BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2011-02-16 10:04 AM
in reply to: #3357626

User image

Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED
I need some opinions.  I have just been exhausted the last week or so.  Yesterday I barely finished my run - it was windy, but I don't think that was the problem.  My legs just felt like they would not move.  I had to stop and walk a couple of times (which I never do).  I really wanted to stop and go home, but I made myself finish.  I managed to finish just a little slower than normal.  The only real change I can think of is my swimming has really increased.  I started master's swim a couple of weeks ago and am pretty much swimming non-stop for ~ 1hr 20 min.  Prior to that I had swim lessons and that was usually swim 50 m then talk about it, so lots of rest.  

So do I back off a bit (if so on what?) or push through it.  

Thanks 

2011-02-16 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3357740

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
kussmaul - 2011-02-16 10:04 AM I need some opinions.  I have just been exhausted the last week or so.  Yesterday I barely finished my run - it was windy, but I don't think that was the problem.  My legs just felt like they would not move.  I had to stop and walk a couple of times (which I never do).  I really wanted to stop and go home, but I made myself finish.  I managed to finish just a little slower than normal.  The only real change I can think of is my swimming has really increased.  I started master's swim a couple of weeks ago and am pretty much swimming non-stop for ~ 1hr 20 min.  Prior to that I had swim lessons and that was usually swim 50 m then talk about it, so lots of rest.  

Thanks 

Now that I'm doing longer and more focused swim workouts I find that I'm completely spent after I'm done.  Fall asleep when putting the l'il dude down for his nap and not waking up until the 7 year old is ringing the bell because I didn't pick her up from her bus stop and the door is locked tired.  This, like all other things, will pass once I get adjusted to the new demands on my body.  In the interim I just try to do my run or bike before heading to the pool.  If you have the flexibility you could try to make some swim-only days so you get more recovery time.
2011-02-16 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3358502

User image

Regular

I was thinking of doing 3 days/week running since my next event coming up is a half marathon (april 30th). Next after that is May 14th sprint tri on siesta key beach. My thought now is that I need more time in the pool, so that should be my 3x/week sport and running should be 2x biking 1x. I could switch it after daylight savings to 2 bike rides and one run. My run is my best sport and therefore needs the least effort to maintain. From there swimming is my worst and biking is in the middle. I would also like to turn one of my weekend days into a bike run brick since to me that is the hardest transition. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to balance for the two events  I have coming up next and going forward from there. I've looked at some of the free programs on here but haven't found any I liked. I'm somewhat picky about my days and like some flexibility to change things around if things come up.

2011-02-16 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3256799

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I am on the 3 day run plan with 2 days swim and 2 days bike. I still move things around if I need to but just try as best I can to get the training sessions in. Today I had my schedule clear so I did my scheduled swim but also 90km on the bike which would be my Friday training. If your run is good why not just lengthen out some of those sessions (gradually) and another session for the swim if thats your concern.

I too am planning on a Half Marathon (my first) so have been ramping up my long run to match a 3 day/week half marathon plan. My tri plan calls for a max of 77min for the long run but I have been progressively getting up around 2 hours as the mileage has been increasing. I think most of the plans are just that "plans" you can always stray somewhat from them just be aware of the rules; dont increase mileage by more than 10%, add in a recovery week every 3 or 4 weeks etc. 
2011-02-16 10:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
looked at your training logs, You running is good! I think you need to swim more and longer distances plus I would really add in more biking. More than that I would get on a plan, any plan, I know for me I feel that I "have to" do the sessions because its in my schedule. Left to my own devices and with out a plan I am lazy and can come up with a thousand excuses not to run, bike or swim but when its on the calender its a little harder/
2011-02-17 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3357740

User image

Tyler,
kussmaul - 2011-02-16 10:04 AM I need some opinions.  I have just been exhausted the last week or so.  Yesterday I barely finished my run - it was windy, but I don't think that was the problem.  My legs just felt like they would not move.  I had to stop and walk a couple of times (which I never do).  I really wanted to stop and go home, but I made myself finish.  I managed to finish just a little slower than normal.  The only real change I can think of is my swimming has really increased.  I started master's swim a couple of weeks ago and am pretty much swimming non-stop for ~ 1hr 20 min.  Prior to that I had swim lessons and that was usually swim 50 m then talk about it, so lots of rest.  

Thanks 

Well, I don't know your heart rate zones to tell if you are pushing it too much but it looks like you could be, nor do I know what are you are doing inside those runs (thresholds, intervals, or just all base and ez aerobic), also look at nutrition, and sleep. Typically when you increase swimming,  your run times will worsen just a little bit. You may need a recovery week, bc your heart rate was lower than your usual runs.

Which LTF do you run at? I am looking at getting a job there hopefully in Plano or Allen, maybe.

2011-02-17 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3359114

User image

Tyler,
grownassman161 - 2011-02-16 8:40 PM

I was thinking of doing 3 days/week running since my next event coming up is a half marathon (april 30th). Next after that is May 14th sprint tri on siesta key beach. My thought now is that I need more time in the pool, so that should be my 3x/week sport and running should be 2x biking 1x. I could switch it after daylight savings to 2 bike rides and one run. My run is my best sport and therefore needs the least effort to maintain. From there swimming is my worst and biking is in the middle. I would also like to turn one of my weekend days into a bike run brick since to me that is the hardest transition. Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to balance for the two events  I have coming up next and going forward from there. I've looked at some of the free programs on here but haven't found any I liked. I'm somewhat picky about my days and like some flexibility to change things around if things come up.

Is there a good coach in your area you could afford? I would start there. It depends on itensity, frequency, and duration of everything. Can you work out twice a day? I sometimes stack my workouts on top of each with a small break between to do some other things. I am off work in the afternoons so I workout then or study or study/workout after my evening shift.

This could be a sample

Monday: Swim or off , core
Tuesday: Bike- Swim
Wednesday: Run- recovery spin, core
Thursday: Bike- Swim
Friday: off or swim and/or run, core
Saturday: hard-long Brick session
Sunday : long run, recovery spin
2011-02-17 7:38 AM
in reply to: #3358502

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
thndrcloud - 2011-02-16 2:24 PM

Thanks 

Now that I'm doing longer and more focused swim workouts I find that I'm completely spent after I'm done.  Fall asleep when putting the l'il dude down for his nap and not waking up until the 7 year old is ringing the bell because I didn't pick her up from her bus stop and the door is locked tired.  This, like all other things, will pass once I get adjusted to the new demands on my body.  In the interim I just try to do my run or bike before heading to the pool.  If you have the flexibility you could try to make some swim-only days so you get more recovery time.

I am laughing because I just did day one of Fink's program...run in the morning, swim in the afternoon.  Got home, put the kids to bed, laid down in my bed and couldn't get up.  I also wanted candy.  What is it about the swimming that wipes you out and makes you hungry.  Haha.

Anyway, Teddie, I just looked at your logs...you are WAY over your planned minutes per week almost every week for the last month, and haven't had a day off in over a week.  I would totally take a day off.  But that's just me, I'm lazy!  Feel better.

Allison, when are you going to share the new race on your calendar?!!! 
2011-02-17 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

I'm kind of like you in that I like to do running races in with my triathlon stuff.  I started out last season training for an oly in late june (and riding lots extra with my bike team), then switched over to marathon training where I pretty much dropped s/b.  Looking back, I was at my peak fitness in July, early August.  I ran a HM in early august to qualify for a marathon corral and CRUSHED my previous PR by more than 10 minutes...on mostly triathlon training.

So, here's the thing.  I know the conventional wisdom is to hammer your weak sport, but I think this is a bit simplistic.  It depends on the races you are training for.  Wanting to improve your swimming is important, but for a sprint triathlon going to the pool 3x a week and hammering out workouts might make you tired and not really buy you any time come race day.  You might benefit more from getting a little coaching in the pool, learning some drills and spending your swim time improving technique while spending more energy on your run (3x) and bike at least (2x) a week.  Just a thought....

This is all just my opinion, you know what they say about those.   Good luck! 
2011-02-17 8:23 AM
in reply to: #3359434

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
quincyf - 2011-02-17 7:38 AM Allison, when are you going to share the new race on your calendar?!!! 

It's there now.  I'm still recovering from the agony of registration so let us speak of it no more.  For now.
2011-02-17 8:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

Ideally you'd be working on each discipline 3x a week, but that's a big time commitment and not always necessary.  The biggest question is whether you're racing to complete or compete. 

If you just want to finish your tris then 2x a week in each should get you there.  Your run is strong, your bike looks average and your swim is your weak spot.  If you were just doing the sprint in May I'd suggest running once, maybe twice, a week, biking twice and swimming three times using a focused plan to work on technique while building endurance. 

But you have the half marathon at the end of April and your current mileage doesn't support that distance.  I can't remember if you've done a HM before, but you should be running at least 3x a week to prepare for it and more than that if you're trying to improve.  Since the races are so close together you're not going to be able to be competitive in both without doubling up training a few days a week. 

So the answer to your question really depends on what your goals are for each of the races you're targeting.

2011-02-17 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3359515

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
thndrcloud - 2011-02-17 8:23 AM

It's there now.  I'm still recovering from the agony of registration so let us speak of it no more.  For now.

OHHH! 70.3 - Nice! I couldnt believe the prices of races once you get up to "ironman" I am thinking about the Muskoka 70.3 in September but for $300 I dont know.
2011-02-17 5:29 PM
in reply to: #3359434

User image

Tyler,
quincyf - 2011-02-17 7:38 AM
thndrcloud - 2011-02-16 2:24 PM

Thanks 

I am laughing because I just did day one of Fink's program...run in the morning, swim in the afternoon.  Got home, put the kids to bed, laid down in my bed and couldn't get up.  I also wanted candy.  What is it about the swimming that wipes you out and makes you hungry.  Haha.

Anyway, Teddie, I just looked at your logs...you are WAY over your planned minutes per week almost every week for the last month, and haven't had a day off in over a week.  I would totally take a day off.  But that's just me, I'm lazy!  Feel better.

Allison, when are you going to share the new race on your calendar?!!! 

Best advice ever!
2011-02-17 6:08 PM
in reply to: #3359557

User image

Regular
thndrcloud - 2011-02-17 9:38 AM

Ideally you'd be working on each discipline 3x a week, but that's a big time commitment and not always necessary.  The biggest question is whether you're racing to complete or compete. 

If you just want to finish your tris then 2x a week in each should get you there.  Your run is strong, your bike looks average and your swim is your weak spot.  If you were just doing the sprint in May I'd suggest running once, maybe twice, a week, biking twice and swimming three times using a focused plan to work on technique while building endurance. 

But you have the half marathon at the end of April and your current mileage doesn't support that distance.  I can't remember if you've done a HM before, but you should be running at least 3x a week to prepare for it and more than that if you're trying to improve.  Since the races are so close together you're not going to be able to be competitive in both without doubling up training a few days a week. 

So the answer to your question really depends on what your goals are for each of the races you're targeting.

I think the swim weakness is more important for now. I had a terrible swim in the tri I did going from a 25 yd. pool to a 50M pool. So going from pool to open water for the tri in May will require even more work. I will probably get a couple OWSwims in before then to get used to it.

I have 6 weeks till the HM so if I work my long run up to 1.5 hours I think I'll be good. I'm currently comfortable @8:00 pace for an hour and if I can stretch that to 1.5 hours then my goal time for the HM would be 1:45 which is right on 8 min. pace. I think my running background is strong enough to do that. I might be able to throw in some double days by running 3-4 miles on my lunch break @ work which would help supplement my running mileage.

I think I'll sort it all out and put it on a calendar then log my stuff on here.

Edited by grownassman161 2011-02-17 6:12 PM
2011-02-17 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Bricks?
Does the time in between sports matter when doing a brick? For instance if I finish my bike ride @ 9:00 and then go to a park to do a run around 12 am I getting the same benefit? Or should it be one following the next to get used to the transitioning from one activity to another (something I need to get used to).

Thanks for your thoughts on my questions I'm going to put it all together and make sure I'm ready for my next two races.
2011-02-17 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3360811

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
grownassman161 - 2011-02-17 6:42 PM Bricks?
Does the time in between sports matter when doing a brick? For instance if I finish my bike ride @ 9:00 and then go to a park to do a run around 12 am I getting the same benefit? Or should it be one following the next to get used to the transitioning from one activity to another (something I need to get used to).

Thanks for your thoughts on my questions I'm going to put it all together and make sure I'm ready for my next two races.

It's only a brick if you do an immediate transition which is to simulate the conditions you'll be performing under during a race.  If you wait several hours between it's just two workouts in one day.

And I'm laughing because two years ago the thought of two workouts on the same day wasn't "just", it was crazy.

2011-02-17 9:30 PM
in reply to: #3361018

User image

Regular
I've been through it with running. We ask similar questions like will I get the same cardio effects of two 4 mile runs at an easy pace as one 8 mile run at the same pace. Answer is basically no.
I will plan and post my thoughts for more feedback. Between this group and my running knowledge and some experienced Tri friends I'm training with I hopefully won't have to pay for a coach.
2011-02-17 10:04 PM
in reply to: #3361023

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
grownassman161 - 2011-02-17 9:30 PM I've been through it with running. We ask similar questions like will I get the same cardio effects of two 4 mile runs at an easy pace as one 8 mile run at the same pace. Answer is basically no.
I will plan and post my thoughts for more feedback. Between this group and my running knowledge and some experienced Tri friends I'm training with I hopefully won't have to pay for a coach.

Right, yes and no.  With the running question it's more of x+x=y  But with tri it's x+y=z.  Different variables.  Seriously, if you have hours to burn, go on the search function and put in something like, "are bricks really worth it?"  Epic threads have been spawned on the topic. There is nothing magic about a brick, but there are specific advantages and drawbacks to them...and I think it's useful to remember that triathlon is a big, diverse sport, so great training for sprints and oly's might be terrible training for long course and vice versa...

So, off the top of my head, things to think about when planning/executing a brick workout:

1. A brick is useful to learn how it feels to run after a bike effort.  In a way, this may be most important for "runners" as the run off of the bike can be frustrating.  
2.  If you're doing a brick, use the transition to practice...transition.  
3.  A brick can also be a swim to bike or swim to run...getting your balance back after a swim can be disorienting...not a bad thing to practice before a race, IMHO.  Plus you might want to work on getting the wetsuit off if you're wearing one.

Anyway, the thing to remember is that  a brick is NOT a two-a-day workout, it is a triathlon specific workout.  You might encounter folks who don't like bricks, but their concerns are with getting a solid workout in two different sports...a noble goal, but perhaps an intermediate or advanced one.  

I am sure there is more, but I'll stop here...hth..
2011-02-18 6:57 AM

User image

Tyler,

No, Brick is right after the other. Your legs will be tired regardless if you wait that long or not, but more simulation for doing it right after. I do take a little longer in practice, changing into run shorts and putting the bike back into the car, taking in fluids, gels before I take off running.
2011-02-18 11:45 AM

Master
Montgomery, Tx

another view-
Some people "stack" workouts with in a few hours.  It is mainly done do to time and your body is not fully recovered.  If I can not workout in the evening, I will bike or run at 4am then drive to the pool and swim.  It is about a 20 minute drive so I will have 30-40 minutes down time prior to swimming.  Not ideal, but better than doing nothing
2011-02-18 12:03 PM

Veteran
Longmont, Colorado
Another format question...how do you get spaces (return key) on posts? I type the returns and spaces between paragraphs, but whe it posts it jumbles all together. Help!?

2011-02-18 1:30 PM

User image

Veteran

How does everyones' weekend of training look?

I am done for today...woke up early to get the run and strength in.

Tomorrow brings the pleasure of three workouts...60 min bike, 5 mile run, and 1500 swim.  There will be down time between each for a little recovery.

Sunday is a 3 hr bike ride.  Hoping to get started early enough to beat the wind.  This means we will have to be out the door and on the bikes by 7 a.m.  The does not start to pick up until 9 a.m, so we should be on the return home by then and hopefully it will be a south wind like the last two weeks and there is a nice tailwind on the second half of the ride.

It is a busy weekend, but I am looking foward to it.

2011-02-18 2:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Southampton, Ontario
I stacked my bike workout onto another day earlier this week so I had today off and Saturday is normally a rest day. On Saturday I might do a 20km ride just to get a time and will probably snowboard. On Sunday I have a 20km run to do, I also have a kayaking pool session where we mostly goof around. Monday is Family day in Canada so I will do my short bike in the morning,  snowboarding with the family in the afternoon and my short swim at night.

Edited by DaveL 2011-02-18 3:04 PM
2011-02-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3362187

User image

Regular
Did a brick tonight 11.3 bike @ 19.2 mph/ 2 mile run @ 7:45.
Tomorrow morning bike ride with some other triathlete guys who I have run with a couple times, should be a good long relaxed ride, then a run with my wife probably 30-45 minutes we go to a park that has MTB trails running hiking trails as well. Maybe a swim Sunday morning, then Daytona 500 and out for Father-in-law's birthday for lunch.
2011-02-18 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Sat:  30 minute Z2 run
Sun:  1 hr Z2 bike
Mon:  45 min Z1-Z2 run

Swam 1hr and rode the trainer for 30m today.  Some of this weekend's workouts might be outside.   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri Ritter's Mentor Program "Smashin' it 2011" CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28