BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-07-16 12:09 PM
in reply to: #2070412

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)
Thanks all!!  I am actually doing the sprint race, but the bike 24 miles, Scott is doing the olympic.  Worried that I am going to forget something, but since it is only a sprint I figure I can't forget too much right?

2009-07-16 1:09 PM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Subject: RE: Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!)

Scott & Dewey ~ y'all have a great race...it will cool to meet each other I am sure!  Have fun, race hard and let us know how it goes as soon as possible.  Best of luck guys!

2009-07-17 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Dewey, my cell is 275-7120.  I'll be in the old farts transition area, 55-59.  I have an Orbea Ordu, black.  I'm extremely good looking.    Well, maybe not so much.

I use glucosamine.  It is sold as Move Free or just as glucosamine/chondroitin.  (Unsure of that spelling.)   I couldn't close my fingers before I use it.  Now I could play the piano if I knew how.  It is a miracle drug for creaky joints.  I am serious.  Over the counter.  It is pricey, but you can usually find one brand with a 2 for 1 sale.  Try it for a month and see if it helps.  I kid you not.

Also, Dewey, check Beginnerstriathlon.com for a race check list.  The USAT member kit has a really good one too when you joined.  They really help to pay attention to details.  My manager is incredible with details too.  That one reason I married her. She is as good as Johan Bruynell.  The other reason was I love her dearly.   

Looking forward to tomorrow.  Believe it or not, it will be in the 50s tonigght again and only low 70s tomorrow.  Usually we are fighting 90s here by now.  Wet suits could even be legal.  As much as I hate them, I'll take mine and use it ...I don't want to give up that kind of advantage from the get go.

Riding the bike shortly to rev the legs tonight and to tune the bike. 

Helping with set up this afternoon.  Have to get goggles too.  My primary pair, the strap broke. 

WooHoo!  I love racing!

Edited by IceManScott 2009-07-17 7:32 AM
2009-07-17 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2291127

Regular
Newport Beach
IceManScott - 2009-07-17 7:31 AM Dewey, my cell is 275-7120.  I'll be in the old farts transition area, 55-59.  I have an Orbea Ordu, black.  I'm extremely good looking.    Well, maybe not so much.

Iceman, your posts crack me up.  I don't think you qualify for the geriatric category yet.  But just in case, maybe you could slap some aero bars on this rig:

Race hard.  Looking forward to reading your race report.
JG
2009-07-17 11:24 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
I love it, it looks aerodynamic with a comfortable saddle. 
2009-07-19 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I'll get the race report done tomorrow but here are my preliminary thouh]ghts...Swim-CRAZY....I got dunked 3 times coming out of the water.  I guess I am too nice.  I was very disapointed with this part of the race.  i was at 2:27 100s which is by far the worst I have ever done....sigh.  well onto the good part .  The Bike!!  What I thought was going to be my worst by far was my best I have ever done.  I averaged 18.1 MPH and I have been above 17 only once before and that wasnt a high 17.  Very pleased.  I think the competitive juices flowed here.  When I saw someone ahead of me I had to pass them .  When I went into T2 to transisition to run I got a huge cramp in my left calf and thought it was going to be trouble.  It worked itself out though, but my pace was around 9:36.  Not great but I could live with it considering I have not done any bricks before the race

Overall I finished 10th in my age group out of I believe 16...I'll call it a top 10!!!  Considering the fact that I had not worked out for the 2 weeks prior to the race because of my knee I am overall happy.   That is all for now.  Race report to follow.

2009-07-19 11:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

The tri was great fun.  Unexpected things happened though.  One was a woman stopped on the boat ramp getting out in front of me, forcing me to trui to put my legs down with a wet suit and finding I was in deep water.  Result was a hyper extended back that reinjured a 35 year old problem that I’ve dealt with on and off since I injured my back in a factory.  I couldn’t hardly walk to my bike. 

I got my shoes on, got out of transition (over 4 minutes later) and rode 25 miles at 19.7 mph average.  Killer pain every turn when I had to get up to handle the brakes.  I rode at only 83% FTP, so it cost me time. My cadence was pretty good, nearly 90 average, I spun up the hills well.  I shifted down to the smaller ring on climbs which I did not have to do ever in practice. I just couldn't push down hard like I normally can without shooting pains.  I'm OK with the result.

The run transition was ok, but I was sapped a bit from the pain.  Ran at 11 min splits instead of the 10 and under I wanted.

I was 7th of 16 in the age group in the swim, 6th in the bike and dead last on the run.   Total time was 3 hours, 8 minutes which I’m told is OK.

Came out as 15th of 16 overall. Blah.

But I couldn't swim more than 100 yards or run at all a year ago, so I've got that going for me.  My bike max probably wasn't much more at 17.5 either. For a year time, being in the middle of the pack ont he swim and bike is good, I think.  I have work to do on the run. 

Progress.  I just want more. 

Goals;

- Reduce run time by adding a faster, shorter work every week.

- Focus on increasing my bike average.

- Lose more weight.  I have 20 that still needs to go to increase my power to weight ratio.

- Find some sprints and an Oly for the rest of the year.  Race some running races for faster times. 

- Add strength workouts to improve muscle tone, especially at the core.

- Plan on a half Iron Man sometime later next year.

- Keep the door open on a full Ironman in 2011.

Edited by IceManScott 2009-07-20 12:00 AM
2009-07-20 5:29 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Congrats to both of you for working so hard and toughing out your races.  Your efforts were super and I take it you got to meet each other, which is great!  Nice job Dewey and Scott!!
2009-07-20 6:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Way to go both of you!!!  Scott, way to battle through adversity, and I hope your back heals up quickly.  I can sympathize, as I have a chronically bad lower back (for the last 14 years) that gets significantly worse every now and again.  Sometimes, I can't straighten up coming into transition - when that happens, the volunters, I'm sure, contemplate calling a medic over.  Oh well, it wouldn't be fun if it were easy, right?

And Dew, great splits!!  You're swim time is actually pretty respectable given the circumstances, and I'm jealous of it.  Great job on the other two legs as well and congrats on the top 10 finish!!  Woot!

2009-07-20 6:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks all.  Race report is out.  I actually ended up 10th even though the preliminary readout said 9th.  Scott, sorry to hear about the injury.  I hope you are able to work it out.  As far as races the canton sprint is in 2 weeks and then there is the railsplitter in springfield in I believe three weeks.  I am doing the Canton sprint.  Just FYI.

Now that I have had a few days to think about it I am pretty happy with my results.  I just can't get over how much better my biking was and how much worse my swim was.  That swim exit was just rough lol!!  I am looking forward to the race in 2 weeks to see what times I can improve. 

I want to thank everyone on here for their support.  Reading all of your comments and inspires helped to keep me excited and , well, inspired .  I have one race under my belt and another in two weeks and then I can start to prepare for the 1/2 ironman next May.  Yes, even after this one I am still stoked for that!!!  Thanks all!!!!

p.s.-How do you guys get your pictures to look so good when they won't let you download anything over 50K?  Mine looks terrible GRRR!!!

Edited by dewcubs 2009-07-20 6:47 AM
2009-07-20 7:49 AM
in reply to: #2295323

User image

Master
Maryland
dewcubs - 2009-07-20 6:46 AM Thanks all.  Race report is out.  I actually ended up 10th even though the preliminary readout said 9th.  Scott, sorry to hear about the injury.  I hope you are able to work it out.  As far as races the canton sprint is in 2 weeks and then there is the railsplitter in springfield in I believe three weeks.  I am doing the Canton sprint.  Just FYI.

p.s.-How do you guys get your pictures to look so good when they won't let you download anything over 50K?  Mine looks terrible GRRR!!!

Dewey, I have not yet figured out how to download a pic for my profile yet.  I get the message that it is too big.

2009-07-20 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2295409

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Terps421 - 2009-07-20 8:49 AM
dewcubs - 2009-07-20 6:46 AM Thanks all.  Race report is out.  I actually ended up 10th even though the preliminary readout said 9th.  Scott, sorry to hear about the injury.  I hope you are able to work it out.  As far as races the canton sprint is in 2 weeks and then there is the railsplitter in springfield in I believe three weeks.  I am doing the Canton sprint.  Just FYI.

Dewey, I have not yet figured out how to download a pic for my profile yet.  I get the message that it is too big.

Just use a progam like Picasa, or Microsoft's Picture software (forget the exact name).  Reducing an image to 50k should not deteriorate it's quality given the small size at which it is displayed.  Some programs, however, (for some reason) can over-pixelate the down-sized image. 

I've also heard decent things about www.tinypic.com (online hosting of images, with automated resizing available).

2009-07-20 4:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fixed the picture a little bit at least.
2009-07-21 10:57 AM

User image

Great jobs Scott & Dewey!  Let the lows go... and hold onto those Highs!  You can learn or work to improve on your lows, but short of that... sometimes Sh*t Happens!  I am the world's worst at dwelling on the bad... please don't follow that path. 

Dewey - for your frist tri and the fact that you were racing after a two week break and a possible injury and still finished strong and had a great bike split... It is very impressive!!! Great mental & physical strength!   FWIW ~ a race swim is SO much different than training swims! It may have been your slowest, but until you do for the first one... you have nothing really to base it off of!  Now you know, and you will be able to move up and improve from here.  Once again ~ GREAT JOB!

Scott - Great job as well!  You showed us youngsters what heart, determination, and strength is all about.  I hope I can stay as active as you are when I reach your age!  You are an inspiration and serve as a motivation to keep striving, training and your positive attitude is infectious! 

Great job again guys!  Y'all rock!
2009-07-22 7:45 AM

Freeland
Nice work guys.  I need to get my a$$ in gear i got another sprint on Aug 15.  Iwill be more prepared I hope.  I hope everybody is having a great summer.
2009-07-26 2:49 PM

User image

Master
Maryland
Official times are not out yet, no chip timing used here.  The RD said next year he will use chip timing.  I came in 1st in my ag!!!!!!Sealed  Wow, pretty neat.  This race was interesting in that it was raining heavily and I have never ridden in the rain.  A fellow BTer said just take the turns easy and so that is what I tried to do.  The race had about 400 people to use one pool and my start time was several hours later than the first swimmers.  It was still raining during my swim and part of the bike.  The rain stopped during the run and of course the sun came out in full force.  By that time though, I was glad it was not raining.  I was pleased with my first pool swim, a lot calmer than the ows.  I just don't like waiting so long in line for my turn, that was different.  My bike went really well.  I only took it easy on the turns due to wet pavement.  My run was fair since it was pretty hot by then.  This race was so much fun.  People can be so inspiring!  I was happy to meet a few MD BTers too.Laughing

2009-07-26 7:27 PM

Freeland
Good work Terps, I to can not beleive how friendly fellow triathletes are
2009-07-27 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2309013

User image

Veteran
Wow...I needed to catch up with my AMAZING group here...I have been feeling doubtful about my upcoming tri. Enough about that though..

Terps - I am not surprised that you nabbed 1st in your AG. You have been working SO hard! Congratulations!

Dewy - Wow, nice first tri! holy smokes I would love your run time!!  Also...sweet pic...looks really great!  Also, I'm soothed by the fact that you couldn't practice for two weeks prior to the race b/c I am TOTALLY sweating the fact that I only have run b/c of my trip to London, etc and I have a race this Sunday...my toughest one yet!  It's a totally tough course and I will have people actually watching.  People I CARE about! I'm really angsted out and was thinking about quitting until I read your report.  Thank you so much for posting...clearly you have some nice natural ability in addition to your training that helped pull you through with shining colors!

Iceman - You are my inspiration. A hurt back and you go on? Wow. Amazing.
2009-07-27 8:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job Terps!!!!  Everyone on here just rocks and helps to keep the motivation at a high level.  I am dreading a race with bad weather as I have not trained for that.

GColler- just enjoy the race and the fact they are they for you!!!  When you see them, and you will, take the extra 2-3 seconds to acknowledge them and it will make the day so much better for all of you.  My dad yelled at me on the run to go faster and I just let out a huge breath and said"DEAD!!" that made everyone laugh.....remember this is for us and we should have fun with it if we can!!!!
2009-07-27 9:02 AM

User image

Linda rocked the HARDWARE!  Way to represent!  woot-woot!  Awesome job ~ you put in the time in your training and you deserve that 1st Place!  Your work ethic and dedication is an inspiration in itself! 

Grace ~ we all go through the ebbs and flows of training and anxiety associated with race day.  You will do well... stay positive and like Dewey said ~ Just have fun out there!  Ease the anxiety, the worry or negative thoughts with a big ol' happy face!  Smile, enjoy the moment, know that the pain will fade and the endorphins will be all consuming when you cross that finish line!

Keep workin' it hard gang ~ have fun and look good, like you know we should!!! 

2009-07-27 7:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Wow Terps - great job!!!!!!

I had a fun weekend, even if it didn't set me up very well for the race (see my logs if you want).

I had a decent race.  I had my best swim yet (5th in AG and top 30% OA), a decent bike, and an off run.  Finished MOP in my age group.  I'm generally satisfied with those kinds of results, particularly the swim.

The race report is up!

Thanks everyone, for the inspires - it was great to read them all!

2009-07-28 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Oh, and here's Terp's race report.  Go ahead and hammer her with praise!

2009-07-28 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Maryland
Thanks for posting it Jeff! After reading your "easy" directions on how to do this, I am confident ....not.  But thank you for posting the link, I appreciate it! Laughing

I hope everyone has a good training week!
2009-07-29 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Check this out to fix your pictures; http://www.photosize.com/  Free, resizes so you can save a smaller version without hurting the original.

Linda, great job!  Riding in rain is challenging two ways.  Falls and flats.  Prevent one as you said, using caution on turns.  Also, avoid riding on the street paint.  Lane markings get very very slick.  You can also reduce tire pressure a little to increase traction. 

My own health has sucked.  Temps up to 104.  Cellulitis attacked my lower right leg.  Two kinds, one slow to come, slow to go.  Treated outpatient.  This was my second bout with the hot fast moving kind.  Fast to come, very sick, hard to get on top of, hard to beat.  5 days in the hospital ended yesterday.  Now 10 days on two pills.  (One cost $200 for 10.  Insurance picked up half.)

Leg is sore, red, and stiff.  Affected area is shrinking.  No temp.  At work after discharge at 5 p.m. yesterday.  

Pluses. 

-I didn't lose my leg which almost happen3d last time because I was so fat the medicine was hampered.
-I won't lose much in the way of fitness.  Last week was a rest week anyway.  My coach assures me not to worry.  I remember Lance on Ventoux and think, if he can do that after 4 years, I'm jake.  
- Gives me time to map out what's to come this fall.

The struggle has been both physical and mental. Athletes tend to beat themselves up for things like this.  But I didn't cause it.  A bug bite probably did, no kidding.  Crap happens sometimes.  Go with the flow.  Fighting it and getting frustrated does no good.

Edited by IceManScott 2009-07-29 2:09 PM
2009-07-29 1:42 PM

User image

Glad to read you are on the road to recovery Scott.  Any inury/sickness set back can be worrisome/frustrating, BUT ~ getting back to a 100% is muy importante.  I would agree that you will not be losing any fitness with being off for a week, even two weeks if you had to.  It may feel like it on the first workout, but it's more mental than physical.

You have shown that you are both mentally and physically strong enough to conquer ALL!  Stay positive, concentrate on recovery, and LIVEStrong brother!

BTW, here is a great interview with THE MAN! 
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/tdf2009/columns/story?columnist=ford_bonnie_d&id=4357232
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's April 2009 Mentor TEAM - CLOSED (WE'RE BUSY WORKIN' IT!) Rss Feed  

of 28