BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2008-02-04 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1091616

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
Subject: RE: kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED
hey guys
i had a good january. i'm down a few pounds. i made my running goal (barely) of 60 miles.
my sister had her baby on the 31st. george frederic--he's BEAUTIFUL and wonderful in every way.
feb goals:
run goal of 40 miles (not much i know, but the roads are still really bad)
i need some serious T.I.T.S i haven't ridden my bike hardly at all the last few months, and as much as i don't live that part of it, i need to get on there and ride.
i'd love to drop another 5 pounds or so this month.

i have a sprint race in april and a half mary in may that i am so freaking excited about. other than that, i'm just doing what i do,

2008-02-04 6:35 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Hey Lyssa - I will join you on the crusade for more T.I.T.S - although with all the torrential rain here I think it will be mostly indoors...

I think Feb for me will be the month of the bike... oh and the month of trying to figure out why I havent lost any weight!

2008-02-04 7:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver, British Columbia

I'm going to be one of those people for a moment who's jaw drops at hearing about your 4.5 km swims!!  Way impressive.

And to all of your who saw numbers on the scale drop I am equally impressed giving you a standing ovation!!

February will be speed month for me, focusing on the run in prep for my sprint in march and my first run race ever in 2 weeks.  I am very confident and finally admitting to myself that I am not going to have a problem with the distance of the sprint.  I can definitly finish, so I would like to improve what my time would be as much as I can. For the bike, its just going to be figuring out how to race that particular course (and I am sure I will pick all your brains as the race approaches). As for the swim and the run I am noticing that I have very consistant pacing no matter how hard I feel like I am working.  So I think it's time for intervals. The training plan I'm following has some decent swim intervals but is lacking ideas for the run.  Anyone know of any good ones? I want to focus feburary for training my weakness- the run!  

2008-02-04 7:58 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Wow. Congrats to all you racers from this past weekend! We are turning into an impressive group of athletes. My coach has informed me that now we will be building up my run for my first race of 2008, a 10K on March 1st. I am gonna do whatever she says because she BQ'd in her marathon this passed weekend. She ran it in 3:21:11 beating the second place girl in her age group by over 20 minutes. I think she knows what she's talking about. Trying to get back on the clean eating wagon after Super Bowl madness yesterday. I did really good sticking with veggies until someone brought out homemade apple-walnut pie a la mode. It was warm and the ice cream melted into a wonderful vanilla river over the pie. And that's all I'll say about that

2008-02-04 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1194346

User image

Master
barqhead - 2008-02-04 5:58 PM

Wow. Congrats to all you racers from this past weekend! We are turning into an impressive group of athletes. My coach has informed me that now we will be building up my run for my first race of 2008, a 10K on March 1st. I am gonna do whatever she says because she BQ'd in her marathon this passed weekend. She ran it in 3:21:11 beating the second place girl in her age group by over 20 minutes. I think she knows what she's talking about. Trying to get back on the clean eating wagon after Super Bowl madness yesterday. I did really good sticking with veggies until someone brought out homemade apple-walnut pie a la mode. It was warm and the ice cream melted into a wonderful vanilla river over the pie. And that's all I'll say about that

pam-who's your coach?? she sounds AWESOME!
2008-02-04 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1194465

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
lyssa-gator - 2008-02-04 10:07 PM

barqhead - 2008-02-04 5:58 PM

pam-who's your coach?? she sounds AWESOME!

Katie Malone - Malone Coaching. She is a local elite triathlete. Very nice and down to earth. She's done every distance tri and made it to Kona in 2002. Can't say enough good things about her!

2008-02-05 3:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Your coach sounds great.  I thought about getting a coach, maybe down the road.  Hope everyone is doing great this week!
2008-02-05 7:48 PM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana

I am so excited! I have found a swim coach! There is a USAT coach in Temple, TX (just up the road from me) and a few other ladies doing tri-training with her, to include some group rides.  Every Wed night at 7PM they swim (with coaching) doing drills, etc.! So, looks like I may have found some common souls in the same area as me.  I cannot tell you how excited this makes me as I have been totally by myself here.  It'd take too long to go through, but being an officer in a military town truly limits who you can be friends with, etc.  Training was the only thing keeping me sane and not focusing on it.  Now, it may provide the social interaction I was looking for, and some coaching to make me better! Woohoo!

2008-02-05 7:51 PM
in reply to: #1196211

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
TexasMPGal - 2008-02-05 8:48 PM

I am so excited! I have found a swim coach! There is a USAT coach in Temple, TX (just up the road from me) and a few other ladies doing tri-training with her, to include some group rides.  Every Wed night at 7PM they swim (with coaching) doing drills, etc.! So, looks like I may have found some common souls in the same area as me.  I cannot tell you how excited this makes me as I have been totally by myself here.  It'd take too long to go through, but being an officer in a military town truly limits who you can be friends with, etc.  Training was the only thing keeping me sane and not focusing on it.  Now, it may provide the social interaction I was looking for, and some coaching to make me better! Woohoo!

Yay! It's nice to have training friends. They don't make you feel like a nut job or a bore when you talk about working out.

2008-02-05 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenbelt, MD

Heya guys, great job with everything going with y'all....how awesome...you guys rock.

Quick update. I finished the Jan challenge just in time and made my goal with less than a mile over. I'll never be accused of being an overachiever. I'm up for 27 miles (I think) for February and I'm already behind thanks to an injury I incurred last Friday (read below).

Friday I signed up for that New Triathlete Program from the DC Tri club...registration closed in 35 minutes (125 participants total). Then about 2 hours later I promptly dropped a 12 pound mirror on my left big toe. So, yeah, that put the kibosh on my workouts for the weekend. In fact today was my first attempt to run and I'm happy to say really no pain except when I had to grab my toes to stretch my hamstrings. But, I was surprised at how good my foot felt (now granted I was slower than normal...which seems almost impossible).

Now if only my sick cat would get better (we're off to the vet tomorrow). I get so worried about my kitty kids sometimes. At least I'm resisting the urge to go to the emergency vet since I know she's sick but not THAT sick. If I give in to that urge, I might be riding a bike from good will this summer because talk about expensive!

Well that's all from here. I get to meet all the super skinny members of this new triathlete program on Thursday at a happy hour. I'm sure it'll be another boon to my self esteem (I've decided to be a little self deprecating and think of myself as a service to everyone else...that way none of them have to be last on any of our workouts...well except maybe in the pool...skinny people luckily sink!).

2008-02-05 9:26 PM
in reply to: #1196211

User image

Champion
Sydney
TexasMPGal - 2008-02-06 12:48 PM

Thats awesome Britt! It sounds perfect!!!!

2008-02-05 9:29 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Ow Kelley! Good news that toe is healing quick... I hope the triathlong program is a lot of fun!
2008-02-06 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Brit - that is so great on finding a swim instructor, and some people with the same interests.  That wil make it fun for you. 

Kelley - I am so sorry to hear about your toe and your cat.  I hoep they are both ok.  Congrats on signing up with the tri group.  I know that will be so much fun.

Today is Wednesday, weekly weigh in day, starting weight 157.8, today's weight 146.8.  I am down 11 pounds in 5 weeks.  Yippee!  I feel so much better and my clothes are finally starting to fit normally again.  Still doing the same thing I have always done, eating 1,200 - 1,500 calories a day and following my training plan.  No fast food, soda or alcohol. 

Brit -  I have taken the same approach with my food as I have my workouts.  I get to choose what I eat and what I don't.  So, I get to eat healthy and workout.  Others give me a hard time for it, but I just blow them off.  Did you ever think that 1 little line would have so much of an impact? 

2008-02-06 8:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Just realized, that I am more than 10 pounds down, treat time!  Not sure what it is going to be yet. 

Edited by excited2tri 2008-02-06 8:30 AM
2008-02-06 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Dia, that is awesome!!! WAY TO GO! It is amazing how training the mind and adjusting our outlook can totally help us achieve our goals.  I think and have experienced myself how much the mind can either be a huge mental wall that keeps you from moving forward, or it can be the driving factor to make us better.  I think any athletic venture requires not just training the body for the sport, but training the mind.  I don't mean slipping into some weird trance--totally not my thing there...what I do mean is the focusing like you've done, the change of outlook, and even prior to a race or event, rehearsing in your mind different scenarios, different actions.  I've read in a lot of places that this truly does help athletes prepare and perform better.  Not just brawn, definitely requires brain!
2008-02-06 10:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Congrats on the 10lbs.  I vote a facial for the "treat".

I've been doing well on eating well this week and your words about mental attitude help a lot!!

American's abroad had a voting station in a pub so we went to vote for super tuesday last night .  And while all my friends had beer in the voting booth I chose water.  I had reached my calorie goal for the day so water was my friend.  Then they were going to hear a band at another pub and I chose to go home instead- listened to my body that was tired at 9:30pm from my workout that day and I get to do a run today so I chose resting and taking care of myself over liver damage.  THAT, is quite a change for me. But it was definitly the right call and i'm pretty proud of that.

have a great wednesday everyone!!

2008-02-06 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1196989

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Out4atime - 2008-02-06 10:04 AM

Congrats on the 10lbs.  I vote a facial for the "treat".

I've been doing well on eating well this week and your words about mental attitude help a lot!!

American's abroad had a voting station in a pub so we went to vote for super tuesday last night .  And while all my friends had beer in the voting booth I chose water.  I had reached my calorie goal for the day so water was my friend.  Then they were going to hear a band at another pub and I chose to go home instead- listened to my body that was tired at 9:30pm from my workout that day and I get to do a run today so I chose resting and taking care of myself over liver damage.  THAT, is quite a change for me. But it was definitly the right call and i'm pretty proud of that.

have a great wednesday everyone!!

That is a HUGE accomplishment!  Congrats!  You should give yourself a great big pat on the back.

btw, my husband (1for1) is your captain in the Feb Challenge.  Small BT world, isn't it. 

2008-02-06 10:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

ME vs. CHOCOLATE CAKE.... My arch rival, my nemisis, my indulgent savior, my fav....

So who won you ask?  Well... I think I DID!  I knew it was coming and at dinner I passed it once, I passed it twice, and I held out... and then gave in... but I cut a 4 inch square peice in half  and then only ate 1/2 of that!!! AND I didn't go back for seconds!!!

so the current score is:

Chocolate cake:100 (give or take a few hundreds)

Me: 1 (but it's a start!!

Hurray for small victories! What's yours for the week?

2008-02-06 10:47 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Wow nice job on the chocolate cake... I didnt fair so well with the triple choc fudge cookie... and Im going out for dinner tonight!
2008-02-06 11:20 PM

User image

Master
you guys are awesome! everything about you is awesome (i sound like a happy drunk, but i'm not)
no seriously, the 10 pounds is AMAZING, the victory over the chocolate cake is AMAZING, the drinking water instead of beer is AMAZING. the mental hurdle that was overcome--that's right--AMAZING!!
i'm on a baking binge, but yay for me, i'm really not eating any of it. it started yesterday-dh asked for small-thin baked till they were almost burned sugar cookies-naturally i agreed, since this sounded SO revolting to me! (i like cookies that are practically raw) so he got home about 11pm last night and the cookies were gone before 3pm today, i had already told the kids i would make them snickerdoodles (again, not my total fav) so i did that, THEN when dh ran out of sugar cookies, he was kind of pouting, and i already had all my baking stuff out, so i just made him another batch. can you spell E-N-A-B-L-E-R ?? LOL anyway, he's trying to lose weight (really REALLY trying LOL) so today was the last time i can indulge him. he gets fussy at me when there's too much sweets around-so when he ASKS me for treats, well, i should say no, but i don't oh well.
ANYWAY, after all THAT. i decided that since i'd spent the day baking, and hadn't had anything for myself, i made some apple crisp, since that's what i like, and i have been nibbling on it. trying not to go all out and eat the whole pan, but right now i think i've had enough.
i DID manage to get a run in there, with all that baking, so i feel a LITTLE better about indulging in some apple crisp (besides! it's FRUIT, and i wouldn't want to get...i don't know...scurvy or something LOL )
SO that's all there is to THAT.
tomorrow dh is off again, NO BAKING, i already put my foot down. and i'm hoping to run twice tomorrow. i really feel great when i do that, and it's killer on my mileage which also feels pretty darn good.
ok guys, i'm off to watch a movie with dh, will chat with ya later
2008-02-07 12:24 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Soooooo impressed that you baked and baked and baked and didn't indulge in cookie dough!!! Cookie dough is a huge weakness for me- I get it from my mom.  We once chased each other around the kitchen fighting for it! It was hilarious. But to bake all that definitly takes some willpower.  Does apple crisp freeze at all?  That might be a way to avoid eating the whole pan.  finding a way to store indivdiual peices might work too.  Or just put it in the back of the fridge or pantry. Wow, 2 runs in one day... that's awesome!!!

7:30 swim in the morning for me although I am discovering that I am not a huge fan of working out in the morning.  Mentally not into it and physically not to happy either.  But that's when there's 50m pool available and I have a friend to walk with so I will get in the pool-- but I am starting to have a bad habit of quitting half way through the workout and coming back to finish it later in the day in the 25m pool.

2008-02-07 7:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC

Everything in moderation!    Great job team....if you deny yourself your favorite thing, that is when you just go nuts and eat everything.  A piece of chocolate cake, apple crisp, isn't going to kill you.  Have a piece and enjoy.  I, on the other hand, love red wine.  I have cut it out for 3 months, but looking forward to adding that back to my diet, in moderation, of course. 

I think everyone is doing just great.  Have a great Thursday all!

2008-02-07 4:19 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

At least meeting a friend in the mornins should get you out of bed! Im still failing miserably in that regard... its meant to be summer here but all its been doing for weeks is raining....

Sounds like everyone is doing awesome!

2008-02-07 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1199888

User image

Extreme Veteran
kaqphin - 2008-02-07 2:19 PM

At least meeting a friend in the mornins should get you out of bed! Im still failing miserably in that regard... its meant to be summer here but all its been doing for weeks is raining....

but at the same time you guys really need the rain right?  haven't you been in a drought for several years?

2008-02-07 7:44 PM
in reply to: #1200142

User image

Champion
Sydney
Out4atime - 2008-02-08 11:36 AM
kaqphin - 2008-02-07 2:19 PM

but at the same time you guys really need the rain right?  haven't you been in a drought for several years?

Forever... water restrictions are standard most places here now...

Its more a matter of the fact a lot of the rain isnt reaching the places that really need it out, the dams and the rural areas...

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kaqphin (Super Cat's) Mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44