BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2008-03-09 9:59 PM
in reply to: #1261915

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Pshorty's Group-FULL-CONGRATS BILL PR and B-Day!!
wyndswept - 2008-03-09 9:01 PM

I decided I HATE this bottle. So, what are my other options? Are there better aero bottles out there? Why don't I see road bikers or triathletes using the slim camelbacks? I love my camelback for mountain biking - I don't get it.

I'll start by saying that I don't use an aero bottle, so I can't help you with particulars on that. In terms of camel backs, some people do use them on longer races and some pros use to use them as a way to keep themselves cool on the bike. It will, no doubt, make you less aero but if you are aero and dehydrated you are still dehydrated which means you are screwed. What about behind the seat setups?

2008-03-09 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1090141

User image

DC
All I've heard is bad things about PD's aerodrink. Except from Bill; he seems to like his. I've also heard bad things about their aerobars though so who knows.
2008-03-10 10:40 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
I had to completely unfold the sponge and roll it back up into more layers, making it thicker.  I love it because I hate coming out of aero to get water (I'm not quite to the point of getting to a bottle in aero yet).

Edited by sesh 2008-03-10 10:40 AM
2008-03-10 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

and that was my first post in this group from my new office digs

2008-03-10 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1262820

User image

Regular
sesh - 2008-03-10 11:41 AM

and that was my first post in this group from my new office digs

i thought your posts had different air about them.
2008-03-10 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1262919

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
I'm acting quite corporate with the ipod stuck in the ihome radio thing.  I'm sure there's many more people who work for banks rocking out to Queen and Interpol while they figure out some debt coverages.

2008-03-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1263264

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
sesh - 2008-03-10 11:08 AM

I'm acting quite corporate with the ipod stuck in the ihome radio thing. I'm sure there's many more people who work for banks rocking out to Queen and Interpol while they figure out some debt coverages.

I am currently at work rocking out to Beastie Boys!
2008-03-10 2:07 PM
in reply to: #1263330

User image

DC
wyndswept - 2008-03-10 2:32 PM

sesh - 2008-03-10 11:08 AM

I'm acting quite corporate with the ipod stuck in the ihome radio thing. I'm sure there's many more people who work for banks rocking out to Queen and Interpol while they figure out some debt coverages.

I am currently at work rocking out to Beastie Boys!

I'm currently in my apartment rocking out to the Rolling Stones.
I slept through my swim and never go to my Monday class.
Mmm college.
2008-03-10 3:56 PM

User image

Regular
This talk of music reminded me of something that I was thinking about yesterday while running. I usually only wear my ipod when running if it's a pretty long run or a short recovery run, but I listen to music that is decidedly uninspiring. Yesterday I listened to Belle and Sebastien and Elliot Smith. I think I may have even listened to a little Cat Power. I came to the conclusion that Belle and Sebastien is the best thing to listen to while running. They even have several songs about track.

I am very, very, very untough.
2008-03-10 4:00 PM

User image

Regular
I meant to ask everyone what they listen to. I know that Candace listens to the Dead and other gypsyish type music
2008-03-10 8:55 PM

User image

DC
Any rock, techno, and selected rap/hip-hop for working out.
Not working out pretty much anything goes, really, even classical when I'm studying.

2008-03-10 9:00 PM
in reply to: #1263782

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

OASIS!!

Editors, The Bravery, Arctic Monkeys, Modest Mouse, Stereophonics, Muse, Queen, David Bowie, The Pretenders, Kaiser Chiefs, Gomez, Interpol.

I have one guilty pleasure song:  Umbrella by Rhianna

2008-03-10 10:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Portland

kanye west and jay-z get the heaviest rotation on my running mixes. i Always run with music.  also recommend the podrunner mixes, if you haven't heard of it it's a free podcast download of super fast music, i think it comes out once a week. google it.

2008-03-10 11:52 PM
in reply to: #1263782

User image

Regular
Solana Beach, CA
pshorty - 2008-03-10 2:00 PM

I meant to ask everyone what they listen to. I know that Candace listens to the Dead and other gypsyish type music

This is a great question. I have my ipod all setup for running but I never take it with me. I only use it when I am stuck on a treadmill. I really like hearing the sounds of my shoes (I try to keep my pounding to a minimum), my breathing, cars, lawn mowers, birds, kids, dogs. I think I avoided music for safety reasons (cars and creepy people) but now I really like to hear what is going on around me and think crazy thoughts.

Sometimes I have old songs pop up in my head:
"Ain't nothing gonna break my stride, oh no, I've got to keep on movin'"
"You ain't seen nothin' yet, no, baby, you just ain't seen nothin' yet."

Oh, and for the record, the jam band stuff SUCKS for workouts. I am in the process of making a playlist of my music that has a faster beat.

Anyone like DJ Rekha - Basement Bhangra? That is my new favorite upbeat album.
2008-03-12 7:56 AM

User image

DC
Hey everyone!
Guess everyone's having a busy week- this is our last week before spring break so teachers really are laying on the work. Not much time to train

Good news though, someone at my school decided to start a triathlon club. We had our first meeting last night, and it sounds like we won't be doing much teach stuff until next year after I graduate, but they have sent out ideas for races we could all go to together, just not officially because we have to get university recognition or something. It was really nice of these two to start a club, but they really don't know much- neither of them have a bike and they totally blanked when someone asked about wetsuits. I've been trying to help out- they actually suggested that we train for the bike portions on the stationarys! *cringe* A friend and I tried to get a poll of people who actually had road bikes so maybe that will go over a little better.
Anyone have experience with triathlon clubs? Any ideas?

Also because of the club I have signed up for another race, a sprint tri on March 29, but they were really focusing on the relays. I wanted to do it all myself but I decided to be a team player and I'm doing the whopping 300m swim (in a pool). I think we've got a pretty good team going, though. I'me excited.

Also signed up for a 3 mile swim prep race for Bay Swim. There is only one other girl in my age group signed up so I think I will at least place in that

Happy hump day!
2008-03-12 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Grace-
Here is a link to our local university club if you want some ideas:

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~triclub/index.html

They put on two races each year--a duathlon in the spring and a triathlon in the early fall.

I haven't had much dealing with them but I know that they have fun. I think all the big ten schools have some sort of triathlon club and compete within already established races, i.e., they don't always have their own university-only races but will use local races to compete with different college teams.

2008-03-13 8:31 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

I wish we had a tri club around here that was organized and more active.  All we basically have is a Yahoo group and email list.  We do meet for open water swims in the summer, but that is about the extent of the team training.

In other news, does anyone know where the third largest St. Paddy's day parade in the states is? 

Jackson, MS

Yep, right behind Boston and Chicago is good ol' Jackson.  Complete with the Sweet Potato Queens.  Google them and get freaked out.  It's pretty cool that this is the 26th parade, and they just had the inaugural MS Blues Marathon in January, so they're playing off that.  The grand marshal of the parade is the the lady that finished DFL in the marathon.  She weighed over 400 pounds at one point and through surgery, diet, and excercise she was at 175 pounds for the marathon.  So they are spoofing it, but also promoting some good stuff.  There's a 5k, donations go the children's hospital, Let's Go Walkin' Mississippi (an ad campaign for healthy living) stuff will be plastered everywhere.  Pretty cool.  Oh, and the after party is legendary.  You'll probably find me at Fenian's, one of the best Irish pubs I've been to, chowing down on boxty and drinking pints of Guinness.

For one weekend a year, go green means something entirely different.

2008-03-13 4:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Bikers,

Check out this thread and let me know what you think. The deals look insane, and for as many times as I said I think I'm close to buying a bike -- this time I feel like I'll make the call today. Bill, Paul, other velophiles -- what do you think?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=106063&start=1 

2008-03-13 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1270707

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
TheMaz - 2008-03-13 4:46 PM

Bikers,

Check out this thread and let me know what you think. The deals look insane, and for as many times as I said I think I'm close to buying a bike -- this time I feel like I'll make the call today. Bill, Paul, other velophiles -- what do you think?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=106063&start=1 

I would jump all over that Fara, and I mean immediately.  The components and wheels are easily worth more than $600.

2008-03-13 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
All of those are insane deals though.  It would be hard not to get one of those at that price.  I'm even sitting here thinking about ordering one of the tri bikes.
2008-03-13 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Albany, NY

Yeah -- thats the one I decided upon. Sold! Now I've got to start searching for a pedal set.

(And those tri bikes are SWEET looking.)

Fara

Javelin 7005 butted aluminum frame with carbon seatstays and 11/8" Hammerhead integrated head tube. Featuring Campagnolo Veloce 10-speed Ergo shifting components, Velomax Vista wheelset, and carbon fork. This bicycle comes ready for race day. Slide in your water bottle and go.

2008-03-13 8:13 PM

User image

Regular
Those prices are bonkers. You got a great deal. I'm sure you'll love it.

-Paul
2008-03-14 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
What's everyone got planned for the weekend. Chris is probably going to be doing wheelies on his new bike if he starts to feeling better. Bill will be St. Paddy's day celebrating/drinking until he feels like Chris did. What about everyone else?
2008-03-14 2:09 PM
in reply to: #1272506

User image

DC
pshorty - 2008-03-14 2:54 PM

What's everyone got planned for the weekend. Chris is probably going to be doing wheelies on his new bike if he starts to feeling better. Bill will be St. Paddy's day celebrating/drinking until he feels like Chris did. What about everyone else?

Spring break started 2 hours ago when I emailed in my paper 5k race tomorrow (well 3.14 miles- Pi Day race!!), painting Sunday, and leave Monday morning for Oregon. Odd spring break destination but I'm excited.
What about you Paul?
2008-03-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1272542

User image

Regular
Good Lord, you love to paint!!!

I don't have any special plans. I think I might do a 5 k tomorrow morning and then go look at bikes. I think I am seeing that "vantage point" movie tonight.

Speaking of movies, I watched "No Country for Old Men" while on the trainer the other day and I can't get that "what business is it of yours where I'm from...Friend-O?" line out of my head. In fact, I constantly look for reasons to say it throughout the day. Is this normal?

-Paul
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Pshorty's Group-GO NATHAN!!! Rss Feed  

of 33