General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2012-07-23 8:52 AM
in reply to: #4324870

Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread
82 and overcast would be perfect!

2012-07-23 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4325139

Not as good as 70 and overcast.....(dream on....)

Biked the first part of the course at the weekend as part of my last long ride. 

I was hoping I might be able to get away with a standard crank and  23-11 on the back, but that climb immediately out of T1 and the short climb just outside the park gates back towards the bridge will be tough.  Looking at my Powertap the gradient reached 10-11% at times (albeit briefly)  and I was glad that on Saturday I had my 28-11 on the back, although didn't use the 28. 

The rest of 9W (which is steeper than the PP) will be easy - no need for more than a 39-23 at all.

I've changed my plan and will run at least a 25 on the back, just for that initial climb...

2012-07-23 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4312426

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

runnerx - 2012-07-15 4:51 PM Swim and bike cutoffs will be calculated based on when the final competitor enters the water. The finish though is midnight regardless.

Looks like only the Swim cutoff will be adjusted and not the bike cutoff from what I have read recently.

2012-07-23 9:38 PM
in reply to: #4324870

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
It would be awesome to have reasonable temperatures on race day. The only long ride I've done in the past two months that I maintained effort all the way through was on a nice cool morning - all the others have been 90deg+ and the power slowly drops as the ride goes along. I feel prepared for the heat, but a 90+ day will definitely make it much tougher.

For me, run taper is gradually starting, but I plan a big swim-bike this Saturday before taper begins in earnest. I'm dropping my tri bike off for transport on Sunday and am looking forward to some road bike rides to finish things off, since I enjoy riding that bike so much more.

I'm reasonably sure that the version of the athlete's guide that they put up originally for a few hours commented on how great the food was going to be at the finish line, but the final version only talked about the food vans for spectators. Don't know if that means I'm imagining things, they want to surprise us with great post-race food, or we're going to get Domino's pizza and Walmart soda. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Be careful and stay healthy everyone, not much left to gain and a lot to lose from here on out.
2012-07-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: #3550668

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team IMNYC Smile

Just tried to download the athlete guide from the web site and I am getting an error message saying file is damaged and will not open. Anyone else have this issue?

If anyone has it saved can you email it to me [email protected]

Thanks.

KC

2012-07-24 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4322632

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH

jsnowash - 2012-07-20 4:57 PM The run is actually not as bad as I thought it might be. The park has nice scenery, that part of the run will be nicely shaded, and the hills are really not SO bad.  

I sincerely hope you're still saying that after you finish the race!  Smile  However, its often pretty amazing how much harder hills feel during IM runs as opposed to training runs.  Again, proper bike pacing will be critical and I agree that it is better to have the hills at the beginning of the run as opposed to the end, but they're going to be tough!

2012-07-24 10:30 AM
in reply to: #4326016

Yeah it will be a challenge to get out of the water, onto the bike (with your HR up) and then shoot it up even higher with the steep climb from T1 and then the short but steep climb to the parkway. I will be in an easy gear spinning and trying to not spike the HR too high.....Same deal on the run: You get off the bike hustle through transition then have a big hill to start. A couple people I train with were strategizing about the benefits of walking the hill to start the run to just slow down, keep the HR under control and then start running once at top of hill when there is a nice gradual downhill. That makes intellectual sense on some level but I am not in love with the psychology of walking to start the run....Any thoughts?
2012-07-24 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4327484

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
PeakTriCoaching - 2012-07-24 10:00 AM

jsnowash - 2012-07-20 4:57 PM The run is actually not as bad as I thought it might be. The park has nice scenery, that part of the run will be nicely shaded, and the hills are really not SO bad.  

I sincerely hope you're still saying that after you finish the race!  Smile  However, its often pretty amazing how much harder hills feel during IM runs as opposed to training runs.  Again, proper bike pacing will be critical and I agree that it is better to have the hills at the beginning of the run as opposed to the end, but they're going to be tough!

Ha! I'm sure you're right.... Everywhere I run from my house has hills, so I'm pretty used to them - I just thought the hills SOUNDED worse from course descriptions I had read than they were in reality.... nothing any worse than what I run on pretty much every day.... I'm still sure they're gonna suck on race day, especially that last stretch up out of the park.
2012-07-24 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4327745

User image

Veteran
Williamstown NJ

greyguy - 2012-07-24 11:30 AM Yeah it will be a challenge to get out of the water, onto the bike (with your HR up) and then shoot it up even higher with the steep climb from T1 and then the short but steep climb to the parkway. I will be in an easy gear spinning and trying to not spike the HR too high.....Same deal on the run: You get off the bike hustle through transition then have a big hill to start. A couple people I train with were strategizing about the benefits of walking the hill to start the run to just slow down, keep the HR under control and then start running once at top of hill when there is a nice gradual downhill. That makes intellectual sense on some level but I am not in love with the psychology of walking to start the run....Any thoughts?

My first thought is I will be in transition long enough for my HR to come down.  And I will probably walk the first hill out of T2.

2012-07-24 11:14 AM

User image

Hi KCGolf,

I just sent you the Athlete Guide.  I downloaded it while it was still available.

Less than 3 weeks to go!!

Mark

2012-07-24 2:21 PM

User image

Orlando

greyguy - 2012-07-24 11:30 AM A couple people I train with were strategizing about the benefits of walking the hill to start the run to just slow down, keep the HR under control and then start running once at top of hill when there is a nice gradual downhill. That makes intellectual sense on some level but I am not in love with the psychology of walking to start the run....Any thoughts?

This is actually a pretty good idea.  I can't think of a better way to ruin a race than by charging up a hill at the start of a marathon run.  I will probably take around 7 minutes in T2 to make sure I have everything just the way I like it to start the run but I will probably still walk that first hill.  I would much rather lose a couple minutes on the front end to potentially save them on the back end.

2012-07-24 2:28 PM

User image

Hey guys, what does everything about the spectator support (or lake thereof) for this race? The Spectator Guide makes it really complicated for family and friends to watch the NJ side of the race, with a ton of focus on the Manhattan portion of the run. I would hate to have to wait 130 miles to see some sign of life out there I know there are aid stations on the bike and run, so that will be of some help. I guess I just came from Lake Placid where the was TONS of support on pretty much every mile of the course, so it set my expectations high. Any thoughts? Will it not be that big of a deal?
2012-07-24 2:31 PM

User image

Orlando

So its happening to me already!  That feeling of "OMG, how did the race get here so soon?!? I'm so under-trained!"  I should know better since the same feelings happened last year before IMSG, in which I did fine, but still its hard to silence that little voice in the back of the head and just trust in the training.  This is my first taper week, followed by a slight build next week, and taper again for race week, and I find myself having to fight the urge to squeeze in an extra workout. 

Anybody else having these feelings yet?

2012-07-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4328284

User image

Orlando

triguy615 - 2012-07-24 3:28 PM Hey guys, what does everything about the spectator support (or lake thereof) for this race? The Spectator Guide makes it really complicated for family and friends to watch the NJ side of the race, with a ton of focus on the Manhattan portion of the run. I would hate to have to wait 130 miles to see some sign of life out there I know there are aid stations on the bike and run, so that will be of some help. I guess I just came from Lake Placid where the was TONS of support on pretty much every mile of the course, so it set my expectations high. Any thoughts? Will it not be that big of a deal?

I'm not expecting much support until the run crosses over into Manhattan.  It would be nice to have 140.6 miles of crowd support but on a course like this there are just certain limitations.  When racing IMSG last year the crowd support was pretty sparse for most of the bike due to the course weaving through an Indian Reservation and otherwise winding mountain roads but I never really felt lonely out there with all the other athletes around.  That said, maybe the supporters will surprise and find a way to be more present on the course.

2012-07-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: #4328288

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Joshua.

This will be my first full IM so I am certainly questioning my prep work for sure but I am guessing you will always feel that you are not prepared enough? I have one long ride left - tomorrow - then taper begins and I know I am going to go nuts until NY.

Stay healthy everyone and have a great race. If you see a guy wandering around athlete check in or Ironman village with a titleist visor and or shirt on and I look completely lost, that is me - don't hesitate to say hello. I am also racing in a titleist tri suit if you can believe it (custome made - I am a Golf Pro turned triathlete Smile). What the hell was I thinking LOL Cry.

All the best.

KC

Mirdban - 2012-07-24 3:31 PM

So its happening to me already!  That feeling of "OMG, how did the race get here so soon?!? I'm so under-trained!"  I should know better since the same feelings happened last year before IMSG, in which I did fine, but still its hard to silence that little voice in the back of the head and just trust in the training.  This is my first taper week, followed by a slight build next week, and taper again for race week, and I find myself having to fight the urge to squeeze in an extra workout. 

Anybody else having these feelings yet?

Edited by kcgolf 2012-07-24 2:49 PM
2012-07-24 8:38 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
greyguy - 2012-07-24 9:30 AM

• .. A couple people I train with were strategizing about the benefits of walking the hill to start the run to just slow down, keep the HR under control and then start running once at top of hill when there is a nice gradual downhill. That makes intellectual sense on some level but I am not in love with the psychology of walking to start the run....Any thoughts?

• That first hill is .3 miles at about 6.5% grade, which makes it by far the easiest of the "climbs" on the run, and only about a 3-4 minute effort. My personal plan is to run it slowly, with short, high strides, to get the legs warmed up, since I don't like the psychology of walking right off the bat. Remember the last 20-30 minutes of the bike are downhill, and the last 5-10 minutes are mostly all coasting, so the end of the bike + transition should get legs rested up. If you want to plan to walk in advance, start with the climb out of the park up to the bridge, followed closely by the two southbound Dyckman Hill climbs, then the two northbound ones.

2012-07-25 12:06 PM

User image

I think there will be decent crowd support everywhere except for the bike.  Granted that is a HUGE portion of the day but I think it is more important for the run.  When you are flying by on the bike the crowds don't make as big of a difference.  Of course on some of the hills we will be hitting on the bike it would be nice to have the extra boost   

Spectators will have a fairly easy time getting to various parts of the run course from transition since it will be 2 x 3.5 mile out and backs I think you will see crowds at every larger intersection where there is room for them to stand.  Then there should be crowds on the NY side after we cross the bridge.

I don't think the crowd support will be too bad.  I did Arizona a couple of years ago and the only crowds we saw on the bike were at the turnaround to start the next loop and the aid stations. 

Mark

2012-07-25 1:31 PM

New user

New York
    Hello, are you guys training with any Tri team? This is my first Ironman and I am training mostly by myself. This is the start of tapering week right?
    2012-07-25 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
    Bedford, NH

greyguy - 2012-07-24 11:30 AM Yeah it will be a challenge to get out of the water, onto the bike (with your HR up) and then shoot it up even higher with the steep climb from T1 and then the short but steep climb to the parkway. I will be in an easy gear spinning and trying to not spike the HR too high.....Same deal on the run: You get off the bike hustle through transition then have a big hill to start. A couple people I train with were strategizing about the benefits of walking the hill to start the run to just slow down, keep the HR under control and then start running once at top of hill when there is a nice gradual downhill. That makes intellectual sense on some level but I am not in love with the psychology of walking to start the run....Any thoughts?

I think the answer to this question really depends on what your goals are.  However, for people purely trying to finish the race and are concerned about the run, I think that walking the hill makes a lot of sense.  If walking the first hill is going to allow you to keep your heart rate under control, it will probably equate to a faster overtime time than blowing up a few miles later and having to consistently walk.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with walking during the run.  The key to a successful race is being able to develop a strategy that is going to allow you to maintain/execute your game plan for the entire race.  There is a saying that "It is not about who goes the fastestbut who slows down the least."  If you're able to execute your plan and maintain a certainly pace throughout the race, you will pass A LOT of people as the day goes on.  

2012-07-25 2:57 PM
    in reply to: #4329985

User image

Thanks Mark, I think you're right. There will a nice crowd at the bike turnaround. I would like my friends and family to be there, but trying to think of the best way to get them there. I think we will be surprised by the amount of crowd support.

TheNoid - 2012-07-25 1:06 PM

I think there will be decent crowd support everywhere except for the bike.  Granted that is a HUGE portion of the day but I think it is more important for the run.  When you are flying by on the bike the crowds don't make as big of a difference.  Of course on some of the hills we will be hitting on the bike it would be nice to have the extra boost   

Spectators will have a fairly easy time getting to various parts of the run course from transition since it will be 2 x 3.5 mile out and backs I think you will see crowds at every larger intersection where there is room for them to stand.  Then there should be crowds on the NY side after we cross the bridge.

I don't think the crowd support will be too bad.  I did Arizona a couple of years ago and the only crowds we saw on the bike were at the turnaround to start the next loop and the aid stations. 

Mark

2012-07-25 3:37 PM

User image

New York, NY

My family is getting to the viewing spots via the (free) ferry, because they're volunteering for bags & the turnaround water station. My friends are getting to the turnaround by taking the subway to Harlem and walking across the GWB. As out of the way as NJ seems, it's relatively easy to access.

Since I've been training solo, any cheering or competition is an improvement over Saturday bricks.

@Warren123, you're correct. I'm following Fink's plan and this is the taper period.

Edited by wholeydiver 2012-07-25 3:37 PM

2012-07-25 8:59 PM

User image

Master
    Muskego, Wisconsin
    Just finished driving from Virginia to California and back over the last 2.5 weeks, feel totally undertrained and am looking toward to embracing the suck that is to come. Where are the bib #s? Usually out by now....unless I missed them, which is entirely possible.
    2012-07-25 9:37 PM
    in reply to: #4330817

User image

Master
    \Windsor, Ontario

Hi Chris.

I have been looking for the bib numbers for a while now and they are not out yet.

KC

papson14 - 2012-07-25 9:59 PM Just finished driving from Virginia to California and back over the last 2.5 weeks, feel totally undertrained and am looking toward to embracing the suck that is to come. Where are the bib #s? Usually out by now....unless I missed them, which is entirely possible.

2012-07-25 9:38 PM
    in reply to: #4330153

User image

Master
    \Windsor, Ontario

Hi Warren.

I do most of my training on my own as well but I do belong to a Tri Club in my area. This is also my first Ironman and my taper starts this week. Good luck and have a great race.

KC

warren123 - 2012-07-25 2:31 PM Hello, are you guys training with any Tri team? This is my first Ironman and I am training mostly by myself. This is the start of tapering week right?

2012-07-26 11:05 AM

Quick question - does anyone know if you can get a fellow competitor and/or family member to check in your bike on the Friday, or do you have to do it yourself?

I have to be in DC on Thursday night and am worried I might not get back up to Fort Lee in time for the 4pm cut-off on Friday.

...and, yes i know it's not ideal preparation for an IM  :-)

New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman U.S. Championship : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 27