BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2013-02-10 8:35 PM
in reply to: #4613812

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING
DONOR711 - 2013-02-07 11:29 PM

Here's one that has baffled me for a few days.  Some pools are measured in yards and are generally 25 yards long.  In order to swim a mile, you swim 1,650 yards which is closest to 1500 meters.  This is only equivalent to 0.9375 miles.  The pool I swim in is 50 meters long, and if I swim 1650 meters, then I'm actually swimming 1.03 miles.  If this is the case, why is it that 1650 yards is considered a mile? 

Now I know why the US never changed over to the metric system in the 1920's.  This whole higher math thing can get confusing!

Don, that's actually a very valid question.  Nobody should consider 1650 yards a mile... it's not a mile.  Simple as that!

Matt

2013-02-10 8:37 PM
in reply to: #4616657

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING
katartizo - 2013-02-10 6:15 PM

Matt, what ist he benefit of using a pull-bouy? What drills incorporate it that you see as beneficial?

Thanks,

Bryan

Bryan, a pull buoy is used to elevate your hips while you don't kick, hence making your upper body stronger.  I would highly recommend incorporating one into your training if you haven't done so.  As far as drills, there really isn't one I would recommend.  Freestyle and backstroke are the two strokes most conducive to pulling.  Try doing fly and you will sink.  Breaststroke will take a LONG time to complete.

2013-02-10 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4612092

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
newbie99 - 2013-02-06 8:29 PM

Just checking in! 

I have only been able to do one of my REAL workouts in the past 1.5 weeks (respiratory virus and work problems preventing me from taking a lunch break for many days).  It's all good, though. 

MATT-here is the workouts my (ex/ powerlifter) wrote for me.  I'm posting them for everyone to read because they are quite comical.  Disclaimer: this is for kicks and giggles, don't attempt-for various reasons.   I asked him to write FOUR  20 MIN compound strength workouts.  I can't get any of them done in 20 min, he wrote five days, and he clearly forgot that I would be doing heavy bike and run workouts with these?!  BUT he is one of the smartest and hardest trainers I have ever known. I knew what I was getting in to, and that I would tweak them to my liking anyway.       ; )

DAY 1: CHEST

Floor press with sit up 3xF (fail)

DB Flyes 2sets of 8-10 mod weight

Flat push ups 2x20

Dips 2sets 20- between 2 benches or chairs

Max every 4th week 3 sets to F

Day 2: LEGS

20 rep Squats (2 Sets warm up)  3 sets  do 50% of body weight

20 rep Deadlifts (2 Set warm up) 3 total sets  70% of body weight

3 sets of calve raises - 20 reps

*do a 5x5 heavy max on squat every 5th week*

Day 3: cardio/weight training

-do as constant circuit-23 min

20 burpee squat w/25lb plate above head

20 dumbell front squat

20 jump jack w/dumbells in ur hand

20 wood choppers with dumbell

20 hanging leg lifts/roman chair

Day 4: BACK/BICEPS

Pull ups = Either 5 sets of 10 pull ups or 50 reps total with as many sets you have to use to get 50 reps. Do this with palms facing you.

Deadlifts done off 45 plate, or 3inch platform do ur bodyweight. 3 sets xF

Bent over rows 3 sets of 10-12 reps  MODERATE WEIGHT

Day 5: SHOULDERS/TRICEPS

5 sets of Military presses pyramid reps and weight 10,8,8,6,20 

Dumbbell side laterals 3 sets (f) heavy

Skull crushers 2 sets max reps

I really do love weights, but. . .       Anyway, I have already fixed the workouts so I can do them in 20min,  and maybe have a little recovery time for the muscle groups.   AND WHO DOES 50 PULL UPS I AM A GIRLLLLL ?!?!?     Funny thing is he knows I will try it, as stupid as it may be.   

JEN, I'm fixing to be right there with you on the pain and ibuprofen! 

EVERYONE TRAIN HARD THIS WEEK.  Next week you might have a virus and can't train.  LOLOLOL

April,

Thanks for the strength training tips- I love these.  I might create a challenge for myself next month trying to stick to this.  Keep us updated, and be gentle on the ibuprofen

2013-02-11 11:57 AM
in reply to: #4552506

Hello everyone.  It's been a crazy week.  I got my "new" used bike last week and a whole ton of other crap that I needed for it like a new seat and fenders.  Didn't sleep well after spending that amount of money even though I saved for it for 2 years and it was only $650 before the stuff.  Just the shock of the first purchase I guess.  I set up my trainer and the gsc 10 also.  Thank you all for your suggestions and the conversations on here.  I learned what to buy and how to set it up from listening to everyone.  THANK YOU!!  If I can figure out how to post a picture on here that isn't "too big" I will.  Every one that I have tried to post before gets rejected.

This weekend's workouts were swimming lesson on Saturday which kicked my butt but really helped.  Sunday was a 16 mile long run.  Two long runs left before the marathon taper.

Happy Monday. 

2013-02-11 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
As I was sitting on the trainer last night I was pondering the BRAN event and how I could turn this into a week of training. I figure that after the day's ride Sheri will be beat and want to rest. I plan to either go for a run or swim. If possible, I plan to swim before we take off for the day's ride to get a swim/bike brick workout. The problem I saw was that I will be pacing Sheri on the ride, which I think will be 3-4 mph below my average riding speed. I was wondering what would be the best way to get the most benefit out of each ride? My first thought was keeping the gears low but a super high cadence, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.
2013-02-11 11:46 PM
in reply to: #4617531

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TravelJunkie303 - 2013-02-11 11:57 AM

Hello everyone.  It's been a crazy week.  I got my "new" used bike last week and a whole ton of other crap that I needed for it like a new seat and fenders.  Didn't sleep well after spending that amount of money even though I saved for it for 2 years and it was only $650 before the stuff.  Just the shock of the first purchase I guess.  I set up my trainer and the gsc 10 also.  Thank you all for your suggestions and the conversations on here.  I learned what to buy and how to set it up from listening to everyone.  THANK YOU!!  If I can figure out how to post a picture on here that isn't "too big" I will.  Every one that I have tried to post before gets rejected.

This weekend's workouts were swimming lesson on Saturday which kicked my butt but really helped.  Sunday was a 16 mile long run.  Two long runs left before the marathon taper.

Happy Monday. 

We would love to see Dorothy!      first your pic needs to be hosted somewhere  like in an album on BT  or on photo bucket  or where-ever   (even facebook i think)   then you  right click    click "copy image location"  then insert pic via that Tree icon (insert image)    you should be set then.

2013-02-11 11:48 PM
in reply to: #4617749

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

stevesflyshop - 2013-02-11 1:57 PM As I was sitting on the trainer last night I was pondering the BRAN event and how I could turn this into a week of training. I figure that after the day's ride Sheri will be beat and want to rest. I plan to either go for a run or swim. If possible, I plan to swim before we take off for the day's ride to get a swim/bike brick workout. The problem I saw was that I will be pacing Sheri on the ride, which I think will be 3-4 mph below my average riding speed. I was wondering what would be the best way to get the most benefit out of each ride? My first thought was keeping the gears low but a super high cadence, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

I know what you mean, but I think the most benefit would be to not think too hard about it, and just enjoy the event with Sheri!

2013-02-12 12:28 PM
in reply to: #4617531

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
TravelJunkie303 - 2013-02-11 10:57 AM

Happy Monday. 

That happens to me all the time too.  I've found that if you upload to Flickr and post a link it'll work.

Did you really get fenders?

2013-02-12 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4617749

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

stevesflyshop - 2013-02-11 12:57 PM As I was sitting on the trainer last night I was pondering the BRAN event and how I could turn this into a week of training. I figure that after the day's ride Sheri will be beat and want to rest. I plan to either go for a run or swim. If possible, I plan to swim before we take off for the day's ride to get a swim/bike brick workout. The problem I saw was that I will be pacing Sheri on the ride, which I think will be 3-4 mph below my average riding speed. I was wondering what would be the best way to get the most benefit out of each ride? My first thought was keeping the gears low but a super high cadence, but I thought I'd ask the experts here. If anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it.

Personally I'd say raise your cadence in a lower gear to get your heart rate up a little.  Dave is spot on though, enjoy the time with SWMBO.  You'll enjoy the experience, and have some serious bragging rights, too!

2013-02-12 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I guess I should have tried to word that post better. I'm definitely focused on us having a great time. I told Sheri that whatever pace she wanted to go I'd be there with her. I also told her I'd appreciate it if she did not drop me on the first day.
2013-02-13 4:45 PM

Extreme Veteran

Ever have one of those days where you go to the gym and things just don't work right right from the start?  I sort of had today off and would be working from home - easy day of my own stuff at my own pace.  Figured it would be a perfect day for a long relaxed  session in the pool.  HAH 

Today:  I forgot my iPod so no music for the swim or run;
The pool was full of walkers, backstrokers, and chatting people - no way to share a lane with them
The strap on my goggles would not hold at all.  First push off the wall and they just rolled down my face.  They would not hold adjustment.  50 yards in the pool and that was it.

Did an easy run on the treadmill watching cartoons.

Hopefully Saturday's swim will be less eventful

2013-02-13 9:46 PM
in reply to: #4621315

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

What a day! Those water walker/joggers drive me nuts too, and the chatters Hope the cartoons were good!

2013-02-13 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4618457

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Glad you got the bike! Have you had a chance to get her on the road?

oriolepwr - 2013-02-11 12:46 AM
TravelJunkie303 - 2013-02-11 11:57 AM

Happy Monday. 

We would love to see Dorothy!      first your pic needs to be hosted somewhere  like in an album on BT  or on photo bucket  or where-ever   (even facebook i think)   then you  right click    click "copy image location"  then insert pic via that Tree icon (insert image)    you should be set then.

2013-02-14 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Just got a message from New Skin that they shipped my latest allotment of product out.  Hopefully I'll be getting it in the next week or so.
2013-02-14 9:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Did my first Yoga workout tonight. Thank goodness it was only half a session and the instructor had a date. I'm not sure I would have survived a full hour. On the bright side I have the corpse pose perfected!
2013-02-16 8:00 AM

New user
Singapore
Picked up my racepack for next Sunday's aquathlon (Feb 25). First race of the year!

It's a 750m swim and a 5km run. I was happy to see that the swim requires a short beach run halfway. Significantly increases my odds of survival :-)

Next week is also a recovery week in my training schedule so should arrive well rested at the start. Plan is to take it real easy on the swim and push a bit harder during the run.

Any wise words of advice for a first time swimmer?

2013-02-16 3:11 PM

User image

Round Rock

Picked up my race packet for the Austin 1/2 marathon tomorrow- this is going to be a blast! Wink

My wife is running with me and she is a better runner than I am. I am so proud of her!

Bryan

2013-02-16 3:14 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina
Good luck to you both and have fun! My only advice on the swimming is to focus on yourself and your pacing so you won't get overwhelmed. Sounds like a neat race. Let us know how the races go!
2013-02-16 3:15 PM
in reply to: #4623128

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

This made me laugh - and brought back some bad memories LOL Good for you though, it should really help!

stevesflyshop - 2013-02-13 10:29 PM Did my first Yoga workout tonight. Thank goodness it was only half a session and the instructor had a date. I'm not sure I would have survived a full hour. On the bright side I have the corpse pose perfected!

2013-02-18 12:57 PM

Extreme Veteran

After a week off for vacation and a week back at it, I feel like I'm on targer (maybe a smidge low) for my monthly goals.  Hit the pool today.  I shared a lane with a walker/wanderer and it worked out OK until she moved to my side to talk to someone and I plowed into her.  She was big and soft so no injuries and I just bit my tongue and kept going.

So, two things about pool swimming that I love:  I still smell like chlorine even after a shower (SWMBO is less fond of this) and my fingernails are REALLY clean.

2013-02-19 5:07 AM

User image

Still planning on doing 3 century+ bike events in a week in April (112 miles, 108 miles, 100 miles). I am also looking to add a half marathon in Luxembourg this summer. We'll see what else comes up.

Hope everyone is having a great training week. I did an hour ride yesterday followed by a 5k run and my legs are pretty much toast today. They feel heavy and I don't really feel like doing another hour ride this afternoon (as per my training plan). We'll see what happens...(knowing that I'll do the ride today anyway - I have a rest day on Thursday)!

2013-02-20 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4588913

New user
Singapore

smartine - 2013-01-22 9:50 PM Did not set out to do a time trial, but I felt pretty rested and since it was a short workout anyway I went 'hard' for 500m: 13m57s

500m in 12m28s today. So a slight improvement.

Still not very confident to complete the 750m this weekend during the aquathlon in a smooth way, but fears about not finishing have been put to rest.

One thing I am quite happy about is that today for the first time my watch effectively recognized my full workout as being swum in freestyle. No longer blocks of breast or back stroke. Could it be it's finally clicking ?

2013-02-20 7:58 AM

New user
Singapore

A completely unrelated question now. I am using the 20 week Olympic training schedule from this site to get ready for a race in May. This is a simple volume builder program. Definitely what I need for swimming, welcome on the bike but perhaps not for the running part.

Last week during one of the short runs I decided to push it a bit for 1km. Running fast felt awkward. It seemed as if my body forgot how to do it. I assume that's because I've been training exclusively in zone 2 for a while.

My end goal is to train up to half ironman distance this summer and at the end of the year. What are your thoughts on making my run workouts more challenging by implementing speedwork and training in zones above zone 2 ?

I have used training schedules from My Asics with success and am now contemplating generating one that will set me up for a decent half marathon in August.

2013-02-20 7:01 PM
in reply to: #4629713

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

I'm probably the last one to say anything about running, but I'm seeing a lot of success in my half marathon plan I think because of the speedwork and tempo runs. It's nice to do some runs just for mileage/endurance but also others at a faster pace and with more intensity. Plus the variety of runs is great. I'd say go for it; I don't think it can hurt to have separate training plans for each sport if you need them.

And great job on the swim!

smartine - 2013-02-19 8:58 AM

A completely unrelated question now. I am using the 20 week Olympic training schedule from this site to get ready for a race in May. This is a simple volume builder program. Definitely what I need for swimming, welcome on the bike but perhaps not for the running part.

Last week during one of the short runs I decided to push it a bit for 1km. Running fast felt awkward. It seemed as if my body forgot how to do it. I assume that's because I've been training exclusively in zone 2 for a while.

My end goal is to train up to half ironman distance this summer and at the end of the year. What are your thoughts on making my run workouts more challenging by implementing speedwork and training in zones above zone 2 ?

I have used training schedules from My Asics with success and am now contemplating generating one that will set me up for a decent half marathon in August.

2013-02-20 7:08 PM

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Question Matt, or anyone with advice Smile I love my new running shoes but am having trouble with blisters. I think my shoes are too tight at the toes and I plan to re-lace them tonight. I have had a blister on my right foot on the side of a toe and it won't go away. It hasn't gotten really bad, but it's always there.

Today after my run I had a blister on my other foot underneath a nail. The nail had been trimmed back further than normal and I think that was the problem - but this one is pretty painful.

So how do you treat blisters or get rid of them? And do you think too-tight shoes are the problem? Before when I ran I was having knee pain all the time, even at 3 miles, but I've done 17 runs with the new shoes up to 10 miles and only hurt once - so I don't want to give them up and I think all the extra cushioning is really working. But these blisters are a pain in the butt.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mcgilmartin's 2013 Mentor Group~ let's get swimming! CLOSED FOR TRAINING Rss Feed  

of 23