BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-23 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3316086

User image

Extreme Veteran
Somewhere, British Columbia
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED
Mike_D - 2011-01-23 9:20 AM Gooooood morning everyone! Not only did I make it out in the single digit temps this AM for a run, but I did over 10 miles (10.1 actually)!! First time ever doing 10+ miles, and the longest run I've ever done. I feel great (a bit tired, too . I'm so excited about it, I even posted my own thread in TT. . Funniest part of the run was the ice forming on my eyelashes

Good job Mike !
my eyelashes were frozen as well this morning !!! but it was only from the 15 min walikng outside from the gym to my place
36k on the bike this morning... feeling good

Have a good sunday everyone! 

2011-01-23 10:45 AM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Nice job Mike.  You are pretty hard core.  I was waiting for the temps to jump up to the teens before I head out.  Nice job everyone. 

Jackie, I say do the century.  If you can try and get in a 70 miler before in the next couple of weeks, you should be fine for the century.  

2011-01-23 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3315206

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

playmobil31 - 2011-01-22 1:16 PM Hey guys,
so, -11c this morning, -20c with the windchill... perfect day for a little 15k outside...
this was actually the first time my water bottles frooze during the run... but I did it

That's this kind of run that you will remember when you will cross the finish line

Miami, here I come !!!

tomorrow, cycling for 75 min. 

I hope everybody got a warm week end

Ok, that's cold.

2011-01-23 4:07 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Croix- Don't have an answer to your question because I never take off my jacket, just the layers underneath it. My jacket is fairly lightweight and more of a windbreaker than anything else. I wear a cycling jersey and arm warmers underneath it. The jersey has lots of pockets at the back, so if I get hot, I'll take off my arm warmers and put them in a pocket and ride with the jacket half way open-gets a nice breeze going through it. I also sometimes take off my ear-warmer or neck-warmer and put it in a back pocket too.

Did a 43 mile bike ride today. Can really feel my fitness coming up. Look forward to using the trainer a few evenings this week.
2011-01-23 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Worked out with the Masters group today at the Y, what a brutal workout! I didn't think I was going to make it out of the pool afterwards? If my math is right it was 2600 yards.
WU- 300
Pre-Set-4x100 Drills
Main 20x50,
1-5 Fast
6-10 drill
11-15 Kick/Swim
16-20 EZ/Fast
Rec 100
Set 12x50,4@70%, 4@80%, 4@90%
CD 200

then I managed a short run this afternoon, I am officially beat! I think I will have a beer and watch some football.

I hope that everyone has a good week!

2011-01-23 4:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Thank Jackie -- hadn't thought about de-layering from the bottom / stashing in the coat.

Dan -- That's not a workout that's a torture fest.  Congrats on surviving

Edited by croixfan 2011-01-23 5:17 PM

2011-01-23 6:23 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Dan - congrats on living through the swim work out. that looks tough!

Jackie - Josh is right, do the century. I wish I had your bike fitness

Thanks for all for the kind words about today's 10 miler. figured out my cycling plan today, and starting this week, I'll be doing 3 hours or so a week of cylcing on the torture device in my basement .

Josh -- its not so much being hard core as it is only having early AM as a time to do long runs on sunday.
2011-01-23 9:28 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Mike- Something that has helped my bike fitness recently (aside from the obvious T.I.T.S.) is my sessions on the elliptical. I can't push a hard gear, but I'm getting better at spinning quickly and outlasting people with my cardio. The elliptical has really helped my cardio without the injury risk of pushing my runs harder (I try to keep the majority of them slow and steady). And I posted on your thread, but again-great job on the 10 miler today. When is your HM?
2011-01-24 5:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Thanks everyone, well at least I know I can do the swim portion of my HIM, now I just need to get Biking and running up to the same level! It's too bad that my swimming seems to be my best sport.

-10F out this morning with a wind chill of -27, I think that I will skip the run today, that's a little cold for me to be running in, Maybe later when it warms up to a balmy high of 10 above?lol

Have a Great week everyone!
2011-01-24 5:38 AM
in reply to: #3317152

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
jpbis26 - 2011-01-23 9:28 PM Mike- Something that has helped my bike fitness recently (aside from the obvious T.I.T.S.) is my sessions on the elliptical. I can't push a hard gear, but I'm getting better at spinning quickly and outlasting people with my cardio. The elliptical has really helped my cardio without the injury risk of pushing my runs harder (I try to keep the majority of them slow and steady). And I posted on your thread, but again-great job on the 10 miler today. When is your HM?

March 20th.

C'mon, Dan - minus 10? And you don't want to go running? Sheesh...
2011-01-24 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Good morning everyone, I hope everyone had a nice weekend .. Looks like there were some really productive workouts this weekend .. good job!!

Dan .. I not sure you can keep your name Mountain Dan if you are not willing to run in -10 degree weather.  Just saying...Tongue out 

2011-01-24 10:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Hi everyone! 

I’ve been amazed at your efforts during the weekend.  You are truly awesome!  This winter has been particularly cold for our standards in Cuernavaca.  But this only means that lowest temperatures in the morning are 39 F (4C) and then they go up to the normal maximum of 87-84F (29 to 31C), which indoors or at a terrace feels like a very comfortable 78F (26C).  The rest of the year the lowest temperature is higher, and that is how we distinguish each season from the others in the “city of eternal spring”.  Only April and May may be uncomfortably hot for a few days.

After reading your posts, I promised myself never to complain about cold weather.  We have no idea what that really means!!  Sealed  The fact that it doesn’t stop you from running or even biking is just unbelievable.  I picture your eyelashes and your drinking water freezing.  Surprised  Wow!!!  Congratulations to you all!!!  Super Jackie included, since even though she is not suffering a cold winter, she is really making a great effort.  Laughing  Hey!  And leave Mountain Dan alone because he’s been out there too!  LOL

Last week I swam 4 days in a row and felt truly exhausted after that (having gone back to being a couch potato Embarassed).  I’ve been reading about the things that I think affected me.  Like lack of sleep, not letting muscle groups rest and how to gradually build base.  I also found that the custom training plan creator is available for free members now, and according to that, beginners should do 2x training rather than 3x.  So I’m starting again.  I hope this new plan works for me.  I'll take a supplement too.

I wish you all a great week!! Laughing

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-24 10:36 AM
2011-01-24 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3318004

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
itziaol - 2011-01-24 10:32 AM

Hi everyone! 

I’ve been amazed at your efforts during the weekend.  You are truly awesome!  This winter has been particularly cold for our standards in Cuernavaca.  But this only means that lowest temperatures in the morning are 39 F (4C) and then they go up to the normal maximum of 87-84F (29 to 31C), which indoors or at a terrace feels like a very comfortable 78F (26C).  The rest of the year the lowest temperature is higher, and that is how we distinguish each season from the others in the “city of eternal spring”.  Only April and May may be uncomfortably hot for a few days.

After reading your posts, I promised myself never to complain about cold weather.  We have no idea what that really means!!  Sealed  The fact that it doesn’t stop you from running or even biking is just unbelievable.  I picture your eyelashes and your drinking water freezing.  Surprised  Wow!!!  Congratulations to you all!!!  Super Jackie included, since even though she is not suffering a cold winter, she is really making a great effort.  Laughing  Hey!  And leave Mountain Dan alone because he’s been out there too!  LOL

Last week I swam 4 days in a row and felt truly exhausted after that (having gone back to being a couch potato Embarassed).  I’ve been reading about the things that I think affected me.  Like lack of sleep, not letting muscle groups rest and how to gradually build base.  I also found that the custom training plan creator is available for free members now, and according to that, beginners should do 2x training rather than 3x.  So I’m starting again.  I hope this new plan works for me.  I'll take a supplement too.

I wish you all a great week!! Laughing

Oooops!  Quoted instead of edited... sorry  Embarassed

Edited by itziaol 2011-01-24 10:36 AM
2011-01-24 12:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

Wow! Mike and Marcus you guys are brutal, no slacking around you 2!Laughing I Love it, I'll never be a ironman if I am going to whine about a little thing like some slightly cold weather! Keep up the pressure, I can take it. I have done many climbing trips in weather as bad if not worse than this! I also did an Atlantic plunge, more like wade, 2 years ago when the wind chill was -15F and that was much worse than running or biking could ever be! I will suck it up and get out there.

Itzia - Thanks for watching my back, I can always use a good Ally 

2011-01-24 1:32 PM

Veteran
Don't feel bad Dan, it was -7 yesterday so I chose to run on the treadmill. Today it warmed up to a balmy 20. I can tolerate that. As far as biking, if I can't get to the side off the road without sliding in ice or snow than I'll wait til spring. Semi's are not too forgiving in my area, plus the country roads around me are always snow and ice.

Congrats though on all the hard work that you are all doing.
2011-01-24 8:59 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Please someone with older kids tell me it gets easier.  I know it doesn't, but I need something to look forward to.  I may let them start driving at 12.

Mike, awesome job buddy.  A huge accomplishment.  Everyone remembers their 1st 10 miler.  You are going to cruise in your half.

Dan, don't feel too bad, I wasn't heading out either.  It was -86 degrees with the windchill in spot where your avatar was taken.  

Itzia, great job on the swimming.  Keep it up.  

I hope everyone is off to a great week.  More snow forecasted for this week.  Another 10 - 15 inches of snow.  

2011-01-24 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3319450

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Thanks Josh! Yes it gets cold up there, I was up there a couple of years ago when it had a wind chill of around -40, Fun stuff!
I know, I should be able to handle -10 without complaining!

Here is an interesting article that I was referred to by some people in my Tri club, an interesting concept. several people that are training for IMLP are using it and are having very good results. Burning nothing but fat, now this sounds like my kind of plan!

http://www.markallenonline.com/maoArticles.aspx?AID=2

2011-01-24 10:07 PM
in reply to: #3319516

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountaindan - 2011-01-24 10:46 PM Thanks Josh! Yes it gets cold up there, I was up there a couple of years ago when it had a wind chill of around -40, Fun stuff!

Here is an interesting article that I was referred to by some people in my Tri club, an interesting concept. several people that are training for IMLP are using it and are having very good results. Burning nothing but fat, now this sounds like my kind of plan!

Hi Dan,
I will say that I kind of disagree with the article as not everybody will react the same regarding the HR.
Let me be more specific: I agree with the aerobic type of exercises but I disagree ont the method to determine the treshold.
I have done a lactate test few months ago and I think (maybe I'm wrong... who knows...) that it is the only way to determine efficiently your different zones, and then your aerobic level.
The test can also tell you if you're working too hard on your training. For me, it showed I ws pushing too strong and not doing the run base properly. I had to slow down and adapt with the zones and know, I really feel the difference in term of recovery. 
2011-01-25 6:09 AM
in reply to: #3319538

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
playmobil31 - 2011-01-24 11:07 PM
Mountaindan - 2011-01-24 10:46 PM Thanks Josh! Yes it gets cold up there, I was up there a couple of years ago when it had a wind chill of around -40, Fun stuff!

Hi Dan,
I will say that I kind of disagree with the article as not everybody will react the same regarding the HR.
Let me be more specific: I agree with the aerobic type of exercises but I disagree ont the method to determine the treshold.
I have done a lactate test few months ago and I think (maybe I'm wrong... who knows...) that it is the only way to determine efficiently your different zones, and then your aerobic level.
The test can also tell you if you're working too hard on your training. For me, it showed I ws pushing too strong and not doing the run base properly. I had to slow down and adapt with the zones and know, I really feel the difference in term of recovery. 

Hi Alex,

I think that you are right as far as the lactate test, however I believe that he is using statistical numbers to arrive at a HR similar to where you would be if you did do a lactate test. I think that the main point is just what you found, that we typically train harder than is necessary to get the results that we desire. Looking at the BT 20 week 1/2 IM training plan calls for low RPE's. I know in the past, I have pushed too hard and then you don't fully recover.
By the way, where did you get your Lactate test at? I have never really investigated where to get it done.

Josh, It does get easier!Wink

Have a great day!
2011-01-25 6:15 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Speaking of HR, at what point in your training should you start to use it as a guide? Since I'm still new to this, I'm doing most everything based on perceived exertion, and don't use or even own a HRM. Should I ever care? I guess I don't know anything about how its used, when, or if I should start thinking about it.

5 mile run this AM (treadmill - roads were horrific). Seemed kind of easy after Sunday's run
2011-01-25 7:22 AM

User image

Athens, GA
Some of you have been kicking butt this weekend. I have been very lax in the pool, but my excuse is that I cut my finger kind deep and I do not want to pollute the pool with my germs, that and it hurts like a MF.... So when it is healed I will 2x my efforts. So i have just been running and biking. If you call indoor fitness bikes and spin biking. But at least I have been running each day, oh how I do not love it. Well that is not 100% true, I don't mind so much, after the first 15-20 min. If I can get past that time frame I am good, that first 20 min thought, it kills me!!!  Anyone else have a block like that?

2011-01-25 7:22 AM
in reply to: #3319751

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountaindan - 2011-01-25 7:09 AM
playmobil31 - 2011-01-24 11:07 PM
By the way, where did you get your Lactate test at? I have never really investigated where to get it done.

Dan, I did it at my club. We have the equipment to do it and then to generate the trace.

I think that RPE and HR are 2 different way to provide only 1 information. One is more based on scientific data, the other one more based on the personal perception.
But like you said, at the end, the most important thing is to make sure you are not pushing too hard at the beginning to build your endurance base. There will be plenty of time to push yourself on the hills

Mike, I never used a HR since last October when my coach told me to do so. What I feel is that it is a great tool to see how far you are pushing and to make sure you are pushing "right".
My advice would be that if you wanna train with a HR, do a proper lactate test to get YOUR zone, not average joe's zone on the mean time, get  training plan that's calling for working with zone and no longer RPE. and then, you're all set. But, like I said, I did it previously without it, it is not mandatory but I found it helps a lot !!!
2011-01-25 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3319860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ail - 2011-01-25 8:22 AM  Anyone else have a block like that?

Yep, although the block is not as long as you
but it is always difficult to tell my body: Wake up!! Once he knows he has no other choices, he'll start kicking and working
2011-01-25 7:26 AM

User image

Athens, GA
Alex et all - 
Do you guys all feel the LT test is a valid test to do early on, or better to wait till you are fully entrenched into the sport?  I am sure I can get it done somewhere around here, but am sure as well that is will require a bit of $ and I am sure that we all have $ flow problems these days! 

Josh- Looks like I am the only only without kids here on the team, so all I can tell you is that I was a better kid as I grew up! But go you for being a dad and doing this crazy sport. To all of you parents, go you!  
2011-01-25 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3319868

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
playmobil31 - 2011-01-25 7:24 AM
Ail - 2011-01-25 8:22 AM  Anyone else have a block like that?

Yep, although the block is not as long as you
but it is always difficult to tell my body: Wake up!! Once he knows he has no other choices, he'll start kicking and working

Yep, same here. Its the first 10-15 min. It really kicks in when its 4:30 AM, and I'm on a street light lit street, its cold, and there's no one around. And I just left a nice soft warm comfy bed to go run around. Makes one question their sanity
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38