BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-01-08 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
Ok, so after reading what you guys posted about the 910 cadence issue and wasting an hour or 2 researching it on the internet I come home and am going to just start over.  Turn on the computer, have it search for cadence/speed sensor and now it works fine.  IDK, I know I have done that at least a dozen times before.  Spin it up through many different RPM's and works great.  You watch, Thursday when I get on the bike again it wont work!  Foot in mouth

2013-01-08 5:20 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
To those of you headed to Disney for your races, safe travels!!  Let us know if you can or will be checking in while you are there! 
2013-01-08 5:54 PM
in reply to: #4568750

User image

Expert
San Jose

Meulen - 2013-01-08 2:38 PM Camp is in late April. Should be a good kick off to my season. I plan on racing a little more this year than I did last. The Palos HM is 2 weeks after camp, then 2 weeks later is xterra ft Custer, then Kansas 70.3! Then there's a month before Muncie 70.3. Not sure which race I'm doing before that yet. I'll finish the year up with USAT nationals and Naperville sprint. Maybe another xterra. Unless of course I magically win a spot in Vegas! Lol

Sounds like a great year! Are USAT nationals in Wisconsin?

2013-01-08 8:36 PM

User image

New user
Wow--that was interesting! First time trying the tri bike on the rollers...not quite as bad as I thought it would be, but a bit scary. Actually more comfortable in the aero position than sitting up, but a little sketchy transitioning into the aero bars. Managed 30 minutes--and it was pretty much an exercise entirely of bike handling skills. Amazing how using the rollers accentuates how slight adjustments cause huge shifts in movement. Bike needs a tune up and the gears aren't shifting right, so I was limited in being able to create a challenging exercise ride. The challenge if staying upright was enough for tonight!
2013-01-08 11:46 PM
in reply to: #4568661

User image

Master
Sin City
RunningJoke - 2013-01-08 1:44 PMSmall successes...my training plan has me doing some timed testing this week, which I generally try to get out of, but I did a 1000 yard time trial in the pool and decreased my average 100 speed by 10 seconds since last May!!  Now I'm trying to figure out how that happened...
Nice job!!!!
2013-01-09 4:47 AM
in reply to: #4569053

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rquinn23 - 2013-01-08 9:36 PM Wow--that was interesting! First time trying the tri bike on the rollers...not quite as bad as I thought it would be, but a bit scary. Actually more comfortable in the aero position than sitting up, but a little sketchy transitioning into the aero bars. Managed 30 minutes--and it was pretty much an exercise entirely of bike handling skills. Amazing how using the rollers accentuates how slight adjustments cause huge shifts in movement. Bike needs a tune up and the gears aren't shifting right, so I was limited in being able to create a challenging exercise ride. The challenge if staying upright was enough for tonight!

That has been my challenge with the rollers.  Just moving to get from the wall to the bars causes enough movement that I get nervous and grab the wall again! 

Great job get the ride in!

2013-01-09 4:49 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Ok, to all of you that posted goals of getting up early to train!!  WAAKKKEEE UUUPPPPP!!!! Smile

It's time to get going! 

2013-01-09 5:30 AM
in reply to: #4569344

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
kenj - 2013-01-09 10:49 AM

Ok, to all of you that posted goals of getting up early to train!!  WAAKKKEEE UUUPPPPP!!!! Smile

It's time to get going! 

That's great Ken, its 11.30 am in the uk. A very civilized time to get up I think - ha ha.

2013-01-09 6:17 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Wakeee? Been up since 4am already!?? glad I didn't have a workout yet today. On the train reading a book. I got kettlebell a and a bike ride after work tonight! ?? Happy Hump day!
2013-01-09 7:23 AM
in reply to: #4568555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Meulen - 2013-01-08 3:50 PM

I just booked my hotel for training camp in Monteray, CA today.  I'm pretty pumped to do this camp with my coach.  Gonna hurt, getting out of IL and into those mountains!!!!! Sealed

That sounds great Brian! How long will you be out there?
2013-01-09 7:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
kenj - 2013-01-09 5:49 AM

It's time to get going! 

I DID IT!!! Two days in a row I've been up at 5:45! Yesterday I was up for a run. Today it was because I was staying at the girl I've been seeing's house about an hour from work (today will be my off day). Hopefully I can make it three days in a row tomorrow!

Happy hump day!

2013-01-09 7:37 AM
in reply to: #4568631

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
RunningJoke - 2013-01-08 4:29 PMBill, I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and the most important thing that let's me get my training in is a gym with childcare facilities.  I drop them off for duck, duck, goose and games in the gym and go get my workout in, then I take them swimming.  My gym lets people "try" out the facilities for 3-5 days without charge, maybe there's something similar in your area?  Good luck!
Thanks! Yes, our gym does have a Kids Club that is included with our membership. My wife usually takes them and they love it especially our 2 year old who guets to care for the babies (any creature smaller than her). She's like the honorary mayor of that gym. They have fickle hours and I try to avoid being there with other people, but starting Friday, I'll definitely use it how i can.
2013-01-09 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees

Can anyone recommend any books/internet sites that describe road bike maintenance for an absolute beginner?  I admit that in the last 2 years I have treated my, rather nice, trek bike like my car, ie got on it rode, around then put it away.  I have had it serviced a couple of times but anything else my partner has dealt with (he likes using spanners - I let him). However there are a couple of reasons I need to change my ways,

a) this is the first year I have redden my bike outside in the winter. It is getting horrendously muddy. This wouldn't be so bad if the frame wasn't white or I didn't have to man handle it in and out of my car every so often. Also - I notice that in general, triathletes seem very hot on keeping their bikes clean.  I have washed it down a couple of times now with weak detergent but I don't know if it's ok to wash down the cables and I can't get in around the chain, and should I be mixing detergent with oil?  I have sent off for some 'muc-off' from the internet

b) On reading autobiographies and race reports on here it seems that flat tires/ bike problems are not unusual on long races - I do need to learn how to put my chain beck on/ change an inner tube at the very least.

Please don't' be too derogatory in your replies - just be glad you're not my car!!

jennifer

Also, well done Zee for getting up horrendously early twice in a row!

2013-01-09 8:00 AM
in reply to: #4569470

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
bdenehy - 2013-01-09 7:23 AM
Meulen - 2013-01-08 3:50 PM

I just booked my hotel for training camp in Monteray, CA today.  I'm pretty pumped to do this camp with my coach.  Gonna hurt, getting out of IL and into those mountains!!!!! Sealed

That sounds great Brian! How long will you be out there?

4 days of training in the mountains.  2 of the rides are over 100 miles!! Sealed The Sea Otter is going on when we arrive.  Some of the crew will be racing in that.  There is a bunch of different bike disciplines to race at that event.  I'm going to hit up the expo and skip the racing though.  The only race I had interest in was an MTB race, and I don't feel like shipping 2 bikes out there.

2013-01-09 8:10 AM
in reply to: #4568808

User image

kenj - 2013-01-08 6:20 PM To those of you headed to Disney for your races, safe travels!!  Let us know if you can or will be checking in while you are there! 

Thank you!!! I sure will be checking in. Ill be lounging around on Saturday so what better way then to continue race/train planning!!

2013-01-09 8:13 AM
in reply to: #4569504

User image

Veteran
jennifer65 - 2013-01-09 8:43 AM

Can anyone recommend any books/internet sites that describe road bike maintenance for an absolute beginner?  I admit that in the last 2 years I have treated my, rather nice, trek bike like my car, ie got on it rode, around then put it away.  I have had it serviced a couple of times but anything else my partner has dealt with (he likes using spanners - I let him). However there are a couple of reasons I need to change my ways,

a) this is the first year I have redden my bike outside in the winter. It is getting horrendously muddy. This wouldn't be so bad if the frame wasn't white or I didn't have to man handle it in and out of my car every so often. Also - I notice that in general, triathletes seem very hot on keeping their bikes clean.  I have washed it down a couple of times now with weak detergent but I don't know if it's ok to wash down the cables and I can't get in around the chain, and should I be mixing detergent with oil?  I have sent off for some 'muc-off' from the internet

b) On reading autobiographies and race reports on here it seems that flat tires/ bike problems are not unusual on long races - I do need to learn how to put my chain beck on/ change an inner tube at the very least.

Please don't' be too derogatory in your replies - just be glad you're not my car!!

jennifer

Best place I have found to be honest is youtube. I have been wrenching on my own bikes for decades and when a new gadget comes out, that is where I go to for explanation. It is usually easier for me to view it on a video.

Flats are pretty common for what I can tell on races. I had a flat myself on my half last year. Fortunately I am pretty quick to repair them. I recommend lots of practice when it comes to flat repair, specially if you are using a Co2 cartridge.

Buying tip: I buy the cartridges that are used on pellet guns at Walmart. You can get 6 of them for what one will cost you at the bike shop. Granted, they have less air, but it is enough to get you 90 PSI. Also have to make sure you are not using the screw in type of cartridge that has tread on it.

Bike tip: invest in a chain catcher for your bikes. they pretty much do away with the concern of a drop chain, plus, the potential frame damage that can come from a drop chain on a carbon frame.

2013-01-09 8:13 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
jennifer65 - 2013-01-09 7:43 AM

jennifer

Jennifer,

Some of us maintain and have even built our own bikes.  I'm sure someone will have an answer if you have a question.

I use a detailer spray and a rag, like Meguire's quick detailer, to clean my bike after rides.

http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.do?q=4577

It's super easy, just spray and wipe with a soft cloth. 

If it gets really bad from a rainy ride I'll hose it down.  But after, you have to make sure to flip the bike upside down, backwards and every which way to get all the water out of where it's not supposed to be.  Then you should lube the chain and cables back up again.  I lube my chain about every week or week and a half.  I guess really about every 100 miles.  When I lube, I pour it on then let it sit for 5+ minutes.  Lastly I take an old rag and run the chain through, moving the pedals backwards for a few minutes moving spots on the rag when the grease loads it up.

Utilize YOU TUBE!!  they have instructionals on just about anything you want to do.

2013-01-09 8:19 AM
in reply to: #4569471

User image

Veteran
zee744 - 2013-01-09 8:24 AM

It's time to get going! 

I DID IT!!! Two days in a row I've been up at 5:45! Yesterday I was up for a run. Today it was because I was staying at the girl I've been seeing's house about an hour from work (today will be my off day). Hopefully I can make it three days in a row tomorrow!

Happy hump day!

Pretty awesome that you can do that. I have problems getting out of bed... I really need to practice that at least once a week.
2013-01-09 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY

jennifer

Sheldon Brown is a good resource as well. Youtube has given me a lot of info like everyone said. I plan on using both once I continue my build. 

2013-01-09 8:33 AM
in reply to: #4569572

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY
ramiedd - 2013-01-09 9:19 AM
zee744 - 2013-01-09 8:24 AM

It's time to get going! 

Happy hump day!

Pretty awesome that you can do that. I have problems getting out of bed... I really need to practice that at least once a week.

That's the problem...I can't! I had to force myself yesterday since it was literally my ONLY option for a workout. I can stay up all night regardless of sleep (just not when I'm driving sometimes apparently Frown) but waking up early is an issue even if I have plenty of sleep. Best thing to do is try and make a habit of it. I've always heard 21 days. For instance, work out for 21 days in a row and you basically feel bad if you don't work out after that. 

2013-01-09 9:00 AM
in reply to: #4569359

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
jennifer65 - 2013-01-09 6:30 AM
kenj - 2013-01-09 10:49 AM

It's time to get going! 

That's great Ken, its 11.30 am in the uk. A very civilized time to get up I think - ha ha.

I will send you a wake up before I go to bed tonight Jennifer!

2013-01-09 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4569389

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Meulen - 2013-01-09 7:17 AM Wakeee? Been up since 4am already!?? glad I didn't have a workout yet today. On the train reading a book. I got kettlebell a and a bike ride after work tonight! ?? Happy Hump day!

Have good workout tonight!

That is early though to start the commute!

2013-01-09 9:02 AM
in reply to: #4569343

User image

Expert
San Jose
kenj - 2013-01-09 2:47 AM

rquinn23 - 2013-01-08 9:36 PM Wow--that was interesting! First time trying the tri bike on the rollers...not quite as bad as I thought it would be, but a bit scary. Actually more comfortable in the aero position than sitting up, but a little sketchy transitioning into the aero bars. Managed 30 minutes--and it was pretty much an exercise entirely of bike handling skills. Amazing how using the rollers accentuates how slight adjustments cause huge shifts in movement. Bike needs a tune up and the gears aren't shifting right, so I was limited in being able to create a challenging exercise ride. The challenge if staying upright was enough for tonight!

That has been my challenge with the rollers.  Just moving to get from the wall to the bars causes enough movement that I get nervous and grab the wall again! 

Great job get the ride in!

Rollers are scary.

2013-01-09 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
kenj - 2013-01-09 2:49 AM

It's time to get going! 

It was 2:49 AM in California when you posted that. Still sleeping

Today's workout is a group ride with my Wednesday Women group. I'm usually the weak link in the group and I'm hoping we take it a little easy. I'll let you.

2013-01-09 9:15 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

jennifer

I have used this book in the past.  But, if you can check around your local bike shops, a lot of them will hold basic maintenance and repair clinics.  Since this will get you hands on experience rather than just reading, it may be of more value in the long run. 

Yes, at a minimum, you need to get comfortable changing a tube or putting a chain back on.  It happens all the time during races.  I volunteered in transition last summer for a race where it rained most of the day.  There were many folks that had multiple flats.  Most races will have a support vehicle on the course, maybe more than one, but they could be many miles away helping someone else and you wouldn't want to miss a cut off just because of a flat.  Not only do you need to learn, you should also practice.

This is the European outlet for a product I have used to prevent flats.  I havent used them with my race tires though, just the training wheels.  But there is nothing wrong with using them in a race.  Unless you are really worried about the extra few grams of weight.  HERE is the US version if anyone else is interested.  I have not had a flat with these in over 2 years of use.  (knock on wood!)

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64