2009-01-29 9:15 AM
in reply to: #1935232

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Sesh's Group - FULL!
serendipity - 2009-01-29 8:29 AM

Good morning everyone! 

I went out for my run last night and ended up running in the rain.  I definitely prefer snow.  I got it done, though.  I've been sticking with my training plan the past few weeks. 

My 15 year old daughter decided she wants to do the tri with me in June.  They have a 15-17 AG, so I said sure.  She's on the high school swim team and plays lacrosse in the spring, so she's got a good base for the swim and the run.  My only chance of keeping up with her will be on the bike, maybe, if she doesn't train much.  She's on BT to log her training, so if you see Melonhead180 around, say hi.

You're brave.  I like running in the rain, but not the cold rain.   I ran in the remnats of Hurricanes Ike and Gustav last year, and it was surprisingly nice.

That is fantastic that it's becoming a family affair!  That's going to one really fun day for y'all.

2009-01-29 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1856289

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Time to reflect on January?

How'd you start the year?  Is the motivation still there?  Were you able to work around or replan becasue of sickness or injuries?  Anybody surprise themselves or are you looking at February for revenge?

2009-01-29 11:29 AM
in reply to: #1935321

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Great timing - I was just thinking about some of these things.  I started the year by making goals, signing up for events and doing some maintenance workouts.  I had a HIM picked out and it started Jan. 19.  However, as the date got closer I was worried that I had bitten off more than I could chew.

I wasn't overly motivated through the holidays and eary Jan.  Getting up early to run was painful or I simply rolled over and hit snooze.  However, that Monday arrived and I jumped into my plan head first.  I've done my workouts and found my motivation and excitement for the upcoming season.  I even got up at 5:15am this morning to run for an hour before heading into work.  And I love my warm bed.

I also noticed for the first time during the bleak winter days that the sun cracking through the clouds before 7am.  And I've noticed birds chirping in the bushes.  The days are getting longer.   All signs Spring is on her way.

So I'll keep chugging away and trying to stay healthy.  I hope everyone else is on the mend.  My friend that I wrote about earlier just strained the cartilage b/t her breast bone and rib.  Although not pleasant, she is only restricted by what doesn't feel good.  So she was pleased that it was nothing more.

2009-01-29 11:31 AM

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY

I agree running in the cold rain is terrible, especially when it's dark and the puddles turn out to be much deeper than they look.  Wet toes get cold really fast.

Right now I am going on the premise that the family that trains together will be too tired to fight with each other.  We'll see how that pans out!

I am pretty happy with January.  It got off to a rough start, between having a cold and getting over the running hurdle, but it finished up well.  I've found that the BT challenges really help keep me motivated.  They give me that little extra incentive to get that workout in when I would otherwise talk myself out of it, because they make me feel like I am accountable to someone else for what I am doing.  It's a mind game, I know, but it's working for me.  I already signed on for a couple in February.

With everything else going on in my life in January, I'm glad I stayed on track with the training.  I also didn't gain 15 pounds like I usually do in January from eating take-out dinners 5 nights a week.  (I ate the take-out, so the training must have offset it.)

2009-01-29 12:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle

January -

Thanks to injuries and the excitement of having a new trainer, I've already logged 2/3 as many miles on my bike this year as I did in 2008 (since I started logging in August).

That doesn't mean I'm doing well this year - it just shows I did a crappy amount last year Laughing.

Motivation - I'm still feeling motivated about training and I've been enjoying it a lot.  I want to try to increase the amount I'm doing and make sure I don't hit a plateau of the same amount per week every week.  I might have to start doing 2 workouts per day some days like a lot of you are already doing.

Nutrition has been the big thing for me so far in 2009.  I learned a ton and I've definitely been better about my eating.  The main thing I learned is that I really need to have a combination of good eating AND training to have results - I can't just work out and eat whatever I want.  I've lost 5 lbs this month so I'm on track for my pound a week goal.  I need to make sure I keep up with logging my food so I don't fall off.

I took December/Jan off from swimming for a few reasons - mostly I wanted to concentrate on my weaknesses.  I don't know that this was such a great idea - I kind of missed it and swimming is good to break up the leg-pounding work of cycling and running.  Looking forward to hitting the pool again.

The ribs are feeling better - still a little uncomfortable to sleep but getting there slowly.

This group has been great - hope everyone has a good Feb.

2009-01-29 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1935674

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia

Awesome job on sticking to the plan and surviving the winter weight gain.

I hope when my kids are a little older they will enjoy doing some of the tris or races with us.  I don't want to push them but try and lead by example.  Plus I don't want to put any ideas in my daughter's head but she inherited mommy's thighs and butt so she better find some activity to keep her happy when the body stops growing up.  :-

2009-01-29 12:24 PM
in reply to: #1935674

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
serendipity - 2009-01-29 9:31 AM

I agree running in the cold rain is terrible, especially when it's dark and the puddles turn out to be much deeper than they look.  Wet toes get cold really fast.

I love when you start a run and the first thing you do is soak your foot in a big puddle.  Fun.

2009-01-29 12:39 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
Sesh- glad your feeling better, and to everyone else who has been sick. looks like their has bene more than a few. I keep forgetting that the majoirty of the country is getting pounded by snow or ice or cold right now. I guess i need to remember how lucky i am!
we had a cold front the past two weeks and it was 40 degrees, it brought back all the reasons i moved to FL from MA in the first place!!

thats awesome your daughters going to do tri's with you S, i hope my kids(when i have em) want to be healthy and involved in sports-whatever the sport may be.

I didn't even know they had distance swimming events!!?!?! thats something i would definately be down to do. sesh-do you have a website that lists those types of events down here???
it would also be extremely helpful to get nmore OWS in, as right now there are 10K spinner sharks migrating through our county-needless to say the beaches are closed.

Let's see what else...oh yea, thanks for the background on my HIM sesh. I have heard of QUADZILLA, and the kind folks in the TX forum have been giving me pointers ot get ready.

But ive decided to hire a coach for my HIM 5 months out which will be June. He is ridiculously qualified, level 2 tri coach, certified run and cycle coach as well. fully customized plan sent to me every week, unlimited contact etc.... for less than 100/month. ridiculous. he is the coach who helped that marine for kona this past year-the one who did the whole thing in his boots and helmet to support everyone overseas. im pumped. super nice guy and im really looking forward to killing this HIM come october.
wife and i are making a vaca out of it( i think thats how i got her onboard for suich a long drive) so ill race, eat some good texas BBQ, and chill.
lots of hill training im sure he's got planned.

anywhooooooooo- gonna try for 4Kmeters tomorrow morning on my 1:15 swim. we shall see....

keep training in that cold everyone! ill try and send some HEAT!
2009-01-30 10:54 AM

User image

Master

Happy Friday!

Anyone have any big training plans this weekend?  (I know Samantha has a race.)  I have a 30 minute run scheduled.  That's the longest time so far, and I'm hoping to break 2.5 miles again.  Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will be puddle-less.

Monday is the first swim workout of my plan.  My daughter logged her swim practices for this week and in a week had more time in the pool than I had in the 3 months I logged in 2008.   Having her point that out was very motivating.  I've got to start swimming or she's going to make me look bad. Embarassed

I hope everyone has a great Superbowl weekend.  (I won't be watching the game, but I'm going to a party for the food.

2009-01-30 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1935321

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon

I think despite a lot of rearranging of workouts, and some skipped swims and runs, I'm pretty happy with the volume I've put in for the month. Swim is usually the first to be dropped, as that's definitely where I feel strongest. Dropped a couple runs because of a previously not experienced hip pain - that has since gone away. I am hoping for improved weather on Saturdays so I can get outside for the long rides, the trainer is getting old despite getting in a lot of new movie watching. Weight loss is continuing, that's good too.

Feb - hit all the workouts, lose more weight, determine when end of season olympic is going to happen and then finalize training plan for that and put into calendar, and buy/build bike...

sesh - 2009-01-29 7:17 AM

How'd you start the year?  Is the motivation still there?  Were you able to work around or replan becasue of sickness or injuries?  Anybody surprise themselves or are you looking at February for revenge?

2009-01-30 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
happy friday as well!!!

no big plans this weekend, my off day(tomorro) is not an off day... i am running with a buddy i the susan G.komen race for the cure in West Palm Beach,FL in honor of my aunt who is currently battling breast cancer.
then i have my long run on sunday for 1:20, but im questioning wqith the 30 minutes im gonna do tomorrorw, if i should really do the full 1:20, or just do 50 which is 1:20-30:00
(im jogging to help a friend who is doing it with me)

sunday-gonna eat like a pig and not tink twice. other than that just killin my trainin!

2009-01-30 1:40 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

I just realized that I haven't been around for a few days.  I must be busier than I realized...

I have been shifting my schedule to something that is more condusive for workouts.  I now get up by 4:30 am weekday mornings...that means that I need to get to bed by 8pm-ish.    It is taking some work to make that happen.  8 o'clock rolls sooner than I expect each night.

2009-01-30 2:52 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Well, it sounds like we've all made it through the first month.  There were some hiccups (and sneezes and coughs) here and there, but it looks like we're all focusing on the positive and still have a plan.  It's still that time of year when the tris seem so far away, and that makes it easy to slack, so congrats to everyone for really sticking to it!  It's going to pay off!

I'm about to head up to Memphis for the weekend.  We've got the niece's 5th birthday party this Saturday.  Probably gonna get to go to the Memphis game, too (college, not NBA... nobody goes to Grizzlies games, though they are playing the Lakers Saturday night..hmmm).  Then it's back home for the Superbowl.  Just a few friends coming by and I'll be doing burgers and my wife has gone mildly overboard with dips and other tasty treats.  Not that I'm really complaining about that, though.

Have a great weekend, everyone and see you in February!

2009-01-30 4:24 PM

User image

Regular

Hey all,

It has been a while since I have logged anything, but I am getting back into it.  My trip to Dubai was less than sucessfull on the workour front.  I was jet lagged and sick the whole time there and I have been sick with some sort of virus for the past two weeks.  Hopefully I can start back at it on Monday and that will put me a whole month behind my training plan.  Good thing that it is still early in the season.

On the work front, since I work for Caterpillar, everyone is a little on edge.  CAT announced today an increase in layoff (up to 22,000 now or 22% of the workforce) and that is a little concerning.  I really need to workout to keep the stress level down. 

I hope that everyone has a great weekend and has had a great month of training.

Eric

2009-01-30 5:28 PM

User image

Master
Eric, we'll keep our fingers crossed that everything works out okay for you.  Sorry to hear you were sick.  Welcome back!
2009-01-30 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington

I don't know if any of you have chatted with Cami bee in the past, but just in case I am putting up a copy of a post I made in Nibbs...

I haven't been in TAN much over the last few months so I didn't think much of not running into Cami Bee...It turns out that she died in a car accident over thanksgiving break.  It makes me realize how fleeting life is and that I can't take it for granted. 

If anyone is interested, there will be a card for her family traveling from BTer to BTer. You can sign up here.

2009-02-01 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
I am showing signs of a head cold...lots of pressure, congestion and ear pain.  I don't think that I will be swimming for a while. 
2009-02-02 10:29 AM

User image

Master

Feel better Melissa!

I hit the pool at 6 am this morning for that first swim workout.  The plan called for 12 minutes, so I'm thinking it was going to be really easy.  20 minutes later I was back in the locker room trying to lift my arms enough to put my shirt on.  I'm glad I didn't talk myself into waiting to start the swim workouts.  I'm going to need all the time I can get.  I'm regretting not swimming at all in December and January. 

I am really, really looking forward to my trainer ride tonight!

Did everyone have a good weekend?  How was your race, Samantha?

2009-02-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #1941134

User image

Champion
Sequim, Washington
serendipity - 2009-02-02 8:29 AM

Feel better Melissa!

I took a medium run this morning: 2.5 miles, didn't push very much. 

I am starting to feel some discomfort in my calves-tendon bone type stuff.  I am going to need to invest in a more specialized pair of shoes.

I developed stress factors in both shins back in HS.  It is why I have hesitated to run for more than 10 years. 

I am going to go to Road Runner Sports and get some shoe advice.  I am also going look into sports therapy.  I have several people that have been recommended to me.  My feet are really messed up...which messes up my stride.

2009-02-02 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
Florida
yuck!
After hearing everyone say they are sick, i thought-well i live in FL and its been 3 years im fine.
Um--apparently not. started with a sore throat on saturday morning before my 5K, it happened to also be 40 degrees that one mornign, so i ran in a shirt and shorts in the 40 degree cold with wind. since then felt like crap.
what i DID do though, was not only PR my distance (10K), i PR'ed my minute mile, all while spitting out phlegm every 100 yards(not kidding). I ran 6.2 miles with an 8.17/mile yesterday. I killed it, and it was supposed to take it easy cause i had no rest day this week witht he charity 5k on saturday. really happy with myself. the ice bath was hella nice too.
this week is active recovery (4th week of month) so thank goodness!!
25 minute swim this morning, while trying to breath even tho i cant. 51 minutes on trainer tonight, ill just set the tension low and just spin basically.
Signed up for the Miami International Triathlon down here near south beach on March 15th, so im really focusing in on that, and after this week i have one more month of my 16 week oly plan, and then its on to personalized coaching for the 32 weeks before my HIM.

everyone get healthy!!!! STAT!
2009-02-02 1:44 PM
in reply to: #1941371

User image

Extreme Veteran
Seattle
mchally - 2009-02-02 10:08 AM

I am going to go to Road Runner Sports and get some shoe advice. 

I got some great help at Super Jock n Jill down by Green Lake.  Just another option to consider.

Feel better Melissa and everyone else.

2009-02-02 1:49 PM

User image

Master

It's been a tough season.  People I know who never get sick are going to the doctors because they've got colds they can't get rid of.  I have been feeling pretty good for the past few weeks, so I'd appreciate it if nobody breathes in my direction.

Over the weekend I officially signed up for my first tri.  It will be June 27th.  Then Saturday night I had a dream about missing the start of the race, woke up at 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep.  (Not the way I wanted to start my Sunday.)  My husband thought it was hysterical that I was already stressing about a race that's 5 months away.  Then last night I was up at 2 am because I was worried about oversleeping and not getting to the pool ontime to swim before work, not finding the locker room, etc.  (first time at this pool).  If I'm exhausted in a few weeks, it won't be from training.

2009-02-02 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1941604

User image

Expert
Florida
serendipity - 2009-02-02 2:49 PM

It's been a tough season.  People I know who never get sick are going to the doctors because they've got colds they can't get rid of.  I have been feeling pretty good for the past few weeks, so I'd appreciate it if nobody breathes in my direction.

Over the weekend I officially signed up for my first tri.  It will be June 27th.  Then Saturday night I had a dream about missing the start of the race, woke up at 4 am and couldn't go back to sleep.  (Not the way I wanted to start my Sunday.)  My husband thought it was hysterical that I was already stressing about a race that's 5 months away.  Then last night I was up at 2 am because I was worried about oversleeping and not getting to the pool ontime to swim before work, not finding the locker room, etc.  (first time at this pool).  If I'm exhausted in a few weeks, it won't be from training.

That's awesome!!! (not the not sleeping part,the registration!), you are DEFINATELY gonna have to keep us in the loop. im pumped for you! dont worry bout that not sleeping, im sure when i pull the trigger on registration for the Austin 70.3 in a few weeks ill do the same thing that night-that and going into a panic

work hard-focus and push-and youll do great!!
2009-02-02 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon

For those of you who are ill:

I can't recommend investing in a neti pot highly enough... Especially if you have congestion, sinus crud going on. Yes they look and sound woo-woo, but they work.
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots

For those who need some swim motivation:

http://www.examiner.com/x-2490-Denver-Endurance-Sports-Examiner~y2009m2d2-Colorado-resident-trying-to-be-first-women-to-swim-across-Atlantic

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jennifer-Figge/31076423324

She's currently near Trinidad. 

2009-02-02 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1941871

User image

Master
kirih - 2009-02-02 4:35 PM

For those of you who are ill:

I can't recommend investing in a neti pot highly enough... Especially if you have congestion, sinus crud going on. Yes they look and sound woo-woo, but they work.
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/sinus-pain-pressure-9/neti-pots

X2 on the neti pot. 

I can't imagine swimming across the ocean.  Maybe across a very narrow lake.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sesh's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 47