BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-02-12 6:40 PM
in reply to: #4043046

User image

Subject: RE: Team KiterChick - CLOSED

The sling came off on the weekend! My arm just sort of hangs there but at least its a step forward. I have new exercises to do now too which makes life a little more interesting.

I went along to a world sports expo on the weekend and was given a few leads on fluid trainers so im going to go and do some investigating tonight.

Happy training everyone

2012-02-13 9:53 AM
in reply to: #3942327

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Between unexpectedly not being home most of the weekend, as well as dealing with some back pain, I didn't end up working out at all this weekend. I think I've really been checked out as far as motivation goes lately, because I know when I start with my coach next month that that will be the beginning of six solid months of hard training, so I'm slacking while I still can. Hoping to get in a workout tonight though. I don't plan to completely quit for the rest of the month!

Ken - I was really hoping that your calf was just a minor tweak, but it sounds like it's really bothering you. How far out are you from you hopeful BQ race? Could you start an early taper now?

Will - Looks like a lot of us have been unable to resist the 910xt siren song. I usually use five data fields on my Edge when I'm biking, so four will be a drop for me as well. I know with the Edge, I can setup different pages and easily toggle between them though, so hopefully this will be similar.

Hubbie - I can't believe you did that race in shorts. You're hardcore! Glad you were able to get through it after your recent setbacks as well, and it sounds like you had a great time. Congrats on the new bike computer too. You'll have to let us know how you like it once you get your new bike.

Frances - That's awesome you got the sling off! Good luck with the continuing PT. What fluid trainers are you currently leaning towards? Did you actually get to try any out at the expo?

Have a great day, everyone!

2012-02-13 10:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Sarah, I am about 5 weeks out from the race.  Right now I am still hobbled.  My next scheduled run is tomorrow.  I am going to try on the treadmill and see how it reacts.  I have been treating it all weekend.  I know that is not enough time but we will see.  
2012-02-13 1:00 PM

User image

Expert

Finally after 2 weeks off due to work and sickness, I am going to get back into it tonight with a good solid 3 mile run....so excited!!!

Hope you all get to feeling better soon!!

2012-02-13 7:26 PM

User image

New user

Sorry for my little break from BT.  A couple of recent things.  I had my first Crossfit workout as part of the "on ramp" intro courses.  What a great workout.  It's a whole different creature.  I thought I was in decent shape going into it, but two days later and I'm still beyond sore.  It's a lot of effort in a short amount of time.  All in all though, I think I'll like it once I get settled in.

On to the bad news.  It seems I've develops what is probably peroneal tendonitis in my left ankle.  I'd noticed it nagging me a bit more than normal (some ankle pain is normal for me from when I shattered it), but this was different.  It's on the outside of the ankle, following along the back and up a little bit.  I notice it most when I twist.  From all the reading I've been doing the cure for it is rest.  It's frustrating because I'm not good at resting and I want to continue to train and have it heal.  I don't think that's going to happen.  I'll still work on strength training since I can do that without the abuse on the ankle but until it feels better I'm off the bike and running.  Hopefully that doesn't completely negate all the gains I'd made in the previous months.  If anyone has any experience with it, or knows good remedies...I'm all ears!

I still can't wait to get outside and start to train outdoors instead of inside all the time.  It'll be so much easier to get on a plan.  When you're stuck inside it's so limiting.

Shane

2012-02-13 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4044360

User image

Davis Square, Somerville, MA

First bike crash of the season for me tonight.  Here is the embarrassing part- I was on the trainer.  Seriously, who does that?  Apparently, I was a little lazy when I set the skewer and forgot to tighten it.  About 20 minutes in, I rode my back wheel out of the trainer and went down.  The worst part is, my wife heard the crash and came rushing downstairs- how ridiculous I must have looked!  I have a little cramp in my calf, but hopefully everything will be okay to run during lunch tomorrow.

Hope everyone is having a good start to the week.

Will

2012-02-13 11:37 PM

User image

Veteran

Will- Thats ok about your accident, I managed to run head first into a brick wall!

Went on my first actually triathlon training day today. It went ok, I guess. Well not really.. I'm feeling the effects from my race last Saturday, maybe I should not have wore shorts! Anyway I was suppose to do 45 minutes of fartlek running, I got in about 20 minutes with the last five minutes dragging my legs and not moving at a nice fast pace. I was amazed how much nausea I had simply by running. Don't think I'm over my cold either so I'm sure that didn't help matters any. Hoping for a better day tomorrow.

On a better note I ordered my new bike today! I hope to have it in about 10 days. I've never used aero bars before, so I might be in the same boat as Will and fall off my trainer!

2012-02-14 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Happy Valentine's Day! Unfortunately, mine's not so happy in the workout department. I haven't done a thing since last Friday. My hamstring was bothering me yesterday, then I was too lazy to get up in time this morning. With plans tonight, today is out, but I really hope to get in a good workout tomorrow. To add a bit of humor to the situation, this is how I feel lately - (http://www.explosm.net/comics/2536/)

Ken - Hmmm, five weeks out is a bit awkward as far as timing goes, so I understand why you're frustrated. Hope your calf heals up soon!

Tyler - Nice to hear you're finding time to fit workouts back into your schedule again!

Shane - Wow, CF sounds challenging, but I would suspect that's a good thing. That's rough about the ankle injury though. I recently self diagnosed my ongoing hamstring pain as a tendon issue as well. Except for a couple of brief periods, I've been able to work through it in the past, but I'm definitely going to look into some serious treatment as soon as the IM is over this fall. Sounds like you're catching yours early, so hopefully it will heal up quickly.

Will - Glad you survived your fall! The husband of a friend of mine told me he fell off his trainer too, so I'm happy to report you're not the first to do this. With any luck, this helped you meet your quota and you'll have an injury free season once you get outside!

Hubbie - Sorry your first official training day was rough, but you are coming off of a race, so it's understandable. There's always going to be workouts that are not fun. Hopefully your next will feel great. Be sure to post pics of the bike when it arrives!

Edited by KiterChick 2012-02-14 12:21 PM
2012-02-15 12:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Hit the pool for the first time since my injury. Didn't go to far, only 700 meters. I let my shoulder be the guide on my distance. When I lost feeling in my fingers I figured it was time to stop. But still happy I got some swim time in.
2012-02-15 8:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC

Was able to run yesterday without too much pain. No pain today, so I think I am over the worst of it. I still feel a twinge but it didn't say stop.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a speed (interval) day.  I think instead of trying that I will just do an easy run and try to continue to heal.  

Also tomorrow I am meeting with my swim coach.  Haven't seen him since late November, hopefully my techniques hasn't gone completely to pot and it will be an easy lesson.  We'll see.

2012-02-15 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4046997

User image

Back on the trainer tonight- rode part of the Spinervals dvd that Sarah let me borrow- definitely tough, but a fun workout.  Tomorrow its back to running- a tough 65 minute effort. 

Hope everyone is having a good week.

Will

2012-02-15 9:09 PM

User image

New user
Looks like im going to have to cut back on the training for the next month or 2, I might be able to squeeze in 3 sessions per week. Was thinking one run, one bike and one full body workout on the weights, any thoughts?
2012-02-16 4:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone, apparently, I've decided to take an entire week off. I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts, but am also constantly being gnawed at by guilt, so it's been a bit of a mixed bag. Had hoped to swim tonight, but got a last minute invite to hang out with the new guy. Things have been going well with him, so I'm trying to spend time with him now before things are required to ramp up. At least he's been warned, and seems supportive, so that's encouraging!

Hubbie - Yes, I too would recommend stopping when your fingers go numb. That's kind of nuts! I hope you didn't do any serious damage there...

Ken - Glad to hear the calf is on the mend. Coming from a marathon background, I really felt your pain (figuratively here of course...) with the timing of your injury. Good luck making it to the taper!

Will - I'm actually glad to hear that the DVD was tough. It's supposed to be!

Chris - Your schedule for the next couple of months should really be dictated by your goals. If you're doing each discipline once a week, I wouldn't expect you to see much in the way of gains in any of them alone. If you're okay with that, then it will hopefully at least help you hold a base for each. Conversely, you could choose one to focus on, but clearly you're going to see a large drop in the others. Either way, at least you're fitting something in!

2012-02-17 11:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Had an amazing run yeserday. I rediscovered some old faviorate music with made the time and miles fly by. I must of looked like a complete idiot with a grin on my face but I was feeling great.

Today I'm slugging my way through the last day of class. We are about half way through and I'm ready to bust outta here.

I'd rather be training......
2012-02-17 6:09 PM
in reply to: #4053115

User image

Expert

Great run today, the weather was beautiful

Kind of a big breakthrough for me today too, I made it 2 miles without having to stop and walk!  

I was excited!

2012-02-18 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4051598

User image

Finally got a run in yesterday- it wasn't the best, but I got through it.  I got out of bed and hit the pool at 7 this morning and had a wonderful swim.  The best part is now the rest of today is a free day!

Have a good weekend everyone.

2012-02-18 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Today's run was not fun. I felt very sluggish and never got comfortable running. I am really scratching my head about why. I know that I wanted to take it easy to rest my calf but this was not my plan. I know I am happy that I can still run on it but I will not met my goal for my upcoming marathon at this pace.
2012-02-18 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4044360

User image

KiterChick - 2012-02-13 10:53 AM

Will - Looks like a lot of us have been unable to resist the 910xt siren song. I usually use five data fields on my Edge when I'm biking, so four will be a drop for me as well. I know with the Edge, I can setup different pages and easily toggle between them though, so hopefully this will be similar.

Got the best kind of news today, my 910 shipped.  Of course its shipping from WA, so there is no telling how long it will take to arrive.  But still, I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.  New toys are so much fun.

2012-02-20 6:50 AM
in reply to: #4054606

User image

Veteran
Tampa

Hi everyone, hope you had a great weekend. Will, I am jealous, I have not had any news about my 910 yet. Hope you get to play with yours soon!

Yesterday I did another race, it was a 10 mile trail run. I did this one more as a replacement for my long run for the weekend than as a race. It was a nice day to run and had fun, my time was 1:37:18 and I was happy with it. I posted a race report in the forums in case you are interested. 

Today is back to swimming for me, hope everyone gets to start the week strong

2012-02-20 9:25 PM
in reply to: #4051598

User image

Had a disaster of a long run Sunday- the goal was 10 miles at a 8:30 - 8:45 pace, which should have been very doable, but between morning brunch or some other bad nutrition choice the run did not go well at all (stomach cramps from mile 5 on). Perhaps my latte and cookies diet for the weekend was not the best idea.  The good news is that I will get another shot at the run this Saturday. 

Also, after two years, I seem to be having some trouble stomaching Heed now.  Even the smell when I open the container is starting to turn my stomach- not a good omen for the season.

2012-02-20 10:17 PM

User image

Veteran

Day three of not doing any training. Its also day three of a massive sinus infection that has left me in bed and crawling to the bathroom and to my faviorte spot, my recliner. I was suppose to do a 5 mile run this morning but with a temp 3 degrees above my normal I skipped it. I am getting sick and tired of always being sick and tired! I'm hoping that all this sickness will get done with so I can get back to training.

On the bright side I got my bike! Its currently in the shop making sure I did the assemble correctly and I am scheduled to be fitted for it tomorrow, that is of course if I can drag my a$$ out of bed!

2012-02-21 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Boston, MA

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been MIA the past few days, but I was barely home for the entire long weekend. It was crazy busy! Saturday I had a girls' day out with a friend of mine, which included going to the Chocolate Bar in the city (http://boston.langhamhotels.com/restaurants/chocolate_bar.htm). Delicious, but so unhealthy! Sunday wasn't much better since that involved Lamb Jam, where a bunch of local chefs design dishes that you can sample. I brought gear for a run this afternoon, since I definitely need to try to equalize out some of the decadence!

Tyler - That's great you hit 2M without stopping. You'll be hitting 5K before you know it!

Ken - I hope the bad run was just one of those fluke days that we all get, and not an ongoing trend in your training...

Will - Sorry you cramped up on your run, that's the worst. On a happier note, you're lucky your 910xt is shipping out so quickly. Of course you're now going to be responsible for being the first in the group to review it once it arrives, since we'll have to live vicariously through you for a while!

Sebastian - Too bad you got stuck behind all of those people during your race, but I still think you did the right thing pacing yourself from the start. It sounds like it went well overall, and that's great you found someone to help you push for the final section. The pics were interesting too, since I generally only picture you in your swim cap!

Hubbie - I'm on a 10 day no workout streak, so I have you beat! Seriously though, that's rough you're sick again. This has been a tough winter for you. Spring is right around the corner, so hopefully getting outside more will help. That's sweet your bike is here too. You'll have to post pics once it makes it home!

2012-02-21 6:29 PM

User image

Expert

Just got in from a 4 mile run, felt amazing!!

Thinking that I am going to spend the next few months working on the 3-5 mile runs.

2012-02-21 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh, NC
Had a pretty good run at lunch. Still not even close to 100% but able to maintain a decent pace for the entire 8 miles. Hope everyone had a great training day.
2012-02-24 7:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Had an X-ray of my shoulder since it still hurts. Hope there is nothing seriously wrong with it.

I did a half mile swim yesterday which went ok. I felt like I spent more time struggling than swimming. Very frustrating.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team KiterChick - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 22