BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 37

2013-06-25 9:29 PM
in reply to: luv2bhealthy

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: The Week Ahead
Last weigh in is next Sunday.

Hope everyone has a good week!

(PT 6-23.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PT 6-23.jpg (34KB - 16 downloads)

2013-06-25 9:38 PM
in reply to: JREDFLY

I have not weighed in this week either because of travels. i will weigh in on the last Sunday.

I took my bike to the shop today after a poor mph ride. It turns out my seat was broken and needed to be replaced - no more excuses. except that it is very hot in Little Rock.

My first race in on July 20th so my goal over next 3 weeks is to remain consistent and focused.
2013-06-26 11:10 AM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Regular
Subject: splash n dash
I had a little race 750 swim/ 3 mile run. It went ok.

Have been doing some OWS getting acclimated to rougher water. I dont know why because all my racing is in flat little lakes and quarries!

IDK my weight but the doctors office showed a big loss from six months ago.............. so I guess the scale i use at the gym isnt too miscalibrated.lol

I hv been running/ biking about seven am. Thankfully i set my own work schedule and am working afternoons for the hot weather season.

Oh BIG NEWS A race promoter hired me to work events !!! This is so awesome for me because I can only afford to do one race a year and I LOVE being at races.

Welcome newcomers to group glad to have you.

My 2xU tri suit i just bought suffered a small tear out of stitches. 2XU said sure SEND it BACK.......

uh....I use it everyday so I guess I will make do......

Linda
2013-06-26 1:13 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: Another weekend is here...
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by JREDFLY

The improvement you experienced from kicking was that your legs were in the correct position and no longer acting as a big parachute slowing you down.  That makes the whole stroke easier and more efficient.

Keep up the good work in the pool.  Won't be any time at all and you will be a FOP swimmer!

As always, thanks Scott!!!

Excuse my ignorance but what does FOP mean?

2013-06-26 4:58 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

The improvement you experienced from kicking was that your legs were in the correct position and no longer acting as a big parachute slowing you down.  That makes the whole stroke easier and more efficient. Keep up the good work in the pool.  Won't be any time at all and you will be a FOP swimmer!

As always, thanks Scott!!! Excuse my ignorance but what does FOP mean?

FOP = Front of Pack

It won't be any time at all and you will be a front of pack swimmer.  Next thing, you will be beating me out of the water I will have to begin to resent you!  Smile

2013-06-27 3:07 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

FOP = Front of Pack

It won't be any time at all and you will be a front of pack swimmer.  Next thing, you will be beating me out of the water I will have to begin to resent you!  Smile

Pretty funny! I don't think you will have any worries. I'll be happy if I am not the last one getting on my bike and even if I am, I will be proud knowing I stepped up and I am there doing it.

2013-06-27 3:09 PM
in reply to: charlotte hobbs

User image

Regular
North Carolina
Originally posted by charlotte hobbs

I have not weighed in this week either because of travels. i will weigh in on the last Sunday.

I took my bike to the shop today after a poor mph ride. It turns out my seat was broken and needed to be replaced - no more excuses. except that it is very hot in Little Rock.

My first race in on July 20th so my goal over next 3 weeks is to remain consistent and focused.

My bike is in the shop from an encounter a couple weeks ago with a free range dog. Hopefully it will be ready by Monday (at least that's what the shop told me). Needed the time to heal after wrecking the bike anyhow. The cuts and scrapes have motly healed except for the gash on my ankle and my shoulder still hurts like heck. I really need to get back in the saddle though. I have my next tri coming up 7/27 and I really haven't done anything since the wreck. The wife and I have signed up for a 5K on July fourth so we'll have that to do before it's over to my dad's for massive amounts of griled animal flesh and homebrew (another reason I got to get well soon and back to traaining).
I'm sure you'll do well. Like I tell myself when I come in bringing up the rear in my races in that given moment I'm (insert high number here) out of 331 MILLION. Makes me a winner everytime. :-) Good luck on your race.
2013-06-28 6:08 AM
in reply to: Bull

User image

Regular
Subject: racing ahead
its 6AM i am on deck this morning. was planning on OWS after leave indoor pool but its windy and my IBS is not so great will see how I feel in an hour : )

wt. 126

I am dealing with an oldish hip flexor issue and have been avoiding hills. My tri is called "the one with the hills" . Its not for three more weeks but i am debating switching for a flatter tri...or forcing myself to walk part of the hill during the race so I dont find myself sitting out of training for a while after that race.

What do ya'll think? I am balancing short term goals with long term goals. For past month the HF is not painful at all unless i really push it and I have not.

2013-06-29 5:43 AM
in reply to: dustytrails

User image

New user
Subject: good luck this weekend to those racing
Good Luck this weekend to everyone racing. And for everyone training, lets have some fun.
My plan calls for a "bike sandwich" today and OWS tomorrow.
Be safe,
Kay
2013-06-29 10:32 AM
in reply to: Kay Ewing

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: RE: good luck this weekend to those racing
Originally posted by Kay Ewing

Good Luck this weekend to everyone racing. And for everyone training, lets have some fun.
My plan calls for a "bike sandwich" today and OWS tomorrow.
Be safe,
Kay

Bike sandwich - I like it. Going to do a bike-run brick today. I am going to be patient and only bump up my run a little on Sunday for the week. I am chomping at the bit to run more but I don't want the IT Band injury to come back again. Also going to try my first open water swim on Sunday, wish me luck, I'll need it. Oh, almost forgot going to get my dumbbell wieght training in too.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!
2013-06-29 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hi All,
Hope everyone is getting some good weekend workouts in!

Race went well once it got started. Had two flat tires before I even got to the transition area. Thank goodness for the bike support folks cause I didn't bring a 2nd spare (note to self - always have a 2nd spare in the tri-vehicle). Weather was good though hot. Pretty challenging for a sprint course. I signed up for this one kind of last minute because I had conflicts on a couple that I usually do and wanted to race at least once this summer. Anyway, didn't quite expect the tough bike ride. I should have checked it out first but ran out of time on Friday when I picked up the packet. I was glad I'd been getting some good rides up the the mountains b/c this course was all up and down. Hand never left the gear shifter for long. All in all though, a nice course and a good workout. 4th out of 15 in age group.

For anyone who is interested, here is the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Stu

2013-06-30 4:08 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
congrats Stu sounds like that was a tough bike leg. fourth out of fifteen not bad.

How was your open water swim Mr. red devil?

I managed to "burn" my neck breathing every stroke on one side to avoid waves at my last OWS. Geez it was only 30 min.in the water.

My weight 126. sorry guys. Its been a tough past six weeks but im still ticking.

Where is everyone?? Haloooooo
2013-06-30 7:10 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
In at 175 which gives me a negative number for the Portly Triathlete (Hooray!), finally a decent week on the scale. I think it is going in the garbage after this weigh-in.

The OWS swim went well but was an awakening, water was 59 and I only lasted about 10 minutes. Going to have some work to do before my first tri on July 28th but I think I am going to be OK.

Had a great weekend been having a lot of rain so it was nice to see the sun for a little bit.

How is everyone doing in the Southwest with that heatwave, hope you guys are OK.

2013-06-30 9:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Weighed in at 249.6 this week.

How is everyone doing in the Southwest with that heatwave, hope you guys are OK.

Yesterday when I went out for a bike ride it was 111 degrees.  After just a few minutes, I was sweating buckets.  I went out intentionally in the heat of the day figuring the Kona qualifier in Louisville is in the mid 90's and I might as well get used to the idea.  Note to self: 111 is not 95.  Yeah, don't think I will be repeating that again any time soon.

2013-06-30 11:45 PM
in reply to: juneapple

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by juneapple

Hi All,
Hope everyone is getting some good weekend workouts in!

Race went well once it got started. Had two flat tires before I even got to the transition area. Thank goodness for the bike support folks cause I didn't bring a 2nd spare (note to self - always have a 2nd spare in the tri-vehicle). Weather was good though hot. Pretty challenging for a sprint course. I signed up for this one kind of last minute because I had conflicts on a couple that I usually do and wanted to race at least once this summer. Anyway, didn't quite expect the tough bike ride. I should have checked it out first but ran out of time on Friday when I picked up the packet. I was glad I'd been getting some good rides up the the mountains b/c this course was all up and down. Hand never left the gear shifter for long. All in all though, a nice course and a good workout. 4th out of 15 in age group.

For anyone who is interested, here is the race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Stu

Hey Stu--Nice job. Congratulations on a solid race. You have to feel good about 2/15 on the swim!

Steve
2013-06-30 11:51 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: racing ahead
Originally posted by dustytrails

its 6AM i am on deck this morning. was planning on OWS after leave indoor pool but its windy and my IBS is not so great will see how I feel in an hour : )

wt. 126

I am dealing with an oldish hip flexor issue and have been avoiding hills. My tri is called "the one with the hills" . Its not for three more weeks but i am debating switching for a flatter tri...or forcing myself to walk part of the hill during the race so I dont find myself sitting out of training for a while after that race.

What do ya'll think? I am balancing short term goals with long term goals. For past month the HF is not painful at all unless i really push it and I have not.

HI..sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I'd be careful with the hip flexor. Seems to me the large muscles heal slowly and a set back could knock you out for the balance of the summer. So even though you're not getting pain (unless you push it), that sounds like the injury is still not fully healed. I hate it when I can't train due to injury...but I hate it a lot more when I've re-injured myself by trying to come back too quickly.

Good luck.

Steve

2013-07-01 4:44 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: racing ahead
For you Tour de France fans, here is an article with links to some incredible old photos from the Tour. 100 years... wow!

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/pictures-from-the-fir...

James, no change on the weight for this week.

Stu
2013-07-01 9:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Subject: Race Report--Five Mile Lake Sprint Triathlon
Hi All:

I had a good sprint race on Saturday and then a very nice 90 minute recovery peddle around Bellevue, Washington on Sunday. My wife and I peddled around Lake Washington and the surrounding hills. Granted, I looked a little goofy just cruising along in my aero helmet and TT bike, but it was all I had on the road trip so it was that or nothing. But, it was a spectacular weekend in the northwest. When the weather is good here it's really hard to beat.

The race was fun. I won the 55+ age group and was 19th overall out of 193 finishers. The swim was short (450 yards or so) and I was decent (44th), which for me is actually good. I really screwed up starting out on the bike as I threw my chain not once, but TWICE. Talk about frustrating. I lost a bunch of time as a guy I beat out of transition by about 30 seconds passed me while I was standing over my bike putting the chain back on. It took me about 3 miles to catch him. But even with that I knocked about 15 seconds off my time from last year (22nd). I had very good run (21st). I clocked the 5K in 20:09, about a 6:30 pace, and cut about 10 seconds off my run time on the same course from last year. So, I was very happy about that. Overall, I was faster over last year in every segment of the race including the transitions, which gave me a time improvement of 1:22. Without the goofiness on the chain I would have had a spectacular race and knocked 2 minutes off my time. Cie la vie.

Next race for me is the Chelanman Olympic on July 20. So, two weeks of solid training coming up before leading into another taper.

Best of all, the Tour de France is back!

Have fun out there!

PS--Weight: 161.5

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2013-07-01 11:16 AM
2013-07-01 4:02 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Race Report--Five Mile Lake Sprint Triathlon
woo hoo Steve !! awesome.

Black dog mug???

I have to get new running shorts. Track work was difficult since the shorts are too big now.

Black Dog mug??

Hip flexor pain may have been referring from QL. massuese worked it today. Will ride a bike hill tomorow and check it.

Over 100 is not something u can acclimate too, even if u r out there all the time.

SCOTT u must b a swimmer, sheesh. LOL

2013-07-01 8:08 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
CONGRATS!!!! The winner of the Black Dog mug is Dustytrails.

PM your addy and I will get the mug out to you.

Edited by JREDFLY 2013-07-01 8:28 PM

(PT 6-30.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PT 6-30.jpg (34KB - 14 downloads)
2013-07-01 9:19 PM

User image

New user
Way to go Steve, very impressive.

2013-07-01 10:36 PM

User image

Regular

CONGRATS!!!! The winner of the Black Dog mug is Dustytrails.

PM your addy and I will get the mug out to you.

What? My .5 pound weight loss didn't win? I think we should extend it another month. I think I can drop another .5.
2013-07-02 5:33 AM

User image

Expert
Steve - congrats on your race! That 5K time is really impressive. I'd be doing cartwheels to run that time in a standalone 5K... all downhill... with a shortcut...

Tsvi - less than two weeks until Chris Greene swim. I haven't yet decided on the 1 mile vs. 2 mile. I presume you're doing the 2 mile (or both?)

James - thanks for putting together the weight loss challenge. Even if my outcome wasn't great, I was glad to be accountable to the group each week. Definitely helped me make a few better choices along the way.

Looks like my FIL will be doing a 5K on the 4th, so I've got a little field trip that morning. Doesn't really fit in my training plan, but it's always a blast to be out there with him (plus, how often do you get to feel like a kid at 53).

Have a great day, everyone!
Stu
2013-07-02 7:17 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

What? My .5 pound weight loss didn't win? I think we should extend it another month. I think I can drop another .5.

Great race Steve, Congrats!

I think the Portly Tri Challenge finished just in time for some diet cheating on the 4th. My neighbor makes these lemon squares for me every year and I donlt want to make her feel bad so I will oblidge and will eat 1 or 2 or...

2013-07-02 12:41 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Track work Tuesday
Good Morning all:

I joined the local running club for their Tuesday track session this morning. It's usually an evening workout but since afternoon temps are now 100+ it's been shifted to the morning.

Here's the workout.

One mile warm up followed by drills (high knees, butt kicks, side steps, etc.)

5K Group--8 X 400 with 200 walk jog recovery. Each 400 consists of a 200 at about half-marathon pace with a finishing 200 at 5K pace or slightly faster. This is then followed by a 200 walk/jog recovery.

10K Group--12 X 400 using the same HM pace 200 leading into the 5K pace+ 200 with a 200 walk/jog recovery.

One mile cool down.

What I like about this set is I can clearly feel the lactic acid building during the fast 5k paced 200, especially once I had 5-6 completed. But, the walk/jog recovery really allows time to get set for the next interval that can be performed at a strong, aggressive pace.

You'll know you got the right paces set if the intervals get slightly faster as you work through the entire set. Don't go out too hard and blow up. And as always, be CAREFUL on the track. It's extremely stressful on grey guy/girl legs. Any twinges of pain (other than aerobic discomfort) and the workout should be terminated.

Have fun and have a great holiday.

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guy/Girls Tri--Masters Sprint/Olympic Mentor Group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 37