BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2009-04-24 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2103990

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Subject: RE: kalalau's Group - FULL for now

ras26 - 2009-04-22 9:08 PM

It's been pretty quiet here.  How is training going for everyone?  Abbie, how's the bike going?  Chicago Dave, how is your race recovery going?  Steve, I haven't checked your logs recently.  What have you been up to?

It's been a bad training week for Dave.  :-(  You'd think with that, I still wouldn't be overwhelmed with things going on, but I am.  Last night I spent "my bike/run" session just working on the bike and making adjustments.  Which need to be done, but takes time away from training, and who knows if I resolved my chain or derailluer problem.

Hopefully I can get a big swim in tonight, then a good ride tomorrow, and something good on Sunday.  I haven't even run since Saturday!  Would be nice if I added a run onto the metric century, but the 3pm lunch has a way of eating into such ideas.

2009-04-24 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2100020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Mooney - 2009-04-21 1:13 PM Hey all.
Well, I may be out of commission for the season, but I'm still very enthusiastic about tri-sport.  I think this enthusiasm is contagious.

My daughter (age 10) is now interested in competing in a kids' triathlon in June.  I mentioned it to her last fall, and she's been asking about it ever since.

I avoided discussing it for a while because I want to be sure I'm not pushing her into anything she's not comfortable with.  I don't want to be one of those dads that projects his interests onto his kids.  She seems genuinely interested.

So here's the question - Does anyone have experience with training kids?  She's probably too young for hardcore endurance training.  She also does soccer and gymnastics during the week.  My plan is to do a run/bike with her on Saturdays, and maybe a swim on Sundays (or vice versa.  We'll mix it up).  She is comfortable swimming (has taken lessons).

Distance is 75 yd swim, 3 mi bike, 1 mi run.  Finishing won't be a problem, so we'll be working on speed.

Working on speed sounds like a decent idea.  You could also make a weekly or semi-weekly dry run of a triathlon, at whatever distance, so she could get a feel for what will happen.

Same kinds of rules still apply.  For distance, use the 10% rule for increases in mileage.  For speedwork, don't kill yourself with repeated speedwork day after day.  And as you are already thinking, you'll have to be concerned about burning her out or making it not something she wants.

I've seen some crazy fast kids out there.  There's this one girl in my area who I noticed at age 11, coming in near the top of the runners in 5ks and such.  She was doing marathons by age 13, coming in at 3:17.  She's 14 or 15 now.  Fast girl.  Some may say she shouldn't be doing that mileage at such a young age.  But her family seems to be pretty strict about her training, and they have a good background on the sport.

I also trained a friend's kid to do a 5k at age 11.  He didn't train like I wanted him to, but come race day, he still did a 27:00 5k.  He did great.  He hasn't run once since though.  But he can say he's done a race now.

We're going to sign up Roger's 6 year old for a 5k pretty soon.  That should be fun.  His kids have been running in the local club's "kids races" for a year or so now.

Edited by kalalau 2009-04-24 1:56 PM
2009-04-24 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2108398

User image

Randolph, NJ
The race starts as 2 lanes going in until the faster runners turn around and start on the way back then it switches to 1 lane in 1 lane out. They did add an earlier heat for anyone under 25 minutes...I am afraid to commit to it though...what if i can't finish in under 25 and they have to wait for ME to start the next heat! How embarrassing would that be?!?!

Good luck with your bike problems Dave...hope u get out to run and enjoy this weather.

Edited by abbiesue 2009-04-24 3:35 PM
2009-04-25 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2108673

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

abbiesue - 2009-04-24 4:32 PM The race starts as 2 lanes going in until the faster runners turn around and start on the way back then it switches to 1 lane in 1 lane out. They did add an earlier heat for anyone under 25 minutes...I am afraid to commit to it though...what if i can't finish in under 25 and they have to wait for ME to start the next heat! How embarrassing would that be?!?!

Good luck with your bike problems Dave...hope u get out to run and enjoy this weather.

Thanks, my derailluers worked well today so maybe those videos on the web are a good help. :-)

I am willing to lay money on you coming in under 25 minutes.  Maybe the pressure would make you run faster. :-)  Ok, so you are in the 25+ group, no big deal, just make sure you are near the front of that group.

I bet there will be people who don't come in under 25 minutes for that first group.  Unfortunately there are people out there who just don't care if people are waiting for them.

Have a good race!!  It's going to be a blast.

2009-04-25 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1876643

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I'm sitting here wondering if Becky was out there on that bike ride today cursing me out for saying it wouldn't be that bad. :-)  Whew what a hot hilly bike ride we had today.  And the aid stations weren't as stocked as I expected.  But the volunteers were wonderful.  How did you do, Becky?  Did Josh stay with you the whole time?

The hills aren't as bad as the "Eat a Peach" ride in the fall, but it was hilly enough that I saw some folks walking their bikes up the hills.  I also saw one woman give up at the last aid station, and called for the SAG wagon.  It was pretty funny near the end when you would see yet another hill pop up!  The temp when I drove away was 90.  Yikes.  Well at least we weren't running. :-)

2009-04-25 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2110104

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-04-25 5:15 PM

I'm sitting here wondering if Becky was out there on that bike ride today cursing me out for saying it wouldn't be that bad. :-)  Whew what a hot hilly bike ride we had today.  And the aid stations weren't as stocked as I expected.  But the volunteers were wonderful.  How did you do, Becky?  Did Josh stay with you the whole time?

The hills aren't as bad as the "Eat a Peach" ride in the fall, but it was hilly enough that I saw some folks walking their bikes up the hills.  I also saw one woman give up at the last aid station, and called for the SAG wagon.  It was pretty funny near the end when you would see yet another hill pop up!  The temp when I drove away was 90.  Yikes.  Well at least we weren't running. :-)

Nope.  Not cursing you.  How much of a wuss do you take me for??  I had a great time!  I made it up all the hills without any issues, but it was hot!  Really the only hills I thought were bad for me were 9-10.5 miles or so where there were pretty long, sorta steep uphills, with no preceding downhills for me to get some speed.  I chugged up them though, and am really proud of how I did.  I didn't push it as hard as I could have on the flats because I just didn't know what was coming and wanted to be sure I made it.  I was quick through the stops, basically filling my bottles and moving on.  I was so excited; I passed people...like at least 10 around and after the second water stop to the end, many on uphills.  I guess my winter training and Frederick county hills paid off!  I'll have to go back and look at my 56 mile split.  I think it was just over 3:45.  Overall this ride was challenging, but a great workout and also a great confidence booster for me.  Thanks for suggesting it!!  :-)  Oh, and as for the "at least it wasn't a run" part...that's tomorrow, when it's supposed to be equally hot.  :-(

2009-04-25 7:16 PM
in reply to: #2110239

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-04-25 6:46 PM
Nope.  Not cursing you.  How much of a wuss do you take me for??  I had a great time!  I made it up all the hills without any issues, but it was hot!  Really the only hills I thought were bad for me were 9-10.5 miles or so where there were pretty long, sorta steep uphills, with no preceding downhills for me to get some speed.  I chugged up them though, and am really proud of how I did.  I didn't push it as hard as I could have on the flats because I just didn't know what was coming and wanted to be sure I made it.  I was quick through the stops, basically filling my bottles and moving on.  I was so excited; I passed people...like at least 10 around and after the second water stop to the end, many on uphills.  I guess my winter training and Frederick county hills paid off!  I'll have to go back and look at my 56 mile split.  I think it was just over 3:45.  Overall this ride was challenging, but a great workout and also a great confidence booster for me.  Thanks for suggesting it!!  :-)  Oh, and as for the "at least it wasn't a run" part...that's tomorrow, when it's supposed to be equally hot.  :-(

Yeah I thought the early hills were tough too, but was wondering if it was just me starting out slow.  Wow if you did 3:45 for your 56 mile split, you were faster than we were.  My friend struggled, especially in the last 30 miles.  We seemed to be in a pack of strugglers.  What time did you start?

Great job on the bike ride!  That sounds really encouraging.  Seems like it's a good training ride for Columbia, and will make Eagleman's bike ride seem pretty easy! 

It's nice that we can do these bike rides without even getting a map out.  Having the course marked on the street is a huge plus (all the ones I've done, mark the course like that).  I am thinking about heading out there again before our races.

Good luck on your run tomorrow!

2009-04-29 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Oh no!  Too quiet.  Is Steve back from Florida with a report yet?  Who is doing Frederick this weekend?  I am in for the 4:15 group.  I was the lead but I think I am the socializer now.  Each has its pluses and negatives. :-)

2009-04-30 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2119113

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-04-29 4:43 PM

Oh no!  Too quiet.  Is Steve back from Florida with a report yet?  Who is doing Frederick this weekend?  I am in for the 4:15 group.  I was the lead but I think I am the socializer now.  Each has its pluses and negatives. :-)

I'm in!  I hope to run with you, for 13.1 anyway.  :-)  A 9:55 pace gets me my 2:10 goal, but my intention is to let you pace me at a 9:45 for as long as I can and hope that I banked enough time to get my goal if I have to slow down.  Here's hoping!
2009-04-30 10:40 PM
in reply to: #2122725

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-04-30 11:29 PM
I'm in!  I hope to run with you, for 13.1 anyway.  :-)  A 9:55 pace gets me my 2:10 goal, but my intention is to let you pace me at a 9:45 for as long as I can and hope that I banked enough time to get my goal if I have to slow down.  Here's hoping!

Hahaha, well planning a bonk to a PR is not the normal way but we will be there encouraging you to go fast!  Maybe you can hang and get 2:07!  Plus the longer you stay with us, the more you can laugh at Bob (leader) and I wearing our leg compression sleeves and looking like dorks.  Pretty sure he will wear his.  He's riding back to Lutherville from Frederick after the marathon!  58 mile ride after a marathon.

I'd tell you what I'd look like so you can find me.. but, it'll be the same gear all the other pacers are wearing!  I'll be standing next to the 4:15 sign, the one with hair, and probably with temporary tattoos on my face.  The tats will likely make me stand out. :-)

Steve, come join us!  Yes it's early but if you keep doing these races, this one will seem early compared to others that start at 5 or so!

Edited by kalalau 2009-04-30 10:46 PM
2009-04-30 10:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

BTW REI is doing their 20% off one item deal again.  Good time to get race stuff or nutrition.  Can go in store, or online with code ANNV9

2009-05-01 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

The key to "bonking" and still coming in at a decent time is to notice it early and back off before you actually do hit that suffering point.  You don't want to run 8 miles at 9:43 pace, realize you are suffering, and then really push to hold on to the 9:43, and bonk at mile 10, then suffer with walks or 12 minute miles the last 3 miles.  Would be much better at that mile 8 to realize this, and slow down a bit.  Treat it as a 5 mile run at that point, and put in a 5 mile level of effort (not 5 mile pace; effort).  The first 8 miles is in the past.  Same thought process goes for if you are behind your planned pace, focus on the 5 miles, not the past.  Doesn't matter if you are behind what you wanted, you can only do something about the next 5 miles.

Looks like we have lots of rain to deal with in the next week, doesn't look great for bike riding.  Frederick race day, you might want to wear a plastic bag before and maybe even during the beginning of the race.  Good way to keep dry and warm.

If the forecast changes, I would like to ride the Columbia Tri course after the race.

2009-05-01 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2124290

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-05-01 3:21 PM

The key to "bonking" and still coming in at a decent time is to notice it early and back off before you actually do hit that suffering point.  You don't want to run 8 miles at 9:43 pace, realize you are suffering, and then really push to hold on to the 9:43, and bonk at mile 10, then suffer with walks or 12 minute miles the last 3 miles.  Would be much better at that mile 8 to realize this, and slow down a bit.  Treat it as a 5 mile run at that point, and put in a 5 mile level of effort (not 5 mile pace; effort).  The first 8 miles is in the past.  Same thought process goes for if you are behind your planned pace, focus on the 5 miles, not the past.  Doesn't matter if you are behind what you wanted, you can only do something about the next 5 miles.

Looks like we have lots of rain to deal with in the next week, doesn't look great for bike riding.  Frederick race day, you might want to wear a plastic bag before and maybe even during the beginning of the race.  Good way to keep dry and warm.

If the forecast changes, I would like to ride the Columbia Tri course after the race.

That actually is really good advice.  Thanks!  I am all too familiar with how easy it is to focus on the past miles once you get behind.  I have a feeling I'll know pretty early in the race if I'm going to be able to hold the pace or not.  With the exception of last Sunday which was a bit of a disaster, my run training has been going really well this year.  I've had this strategy before with mixed results, so we'll just see what Sunday holds.  :-)  Also good advice on the garbage bag.  I've been lucky to have never really had to run a race in the rain (Nashville '08 was wet at the beginning), so I'll be really bummed if it is a crummy day on Sunday.  I was really beginning to need new shoes and I finally was able to get around to picking them up today.  Against most people's instincts, I'll wear the new shoes if it's not raining.  I've had the same series of shoe for like 3 years now and have never had an issue, even going long on the first wear.  Gotta keep it interesting! 
2009-05-02 12:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Thanks!  Well, it still looks a little dicey for Sunday, but such days are common for PRs.  Who knows!  It's only just out of reach, Down the block, on a beach, Maybe Frederick . . .

Hmm, shame on you wearing new shoes. :-)  But least it's the same series of shoe and you have experience.  At least it's not a marathon for you.

2009-05-03 5:23 AM

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
Hey guys,

sorry for being a little MIA lately. I had vacation and then had to pay the price with all the work I needed to catch up on.

Good luck today at Frederick
2009-05-03 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Wow it was super cool to see Becky run off to that half marathon finish line to a mid 2:06 finish!!  She stuck with my group the whole way.  She was super focused on having a good race today and she did it!  And didn't even seem to have a hard time doing it. :-)  Smiling away.

Frederick was pretty nice today.  There was a light rain throughout almost the whole race, but it was the type of rain that made you feel comfortable because you didn't get overheated.  The 4:15 group came in at 4:15:18.  The last mile marker was off and we were thrown off a bit.  But we had a good 5-7 people that went the whole way with us.  We sent them off at mile 24, so they were even better on their 4:15 mark than we were, as they were just ahead of us.  Pretty satisfying day.

2009-05-03 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2126646

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Great job out there today, Dave.  Your pacing group really did an excellent job.  I can vouch for the first half anyway.  I am so pleased with how far my run fitness has come, even since just last fall.  I am feeling it now in my quads and hamstrings, but if I'd known I was going to feel that good and still get a 2:06:22, I might have pushed for a 2:05!  I really had no idea that was possible.  I didn't venture ahead of you all, because I just wasn't sure how long I could do that pace and really didn't want to blow my original goal by doing something stupid.  I'll put my race report up tomorrow and fix my log entry.  I put it in before the results were up.

ETA:  Just for the record, I wore the old shoes.  I had a little knee soreness around mile 5 or so, but it went away, or the adrenaline masked it anyway.  :-)

Edited by ras26 2009-05-03 8:31 PM
2009-05-04 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Yeah you did great, congratulations!! :-)

The Columbia Tri race instructions email arrived today, with wave assignments. :-)  Thump, thump.  Much more real now.  I will hopefully be getting out of the water as Becky gets in, and it looks like you have an opportunity to beat J out of the water! :-)

Wave assignments make triathlons go strangely.  You never know where the others are around you, except those in your age group.  Roger will be starting 8 minutes behind me.  Thus, if I see him, that means he is 8 minutes ahead of me!  His son will start 32 minutes behind me, but I am pretty sure I will see him on the bike ride. :-)

2009-05-04 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2129575

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
kalalau - 2009-05-04 5:40 PM

The Columbia Tri race instructions email arrived today, with wave assignments. :-)  Thump, thump.  Much more real now.  I will hopefully be getting out of the water as Becky gets in, and it looks like you have an opportunity to beat J out of the water! :-)

I saw the wave assignments.  J actually starts 8 minutes before me (he's older than meSmile), AND he's been faster in the water recently, so I won't see him until he's cheering me on at the finish.

You get a 16 minute head start on J.  You think he'll catch you? 

Edited by ras26 2009-05-04 5:40 PM
2009-05-04 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2129703

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

ras26 - 2009-05-04 6:32 PM

I saw the wave assignments.  J actually starts 8 minutes before me (he's older than meSmile), AND he's been faster in the water recently, so I won't see him until he's cheering me on at the finish.

You get a 16 minute head start on J.  You think he'll catch you? 

Doh!

Haha.  Well not in the water.  And I don't know what to think about the bike.  He should be able to crush me on the run, but not 16 minutes worth.  He would have to have a really good bike ride.  I hope I will be 19mph+ on the bike.  I should be a ton better than my 17.5 avg 3 years ago.  Not sure if I can hit my 8:21 run pace from that year but it shouldn't be too far off that.  I might be able to do well in transitions because of my experience but a lot of practice will fix that quick.  I think he would have to do 21+mph on the bike, and a 7:20 pace on the run, then maybe he has a shot at passing me, if we match swim and transitions.  Seems within his reach.

Swimming can be dicey.  One of us could end up off course a bit, though I've been good at that.  I can probably do the swim in around 27-28 mins.

Don't think I didn't notice you didn't ask of if he will beat me, you just asked if I will see him. ;-)

2009-05-05 8:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
I have a really tri-newbie question about transitions.  When you are leaving and coming back into transition on the bike, there are mount and dismount lines, right?  My assumption is that you are not allowed to get on your bike until after the mount line, and you have to be off your bike before the dismount line.  Is this correct?

I'm getting really nervous and excited about columbia.  What other basic things may I have overlooked?  TIA.

ETA:  A thread answering this question and others appeared in the general tri forum today: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... />

Edited by ras26 2009-05-05 1:10 PM

2009-05-05 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2130788

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
ras26 - 2009-05-05 9:53 AM

I have a really tri-newbie question about transitions.  When you are leaving and coming back into transition on the bike, there are mount and dismount lines, right?  My assumption is that you are not allowed to get on your bike until after the mount line, and you have to be off your bike before the dismount line.  Is this correct?

I'm getting really nervous and excited about columbia.  What other basic things may I have overlooked?  TIA.

ETA:  A thread answering this question and others appeared in the general tri forum today: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp... />

You are correct about the mount/dismount area. Be careful in the mount area because it is uphill coming out of T1. I wouldn't clip in until you're up to speed. You see plenty of riders who don't have their bikes in a low enough gear that clip in but can't get enough speed going to downshift and they end up falling over.

One more thing about Columbia that I have found a little different from other Tris is that there are 3 entry/exit points. Most I have ran have 2 (sometimes close together or on opposite sides). I would take some time to find your spot in transition coming in from each of the entry points and find your way to the appropiate exit.

One lesson I learned on the course is to not come out of the saddle on the hills. My hammys were toast on the run because I tried to push the hills. That was definitely a rookie mistake.

Also, I found it's easier to get into the bathrooms by the docks instead of waiting for the Port O Pots (just be sure to bring some TP). Another good place with a short line is by the swim start/finish line up on the hill behind where the teams and club set up.

One last thing, if you're really tired at the end you should rest on the back side of the lake so you have some energy to pick up speed towards the finish line where the spectators are. :-)

Okay this is the last thing.............DON'T LOOK AT YOUR WATCH AS YOU CROSS THE FINISH LINE!!! It will ruin your finish picture.

You guys will do great. I'm really jealous now. I didn't sign up for the race because I didn't think I would have had enough time to train after my 50K. I'll be there next year. I'm going to try and come out and watch so we'll have to try and meet up.

Edited by SCamp07 2009-05-05 2:06 PM
2009-05-05 2:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
Steve, thanks for the great info specific to Columbia!  I just realized looking at the course maps that it appears you swim counter-clockwise.  Now I have something new to freak out about because at this time I exclusively breathe to the right...the opposite direction that I should look to see the buoys!  I wonder if I can learn to left side breathe in 2 weeks??  How close are the swim buoys together?  I'm a little afraid of getting off course since I've never done OWS before.  I've done the bike route twice and am not that worried about the run, but swimming is another story. 
2009-05-05 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

- To follow up on Steve's comment, in triathlons, it's best to have your bike already in a low gear, when you rack it.  That way there are never any issues with starting out on the bike.

- Steve, if you are looking for a triathlon that weekend, Pinchot Park in York is a good one.  I would rather do that one since it it low key and more intimate.  But I guess we all have to do Columbia at times. It's "the thing to do." :-)

- I will be breathing exclusively on my right side as well.  Don't fret about it at this point.  You will find a way to site the buoys if you want to.  If you want to work on something, work on sighting ahead while breathing on your right side.  Yes, straying off course is a real issue to be concerned about, but as long as you keep your head on that idea, you should be ok.  Just don't swim and assume you are swimming straight. :-)  Even if there are others around you.  They may have been following you, or if you are following them, they could just as easily be off course.  Many times in races, the kayaks surrounding you will keep you from getting too far, but I don't think I saw kayaks near me at Columbia when I did it, and I know I swam wide.  I guess they figure we can only go too far and we aren't a threat to head out into the ocean. :-)

I did a bunch of hillwork on the tri course today.  Thought I was doing 9 mile loops on the back end, but mapmyrun.com shows 8.1 mile loops.  Ugh!!  Disappointing to have done shorter than I thought.

2009-05-05 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2131929

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

SCamp07 - 2009-05-05 3:05 PM Also, I found it's easier to get into the bathrooms by the docks instead of waiting for the Port O Pots (just be sure to bring some TP). Another good place with a short line is by the swim start/finish line up on the hill behind where the teams and club set up. One last thing, if you're really tired at the end you should rest on the back side of the lake so you have some energy to pick up speed towards the finish line where the spectators are. :-) Okay this is the last thing.............DON'T LOOK AT YOUR WATCH AS YOU CROSS THE FINISH LINE!!! It will ruin your finish picture. You guys will do great. I'm really jealous now. I didn't sign up for the race because I didn't think I would have had enough time to train after my 50K. I'll be there next year. I'm going to try and come out and watch so we'll have to try and meet up.

Let us know if you come out.  Thanks for the tips about the bathrooms!  And yes, my most hated pictures are those where I am looking at my watch when I finish. :-)  So dorky.

Apparently a bunch of BTers are also going to Pasta Blitz the night before.  I am thinking about doing that, but we'll see what my friends are doing.  I really like that Italian Market place in PO, and I try to push for that place everytime a race comes up. :-)

Edited by kalalau 2009-05-05 7:19 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kalalau's Group - FULL for now Rss Feed  

of 38