BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-04 11:10 AM
in reply to: #2559403

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
Subject: RE: Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED

Hey mav - alright if I drop in from time to time? I notice you've got a Canuck in your group - should be a BT requirement that there is at least one per ...

Peter

2010-01-04 12:26 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Hey everybody. Marianne has hurt her back badly this morning! Not sure how bad yet......but she is in a ton of pain. Pop by her blog and give her some love OK?
2010-01-04 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2592715

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
aquagirl - 2010-01-04 1:26 PM Hey everybody. Marianne has hurt her back badly this morning! Not sure how bad yet......but she is in a ton of pain. Pop by her blog and give her some love OK?

Done!

2010-01-04 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2592474

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-01-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2591762

2010-01-04 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2591020

2010-01-04 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2593068

2010-01-04 3:27 PM
in reply to: #2593043

Champion
the colony texas
*****  ALERT ***   BIKE QUESTION COMING IN    5, 4,   3,,,

couple of quick questions,, I've noticed that my foot seems to get sore on the right foot just under the cleat lately,, Never had this problem before, then again I"ve haven't change my cleats in forever,, I have Shimano Ult, SPD, and all that nice little plastic is worn away,  could that be causing it,, maybe my cleats moved a little?  just seems odd,, could it be that I'm just that much out of bike shape and my feet forgot what it's like.  It usually starts around the 30 min mark.

also I was thinking about moving to a compact crank this year, when you do that, are you just changing the crank and bottom bracket, then adjusting the front dérailleur or do I need to change that also??
2010-01-04 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2593259

2010-01-04 4:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
Lunch hour workout for me today.  I would like to do the challenge - but I know I can't get that much biking in, but I do intend to hit 50 miles running this month.  I'm sidelined from swimming for a little while.  Who we kidding, I can't swim anyway, I just fake it.  I need longer lunches or I need to run faster.  I signed up for a half-marathon that is taking place 5/1.  I've never run more than 8 miles in my life.  I think 7.75 is closer to it.
2010-01-04 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2593390

Veteran
Lakeland, FL
Hope everything turns out ok Marianne!!  I've tweaked my back many times and in most cases its fine in a few days with some rest.  I meant to ask yesterday, but what part of Florida are you planning to visit?? 

2010-01-04 4:32 PM
in reply to: #2593312

Champion
the colony texas
Bopper - 2010-01-04 3:46 PM

Gaarryy - 2010-01-04 4:27 PM *****  ALERT ***   BIKE QUESTION COMING IN    5, 4,   3,,,

couple of quick questions,, I've noticed that my foot seems to get sore on the right foot just under the cleat lately,, Never had this problem before, then again I"ve haven't change my cleats in forever,, I have Shimano Ult, SPD, and all that nice little plastic is worn away,  could that be causing it,, maybe my cleats moved a little?  just seems odd,, could it be that I'm just that much out of bike shape and my feet forgot what it's like.  It usually starts around the 30 min mark.

also I was thinking about moving to a compact crank this year, when you do that, are you just changing the crank and bottom bracket, then adjusting the front dérailleur or do I need to change that also??

Thanks for the warning Gary...

Question 1: Numbness in the feet. There could be a number of answers for this. Yes the cleat could be worn out... but in that system, I don't think it's a big issue (if it was the mountain bike/spin cycle style cleat, it's more likely the cleat). It could be the location of the cleat... again hard to say with out having a look at the cleat itself. I am however, more inclined to say it's the shoe/insole. How many miles/years on the shoes? Cycling shoes are no different then running shoes. They do wear out in time (granted a lot longer time depending on how much you ride), and you have to take care that you don't get injuries because you're using old worn out shoes. (tendonitis occurs if the shoes are not as stiff as they could be... been there-done that). Take a look at the foot bed in the shoe... if it's looking worn, then it's time to replace that. Also, check the tension on the straps... having the shoe too tight will cause the foot to swell and then you'll get soreness at pressure points (namely the cleat locale).

Question 2: This is a technical question... and even tho' I am reasonably handy, I haven't done this particular repair. So, I'm winging it. If you want people that really know their stuff, ask this question in the Bike Forum. If you're changing to a compact crank, then yes, the derailleur will need to be adjusted.... but how much and to what extent I don't know. If you're going from a triple to a double cog on the front, you will need a whole new derailleur and shifter I think (I hope that's not your case). If you just want to add a compact chain cog to your existing system, then I don't see it would be a big deal. It would just be a matter of swapping out the cogs (most these days are easily swapped with a 5 allen bolts), you wouldn't have to change the BB or the cranks. Then adjust the derailleur as needed.

Again.. this is just my guess on how it's done. I've not looked into it.

so I have around 6,000 miles on those shoes,, is that a lot??   
2010-01-04 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2592715

Veteran
British Columbia

Done...any word yet?

Thanks for the advice Helen.  Yes, we moms are good at the guilt thing.

I'm in for the challenge, but would have to estimate my mileage on the bike/trainer.  Which brings me to a question I wanted to ask you guys...I am thinking about getting a new bike computer.  Do you guys have any suggestions? I use my trainer a lot in the fall and winter.  Are there ones that would be better suited for this?   

aquagirl - 2010-01-04 10:26 AM Hey everybody. Marianne has hurt her back badly this morning! Not sure how bad yet......but she is in a ton of pain. Pop by her blog and give her some love OK?

2010-01-04 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2591762

Veteran
British Columbia

Congratulations Chris!  Can't wait to see the pictures.

erlifeguard - 2010-01-03 11:21 PM Hey All, I'm in for the challenge. It will have to be time for me, at least for the bike portion. I'm checking out some local pools tomorrow. So I finally pulled the trigger. Found a great tri shop in Seattle!! Super staff, smart, friendly, and yeah and I ordered a Cervelo S1!!! I'm so psyched!! It won't be in till either the end of this month or sometime in Feb., I'll find out on Tuesday. Thanks to all who gave me advice on this purchase. I will post pictures when she arrives!! Have a super Monday all!!! Chris

2010-01-04 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2593464

Champion
the colony texas
kew - 2010-01-04 4:36 PM

Done...any word yet?

I'm in for the challenge, but would have to estimate my mileage on the bike/trainer.  Which brings me to a question I wanted to ask you guys...I am thinking about getting a new bike computer.  Do you guys have any suggestions? I use my trainer a lot in the fall and winter.  Are there ones that would be better suited for this?   

One where the magnet is on the rear wheel  I'd say,,, then you can guessetimate how close it is to when you are outside riding.

I'd play with all the features on the ones you are thinking about,  I used to think they were all the same until I got one that I couldn't choose which item to make as the large display,

2010-01-04 5:22 PM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
crimefighter2 - 2010-01-04 5:10 PM Lunch hour workout for me today.  I would like to do the challenge - but I know I can't get that much biking in, but I do intend to hit 50 miles running this month.  I'm sidelined from swimming for a little while.  Who we kidding, I can't swim anyway, I just fake it.  I need longer lunches or I need to run faster.  I signed up for a half-marathon that is taking place 5/1.  I've never run more than 8 miles in my life.  I think 7.75 is closer to it.

Great news on the half mary! Its the PERFECT distance i think..well.....not that I have done a full but you know what i mean. Just do not ramp up too quick....either in your total mileage or in the speed of your runs. Get to the start line ready to rock n roll!! Not injured.
Sorry........its the nurse in me........I just cannot help it.....just do not want you to get hurt.    

2010-01-04 5:24 PM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
kew - 2010-01-04 5:36 PM

Done...any word yet?

aquagirl - 2010-01-04 10:26 AM Hey everybody. Marianne has hurt her back badly this morning! Not sure how bad yet......but she is in a ton of pain. Pop by her blog and give her some love OK?

I do not know how she is....she was heading off to ER ......... 
2010-01-04 5:28 PM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
kew - 2010-01-04 5:36 PM

Done...any word yet?

I have a Cateye double wireless with only one sensor,,,,,,,which is on the rear wheel so its handy for the trainer. My computer has cadence on it, as I was insistent upon this when I purchased it. But when i switched it over to sexy girl I never even bothered to put the cadence magnet back. I find after a while you sort of just get to know what your optimal cadence is.
 I think that trainer speed and distance are misleading as well....it can depend on how much resistance you set the trainer at. But its kind of nice to have a rough idea......nice to keep track of everything for the logs! 
2010-01-04 5:30 PM

2010-01-04 5:35 PM
in reply to: #2593452

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Gaarryy - 2010-01-04 5:32 PM
Bopper - 2010-01-04 3:46 PM

Gaarryy - 2010-01-04 4:27 PM *****  ALERT ***   BIKE QUESTION COMING IN    5, 4,   3,,,

Thanks for the warning Gary...

Question 1: Numbness in the feet. There could be a number of answers for this. Yes the cleat could be worn out... but in that system, I don't think it's a big issue (if it was the mountain bike/spin cycle style cleat, it's more likely the cleat). It could be the location of the cleat... again hard to say with out having a look at the cleat itself. I am however, more inclined to say it's the shoe/insole. How many miles/years on the shoes? Cycling shoes are no different then running shoes. They do wear out in time (granted a lot longer time depending on how much you ride), and you have to take care that you don't get injuries because you're using old worn out shoes. (tendonitis occurs if the shoes are not as stiff as they could be... been there-done that). Take a look at the foot bed in the shoe... if it's looking worn, then it's time to replace that. Also, check the tension on the straps... having the shoe too tight will cause the foot to swell and then you'll get soreness at pressure points (namely the cleat locale).

Question 2: This is a technical question... and even tho' I am reasonably handy, I haven't done this particular repair. So, I'm winging it. If you want people that really know their stuff, ask this question in the Bike Forum. If you're changing to a compact crank, then yes, the derailleur will need to be adjusted.... but how much and to what extent I don't know. If you're going from a triple to a double cog on the front, you will need a whole new derailleur and shifter I think (I hope that's not your case). If you just want to add a compact chain cog to your existing system, then I don't see it would be a big deal. It would just be a matter of swapping out the cogs (most these days are easily swapped with a 5 allen bolts), you wouldn't have to change the BB or the cranks. Then adjust the derailleur as needed.

Again.. this is just my guess on how it's done. I've not looked into it.

so I have around 6,000 miles on those shoes,, is that a lot??   

Are your shoes carbon soled? I would think that would make a difference in how long they maintain their "stiffness" . But i shall defer to Kevin.........
When I got new shoes i ended up getting carbon soles. I tended to get numb feet as well. I have cycling orthotics with a metatarsal pad in them because my foot is so floppy that I have metatarsalgia (SP?). The new shoes are AWESOME! But it took literally trying about a dozen pairs before I found some that fit. Tri shoes were out of the question....they just did not fit my long skinny feet. So I have road shoes with a crank. Specialized S Works I think they are called.
Anyway.....all that just to say that now that I have shoes that fit PROPERLY  I do not get numbness anymore.
2010-01-04 5:37 PM
in reply to: #2593568

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Bopper - 2010-01-04 6:30 PM

crimefighter2 - 2010-01-04 5:10 PM Lunch hour workout for me today.  I would like to do the challenge - but I know I can't get that much biking in, but I do intend to hit 50 miles running this month.  I'm sidelined from swimming for a little while.  Who we kidding, I can't swim anyway, I just fake it.  I need longer lunches or I need to run faster.  I signed up for a half-marathon that is taking place 5/1.  I've never run more than 8 miles in my life.  I think 7.75 is closer to it.

Good luck with the Half Mary... I'd love to do another one some day, but I'm not sure my body likes that idea. I've done two (one stand alone, one in a HIM)... the stand alone went well, the HIM was horrible.

^^ as Helen said... train steady and build SLOWLY. For your first I would suggest not setting any time goals, just run it to finish. See how your body reacts to it, then go from there... just my $0.02 worth.

But my dear Kevin your $0.02 is so very valuable! Worth at least five loonies if you ask me!!    

2010-01-04 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2592474

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
FreddyBeachPete - 2010-01-04 12:10 PM

Hey mav - alright if I drop in from time to time? I notice you've got a Canuck in your group - should be a BT requirement that there is at least one per ...

Peter

Hey we have THREE Canucks here!! Myself, Kevin and Karen!  We are taking over.....resistance is futile.....you WILL be assimilated!
You are most welcome to pop by! 
2010-01-04 5:45 PM

2010-01-04 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2593452

2010-01-04 8:13 PM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
So our dear Marianne is all loaded up with some yummy drugs to relax her and relieve her pain. No verdict on what is actually wrong yet...........
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come and play with aquagirl and mav ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76