BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-06-10 8:22 PM
in reply to: #2205374

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: grandhavenbill's group - FULL

I'm feeling good about the HIM knowing full well I just might need all 8 hours.  But I'm cool with that.   I'm having too much fun now.  Next season I'll start taking this a bit more seriously and really focus.  Actually it will start w/ my marathon training later this summer that we talked abt earlier.

OK to focus, but just don't take it TOO seriously....remember this is supposed to be fun!!  Keep those priorities straight.      So when does that mary training start in earnest?  I switch from crazy bike mileage to crazy run mileage as soon as the 24 hour challenge is over next weekend.  I'm already behind in my ultra plan, hoping that the bike fitness will translate well.....

2009-06-10 8:51 PM
in reply to: #1864965

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
L for me. Let me know how much.
2009-06-10 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
So I thought I would practice transitions today. Had all these great tricks up my sleeve. You know, rubber bands on the bike shoes so they don't drag on the ground. flying barefoot dismount.
Ok, I think I'm going to stick with the basics. strip wetsuit, jam bare feet into bike shoes, glasses on, hemet on go. Off the bike, clip out of the pedals. shoes off, running shoes on, race belt on, go. Hear people yell that my helmet is still on, run bake to my bike, take off helmet, go again.

If it goes as planned, I'll be happy. I don't think I would save any time trying to put my feet in my shoes as I'm pedaling 7 mph for 5 minutes. Well, if you can't tell, I'm getting a little nervous for my first tri. You veterens have any advice for a first time sprint? Is it possible to swim faster than E-Coli?
2009-06-10 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Its gonna cost you a beer next time I see you!  I'm sent an email to see if we have a L (wtf is that?)  and an XL. Stby for reply.
2009-06-10 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2208998

User image

Champion
marietta
grandhavenbill - 2009-06-10 8:22 PM

I'm feeling good about the HIM knowing full well I just might need all 8 hours.  But I'm cool with that.   I'm having too much fun now.  Next season I'll start taking this a bit more seriously and really focus.  Actually it will start w/ my marathon training later this summer that we talked abt earlier.

OK to focus, but just don't take it TOO seriously....remember this is supposed to be fun!!  Keep those priorities straight.      So when does that mary training start in earnest?  I switch from crazy bike mileage to crazy run mileage as soon as the 24 hour challenge is over next weekend.  I'm already behind in my ultra plan, hoping that the bike fitness will translate well.....

Oh I won't take it seriously... might be my problem!  

One thing I've learned..and I steal this from someones' signature.. "Bike for show, run for dough."  Mary starts the week after the HIM.  I have a sprint and a OLY after but I will concentrate on the running.  Of course #3 arriving in OCT throws a wrench in the plans, kid is starting off on the wrong foot I tell ya, so I don't know if I'm going to follow an online plan, hire a coach (real or online), or what. 

That said...  I found out today that the first 500 people to register for the Mardi Gras Marathon pay 50 beans.  So I signed up.  My 2010 schedule is quickly filling up!
2009-06-10 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2209081

User image

Champion
marietta
sigepbrad - 2009-06-10 8:56 PM So I thought I would practice transitions today. Had all these great tricks up my sleeve. You know, rubber bands on the bike shoes so they don't drag on the ground. flying barefoot dismount.
Ok, I think I'm going to stick with the basics. strip wetsuit, jam bare feet into bike shoes, glasses on, hemet on go. Off the bike, clip out of the pedals. shoes off, running shoes on, race belt on, go. Hear people yell that my helmet is still on, run bake to my bike, take off helmet, go again.

If it goes as planned, I'll be happy. I don't think I would save any time trying to put my feet in my shoes as I'm pedaling 7 mph for 5 minutes. Well, if you can't tell, I'm getting a little nervous for my first tri. You veterens have any advice for a first time sprint? Is it possible to swim faster than E-Coli?

OK this is what you do and it's very easy.  First, forget your entire first paragraph!  Second...REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN.

Get to transition early.  Don't listen to the banter about getting a spot on the end for this race.  You are not trying to do anything but have fun so that is irrelevant to you.  Set up your area with minimal stuff.  Introduce yourself to your neighbors.  If they are a-holes just smile and know we would have our way with his wife/girlfriend. 

Then go swim, bike, run.  Every chance you get, remember to HAVE FUN! 

Swim... Stop if you have too.. its no big deal and you float in your wetsuit.

Bike... don't hammer, your adrenaline is kickin' ! You got a run coming up.  You might get passed a few times.  When someone goes by you tell em' good job!

Run... hit the gas out of T.  Then chill for a bit and get in a good rhythm.  Then hit the gas w/ ~.75 to go

Thank the volunteers every chance you get..

CAUTION... the above advice was given by one who knows nothing!

HAVE FUN!  Take lots of pictures!!

2009-06-11 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Send me the best address to send to you.  Maybe PM me instead actually.
2009-06-11 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2209185

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

First, forget your entire first paragraph! 

Check.

Second...REMEMBER TO HAVE FUN

NO problem here.

Get to transition early.  Don't listen to the banter about getting a spot on the end for this race.  You are not trying to do anything but have fun so that is irrelevant to you.  Set up your area with minimal stuff.  Introduce yourself to your neighbors.  If they are a-holes just smile and know we would have our way with his wife/girlfriend.

Easy.

Then go swim, bike, run.  Every chance you get, remember to HAVE FUN!

Yup.

Swim... Stop if you have too.. its no big deal and you float in your wetsuit.

This will be easy. The swim is probably my strength.

Bike... don't hammer, your adrenaline is kickin' ! You got a run coming up.  You might get passed a few times.  When someone goes by you tell em' good job!

Ok, so this might be the hard one. I have a tendancy to come out a little to hot. Holding back is a little tough for me. All or nothin' has been my mantra, and is taking some getting used to. Hopefully, I can stick to my plan.

Run... hit the gas out of T.  Then chill for a bit and get in a good rhythm.  Then hit the gas w/ ~.75 to g

This should be good as long as I took the advice for the bike.

CAUTION... the above advice was given by one who knows nothing

What do you mean? You've destroyed more triathlon gear than I've even used! I call that an expert!

HAVE FUN!  Take lots of pictures!

Will do. and can't wait to show off the photos.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to do you proud.

-Brad (Starting on Saturday, my name will officially change to triathlete Brad)

Edited by sigepbrad 2009-06-11 6:41 PM
2009-06-11 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2208983

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
grandhavenbill - 2009-06-10 9:17 PM

That said, Bill - is there any reason I have to have water? Why can't I just use sports drink?

All of the "published data" says you should not chase gels with sports drink, too much concentrated sugar that could cause your stomach to shut down.  Personally, I have no problems with this, but I do always carry water as the sports drink just starts to taste BAD after awhile.....If it works for you, go for it.  Again:  NOTHING NEW ON RACE DAY!

Alright, you convinced me. One water and one Gatorade. Another problem would be spraying myself in the face with Gatorade when I get hot. 
2009-06-12 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
"What do you mean? You've destroyed more triathlon gear than I've even used! I call that an expert!"

LOL!!!!
2009-06-12 8:10 AM
in reply to: #2211995

User image

Extreme Veteran

Excellent advice from John above!  Being your first, soak it all in and treat as a "very up-tempo training day."  Give it what you can and it is great to have a goal, but don't get too wrapped up in it.  As noted above, this is supposed to be FUN! 

A few course re-con notes: 

1) This is a beach start and Lake Mac is very shallow.  You can practically walk 3/4 of the way to the first buoy.  It is a little un-nerving swimming along, rolling to take a breath, and looking at somebody walking next to you.....Personally, I find swimming less of an effort than trying to "fast walk" thru the water, so I'll start to swim as soon as I'm about waist deep and know my hands won't hit the bottom.

2) You will be swimming into the sun for one leg of the swim "triangle."  Doesn't sound like we will have too much sun to worry about tomorrow though....

3) The bike course has just a couple of small "rollers", nothing a crank-bending monster like you can't handle.  There are some potholes that haven't (at least as of Wednesday) been repaired on the last couple of miles before the turnaround.  A couple of these are pretty deep, just be careful.

4) The bike racks are first come-first served.  It is a decent hike from the beach to the bike mount area, so I'd recommend racking closer to the bike-out end so you don't have to run too far in your bike shoes.

When are you coming over to pick up your packet?  I'll be wearing a Cross Country Cycle jersey and a Bike Sherpa visor.  Should have much more time to talk compared to Irish Jig!

2009-06-12 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2212757

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
grandhavenbill - 2009-06-12 9:10 AM

Excellent advice from John above!  Being your first, soak it all in and treat as a "very up-tempo training day."  Give it what you can and it is great to have a goal, but don't get too wrapped up in it.  As noted above, this is supposed to be FUN! 

A few course re-con notes: 

1) This is a beach start and Lake Mac is very shallow.  You can practically walk 3/4 of the way to the first buoy.  It is a little un-nerving swimming along, rolling to take a breath, and looking at somebody walking next to you.....Personally, I find swimming less of an effort than trying to "fast walk" thru the water, so I'll start to swim as soon as I'm about waist deep and know my hands won't hit the bottom.

2) You will be swimming into the sun for one leg of the swim "triangle."  Doesn't sound like we will have too much sun to worry about tomorrow though....

3) The bike course has just a couple of small "rollers", nothing a crank-bending monster like you can't handle.  There are some potholes that haven't (at least as of Wednesday) been repaired on the last couple of miles before the turnaround.  A couple of these are pretty deep, just be careful.

4) The bike racks are first come-first served.  It is a decent hike from the beach to the bike mount area, so I'd recommend racking closer to the bike-out end so you don't have to run too far in your bike shoes.

When are you coming over to pick up your packet?  I'll be wearing a Cross Country Cycle jersey and a Bike Sherpa visor.  Should have much more time to talk compared to Irish Jig!

thanks for the advice bill. Especially #4. Hadn't considered that. Up until last week I'd been using mtb shoes. No problem running in those. Switch to road shoes, holly eff is it hard to walk/run in those.
I am trying to corrdinate an emergency rear hub repair between my wife and LBS from work today. ever try to explain to your wife how to remove a rear wheel? Not fun. Hopefully they can have it fixed by tonight.

Looks like packet pick up starts at 6:00, so I want to be parked and at the pickup area at 6:00. I will have on a light blue (yes John, that's baby blue) tri top on. At that point, I'm sure I'll have on something else on to keep me warm though.

tri top

Edited by sigepbrad 2009-06-12 11:36 AM
2009-06-12 1:47 PM
in reply to: #2213373

User image

Extreme Veteran

What's up with your hub?  Might be able to help you out in the morning if you can't get it sorted out tonight.   Give me a call (616-402-1200) if you need help.

2009-06-12 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
There was a terrible noise coming off the back wheel. I was pretty sure I isolated it to the hub. The LBS took it apart and rebuilt it, but didn't find much wrong with it. It was a little out of adjustment (not even sure what they mean) but the bearings and races were fine. They said there was one grease on one side, and a different, probably not the right kind grease on the other side.
They re lubed and put everything back together. It seems to be in good shape. I guess we will find out tomorrow.

I just broke it to my wife that we are leaving at 5:15am. She isn't very happy about that. I'd like to meet up when I get there. Maybe rack my bike near you so you can stop me from making any big transition area / set up mistakes. Feel free to call me if you want. 616-340-6663.
I'll probably give you a call if I can't find you. See you in the AM.
-Brad
2009-06-12 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2214496

User image

Extreme Veteran

Fat fingered my cell....should be 402-1201.....

2009-06-14 4:52 AM

User image

Champion
marietta
BT rule # 43256a.1   post some thing abt your race within 5 seconds of finishing.

2009-06-14 10:33 AM
in reply to: #2215888

User image

Extreme Veteran

The force is strong in this one John!  Plain and simple, Brad kicked azz yesterday.  I'll let him fill you in on the details, but he did AWESOME for a first timer.  Kicked my backside in the swim....Way to go triathlete!

No more tips/pointers for you Brad!  At least you aren't in my age group.....    It was great to finally be able to spend some time with you and your family.  Hope we can make this a more regular thing!

As for my race: 

Swim:  Stunk.  First leg felt real sloppy/not smooth.  Second leg was good, long/strong strokes and gained some ground.  Form fell apart on the last leg and I couldn't hold a straight line to save my life.....Guess the doc was right when he said it would be close to a year before I would be at pre-crash form/performance....GRRRR!!!

T1:  ACK!!  Not my best....Stumbled getting last leg out of the wetsuit and then couldn't get my danged helmet strap buckled....Probably cost me a good 1 to 1:30........

Bike:  Very strong.  According to my computer, averaged around 22.3 mph (chip time for the bike leg includes both T1 and T2 - 21.8mph).  Roads were very wet so had to take the corners slow (there were some NASTY crashes...including at least one athlete going to the hospital).  Felt a bit week going up the rollers though which doesn't surprise me given the crazy mileage I've put in for the 24 hour ride next week.

T2:  Not bad.  I usually pull out of my shoes with about 500 yards to go to the dismount line and do a "flying dismount."  However, with the wet conditions, decided just to clip out and "clomp" back to the racks.  Quick change in to the running shoes, no issues.

Run:  Wow!  I've not been doing much running lately, guess the "less is more" rule applied for me yesterday.  Averaged 6:42's and felt really strong.  Tried to gun down one of my fellow AG'ers but he had a nice kick left with about 200 yards to go....

Two weeks to go for your HIM John!  Taper time:  it will likely drive you crazy and you won't feel like you are doing enough.  Trust the plan, it works.....You want to go into the race feeling fresh and wound tight!

2009-06-14 1:34 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
NICE JOB BILL!  Damn you haul a$$ on the bike and run.  Esp in those conditions.  OUTSTANDING.

I broke a pedal when I hoped on my bike this morning.  My last long ride before the HIM.  I guess the 45 miles won't matter at this point.  I may try to get one in this week.  The problem, logistically, is I have to drive an hour to get to any kind of hills.  Good news is I got a 2 hour run in instead.  My bike luck has got to change soon.
2009-06-14 6:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Well, sorry for the delay. I missed that rule in the rule book. My bad.
I had a great time. felt like it was a good showing for my first race. Swim went close to perfect for me. Bike seemed pretty good too. Run, we'll, I could have improved there.
Good to know that T1 & T2 were in the bike time. That would put my average speed at or near 21 mph. I'll take that with my Trek 1000.
Here's something I forgot to put in my race log. I rode for about 45 minutes with the same group. We kept passing each other again and again. The best part, one had an all carbon Felt tri bike, and another had a Trek tri bike with Zipp's on it. They must have been pissed getting passed by my Trek with stock wheels on it.
All in all, I had a great time. Good to finally get some time to talk to you Bill. We'll do it again for sure.
Nest stop, Johan's Olympic next weekend.

Here's my official race post.
2009-06-14 8:02 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
Great Job!   time to throw the Garmin away! 

btw... I got a text next day telling me that was not Bills cell.  too funny!
2009-06-18 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2216952

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
John, thanks for the shirt man. But it is wayyy too big.....

Edited by sigepbrad 2009-06-18 6:10 PM

(b.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
b.jpg (31KB - 13 downloads)

2009-06-18 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Wait, this is a little better.....

(j.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
j.jpg (40KB - 11 downloads)
2009-06-18 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Ah, here it is, perfect fit. I'm wearing this at Johan's. Do I look fast?

(brad.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
brad.jpg (37KB - 18 downloads)
2009-06-18 6:26 PM

User image

Champion
marietta
HYSTERICAL!!!!   Brooklyn is adorable and you look sooooo sexy... but # 2 is my favorite.  Send Jen to Texas any day!

2009-06-18 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2227815

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Jen said she is on her way. I then reminded her that you have the triathlon bug as bad as I do and she changed her mind. Sorry. Her next boyfriend will not be a triathlete.

A week and a half 'til the big one? You ready? I've got an olympic on Saturday. Can't wait. Didn't we have some kind of bet for your first olympic? We should probably do the same for mine. I'm shooting for 2:30:00. Are you in? What are the terms?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22