BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2012-02-13 2:36 AM
in reply to: #4043845

User image

Subject: RE: FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed

Ya I think mine was a combination of increasing milage too fast, adding LOTS of hills when I had been doing none, rarely stretching and high arches with little support. So adding lots of stretching, arch supports and some glut/quad strengthinging has been the key for me. I did some elec. stim and massage with PT for a few weeks too and that God-Awefull foam roller! From what I understand IT band issues are a constant battle so I am going to have to keep up on my stuff....might have to do fewer runs when I pick upon my rides.

Jenny

2012-02-13 9:24 AM
in reply to: #3945983

User image

Expert
Well I took some advice and laid out the rest of the week to make sure I was recovered.  Bout drove me crazy, but I do have to admit I feel much better.  Ready to get back at it and its supposed to be another beautiful south Texas week.  Looking forward to getting back in the thick of it.
2012-02-13 10:23 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-02-13 10:40 AM
in reply to: #4043825

Edited by FoggyGoggles 2012-02-13 10:45 AM
2012-02-13 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4044258

2012-02-13 9:33 PM

Expert

Got out for a run tonight.  Felt good to actually be doing something again.  Just me, the dog, the footfalls, and the rythmical breathing that I've missed so much.  Can't wait to hop on the bike again.  Hope everyone else is getting rolling as well.

Foggy????  30's and 40's spoiled???  Dang thats dreadmill weather for me...I'm like a big old diesel engine, I just don't run well in the cold weather.  I was cruising in 55 degree temps tonight, makes me appreciate what I got down here.

2012-02-14 6:17 AM
in reply to: #4045985

2012-02-14 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4042593

Veteran
Minneapolis
FoggyGoggles - 2012-02-11 9:12 PM

QueerDrummer - 2012-02-11 12:44 AM ...and now I'm winding down the end of a very long day. But I had an epiphany. Froggy, we shouldn't look at it as 5 weeks to a Sprint - more like 18 weeks to an almost-Olympic. This is my first season attempting more than one tri, so i didn't see the interconnectedness.

I like the *mental* training you put in today, sir! Well done.

What is the date that you are looking at the Sprint and  Oly... and which races? If they are spread out enough then we can ramp you up to the Sprint with enough conditioning to jump onto an Oly with 10 to 12 weeks to go. 

May 5 - Alexandria Chain of Lakes Sprint (600yd pool swim/12.5 mile bike/2.8 mile run)

August 5 - Duluth Brewhouse Triathlon (.8 mile lake swim/21 mile bike/5 mile run)

I can start tri-specific training for the Sprint on April 1 - I've continued to swim & run sprints 1-2x weekly during my 3-month weight training program, but I haven't biked in months so I suppose I should focus on that in the beginning? Would love to hear any recommendations/suggestions. Since this is only my 2nd & 3rd tri's ever, I've only ever done one training approach and it was a "finish-with-a-smile" type approach. Excellent experience & I'm ready to push a bit harder this time, I think.

2012-02-14 11:17 AM

Veteran
Minneapolis

Foggy (haha, I typed "fRoggy" last time!): LOLOL re: "recovering bodybuilder" LOLOL

Jenny: last year when preparing to get back in the water for the first time (in more years than I care to recount) I stumbled across this rather garish-looking, but very helpful, instructional swimming book. It includes lots of 600yd/meter workouts, as well as 1,000yd/meter workouts. I originally checked it out from my library, but have since purchased my own copy. You may find it useful, but at some point you'll get to where you can create your own workouts. There are also lots of swim workout suggestions online if you don't want/can't find the book: http://www.amazon.com/Janet-Evans-Total-Swimming/dp/0736068481/ref=sr_1_42?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329239805&sr=1-42

2012-02-14 12:59 PM

Expert
Pumped up today boys and girls, no lingering effects of the sickness.  Heck yes.  Looked on my schedule today and have my first brick workout coming my way.  An hour on the bike and then 15 mins on the run.  It will be very interesting to see how the legs respond coming off the bike onto the run.
2012-02-14 9:15 PM

Logan Ut
have been dooing some strenght training at the gym lately.  went with my wife today and did some swimming drills with her for a while.  she asked me to race her down the lane and i kept up with her the whole way down and back. 

2012-02-15 12:38 AM
in reply to: #4026443

Concord
FoggyGoggles - 2012-02-02 4:20 PM
AManCalledHawk - 2012-02-01 9:24 AM

Last night's workout

100 wu
200 drills (kick/pull/catch-up/fist)
100 for pace
3 100s on 2:00
150 cool down

This morning's workout

CrossFit workout of the day:

STRENGTH:

Max Effort (ME): Bench Press

Work up to a 3RM. (145lbs)

CFE STRENGTH & CONDITIONING WOD:

3 rounds for time of: (took about 10:30)

7 Push Presses, (50 up to 60 lbs)

9 Lateral Burpees

11 C2B Pull ups (yea, not happening - did regular chin ups)

Tonight's planned workout:

Bike: 3 x 5k, spin/rest 4:00, hold all splits within 3-5 seconds (I may do this on the road...)

Nice workout day my man! I did cross fit for the first time last night and had to stick around and talk to the trainers. (Had you in mind, actually.) I asked them for their opinion on cross fit training for endurance athletes. They let me know that they had a couple of triathletes who were tired of getting beat by cross fitters join the gym and train with them for a couple of months. The improvements that they saw most were: speed on the bike increased, injuries lessened and endurance increased despite the reduction in endurance training. I was baffled! So... needless to say, I might be looking a little more into this cross fit thing. ;-)

Thanks for checking on CrossFit for me.  Here are my thoughts so far.  First, I like that the workouts include some weights, some strength and conditioning and two swim, two run, and two ride workouts per week.  The weights and strength and conditioning parts definitely work muscle groups used in triathlons, so that is good.  I also like that the workout are split.  This allows me to do weights/strength and conditioning in the morning and one of the three sports in the evening.  I also like that the most of the workouts can be done in an hour or less including warmup, cool down and change.

Here is my one caution:  the weights are fairly complex, lots of cleans, jerks, push presses, etc.  Further, the recommended weights and some exercises (i.e. chest to bar pull ups) are pretty high.  These are fairly technical exercises and if done wrong, can injure easily.  If you don't have access to a crossfit gym or trainer or don't know what your are doing (like me) that risk is real.  What I am doing is trying to use weights that I am comfortable and focus on my technique.  So while my weights were may not be that high, I remind myself that I'm building up and trying not to injure myself. 

Overall, I like it.  I feel that the workouts are challenging and building needed muscles.  Over time, I will probably mix up the swim/ride/run exercises to help build speed and distance.

For example, last nights swim was 4x200 each for best time with 2:00 rest between.  Tonight's run was 3 x 1mi with 3:00 rest between try not to have each mile vary more than 3-5 sec. 

This mornings strength and conditioning workout was For time: Row 1000m; 30 Thrusters, 115 (male)/75 (female) pounds; Row 1000m (Sub for rowing is 800m run.)  Tomorrow's strength and conditioning workout is:

STRENGTH WOD:

MaxEffort: Push Jerk or Split Jerk

5-10 minutes rest then CFE S&C WOD.

CFE STRENGTH & CONDITIONING WOD:

Five rounds of:

Push Press, 5 reps @ 65% of 1RepMax

M.E. Dead Hang Pull ups

I will keep you updated on how I think the workouts are working on my time/speed/distance.

2012-02-15 7:27 AM

Expert

Whew!!!!!! Now I know why they call 'em bricks.  Dang it felt like my legs we're made of bricks for about the first half mile off the bike.  Definately a wake up call.  Felt good to complete it though and to get a feel for what I'm headed too. 

An hour on the bike and 10 mins on the run.  All I could think about on the bike was "don't smoke your legs, don't smoke your legs"....but not knowing if I was working them too hard was tough.  Don't know if the dead legs are typical coming off the bike, or if I overcooked my legs.  I suppose time and training will tell.  Legs came back to me over the second half of the run though.

Foggy, is it typical to have the dead legs for about the first 1/2 mile off the bike?

2012-02-15 8:32 AM
in reply to: #4048410

2012-02-15 9:15 AM

Expert

Also adjusted my Adamo saddle.  Slid it all the way back and dropped the seat post a hair and it made all the difference.  Just a two rides in and I'm loving it, makes such a difference to your riding comfort.  By far the best investment in the bike since the bike itself.

On a side note when I got it my wife remarked how small (narrow) it was.  I explained that this was the Typhoon and the widest seat base they carry, to which she asked if I was going to be able to ride on it.  It dawned on me a short time later that my wife just called me a fat*$$.  Just a humorous story I thought I'd relate.

On that note I'm down another 3 lbs. and 14 overall since the start of the new year.  Just about 1/2 way to my target weight of 220.

2012-02-15 11:59 AM
in reply to: #4048658

2012-02-15 12:05 PM
in reply to: #4046773

2012-02-15 1:16 PM

2012-02-15 4:31 PM

Regular
New York
No training lately because I got sick again last Friday into the weekend. Yay fever! Finally started to feel better last night, went to my first shift at the cupcake place and I realized that cupcakes/cookies/all that stuff is just too sweet for me. So I think they're going to function as their own deterrent. Should be jumping back into training Friday. *Fingers crossed*
2012-02-15 4:46 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Welldone on the weight loss!!

Although I felt alright Mon/Tue I gave myself a rest due to the heavy weekend, still have a strain on one of muscle at the top of the caft from my 40 mile cycle (think the saddle was a fraction to high) but icing over the alst couple fo days has helped a lot.

Went for a swim this evening and you would have thought it was my first time in the pool, swam 900m and I was all over the place so I went back to doing a few drills. My energy levels felt low so I finished up 300m short of my target.

I'm very hit and miss with my swimming, some days it feels effortless and others I can hardly pull a stroke, still looking forward to heading back down on Friday with the pullbouy.

2012-02-15 8:50 PM

Veteran
Toronto, Canada

I missed yesterdays workout for 2 reasons:  1) my son was sick and was looking for 'DADA' since 7pm.  He calls and I run...he's my life.

2)  My pedals FINALLY come in from probikekit.com  Ordered Shimano Ultegra Carbon pedals.  Put them on and they are AWESOME!  Threw it on the trainer and got a feel for it.

So since my little guy was sick, I took a half day off of work today to take care of him.

He needed to get out of the house so I got a nice 5k run in with him in his Chariot stroller.  He fell asleep in it and I felt REALLY good on the run.  About 4 minutes quicker than I normally run (without a stroller!).

Since I missed yesterdays workout I felt like I HAD to throw in a double workout so I did a Insanity workout and now I feel DEAD.  Good Feeling. Tongue out

Edited by 2paz 2012-02-15 8:51 PM

2012-02-16 12:43 PM
in reply to: #4049073

Veteran
Minneapolis
FoggyGoggles - 2012-02-15 12:05 PM
QueerDrummer - 2012-02-14 10:57 AM
FoggyGoggles - 2012-02-11 9:12 PM

QueerDrummer - 2012-02-11 12:44 AM ...and now I'm winding down the end of a very long day. But I had an epiphany. Froggy, we shouldn't look at it as 5 weeks to a Sprint - more like 18 weeks to an almost-Olympic. This is my first season attempting more than one tri, so i didn't see the interconnectedness.

I like the *mental* training you put in today, sir! Well done.

What is the date that you are looking at the Sprint and  Oly... and which races? If they are spread out enough then we can ramp you up to the Sprint with enough conditioning to jump onto an Oly with 10 to 12 weeks to go. 

May 5 - Alexandria Chain of Lakes Sprint (600yd pool swim/12.5 mile bike/2.8 mile run)

August 5 - Duluth Brewhouse Triathlon (.8 mile lake swim/21 mile bike/5 mile run)

I can start tri-specific training for the Sprint on April 1 - I've continued to swim & run sprints 1-2x weekly during my 3-month weight training program, but I haven't biked in months so I suppose I should focus on that in the beginning? Would love to hear any recommendations/suggestions. Since this is only my 2nd & 3rd tri's ever, I've only ever done one training approach and it was a "finish-with-a-smile" type approach. Excellent experience & I'm ready to push a bit harder this time, I think.

With 13 weeks between the two races, I think we can put together a plan for each. You only have 11 weeks until your first race and only 5 weeks for tri-specific training if you're starting 04/01. (The good part about the early race is it's in the pool and you're comfortable with that environment.) Do you have a trainer at home... and would your partner be okay with you getting a spin in on it for about an hour three times a week? It would do you a lot of good to build the bike base back up ASAP.

Foggy - I don't have a trainer, but I'll aim for getting my bikes tuned up this weekend. Given the recent weather (yesterday's snow/sleet aside) I can just start biking to & from work. It's not far at all, but it will do wonders for rehabbing my lazy bike muscles. I actually imagine my recent weight training will help a lot too. I also just found out a buddy who I never see is an avid distance biker, and I also found a new tri-training buddy who is running slightly faster than me, and is probably around the same fitness on the bike so I'll have real, live training buddies for the first time ever! ok, so my homework this week is to get the bikes in working order. Next week I will aim to start riding again! Also, my weight training program shifts as of Sunday, with more focus on upper body & less on legs. That will leave my legs "free" to bike more.

Fit in a short swim workout over lunch yesterday! 900m, 31 minutes including warm up & cooldown:

100 EZ warm up
2x150 free
2x100 IM
2x50 Sprint free
2x50 Sprint non-free
100 EZ cooldown

Actually felt really fatigued this morning weight training, due either to the IM (I love swimming fly but it kicks my butt!) or maybe I didn't eat enough yesterday...

2012-02-16 1:00 PM
in reply to: #4048658

Veteran
Minneapolis
dsand97 - 2012-02-15 9:15 AM

On that note I'm down another 3 lbs. and 14 overall since the start of the new year.  Just about 1/2 way to my target weight of 220.

CONGRATS on the weight loss! I'm right behind you with an overall -12 since January 1. I'm holding steady right around 155, which is my lowest adult weight and my race weight from last year. I'd love to see 150 this year, but it's just a waiting game now. I'm giving myself another 6 weeks or so of eating at a deficit, and then I'm gonna bump it up to maintenance once I start a regular swim/bike/run training plan...

2012-02-16 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4051080

2012-02-16 4:44 PM

Veteran
N.Ireland

Interested in keeping tabs on your HIM training, the Galway HIM is on end of Sept and I'm thinking its a possibility.

Plenty of duathlons, sprints and Oly tri's to make my mind up before hand.

Great swimming by the way Foggy, not sure what's happened to me this week went for a speed run this morning and got 2 miles into a 3 mile run and just stopped and walked home, lol, was running a 6.38 pace though. Spent the evening stuffing my face on the sofa and ENJOYED it

Have a busy March scheduled which I'm looking forward to, will be taking each event as a training session, nothing serious....

March 4th - Carlingford Half Marathon
March 11th - Sportman Duathlon

March 18th - John jo's 10K

March 25th - Larne Half marathon

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FoggyGoggle's Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 32