BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2011-02-23 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3368571

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL!
jfought - 2011-02-23 11:27 AM
DirkP - 2011-02-22 6:24 PM Jayne,  I hope the recovery is much faster than a couple of months.  I also know how you feel being restricted.  Right now my shoulder is feeling pretty decent and I want to swim in the worst way but I am going to hold off until next week.  Even then I will get back into it slowly.  The swim can come back rather quickly if you try to stay up on the cardio work you will get from the run and bike.  If you can, with doc's clearance only, maybe you could do some shoulder exercises to keep your arms, back and shoulders in some kind of swim shape.  If you can do those I might have a few suggestions to keep the muscles up on their memory.  Let me know.

Dirk,  I can run and bike to my  heart's content, so keeping up on the cardio shouldn't be a problem.  I feel fine and can also do as much lifting as I want, so I would be interested in the exercises you had in mind for me while I can't swim.  

Give a couple of days to get my thoughts together for this and maybe find some pics to demonstrate the exercises.

On another note:
I got my 5 mile run in tonight and almost without incident.  Remember the dog that bit me last week?  It's partner came out tonight, after I was told she probably would never come out without the other dog leading the way.  Tonight it got within 20 feet of m and stopped and the owner came out and called it back but it didn't leave right away.  I yelled at the owner "I will kill that dog if it bites me" and continued my run.

I am really tired of running on the snow and slush too.  Tonight was about the worst so far this year for running on the slush.  I had gotten a bit of a reprieve last weekend when we had some really nice temperatures but then we got 5-6 more inched of snow with ice under it on Monday afternoon.  I am really ready for spring.

2011-02-23 11:31 PM
in reply to: #3256240

User image

Indianapolis
Dirk, 

I would have done the same thing about the dog. Fool me once... Also, I am sooo glad we got missed by the snow. It seemed to hit just north of Indy. Although, I didn't feel like running outside tonight in the dark... my neighborhood isn't the best after dark... so I try to either stay close (ie campus loops) or hit the treadmill up. 

I was supposed to run with Avon today on their easy day, but my girlfriends CEL came on in her car so I had to give it the once over... To my surprise, the car's oil was over 3 quarts low. Her car also has ~60K on it so I figured I would check the tranny fluid. When I dropped it out, it was a chocolate color. OH NO. So I spent about 4 hours working on her car and running back and forth to the parts store this afternoon.  All in all, I rotated tires, changed brake pads, turned the rotors, changed oil and filter, and changed the transmission fluid and filter. Every thing cost me ~250. OUCH. 

I got 6.5 in on the treadmill tonight, which for me is one of my (if not the) longest runs on the treadmill. I got into a zone after 20 minutes and just went to it. Although, the last 4-5 minutes I just wanted to get off the dang thing. It didn't help that the eye candy on the treadmill next to me finished her workout . Something weird did happen when I finished up, as I was getting off the treadmill... I felt dizzy and kinda lost my balance. Does this happen to you treadmill vets? 
2011-02-23 11:33 PM

User image

Indianapolis
Jayne, Speedy recovery! My roomie had compartment syndrome and his recovery was tough. Wish you the best!

Sicone, Hopefully you can get that bike back soon and start working on your fitness! 
2011-02-24 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3369791

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Stickyrunner01 - 2011-02-24 12:31 AM

I got 6.5 in on the treadmill tonight, which for me is one of my (if not the) longest runs on the treadmill. I got into a zone after 20 minutes and just went to it. Although, the last 4-5 minutes I just wanted to get off the dang thing. It didn't help that the eye candy on the treadmill next to me finished her workout

Ha Ha Ha Ha

You just made my morning,  Men!  You're so shallow.  Paragraph one about your girlfriend, next paragraph about the hottie on the treadmill.  A woman would never have thoughts like that! Tongue out  
2011-02-24 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3369869

User image

Indianapolis
jfought - 2011-02-24 7:05 AM

Ha Ha Ha Ha

You just made my morning,  Men!  You're so shallow.  Paragraph one about your girlfriend, next paragraph about the hottie on the treadmill.  A woman would never have thoughts like that! Tongue out  

Haha, well, you're welcome for the laugh!

Who here uses protein supplements? I am looking into the possibility of making post-workout smoothies using some form of protein to help with muscle recovery. I've never done it before and am curious to suggestions or hints... 
2011-02-24 1:32 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
rest day today, friends over for dinner so a nice night will follow   and a run in the morning to clear my hangover :P

2011-02-24 5:01 PM
in reply to: #3370435

User image

Veteran

Who here uses protein supplements? I am looking into the possibility of making post-workout smoothies using some form of protein to help with muscle recovery. I've never done it before and am curious to suggestions or hints... 

I have a protein shake almost every day, go to Costco or BJ's you cab get a big bag there cheapest 100% whey protein. So this is what I add, banana, tablespoon of peanut butter, some Chioboin(sp) Yogurt, blueberries, and no fat milk, also and some flaxseed for good luck, and ice of course... fills me up.
2011-02-24 5:14 PM
in reply to: #3370435

User image

Expert
Boston
Stickyrunner01 - 2011-02-24 11:40 AM
jfought - 2011-02-24 7:05 AM

Ha Ha Ha Ha

Haha, well, you're welcome for the laugh!

I use whey isolate protein by Nectar. It's got lots of flavors to support smoothies and it is simply protein. No fat no carbs. The isolate is better digested and a higher quality than just whey. I generally throw glutamine and creatine powder in as well to speed recovery
2011-02-24 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3371363

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
bfwhitt - 2011-02-24 6:01 PM

I have a protein shake almost every day, go to Costco or BJ's you cab get a big bag there cheapest 100% whey protein. So this is what I add, banana, tablespoon of peanut butter, some Chioboin(sp) Yogurt, blueberries, and no fat milk, also and some flaxseed for good luck, and ice of course... fills me up.

Dude!  You've got yourself a meal there.  Just throw in a slice of pizza and a beer I'll have one!  Laughing

Edited by jfought 2011-02-24 6:09 PM
2011-02-25 8:33 AM

User image

Indianapolis
Anyone have any cool weekend plans?
2011-02-25 12:44 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Tom,  I have no cool weekend plans other than a 9 mile run and hopefully a 1 hr. bike today, a 2 hr. ride tomorrow and the usual 5 mile run and 1 hr. ride on Sunday.

I don't take protein supplements now but I was using Muscle Milk during my marathon training.  It was pretty good stiff too.  I had the chocolate flavor and it seemed pretty good to me.  I don't know that it make a whole lot of difference other than the expense but I think Seren has the right idea by not having a lot of other junk in it.  I like the idea that Bruce has too, put your own stuff in it to make it the way you like.

Jayne, I may be up in your neck of the woods tomorrow.  Concordia HS has a girls bball regional game up there somewhere in the evening.  The wife and I are thinking about going.  And as far as the one track mind of a man that Tom was talking about.....YES!!  It's true!  And I tell my girls ALL THE TIME that that's how we are and you'll get into a lot less trouble with boys/men if you remember that.  Yes, I am a man and those thoughts are always going to occur regardless of how old we get or if we are religious or not.  It's our nature...how God created us.  We are visual beings and ladies are more of an emotional being.  ......Moral to the story don't trust us.  We may have an ulterior motive.  LOL

2011-02-25 3:37 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
No major cool plans this weekend.   Did a trail run yesterday and now my right achilles is a bit tweaked.  Planning on a run tomorrow - probably tready.   Lots of rain here in Boston.....hoping my favorite hills are clear on Sunday for my outside bike.  I miss riding hills.   Both hills are in Parks so they don't plow the road in the winter.   I've been doing a KILLER climbing trainer video from Cyclo-core.   Major OW!  But I am coming up on 12 weeks from my first uphill race!
2011-02-25 6:19 PM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Drinkies friday night (turned friday into a rest day after a late one with friends thursday ) Still need to order a back wheel, sunday im swimming with stav not sure what im doing saturday mayby swimming who knows

oh yes Sic you are rubbish for not coming over :P
2011-02-25 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3368571

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jfought - 2011-02-23 11:27 AM
DirkP - 2011-02-22 6:24 PM Jayne,  I hope the recovery is much faster than a couple of months.  I also know how you feel being restricted.  Right now my shoulder is feeling pretty decent and I want to swim in the worst way but I am going to hold off until next week.  Even then I will get back into it slowly.  The swim can come back rather quickly if you try to stay up on the cardio work you will get from the run and bike.  If you can, with doc's clearance only, maybe you could do some shoulder exercises to keep your arms, back and shoulders in some kind of swim shape.  If you can do those I might have a few suggestions to keep the muscles up on their memory.  Let me know.

Dirk,  I can run and bike to my  heart's content, so keeping up on the cardio shouldn't be a problem.  I feel fine and can also do as much lifting as I want, so I would be interested in the exercises you had in mind for me while I can't swim.  

Here is a link I found while looking for some pics to demonstrate some dry land exercises.  (I don't know why I didn't think of youtube before.)  My daughter has a lot of dry land over the years and I knew some of the exercises from that.  I have not used them myself but there are obvious benefits to using these in your case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUBIXi5JM0 this one is the best one I have seen for a demonstration video.  If you have some power bands you could use them for the same affect.  There are also other exercises that you can do.  Many of which you are probably already familiar with. 
Lat pull downs
Weighted Rowing
The above back work will help with a strong back to keep your body flat in the water.
Tricep press downs (stay strict on form here.  It will develop a strong arm extension when you are finishing your stroke.
Military press
Bench press including incline and decline
These will keep your chest and arms ready for a strong pull.

I would keep the reps high so as not to develop muscle mass.  Unless of course you want to look like Miss Olympia?

I am not sure what kind of stuff the Doc is allowing you to do but I am assuming that he just wants to keep you out of the water.  You might want to check with him to make sure these type of things won't conflict with something he would restrict you from.  What you are going to want to focus on are exercise that will strengthen your pull and stroke technique.  Remember to really keep everything close to a really strong form.  This will help when you get into the pool again.  Personally I would add a bilateral breathing part to the dryland exercise and do some other stroke as well to try to balance the muscle groups a little better.
2011-02-26 8:31 AM
in reply to: #3373129

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
DirkP - 2011-02-25 7:53 PM

Here is a link I found while looking for some pics to demonstrate some dry land exercises.  (I don't know why I didn't think of youtube before.)  My daughter has a lot of dry land over the years and I knew some of the exercises from that.  I have not used them myself but there are obvious benefits to using these in your case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVUBIXi5JM0 this one is the best one I have seen for a demonstration video.  If you have some power bands you could use them for the same affect.  There are also other exercises that you can do.  Many of which you are probably already familiar with. 
Lat pull downs
Weighted Rowing
The above back work will help with a strong back to keep your body flat in the water.
Tricep press downs (stay strict on form here.  It will develop a strong arm extension when you are finishing your stroke.
Military press
Bench press including incline and decline
These will keep your chest and arms ready for a strong pull.

I would keep the reps high so as not to develop muscle mass.  Unless of course you want to look like Miss Olympia?

I am not sure what kind of stuff the Doc is allowing you to do but I am assuming that he just wants to keep you out of the water.  You might want to check with him to make sure these type of things won't conflict with something he would restrict you from.  What you are going to want to focus on are exercise that will strengthen your pull and stroke technique.  Remember to really keep everything close to a really strong form.  This will help when you get into the pool again.  Personally I would add a bilateral breathing part to the dryland exercise and do some other stroke as well to try to balance the muscle groups a little better.

Dirk,

Doc just wants me out of the water.  Other than that, I don't have any restrictions.

Thanks for the link to that youtube video.  I just happen to have some of those power bands laying around the house and now I have a reason to use them!  I've been doing most of the weight work you mentioned, but I want to add some of the swimming-specific exercises from the video.

I'm planning on getting out for a run today.  I need to get my calves loosened up first.  I've been doing a little barefoot running and my calves are screaming!  Did I mention I'm sick of snow?  

2011-02-26 1:34 PM
in reply to: #3372041

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
Stickyrunner01 - 2011-02-25 9:33 AM Anyone have any cool weekend plans?

Just reworked my run/walk intervals and then went out and gave it a try:

30 degrees & snowing
Ran: 9 min 30 sec 
Walked: 1 min 50 sec 
Walked: 1 min 40 sec 
Ran: 11 min 

Total Run TIme: 30 min 
Total Walk Time: 3 min 30 sec

And, the best part, it felt REALLY good!  I'm getting so close to being able to run 30 min non-stop I can taste it!!!  Of course, then I'll have to go longer and faster, but that's why this is SOOOOOO much fun, right?

2011-02-26 4:35 PM
in reply to: #3373617

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
VERY NICE JOB!!!

Thats a great workout.  That's the kind of dedication it takes to get things done. 

Did you get the runners high?  It kinda sounds like you have it.  I live for those days.  Everything seems to fall into place.....the planets are aligned......the world is at peace.......oh and my daughters aren't fighting.  LOL 

A 30 minute run is a solid run.  I would bet that more people than you think can't complete a run of that length.  Make sure you let everyone know when you hit that first 30 minutes straight!

2011-02-27 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3373617

User image

Indianapolis
jfought - 2011-02-26 2:34 PM
Stickyrunner01 - 2011-02-25 9:33 AM Anyone have any cool weekend plans?

Just reworked my run/walk intervals and then went out and gave it a try:

30 degrees & snowing
Walked: 1 min 50 sec 
Walked: 1 min 40 sec 
Ran: 11 min 

Total Run TIme: 30 min 
Total Walk Time: 3 min 30 sec

And, the best part, it felt REALLY good!  I'm getting so close to being able to run 30 min non-stop I can taste it!!!  Of course, then I'll have to go longer and faster, but that's why this is SOOOOOO much fun, right?

Congratulations on feelin good! Like Dirk said, it's days like those that make you suffer through the crappy days. Keep working and you'll be a running machine soon enough! 
2011-02-27 8:37 PM

User image

Indianapolis
Heyyyyy everyone! I hope you all had a great weekend of training, I sure did! 

I got an 8 mile (almost) negative split run in yesterday, followed by a 25 mile ride outside this morning and a 6 mile easy run tonight.

Whats the plans for the week? 
2011-02-28 4:43 AM
in reply to: #3374772

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I'm planning on getting back in the water this week.  After 3 weeks off I intend to get back into it slowly.  I am not wanting to have to take any more time out of the water to have to recover from anything else.  I also get to swim with my daughter.....or so she says.  she is wanting to get in the water with me a couple of times a week to stay in swim shape for next season.  Next year is her senior season and I think she wants to kill it.

The rest of the week is up in the air from a run and bike standpoint.  Right now my legs are shot and I wasn't planning a recovery week just yet.  I will decide how to go forward during the next ride (tomorrow night) while feeling my legs out.  If they are still trashed I will back the effort down for the week.

2011-02-28 6:24 AM

User image

Regular
Everywhere
Way to Go people  sounds like the training is paying off.  

spoke to my work today about a bike to work scheme hopefully will be getting my grubby mitts on a new bike soon(tm)

as far as training for the week I'm just trying to keep up with getting of my butt and getting out, no real goals as such.

2011-02-28 6:44 AM
in reply to: #3374963

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northampton, UK
As far as the weekend was concerned, I hit the pool with Adam on Sunday and learnt a valueable lesson. Never go for a swim with a mate who you know is faster than you because, no matter how hard you try not to, you will swim too fast in order to try and keep up! On the plus side even my slowest 200m was quicker than my previous best 200m (though I'm sure some of that was switching from baggy swimming trunks to proper jammers).

As for this week, after a week off of running to let my knee rest I'll be doing some easyish paced runs to see how things go and I'll be picking up my bike on Wednesday! Something tells me my legs will be fried on Thursday, but it'll be worth it
2011-02-28 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
I got my first swim in for 3 weeks this evening and my shoulder seemed to take the workout well.  I had no pain or abnormal fatigue.  I kept the swim very light and focused more on how my shoulder felt throughout the entire workout.  I also tried to focus on a high elbow catch and get this drilled into muscle memory and ready for race season.

Speaking of race season, while I was at the pool I ran into another triathlete that told me a race I am planning in June is a national qualifier for the AG nationals for the Sprint distance tri.  He said I would have to place in the top 30% to qualify and then the nationals are in Vermont.  I don't know if I can qualify for sure but I think I have a shot.  The race, if I understood him correctly, is the Warsaw Optimist Triathlon.  Who knows, I could be the next AG champ......NOT!!!!

I doubt that I would go if I qualified, but it would be nice to add to my racing resume.
2011-03-01 11:37 AM

User image

Expert
Brevard, North Carolina
So, here's my latest.  I went back to the wound center yesterday for a recheck.  All of the test results came back normal, so there's no underlying reason that the incisions didn't heal completely.  That's good news. 

Since there's no good explanation why I still have areas that didn't heal, the doctor thinks that some swelling in the leg may be impairing the healing process.  That's were the bad news comes in. . .   He wrapped both lower legs from the knee to the toes in 4 layers of b.s. for compression.  Then he said that they need to stay on until my next appointment (9 days) AND I can't get them wet.   "What about my biking and running?" I asked.  His reply, "Do you want them to heal?"  Arrrrrrrg!  I look like I have elephantitis, I can't hardly get a shoe on, it's uncomfortable (think anacondas), I can't work out, and I can't sleep well.  This is NOT working for me and I'm tempted to just eat, drink (heavily), and sleep my way through the week.  I need an intervention.

P.S. Dirk, glad the shoulder is feeling better.  I will be at Warsaw in June!  Maybe I'll see you there.
2011-03-01 4:46 PM
in reply to: #3377451

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
9 Days with no water...........Uhhmmm???  Thats gonna be gross!!!  Screw the training, I'd want a shower! LOL

Don't worry about the training.  9 days is a long time, but not really that long in the big picture.  Your training won't suffer horribly by missing a week and a half.  However, what happens if you don't take the time off?  That limits your options.

If it is just your legs/hips affected concentrate on some of the dry land exercises for the swim, cut back a little more on your food intake (to compensate for fewer calories burned) and lift some more weights for a couple of days.  If you chose to do the weights a couple extra times, make sure you take it light so your body doesn't rebel.  if you can do circuit type weight training that will help maintain the cardio side over that short term layoff.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Stickyrunner01's Group - The bus is FULL! Rss Feed  

of 22