of 42

2007-07-12 3:39 PM
in reply to: #804244

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Subject: RE: triOK's Group - CLOSED
Robyn,
Late to reply, but I did want to say, sorry about the divorce. That sucks. The nice thing about our little group, IMHO, is that we all cheer each other on and share from our own experiences, so we all "mentor" each other. Glad your back, though!
On a racing note, go great guns on your Du!!

I did my first PT session for the ol' hip....I think I'll go lay down, now. Dang, she taught me some exercises that may be outlawed as human rights violations by the UN. I did them, but my body jackhammered the entire time...kind of sad, really!

Erin, you learn that medieval torture stuff, well and "GUNS UP" to you, too! I really enjoyed Tech. Nice community and fun university.

Good going to all of the racers this weekend!

2007-07-12 3:47 PM
in reply to: #880652

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
kriscrn - 2007-07-11 8:25 AM

I'm just outside Dallas.

Not that I am advocating joining this club, but the Tom Landry Center does loads of triathlon stuff (bricks, clinics, OWS) and there are some great tri-clubs in the area, depending on which suburb you occupy! Welcome to Texas, girl!

This link is one of the better listings for all of the triathlons in the state: http://www.trifind.com/tx.html. To those not in Texas, the link has all of the states listed on the lower left side, just in case you want to look up some decent races in your area...or visit one of ours and hang with wicked cool Neil Diamond fans while preparing for your race....

Your southern neighbor,
Vanessa
2007-07-12 6:06 PM
in reply to: #883659

User image

Expert

I am glad that Neil Diamond has grabbed your attention, but Aaron is multi facteted.  He can also sing every lyric tyo every song on the Bon Jovi "Slippery when Wet" album.

Shot to the heart and your to blame.......finish it Firstriguy!!!!!

2007-07-13 12:08 AM
in reply to: #883815

User image

Regular

I still strap on my Bon Jovi butt hugger jeans from time to time just to get a rise from the ladies and Gator22

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
Darling, you give love a bad name

An angel's smile is what you sell
You promise me heaven then put me through hell
Chains of love got a hold on me
When passion's a prison you can't break free
You're... You're a loaded gun ... yeah
Oh - there's nowhere to run
No one can save me, the damage is done

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
You give love a bad name
I play my part and you play your game
You give love a bad name
You give love a bad name

You paint your smile on your lips
Blood red nails on your fingertips
A school boy's dream, you act so shy
Your very first kiss was your first kiss goodbye
Oh - you're a loaded gun
No - there's nowhere to run

No one can save me, the damage is done

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
You give love a bad name
You give love a bad name
You give love.....

Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
You give love a bad name
You give love a bad name
Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
You give love a bad name
You give love a bad name
You give love....
You give love a bad name
You give love....
You give love a bad name
You give love....
You give love a bad name ....

Edited by firstriguy 2007-07-13 12:16 AM
2007-07-13 12:14 AM

User image

Regular

On a serious note.

I have been sick all week with a lower and upper respiratory cold.  As of Wed, I thought I would definitely not race.  Today I feel a lot better.  I would guess about 85-90 % better than yesterday.  I ran today just to see how I would feel.  I was slower and weaker than normal, but it was not terrible.  Should I race on Saturday?  Should I go under the realization that I will not do well or should I forfeit my $70 and rest more.  My lungs have cleared out but I still have some sinus issues.

2007-07-13 12:44 AM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
My humble opinion: trust your gut and do what feels right, you are the only person who can make that decision. Err on the side of health, though! Can you transfer your registration to next year or another event? Maybe you can volunteer so that you get the tri vibes and good karma? Let us know....

2007-07-13 6:04 AM
in reply to: #884094

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Medusa_Ann - 2007-07-13 1:44 AM My humble opinion: trust your gut and do what feels right, you are the only person who can make that decision. Err on the side of health, though! Can you transfer your registration to next year or another event? Maybe you can volunteer so that you get the tri vibes and good karma? Let us know....

Medusa_Ann is right on the money.  Make it a race day decision.  And if you do decide to race, keep in mind that you are sick.  Pick on aspect that you want to work on and do that well and just take the rest as a Tempo race. 

2007-07-13 7:26 AM
in reply to: #884083

User image

Expert

I bet that you racing "sick" would smoke a lot of people racing "well". I am never "well". At least that is what the department doctor keeps saying.

"They're coming to take me away........."

2007-07-13 8:03 AM
in reply to: #884083

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Firsttriguy,
A couple of posts back, Dan the marvelous triathlete made a comment that really helped me, when trying to decide to do a race. I will paraphrase, but not every race has to be an "A" race. When I forgot my bike helmet on a race recently, it became an opportunity to practice an OWS. You really don't have to decide until you get to the race area, if you know you don't want to go ahead and no show, due to your health. And, I do have to agree with gator, you going out in a weaker condition may very well still be able to whip up on many of your fellow racers! Snort a little warm salt water and kick some tail, if you can!

Hey, Gator, where ever they're taking you, I'll leave the light on for you!
2007-07-13 10:04 AM

User image

Robyn - Sorry to hear about your issues outiside of Tri world. Let me echo everyone on this board and give a big thanks for all your support and mentoring!

Firstriguy - Sounds like the worst of it is over.. so even if you have to take it easy, I say go for it. Just make sure you get sleep before hand. I know these races kill me b/c I have to get up so early even when I'm healthy.
2007-07-13 1:15 PM
in reply to: #875438

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest
Hey guys,
I am asking this question again....I didn't get any answers the first time around, and I really value your opinions.....thank you in advance! TGIF!

Medusa_Ann - 2007-07-06 10:05 PM

Re: overtraining.....

I am trying to figure out exactly what to do for my "race season" as far as training and would love your input.

So far I have been doing a 4-wk training cycle, increasing 10% each week and dropping 40% week 4...like the BT training plans recommend. I have three weeks (edit:now 2) until my first triathlon. I am in week 2 (ending Sat) so will increase 10% next week. (Ending week 3 this week now) Then, I am planning to taper 25% the following week and then another 25% the week prior to my race. I will then have 3 weeks until my second tri--how should I train in between races? And again, following that race, I will have 4 weeks until my final tri of the season. Suggestions? They are all sprint distance, by the way.

Thanks, and good luck to anyone racing this weekend!!

2007-07-13 1:27 PM
in reply to: #884940

User image

Veteran
Virginia

Medusa_Ann - 2007-07-13 2:15 PM Hey guys, I am asking this question again....I didn't get any answers the first time around, and I really value your opinions.....thank you in advance! TGIF!
Medusa_Ann - 2007-07-06 10:05 PM Re: overtraining..... I am trying to figure out exactly what to do for my "race season" as far as training and would love your input. So far I have been doing a 4-wk training cycle, increasing 10% each week and dropping 40% week 4...like the BT training plans recommend. I have three weeks (edit:now 2) until my first triathlon. I am in week 2 (ending Sat) so will increase 10% next week. (Ending week 3 this week now) Then, I am planning to taper 25% the following week and then another 25% the week prior to my race. I will then have 3 weeks until my second tri--how should I train in between races? And again, following that race, I will have 4 weeks until my final tri of the season. Suggestions? They are all sprint distance, by the way. Thanks, and good luck to anyone racing this weekend!!

Is one of those races your "A" race?  If so, I would concentrate on that one and not worry about tapering as long for the "B" races.

2007-07-13 1:29 PM
in reply to: #884967

User image

Veteran
Okiehoma
erjellum - 2007-07-13 2:27 PM

Medusa_Ann - 2007-07-13 2:15 PM Hey guys, I am asking this question again....I didn't get any answers the first time around, and I really value your opinions.....thank you in advance! TGIF!
Medusa_Ann - 2007-07-06 10:05 PM Re: overtraining..... I am trying to figure out exactly what to do for my "race season" as far as training and would love your input. So far I have been doing a 4-wk training cycle, increasing 10% each week and dropping 40% week 4...like the BT training plans recommend. I have three weeks (edit:now 2) until my first triathlon. I am in week 2 (ending Sat) so will increase 10% next week. (Ending week 3 this week now) Then, I am planning to taper 25% the following week and then another 25% the week prior to my race. I will then have 3 weeks until my second tri--how should I train in between races? And again, following that race, I will have 4 weeks until my final tri of the season. Suggestions? They are all sprint distance, by the way. Thanks, and good luck to anyone racing this weekend!!

Is one of those races your "A" race? If so, I would concentrate on that one and not worry about tapering as long for the "B" races.

I was gonna say what he said with the addendum that I do not know shite about it all really because I have not done by first one yet. :P 

2007-07-13 1:36 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I have 3 weeks between my two races, so I was planning on repeating the last 3 weeks of the plan I'm on after the first race.  That will allow for a build up again, then another taper.

As I get there, I'll modify it though as I see fit depending on how the first race goes.  If I turn out weaker than I thought in any of the events, I'll concentrate on that one a bit more.

2007-07-13 2:10 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
Gross question for all of you...
Does anyone have problems with their stomach being upset after a long run???
I've heard of people having problems with this but haven't ever heard how to deal with it. I haven't looked to close at what I eat before I run so that may have an impact...but it happens almost everytime and I'm not real consistant with eating the same thing everytime, so I don't think thats it. Any experience with this or am I just strange and sharing too much information???
2007-07-13 2:21 PM

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
I don't wanna clean my house or do laundry........I'm procrastinating, I'm good at that. Someone wanna be my wife for the day?????

2007-07-13 2:22 PM
in reply to: #885059

User image

Nah, that's not gross.. it could get much worse! I don't really seem to have problems AFTER long, uh "runs".. in fact, once I cool down I'm usually starving! Does your hydration seem to have any impact? For ex worse after a long run on a hot day, etc..

My intestinal problems without fail occur before any race that is early (which is just about all of them). I think it must have something to do with jolting my body out of REM and digestion processes that normally have all night to work... Add to that the nerves of a race day, and needless to say I'm on the porta potty line for sure.

Isn't racing fun!

2007-07-13 4:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS

Do you mean like your stomach hurts? Or you get heartburn? I sometimes get heartburn when I go all out...I think my gait becomes less smooth.

I have had stomach problems for years until just recently...I learned that when I do food combining, my stomach issues nearly disappear. (I've changed my eating habits to the Suzanne Somers method of food combining right now, and it's helped me tremendously...and I'm not even looking to lose weight.)

Or...did I misunderstand: are saying you get a bad case of the poops?

Edited by grnidone 2007-07-13 4:12 PM
2007-07-14 3:05 PM
in reply to: #885318

User image

Regular
Lubbock, TX
grnidone - 2007-07-13 4:11 PM

Or...did I misunderstand: are saying you get a bad case of the poops?

Yeah...the runs....
2007-07-14 9:27 PM

User image

LOL... nothing is too much information around here!  We are triathletes!  Have you read the forums on this site?  There are entire threads about how to pee ON THE BIKE!!!  Yeah, we have no shame.

I don't usually have GI issues, so I really don't have much help to offer here.

2007-07-14 9:30 PM
in reply to: #885085

User image

erhoffma - 2007-07-13 2:21 PM I don't wanna clean my house or do laundry........I'm procrastinating, I'm good at that. Someone wanna be my wife for the day?????

I want a wife too.  I already asked Dan if I could have his... Nancy is COOL!

2007-07-15 5:28 PM
in reply to: #886149

User image

Hey gang.. how did everyone do today? I had a pretty good race ( not as good as last week) but not bad... except for almost getting killed in a head-on with a biker on his way into T2. Ugh.. This sport can be dangerious!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2007-07-16 8:47 AM
in reply to: #885944

User image

Veteran
Waco, Texas
Hey erhoffma,

I have struggled off and on with this issue. For me, I have to do two things. One thing is timing training with the all important BM. I have found I cannot go run if I haven't gone to the bathroom...the results are not pretty . The other thing is watching what I eat the meal prior to a run. For me, this was a process of elimination/experimentation. Milk and ice cream cause me problems, but yogurt doesn't. My sister in law has found that bananas and cantaloupe create the "urge" in her. It's different for everyone, but it's a process of discovering what triggers the urge in you. Once you figure it out, I can imagine you'll be out tearing up the trails around Ransom Canyon Lake!! Guns Up!

2007-07-16 11:44 AM
in reply to: #886608

User image

rperissi - 2007-07-15 5:28 PM Hey gang.. how did everyone do today? I had a pretty good race ( not as good as last week) but not bad... except for almost getting killed in a head-on with a biker on his way into T2. Ugh.. This sport can be dangerious! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=83576[/QUOTE]

I did okay this weekend.  First in my AG and 5th overall, so can't complain there.  However, my time was slower this year than last year but only by a minute or so.  It POURED on the bike, and considering about 1/3 of the people that raced went down I will be happy with my time.

Great job!

2007-07-16 12:37 PM
in reply to: #887569

User image

Expert
Nice job with the races!! As for the other issue. It seems that the bathroom is a huge deal in endurance sports. There is more "potty talk" on theses forums than in my boys bunkbeds when I turn the light off at night.....
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 42