BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-03-02 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2701869

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: nevergivin's group (Closed)

I need to dig out my HRM and up the intensity of my workouts, its time to get painful!

What are your thoughts on heart rate training? 

2010-03-02 9:19 PM
in reply to: #2703654

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2010-03-02 7:07 PM

I need to dig out my HRM and up the intensity of my workouts, its time to get painful!

What are your thoughts on heart rate training? 

I know its not the best method or most accurate, but for me its affordable and practical as compared to a coach or power meter on the bike, I dont use it for swimming but for running and biking it gives me a range to shoot for so that I am pushing hard enough, otherwise I typically will not go hard enough. I am also doing interval training though, not something thats typical in a triathlon training program, when training for triathlons Im always trying to stay in my upper heart rate range for the requested heart rate zone.
2010-03-02 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2703673

User image

Master
St. Louis
So do you pick days to run/bike in a low zone (for volume) and others to run in a medium zone and others in higher zones for intervals?  Right now I'm mostly going by perceived exertion but I did slow down a couple times on my long run Saturday trying to keep the heart rate down.
2010-03-03 12:28 AM
in reply to: #2703068

User image

kelowna
metiii - 2010-03-02 1:37 PM Got my new bike yesterday, a Trek Hybrid 7200 http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/bike_path/hybrid/7200/.Its last years model so I got a nice discount on it from LBS. And of course, its snowing today, so no riding. Hopefully this weekend, I can get some riding in.

oohh Awesome!
2010-03-03 12:32 AM
in reply to: #2702710

User image

kelowna
thanks guys... I think I will try for now until I can get things going!
2010-03-03 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2703717

User image

Modesto, California
ransick - 2010-03-02 7:40 PM So do you pick days to run/bike in a low zone (for volume) and others to run in a medium zone and others in higher zones for intervals?  Right now I'm mostly going by perceived exertion but I did slow down a couple times on my long run Saturday trying to keep the heart rate down.

Most training plans lay all of that out for you, heart rate plans, RPE plans whichever plan you are doing will include effort required or heart rate ranges for that workout. Training plans are broken down into phases where they generaly start out in lower zones and add more tempo and harder efforts as you get closer to your target race date/end of program. Most people will do thier longer bike and run workouts on weekends which call for lower perceived efforts, all workouts during the week will vary depending on where you are in your program.

2010-03-03 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2556071

User image

Master
St. Louis
Thanks.  I also went back and read your post a while back about HRM training, determining LT, etc.  Very helpful (as usual).  For now I think I'll worry about building fitness and having fun at my first two tris in May. 
2010-03-03 9:02 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Race Strategy

My first year doing triathlons I payed little attention to what I am about to discuss, not because I did not care, but because I did not know. Race strategy comes down to four C's(course,competition,conditions,confidence).

Course, all races I enter I pick because the suit my strengths, not too dificult for my abilities, and are a ton of fun. I consider the course one of the most important decisions you should make regarding a race. Most races you can view a course before registering, or in the case of BT just ask away. Know if its hilly, cold water, flat, trail run etc. After becoming familiar with a course then study it, this is how you will develop a race strategy as well as enhance your training.

Competition, I pick certain races also because of the small crowd, it makes my chances of getting a podium spot that much better. I also like certain races just because of the fun factor and the lack of competition, some races are fun due to all of the teams competing. My old Triathlon team was one of the top teams in the nation.

Conditions,some races are known for extremely hot conditions, some are very windy, as triathletes we have to adapt to course conditions. I will bring wet gear, cold gear, mirrored goggles, tinted goggles, clear goggles, sunglasses with multi lenses,etc. to all races so that I have all conditions covered, windy,cloudy sunny,hot,cold,wet. I always try to prepare for the worst conditions.

Confidence, comes into play when you have a great understanding of all of these things before you go into a race, believe it or not , most of the general discussion on BT is about getting specific information about races and formulating strategies, whether your looking to have fun or set records.
2010-03-04 7:23 AM

Veteran
So I guess being able to do the run & bike coarse before the actually tri would be a good Race Strategy.  I have been planning to do both when the weather breaks, for my first tri.

Also, is there a good rule of thumb on cleat placement?

I started in the most central location, then moved my rt foot over some, since I was rubbing the crank arm.  I'm wondering if my cleats are to far back on my foot, most pressure on the middle of the ball of my foot.
2010-03-04 9:53 AM
in reply to: #2706605

User image

Modesto, California
bigr82 - 2010-03-04 5:23 AM So I guess being able to do the run & bike coarse before the actually tri would be a good Race Strategy.  I have been planning to do both when the weather breaks, for my first tri.

Also, is there a good rule of thumb on cleat placement?

I started in the most central location, then moved my rt foot over some, since I was rubbing the crank arm.  I'm wondering if my cleats are to far back on my foot, most pressure on the middle of the ball of my foot.

Scouting a course is great strategy & great for confidence, the knowledge you gain can also be put into a race strategy. Cleat placement is something that is complicated, further back is better for endurance, further up twards the toes is better for faster shorter races. This is an article on BT.
2010-03-04 10:19 PM
in reply to: #2706274

User image

kelowna
I can totally see that carefully picking your races, will give you a huge boost in being successful!

and gear.... lots of gear

2010-03-05 7:33 AM

Veteran
Great info(like usual) on the cleat placement. Moved them up just a few mm, and felt alot better.  My two toes did start to go a little numb, have to check whats putting the pressure on them.
2010-03-08 9:05 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
2010-03-09 11:11 PM
in reply to: #2715455

User image

kelowna
ransick - 2010-03-08 7:05 PM 20% off road id.  http://www.roadid.com/Common/default.aspx

Go here for the code  http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=330102325167&topic=14253 

Awesome!  thanks for sharing!
2010-03-11 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Hey Guys,

Really need your input here.  My bike and run training are going pretty well, but the swim is just not progressing at all.  Even after four lessons I'm still swimming at a 2:55 pace, 2:40 if I really push myself and stop after 50 yds.

First of all, is it normal to go through months of no improvement, even after lessons?  If anything, I'm getting slower and have less endurance than I did.  Secondly, do I still have time to improve for Tinman?  I'm seriously considering dropping out if I don't have a breakthrough in the next month or so.  I feel like I'm running out of time.

And for the record, it isn't the fault of my wonderfully patient instructor.  My boyfriend uses her as well and is swimming at a 2:10 pace with no problem.

I'm going on a vacation tonight until next Monday, and maybe a week and half off is what I need.  In the meantime, I thank you in advance for your opinions.
2010-03-11 5:25 PM

User image

kelowna
How much are you paying for your triathlon club fees?

looking at the clubs around here... but they seem pricey..

2010-03-11 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2720384

User image

Master
St. Louis
PinkPrincess - 2010-03-11 9:07 AM Hey Guys,

First of all, is it normal to go through months of no improvement, even after lessons? 

Yes it is normal.  A lot of people get slower when they focus on technique and get tired when focusing too hard on technique and not relaxing.  If you try to focus too hard on all the aspects of good form, you end up being stiff in the water with tense muscles.  My coach had me do some laps with relaxed arms that splashed into the water to force being relaxed.  Similarly, she told me my legs were to stiff which I was doing to try to swim level.  Once I relaxed, I actually swam more level.

If you keep going to the pool 3-4x a week, you will have a break through.  I can't promise it will come before your tri, but I think it will.

Edited by ransick 2010-03-11 8:13 PM
2010-03-11 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2721717

User image

Master
St. Louis
Mine was $30.
2010-03-12 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2721717

User image

Modesto, California
ThePassionDiva - 2010-03-11 3:25 PM How much are you paying for your triathlon club fees?

looking at the clubs around here... but they seem pricey..

The two clubs I have been in were $55,$65, for me I got my moneys worth and then some from group trainings,group coaching,team support.
2010-03-13 9:21 AM
in reply to: #2722649

User image

kelowna
yeah.... 300 seems a bit high even for canada
2010-03-13 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Alright, I'm back from Disneyland (5 days in the park with a 8 and 6 year old) and ready to get back at it!!  Aside from walking morning till night for the last week, I'm done no training lately.  2 weeks till my Triathlon, I'm not sure how hard to push this week.  I'm thinking just medium length, low intensity training for the next two weeks (like 1/2 - 1hr/day aerobic only training), right up to race day.  I'm not looking to be competitive, but don't want to suffer the whole way either.  any thoughts?

2010-03-13 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2720384

User image

Expert
PinkPrincess - 2010-03-11 7:07 AM

First of all, is it normal to go through months of no improvement, even after lessons?  If anything, I'm getting slower and have less endurance than I did.  Secondly, do I still have time to improve for Tinman?  I'm seriously considering dropping out if I don't have a breakthrough in the next month or so.  I feel like I'm running out of time.

And for the record, it isn't the fault of my wonderfully patient instructor.  My boyfriend uses her as well and is swimming at a 2:10 pace with no problem.

I'm going on a vacation tonight until next Monday, and maybe a week and half off is what I need.  In the meantime, I thank you in advance for your opinions.

I can't speak to what 'normal' may be, but for me I definatly slow down after getting some coaching.  My coach will give me some tips, have me work on some drills, and I feel all messed up.  He then says to swim a few laps without thinking about anything, just swim.  It usually feels better.  On the whole, he tells me to do about 1/3 straight drills, 1/3 laps focussing on one single thing (any thing), and 1/3 just swimming with no focus.

I still go through periods of slowness, particuarly right after a round of new things to work on (I still have a lot of room for improvement in my swimming form), but generally am improving on a week to week basis.  Going several months with coaching, and no improvement, does not sound good.  I know personally that would be very frustrating for me!
2010-03-13 6:47 PM
in reply to: #2724715

User image

Modesto, California
norcal_SAHD - 2010-03-13 12:51 PM Alright, I'm back from Disneyland (5 days in the park with a 8 and 6 year old) and ready to get back at it!!  Aside from walking morning till night for the last week, I'm done no training lately.  2 weeks till my Triathlon, I'm not sure how hard to push this week.  I'm thinking just medium length, low intensity training for the next two weeks (like 1/2 - 1hr/day aerobic only training), right up to race day.  I'm not looking to be competitive, but don't want to suffer the whole way either.  any thoughts?

Just let your level of fitness dictate your pace. Train with a focus on bricks,swim to bike,bike to run.
2010-03-15 10:58 AM

User image

Modesto, California
I will be covering the last two topics for discussion tonight, keep adding questions when they come up!

2010-03-15 9:37 PM

User image

Modesto, California

Race preperation/Performance

The best tip I can pass on to everyone is something I learned after my first year of racing, the more prepared I was at the start of the race the better I performed, it took me almost a year to figure that out! Nothing worse than getting out of the swim and trying to find your bike among 2000 other bikes, it happened to me. I will cover transitions later, my point is that you can do allot of preperation before the race even begins that will have a huge impact on how you race, regardless if you planning to place or just want to make it to the finish.

I will shut down all my training two days before any race, I call the prep days. Anyone will tell you that its better to go into a race well rested as opposed to training up until the last second, I fully take advantage of this by checking out the course if I can, I will also have a good idea where on the course exactly I will be getting food and drink, so I can plan accordingly. I will typically become somewhat familiar with how the swim is  set up so that I can plan on how to sight the bouys. The bike portion I will be paying attention to road conditions were I may need to exercise caution. The run part Im just looking at the difference in surfaces and elevation changes. I will put all of my mental notes together to form some sort of strategy or  goals based on this info. 

My second priority is to get my stuff together early so that I can have time to double check what I will be bringing, and how I will pack it in to my vehicle. One thing to always pack is a flashlight flashlight, if you are like me and like to get a good spot then sometimes you have to get there early when its very dark. And while on that subject, a good spot can save time, if you are a weaker cyclist try to get closer to the bike exit, as a weak runner try to get closer to the run exit. Once you get your spot setup go through a few trial run transitions, go through the motions for each transition, this does two things that are extremely important, it will get you very familiar with where your spot is in proximity to all entrances and exits, you will know the proper exits and entrances to use! I promise you will see people lost, getting lost on the course,loosing thier spot, not knowing the correct exit to use! Practicing and using these tips will not only give you confidence on race day but will make your race go that much smoother.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » nevergivin's group (Closed) Rss Feed  

of 21