BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2010-02-06 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2556282

Subject: RE: Ken D's Group - Shut
I am happy to say I was able to meet my goals for the week. I also found out that I, in fact, swam 1000 yards in the pool and not the 500 I thought. So I am really on target or ahead. I am feeling a little obsessed with this right now but in a good way. Perhaps driven is a better word. I did take Thursday and Friday off. Thursday I went to a local triathlon kickoff information event. People there were the competitive kind. Talking about Ironman events like they were talking about a stroll to the mailbox! I just want to attend triathlons for my own personal goals. I would probably burn out if I wanted to do it for other reasons. Oh and even better news, I am starting to see changes in my body and my weight is beginning to come down! I love this group!!!! It realy givesme a place where I have to be accountable. If I write it here I will do it, that is for sure.

2010-02-06 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2658779

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
wisprunner - 2010-02-06 1:48 PM I am happy to say I was able to meet my goals for the week. I also found out that I, in fact, swam 1000 yards in the pool and not the 500 I thought. So I am really on target or ahead. I am feeling a little obsessed with this right now but in a good way. Perhaps driven is a better word. I did take Thursday and Friday off. Thursday I went to a local triathlon kickoff information event. People there were the competitive kind. Talking about Ironman events like they were talking about a stroll to the mailbox! I just want to attend triathlons for my own personal goals. I would probably burn out if I wanted to do it for other reasons. Oh and even better news, I am starting to see changes in my body and my weight is beginning to come down! I love this group!!!! It realy givesme a place where I have to be accountable. If I write it here I will do it, that is for sure.

Awesome on the weight and body changes!  Accountability is part of what we are about.

I've been to a couple of a couple of kickoff info events.  One was real laid back, we got to listen to Dave Scott (real down to earth kind of guy).  The other event, there seemed to be more intense people there.

Some people (my wife) call it obsessed.  I like to call it dedicated, focused or goal-oriented.
2010-02-06 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2658779

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
wisprunner - 2010-02-06 11:48 AM I am happy to say I was able to meet my goals for the week. I also found out that I, in fact, swam 1000 yards in the pool and not the 500 I thought. So I am really on target or ahead. I am feeling a little obsessed with this right now but in a good way. Perhaps driven is a better word. I did take Thursday and Friday off. Thursday I went to a local triathlon kickoff information event. People there were the competitive kind. Talking about Ironman events like they were talking about a stroll to the mailbox! I just want to attend triathlons for my own personal goals. I would probably burn out if I wanted to do it for other reasons. Oh and even better news, I am starting to see changes in my body and my weight is beginning to come down! I love this group!!!! It realy givesme a place where I have to be accountable. If I write it here I will do it, that is for sure.

Way to go on meeting all your goals, and the reward of seeing changes in your weight and shape, making the effort and hard work all worthwhile!!! 
2010-02-08 7:23 AM

How many sprint tri's are reasonable to do? I am not competitive just like to accomplish. I have 1 the end of May and the next weekend a canoe-run-bike. I don't feel like this is too much especially since I have been training. I would even like to do one the weekend before but am afraid it is too much. If I don't go full blast, how much is too much?

Shauna
2010-02-08 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2660709

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
wisprunner - 2010-02-08 7:23 AM How many sprint tri's are reasonable to do? I am not competitive just like to accomplish. I have 1 the end of May and the next weekend a canoe-run-bike. I don't feel like this is too much especially since I have been training. I would even like to do one the weekend before but am afraid it is too much. If I don't go full blast, how much is too much?

Shauna

I've known one local guy that was doing one sprint every weekend during the summer.

It all depends on how you view the tris.  Say you sign up for 3 tri's in a row.  Designate one your "A" race.  This is the race that you "bring it" and go all out.  The other two are done for their training value.  Working on transitions, open water swim practice, race day logistics, etc.  You may not go all out on those days.

My 1st year I did 3 tri's total.  2 sprints and 1 Oly.  The Oly was my "A" race.  The 1st sprint was to experience tri's 1st hand.  The 2nd was to experience open water swims.
2010-02-08 7:33 AM

That is a good way to look at it as a way to get experience. I really just don't feel I will go all out as I really don't want to feel competitive. Right now this is just for my personal accomplishment. I feel if I keep it that way, it will stay fun otherwise, it may seem like work.

2010-02-08 3:08 PM
in reply to: #2660729

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
wisprunner - 2010-02-08 8:33 AM That is a good way to look at it as a way to get experience. I really just don't feel I will go all out as I really don't want to feel competitive. Right now this is just for my personal accomplishment. I feel if I keep it that way, it will stay fun otherwise, it may seem like work.

I wonder the same kind of thing.  For me, this is for personal accomplishment...an ultimate goal and target for my weight loss and body transformation. Competition, not so much....at least in the beginning.

But, if *I know me* and things keep going as they are, and I keep having a blast, and keep seeing the awesome results, I will turn this thing into something more competetive.  Each day I do this, the competetive fire burns a bit hotter.  I'm starting to remember how it feels to be connected to my body and starting to feel like I might be able to actually make a run at something with this.  I'd forgotten what it felt like to actually have the ability to be competetive because I'd been so heavy and lethargic all these years. 

I'm going to take this wherever it leads me.  Especially if it leads to a sustainable healthy lifestyle.  If competition becomes a part of it, so be it!  Look out Clydedale Division!!!

2010-02-09 8:03 AM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
How are things going this week?

For me, I've corrected one of my major swim flaws and now it's time to move to the next.  I try to only work on one swim flaw at a time.  I've found if I'm thinking too much while swimming, things go to crap in a hurry.

Moving on to body position in the water.
2010-02-09 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2662902

User image

Expert
South Jersey
KenD - 2010-02-09 8:03 AM How are things going this week?

For me, I've corrected one of my major swim flaws and now it's time to move to the next.  I try to only work on one swim flaw at a time.  I've found if I'm thinking too much while swimming, things go to crap in a hurry.

Nice job Ken!!

Well...we had 28 inches of snow dumped on us over the weekend and expecting another 2 feet tonight and tomorrow.  This winter is terrible.  At this rate, I am looking at treadmill runs and trainer rides through April!!  I got up and ran this morning.  Not sure about tomorrow.  All depends on where I am snowed in at.  Looks like I may be spending the night at my parents house so I can get to work tomorrow morning.  My dad/boss is on crack!!!  If that is the case, I will be stuck there tomorrow night too.  I am hoping he comes to his senses and tells me to stay at home tonight and not worry about work tomorrow.  Then I can at least get in some kind of workout during naptime.  Oh wait...I will be shoveling 2 feet of snow at naptime!!
2010-02-09 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Good to hear Ken!  Just out of curiosity, what was the flaw you fixed and how did you fix it?  Maybe we can learn something from it. 

And my nephew is headed home today.  Had one heck of a busy but fun weekend with him.  I am ready to get back to normal and make up for my missed workouts.  Gonna treadmill run today, trainer ride tomorrow, possibly another run on Thur, then finish up with a run/bike brick at the gym on Fri.  Hope to have my weight creep below 210 by the end of the week!

KenD - 2010-02-09 8:03 AM How are things going this week?

2010-02-09 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2663215

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
chichitao - 2010-02-09 9:59 AM Good to hear Ken!  Just out of curiosity, what was the flaw you fixed and how did you fix it?  Maybe we can learn something from it. 

Flaw - no front quadrant swimming mostly due to balance.  How I fixed it - one arm drills and side kicking drills to improve balance.  Then focus on not letting my catch hand begin the catch until my recovery hand had re-entered the water.  That forced me to improve balance.  That's the only thing I've been concentrating on during swim for the last 2-3 weeks, but the last week I didn't have to think "recover, pause, catch".  It was happening without thinking - even during my 30 min time trial.  Of course, I will still revisit every once in a while to ensure I'm not slipping.  But it is definitely feeling smoother and more effecient.

2010-02-09 1:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
KenD - 2010-02-09 6:03 AM How are things going this week?

Swimming has so much going on, focusing on one flaw at a time is a really good idea.  I should probably do the same, I just don't know where to start.  I guess just pick one thing.

So far the week is good for me, had my first bootcamp class of the set last night, no new people so even though I didn't start right back at where we left off at the end of the last set, the first night was definately more difficult than they are used to after a week off.

Tonight I have a 5KM run, and I"m going to try and follow some advice and not eat any dairy and keep fiber really light after 2 pm today.  Hoping that it keeps my stomach issues at bay and I am able to run at race pace.  I'm also thinking about hitting the pool when my husband goes tonight at 9pm, and I'm afraid I will once again come up with all the excuses not too...legs are too tired from my run....I need a chance to sit back and relax...blah, blah, blah....so here I am again, stating that tonight I WILL swim...the IT needs to be BRUNG!

2010-02-09 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2663727

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Wow, swimming at 9pm...that is bringing it! 

I am usually in bed by 930!!  I know I am such an old man.

corstan - 2010-02-09 1:07 PM

Tonight I have a 5KM run, and I"m going to try and follow some advice and not eat any dairy and keep fiber really light after 2 pm today.  Hoping that it keeps my stomach issues at bay and I am able to run at race pace.  I'm also thinking about hitting the pool when my husband goes tonight at 9pm, and I'm afraid I will once again come up with all the excuses not too...legs are too tired from my run....I need a chance to sit back and relax...blah, blah, blah....so here I am again, stating that tonight I WILL swim...the IT needs to be BRUNG!

2010-02-10 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2664087

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Do you have a hydration "system" for your bike?  How about for your run?  How much water do you take in?  How did you determine this amount of water?

I grew up in Texas - 100 degree summers.  Hydration is always a priority here.

For my bike, I have a Profile Design aero-bottle between my aero bars and a water bottle on the down tube.  Sometimes use CamelBak if it's a ride >2hrs.  Run - CamelBak for long runs, waist belt with bottle holder for short long runs.  I target 1 20oz bottle/hr.  I perform a sweat rate calculation (dry weight before - dry weight after / time).
2010-02-10 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2665184

User image

Expert
South Jersey
KenD - 2010-02-10 8:05 AM Do you have a hydration "system" for your bike?  How about for your run?  How much water do you take in?  How did you determine this amount of water?

For my bike, I have a Profile Design aero-bottle between my aero bars and a water bottle on the down tube.  Sometimes use CamelBak if it's a ride >2hrs.  Run - CamelBak for long runs, waist belt with bottle holder for short long runs.  I target 1 20oz bottle/hr.  I perform a sweat rate calculation (dry weight before - dry weight after / time).
  Curious to see what everyone has to say.  I have not done long enough runs or rides last year outside to worry about this.
2010-02-10 11:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
KenD - 2010-02-10 6:05 AM Do you have a hydration "system" for your bike?  How about for your run?  How much water do you take in?  How did you determine this amount of water?

my water "system" right now consists of a camelback water bottle(not the backpack), usually filled with half water/half gatorade.  When I get some aero bars, I have a profile bottle that I will use.  I usually take in water as I feel the need, and my 1 bottle will usually get me through a 40k ride. 

2010-02-10 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Ditto the Texas heat.  I don't have anything set up for my new bike yet, but would like to get an aero bottle and one bottle on down tube like you.  My road bike has two bottle cages.  On short rides (under 20mi) I only use one bottle, but on longer ones I do two (one water and one gatorade).  I don't use anything on the runs, but I don't usually run any more than 1hr tops.  During my half marathon training I used to carry a small bottle and sip on some water (just enough to wet my dry throat), but don't usually take in too much as I get the sloshy stomach feeling and don't like that.  During a tri I do all my drinking (and a GU) on the first half of the bike.

As a side note, I actually like the heat and prefer to workout in it so I am pretty used to it and not needing a whole lot of hydration to survive. 

KenD - 2010-02-10 8:05 AM Do you have a hydration "system" for your bike?  How about for your run?  How much water do you take in?  How did you determine this amount of water?

Edited by chichitao 2010-02-10 12:59 PM
2010-02-10 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Quick question, Ken, about the aero bottle...do I have to find a specific one that will fit my bike or should they all pretty much fit?
2010-02-10 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2666120

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
chichitao - 2010-02-10 1:19 PM Quick question, Ken, about the aero bottle...do I have to find a specific one that will fit my bike or should they all pretty much fit?

They seem to be pretty universal.  There's a bracket if the distance between aerobars is too wide.
2010-02-10 1:57 PM

User image

Louisville, Kentucky
On hydration:

My bike touring experience tells me to bring all the water I can carry.  So my bike has 3 bottle cages (with 3 20oz SIGG bottles) AND a 100ml Camelbak backpack.  In the summer I'll drink the contents of the backpack every 15 or 20 miles at approx 15mph, loaded down with 50-100 pounds of gear.  Plus last time I toured I was 340 pounds. 

How did I come to that amount?  Bluntly put, I make sure I have to use the restroom every 20 miles.  I've found that 70-100ml just about did it.

Things will be different now with the weight loss.

That being said, I have no idea how I'm going to hydrate during a sprint triathlon.  I guess I'll carry one bottle on the bike or wear the camelbak.   No idea how I'll carry water on the run.  Will there be water available that I can grab as I run?  I guess I could just put the camelbak on at the beginning of the bike and wear it all the way to the end. 

I have so much to learn...so much to test out...I gotta find another tri before my target tri in August to work this stuff out on.

2010-02-10 2:18 PM
in reply to: #2666218

User image

Expert
South Jersey
bassandbike - 2010-02-10 1:57 PM On hydration:

My bike touring experience tells me to bring all the water I can carry.  So my bike has 3 bottle cages (with 3 20oz SIGG bottles) AND a 100ml Camelbak backpack.  In the summer I'll drink the contents of the backpack every 15 or 20 miles at approx 15mph, loaded down with 50-100 pounds of gear.  Plus last time I toured I was 340 pounds. 

How did I come to that amount?  Bluntly put, I make sure I have to use the restroom every 20 miles.  I've found that 70-100ml just about did it.

That being said, I have no idea how I'm going to hydrate during a sprint triathlon.  I guess I'll carry one bottle on the bike or wear the camelbak.   No idea how I'll carry water on the run.  Will there be water available that I can grab as I run?  I guess I could just put the camelbak on at the beginning of the bike and wear it all the way to the end. 

I have so much to learn...so much to test out...I gotta find another tri before my target tri in August to work this stuff out on.

You really should not need it on a sprint.  I grabbed a quick swig from my bottle in T1 but did not take anything with me on the bike.  I took another quick drink in T2 and that was it.  They did have a water station halfway through on the run but I did not grab a drink.

2010-02-10 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Yes, very important and good idea to do a race or two before your "A" race.  2yrs into it and I still learn something every race. 

For me, I prefer to get all my sprint tri hydration on the bike.  I usually only carry one bottle and don't even fill it all the way (just to save a little weight).  But most of my races have one water stop at the halfway point of the run.  I usually grab the water and pour it on my head! 

2010-02-10 2:26 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX

On sprints & olympics I only carry my aerodrink.  There are normally water stations on the run course.  That is something specific to each race.
2010-02-11 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Brought my workout clothes today.  Going to do a spin bike and treadmill brick at the gym today.
2010-02-11 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2667544

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2010-02-11 8:48 AM Brought my workout clothes today.  Going to do a spin bike and treadmill brick at the gym today.

Sounds like a good workout!  I am not sure what today will bring.  I am supposed to get together with my aunt this evening so I lose my normal Thursday night swim.  She is only here for a week or so and is heading to Boston tomorrow.  She is spending the winter in Florida.  Can't say no to her about tonight.  Depending on what time we go out, I may get a ride on the trainer in before or after.  I don't want to skip altogether.  Of course, a late night ride means no early morning workout tomorrow.  Can't do that quick of a turnaround.  We don't have plans so I can do tonight, tomorrow night, and Saturday night workouts. 

I tried to get up early this morning but John was outside shoveling and Joe was already stirring.  He ends up in our bed every morning and I knew he would not stay asleep if we were both up and moving already.

Edited by Mrschach 2010-02-11 9:27 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  

of 28