BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2013-07-01 6:15 PM
in reply to: Jigger

User image

Veteran
South Shore, MA
Subject: RE: HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED!
Originally posted by Jigger

First tri in the bag. Race report is up. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Overall felt like a good race. Cut my heel during swim. Entering or exiting the water. Likely on the exit. Need work on the swim. Bike was good likely could have went a little quicker. Next race ill push it a little harder on the bike. Run was sub par for me put do to the fact that I cut my heel. The run wasn't to bad. Good race my wife decided to enter the race last minute. She beat me out of the water then I beat her out of T1

Great race report, I enjoyed reading it! Congrats on your first tri, you did awesome! That stinks that you cut your foot coming out of the water... It is so crazy, some of the stuff we have to run over/through in bare feet when doing triathlons... Rocks, glass, mulch chips... Hope your foot heals quickly!!

2013-07-01 6:18 PM
in reply to: kpringle

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Originally posted by kpringle

First tri in the bag. Race report is up. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Overall felt like a good race. Cut my heel during swim. Entering or exiting the water. Likely on the exit. Need work on the swim. Bike was good likely could have went a little quicker. Next race ill push it a little harder on the bike. Run was sub par for me put do to the fact that I cut my heel. The run wasn't to bad. Good race my wife decided to enter the race last minute. She beat me out of the water then I beat her out of T1

Great race report, I enjoyed reading it! Congrats on your first tri, you did awesome! That stinks that you cut your foot coming out of the water... It is so crazy, some of the stuff we have to run over/through in bare feet when doing triathlons... Rocks, glass, mulch chips... Hope your foot heals quickly!!

Thanks.
2013-07-01 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!
It was a great race report and a good tri- your paces were all really good and you placed well for a first timer. Good job!!! Sorry about your foot- but you still did great on the run!
2013-07-01 6:56 PM

User image

New user

congratulations Scott! even with back stroke and side swims, your pace is still faster than my freestyle pace hahaha.
2013-07-01 7:19 PM
in reply to: oldSAP

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Yea Scott! The first one is done and you had a great race!! Now you have an idea what you want to work on before the next one. Weird things happen during races like cut feet, bikes that won't shift and shin pains but you dealt with it all and finished strong. So did your wife TRAIN for this tri?? I can't imagine anyone just doing one on the spur of the moment if they hadn't been training !
2013-07-01 8:16 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by kpringle

Hi Beasties!

Hope everyone had a good weekend... I had a good race today. I PR'd by over 10 minutes, so I was very pleased!!!

The biggest highlight of my race experience today was I averaged over 18mph on the bike. That is HUGE for me as I usually average about 16mph!

The weather held out and was actually gorgeous - they had been predicting rain and thunderstorms. It was a spectacular day - had lots of fun seeing friends and racing with my sister-in-law (who actually beat me by 7 minutes, bi%ch! just kidding.) This is by far my favorite race... It has the best atmosphere, beautiful coastal setting and Team Hoyt (father who races with his grown son who has cerebral palsy) raced again this year which is always so inspiring to witness. For those of you who haven't heard of Team Hoyt, here's their website www.teamhoyt.com. So just a great day to experience!

Hope all you beasties are doing well!!

So glad to hear your race went well and you PR'ed the course!!! Way to go! And getting to race with Rick and Dick Hoyt! They are my heroes. I watch their videos on YouTube before every race! Again, way to rock your race in a most Beastly fashion!!

2013-07-01 8:21 PM
in reply to: Hildebeast

User image

Northern Ontario (near Lake Superior)
Originally posted by Hildebeast

Yea Scott! The first one is done and you had a great race!! Now you have an idea what you want to work on before the next one. Weird things happen during races like cut feet, bikes that won't shift and shin pains but you dealt with it all and finished strong. So did your wife TRAIN for this tri?? I can't imagine anyone just doing one on the spur of the moment if they hadn't been training !

If by training. You mean running a dozen or so times, a couple(maybe 6) times on the bike and two or three pool sessions with one OWS. Then yes she trained. She is active and does boot camp on a regular basis. I think she did great. Avg 15.36 mph bike and 9:36 mile run
2013-07-02 7:19 AM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Originally posted by Hildebeast Yea Scott! The first one is done and you had a great race!! Now you have an idea what you want to work on before the next one. Weird things happen during races like cut feet, bikes that won't shift and shin pains but you dealt with it all and finished strong. So did your wife TRAIN for this tri?? I can't imagine anyone just doing one on the spur of the moment if they hadn't been training !
If by training. You mean running a dozen or so times, a couple(maybe 6) times on the bike and two or three pool sessions with one OWS. Then yes she trained. She is active and does boot camp on a regular basis. I think she did great. Avg 15.36 mph bike and 9:36 mile run

Yes, she DID do great... sounds like she'd make a great BEAST!!!  Ha ha!

2013-07-02 11:59 AM

User image

Regular
Scott, way to go on your 1st tri! Ya did really good with some very impressive times-espcially the run. Now you've offically got the bug!
2013-07-03 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Originally posted by oldSAP
Originally posted by Hildebeast

And he says, "Do you have the receipt to the bike, I'm taking it back."  WTF, WTF, WTF???? 

Aren't I the most patient and sweet wife EVER????

to sum up your post in 2 sentences

ROTFL!

2013-07-03 8:10 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by oldSAP hi guys, is it wise to follow a sprint triathlon training plan as a start since i have never joined any triathlon event? or do i jump to an olympic distance plan?

If you have been training for a bit then the Olympic distance plan will work just fine.

2013-07-03 8:11 AM
in reply to: joes

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

So how often do you guys take your bikes in for a 'tune up'? I cannot believe how much better my bike is riding!!!Nothing i cna put my finger on, just shifting smoother, riding smoother etc.

I am kicking myself for not having this done right before my last race. I was wondering if I will need it again before the next one (first weekend in October)?

It is more of a hardship to have it done (financially) right before race because the next one is on the beach we are going to stay for a few days, but I can tell it would have been an advantage in my last race. Wondering if this is something I should set aside ($$) for or if it is something normally done once a year or so. I oil my own chain btw.

2013-07-03 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Originally posted by kpringle Hi Beasties! Hope everyone had a good weekend... I had a good race today. I PR'd by over 10 minutes, so I was very pleased!!! The biggest highlight of my race experience today was I averaged over 18mph on the bike. That is HUGE for me as I usually average about 16mph! The weather held out and was actually gorgeous - they had been predicting rain and thunderstorms. It was a spectacular day - had lots of fun seeing friends and racing with my sister-in-law (who actually beat me by 7 minutes, bi%ch! just kidding.) This is by far my favorite race... It has the best atmosphere, beautiful coastal setting and Team Hoyt (father who races with his grown son who has cerebral palsy) raced again this year which is always so inspiring to witness. For those of you who haven't heard of Team Hoyt, here's their website www.teamhoyt.com. So just a great day to experience! Hope all you beasties are doing well!!

Excellent!!!

2013-07-03 8:25 AM
in reply to: hoffsquared

User image

Expert
Falls Church

I enjoyed catching up on the thread this morning.

Everyone seems to be in such a good mood!

Janette --- OUCH!  It is amazing how fast it got so bad.  Glad that antibiotics have kicked in.

Scott --- Nice race.  It is neat that you and your wife did the race together.

Hilde --- What can I say...the husband bike sage is really pretty funny.  At least you are benefiting from all the trips to the bike store.  Love the helmet!

I am getting back into the swing of training after a week on Hatteras Island in the Outer Banks.  It was a big family gathering with 14 of us in one house.  A big house.  So big that we never felt crowded.  Was a very nice week at the beach.  I brought my running clothes but never managed to get enough motivation to put them on and head out the door.  The only time I got close to real physical exertion was boogy-boarding and riding into a 25mph headwind on a bike ride.  Other than that I never really broke a sweat the entire week.

This week my daughter, Casey, started an internship at a city farm in DC.  She is biking with me to my work, changing, and then taking the Metro downtown.  So my rides will be a bit more leisurely for a few weeks as she builds up some strength.  I will have to keep my bike in high gear to get a workout in.

I am also taking both girls to my pool twice a week.  We are all doing IronGirl Columbia in August.  Last night I took Shannon but did not swim.  Instead I did the StairMaster and a contraption called "Jacobs Ladder".  1 minute on, 30 seconds rest, repeat 10 times.  I was really sweating by the end.

(Jacobs Ladder.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Jacobs Ladder.jpg (9KB - 14 downloads)
2013-07-03 3:40 PM

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

So happy to see Melanie back!!  Jacob's Ladder sounds so biblical when it's clear that is a machine of Satan....

Melody, I take my bike in for a tune up about once a year... you shouldn't need another one before October I wouldn't think??  Maybe take it in just to have the gears tweaked to make sure they are still shifting smoothly... did you get all new cables?  If you did you should go back in about 100 miles to have them tightened a bit since they will stretch... this shouldn't cost anything!

Yes, hubby's bike saga is just hilarious!!  We'll see how hilarious when we get the final bill... I just stopped at the bike store today and they have the parts, now they just have to put them on and he'll have a Cervelo P2 road bike!!!  Supposedly Chrissie Wellington had something similar, so it can't be ALL wrong, ha ha!!  I noticed yesterday that the new handlebars have a much longer stem than the old ones... I adjusted the aerobars and such, but I'm thinking I will order the shorter stem, a mere $70!!  It just keeps adding up doesn't it!!!

I hope everyone has a super duper 4th of July (except you Canadians, you can just have some kind of regular day, just kidding!), and PLEASE do not play with fireworks!!!!!!  No big plans here except the pool is closed, so hope to get in a run and ride...

2013-07-03 4:10 PM

User image

Nothern VA
Hilde...

Just to help with the bike drama...if your hubby wants to add a pair of those aerobars you mentioned, the kind that flip up, I have a pair of Profile Design ones that I was saving for the end of year bike swap. They have a tiny piece of missing plastic from the underside of the left elbow pad (yes, I crash a lot.), but otherwise are in great condition. I had them my road bike, but even in the closest position, my arm length was too short to make comfortable use of them.

If he wants them, just holler. I'll ship them asap.

2013-07-03 4:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Miles City, Montana
Hilde - you can rest assured that I will not be touching fireworks! My leg is bummed and my belly is jelly so I won't be putting fire into my hands.

The leg is healing slowly. I still have a compression garment and medicated dressing. It feels better in the compression, but it still stings all the time. I haven't done much of anything physical yet, but I am hoping to get in little bike ride when I can consistently bend my knee.

My family and I are headed to the lake for a long weekend on a planned family vacation. I hope all of you enjoy the 4th!.
2013-07-03 6:53 PM

User image

New user
Originally posted by hoffsquared

Originally posted by oldSAP hi guys, is it wise to follow a sprint triathlon training plan as a start since i have never joined any triathlon event? or do i jump to an olympic distance plan?

If you have been training for a bit then the Olympic distance plan will work just fine.

thanks Melanie. training for an olympic and then joining a sprint event will give me a buffer
2013-07-03 6:56 PM
in reply to: Meljoypip

User image

New user
Originally posted by Meljoypip

So how often do you guys take your bikes in for a 'tune up'? I cannot believe how much better my bike is riding!!!Nothing i cna put my finger on, just shifting smoother, riding smoother etc.

I am kicking myself for not having this done right before my last race. I was wondering if I will need it again before the next one (first weekend in October)?

It is more of a hardship to have it done (financially) right before race because the next one is on the beach we are going to stay for a few days, but I can tell it would have been an advantage in my last race. Wondering if this is something I should set aside ($$) for or if it is something normally done once a year or so. I oil my own chain btw.

i'm one of those who never go for a bike tune up. i usually just clean the chains with kerosene and adjust the shifters and brakes myself, well with the help of Mr Google
2013-07-04 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Falls Church
Happy 4th to everyone! This is from an iPad so will be squished.I have a 4 day weekend due to the holiday, furlough day, and regular weekend! Just finished writing down my "To Do" list. Will be nice to be at home for 4 straight days with no work on the schedule. Hoping to get some really good training sessions in.
2013-07-04 8:34 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Happy 4th everyone!!! its a 4 day weekend for me too!!! Lots of training planed but I started mine by sleeping in till 8am- a once or twice a year occurrence for me- I actually woke up at 4:30 am out of habit but it was raining so decided to go back to sleep.

Hilde - Hubby's bike saga is funny- but at least you are getting to benefit from the situation. I LOVE your new helmet!! And your grandkids are adorable by the way.

Melanie- Jacobs ladder looks interesting and it is awesome that you will get to commute with your daughter and workout with them.How old are they? Also- I was in NC the same week as you!! Just not near the coast (I think) we had a trailways bus hired for the trip (it was a church youth group trip) so I just slept (all the way home) and read and let the driver worry about where we were :-)

Janette- STAY SAFE this weekend and rest up I have no doubt you will be back up to full speed in no time!

Charlie- I oil my own chain- the oil I have has a cleaner mixed in so you oil and then wipe, wipe, wipe, wipe. My bike shop guy told me to only oil about once a month and oil after a ride, let it sit and wipe good before the next ride. You tube is a huge asset to getting anything done (I fixed a bathroom shower faucet leek by myself and amazed my husband one time) Bikes are still pretty new to me (not that faucets weren't) I like the idea of someone more experienced checking it out once a year since I am flying down hills on this thing.

The bike shop guy replaced one cable. He said my bike is not hybrid, it is a road bike with flats. I asked about replacing the bars but probably will just sell mine at some point and invest in a new one. I have never had a fitting he said I may want one after putting on the clipless pedals- they do a general one for $40 so I may go back and have that done& have the cable checked.I got my computer on and my cleats on my shoes last night!!!! I just need to locate a 15mm wrench to do the pedals- (adult boys- tools go missing sometimes). So I will meet one of my goals learning to ride with clip-less pedals today!!!

I'm meeting with a trainer who does marathons and has done a few tris on Saturday who may become my coach. I am excited but it really will depend on cost & his plan. He asked me my goals I said I want to be as healthy as possible and to race faster. He said most of the women he trains want to look a certain way # 1 goal.  I don't think tri is the sport to get into if you are very vain because most look pretty funny in a bike helmet or bathing cap and goggles (lets not even get into how flattering spandex is), not to mention the bags the goggles leave around your eyes- plus you have a fraction of the time to do hair/makeup since you are training all the time lol. 

Edited by Meljoypip 2013-07-04 8:38 AM

2013-07-04 2:04 PM

User image

Middle Tennessee
Originally posted by Meljoypip

[/QUOTE

I take mine in once yearly for a full tune up. Cable adjustments or replacement, wheel truing, cassette replacement, etc. Before a race I always do a chain/drivetrain cleaning, bolt torquing, and a wash job at home. I'll do minor derailleur tweaks if my shifting isn't spot on. Before Ironman Louisville my super duper local bike shop is giving my bike a full going over. Having my equipment in tiptop shape is one variable I can control. As you can see I'm somewhat OCD about my bikes!
2013-07-04 3:44 PM
in reply to: shadow67

User image

Expert
Falls Church

Melody - I have my tri-bike tuned up once a season.  This year will be about two weeks prior to my "A" race (Nation's Tri).  My commuter bike has never had a professional tune-up since I've owned it.  I lube the chain and replace the brakes periodically.  In the fall it gets a good scrubbing.  I should probably take better care of it but I don't.  It gets alot of abuse and seems to handle it well.

Kristen - I have two girls (17 and 12).  It is the 17 year-old that is commuting with me via bike.  It will take a week or two for her to get some endurance up.  But she really enjoys it.

I got in a decent run today.  Hot and humid but I kept the pace manageable.  Tomorrow I am destined to have a great bike ride in the morning and swim in the afternoon.

2013-07-04 6:21 PM

User image

New user
i'm also thinking of getting a clipless. what kind did you have? shoes, pedals? shimano r540 seams nice for a new user like me because it's cheap and the reviews are great, costs $33.00 here. but then i saw the speedplay zero pedal but costs 120$ i think and i have to get them from the US.
2013-07-04 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Roll Tide!!

Originally posted by oldSAP i'm also thinking of getting a clipless. what kind did you have? shoes, pedals? shimano r540 seams nice for a new user like me because it's cheap and the reviews are great, costs $33.00 here. but then i saw the speedplay zero pedal but costs 120$ i think and i have to get them from the US.

I got these Shimano 105 pedals-this was for the pedals and cleats. The shoes were separate. I got these mainly because of cost, (and recommendations and really good reviews) though I like them so far. Clipping IN is very easy. Clipping OUT is a little more difficult, but hopefully will get easier with practice. 

If money was not an issue I would have gotten the Speedplays.  Hilde uses Speedplay - she can probably give you the pros on them.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEBEAST'S Mentor Group, CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 29