughts - I'll look back through some of my training books on the latter part of sleeping to see what else I can find.
2010-02-10 10:45 AM

User image

NH
Amazing timing for this question Jennifer.  I have suffered from this same problem for about 4 months.  As a point of reference - when my "coach" asked me for my limiters, I said sleep first.  I also fall asleep very quickly, but tend to wake up throughout the night.  I don't have to pee, so I don't think it's too much fluids.  I assumed this is part of getting old!

A few things I think are important to check (and I'm guilty of a few of these).  I'm leaving out some obvious ones we shouldn't need to worry about (like lack of exercise!):

1. Eating too close to bedtime.
2. Too much caffeine.  I know it is said caffeine metabolizes completely in 8 hours, but I still don't buy that morning caffeine won't affect sleep.
3. Exercise late in the day.
4. Bed is used for something other than sleep and sex.  If you have to read, only light pleasure books.
5. Stress.  Can't always do much about the stress event, but only how we deal with it.

I'm about to undertake a serious effort to improve my sleep, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.  I abuse number 1,2, and 3.
2010-02-10 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Sleeplessness must suck, but I'm not sure I can help much with the nighttime waking problem since I sleep pretty well barring kids coming into the bed in the middle of the night.

I did, however, want to comment on the list. I abuse most of those regularly with the exception of caffeine. I frequently work out between 9 and 11:30 pm and I then decompress a bit watching something mindless on tv while trying to replace some of the calories I just burnt by eating something healthy (fruit, yogurt, granola, whatever). I work from home often so at times use the bed for other than sleep, reading or working on the computer. I do think I have a significant amount of stress too...won't bore you with details, of course, normal stuff.

I'm not trying to debate Warren on the list...but since I'm guilty of most, maybe just give a pointer to start with caffeine? I don't know...just a thought.

I'm not familiar with over-training syndrome...can you tell what is waking you? Noises around the house? ...discomfort with the bed? ...some sort of apnea? I would guess that each of those would have their own remedy ranging from maybe playing white noise to doctor's assistance.
2010-02-10 11:39 AM

User image

NH
No problem with debate Bob, I can't argue with anyone who has run a half under 1:40!

I'm only suggesting things on the list be looked at if someone has a sleeping problem.  If you're sleeping great, don't change anything.  It's like training in general - if it's working for you, don't change a thing.  And feel blessed that you're in that group.

On another note - I did some strides last night, just 30 seconds at a time, at a 6:00/mile pace.  That pace felt nearly all out after a 4 mile warmup, but I couldn't help thinking the elites run almost that fast for the whole marathon of an IM!  Oh my mutant genetic freak.

2010-02-10 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2662777

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-09 7:42 AM
fire eagle - 2010-02-08 10:27 PM
great job and a pr!  I have a few 5k races this year, wondering if you warmed up?  I have read that for shorter races (like 5k), you need to run around for a mile or so before you race.   Any thoughts?

I would definitely warm up with a good paced run.  You don't have time to get loose and a 5k is pretty intense from the start.

Yeah I would jog for 20-30min and with 30s efforts just a bit faster than your goal pace.

Edited by aarondavidson 2010-02-10 12:55 PM
2010-02-10 12:59 PM
in reply to: #2663280

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-09 11:26 AM
ray6foot7 - 2010-02-09 10:23 AM

I ride aero bars on my road bike.  When I first started using them 24 years ago, the shifters were on the down tube.  Talk about repositioning to shift.  It was quite annoying.  Finally, in 1999, I went to bar end shifting.  Heavenly.  I don't find it inconvenient to shift while hill climbing, but I also have never known the "luxury" of shifters in my brake levers.  So, is my fondness of using bar end shifters for all courses a learned thing over the years or just ignorance of better equipment?  Either way, I LOVE bar end shifters.  I am not sure this answered your question.  Undecided

I think you answered it.  I guess I have to bite the bullet and either move the shifters and do aero all the time (or as much as possible), or leave the shifters where they are and live with repositioning to shift.  I'll have to make the call as I ride outside again once the snow and ice go away.  I can't wait until someone unloads a pile of money in my driveway and I can justify a tri bike!

in 98% of the cases riding aero ALWAYS outweighs riding in a road position. The other 2% is when you are climbing and only climbing a very steep hill/mountain. Otherwise aero trumps weight.

2010-02-10 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2665054

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-02-10 7:52 AM First, some background...then the question:

I have never been athletic. I have made my body to athletic things (participating in a 700 mile 7 day bike ride, lots of time at the gym, some weight lifting, skiing, etc), but have never trained for a specific even until I started training for triathlons last April. When training for my first tri, I just set up a very loose schedule of what I would do each day and didn't track anything (as you will notice from my logs), this continued through the Mainiac in Sept. After that - I did start tracking things in the logs and starting in late Oct, early Nov started following a specific training plan (with Jorge's Winter Cycling Challenge and the Winter Maintenance Plan thrown in for good measure).

About 2 months ago, I started to suffer from insomnia. I can fall asleep on a dime (it drives my husband crazy in that I am almost asleep "before" my head hits the pillow while he is tossing and turning for 20 minutes before he can fall asleep), but I can't stay asleep. I wake up between 1-2 hours after initially falling asleep and then every 30-60 minutes for the rest of the night - with the final waking about 4am.

I was talking with a friend about this yesterday and she said, "It sounds like overtraining syndrome." After some research on the internet - I don't think this can be me - I am not a professional athlete, I am not training in a single sport, etc...but I don't know. Could I be suffering from something related to this? Am I training too much? If I am - how do I slow down without losing fitness?

Thanks for your help and guidance.

It could be over training. Maybe back off a bit while on vacation and see what happens. Any new stresses or anything change recently? Even if you do not think something is bothering you, it could be that it is bothering you. Late workouts do not bother me, but they do bother some people. Gets the metabolism and everything back in high gear, even when you are exhausted sometimes your body will wake back up because it finds it hard to settle down.

2010-02-10 1:04 PM
in reply to: #2665682

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-10 11:45 AM Amazing timing for this question Jennifer.  I have suffered from this same problem for about 4 months.  As a point of reference - when my "coach" asked me for my limiters, I said sleep first.  I also fall asleep very quickly, but tend to wake up throughout the night.  I don't have to pee, so I don't think it's too much fluids.  I assumed this is part of getting old!

A few things I think are important to check (and I'm guilty of a few of these).  I'm leaving out some obvious ones we shouldn't need to worry about (like lack of exercise!):

1. Eating too close to bedtime.
2. Too much caffeine.  I know it is said caffeine metabolizes completely in 8 hours, but I still don't buy that morning caffeine won't affect sleep.
3. Exercise late in the day.
4. Bed is used for something other than sleep and sex.  If you have to read, only light pleasure books.
5. Stress.  Can't always do much about the stress event, but only how we deal with it.

I'm about to undertake a serious effort to improve my sleep, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.  I abuse number 1,2, and 3.

I limit do not take caffeine after 7pm, regardless of the workout I have planned for that night. Even if it will help me get a better workout in, I do not take it simply because I know that I will be up 'all night.'

2010-02-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2665828

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-02-10 12:39 PM No problem with debate Bob, I can't argue with anyone who has run a half under 1:40!

I'm only suggesting things on the list be looked at if someone has a sleeping problem.  If you're sleeping great, don't change anything.  It's like training in general - if it's working for you, don't change a thing.  And feel blessed that you're in that group.

On another note - I did some strides last night, just 30 seconds at a time, at a 6:00/mile pace.  That pace felt nearly all out after a 4 mile warmup, but I couldn't help thinking the elites run almost that fast for the whole marathon of an IM!  Oh my mutant genetic freak.

Everyone is unique. Caffeine, workouts all effect everyone different, the list is good and provides some good pointers on things to look at.

Nice work on those intervals.

2010-02-10 3:45 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Thanks to all for the feedback. I have thought about a few of the items on Warren's list...I drink one cup of green tea in the morning and no more caffeine for the rest of the day. I try not to eat/drink anything after dinner - unless I have a workout - then I try to stop drinking/working out 2 hours before bed. I recently started doing more workouts at night (due to schedule changes) - but that was within the last couple of weeks, so I can't attribute all of my insomnia to that. As for what wakes me? I live in the boonies - it is wickedly quiet here. It's a newer house, so minimal creaking/house noise. Sometimes it is my husband snoring (;-)), but if I give him a nudge, he'll roll over and stop. Sometimes it is a kid with a bad dream (about 1/week).

I talked with someone about the change in my training schedule - I started Jorge's plan a few weeks before the insomnia set in, and stopped taking a complete day of rest (Jorge advocates an "active" rest day). Maybe my body needs a complete day of rest in order to recover. I have finished his plan, so I will ramp down a bit on cycling for the next couple of months. I'm seriously considering putting the majority of my focus on running (with a couple of bikes and a couple of swims a week) until the Half Marathon at the beginning of May. I shouldn't lose too much sport-specific fitness with that approach - right?

So - the upshot of this long ramble is that I'm going to ease back while in Florida (if I can swim or bike, great...but I won't stress about it), destress while on vacation (I hope!) and see if that helps. I think the main thing I need to remember is that everyone is different, and what may work well for one person may not work as well for the next. Thank you again for all the thoughtful feedback. I really do appreciate it!
2010-02-10 4:56 PM

User image

NH
That sounds like a great plan Jennifer.  You've really worked hard the last few months, so taking it easy is a good prize.  I bet your taking it easy will still be pretty intense though!  I think if you keep the intensity up, you can back off and not lose much at all.  There will be plenty of time to get the long stuff back into your plan.
2010-02-10 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I agree that sounds like a good plan. I'm always amazed at the volume you are doing so I'm sure whatever you do, you'll be fine. Have a restful vacation.
2010-02-10 6:08 PM

User image

NH
Aaron, that swim site you sent is unbelievable.  Great info.

I'm also using Mr. Smooth to compare against my video and it's perfect.  I highly recommend it.  I use my son and an Olympus camera to take underwater video (not great quality but good enough) and you can get Mr. Smooth to the same places in your stroke and compare positions and fluidity and be a pretty good self coach.
2010-02-11 2:06 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Page two? I hate it when the thread is on page two.

Had a great run outside today - it is beautiful, clear, sunny and dry here. It is so nice to get outside in the middle of February.

I'm having some issues with the HRM on my Garmin 305 (it said my ave HR was 65 - which I know isn't true). I am pretty good about moistening the sensors before I start. Is it possible that the battery is dead (I've only had the unit since the beginning of Dec) already? On the Garmin website, they suggested wearing the sensor on your back...has anyone had any experience with this? Advice always welcomed...

Have a great day!

2010-02-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2666771

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
wbayek - 2010-02-10 7:08 AM
I'm also using Mr. Smooth to compare against my video and it's perfect.  I highly recommend it.  I use my son and an Olympus camera to take underwater video (not great quality but good enough) and you can get Mr. Smooth to the same places in your stroke and compare positions and fluidity and be a pretty good self coach.

That is SO cool! Now, if I could just figure out how to get around the no cameras rule at the pool.

And I agree - the Mr. Smooth stuff is really useful. I immediately tried the breathing stuff (breathe in the air pocket instead of rotating your head all the way out of the water)...good stuff.
2010-02-11 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2668381

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-02-11 12:11 AM

That is SO cool! Now, if I could just figure out how to get around the no cameras rule at the pool.

And I agree - the Mr. Smooth stuff is really useful. I immediately tried the breathing stuff (breathe in the air pocket instead of rotating your head all the way out of the water)...good stuff.

I agree that Mr. Smooth site is AWESOME!  I have used it before and always check on it to remember how a swim stroke and side breathing should look.

Jennifer, my 305 works well with the HRM.  I usually wet the side of the strap that goes over my heart at the beginning, maybe it needs to be snugger for you?  I have to say, some people just have a lower heart rates.   Maybe you're one of those people.    Also, I hope you get to sleeping better.  You can do a search on google for insomnia and there are lots of things that might help with sleeping, like drinking milk in the evening, not watching TV etc.

2010-02-11 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
Jennifer,

I haven't had any issues with the HRM strap (knock on wood). like Rene said, I wet it prior to putting it on so the contact is better. you could try that. also, tightening it and making sure it's in place and isn't moving while wearing. Sometimes mine will start to slide down a bit.

glad to see you got outside today!
2010-02-11 9:13 PM
in reply to: #2668376

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-02-11 3:06 PM Page two? I hate it when the thread is on page two.

Had a great run outside today - it is beautiful, clear, sunny and dry here. It is so nice to get outside in the middle of February.

I'm having some issues with the HRM on my Garmin 305 (it said my ave HR was 65 - which I know isn't true). I am pretty good about moistening the sensors before I start. Is it possible that the battery is dead (I've only had the unit since the beginning of Dec) already? On the Garmin website, they suggested wearing the sensor on your back...has anyone had any experience with this? Advice always welcomed...

Have a great day!

Hopefully just a fluke. How does the HR graph look? jump around like normal or die off? could be time to replace the battery.

2010-02-11 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2668381

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-02-11 3:11 PM

My old masters program owns an underwater video camera. Never got around to using it. Need to check it out.

2010-02-11 9:16 PM

User image

NH
I had some issue with heart rate strap and tried two things:
1. Made the strap tighter.
2. Bought this stuff:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZD2NU/ref=oss_product

Haven't had an issue since.
2010-02-12 1:32 AM
in reply to: #2669076

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I haven't had much issue with the hrm strap. I wet it after I put it on and it seems to work fine. I did, however, once look down at the watch portion while swimming and I swear it said (some number of minutes):63 seconds. It was just a glance at the end of a lap and by the time I realized what it showed and looked back down it was over into the next minute. Time for a new pair of eyes ;-)
2010-02-12 7:38 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
After reading up on-line and listening to what you all are saying for the HRM, I'm going to tighten the strap (it tends to shift around quite a bit...but if it's too tight, I've been getting significant chafing). I re-synched the HRM to the Garmin, I'm not going to wear my iPod on the same side as the Garmin and if all of that doesn't work (including wetting the sensors) - I'll try a new battery.

Thanks (as always) for the recommendations. I'll be off-line for a bit - have a great week and show me some great numbers when I get back!
2010-02-12 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2666493

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-02-10 4:45 PM Thanks to all for the feedback. I have thought about a few of the items on Warren's list...I drink one cup of green tea in the morning and no more caffeine for the rest of the day. I try not to eat/drink anything after dinner - unless I have a workout - then I try to stop drinking/working out 2 hours before bed. I recently started doing more workouts at night (due to schedule changes) - but that was within the last couple of weeks, so I can't attribute all of my insomnia to that. As for what wakes me? I live in the boonies - it is wickedly quiet here. It's a newer house, so minimal creaking/house noise. Sometimes it is my husband snoring (;-)), but if I give him a nudge, he'll roll over and stop. Sometimes it is a kid with a bad dream (about 1/week).

I talked with someone about the change in my training schedule - I started Jorge's plan a few weeks before the insomnia set in, and stopped taking a complete day of rest (Jorge advocates an "active" rest day). Maybe my body needs a complete day of rest in order to recover. I have finished his plan, so I will ramp down a bit on cycling for the next couple of months. I'm seriously considering putting the majority of my focus on running (with a couple of bikes and a couple of swims a week) until the Half Marathon at the beginning of May. I shouldn't lose too much sport-specific fitness with that approach - right?

So - the upshot of this long ramble is that I'm going to ease back while in Florida (if I can swim or bike, great...but I won't stress about it), destress while on vacation (I hope!) and see if that helps. I think the main thing I need to remember is that everyone is different, and what may work well for one person may not work as well for the next. Thank you again for all the thoughtful feedback. I really do appreciate it!

I am a light sleeper and tend to wake up several times during the night.  It hasn't always been that way, just the past few years.  I also noticed that I was dead tired in the early afternoon.  I went for a sleep study and it was determined that I have sleep apnea and I was actually waking up hundreds of times during the night.  It might be something you want to talk to your doctor about.

On the "non-clinical" side, if I exercise in the evening... like anytime after 7pm, I find that I get a very poor night's sleep.  I think has a hard time "shutting down" after a workout.  Similar to you, Jennifer, I would fall asleep very quickly, but then toss and turn and never get into a real DEEP sleep.  That's why I'm a morning and lunchtime exerciser.  If I miss one of those workouts, I won't even try to squeeze it in at night, because I know my sleep will be ruined.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76