BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-06-27 5:16 AM
in reply to: JREDFLY

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: RE: Need Swim Tip for Sunday Sprint
Originally posted by JREDFLY

With all the hype at the beginning of a race, any swim tips on calming down so I can get into a rythm?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,
James

I have been using a simple tip in my swims lately that might help you: just before the swim (like while standing in the water waiting for the start), close your eyes, breath through your NOSE , SLOWLY; take 20 breaths counting up to 20, then 20 more breaths counting back down again. Focus on the breathing, release all other thoughts and anxieties. In short, you are doing a brief 3-minute meditation.
This little practice has improved my swim, even in practice. Can't wait to try it in my race on Saturday.
Credit for it goes to Terry Laughlin.
Deb

2014-06-27 8:41 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Subject: "Swimmers ear" prevention ideas...
I woke up this morning with an ear ache. Not sure what it is yet, but when I was a kid I frequently would get ear infections after swimming in the local lakes. What do you do to prevent this "swimmer's ear"?

A. The alcohol-based drying agent? (This is what I'm currently trying)

B. Ear plugs?

C. Other?

Thanks!

Scott I.
2014-06-27 8:57 AM

User image

"With all the hype at the beginning of a race, any swim tips on calming down so I can get into a rythm?"

Someone on this site (Deb, was it you?) recommended singing silently as you swim to calm down and establish a rhythm. She didn't mention which song she uses. I tried Dora's song "Just keep swimming" from Finding Nemo. It worked until I started laughing. It's hard to breath when you're laughing!

Scott I.
2014-06-27 9:18 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by EchoLkScott

"With all the hype at the beginning of a race, any swim tips on calming down so I can get into a rythm?"

Someone on this site (Deb, was it you?) recommended singing silently as you swim to calm down and establish a rhythm. She didn't mention which song she uses. I tried Dora's song "Just keep swimming" from Finding Nemo. It worked until I started laughing. It's hard to breath when you're laughing!

Scott I.

It was I.
I most often sing "Amazing Grace" because I know the words to all the verses; also it keeps things in perspective.
Laughing in your mind would be great!
Deb
2014-06-27 9:36 AM

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: "Swimmers ear" prevention ideas...

I woke up this morning with an ear ache. Not sure what it is yet, but when I was a kid I frequently would get ear infections after swimming in the local lakes. What do you do to prevent this "swimmer's ear"?

B. Ear plugs?

C. Other?

Thanks!

Scott I.

Scott--

As a kid I really struggled with ear infections as well. As an adult swimmer I've struggled with water in my ears post swim, particularly in the ear on the side that I breathe. On that side I could feel the water in my ear for days after a swim. I just got tired of fighting it so I went to full time ear plugs while swimming. No big deal, problem solved.
2014-06-28 9:57 AM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA

B. Ear plugs?

C. Other?

Thanks!

Scott I.

The Answer is B - ear plugs.

I have a perferated eardrum and would not be able to swim without them. I have found that the cheap Speedo earplugs work best for me. They are a clear rubber straight tube with three flanges on them and only cost like $4.00. Good Luck!

2014-06-28 8:31 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by JREDFLY Hey Scott,

The swimming has been going very well where I have been doing 2 - 750 meter sets without a problem. All thanks goes to the little Scottisms that play in my head. The other day though I had a hard time just doing a 500. My breathing just wasn't there and I had to do the breast stroke a couple of times to finish. I felt really disappointed because I have to do a 400 meter in my Sprint this Sunday.

I was just going to do another 250 in the pool that day but I slowed it down just al little bit and I felt so good I just cranked out the full 500 without a problem.

What I am thinking is, by just slowing it down a little bit it calmed down my breathing.

Hey James,

An  observation and a couple comments.  You mention you are doing 2 - 750 meter sets.  Can you clarify that?  You DON'T need to be doing 750 meter swims, rather you should be doing intervals.  Maybe 8 x 100 with 30 seconds rest.  Follow with an easy 200.  Then another 8 x 100 with 20 seconds rest.  I will address in just a moment how to specifically set pace and rest periods.  There is absolutely nothing gained by doing long swims other than the psychological reinforcement that you can do the distance.  The ONLY time I have anyone do a long swim is when doing a time trail.

As to you having a hard time doing the 500.  I suspect you may have been overcooking it just a little bit.  By slowing down you allowed your body to clear the lactic acid build up and your stroke smoothed out, which had a positive impact on your breathing.

You have been swimming long enough now that it is probably time to find your threshold pace - the pace that you can theoretically hold "all day long."  There are two ways to determine that.  The first is a 1,000 maximal effort time trial.  The problem is that most people go out to fast which skews the results  The second way is to use the CSS (Critical Swim Speed) test.  It is not quite as accurate, off by a couple seconds per 100, but for our purposes, it is accurate enough.  It has the added benefit of a quicker recovery.  Once you have determined you threshold pace, you can use it to set the swim intensity in your workouts as well as have an actual target time and pace for your races that is built on empirical data, not a guess.

CSS Test Procedure -

Do your normal warm-up (a couple hundred easy freestyle).  Once you are warmed up, you will do two time trials, one of 50 yards (or meters if you are in a long course pool) and one of 400 yards. Both time trials will be at a maximal pace - meaning as fast as you can go the distance.  There needs to be sufficient time between the two swims so that you are FULLY recovered before the second time trial.  I recommend doing the 50 first as the recovery time is shorter.  Ideally you will have someone available that can time you.  If not, time yourself, the slight difference in time will not be significant.  To start, push off from the wall - NO DIVING START.  Record the time in seconds.  I suggest an EASY 100 after the first swim to clear the lactic acid.  Give it at least 10 minutes, then do an EASY 100.  Then start the second time trial.  Again, record the time in seconds.

How to Calculate CSS -

CSS/Threshold Pace in yards/meters per second can be calculated with the following formula, where D1 = 50, D2 = 400, T1 = time for 50 swim in seconds and T2 = time for 400 swim in seconds

CSS/Threshold Pace = (D2 - D1) ÷ (T2 - T1)

I figure if you are going to do a test it won't be for a couple days so I will write up a post over the weekend that describes how to take your CSS/Threshold pace and build workouts from that as well as set race paces.

With all the hype at the beginning of a race, any swim tips on calming down so I can get into a rhythm?

The races I did last year I started in the novice group and went to the outside. I also stood at the start line and waited for 5 to 10 seconds after everyone else hit the water and I think this helped but any other tips?

I know one of these days I will have to start in the melee but I am just not there yet. All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

James

First thing, if at all possible, get in the water and warm up.  You will then know what the water conditions are which will remove any anxiety brought about by the unknown.  Second, just being warmed up will help.  Next, DON'T get into the washing machine.  Start to the outside or to the back.  Your time does not start until you cross the timing line.  Swim your race and don't worry about the other participants.  There is a saying, you can't win a triathlon during the swim but you can lose it there.  You aren't going to be first out of the water, so don't worry about that.  Your goal should be to turn in a solid swim FOR YOU.  Don't get caught up in everyone else's pace - swim YOUR pace.  Get to the swim venue early, warm up if possible and then look at the course.  Plan out your swim.. How and where are you going to start, how are you going to approach the buoys, etc.  When the gun sounds, swim your plan.

You've got this James! 

2014-06-28 10:27 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott I woke up this morning with an ear ache. Not sure what it is yet, but when I was a kid I frequently would get ear infections after swimming in the local lakes. What do you do to prevent this "swimmer's ear"?

B. Ear plugs?

C. Other?

Thanks!

Scott I.

D. Baby Oil or Olive Oil.  A drop in each ear before getting in the water will reduce the likelihood of 'swimmer's ear.'

Don't ask me why it works, I just know it does.  This was the preferred remedy for our swim team back in the day - over 300 total members between the age group and national teams.

Also, make sure your ears are clean.  Any wax build-up will hold water in the ear canal which may result in swimmer's ear or an infection.

Edited by k9car363 2014-06-28 10:30 PM
2014-06-29 11:18 AM
in reply to: soccermom15

User image

Spencer, New York
Subject: Race Report: Broome County Parks Triathlon
I thought I had lost my edge: my last workouts had been sluggish & the night before the race, I didn't feel any excitement or even nervousness. Although it was to be an A race, it was not special and I felt tired of the whole business. I was almost done packing & started looking for my entry confirmation. I like to bring this, just in case there's a snafu at registration. Couldn't find it, either in my emails or printed out. Searched my credit card transactions, not there either. Was I losing my mind? Had I even registered for this race? I worked myself into a proper tizzy until I remembered I had sent in a paper registration with a check.
Then I knew I had the proper adrenaline flowing after all! (The sluggishness, I've heard, is a by-product of the taper.)
It was a very solid race. Because there are so few in my age group, I typically look at my percentile among all women entrants. Mine was 39th%ile overall: 35th on the swim; 96th!! in T1; 39th on the bike; 47th in T2; 39th on the run. (If you remember from your high school days, that means I beat 39 percent of the group. All but 1 considerably younger than me, by the way.)
I am especially happy with the swim. In the past it's hovered at or below the 20th percentile. The greatly increased yardage I've put in this year while attending to form have really paid off. I felt very prepared and confident, did my 3-minute meditation, hit my tempo early, and finished feeling as strong as when I started. I remembered to sight often, and actually passed other swimmers! My pace (2:32/100) was almost exactly what my recent workouts would have predicted.
Finishing the swim without exhaustion also contributed to my blazing fast T1. My time was second among all women, and off the leader's time by less than a second! I love transitions!
My pace for the bike (15.1 mph) and run (10:34 min/mile) were considerably slower than in the ESSG two weeks ago, but the courses were much tougher. There were 3 long, significant hills on the bike; I had the pleasure of exceeding 40 mph on the downhill for the first time ever, but it didn't make up for the 7 mph on the uphill. I really need to become a stronger climber.
The run course was about half on grass, which is slower than pavement. Also, it included a very steep somewhat lengthy incline up to the top of a dam . Last year I would have tried to tough it out and run up the incline; but this year I am attending to HR. I could see that it was already nearing zone 4 & I felt it was too early in the run for that. Even walking up, it got into 4. Basically, I followed the same HR strategy as in ESSG: zone 3 for the 1st 2 miles; then zone 4 for a mile; then go all out.
I have to say I'm starting to like this training and racing by HR a lot. One day I'll be able to do it by body-sensing, but for now I use a device.
You can look at the complete race report if you want to see more.
Hope everyone is having a good race or workout this weekend.
Deb

2014-06-29 11:27 AM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Race Report: Broome County Parks Triathlon
Solid race, Deb. Great to beat a bunch of the youngsters as well.

The HR monitoring on the run is a pretty cool tool. I think it works even better for triathlon (vs. just run events). After a swim and a bike it's so easy to get duped by fatigue into running at too fast a pace...the HR pretty much shows your actual energy output.

Congrats. Sounds like you had a great day.

Steve
2014-06-29 3:29 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by JREDFLY Hey Scott,

Hey James,

An  observation and a couple comments. 

The second way is to use the CSS (Critical Swim Speed) test.  It is not quite as accurate, off by a couple seconds per 100, but for our purposes, it is accurate enough.  It has the added benefit of a quicker recovery.  Once you have determined you threshold pace, you can use it to set the swim intensity in your workouts as well as have an actual target time and pace for your races that is built on empirical data, not a guess.

CSS Test Procedure -

Do your normal warm-up (a couple hundred easy freestyle).  Once you are warmed up, you will do two time trials, one of 50 yards (or meters if you are in a long course pool) and one of 400 yards. Both time trials will be at a maximal pace - meaning as fast as you can go the distance.  There needs to be sufficient time between the two swims so that you are FULLY recovered before the second time trial.  I recommend doing the 50 first as the recovery time is shorter.  Ideally you will have someone available that can time you.  If not, time yourself, the slight difference in time will not be significant.  To start, push off from the wall - NO DIVING START.  Record the time in seconds.  I suggest an EASY 100 after the first swim to clear the lactic acid.  Give it at least 10 minutes, then do an EASY 100.  Then start the second time trial.  Again, record the time in seconds.

How to Calculate CSS -

CSS/Threshold Pace in yards/meters per second can be calculated with the following formula, where D1 = 50, D2 = 400, T1 = time for 50 swim in seconds and T2 = time for 400 swim in seconds

CSS/Threshold Pace = (D2 - D1) ÷ (T2 - T1)

I figure if you are going to do a test it won't be for a couple days so I will write up a post over the weekend that describes how to take your CSS/Threshold pace and build workouts from that as well as set race pacesthis James! 

Hey Scott--This is pretty cool. I plugged in my (pre-injury) times from my training log. I came up with 1:38/100 yards. I think that is probably pretty accurate for me knowing how I feel when doing 100s at 1:30 pace or going slower at a 1:50 pace.

So if I was building a workout with 10 X100 at 1:38, how would I calculate the rest interval to get right training effect?

PS-No, I'm not even close to getting back into training.

Stevev

2014-06-29 5:59 PM

User image

New user
Hingham, MA
Subject: Race Report
I am actually a little upset with this race director right now. I was feeling great and with 30 feet to go I was looking up at the clock right in front of me and I took a terrible fall on a FREAKIN UNMARKED, UNMANNED, SPEED BUMP. The director of this triathlon is all about the show and not safety. He could have had the finish on the street that has no speed bumps but no he would rather endanger runners so they can finish in the parking lot in front of his overpriced stage. I have some bad road rash right now but I think I will be OK.

Too bad because I was having a good race. I was out of the water in 8:26 and never went on my back, so I was really proud of that. BTW the song in my head really worked.

I took it easy on the bike using my granny gear going up some hills so it was a little on the slow side but my legs felt great when I started my run. In past races I actually used to keep it in my hardest gear and just crank the entire bike ride and my legs were always spent on the run. I couldn't believe how good my legs felt.

The run was a little hilly so again I ran a little on the slow side but I just ran inside myself and felt good.

This director did the same thing last year endangering runners at another one of his races. Before he took it over the finish was always on the beach. Last year on the run which is entirely on the beach he had us run over a 20 foot sand dune in the rain so once again we could finish in front of his stage in the parking lot. I know one guy who is an elite triathlete and he injured his calf and had to rehab the rest of the summer because he was going to the worlds in England tha fall.

Anyway, like I said this guy is all about the show and not safety.

He stages most the races in my area but I think it is time to start traveling a little longer to safer venues.

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-06-29 6:10 PM
2014-06-29 7:20 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Using Threshold Swim Pace to Plan Workouts and Set Race Pace

Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Scott--This is pretty cool. I plugged in my (pre-injury) times from my training log. I came up with 1:38/100 yards. I think that is probably pretty accurate for me knowing how I feel when doing 100s at 1:30 pace or going slower at a 1:50 pace. So if I was building a workout with 10 X100 at 1:38, how would I calculate the rest interval to get right training effect? PS-No, I'm not even close to getting back into training. Stevev

Hey Steve,

Here is the post I promised that covers using threshold pace to plan workouts and set race pace.  It should answer your question about rest periods, etc.

Fair warning to all, this is a long post.

In an earlier post I referred to determining your Swim Threshold Pace (STP), also known as CSS – Critical Swim Speed, or simply as threshold pace. There are a couple ways to determine your STP. The first is to do a long maximal effort time trial swim, typically 1,000 yards/meters and then determine your average pace per 100 over the final 400 of the swim. The problem with this method is that swimmers tend to go out too fast which skews the results to the low side, and it takes a good deal of time to recover from a 1,000 yard/meter swim. The second method is becoming the preferred method which is to use the modified Critical Swim Speed (CSS) test. The advantage to a CSS test is that it can be done before a workout as it is quick and easy to administer plus it doesn’t replace a workout as a long time trial often does. The disadvantage is that it tends to produce a STP that is a couple seconds per hundred too fast. We can easily adjust for that when we set-up workouts and/or a race pace.

To review the STP/CSS Test Procedure -

Do your normal warm-up (i.e. 200 easy freestyle). Once you are warmed up, you will do two time trials, one of 50 yards (or meters if you are in a long course pool) and one of 400 yards/meters. Both time trials will be at a maximal pace - meaning as fast as you can go the distance. There needs to be sufficient time between the two swims so that you are FULLY recovered before the second time trial. I recommend doing the 50 first as the recovery time is shorter. Ideally you will have someone available that can time you. If not, time yourself, the slight difference in time will not be significant. To start, push off from the wall - NO DIVING START. Record the time in seconds. I suggest an EASY 100 after the first swim to clear the lactic acid. Give it at least 10 minutes, then do an EASY 100. Then start the second time trial. Again, record the time in seconds.

How to Calculate STP/CSS -

STP/CSS/Threshold Pace in yards/meters per second can be calculated with the following formula, where D1 = 50, D2 = 400, T1 = time for 50 swim in seconds and T2 = time for 400 swim in seconds

STP/CSS/Threshold Pace = (D2 - D1) ÷ (T2 - T1)

So now you have a couple numbers from your test. What do they mean and how can I use them?

We happen to have a couple of imaginary swimmers that just did the STP test.

Suzie Swimmer recorded 64seconds (1:04) for the 50 yard time trial, and 592 seconds (9:51) for the 400 time trial.  Ricky Racer recorded 32 seconds for the 50 and 296 seconds (4:55) for the 400.

The STP calculations

For Suzie – STP = (400-50) / (592-64) = 0.66 yards/second.
For Rickie – STP = (400-50) / (296-32) = 1.18 yards/second.

Now that we have our STP number, let’s take a moment and look at the various types of swim endurance training and use the STP numbers from the volunteers to see how to use STP.

There are different types of swimming endurance training –

Extensive Endurance – Long repetitions at a steady, comfortable pace.
Intermediate Endurance – Shorter repetitions that are closer to your race pace.
Intensive Endurance – Very hard efforts. For stronger swimmers this will be below your race pace.

EXTENSIVE ENDURANCE TRAINING

You would exclusively do this type of training at the beginning of the season during your base build and then maybe once a week during the season. This type of training uses long repetitions. However, long does not mean race distance. Repetitions of 200 are typical with perhaps an occasional set of 400 repetitions (no more than once every couple of weeks). At the beginning of base training or if you are a newer swimmer, repetitions of 100 work well to begin to build swim fitness.

The idea is to use repetitions of a distance that you find challenging but not maximal, with sufficient rest that you can repeat the effort. You should be able to keep your breathing under control. If a swimmer tries to swim too far or too fast in a single repetition, they would likely fade badly and their stroke technique would rapidly deteriorate. You do not want to train with poor technique!

An endurance training session for Suzie, our newer swimmer might look something like this –

5 x 200 at a comfortable aerobic pace. This should be 10-15 seconds per 100 yards slower than your STP with approximately 45-60 seconds rest/recovery between repetitions. To determine the base pace take the target distance and divide by your STP.

Target Pace = (200 / 0.66) + 30 (add 15 seconds per 100 for extensive endurance pace) = 333 seconds = 5:33/200. From that, add your rest period, to arrive at an interval time. 5:33 + rest = 6:30 interval time. As your endurance increases, you begin to add repetitions. The goal is to build to a total distance of 1.5 – 2.0 times your longest race distance in the upcoming season.

The key to extensive endurance training is hitting your target pace – that’s what that big clock at the end of the pool is for! By the way, this will begin to teach you pacing which will benefit you on race day!

Now, let’s look at the same extensive endurance training session for Ricky –

Ricky is more experience so he will be swimming a longer workout – 10 x 200 at a comfortable aerobic pace with 45-60 seconds rest/recovery between repetitions.

Target Pace = (200/1.18) + 20 (add 10 seconds/100 for more experienced swimmer extensive endurance pace) = 209 seconds = 3:29/200. Add rest period for interval time – 3:29 + rest = 4:30 interval time.

When you are able to maintain good technique and steady controlled breathing for 1.5 – 2.0 times the longest race distance in the upcoming season on a regular basis, you have begun to develop a good endurance capacity for your speed . . . now it’s time to work on going faster.

INTERMEDIATE ENDURANCE TRAINING

This type of endurance training is used after you have achieved a basic level of swim fitness. The intensity you want for these training sessions is quite hard, although not an all-out maximal effort. The pace should be “uncomfortably comfortable.” Breathing should still be under control but in these sessions it is more difficult to maintain that control. Developing endurance at this pace and intensity helps with the latter stages of the swim and begins to develop speed.
Shorter repetitions are used for Intermediate Endurance Training with reduced rest periods.

An example of an Intermediate Endurance session using Suzie’s STP –

20 x 100 at STP with 15 seconds rest. As you become more proficient, add more repetitions.

Target pace = 100/.66 = 151 seconds = 2:31. Add 15 seconds rest for interval time = 2:45 interval.

As you progress through this set it will become increasingly difficult to maintain stroke technique and control your breathing. Newer swimmers should attempt less repetitions to avoid stroke technique deterioration.

INTENSIVE ENDURANCE TRAINING

This type of training is developing speed and more importantly it is training your body to clear lactic acid from your bloodstream. This is a VERY HARD session and you need to be technically very competent to gain the most benefit. Otherwise you will find that your stroke technique will deteriorate as you fatigue and you will be missing interval times by increasingly wide margins.

The session might look something like this –

10 x 100 at 3-5 seconds below STP with 20 seconds rest.

This could develop into multiple sets in the same session.

2 x [10 x 100 at 3-5 seconds below STP with 20 seconds rest] and 5 minutes between sets].

Make no mistake, this is a MAXIMAL EFFORT!

The early part of this type of session you will feel pretty good because you are swimming a relatively short distance and have a sufficient rest period. However, by the time you get halfway through the set you will find that 20 seconds rest is just enough to get your breathing back under control. By the last couple of repetitions you will be gasping for breath as you start the next rep!

For Ricky, our stronger swimmer, the set pace and intervals would look something like this –

Target pace = 100/1.18 = 1:25 – 0:05 = 1:20/100. Add 20 seconds rest = 1:40 interval.

PUTTING IT TOGETHER TO PLAN WORKOUTS

Your swim training sessions should include:

1. A warm-up (In addition to warming up paying particular attention to stroke technique is beneficial)
  2. A main set (Target is 1.5-2.0 race distance)
  3. Cool down

Prior to the beginning of the season the focus should be on building endurance so workouts should exclusively include Extensive Endurance Training.
Once endurance has improved to where the swimmer can comfortably swim at least 1.5 – 2.0 times the longest race distance of the upcoming race season while maintaining stroke technique and keeping breathing under control Intermediate Endurance sessions should be added each week.

Intensive Endurance sessions should be utilized once every other week and added once a week approximately 4-6 weeks before your ‘A’ race to develop speed. This type of session should be removed from your workouts 2 weeks before your ‘A’ race. This type of session is for stronger swimmers and will compare to a long time trial. It is not a session you will want to do or should do often.

A typical mid-season training week for a moderate ability swimmer might include one Extensive Endurance session, one mixed Intermediate Endurance and Extensive Endurance session, and one Intermediate Endurance session.

As the swimmer progresses, he/she may add Intensive Endurance sessions as I described earlier.

RACE PACE

The final piece of the puzzle is determining your race pace from your STP.

If you are a new swimmer or one that does less than 3 swim sessions per week, or you are not training sufficient yardage based on the 1.5-2.0 time race distance formula, your race pace will be the same as your STP. Simply divide 100 by your STP to determine your pace per 100 = 100/0.66 = 151.51 seconds = 2:31.2/100. To predict your race swim time, take the total race distance and divide by your STP. Thus Suzie’s predicted time for the swim in a Sprint Triathlon (750 yards – I know it is actually 750 meters but for our example this is close enough) would be 750/0.66 = 1136.36 seconds = 18:44.8

For a more experience swimmer, you will learn through Intensive Endurance training sessions if you can do a Sprint Triathlon below STP. For any distance above a Sprint your race pace would be the same as your STP.

So there you have it. The basics to plan your workouts, or at least begin to understand what your coach is having you do.

Hope that helps.

2014-06-29 9:21 PM
in reply to: ok2try

User image

Master
Sendai, Japan
Subject: RE: Race Report: Broome County Parks Triathlon

Nice job Deb - congrats!!  40 mph - wow.   The fastest I have gone is 55 kph.  I want to go faster and certainly have the hills to try it on, but have not yet built up the confidence to let it rip.

James:  sorry to hear about that speed bump, but glad that you only ended up with road rash.   Sounds like you had a pretty good race.

2014-06-30 6:05 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Using Threshold Swim Pace to Plan Workouts and Set Race Pace
Scott - best swim training post I've ever read on BT. You should consider putting it out on the main boards. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it up!

Stu
2014-06-30 8:35 AM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by k9car363

Originally posted by lutzman

Hey Scott--This is pretty cool. I plugged in my (pre-injury) times from my training log. I came up with 1:38/100 yards. I think that is probably pretty accurate for me knowing how I feel when doing 100s at 1:30 pace or going slower at a 1:50 pace. So if I was building a workout with 10 X100 at 1:38, how would I calculate the rest interval to get right training effect? PS-No, I'm not even close to getting back into training. Stevev

Hey Steve,

Here is the post I promised that covers using threshold pace to plan workouts and set race pace.  It should answer your question about rest periods, etc.

Fair warning to all, this is a long post.

Iing you do.

Hope that helps.

Holy Cow--Long post, you weren't kidding! Great stuff....but it's going to take me the rest of the week to digest it all.

Thanks, Scott!

Steve

2014-06-30 11:02 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Deb and James, glad ya'll had good races!!! James, hope you have a speedy recovery from your fall.

I'm finally back from work for a short period of time. Getting lots of running in but trying not to increase the mileage to quickly..and it is getting hot here.

Ya'll train hard!
2014-06-30 12:46 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Race Report

I am actually a little upset with this race director right now. I was feeling great and with 30 feet to go I was looking up at the clock right in front of me and I took a terrible fall on a FREAKIN UNMARKED, UNMANNED, SPEED BUMP. The director of this triathlon is all about the show and not safety. He could have had the finish on the street that has no speed bumps but no he would rather endanger runners so they can finish in the parking lot in front of his overpriced stage. I have some bad road rash right now but I think I will be OK.

This director did the same thing last year endangering runners at another one of his races. Before he took it over the finish was always on the beach. Last year on the run which is entirely on the beach he had us run over a 20 foot sand dune in the rain so once again we could finish in front of his stage in the parking lot. I know one guy who is an elite triathlete and he injured his calf and had to rehab the rest of the summer because he was going to the worlds in England tha fall.

Anyway, like I said this guy is all about the show and not safety.

He stages most the races in my area but I think it is time to start traveling a little longer to safer venues.

James:

I feel your pain.

I would definitely email the RD. And I would post it up on SlowTwitch and call it out so others are aware.

Heal quickly.

Steve
2014-06-30 2:08 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-30 6:26 PM

Spencer, New York
Originally posted by Dogpaddle

That really stinks James! I agree with Steve's suggestion.. Get the word out!

Question - My decision to do the tri yesterday was kinda last minute and I really was just wanting to finish and "have fun". But since I missed 3rd in my AG by 2 mins and realized that my transition was ridiculously slow, I've decided to give some thought to A) speedlaces and B) a better solution for bike shoes(mine take forever to get on and tightened up) . Not that I feel like I'll be in the hunt for the podium in the future but I realize if you're going to be giving everything you've got out there, you don''t want to be screwing around in transition!! So I was wondering what type of bike shoes/cleats are good to use and does anyone leave the shoes attached to your pedals?

If the race is close, you can win in transition. Get rid of everything that takes time. No socks, no tying shoes (no gloves, no eating or drinking, no extra clothing.) Look for triathlon biking shoes, not road shoes. They will close just with Velcro, not these ratchet things. With practice, you can learn to leave them attached to the pedals. Run the bike out barefoot, mount with your feet on top of the shoes & get them into the shoes while you're moving. This takes the right shoes & a fair amount of practice.
Lay your helmet on your aero bars (hoping you have those) so that when you are facing the bike you just flip it onto your head in one smooth motion. Lay your sunglasses or glasses inside the helmet facing you, open. Practice practice practice some more, getting both on in 3-5 seconds. Lay the helmet straps just so and see how you need to grab them to buckle quickly. Neuromuscular memory.
Near the end of the bike, get your feet out of the shoes & on top of them. You can dismount without actually stopping, and run into the transition area. Before each race though, you have to check out the approach and decide exactly where you will get each foot out, so you're not cut short on distance.
Why would anyone tie a shoe anymore? I use speed laces on all my shoes (because my shoes were always untied!) For triathlon I go one step further and use slip-on no-tie shoes. You have to be able to tolerate minimalist shoes to do that. (you can see them in my race photo from ESSG)
For speed laces I like Lock Laces from Dick's. A big help when flying as well.
In any case, put baby powder in both running & biking shoes to get the wet feet in.
Put all the other stuff you need for the run (hat, race number belt, water bottle--mine has a little case I can put a gel in) on the ground and just pick them up & start running. You can put it all on while you are moving.
BTW I also apply LOTS of body glide to my arms & legs; it allows the wetsuit to just slip off. You'll want a tri-suit under it, which serves well for all 3 sports.
Most of this I learned by looking at what the really serious fast guys are doing, and not being shy about asking questions. Then trial and error and practice.
(I also rubber-band the heel of my left bike shoe to the quick-release lever on the rear wheel. I don't have to do this, and not everybody does. It holds that shoe right-side up. See if you can observe it on someone's set-up; it's a bit hard to describe. You break the rubber band when you start pedaling. )
Good luck!
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2014-06-30 6:37 PM
2014-06-30 6:40 PM

New user
Hingham, MA

That really stinks James! I agree with Steve's suggestion.. Get the word out!

The tri that I did yesterday had a mandatory swim warmup. The explanation was that it reduced the number of swim incidents/fatalities. I have never warmed up before a swim but it felt really great and I believe it helped. Yesterday was the first time I've ever started a race without getting a foot cramp at the beginning of the swim. I also wore my shoes(with orthotics) right up to the time I got in the water, so not sure which helped the most but I think the swim warmup will be a must next time! Apparently this was a very conscientious race director. Thanks James for reporting your experience, I'll certainly be doing my research before selecting future events.

Question - My decision to do the tri yesterday was kinda last minute and I really was just wanting to finish and "have fun". But since I missed 3rd in my AG by 2 mins and realized that my transition was ridiculously slow, I've decided to give some thought to A) speedlaces and B) a better solution for bike shoes(mine take forever to get on and tightened up) . Not that I feel like I'll be in the hunt for the podium in the future but I realize if you're going to be giving everything you've got out there, you don''t want to be screwing around in transition!! So I was wondering what type of bike shoes/cleats are good to use and does anyone leave the shoes attached to your pedals?

Funny you mention this, I lost 2-3 minutes in T1 yesterday. At my last triathlon I had a hard time getting my wetsuit over the transmitter on my ankle so I decided take it off and then put it back on. Well I go to put it back on and it wasn't there. I look inside the wet suit, nothing there. Look in inside my bag. nothing there. I am starting to freak out at this point. I finally found it stuck to the little bit if velcro on the collar of my setsuit. It must have brushed against and stuck when I had it on the ground, what are the chances of that happening.

On the shoe issue I go barefoot and use the elastic laces. On the bike shoes I use a pair of inexpensive Pear Izumi that I got on Nashbar. They have two velcro straps and a ratchet lockdown that seem to go on very fast. They are not leather but I find them very comfortable, even barefoot. I am not there yet with doing the in the cleat with rubber band thing but it looks really cool.

If I remember correctly Steve has a pretty good story on transtions, hopefully he will see this and share it again.

Nice job on the Tri though, especially being last minute, congratulations!

Edited by JREDFLY 2014-06-30 6:44 PM

2014-06-30 8:31 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2014-06-30 11:18 PM
in reply to: Dogpaddle

Regular

Question - My decision to do the tri yesterday was kinda last minute and I really was just wanting to finish and "have fun". But since I missed 3rd in my AG by 2 mins and realized that my transition was ridiculously slow, I've decided to give some thought to A) speedlaces and B) a better solution for bike shoes(mine take forever to get on and tightened up) . So I was wondering what type of bike shoes/cleats are good to use and does anyone leave the shoes attached to your pedals?

Townsley--

Transitions are definitely worth practice. It's pure, free time. As you point out, it's not that hard to pick up 2-3 minutes over competitors in T1 and T2 if you're on your game. In a sprint triathlon that's worth 1 minute a mile and can easily be the difference between the podium slot or watching others take home the hardware. I'm happy to say my transitions have gotten quite competitive. So, I may not be gaining time on the leaders, but I'm not giving it away either.

T1-unless it's a HIM, forget the socks. Not needed on the bike. Depending on the conditions, I'll either rubber band my shoes in place, or put them on in T1 and run in them. For me the deciding factor is the condition of the run out of T1. If good, the shoes get pre-clipped in place. If not, I'll put my shoes on and run. Like James, I have a pair of Pearl Izumi shoes with two velcro straps. With a little body glide and baby powder they instantly slide on with little effort. If I have them pre-clipped I just pull off my wetsuit, put and my helmet and grab my bike. Simple and quick. When I get to the bike mount I will either flying mount (feeling brave) or just put my leg over the seat, place my foot on top of the shoe and start peddaling. I'll go with both feet on top of the shoes until I have speed, then I'll put one foot at a time at the top of the peddle stroke, grab the big loop on the rear of the shoe and slide in my foot. Repeat for the other side. It's very quick.

T2--I appoach T2 and unstrap each shoe. I then pull my feet out and peddle with my bare feet on top of the shoes. When I get to the dismount I just put my weight on my dominant leg, swing the other leg over the seat, apply the brakes and hop off. I can then run barefoot to my transition area. Off goes the helment, I then go barefoot into my shoes. I have Pearl Izumi running shoes with elastic laces so no tightening is required. My feet slide in and I'm ready to run. I grab my hat and then clip on my run belt with number as I run out of transition.

It takes some practice, but you can get pretty fast.

Now, that said, as James notes i have had my transition mistakes. I've knocked a shoe off the cleat as I started riding. Had to stop, dismount, go back and get my shoe, put down my bike, put on my shoe and then start all over with the ride. I've knocked my shoe off the cleat entering T2. Same thing: stop, go back, grab shoe, now run with bike in one had and shoe in the other. I'm sure I looked like a total dweeb. Another time I was practicing flying mounts. After about 15 mounts I was getting a bit tired. I decided to try a couple more. I ran barefoot with my bike (shoes are clipped into the pedals), took a big leap, didn't get my leg quite high enough and caught my tri shorts on the edge of the seat. This essentially flipped me backwards over my bike and I landed on my back in the middle of the street. Hit hard enough on the back of my head to crack my helmet. I'm sure it was hilarious to any neighbors that might have been watching me for the last 20 minutes to see me suddently splayed out in the middle of the street. So, practice is good. But be careful!.

Hope that helps.

Steve

2014-07-01 3:57 AM

Spencer, New York

Wow guys... great information!! Thank you. I definitely want to buy the velcro shoes and try putting the shoes on after getting on the bike. I have a terrible time running or even walking with my bike shoes on. I also find that they throw my balance off when I'm dismounting. In the overall scheme of things I never imagined I would be worried about my time in transition but after seeing what a giant difference it can make even for someone as slow as I am I'm determined to fix this! I don't have aero bars and haven't done a wetsuit legal tri, so I'm going to focus on the run and bike shoes and practice that for now. Yikes, I'm hooked and obsessed with getting better. That was soooo much fun yesterday

Glad you had so much fun. Now you're hooked!
Here's a picture of the rubber band set up.
Do NOT get shoes like the one on the floor with the ratchet strap.
Deb

Edited by ok2try 2014-07-01 4:06 AM

(WIN_20140701_050209.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
WIN_20140701_050209.JPG (1039KB - 4 downloads)
2014-07-01 8:06 AM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: Transitions

I have said for years that there are more than three disciplines you have to train for if you are a triathlete.  Some are obvious, others, not so much.

1. Swimming
  2. Cycling
  3. Running
  4. Transition
  5. Nutrition
  6. Recovery
  7. Mental

We can have a debate about the various disciplines on another day at another time, but of note is the fact that transition is a discipline that you MUST train for, and most triathletes tend to NOT put adequate time into their transition training.

The shorter the race, the more important you transition time becomes.  Consider this, in a full Ironman, if you are REALLY fast you will be racing upwards of 10 hours, considerably longer if you are a mere mortal.  However, in a sprint triathlon, that same athlete will only be on the course for an hour or less.  That 5 minutes of total transition time "you" have, is 0.08% of a 10-hour Ironman time, whereas that same 5 minutes is 8.3% of a fast sprint triathlon time.

Time you gain in transition is 'free' time and it can make a huge difference!

I agree with what Deb said on many of her transition points, however I take a bit different view on a couple.

I use road cycling shoes that have two Velcro closures and the ratchet at the top.  You can learn to put these on fairly quickly with practice and get it down to a second or two difference.  I prefer actual road shoes vs. tri-shoes as I believe you transfer more power to the pedals with road shoes vs. tri-shoes or mountain bike shoes.  4-5 watts isn't very much I admit, but over the course of 112 miles, it adds up and will more than compensate for the couple of extra seconds it took in transition, in a sprint it is probably a wash.

I do not attach my shoes to the pedals.  If you are going to do that - PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, and then practice some more.  It is not as easy as the pros make it look on TV.  You have to be prepared for every situation - imagine you are just putting on your first shoe and 7 people are stopped or going extremely slow right in front of you.  I can attach my shoes to the pedals and run to the mount area barefoot, however my problem is I have "baby feet."  A grain of sand and I am writhing in pain!  (Yeah, I know, running around barefoot for a couple months will fix that).  Getting from the water to T1 is enough of a barefoot challenge for me on race day  thank you very much!  I prefer putting my cycling shoes on in T1.

I use socks on anything longer than a sprint.  Developing a blister will cost you far more in time than the few seconds it takes to put socks on in T1, or change socks in T2 if need be (thinking passing portapotties here), and having a blister can easily end up as a DNF.  If you are going to consider running without socks - DO THAT IN TRAINING FIRST.  Remember, nothing new on race day.

Practicing your transitions will significantly improve your time through transition.  I set up my transition area and then start 10 yards out and time myself from that start point, through T1 or T2, back to the 10 yard mark.  Find what works for YOU to make your transitions faster.

Edited by k9car363 2014-07-01 8:14 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48180 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51174 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19846 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31