BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-06-05 7:31 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED

Originally posted by mambos Yep, it's official! I am giving up training for anything and devote all of my time to making sure none of my kids grow-up...ever! Spent the evening watching my oldest sons baseball game and all is normal, I thought. Afterwards he comes up to me and says Dad can you hold my stuff, I ask him why and he says because he wants to go walk with his girlfriend! Huh??? Asked him again and got the same response, completely unacceptable! There is no way I am ready for this

OMG.... How old is he again? I think that's kinda cute to be honest.

2013-06-05 7:41 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79
Originally posted by DirkP

Originally posted by mambos Yep, it's official! I am giving up training for anything and devote all of my time to making sure none of my kids grow-up...ever! Spent the evening watching my oldest sons baseball game and all is normal, I thought. Afterwards he comes up to me and says Dad can you hold my stuff, I ask him why and he says because he wants to go walk with his girlfriend! Huh??? Asked him again and got the same response, completely unacceptable! There is no way I am ready for this

I am well past the boys walking with my daughters stage.  Now I am careful to make sure I don't accidentally shoot one of these boys while cleaning my firearms when they happen to stop over. 

I certainly do understand where you're coming from.  My girls are getting so close to being gone that it's almost painful.  Laiken informed Lis and I that she may be moving out soon.  We are still working to get her squared away for where to look for an apartment because she's almost completely interested in cheap and less interested in safety.  Enjoy the days while you have them!  They are numbered!

I've got a 10 month old girl and I'm pretty sure I can see myself just accidentally cleaning my service pistol when the first few boys show up. I'm hoping that's about 30 years from now. I can dream right.

My girls are 2 and 4. My husband (daddy) is 6'1" weighs about 235, benches almost 400 pounds, and is in law enforcement. I'm hoping that between me and him, we set standards high for our girls and that they will leave boys in the dust.... I know those boy crazy years are going to happen no matter what and I am hoping to take as many pointers from Jeff that I can get in the meantime.

2013-06-05 7:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

QUESTION about racing back to back weekends.

I've signed up for my first Oly distance tri on 8.10.2013.... Lots of our tri club members are racing a Sprint race the weekend prior on 8.3.2013. The sprint race is the first race I ever did and it would be my first rematch as well as my 1 yr anniversary in the sport. Many of them have been encouraging/pressuring me to race the Sprint on 8.3.2013.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea. I know the extra swim would be great experience for me, but not sure I could pace myself (but it is just a sprint). I know I will want to shave off time from last year. However, will I over do it and not be prepared for the Oly distance the following weekend? I'm so on the fence about this decision. I feel like doing the Sprint will help calm my nerves for the Oly distance, I just don't know if I will exert too much at the Sprint race. Plus, it will be very hot both weekends here in South Georgia.

The Oly Tri -- features a HIM distance at the same location in April. My goal is to do the Oly distance in preparation for the HIM.  

Oly Tri - Down river swim, hilly bike course, flat run

Sprint Tri - Short  lake swim (300 yds), hilly bike course, mostly flat run

All feedback is welcomed. Anyone ever raced back to back weekends?

Edited by jenbmosley 2013-06-05 7:54 AM
2013-06-05 7:52 AM
in reply to: Jo63

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by Jo63

Need a little help on bike shorts, and this may be dumb question of the day
Does the padding reduce after a certain amount of wear? And this is for the ladies what brand do you wear? I have been having a lot of trouble with mine not sure if it's fit or that I have been wearing them too long. I would like to find something that is somewhat comfortable for my next race.

JoAnne I can't comment on the women's version of bike shorts but everyone raves about the DeSoto 404's. I am planning to pick up a pair and if they work I'll be using those for IMWI. I even plan to do the swim in them as many have done this. They do not have diaper effect and I heard the padding is really good and they are a comfortable bike short. I believe there have been several threads out there on them as well if you want to take a look.
2013-06-05 7:56 AM

User image

Bronze member

Originally posted by Jo63 Need a little help on bike shorts, and this may be dumb question of the day Does the padding reduce after a certain amount of wear? And this is for the ladies what brand do you wear? I have been having a lot of trouble with mine not sure if it's fit or that I have been wearing them too long. I would like to find something that is somewhat comfortable for my next race.

I'm not sure if the padding reduces, makes sense to me that it would. I always buy whatever is on sale and so far I have 3 pair of zoot shorts and a pair of skirt sports that I wear the most often. What kind of trouble are you having? Are you using any kind of chamois cream or anything? I have never had much trouble with chaffing (if that is the issue) but for longer rides I use the cream on my skin and on my shorts both.

Oh, and I keep forgetting, thanks for asking about my sister in OK. She has been north of all the bad stuff so far so no damage!

I had an OWS last night in my friends pond. I am happy to report that I had my most comfortable swim yet in the wetsuit. Maybe I am starting to break it in a little. I forgot my spray and thought I would never even be able to get it on but I used the plastic bag trick and it slid right on the easiest it has yet! Then I remembered what Jeff said about squeezing my shoulders together so I did that while my son zipped me up. My last swim in the suit I could not wait to stop swimming and this time I didn't want to stop!

Of course my kids jump right in with only their swimsuits on .

2013-06-05 7:58 AM
in reply to: jenbmosley

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by jenbmosley

I've signed up for my first Oly distance tri on 8.10.2013.... Lots of our tri club members are racing a Sprint race the weekend prior on 8.3.2013. The sprint race is the first race I ever did and it would be my first rematch as well as my 1 yr anniversary in the sport. Many of them have been encouraging/pressuring me to race the Sprint on 8.3.2013.

I'm not sure if it is a good idea. I know the extra swim would be great experience for me, but not sure I could pace myself (but it is just a sprint). I know I will want to shave off time from last year. However, will I over do it and not be prepared for the Oly distance the following weekend? I'm so on the fence about this decision. I feel like doing the Sprint will help calm my nerves for the Oly distance, I just don't know if I will exert too much at the Sprint race. Plus, it will be very hot both weekends here in South Georgia.

The Oly Tri -- features a HIM distance at the same location in April. My goal is to do the Oly distance in preparation for the HIM.  

Jen I would do it. You don't have to go all out on the sprint if the Oly is the more important race and it would be a good warm up before you do the Oly. You'd just have temper your expectations and hold back a little. I am doing back to back races for the first time this month. I'll do a HIM and the week after an Oly. For the HIM I'll go all out but coming off that and doing the Oly the week after I'm just looking at the Oly as a fun race. I want to do well but not sure what I'll have left after the HIM.

2013-06-05 8:04 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by mambos

All kidding aside, I did manage to get a pretty decent ride in tonight.  Now I just gotta figure out how to use the information.  Here are the details

Plan 
Breakthrough: Long warm-up (45min). Then ride a 30 minute time trial all out. Race effort. Use a flat, out and back course. 10 minutes into the time trial punch the lap button on your heart rate monitor. Afterwards, record your average heart rate for the last 20 minutes. Also record distance covered or average speed. 
Cooldown 10 minutes. 
Actual 
Wound up going a little longer than expected, had a route planned not realizing it was little long. Kept the 1st 16 miles fairly easy, especially since a lengthy portion of it was into a headwind. Since I went a little long I stopped for a short break before going into the test portion. 1st 10 minutes was rough, but not terrible. Then the 20 minute section came and this became painful, I pushed as hard as I could to the point I had a hard time maintaining output and was yelling to myself to not give up. the results are somewhat surprising. 

20 minute test section (19:34): 7.45 miles at 22.8 mph (27.6) HR 162 avg with a max of 171

Really Surprised by the avg speed, I had my watch set to show time, HR and the AVG pace for my entire ride.  Didn't know the distance or speed until I was home reviewing the data.  My Question is, What do I do with the HR data?  Do I take 90% of the 162 and that becomes my baseline?

Matt nice ride and nice work. I think they have a calculator here to get you your zones. If you look up the Jorge plan you can plug in the HR numbers there and that should tell you what your zones are on the bike.
2013-06-05 9:46 AM
in reply to: strikyr

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Jen, where is the sprint? Do both, the sprint will be a warm up for the OLY
2013-06-05 10:17 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Originally posted by Jo63 Need a little help on bike shorts, and this may be dumb question of the day Does the padding reduce after a certain amount of wear? And this is for the ladies what brand do you wear? I have been having a lot of trouble with mine not sure if it's fit or that I have been wearing them too long. I would like to find something that is somewhat comfortable for my next race.

My choices for training bike shorts are Sheila Moon or Giordanna.  I love them both.  For triathlon / time trial racing, I like DeSoto.

2013-06-05 10:20 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Do both of them!!!!  You'll be fine.

I'm probably going to do Sprints on back-to-back weekends, too.  The first one is my target race.  The second one is just for fun.

2013-06-05 10:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

OMG.... How old is he again? I think that's kinda cute to be honest.

He is 12, which at 1st I thought was extremely young for this. Then I thought back to my days and realized its not!

as for doing back to back races, I say go for it! Especially since the sprint is 1st, you probably will not even feel an affect from the short distance.

2013-06-05 4:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

The pad will decrease in density over time but you should be able to use the shorts for thousands of miles before there is a lot of discomfort.  I have had 2 pair (Pearl Izumi Attack and Desoto Forza (with 400 mile chamois)) that have lasted for more than 2 years and around 10k miles between the 2 of them.  They seem to be fine right now but I think the Pearl's are getting a little more wear and I may be getting another pair soon.

I would say that if they aren't tearing at the seams of the chamois and they're not too uncomfortable, keep riding in them.  You might consider using the worn down pair for shorter rides of 20 miles or so and use newer one for longer rides.

Edited by DirkP 2013-06-05 4:53 PM
2013-06-05 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Jeff is the master of back to back races and has been known to race back to back days, not just weekends.  BEAST!!!

I say do both races and race all out for both.  The sprint will have little impact on you a week later, especially if you take a day to recover following the race.  By the time you hit the Oly you'll be trained for the longer distance and a sprint would be a nice warm up.

One way to maximize your fitness for the 2 races being that close together is to dial the volume to Oly training distances for as long as possible prior to your race.  If you go into the weekend with 3 months worth of volume building training the sprint race will feel like nothing from a recovery standpoint.

2013-06-05 7:24 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

NH
Originally posted by DirkP

Jeff is the master of back to back races and has been known to race back to back days, not just weekends.  BEAST!!!

I say do both races and race all out for both.  The sprint will have little impact on you a week later, especially if you take a day to recover following the race.  By the time you hit the Oly you'll be trained for the longer distance and a sprint would be a nice warm up.

One way to maximize your fitness for the 2 races being that close together is to dial the volume to Oly training distances for as long as possible prior to your race.  If you go into the weekend with 3 months worth of volume building training the sprint race will feel like nothing from a recovery standpoint.

Absolutely race both races. The run is the main thing you'll need recovery from, and a 5k really shouldn't impact you for more than a day or two. I'd take one day completely off and then see what you feel like. If you're really concerned, schedule a massage the day after and give the recovery a kick start.
2013-06-06 6:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada

I'm with everyone else, RACE THEM BOTH! and enjoy yourself. If you really want to be at top form for the Olympic then I would race the Sprint at your Olympic pace and use it as one final brick for a tune up. I dont think you have to worry too much about the recovery time even if you do over do it. Just make sure you get in a good rest day or two and a good taper week.
2013-06-06 6:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Finally starting to get some bike miles in, was able to do 68k last night in just over 2 hours. I was suprised at my pace even though I kept the HR in Z1 for most of the ride. Hopefully the nice weather keeps up!

2013-06-06 7:55 AM

User image

To the LADY JUNKIES:

JEN and DINA - Thanks for the tips on posting pictures here.   The exact keystroke by keystroke instructions by Dina were perfect for my pea-sized brain.  I tested it out and it worked!   You're both awesome!  And yes, Jen, do BOTH races! 

TRACY -  Congratulations on your camper purchase!   We have a toy hauler too and it's perfect for camping and racing.  You'll have a blast making great family memories.   It makes racing so much more fun to pull into a campsite and be able to sleep in comfortable surroundings and your own bed on the night before a race.  I only look to do races now, where we can camp at or close to the race site.   Fun, fun!

JOANNE -  I'm jealous that you have a group to do OWS with - way to get in the water.  Can't believe with you being north of us that your water was already in the 70s - lucky!  As far as bike shorts, I'm no help.   I have a few pairs of Pearl Izumi (shorts and capri length) that I haven't worn in several years.   I train in tri shorts because the chamois pad in bike shorts is too thick for my comfort.   I got a new bike seat (Selle SMP TRK Lady) and it's so comfortable that last week when I did my 50 miler, I only used regular unpadded compression shorts and had no issues.    Have you tried different bike seats?   Just throwing that idea out.

ALLISON - Hope all's well with you and your training.   I know you're busy making beautiful smiles on people - I enjoy seeing your client pictures on Facebook.

JACKIE - I know you put up a bio but I don't think you've posted since page 1.  Don't know if you're still with us - you'd mentioned in your bio about being unmotivated - hope you're getting inspiration somewhere, if not here.

Speaking of unmotivated - I woke up today not feeling like doing any training so I'll take the day off.  Last night I started to clean out our camper from sitting there all winter and it's a big job so I'll work on that this morn.   I'll do enough squats, lifts and running back and forth to the house that I'll call that a workout.   Wink    I found out on Monday, when I finally went to see a podiatrist, that I have arthritis in my big toe.  I'd been having burning pain there during runs of 8 miles or more for the last couple years.   I thought it was a bunion but it started hurting just getting out of bed so figured it was time to have it checked.  He recommended getting a carbon fiber insert initially, then surgery.  The surgery would take me out of commission for up to 4 months so I'm opting out of that for a while - who has time for dat?  Laughing

Have a great day EVERYONE!

2013-06-06 3:11 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA
Originally posted by bswcpa

To the LADY JUNKIES:

JEN and DINA - Thanks for the tips on posting pictures here.   The exact keystroke by keystroke instructions by Dina were perfect for my pea-sized brain.  I tested it out and it worked!   You're both awesome!  And yes, Jen, do BOTH races! 

TRACY -  Congratulations on your camper purchase!   We have a toy hauler too and it's perfect for camping and racing.  You'll have a blast making great family memories.   It makes racing so much more fun to pull into a campsite and be able to sleep in comfortable surroundings and your own bed on the night before a race.  I only look to do races now, where we can camp at or close to the race site.   Fun, fun!

JOANNE -  I'm jealous that you have a group to do OWS with - way to get in the water.  Can't believe with you being north of us that your water was already in the 70s - lucky!  As far as bike shorts, I'm no help.   I have a few pairs of Pearl Izumi (shorts and capri length) that I haven't worn in several years.   I train in tri shorts because the chamois pad in bike shorts is too thick for my comfort.   I got a new bike seat (Selle SMP TRK Lady) and it's so comfortable that last week when I did my 50 miler, I only used regular unpadded compression shorts and had no issues.    Have you tried different bike seats?   Just throwing that idea out.

ALLISON - Hope all's well with you and your training.   I know you're busy making beautiful smiles on people - I enjoy seeing your client pictures on Facebook.

JACKIE - I know you put up a bio but I don't think you've posted since page 1.  Don't know if you're still with us - you'd mentioned in your bio about being unmotivated - hope you're getting inspiration somewhere, if not here.

Speaking of unmotivated - I woke up today not feeling like doing any training so I'll take the day off.  Last night I started to clean out our camper from sitting there all winter and it's a big job so I'll work on that this morn.   I'll do enough squats, lifts and running back and forth to the house that I'll call that a workout.   Wink    I found out on Monday, when I finally went to see a podiatrist, that I have arthritis in my big toe.  I'd been having burning pain there during runs of 8 miles or more for the last couple years.   I thought it was a bunion but it started hurting just getting out of bed so figured it was time to have it checked.  He recommended getting a carbon fiber insert initially, then surgery.  The surgery would take me out of commission for up to 4 months so I'm opting out of that for a while - who has time for dat?  Laughing

Have a great day EVERYONE!

Brenda - You totally rock! This is the first time I have seen a 'ladies only' Junkie post! LOL! Sorry to hear about your toe; however, it is good to have an answer as to why it has been bothering you.

2013-06-06 3:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Cairo, GA

Junkies - Thanks  for all your feedback about racing back to back weekends. I am now fired up to do both! Just don't tell my hubby yet.

Maybe if I tell him to golf during the Sprint race weekend he won't be so bothered by the fact that I am racing both weekends.

2013-06-06 3:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

Jen, if I was trained up for an Olympic I would definitely do a sprint the weekend before if the opportunity was there (and the finances could handle it), especially one that I had that kind of history with.  Just like everyone else has said, I think you’ll be fine doing both.

I had a pretty unpleasant open water swim yesterday evening. My friend Jesse and I headed out to the lake and when we got there it smelled like someone had been gutting fish and left the discarded bits out in the sun. We got in and started our swim and all seemed to be going well when suddenly there is a log or shallow area where there shouldn’t be right below us. Reaching down you couldn’t touch anything, but it really looked like being in shallow and somewhat murky water.

It appears that a temperature shift or perhaps increased inflows had churned up some of the sediment from the bottom of the lake and we were seeing the suspended particles lit by the sun.  You could not feel the particles in the water, but you could see the color difference. It was completely random and the whole way across it kept repeating at varying distances and widths. Nice dark water then suddenly it looks shallow for a bit.

I have never been bothered when getting tangled in a bit of plant or even bumping into lots of small bits of driftwood floating around during a swim, but this sort of constant unexpected change in color and seemingly in depth was very disconcerting.  We swam across and back once (half a mile total) and both found it so disturbing to our swim rhythm that we decided to skip the rest of our planned swim.

2013-06-06 5:31 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am headed out of town for the weekend but I hope to get a couple of work outs in.  We are heading to Ohio to see family so I am not making any workout promises.

My plan is to get a long bike with a group, if I can find a ride, and maybe a semi-long run.  We'll see how it goes.

I'll probably keep up on the posts but may not be posting myself.

2013-06-06 6:44 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Have a great trip to the Buckeye state, DIRK!   I have no doubt you'll at least get a run in.   Enjoy family time!

VERO -  Ugh, that swim sounds uncomfortable in the weird water.  Did you talk to anyone to get an idea of what the cause was?  

DEREK -  You're making me a better mathematician - I'm always trying to convert your workout distances into miles. 

Who's racing this weekend (I'm too lazy to check past posts or individual race logs)?   Seems like MATT always has something on the calendar.   Anyone?....anyone?

2013-06-06 7:19 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Dirk have a safe trip and enjoy the time with your family.

Vero I probably would have done the same and cut my swim short too. I've had that happen to me as well swimming in the lake I swim at. I can't say it has ever been as unpleasant as you describe but I have had that disoreinting feeling and have gotten freaked out when you swim over or into something you expect not to be there.

Brenda hope you didn't work too hard today cleaning out the camper and hope you got a decent workout doing. x2 on being lazy but good luck to all the Junkies that are racing if any this weekend.
2013-06-07 5:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Thanks for the input on the shorts! The issue I am having is a guess I would describe it as a pinching only on one of my inner thighs, I did lose some weight so Iam thinking maybe the fabric is bunching? Anyway I am going to check out the ones you guys suggested!

Dina good to hear your suit is feeling better and your swim felt good.

Jen Iam late as usual but I also say GO FOR IT.

Derek nice ride, and Iam with Brenda trying to convert and figure out how far you went

Brenda, sorry about your toe, hopefully you can keep surgery off for a while.i alo have been putting off a surgery for about a year and a half cuz I was told no heavy lifting for 6 months and .... I ain't got time for dat either!!! Oh and we swam in a quarry, my husband said maybe cuz it is pretty enclosed no wind etc as to why it was 70

Vero freaky swim I definitely would have done the same.

Dirk have a great weekend!

Today is a recovery day! Although I took 2 unscheduled days off last week I am taking it! After the break I was able to put in a good week of training this week, and I guess with the weather here not being so good/ warm it doesn't seem like our race is only 2 weeks away. Speaking of.....
Tony I saw somewhere the current water temp at the Jamesville Resevoir is 68
2013-06-07 6:05 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Brenda, hope your toe is better.

My usual Thursday morning swim didn't happen because of a swim meet or something. They had the pool set up for the 50 meter swim instead of the 25 meter and the parking lot was full...before 5:30 a.m. so i didn't even stop. I guess I'll hve to swim in my own pool even though it is just 40 ft long, not really big enough...I can go to the lake if the lifeguard is not there.

And I'll be out of town again next week for work.

I hope everyone is training hard! Ya'll be careful out there...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114