BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 39

2013-02-21 8:52 PM
in reply to: #4632527

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Subject: RE: Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed
smithat05 - 2013-02-21 9:35 PM

Clempson - 2013-02-20 10:45 PM sorry for not posting in a while. no workout tonight since there is a snow storm.  getting a strain in my left quad, hopefully my flight isn't cancelled friday and i can roll it out for a saturday ride... supposed to be upper 60's!!!

I was more worried about what you said about your left Quad than your snow storm. 

just my 2 cents though,  sounds like you could use a night or 2 off your legs. 

eh i had a way worse strain last year; once i got a foam roller all was good.  i think it's mostly because a lot of my miles have been coming from the tread mill, which i have never had to run on before.

just want to get back home and back on my bikes.

2013-02-21 9:01 PM
in reply to: #4549367

User image

Cleveland OH

So kinda looks like Mon - Thursday are not going to be training days,  hopefully I can take full advantage of fri sat and sunday.  I really hope that I can squeeze in a workout earlier in the week but I am not holding my breath.  Tomorrow my wife and I are going to a fish fry then, I recently joined the Cleveland Triathlon Club and they are having the first meeting of the year tomrrow at the bike shop where I am going to buy my bike, so that should be fun.  I plan on swimming and biking tomorrow then running on Saturday, looks like it will be a high of 39 degrees!! perfect weather for running outside.

I drive a lot for work and I have found some awesome podcasts on Itunes.  Chris, "Macca"  actually just started one and then I really like Ben Greenfields podcasts.  It gives me inspiration while I am driving, wishing I could be outside running or biking.

2013-02-24 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Swim on Saturday morning.  Felt kind of out of it to start but ended up not being too bad.  Did some decent lengths, which is what I'm more concerned with right now.  Then went for a run later in the day.  First one in quite some time.  1 mile, very, very slow.  Foot felt good.  Then I went to a good local running store and picked the guy's brain for a while.  He put me on a computer, kind of scanned in my feet or whatever, we talked, tried on a bunch of different shoes and decided on the Nike Pegasus.  He said the Saucony Guide's that my wife got me are more stability shoes and I have a very neutral foot with some slight pressure on the outside (Lateral I think he said?).  I really liked the shoes with more flex to them in general.  Good to know. 

This morning did another swim.  Felt great the whole time and even swam for 10 minutes straight, which is huge for me.  500 yards non-stop.  Just had a good rhythm and felt like I could have kept going but I decided to stop.  I wasn't even out of breath like I usually am.  I was trying to control my kicking more so I wasn't wasting so much energy with a poor kick, and focused on feeling myself pulling the water by my leg.  I'm just getting used to the water which is a big thing for me.

2013-02-24 10:36 AM
in reply to: #4632557

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
smithat05 - 2013-02-21 10:01 PM

So kinda looks like Mon - Thursday are not going to be training days,  hopefully I can take full advantage of fri sat and sunday.  I really hope that I can squeeze in a workout earlier in the week but I am not holding my breath.  Tomorrow my wife and I are going to a fish fry then, I recently joined the Cleveland Triathlon Club and they are having the first meeting of the year tomrrow at the bike shop where I am going to buy my bike, so that should be fun.  I plan on swimming and biking tomorrow then running on Saturday, looks like it will be a high of 39 degrees!! perfect weather for running outside.

I drive a lot for work and I have found some awesome podcasts on Itunes.  Chris, "Macca"  actually just started one and then I really like Ben Greenfields podcasts.  It gives me inspiration while I am driving, wishing I could be outside running or biking.

Crazy hours and a young family are tough.  Have you done any workouts with the tri club yet?  I was thinking of joining one around here.  Make sure you post your impressions after you meet up with them, I'd love to know what a typical club does in general besides their general mission statements on their internet home pages.

2013-02-24 11:42 AM

Last week was terrible training-wise so I'm trying to get my head back in the game. Lots of swimming and running for next week!!!
2013-02-24 2:48 PM
in reply to: #4634865

User image

Cleveland OH
jonD81 - 2013-02-24 11:36 AM
smithat05 - 2013-02-21 10:01 PM

Crazy hours and a young family are tough.  Have you done any workouts with the tri club yet?  I was thinking of joining one around here.  Make sure you post your impressions after you meet up with them, I'd love to know what a typical club does in general besides their general mission statements on their internet home pages.

I attented the first meeting of the new year friday. This is their 10 year anniversary so they have a bunch of stuff planned.  They are going to have their own Tri this year! their first.  They basically have people who set up group swims, runs and Rides around the area.   People get together and do races together.  Have their own Jerseys and shorts with the CTC logo on it.   They are going to have a 3 day training camp for newbies.  A lot of experience in the Club, they actually had a pro guy from the area there friday to talk,  and there is a women going pro this year who was there.  I met a few people, was fun.  I am glad I went.  After the meeting we went next door to a wing place and talked for about an hour. 

2013-02-24 2:54 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

on friday, I did some interval work on the spin bike for 30 mins, then did 30 mins of strength training.

Saturday did 1800 yds in pool.  8x200 yds took 35 mins.  other 200 were warmup/cooldown.

today I ran 8 miles in 57:30.  29 degrees and snowing.  I was very happy with my time.

2013-02-24 2:57 PM

User image

Cleveland OH

The bike I  looked at on friday after the meeting.

Cervelo S5. 

I just don't like the price tag.

2013-02-24 8:28 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

ugh i've been wanting an S3 or an S5 for a while now. will definitely be my next bike purchase at some point... i try not to think about the price....

short brick today, 13 mile ride and 4.25 mile run.  had to cut the bike portion short since the baseball game in clemson was ending and i didn't want to be on the road with all the tailgaters, as it was i was mildly harassed for about a quarter mile by some guys in a pickup truck; should get on that getting a go-pro idea of mine.

2013-02-25 6:25 AM
in reply to: #4635001

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
smithat05 - 2013-02-24 3:48 PM

I attented the first meeting of the new year friday. This is their 10 year anniversary so they have a bunch of stuff planned.  They are going to have their own Tri this year! their first.  They basically have people who set up group swims, runs and Rides around the area.   People get together and do races together.  Have their own Jerseys and shorts with the CTC logo on it.   They are going to have a 3 day training camp for newbies.  A lot of experience in the Club, they actually had a pro guy from the area there friday to talk,  and there is a women going pro this year who was there.  I met a few people, was fun.  I am glad I went.  After the meeting we went next door to a wing place and talked for about an hour. 

That sounds really cool.  I think that's the general idea of the group around me, and everything I read is that they are really accepting of new members, even some of those like myself with a minimal skill set.  Your review makes me want to shoot this guy an email to see what's up.

2013-02-25 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
whew... just got back in town late last night! Now, finally, maybe life can return to normal!

2013-02-25 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4635011

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
smithat05 - 2013-02-24 3:57 PM

The bike I  looked at on friday after the meeting.

Cervelo S5. 

I just don't like the price tag.

Love the S5's, but yes the price is not lovable :P

2013-02-26 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Actually back in routine this week (so far anyways)

Got a run and a bike in yesterday and a good swim in this morning (looking to get a longer run in tonight)

Maybe the rough patches are over!

2013-02-26 11:07 AM
in reply to: #4637427

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Glad to hear it.  How's the hammy feeling?  I had a great weekend but didn't get after it last night like I should have.  The couch was too inviting.  Hit 5/7 days last week.  Bike tonight, swim tomorrow, then we'll see where that puts me.
2013-02-26 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4637484

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

Good 50 minute trainer session tonight.  The recent raise in FTP is great for my workouts.  I'm feeling every ride more and more.  I constantly have to dig down and push myself through which is awesome, I love that feeling. 

They're saying more snow.  Again.  I'm pretty sick of it.  I want to get out and run but the second the roads clear we get another storm.

2013-02-26 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC

got a run and swim in today.  going to shoot for gym/bike/swim tomorrow.

also it looks like i'm headed back to wichita on monday. for up to 4 months.  could be a death blow to my season and a few of my goals for the year.  on the upside the assignment could be huge for my working career.  should still be able to swim/run, and if i'm out there long enough i might just buy that cervelo i've been eyeing...

how is everyone else coming along in their pre season prep? first races are literally weeks, not months, away...

Edited by Clempson 2013-02-26 10:47 PM

2013-02-27 6:23 AM
in reply to: #4638483

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Clempson - 2013-02-26 11:46 PM

also it looks like i'm headed back to wichita on monday. for up to 4 months.  could be a death blow to my season and a few of my goals for the year.  on the upside the assignment could be huge for my working career.  should still be able to swim/run, and if i'm out there long enough i might just buy that cervelo i've been eyeing...

how is everyone else coming along in their pre season prep? first races are literally weeks, not months, away...

That's brutal.  What do you do for work?  When you're on assignment for a few months like that, do they house you or do you have to do the hotel/suite thing?  Hopefully you can still get in some quality workouts while there, and nothing makes a bad situation better than buying a new toy.  Just sayin...

2013-02-27 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4638312

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
jonD81 - 2013-02-26 9:08 PM

Good 50 minute trainer session tonight.  The recent raise in FTP is great for my workouts.  I'm feeling every ride more and more.  I constantly have to dig down and push myself through which is awesome, I love that feeling. 

They're saying more snow.  Again.  I'm pretty sick of it.  I want to get out and run but the second the roads clear we get another storm.

They're calling for snow our way too... although I won't even try to compare it to you guys!

Keep up the rides, sounds like it's going well.

2013-02-27 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4638483

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

Wow, back to Wichita huh. My condolences :P

Doesn't sound too bad even if you only get to swim/run. Of course, if you NEED a reason to buy the Cervelo, being in exile for 4 months is a good one

2013-02-27 1:11 PM

Had a brilliant run today because I hardly had to stop and walk at all :D I didn't feel particularly fit, just that I could keep on running and running. Was surprised because my training has been really bad and inconsistent lately!

Going away on Saturday for my anniversary for a long weekend so training will be even worse until next Wednesday!

2013-02-27 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4638595

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
jonD81 - 2013-02-27 7:23 AM

That's brutal.  What do you do for work?  When you're on assignment for a few months like that, do they house you or do you have to do the hotel/suite thing?  Hopefully you can still get in some quality workouts while there, and nothing makes a bad situation better than buying a new toy.  Just sayin...

aerospace engineer, last time i was there i was doing design for a small company, this next time i'll be doing structural analysis for one of the biggest aircraft manufacturers.  pretty much all the aerospace work in the country is in wichita right now unfortunately. yeah typically they try to at least get us a suite if its for more than 2 weeks, i got an apartment when i was up in seattle for 8 months.

and yes new toys make it better

2013-02-28 6:27 AM
in reply to: #4639597

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire

That's a great job.  I went straight mechanical engineering instead of aero, my cousin did aero and has a really good job working on a base in Florida with her husband who is in the AF.  It's a tough balance of life, you want to set your career path up now and have to put in the long hours accordingly, but you want to take advantage of your phsyical peak as well.  Hopefully you can find a happy medium for these extended trips.

I totally wussed out last night and skipped.  The Wednesday night swims just haven't been my friend as of late, and I was generally excited to swim too.  Just too tired, which is a lame excuse and now I'll kick myself all day today wishing I went.  Of course, what did I do with my night off?  Work on my race schedule.  There's this crazy part of me that wants to do this 70.3 in June that is about 2 hours north of me in the White Mountains.  Not only would the distance be a challenge but it's in the effing mountains, the bike course and run has to be crazy.  I wouldn't be surprised if the swim was uphill.  I'm thinking I need the motivation to work towards something, but maybe I should just sign up for one of my Sprints/Olys and work off that.  Sorry for the ramblings.

2013-03-01 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
New sneakers arrived today.  Finally I can get back to running and it's supposed to be in the 40's all next week.  Just made my day.
2013-03-01 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4639254

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Quintillion - 2013-02-27 2:11 PM Had a brilliant run today because I hardly had to stop and walk at all :D I didn't feel particularly fit, just that I could keep on running and running. Was surprised because my training has been really bad and inconsistent lately!

Going away on Saturday for my anniversary for a long weekend so training will be even worse until next Wednesday!

I love the good days :P

Have fun and happy anniversary!

2013-03-01 2:05 PM
in reply to: #4642352

User image

Champion
Knoxville area

jonD81 - 2013-03-01 2:23 PM New sneakers arrived today.  Finally I can get back to running and it's supposed to be in the 40's all next week.  Just made my day.

The ride is always nicer with new wheels

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Leegoocrap & Newbz rowdy Mentor Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 39