BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-05-19 6:17 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by chapfallen

Well done to guys on race results. Some impressive stuff!

Question for the group: Does anyone use music for cadence while running? I've been using tracks from Audiofuel for quite a while, starting with their "medium intensity" and then moving onto the "high intensity", however I'm now finding that the cadence is a little slower than I'm comfortable with (my "comfortable" cadence seems to have gradually increased). I'm looking for music that's about 170-175bpm but can't seem to find anywhere that I can search for music by cadence. Any suggestions?

Here are a few playlists that I came across on a quick google search:

http://jog.fm/users/kilgoretrout/workout-playlists/800-pace-170-bpm

http://www.remanents.com/blog/170-bpm-running-musi/

http://jog.fm/users/julieohnemus/workout-playlists/170-bpm-playlist

2013-05-19 10:44 AM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
2013-05-19 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX
Here is a little recap from Ironman Texas:

I will never ever forget the experience of volunteering and just being there in general. The energy is amazing, the athletes are amazing. My friend finished at 16:35. I got to visit with her for a minute then I decided it was best to head home - I still had over an hour drive!
I was able to catch the midnight cut-off. I've never been so emotional. One guy crossed at 16:59:12 and the next person crossed at 17:01
As we were waiting on Cherish at the finish line, one guy passed out and seized about 20 yards from the finish. He did not get to finish and instead was taken on a stretcher. It was awful to watch.
That is my recap. It was an amazing day, and no matter how bad I thrive to be an Ironman one day.... I will never do this one. It is brutal.

It doesn't take much to be inspired from watching Ironman in person, or heck, even watching Kona online. So I decided to sign up for next year. Ha, just kidding.
I have decided though, to take on some running. There is a local group that trains for the Houston Marathon in January - organized by 25 coaches. They put you in groups by time/ability etc. I think this is what I need. Just like for non-swimmers, you need some guidance, some training, some tips... I need the same for running. I need to learn proper form, how to get better, how to run in general. I look like a hot mess when I hit the pavement, so i figure it can't hurt!
They start in July, so until then I will keep truckin' on my training. And since last week was a bust with my daughter being ill, I think I'll start over, er, start. Tomorrow.
Because I don't have to have the extra swim time (not saying it doesn't hurt, it's just not a main focus for me) I'm going to replace one swim day with a run day. If it becomes too much, I can always add a bike day, or do the swim.

Happy Sunday everyone!
2013-05-19 3:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by slornow

Tay-if you are up on the run/swim you will be fine. Try to pick up on the bike but don't over do it to try to "catch up." Fortunately, biking puts less stress on the body so you can work back into it pretty quickly and maybe give yourself a week or two of cycling before getting back into the biking portion of the plan where you "should" be. Eleven weeks is alot of time. Stick with it and you will be more than ready.

Thanks for that, it's really reassuring. I forget that because the bike is not high impact like running you can increase volume quicker.

About music: After a while all the music on my shuffle got a 'tag' for a pace (marathon, HM, 10 and 5k pace) so when I want to do a faster finish on a long run I just skip a few songs... I have absolutely all kinds of music but Raps do seem to be good because of the strong bass. 80s songs are also brilliant Nothing like Bonnie Tyler lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCOPuGBg_W0
or another one of my favourites, you can't drop pace when Travolta starts singing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K54VMAmjNSk

Edited by tatous 2013-05-19 3:07 PM
2013-05-19 3:04 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
2013-05-19 3:14 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Great job Mike. Really nice result! Keep up the good work.

2013-05-19 5:43 PM
in reply to: #4724546

Karla-I had the same response to watching/volunteering at IMLOU. I walked in swearing that I would never do a full ironman and walked out committed to signing up. I volunteered off and on for two days (wow-the women's changing tent in T1 is an education!), then talked to one of Louisville's finest for an hour about doing anything to chase dreams and then experienced midnight finish. I cannot imagine any other ironman finish stacking up to that one (maybe Kona?). It was WILD! Ironman races have a special magic that I didn't understand until I experienced it first hand. Good luck getting back at it! Got in 3.5 mile run today. Missed the end of last week, but fairly happy with the early part of the week--couple of swims and a good 5-mile run. Longest run in months. I feel like everything is starting to come back.
2013-05-19 6:45 PM
in reply to: rallen12

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Question regarding OWS and sighting....how often? When I swim, I like to keep my facing staring straight down when I'm not breathing as it reduces tension in my shoulders. Sighting is a challenge as it causes fatigue in my neck shoulders when I lift my head to breathe and look. That said, is there a standard # of strokes that most take between that breath where you also look ahead to your sightline?
2013-05-19 6:51 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Welcome to Sunday evening!

Today I did my first duathlon! I felt pretty good all things considered. I wrote up a race report - does this link work?
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Nice job Randy and Mike. Loved your reports.

We all kick
2013-05-19 6:55 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Nice race results out there guys. Great examples of how to get it done.

Today was my 2nd lost race of the season. I couldn't resist but to check the race results. Shouldn't have done that. It just made me feel worse.

I guess I will have to live vicariously from all your races so you guys better keep up the good work!
2013-05-19 7:04 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Welcome to Sunday evening!

Today I did my first duathlon! I felt pretty good all things considered. I wrote up a race report - does this link work?
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/RaceLog/races-view-container.asp?...

Nice job Randy and Mike. Loved your reports.

We all kick

Randee I tried it and the link is not working. What race did you do?

2013-05-19 7:41 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Stuartap

Randee I tried it and the link is not working. What race did you do?

Huh. When I go to view the log it says draft - how do I "publish" it?

I did the Ten Penny Ale Shamrock duathlon in Glastonbury, CT

edit: do I have to make it public? how's this? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-05-19 7:47 PM
2013-05-19 9:09 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hello all-just got home from daughter's HS graduation. Beautiful setting on the bluff overlooking Mobile Bay. Any other day over the last month would have been wonderful.....tonight was warm and sticky. Exciting to see her and her friends moving on to the next chapter.

2013-05-19 9:17 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by Stuartap Randee I tried it and the link is not working. What race did you do?
Huh. When I go to view the log it says draft - how do I "publish" it? I did the Ten Penny Ale Shamrock duathlon in Glastonbury, CT edit: do I have to make it public? how's this? http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Randee that works! Sounds like a heck of a bike course. Good work...great to see you getting back to running.

2013-05-19 10:26 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randee I see in the race report a few times 'had a really good time'. I count that as a good race! The first thing I earned on this site was HAVE FUN. I am glad you did.
2013-05-20 2:17 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Calgary, AB

So -- I had a quite interesting experience on the bike.  Quite frequently I do a ride "up and down the road" -- the main drag near my house -- it's a country road, well paved, dead straight, rolling hills -- very popular with local cyclists.   Depending on when I turn around & back, it's in the neighborhood of 20-25 km -- not a long ride but a decent workout when I have ~50-60 minutes to spare.

I did this route twice recently -- once last Sunday evening, once this evening.  Exact same distances, exact same time of day, exact same temperature.  Key difference?  Last week's ride had brutal wind (~25 mph with gusts to 35).  This week -- quite calm.   A perfect experiment!

• Last Sunday -- total time was 56 minutes.  Average speed was 22.6 km/hr.  Top speed was 68.5 km/hr (wheeee!)
  • This Sunday -- total time was 48 minutes.  Average speed was 26.5 km/hr.  Top speed was 54.5 km/hr.

So -- there you have it.  Around here at least, tough wind shaves off about 15% of the pace.  Quite stark to see (and feel!) the difference.  

Scott.

2013-05-20 2:18 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Calgary, AB

By the way -- for folks who haven't read this article (NSFW) from the Onion...  you may recognize yourself in it.  Smile  A little too close to home!

Scott.

2013-05-20 4:44 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hoos

By the way -- for folks who haven't read this article (NSFW) from the Onion...  you may recognize yourself in it.  Smile  A little too close to home!

Scott.

Heh heh - I love the onion

HOORAY! I'm still smiling from yesterday. Could be to cover the pain my legs are in or could be because I had a good day LOL

Wake up all, time to go to the gym!
2013-05-20 5:38 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great race!!! Everyone has something to work on to improve. You'll get there!
2013-05-20 5:41 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

You had a great race! 23.5mph is smoking fast. Awesome run after too.

Is anyone else having an issue commenting in the actual race report?
2013-05-20 7:57 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by SSMinnow You had a great race! 23.5mph is smoking fast. Awesome run after too. Is anyone else having an issue commenting in the actual race report?

Suzy-I've tried to post a comment on a race report several times and always get an error message....

2013-05-20 9:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by Hoos

Scott.

As someone who doesn't do mornings, I shouldn't relate to that, but as I work more late and night shifts than early shifts, I do most of my sessions before work. So I guess that counts ;-)

Today I have a horrible cold. I'm wrecked after late shift weekend (always a busy one), so my long run has gone out the window. I'm taking it easy and taking lots of drugs in the hope that it'll only last a couple of days, and turning this into a recovery week... I can afford to lose a few days. I can't afford (with less than 7 weeks to go) to make myself REALLY ill and lose a few weeks.

But I'm taking the opportunity to do a bit of online research into tri stuff. I need a new cassette, so I've been trying to figure out if I've got the right ratios or need to adjust anything. After an hour or so of melting my brain I think I've decided that the current ratios are right for me!

I've also got my birthday coming up, and have decided I want to get a pointy helmet (I've got the tri bike, so I might as well go all out and have ALL the gear and no idea...). Does anyone have knowledge of what to look for in an aero helmet, or recommendations of brands?
2013-05-20 10:56 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Great Races one and all. I am really impressed with how fast everybody is and how much fun everyone is having.

Karla--Be careful. Once the Ironman bug bites you there is really only one cure. It's a hard cure...... When I started in triathlon I would have never thought I could complete an IM, that was something only super-human folks did. Well, I am living proof that average guys who struggle to finish their first sprint can eventually work their way up to IM.

Nancy--to answer your question about sighting, you need to sight as often as you need to sight. That is a horrible answer but it is the right one. For me it is highly variable. I had a race last year where I swam so straight I basically stopped sighting because every time I looked I was still on the same line. I hardly needed to sight at all. At IMAZ I kept drifting left the whole race so I had to sight very frequently. It sucked and slowed me down. I kept trying to fix it but no matter what, every time I sighted I had to correct my course.

A good plan would be to sight every 10 strokes or so. The goal should be to just get your eyes above the water level far enough to see. You don't need to lift your whole head out of the water. The swim coach I work with doesn't even want me to take a breath when I sight. She has me lift my head enough to see above the water and pick out my sighting point, do another stroke and then breathe. However, I am no expert on this. My go-to solution with all things swimming is to ask Stuart. Stuart, any tips on sighting?

2013-05-20 11:05 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Rachel-Aero Helmets? Probably the best bang for the buck in terms of "buying speed." As with most gear we wear it would be good to try some on and see what fits best. Slowtwitch recently had a review on the Bell Javelin which was favorable and I have seen last year's model of that helmet in the range of $160. Big issues for most, other than fit, are the weight of the helmet and the ventilation. Most aero helmets seem to be heavier than standard helmets and can be hotter since they have fewer vents. I have an LG aero helmet but cant remember the model...it has dimples on it like a golf ball . Another thing to consider with many of the newer helmets is whether you want to use a visor shield on the helmet. Some folks love them and others don't but I think almost all of the helmets allow the removal of the visor so its a flexible option. 

Short swim and run on the calendar for me today. Quads still sore after race and long run over the weekend.

2013-05-20 11:19 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Thanks everyone for the compliments, I was really suprised with the result, my goal time was 1:20 and my really happy time was 1:15. There really is something to be said for race day adrenaline. I took yesterday off and was planning on running this morning but my calves had other ideas. So the rest of the day has a recovery ride and my masters swim in store for me. Time to really start focusing on improving my swim and better consistancy with my run training, can't wait for my next race (although it's 2-1/2 months out).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88