BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-07-05 10:43 PM
in reply to: #2941827

User image

Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
hockeyhands - 2010-06-24 2:34 PM
Great to hear from you Mark!!!  I thought we lost ya.

I'm very happy to hear you've been keeping up with your training and I hope everything with your shooting competitions have gone well.  Lol, yeah, there's a little difference between a mountain bike and a road bike, huh?  Don't worry, you'll be back on your road bike very soon I'm sure.

I'm very sorry to hear about the death in the family.  I hope you and your family are coping with it as well as possible.

Thanks for posting Mark.  I know you're going to be great in your first tri and I look forward to calling you an triathlete Smile

Nope, not lost; just mis-placed for a few weeks.  Actually, I'm really bad about forums, emails, etc.

Family is doing well; thanks for the thoughts.

So, a few thoughts on my first OWS with the wetsuit.
- Swimming with the suit was AWESOME....  It was so much easier than I expected.  I wasn't really any faster, but I didn't get nearly as tired as I do in the pool.
- Visibility: yeah, not so much.  About the only thing I could see was my hands coming in from above.  I grew up swimming in this lake though, so it didn't freak me out.  Goggles kept fogging up and this was unsat.  I've tried the commercial (Aquasphere) de-fogging stuff and good 'ole saliva to no avail.  Although I really like the goggles (Aquasphere kaymans or something), they fog up really bad and I've not found a solution yet.  If anyone has any solutions, please let me know.
- Garmin 305 under the swim cap.  Ruled, but doesn't work when you're doing the backstroke (no GPS signal from the bottom of the lake, I guess).    HRM didn't work through the suit in the water (worked through the suit on-land though).  Garmin said it was 854 y at about a 3m/100 pace and that sounds about right.  This included a few stops in failed attempts to de-fog goggles.
- Breathing: wasn't a problem as the lake was pretty calm.  I breath much much more comfortably on the left and this became a challenge on the way back in.  Every time I'd roll to breath, I was looking right at the sun.  So, I had to switch sides.  I guess I need to learn to bi-lateral breath better anyway, so I've started working more on that in the pool too.  A few months ago, I was more worried about even being able to swim at all; so I guess this is progress.
- Sight-breathing: still haven't figured out a smooth way to do this and have since started working on it in the pool.  Suggestions appreciated.
- Boats: I was worried about getting creamed by some knucklehead in a bass boat, but Dad was there and it was a really quiet day on the lake.  I stayed close to shore, wore a bright swim cap, and was basically crossing a large cove (so, minimal traffic anyway).  However, the one boat that did go screaming by was pretty loud in the water; so I looked up to spot it and it was several hundred yards (maybe 4-500y) away.  A reminder that sound travels much much better in water.

Guess that's about it.  Everything went well and I was pleased with the day.  It was a hot day and it was hotter in the suit, but well worth the effort.  Other than that, training has been going reasonably well.  Still not fast, but I know I can complete the distance and, for now, that's what I'm after.

One thing that I have been wondering about it for longer races (like my Olympic in Sep), what kinds of things should I be thinking about for nutrition pre/during/post race?

Take Care,
Mark

2010-07-05 10:55 PM
in reply to: #2959634

User image

hockeyhands - 2010-07-03 12:10 PM Hi again everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that your mentor is now a certified USAT coach!  I got my certificate in the mail today and I'm pretty happy to be certified.

Have a great weekend!

Congrats Colin!  I know it's a big deal with USA Shooting and I'm sure it's probably similar with USAT.

I've practiced a few transitions (and done a few bricks) with bike to run, but short of setting up the bike on a trainer at the pool (or leaving it outside with my kids guarding it), I can't really think of a good way to practice the swim/bike transition.  Thoughts?

Take Care,
Mark
2010-07-06 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2959634

User image

Veteran
Congratulations, Colin!  That is great news.
2010-07-06 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2776638

Orlando, FL
I'm back!!!

I've enjoyed reading up on everything thing that everyone has been doing. Congrats to all the new triathletes and also to Colin for your certification!

I just got cleared from my doctor for full on exercise, so I'm really excited to get back in full swing. He wanted to take a really conservative approach in my recovery, and so that's why we waited so long to resume my normal workouts.

I did buy an indoor trainer, and I know have a new found respect for everyone who lives up north; I have no idea how you pedal indoors all winter, its so BORING.

Anyhow, I've gotten some good runs in and a few bike rides the past week, I'll get them updated on BT,  and I may be able to catch a late season tri here in Orlando, depending on when I move.

And one last thing, I have a technical question about my bike. Lots of time if I'm exerting a lot of force on the crank, the rear derailleur will pop up a gear. Does anyone know what I need to adjust to keep this from happening?
2010-07-06 10:25 PM
in reply to: #2964794

User image

Expert
MI
drew2219 - 2010-07-06 10:28 PM I'm back!!!

I've enjoyed reading up on everything thing that everyone has been doing. Congrats to all the new triathletes and also to Colin for your certification!

I just got cleared from my doctor for full on exercise, so I'm really excited to get back in full swing. He wanted to take a really conservative approach in my recovery, and so that's why we waited so long to resume my normal workouts.

I did buy an indoor trainer, and I know have a new found respect for everyone who lives up north; I have no idea how you pedal indoors all winter, its so BORING.

Anyhow, I've gotten some good runs in and a few bike rides the past week, I'll get them updated on BT,  and I may be able to catch a late season tri here in Orlando, depending on when I move.

And one last thing, I have a technical question about my bike. Lots of time if I'm exerting a lot of force on the crank, the rear derailleur will pop up a gear. Does anyone know what I need to adjust to keep this from happening?

Great news! Welcome back!
2010-07-06 10:36 PM
in reply to: #2962355

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-07-05 10:07 PM

Great job Samantha!  That's great news.  However, I would be careful about running too much on it still.  I know you've altered your form to accommodate the injury, but its not good to do too much running with distorted form.  Have you done anything on the elliptical or stairmaster yet?  I'd like to know how that is.

Since I was getting outside and running, I opted not to use the elliptical or stairmaster last week... I do know what you mean about running with distorted form.... I do think about that pretty much every time I run (or even walk)... so for now, I am just hoping it will not cause any problems in the future....

I have a swimming question.  Today my swim workout called for using the pull buoy.  Using it, I just felt like I was going very slow.  Is there something specific I should be focusing on when I use the pull buoy?  (Do you think this is a useful "tool"/swim toy?  Should I substitute it with something else?)

Also that reminds me. This week I started using a training plan from trinewbies.com.  From reading people's comments on this site regarding the BT HIM program, it seemed like there were a ton of people who thought the plan was light, particularly on the bike, which I don't think is an area I want to skimp on.  And in looking at the trinewbies plan it seemed like it had a good amount of biking involved.  So, I think this will be the plan I'll follow from here on out: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_HIM.asp

2010-07-07 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2962464

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-07-05 11:43 PM
hockeyhands - 2010-06-24 2:34 PM
Great to hear from you Mark!!!  I thought we lost ya.

I'm very happy to hear you've been keeping up with your training and I hope everything with your shooting competitions have gone well.  Lol, yeah, there's a little difference between a mountain bike and a road bike, huh?  Don't worry, you'll be back on your road bike very soon I'm sure.

I'm very sorry to hear about the death in the family.  I hope you and your family are coping with it as well as possible.

Thanks for posting Mark.  I know you're going to be great in your first tri and I look forward to calling you an triathlete Smile

Nope, not lost; just mis-placed for a few weeks.  Actually, I'm really bad about forums, emails, etc.

Family is doing well; thanks for the thoughts.

So, a few thoughts on my first OWS with the wetsuit.
- Swimming with the suit was AWESOME....  It was so much easier than I expected.  I wasn't really any faster, but I didn't get nearly as tired as I do in the pool.
- Visibility: yeah, not so much.  About the only thing I could see was my hands coming in from above.  I grew up swimming in this lake though, so it didn't freak me out.  Goggles kept fogging up and this was unsat.  I've tried the commercial (Aquasphere) de-fogging stuff and good 'ole saliva to no avail.  Although I really like the goggles (Aquasphere kaymans or something), they fog up really bad and I've not found a solution yet.  If anyone has any solutions, please let me know.
- Garmin 305 under the swim cap.  Ruled, but doesn't work when you're doing the backstroke (no GPS signal from the bottom of the lake, I guess).    HRM didn't work through the suit in the water (worked through the suit on-land though).  Garmin said it was 854 y at about a 3m/100 pace and that sounds about right.  This included a few stops in failed attempts to de-fog goggles.
- Breathing: wasn't a problem as the lake was pretty calm.  I breath much much more comfortably on the left and this became a challenge on the way back in.  Every time I'd roll to breath, I was looking right at the sun.  So, I had to switch sides.  I guess I need to learn to bi-lateral breath better anyway, so I've started working more on that in the pool too.  A few months ago, I was more worried about even being able to swim at all; so I guess this is progress.
- Sight-breathing: still haven't figured out a smooth way to do this and have since started working on it in the pool.  Suggestions appreciated.
- Boats: I was worried about getting creamed by some knucklehead in a bass boat, but Dad was there and it was a really quiet day on the lake.  I stayed close to shore, wore a bright swim cap, and was basically crossing a large cove (so, minimal traffic anyway).  However, the one boat that did go screaming by was pretty loud in the water; so I looked up to spot it and it was several hundred yards (maybe 4-500y) away.  A reminder that sound travels much much better in water.

Guess that's about it.  Everything went well and I was pleased with the day.  It was a hot day and it was hotter in the suit, but well worth the effort.  Other than that, training has been going reasonably well.  Still not fast, but I know I can complete the distance and, for now, that's what I'm after.

One thing that I have been wondering about it for longer races (like my Olympic in Sep), what kinds of things should I be thinking about for nutrition pre/during/post race?

Take Care,
Mark

Hey Mark,

Sorry about the delay on the response.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the wetsuit!  It really does do wonders for triathletes, especially newer swimmers.

As far as the spotting/sighting goes, it just takes some practice.  Depending on the conditions, I usually sight every ten strokes or so in the open water.  Its really just a matter of sticking your head up and out of the water.  This video should help.  Please let me know if you have more questions about it.

As for the goggles fogging up, that is strange.  Unfortunately, you may need to get a new pair.  I actually bought 2 new pairs of the same goggles a few months ago (different lenses) and one pair doesn't fog up at all and the others do.  I'm pretty dumbfounded about this, but if you don't mind splurging, you may just want to try a new pair.

Unfortunately the Garmin HR monitor doesn't work in the water.  The new HR monitor for the 310 was supposed to work better, but it doesn't. 

For the boat issue, it is definitely an issue.  I like to try to swim in the morning so that there aren't many boats out and about.  However, I've been very nervous about this problem a few times myself.  Unfortunately I don't really have any great advice for you on this.  Just wear a bright swim cap and stay as close to the shore or away from the boats as possible.

Nutrition is whole different kind of animal and really depends on the individual.  However, I'd definitely recommend practicing your nutrition prior to race day.  As long as you do so, everything should go pretty well.  What are you doing for nutrition right now?
2010-07-07 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2964794

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
drew2219 - 2010-07-06 10:28 PM I'm back!!!

Hey Andrew,

Welcome back buddy!  Its great to hear from you and I'm psyched that your clear for training. 

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you on the bike issue as I've never seen that before.  What kind of components do you have on your bike?  I would recommend taking to your LBS for a look.  They should be able to help.  However, I guess it wouldn't hurt to try posting that question on the Triathlon Talk message board.  Some of the bikers may be able to help you out.

Looking forward to hearing back from you and hearing about you kicking some butt with your training!
2010-07-07 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2964895

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-07-06 11:36 PM

Since I was getting outside and running, I opted not to use the elliptical or stairmaster last week... I do know what you mean about running with distorted form.... I do think about that pretty much every time I run (or even walk)... so for now, I am just hoping it will not cause any problems in the future....

I have a swimming question.  Today my swim workout called for using the pull buoy.  Using it, I just felt like I was going very slow.  Is there something specific I should be focusing on when I use the pull buoy?  (Do you think this is a useful "tool"/swim toy?  Should I substitute it with something else?)

Also that reminds me. This week I started using a training plan from trinewbies.com.  From reading people's comments on this site regarding the BT HIM program, it seemed like there were a ton of people who thought the plan was light, particularly on the bike, which I don't think is an area I want to skimp on.  And in looking at the trinewbies plan it seemed like it had a good amount of biking involved.  So, I think this will be the plan I'll follow from here on out: http://www.trinewbies.com/tno_trainingprograms/tno_HIM.asp
<... />
Hey Samantha,

For your swim question, Yes, I do find the pull buoy to be an extremely useful toy, especially for new swimmers.  What this tool does is gives you extra buoyancy and allows you to focus on arms.  This can help you work on lengthening your stroke, form in general, as well as your pull.  I highly recommend you continue using this tool and I incorporate it into almost all of the workouts I write for my tri swim class. 

As for your new training plan.  It doesn't look too shabby.  The swimming is extremely low volume and I hope you intend to do more distance than they recommend, but the cycling and running look pretty good.  I agree that BT's plan is lite on the cycling and most of the plans are getting pretty out dated.  Are you planning to just jump into the new program?  That probably should be ok since you have a pretty good base at this point.
2010-07-07 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Colin
I've had a couple of friends ask me to do a sprint tri(.25swim/12 mile bike/3.4 mile run) on July the 18th. I'm considering doing it but I do have the Olympic tri in Chattanooga this weekend.. I did do well in the sprint following my first olympic tri and first tri ever so I guess it shouldn't be a problem..What are your thoughts??

By the way I rode 36:43 11.63 miles.. 19 mph avg then transition 53 seconds into a run of 16:51 1.91miles 8:49min/mile avg.
all after a 12 hour day at work today..

Tim(1)
2010-07-08 9:38 AM
in reply to: #2967299

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-07 10:10 PM Colin
I've had a couple of friends ask me to do a sprint tri(.25swim/12 mile bike/3.4 mile run) on July the 18th. I'm considering doing it but I do have the Olympic tri in Chattanooga this weekend.. I did do well in the sprint following my first olympic tri and first tri ever so I guess it shouldn't be a problem..What are your thoughts??

By the way I rode 36:43 11.63 miles.. 19 mph avg then transition 53 seconds into a run of 16:51 1.91miles 8:49min/mile avg.
all after a 12 hour day at work today..

Tim(1)

Hey Tim,

I don't see a problem with it.  I'm actually doing something similar the next for weeks.  This weekend, I'm doing an event called the lord of the flies.  It consists of a short bike time trial on Friday night, an Oly on Saturday, and a Sprint on Sunday.   The next weekend I am doing a Sprint on Sunday.  The key is to listen to your body the week in between.  You're probably going to want to take Monday off, possible Tuesday depending on how your body feels and go from there.  However, you don't want to taper too much for the sprint race as you need to keep your main goal of the HIM in mind.

2010-07-08 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2967242

User image

Expert
MI
Okay thanks Colin.  I'll keep in mind that it's a bit light on the swim. I've got the weeks of the BT HIM plan printed out, so maybe I'll look at that as a guide for my swim workouts.  Yes, I have jumped into the trinewbies plan, starting at week 9.

Actually..... for swimming, generally speaking how much distance per week do you recommend during HIM training?  (swimming how many times per week?)

Edited by michgirlsk 2010-07-08 12:15 PM
2010-07-09 7:50 AM
in reply to: #2968471

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-07-08 12:58 PM Okay thanks Colin.  I'll keep in mind that it's a bit light on the swim. I've got the weeks of the BT HIM plan printed out, so maybe I'll look at that as a guide for my swim workouts.  Yes, I have jumped into the trinewbies plan, starting at week 9.

Actually..... for swimming, generally speaking how much distance per week do you recommend during HIM training?  (swimming how many times per week?)

Great question Samantha.  It depends on your goals.  If you're just trying to "get through" the swim, you'll probably be fine swimming 2-3 times a week and doing about 4-5K yards per week.  However, I do not think a lot of people put enough stress on their swim.  Yes, it is short time wise in a relation to the bike and the run, but if you're not ready for the swim, you're body is going to be very tired heading into the bike and run.  I would recommend that you swim 3 times a week, doing about 2500 yards per swim.  However, if this can be broken down to have a shorter swim (1500-2K), medium swim (2K-2500) and a longer swim (3k+) per week depending on your schedule.  I would also recommend that one of these swims be an open water swim either once a week or once every other week.

How does that sound?
2010-07-09 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2970240

User image

Expert
MI
After my last tri, I can completely agree that I think the swim is important!  My goal for the swim during the race will be to swim comfortably throughout, and not feel like I'm winded at the end.  I'll keep those numbers in mind, thanks!
2010-07-11 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2970670

User image

Ok troops, it's legit; did my first race this morning.  Official times aren't up, but it was a 14.06 and I came in at just over an hour (1:10 or so).

Swim: It was a snake swim with someone leaving every 5 seconds.  It went by fast.  The line moves up, sit on the side of the pool, they tap you on the shoulder, and it's game on.  Went by much faster than I though.  Swim went ok.  Some folks started passing me about 150-200 yds in.  My goal with the swim was to finish and I did right at my expected time.

T1: Honestly, I don't remember much.  Which is good, I suppose.  Socks went on fine, shoes, run to the exit, clip in and go.

Bike: Hit the water bottle as soon as I got on the bike.  Overall it was decent, but not as fast as I'd like.  It was three loops of a pretty flat course with a few gentle climbs.  I passed a lot of folks, but the multiple turn-arounds (12 overall) killed momentum.  The engine on my bike needs some work; both in power and endurance.  Spotted my wife and kids screaming at one of the turn-arounds, so that was cool.

T2: Again, don't remember much about T2.  Dropped the bike off, threw the shoes on, hat, belt, and headed out of transition.

Run:  Actually ran about 30s/mile faster than normal; so, that was pretty cool.  However, I started getting some pain in my lower left leg and had to slow down a bit.  Don't know if I didn't get enough stretching in or what, but once it started it didn't get any worse, so I pressed on.  Saw some of the folks I started the swim with and everyone was yelling encouragement.  Very cool.  The finish was also cool.

My buddy (who's a whole lot faster swimmer and runner than I am) finished about 5 mins faster than I did and I made a bunch of new friends.  My wife checked the sheets and I was something like 143 out of around 300.  Other than finishing and racing with friends, the best thing was seeing the kids.  I had some little guy around me during the swim and had a little man (10 y/o) pass me about halfway through the run.  That was great.

That's it for now....

Take Care,
Mark

2010-07-11 6:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Alright guys just got home from Chattanooga had a great time and good race...I broke my first time unofficially time was 2:46 I will post a race report when I get all results..hope all is well for all..Tim(1)

2010-07-11 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2973936

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-11 7:51 PM Alright guys just got home from Chattanooga had a great time and good race...I broke my first time unofficially time was 2:46 I will post a race report when I get all results..hope all is well for all..Tim(1)

Congrats Tim, that's awesome!  Clearly your hard work is paying off!  I had a big weekend myself.  I got first place in my age group in both of my races and was the "Lord of the Flies" for my age group which was pretty cool.  Race reports hopefully coming tomorrow.

I hope everyone else had a great weekend as well!
2010-07-12 6:22 AM
in reply to: #2973865

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-07-11 6:51 PM Ok troops, it's legit; did my first race this morning.  Official times aren't up, but it was a 14.06 and I came in at just over an hour (1:10 or so).

Swim: It was a snake swim with someone leaving every 5 seconds.  It went by fast.  The line moves up, sit on the side of the pool, they tap you on the shoulder, and it's game on.  Went by much faster than I though.  Swim went ok.  Some folks started passing me about 150-200 yds in.  My goal with the swim was to finish and I did right at my expected time.

T1: Honestly, I don't remember much.  Which is good, I suppose.  Socks went on fine, shoes, run to the exit, clip in and go.

Bike: Hit the water bottle as soon as I got on the bike.  Overall it was decent, but not as fast as I'd like.  It was three loops of a pretty flat course with a few gentle climbs.  I passed a lot of folks, but the multiple turn-arounds (12 overall) killed momentum.  The engine on my bike needs some work; both in power and endurance.  Spotted my wife and kids screaming at one of the turn-arounds, so that was cool.

T2: Again, don't remember much about T2.  Dropped the bike off, threw the shoes on, hat, belt, and headed out of transition.

Run:  Actually ran about 30s/mile faster than normal; so, that was pretty cool.  However, I started getting some pain in my lower left leg and had to slow down a bit.  Don't know if I didn't get enough stretching in or what, but once it started it didn't get any worse, so I pressed on.  Saw some of the folks I started the swim with and everyone was yelling encouragement.  Very cool.  The finish was also cool.

My buddy (who's a whole lot faster swimmer and runner than I am) finished about 5 mins faster than I did and I made a bunch of new friends.  My wife checked the sheets and I was something like 143 out of around 300.  Other than finishing and racing with friends, the best thing was seeing the kids.  I had some little guy around me during the swim and had a little man (10 y/o) pass me about halfway through the run.  That was great.

That's it for now....

Take Care,
Mark

Congratulations triathlete!!!  It sounds like you did terrific!  Its quite a feeling crossing that finish line huh?  It although it probably wasn't the most exciting day for the family, it sure is great to see them during the race.  You gave a pretty good recap right here, but I'd recommend writing a race report when you have a chance.  It will really help you evaluate your race and will be really fun to look at later on down the road.

Well congrats once again Mark.  I had a feeling you were gonna do great!
2010-07-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2973865

User image

Expert
MI
Congrats Mark!
2010-07-13 4:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi all,
It sounds like everyone is doing so well with their training/races.  I, on the otherhand, am having a heck of a time getting in all my workouts.  With dance rehearsals increasing in frequency and intensity, I just don't have much physical ability left in me! 

With that in mind, I've switched my tri goals from meeting specific times to just finishing the thing!  I feel like this is a bit of a cop-out or let-down, but I don't know what else to do.  I don't want to give up completely since I am really enjoying the training.  I've gotten a few brick workouts in (mostly cycling to running) and its pretty fun. 

Sarah
2010-07-13 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2978648

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-07-13 5:14 PM Hi all,
It sounds like everyone is doing so well with their training/races.  I, on the otherhand, am having a heck of a time getting in all my workouts.  With dance rehearsals increasing in frequency and intensity, I just don't have much physical ability left in me! 

With that in mind, I've switched my tri goals from meeting specific times to just finishing the thing!  I feel like this is a bit of a cop-out or let-down, but I don't know what else to do.  I don't want to give up completely since I am really enjoying the training.  I've gotten a few brick workouts in (mostly cycling to running) and its pretty fun. 

Sarah

Hey Sarah,

That is a very smart decision and you're doing the right thing.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like seeing you reduce the amount of training you're doing, but you don't want to get injured or burnt out.  Hopefully you can pick it back up after the your dance recital.  In the mean time, just hang in there, have fun, and do what you can.

2010-07-13 6:41 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

I got my race reports up from this weekend's races if anyone would like to check them out.  They're not quite as detailed as normal, but it takes a while doing 3.  Anyway, here they are:

Bike TT

Olympic

Sprint
2010-07-13 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
First of all forget to tell Mark congrats on becoming a triathlete!!!

Sorry for the delay on my race report as of now the split times are not yet posted...

Colin

I have that sprint coming up Sunday I took yesterday and today off..what should I do the rest of the week... and do you think I'm ready to tackle a HIM by the end of September... If so what plan should I log into my calender?? Thanks

Tim
2010-07-14 9:32 PM

Woodstock
Hello Everyone,
First of all, congratulations on your USAT certification, Colin!  That is great news!  And, congratulation to Mark on becoming a triathlete plus everyone else whose been competing and doing well.  Everytime I read these posts, I get more and more motivated.  Well, I've been out of the pocket for the past 2 1/2 weeks with vacation and work, but I started back this a.m. with a bike ride at the gym, and I'm looking forward to getting back into the groove again.  My first tri is Oct 3rd, so I still have plenty of time.  However, I would like to see more improvement in my swim (I guess that's normal though) since I don't seem to be increasing my distance.  I still feel like my breathing is my biggest hurdle . . . if only I had gills. 
Hope everybody has a great rest of the week!
--Russ
2010-07-14 11:58 PM
in reply to: #2981895

User image

Expert
MI
Russ, lucky you for living in a region where you can have an October triathlon. Smile Keep at it!

Colin, when you give the suggested numbers for the swim sessions, does that include warm-up and cool-down?  For example, if you say a 2500m day, does the 2500 include wu/cd, or is that strictly the main set?  Generally I do a 400m warm up and 200m cool down, and am not sure whether or not this should "count" when I'm thinking about trying to make a certain distance per workout.

Also, I have signed up for the 5K open water swim.  I went ahead with it more or less because I don't know if I'll really be up for it in the following years, so I want to do it now while I feel I can do it! I don't plan on "racing" it, this is just something I would like to do for fun.  I think I can manage the distance, and I don't think it will put a hamper on my training for the HIM.  The plan is to basically follow the HIM swim schedule and include a weekly long swim, gradually increasing the distance each week... this long swim will be more of a mental benefit than anything.  I did a 2 mile pool swim a couple days ago, and plan on increasing by 400m or so each week.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24