Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2009-04-12 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2078314

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Subject: RE: PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL
Congrats! That's a pretty big improvement. If freezing water is what it takes...

2009-04-13 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1857266

Veteran
Well, I survived and am officially a triathlete.  The result was not what I had hoped for but I know I gave it everything I had.  I finished in 1:47 something that breaks down as follows:

The weather was atrocious!  It was lower 40's and rainy.  The run went pretty much as planned.  Since this was a 'C' race I didn't want to go out too hard knowing the bike was going to be my biggest challenge.  My prerace strategy was to shoot for around 27 minutes and I finished in 27 and change.  The course is described as moderately hilly and I think that was an understatement.  The first half of the course was all climb culminating in a steep trail climb.  The next mile or so was mostly down hill trail and the finish was about a .5 mile climb to transition.  T1 was easy, just switch shoes and put on helmet, of course because of the cold weather I did put on an extra pair of socks but was out of there in close to a minute.

The bike was every bit as hard as I imagined it would be.  I drove the course the day before and knew it was going to be a challenge.  I started off strong and was feeling good for the first few miles but then I hit a very rainy stretch.  By the time I hit the halfway point of the course I was soaking wet.  My calves and feet were very cold but the rest of me was ok aside from being wet.  Lots and lots of climbing, again not what I would call moderately hilly.  Unfortunately my Garmin froze on me just before T1, I'm guessing because of the rain, so I had no feedback as to how I was doing.  I just continued to push and was riding right on the ragged edge.  My left calf was on the verge of cramping and my right hammy was in the same shape.  I spent most of the climbs in my lowest gear, spinning my way up all the hills.  I'm guessing I got passed by about 15 folks and passed only 3-5 myself.  I finished the 16.5 mile course in 1:07 something which is about 15 miles per hour.  I'm not happy with the time but considering all the climbing I think I did the best I could.  It was a loop course and I'm guessing there was way more climbing than descent but don't have my Garmin to verify.  T2 was pretty tough, fingers and feet were numb making it tough to move and remove clothing.  Due to the weather I had 3 layers on top to remove and I wore my running tights which were a bit difficult to take off but was out of there in about 2 minutes.

I was so looking forward to the swim because I knew it was going to help warm me up.  I jumped into the pool and sure enough it felt very warm but was a little painful on the frozen/numb extremities.  Within the first 2 strokes my left calf went into full cramp mode as I expected.  Thank goodness I have cramped plenty of times in training so was able to cope and just kept going and before the first lap was over the cramp had subsided.  I remember being told that my arms would feel like lead and not believing it because I would only be using my legs in the first part of the race.  However, not only did my arms feel like lead, my whole body felt like lead.  My form felt atrocious as I could feel my legs dragging and felt as though I had no pull strength.  I muddled through, passing 4-5 folks and finished in 8:20.  That is a little slow for me but considering the circumstances not too shabby.

Despite the weather and the tough course I LOVED every minute of it!  I think I'll enjoy having the swim first next time and the run last because I think running is my strongest leg and would rather finish with that.  Thanks for all the support and I'll post a race report as soon as results are available.  If I remember right I think I finished 10/13 in my AG and around 74/? overall.

ETA: the swim was 400 yds.

ETA: race report link http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=100886

Edited by trinity 2009-04-13 11:14 AM
2009-04-13 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2080583

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Congratulations Tim - you are now officially a triathlete! Laughing

I'm pretty impressed given that it was your very first triathlon, a C race, hilly course, a *reverse* tri; and some really awful conditions for a triathlon. I'm just not so sure I could bring myself to do one with low 40's and rain... I'd be a popsicle. To me it sounds like you handled some very adverse conditions and did a great job! Way to tough it out.

And now you are hopelessly hooked... it's going to be quite a fun and entertaining number of years ahead of you
2009-04-13 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2081787

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
Good Job Tim!  A reverse sounds tough, I would not want to jump into the water after running and biking, I would almost certainly cramp hard.  I cramp up swimming sometimes during training sesssions without doing anything prior, so I can't imagine swimming after all that.  Add the rain and the hills, and it sounds tough.  Bottom line, good job doing it.
2009-04-13 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2078314

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
triscruggs - 2009-04-11 2:27 PM Aloha all,

I reached a small milestone today.  I finally cracked 40 minutes for 1.2 miles.  Hooray!!  I'm still well behind JD and Pac10er, but the last time I did this swim I was around 45 minutes.  It probably had as much to do with wanting to get out of the 73 degree water quickly as with fitness and form gains, but whatever speeds me up!  Imagine what I'll do in Boise with a water temp around 60 degrees...

Will

73 - for most of us that is warm!  I hope you have a wetsuit for Boise though.  If you do, you will go a lot faster than if you don't.  I don't know if you have felt the difference before, but it is huge.  I used mine at the pool a couple of times prior to my race just to get the feel of it, and my 100's went from around 1:30 on a moderate pace to 1:15 or 1:20 at the same effort level.

I can't feel too sorry for you with the water temp in Hawaii, as So. Cal rarely ever sees 73, even in the summer!  My race was 58 but with a wetsuit you probably won't notice the cold too much except right as you are plunging in.  The adrenaline is sky high though at that point, so doubtful that it will be much of an issue.  Just cruise in the swim part so you have all your energy left for the rest.

My company will have a booth there, and you will probably see the name plastered all over the place.  Philadelphia Insurance Companies.  Have fun, and stop by the booth and say hi.  I won't be there, but the ones there probably will know me, and they'll give you a free race belt for your trouble and enter you to win free entry into some upcoming races.

Mike Freeman is my full name.  It's coming up soon I think, mid June?
2009-04-13 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2082100

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
Sorry, last post for the day. 

I got my race pictures back, and as I have not been able to figure out how to get a picture to load - I know how to do it, just can't a picture under the size limit for some reason - I figured I would provide the link.

http://www.asiorders.com/go.asp?51861709

2009-04-15 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2082113

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Thanks for the pics; always good to have some good pics to go with the name.

So, who's the next one up with a race?
2009-04-15 10:41 AM

Veteran

My next race is the first of 3 'A' races this year.  May 17 Dog House Sprint in Lubbock, TX.  It'll be my first OWS which I'm excited about and my first regular 'forward' tri.  I can hardly wait but I'm glad I have a month to try and make some gains.

Any tips for wetsuit removal?

2009-04-15 6:29 PM
in reply to: #2085967

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Do they have wetsuit strippers or is it "do it yourself"?
2009-04-15 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
My next race is a HM on May 16 "The Great Potato". I'll be riding the Boise HIM bike course the day before for the training.....Tom
2009-04-15 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2087613

User image

Regular
Kailua, HI
Oooh.  Let us know about that course, Tom.  I've got a little sprint tri right here in Kailua on Sunday. 

2009-04-16 9:32 AM
in reply to: #2087392

Veteran
PLMsbr - 2009-04-15 5:29 PM Do they have wetsuit strippers or is it "do it yourself"?

I don't see this mentioned anywhere in the race info but in a couple of the pictures it does look like there might be strippers.
2009-04-16 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2088532

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
OK, make sure you know going in. If they're there, you want to use them. First thing you want to do is use some body glide. A bunch on the back of your neck to prevent wetsuit burn, and then you can put some around your ankles and lower calf to help that part of the wetsuit slide off easier. First thing you do once you get out of the water is unzip the wetsuit and pull it down to your waist (while it's still good and wet). Practice that a few times and that part will be relatively easy.

If there are wetsuit strippers, you just run up to them and flop down on your back with both feet up in the air. They will grab a hold of the upper half of the wetsuit and literally yank the rest of it right off your body (be prepared for a decent tug). You jump up, they toss you the wetsuit, and you are off and running.

If you have to do it yourself, run to transition with the wetsuit top off and hanging. Once there, you'll need to peel it off your legs yourself. I'm no expert on doing that fast, but I do find it easier to sit down and pull it off. Biggest thing is to not get panicky and frustrated, just calmly and methodically pull it off. Definitely something you want to practice a few times before race day.
2009-04-16 3:38 PM
in reply to: #2088532

User image

Regular
Kailua, HI
trinity - 2009-04-16 5:32 AM
PLMsbr - 2009-04-15 5:29 PM Do they have wetsuit strippers or is it "do it yourself"?

I don't see this mentioned anywhere in the race info but in a couple of the pictures it does look like there might be strippers.

It's always better when strippers are involved.
2009-04-17 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2089002

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Hey folks - heading out for Boston... hope everyone has a great weekend!
2009-04-17 10:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
FYI---the Boise70.3 does have strippers.
I did a 14mi run yesterday...moderate pace...my longest run ever...just wanted to make sure those legs knew they could go beyond 13.1...heading out in the a.m. to do most of the HIM bike course...have a great weekend.............Tom

JD...good luck Sunday

2009-04-18 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2087745

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
triscruggs - 2009-04-15 8:10 PM Oooh.  Let us know about that course, Tom.  I've got a little sprint tri right here in Kailua on Sunday. 

Did a good portion of the Boise 70.3 this a.m. The wind was brutal. I rode in all 4 directions and had head wind X3 of them!! That's Idaho winds for ya...
Within the next week or 2 I'll do the exact course and give you some elevation gains and such. There are a few climbs but nothing too gruesome.
2009-04-20 9:47 AM
in reply to: #2092687

Regular
Lake Forest, CA

Good Luck with Boston, you are probably fniishing close to now.  Let us know how it went for you.  Congratuations on being there, that is an accomplishment.

2009-04-20 10:02 PM
in reply to: #2096866

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Hey guys, thanks for all the well wishes. Had a really nice race today... Boston is pretty amazing! Tons of support all the way through the race, really helps keep you pumped up. Ended up with a 3:28, which is actually my best marathon... by 45 seconds   Gotta get some rest for now, be back soon.
2009-04-20 11:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
JD...you are awsome!!! Way to go...HUGE congrats.....Tom
2009-04-21 9:19 AM

Veteran
Way to go JD!  Great time and sounds like you really enjoyed the race.  Enjoy your accomplishment and recover quickly.

2009-04-22 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2099517

User image

Extreme Veteran
TX
Thanks Tim/Tom... back home now and the quads are starting to return to normal   It really was a great event, and my wife and I enjoyed the time in Boston as well. Definitely taking it easy the rest of the week.

How's everyone doing?
2009-04-22 11:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Boise, ID
JD...well, I'm feeling pretty good about my running...feeling stronger and getting a bit faster...tweaked my knee doing sprints this morning...felt fine swimming...will have to take it easy for a few days...I feel like I'm getting stronger in the pool too...I'm not gaining any speed but my 1mi and 1.2mi times are satisfactory...been getting some good bike rides in lately...our weather has been summer like but goes back to wintery tomorrow!
Thanks for asking...Tom
2009-04-23 9:44 AM

Veteran
I seem to be progressing slowly but surely.  After my humbling cycling experience in the last race I am EXTREMELY motivated to improve my pace.  So, I am looking to at least double my volume on the bike (it was way too low to begin with).  I have already ridden  3 times this week and hope to get in 2 more.  I also had my longest ride to date on Sunday, 35 miles.  Legs and body seem to be handling the increase well but 2 a days make me ready for bed at 8 pm.

I would love to find a 5k to run in the next week or 2 just to see where I'm at.  The track workouts have me feeling faster and I'd like to see if it translates to racing.  If I can't find a race I may do my own TT.

I'm ok with my swimming for the time being as I focus on biking and running.  I can swim a 500 in about 8:50 and although I'd like to get faster the swim is the shortest part of the race and I need to give the majority of my attention to the longest part, biking.
2009-04-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2103293

Regular
Lake Forest, CA
PLMsbr - 2009-04-22 12:36 PM Thanks Tim/Tom... back home now and the quads are starting to return to normal   It really was a great event, and my wife and I enjoyed the time in Boston as well. Definitely taking it easy the rest of the week.

How's everyone doing?

doing great, great job in Boston.  I signed up for Florida 70.3 which is May 17th.  I booked my flight and hotel yesterday.  I am excited about doing another half, and have started running mid-day to hopefully get used to the heat.  I am not following a formal plan, but am swimming about 3000 yards 3 days, biking 3 times per week, 2 70 minute sessions and one longer one, 3 hours this weekend, and running 3 or 4 days.  I am concnetrating on a transition runs after every bike as that is what I had the most trouble with at my last event.

Aside from that, all is well, and after this event I am going to start gearing up for a November IM.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PLMsbr (JD) Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24