General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2014-02-23 8:35 PM
in reply to: chirunner134

User image

Subject: RE: Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!!
Originally posted by chirunner134

Well diet size I did nothing in February. I am stepping it up a notch. A lot of lean meats and a lot more veggies. I am stopping my lunch being a tv dinner because it is a lot of carbs and I figured I would better off making sure I have left overs and eat those. Not sure I can keep up salad only also. Switching from a lot of bread to some rice. Hopefully that well help too.

I have been making a boat load of chicken breasts on sunday night.
Salt Pepper and my favorite seasonings (Jerk or Southwestern - depending on my mood).
Then I take those and Tupperware them individually.
Pop those babies in the fridge/feezer.
I microwave them at work w\ either a small salad or a bag of baby carrots.
Easier than a hungry man dinner.

Exciting - No - Boring - Yes - Effective! VERY.

For snacks - I have a Tupperware of almonds in my desk drawer, as well as protein powder.

I also vary up bringing in fresh fruit. I was off of dairy for a while, but I have been mixing in some Greek Yogurt here and there.

Typical day
2 eggs - 2 rounds Canadian Bacon - Bed of Baby Spinach - 1/3 of an Avacodo

Almonds w\ either Fresh Fruit or Yogurt (or all three).

Chicken Breast above w\ either small salad and or carrots or some other Veg.

3 PM Protein Drink

After workout Protein Drink

Dinner
Lean Protein - Typically Chicken - Veg and 1/2 a Roasted Sweet Potato

I've been cheating quite a bit lately, but based on the amount of calories I'm burning I'm still headed in the right direction!

Now I have been having some bad calf cramping lately, so I have mixed in 1/2 banana a day.

Also I sometimes substitute a breakfast of a Greek Yogurt / w\ half a cup of Fiber One Almond Cluster.

Good luck to you! For me the monotony of chicken sometimes drives me nuts!

2014-02-24 8:18 AM
in reply to: Clarkey77

User image

Champion
Bronze member

It sounds odd, but my husband has bad leg cramps and he started eating pickles or drinking pickle juice after heavy workouts. When he does this, no cramps. We found out about it from a friend. It is worth a try. I do make my own pickles, both sweet and dill. It seems to work with both types. Who knows why?

2014-02-24 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4953993

User image

Across the river from Memphis, Tennessee
Hit the pool for round 2 this morning. My use of time @ home wasn't good, so I only got 30 mins of pool time.

4x25 and 3x50. I couldn't find a snorkel, so I was trying to breathe better. I ended up (with the lifeguard watching) with long slow strokes breathing on every right stroke... it works.
2014-02-24 8:46 AM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by ceilidh

It sounds odd, but my husband has bad leg cramps and he started eating pickles or drinking pickle juice after heavy workouts. When he does this, no cramps. We found out about it from a friend. It is worth a try. I do make my own pickles, both sweet and dill. It seems to work with both types. Who knows why?

Is there a lot of salt in the pickles?
2014-02-24 8:49 AM
in reply to: WebFootFreak

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Originally posted by WebFootFreak

Hit the pool for round 2 this morning. My use of time @ home wasn't good, so I only got 30 mins of pool time.

4x25 and 3x50. I couldn't find a snorkel, so I was trying to breathe better. I ended up (with the lifeguard watching) with long slow strokes breathing on every right stroke... it works.

I used to be able to swim over 3 miles straight. I always breathes on one side every stroke. Better to relax and breathe than to panic and not breathe. I used to do every left but now I switch it up lo left down and right back. The direction depends on who is in the pool. I tried switching it up but it never worked for me.
2014-02-24 10:31 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Is there a lot of salt in the pickles?

The dill pickles, yes to salt. the sweet pickles, no. My best guess is it is the combination of vinegar (which is in both) and some magic factor

2014-02-24 10:33 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Hit the pool for round 2 this morning. My use of time @ home wasn't good, so I only got 30 mins of pool time. 4x25 and 3x50. I couldn't find a snorkel, so I was trying to breathe better. I ended up (with the lifeguard watching) with long slow strokes breathing on every right stroke... it works.
I used to be able to swim over 3 miles straight. I always breathes on one side every stroke. Better to relax and breathe than to panic and not breathe. I used to do every left but now I switch it up lo left down and right back. The direction depends on who is in the pool. I tried switching it up but it never worked for me.

I was hung up on breathing every 3 or every 4  or all on left or all on right or alternating. Then finally, I had a swim instructor that said "breathe when you need to"/ You have it exactly right, better to breath and relax and swim, than get all panicy.

2014-02-24 12:21 PM
in reply to: ceilidh

User image

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Hit the pool for round 2 this morning. My use of time @ home wasn't good, so I only got 30 mins of pool time. 4x25 and 3x50. I couldn't find a snorkel, so I was trying to breathe better. I ended up (with the lifeguard watching) with long slow strokes breathing on every right stroke... it works.

I was hung up on breathing every 3 or every 4  or all on left or all on right or alternating. Then finally, I had a swim instructor that said "breathe when you need to"/ You have it exactly right, better to breath and relax and swim, than get all panicy.

yeah... was getting panicky... as much as I love to swim, drowning has always been my second biggest fear... I drop my face in the water after breathing to the right, and I forget to exhale... it'll get better... my 50 yard stretches, I managed to complete a whole lot easier than Friday
2014-02-24 12:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Okay... this is why I'm here. This is where I have to ask for help.

I am starting my swim regimen on Friday. Problem is, I'm not sure how to train... I can swim very well, but have never done it for speed and/or distance. The Y has a 25yd pool, and I know the MLH tri group is planning open water swim dates before May. So... what is the most tried and true method of going from 0 to 18 laps by May 12th? I will be swimming on Mondays and Fridays

I don't believe I jacked up the math on this...

MiM Sprint Swim = .25mi
1mi = 1760yds
.25mi = 440yds
Pool @ the Y = 25yds
440yds/25yds = 17.6 LENGTHS... not laps...

I think that'll be MUCH more manageable by May 17th... *whew*!

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-02-24 12:53 PM
2014-02-24 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by WebFootFreak Okay... this is why I'm here. This is where I have to ask for help. I am starting my swim regimen on Friday. Problem is, I'm not sure how to train... I can swim very well, but have never done it for speed and/or distance. The Y has a 25yd pool, and I know the MLH tri group is planning open water swim dates before May. So... what is the most tried and true method of going from 0 to 18 laps by May 12th? I will be swimming on Mondays and Fridays
I don't believe I jacked up the math on this... MiM Sprint Swim = .25mi 1mi = 1760yds .25mi = 440yds Pool @ the Y = 25yds 440yds/25yds = 17.6 LENGTHS... not laps... I think that'll be MUCH more manageable by May 17th... *whew*!

Swimmers will tell you that is laps, but you are correct.  At our pool we say 18 lengths is 1/4 mile 35 is 1/2 and 71 is a mile.  We posted them on the walls near the lap pool ends, so people would be able to read it on their own. For when  I swim them and call them 36 for the half and 72 for the mile, because I want that distance or more every time.  But when working on the 70.3 distance.it is a 1.2 mile swim, so I would swim 14 more laps.  That would put me at 86 laps for my 1.2, even though by the math it would be 84.48 and most people round down.  Basically 7 laps(lengths) of the pool for each 1/10 of a mile.

2014-02-24 2:34 PM
in reply to: flip18436572

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
The official word from my best friend who just won Div 3 swim coach of the year:

length = down
lap = down and back

So in a 25yd pool 1 length = 25yd, 1 lap = 50yd

When you break it down to it makes sense, length is a measurement, is someone said to you hey what the length of the pool you swim in you would said 25yds. A lap is a unit of distance and being there is a start and finish point in a pool(same end) down and back would be a lap.

2014-02-24 9:17 PM
in reply to: #4916495

I agree, down is a length, down and back is a lap.

I've been struggling with a sore ankle the last couple weeks, but today I decided to try a short run to see how it felt. Made it through the run, and the ankle felt better than before I started. In fact, it hasn't been sore again today. Not sure how to explain that. Hopefully it won't be even more sore when I wake up tomorrow. Today was weights / short run in the morning, and swim at lunch. I did 92 lengths (46 laps).
2014-02-25 8:18 AM
in reply to: diablo243

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by diablo243 The official word from my best friend who just won Div 3 swim coach of the year: length = down lap = down and back So in a 25yd pool 1 length = 25yd, 1 lap = 50yd When you break it down to it makes sense, length is a measurement, is someone said to you hey what the length of the pool you swim in you would said 25yds. A lap is a unit of distance and being there is a start and finish point in a pool(same end) down and back would be a lap.

I agree with what you are saying, but have had this discussion many, many times.  I like the length and lap personally also.

BTW, I did 40 LENGTHS last night do get my over half mile workout in.  Yes, I know 36 is the finish with just over the half mile, but I really didn't care and was going to do more, but the pool was full of iD 10 t 's and I got tired of pushing noodles out of the lane so I could swim lengths/laps.  I actually got down to the end of the lane and stopped and grabbed the 5 that were in the only lap lane of the pool and threw them up on the concrete side, so they would stay out of my way.  Got kicked at the turn after 38, so I just finished and got out.  The life guards were too busy with kids, that it wasn't worth it to ask for help on keeping the lanes empty so I could actually get a workout in.

2014-02-25 8:35 AM

User image

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to start up a Length/Lap debate. I was just tweaking a bit that I messed up the math (usually a strong subject for me), and also relieved that I have to be able to swim half of what I thought I needed for May 17th... Then again, if I hadn't found my mistake, I'd have been in REALLY good shape for the swim leg!

Originally posted by flip18436572
it wasn't worth it to ask for help on keeping the lanes empty so I could actually get a workout in.

I'm blessed to be able to hit the pool at 6am on Mondays, and 5am on Fridays for this very reason.

Rick

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-02-25 8:38 AM
2014-02-25 8:41 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
I don't think there is a debate, I think we are all saying the same thing. In swimming a 500 is 20 lengths, they have the person sit on the opposite end form the start with the number flip board and count off each length. You said 17.6 lengths for a 4something so that is correct, I am pretty sure we all agreed on what was said unless I misread something. I was just making your math official, US Swimming and NCCA both define it that way.
2014-02-25 9:32 AM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Before I post it for the entire site, anyone want or need a Sigma 1606L wired bike computer with cadence? Perfect working condition, I just upgraded to a Wahoo rflkt+. If shipping is only a cpl bucks I'll cover it and I can't imagine it would be any more.

Let me know if no one wants I'll post it up in the classified area

2014-02-25 10:22 AM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Originally posted by diablo243

Before I post it for the entire site, anyone want or need a Sigma 1606L wired bike computer with cadence? Perfect working condition, I just upgraded to a Wahoo rflkt+. If shipping is only a cpl bucks I'll cover it and I can't imagine it would be any more.

Let me know if no one wants I'll post it up in the classified area

I could use for my son's bike. It's getting expensive setting up 4 bikes.
2014-02-25 10:25 AM
in reply to: Mfechter67

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
You got it PM me your mailing info and I'll get it out in the next couple days, having a hard time getting the magnet thing off the front spoke so you might have to replace that, but shouldn't be a big deal.
2014-02-25 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4916495

1 hr on the trainer in front of Sufferfest: Angels this morning, and a slow, 4.5 mile run in the snow at lunch. In retrospect, maybe I should have taken the run to the indoor track or treadmill. I thought the trail would have been a little better cleared off, but it was snowy, and icy, and slick. But the sun was out, and I was in need of some vitamin D. I am REALLY sore now, those short choppy steps to avoid slipping worked some muscles that haven't been worked in a while. Was thinking about getting some of those yak traks for next winter, specifically the running ones. Has anybody in the group ran with them? If so, what was your impression?
2014-02-26 6:21 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Originally posted by DBGlobal 1 hr on the trainer in front of Sufferfest: Angels this morning, and a slow, 4.5 mile run in the snow at lunch. In retrospect, maybe I should have taken the run to the indoor track or treadmill. I thought the trail would have been a little better cleared off, but it was snowy, and icy, and slick. But the sun was out, and I was in need of some vitamin D. I am REALLY sore now, those short choppy steps to avoid slipping worked some muscles that haven't been worked in a while. Was thinking about getting some of those yak traks for next winter, specifically the running ones. Has anybody in the group ran with them? If so, what was your impression?

I LOVE yaktraks. The sure footedness makes any awkwardness null and void. It allows a way better natural stride than what you have to do otherwise.

2014-02-26 6:22 AM
in reply to: DBGlobal

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
I can't speak to the running ones specifically but I have used their regular trax on my boots for years and they are a great company with quality products.

Went to my old boot camp class last night, figured I would pick that up twice a week during these next four weeks until my next plan kicks in. Felt good to be active again, it's amazing once you get into a routine how off it feels to even miss a few days in a row! Think I'll also focus on some swimming in the next 4 weeks as well, maybe drills specifically and try to increase that endurance.

Have a great day everyone!

2014-02-26 8:09 AM

User image

Day 2, week 3 of my C25K had me running 2K... I'm happy to say that I ran the entire distance, but more importantly, I still have NO PAIN. I also walked an additional .7k as a cool down (and to get back home). I did feel a couple of twinges around my right shin and left soleus muscle, but nothing more than that. I kept my pace deliberately slow (8:56, 9:25) because I was a bit worried. Also since I'll repeat weeks 4-8 before my 5K, that'll allow me to maybe build some speed. Thursday will be walking again. My strength regimen yesterday had me almost where I need to be to really start making an impact. I'm doing 2 sets of low weight/high rep and I've almost got it to where I'm at muscle failure at the end of the second set on some exercises. Now if the bleeding weather would warm up, I could get some serious saddle miles in too...

Rick

Edited by WebFootFreak 2014-02-26 8:14 AM
2014-02-26 8:33 PM

User image

Ledyard, Connecticut
Good stuff Rick, keep it up! I enjoy you saying you kept it slow at sub 10 min miles :/ lol

So did some more bike work tonight, got a new wheel set for the bike and decided to try some new gears to help with hill climbs. The wheels came with a 10speed cassette so had to swap it out to a 9, bought an Ultegra 12-25 set (original wheels had a 11-21 on it). Swapped those out tonight and now need to tune the rear derailer, also add a speedfill hydration system. So my profile designs aero drink setups are up for sale, if anyone is interested on here before I post them to the world, I have 2 complete aero drink systems with aerobar brackets and all the bits and pieces $28 shipped if anyone is interested(you can see a pic a few pages back in my post about cockpit upgrade).

Finally broke down and picked up a Garmin Swim tonight, the data from my 610 was soooo valuable to my training the swim data can only help. I'll give some feedback once I give it a go! Still resting this week and then next back to the grind!
2014-02-27 5:47 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

That is my excuse for running above a 10 m mile... to make sure I don't hur anything else. Yah, that is it. That's my story and I am sticking with it.

2014-02-27 9:10 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa

Originally posted by diablo243 Good stuff Rick, keep it up! I enjoy you saying you kept it slow at sub 10 min miles :/ lol So did some more bike work tonight, got a new wheel set for the bike and decided to try some new gears to help with hill climbs. The wheels came with a 10speed cassette so had to swap it out to a 9, bought an Ultegra 12-25 set (original wheels had a 11-21 on it). Swapped those out tonight and now need to tune the rear derailer, also add a speedfill hydration system. So my profile designs aero drink setups are up for sale, if anyone is interested on here before I post them to the world, I have 2 complete aero drink systems with aerobar brackets and all the bits and pieces $28 shipped if anyone is interested(you can see a pic a few pages back in my post about cockpit upgrade). Finally broke down and picked up a Garmin Swim tonight, the data from my 610 was soooo valuable to my training the swim data can only help. I'll give some feedback once I give it a go! Still resting this week and then next back to the grind!

PM coming shortly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Rss Feed  

of 58

RELATED POSTS

Scott and Kelly's Mentor Group- Closed Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29

Started by uhcoog
Views: 28352 Posts: 719

2014-05-18 9:18 PM kathleenkp

Power Mentor Group with Shane & Marc - Closed. Pages: 1 ... 70 71 72 73

Started by marcag
Views: 100784 Posts: 1816

2014-06-10 2:42 PM cdkayak

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16560 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30438 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Research provides insight into struggles with shedding weight while training.

date : May 22, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 0
Are you getting adequate rest after your workouts? Rest and over-training effects on weight loss, weight gain.
date : March 21, 2007
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Interval training for weight loss. Weight training for weight loss. These interval workouts can be done in 15 to 20 minutes and have huge caloric expenditures for those who are crunched for time.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : February 13, 2005
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 9
Losing fat is not difficult. So why does this continue to be an elusive goal for so many people, who “struggle” just to lose a few inches?
date : September 19, 2004
author : Michael
I’m a C-L-Y-D-E-S-D-A-L-E! Many people in the sport know the division is there, but many of them think that it's a 'fat boys division.' So what constitutes a Clydesdale? Why even have this class?

date : September 3, 2004
author : Ron
What happens in your body when you eat, fast or workout?