BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-04-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2806918

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
kickitinok - 2010-04-21 8:15 AM Norcal and Brick (and everyone else who gave suggestions):

Going to use the race belt, no cycling gloves, sunscreen prior to swim, Gu and hydrate while on the bike. Thanks for the suggestions. Will do. And I'm going to try and have FUN throughout the entire experience! I have to say it's kind of hard to imagine having fun since I'm already nervous as heck, but I will make a conscious effort to remember why I'm there, and that is indeed to have fun. Woohoo! 

Oh, and I've got dinner dates set with a couple of BTers. It's going to be a blast. Just being near the ocean, even if it is just the Gulf, is always fun for this landlocked girl.  Plan on taking lots of pics!

Leaving now for my trip down to Galveston. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

Wait until you cross the finish line and the euphoria hits.  Then you will know just how fun it is!

2010-04-21 10:40 AM
in reply to: #2806918

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
kickitinok - 2010-04-21 8:15 AM

Norcal and Brick (and everyone else who gave suggestions):

Going to use the race belt, no cycling gloves, sunscreen prior to swim, Gu and hydrate while on the bike. Thanks for the suggestions. Will do. And I'm going to try and have FUN throughout the entire experience! I have to say it's kind of hard to imagine having fun since I'm already nervous as heck, but I will make a conscious effort to remember why I'm there, and that is indeed to have fun. Woohoo! 

Oh, and I've got dinner dates set with a couple of BTers. It's going to be a blast. Just being near the ocean, even if it is just the Gulf, is always fun for this landlocked girl.  Plan on taking lots of pics!

Leaving now for my trip down to Galveston. Good luck to everyone racing this weekend!

have a blast-breathe, take the experience in. you put in the training time now have fun. being nervous is normal.
2010-04-21 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2806099

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
brick94513 - 2010-04-20 10:43 PM
dhopman - 2010-04-20 2:27 PM It looks like I'm a little late trying to join a group...but "closed for now" left a little room for negotiation I hope. =)

I'm Dave - 28 years old in California (Silicon Valley), did a couple triathlons in 2006 then took a break from the sport while getting my masters. Now I'm getting back into it, training for my first HIM. I come from a swimming/water polo background so I have some experience to offer to the group in that respect. I'm mostly looking for motivation and training ideas from the group.

If the group remains closed, I understand but if there's room to squeeze one more in, let me know! Thanks all.

Dave, welcome!  Where are you in "Silicaon Valley?"  I live in Brentwood and work in Santa Cruz.

What races are you planning on doing this year?  Which HIM?

Saaweeeet! Thanks for making room! Now I have 23 pages of posts to catch up on. =)
I live in Santa Clara, work in Sunnyvale. It's nice to see some Bay Area folks on here!

My race schedule for this year:
5/2 Wildflower Oly (I've done the long course swim and run as relays in the past - this will be my first solo Wildflower event, second oly tri)
6/6 Muddy Buddy
6/13 Tour de Cure (tentative)
7/18 Vineman 70.3 (first HIM ever)
10/3 Rock n' Roll SJ Half Marathon (tentative)
10/31 Silicon Valley Marathon (first marathon ever)
2010-04-21 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2806672

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-04-21 7:13 AM

Upgrades from P3

Even better aerodynamics - Integrated brake, ICS2, dropped downtube, new seatstays, and integrated water bottle/storage unit (see below).

Integrated Water Bottle- The bottom bracket area is designed to accept a Cervelo water bottle without disrupting the airflow at all. For the few UCI races for which this Cervélo solution is considered too fast, the standard Elite aero bottle fits neatly in the same space.

Feature-Benefit-Experience

The bike industry loves to talk about features (tube shapes, materials, etc). But a feature is useless without a benefit! Ask yourself, would you prefer a poorly engineered frame made of “Ultra High Modulus carbon” (a feature)? Or an intelligently engineered frame that uses the material to create something lighter, stiffer and stronger (real benefits)? Even more than benefits, you want experiences. The aforementioned lightness & stiffness may be benefits, but what you really want is the experience of higher performance, through quicker acceleration and better climbing.

This is why Cervelo lists not only features, but also the accompanying benefits and experiences.

To recap:

Product Feature: “Which innovative shape, material or design solution was used on this frame?”

Technical Benefit: “What is the advantage of this shape, material or solution?”

Rider Experience: “How does this feature & benefit change my riding experience?” This usually involves experiencing higher performance or more comfort. Some features also offer an esthetic experience, and although we would never sacrifice performance or comfort for beauty, sometimes you can have it all.

Ok, again, is that worth the wait to YOU though?  For me, either of those bikes would be an improvement so I'd go w/ the p3 sooner.  I'm an instant gratification gurrrrl as well. :D

2010-04-21 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2806919

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Some Guidance Please....
brick94513 - 2010-04-21 10:15 AM

I will use the monitor to make sure I limit my time in the anaerobic zones (5a, 5b, 5c).

Brick,

Can you expand on this?  I've said this before that I have trouble maxing out my hr on the bike and run waaaaay to high in the hr zones.  I'm actually training to change this.  If you looked at my garmin connect last night I went out doing sprints to try and spike my hr.  I planned on doing this once a week until I train my body to take the pain of getting to that max hr on a repeated basis and recovering.  I just want to make sure I'm doing this right and that there is actually a benefit of me focussing on this.

2010-04-21 1:07 PM
in reply to: #2806919

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Curt ... Looking to invest in some various equipment and would like some opinions on your favorites/what you use for the following:

Tri shorts OR Tri suit

I prefer a top and bottom, but comes down to personal preference.

Heart rate monitor

Garmin 305.

Wet suit (one piece or two + brand)

Definately one piece for me.  Most of my races are in 60 degree or less water, so I have a full suit.  Brand is a 2xU Velocity 3.  However, I considering buying a sleeveless one for when the water is just a little warmer.  I'll probably buy whatever I can get a good deal on.

Really intrigued by the HRM as I had one on for the first time this PM.  Interesting to see how the body responds to the speed / incline / intensity.  Personally, I need to figure out how to "get some more air" as I did not get tired or feel that my pulse was high (hit 168), I just could not feel like I was getting anything in to the lungs.

Training with HR is a valuable tool.  First, you need to establish your Lactate Threshold which then allows you to establish your HR Zones.  With the zones, you can run or cycle to a certain pace as determined by your HR.  As you become more fit, you will see your pace become faster with a lower corrsponding HR.  It's not about driving your HR up.  In fact, most of your running should be done in Zone 2, which is where slow-twitch (endurance) muscle development occurs.

When endurance racing, the HR monitor becomes valuable in a similar way.  I will use the monitor to make sure I limit my time in the anaerobic zones (5a, 5b, 5c).

That's a quick synopsis.  There is a lot of information out there.  This is an area that I am quite fond of though, so I hope I can answer any questions.

Thanks for the info on the questions.  I'll take you up on the more questions for the HRM.  Did find this interesting link that has a lot of info on the topic:

http://www.howtobefit.com/heart-rate-training-article.htm

2010-04-21 1:45 PM
in reply to: #2807058

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-04-21 10:50 AM Ok, again, is that worth the wait to YOU though?  For me, either of those bikes would be an improvement so I'd go w/ the p3 sooner.  I'm an instant gratification gurrrrl as well. :D

I hear ya.  What makes it hard is that I have a bike capable of doing everything I'm signed up for now.  That may change, but in the meantime I don't "need" a new bike at all.  It's still definitely an upgrade.  I'm more concerned with something "cooler" coming out next year.  Effectively, a few months after I get mine.  Plus, since this was a surprise, I really haven't done my research in that price range to start all over on the decision.  So I don't even know what I can get to substitute.
2010-04-21 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2807065

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-04-21 8:52 AM

I will use the monitor to make sure I limit my time in the anaerobic zones (5a, 5b, 5c).

Brick,

Can you expand on this?  I've said this before that I have trouble maxing out my hr on the bike and run waaaaay to high in the hr zones.  I'm actually training to change this.  If you looked at my garmin connect last night I went out doing sprints to try and spike my hr.  I planned on doing this once a week until I train my body to take the pain of getting to that max hr on a repeated basis and recovering.  I just want to make sure I'm doing this right and that there is actually a benefit of me focussing on this.

Lets look at this from another angle.  Compare a world class sprinter to a marathon runner.  The sprinter relys on fast-twitch muscle for short duratioin and will be anaeorbic for the entire race (above their lactate threshold).  Whereas, the marathon runner depends on slow-twitch muscle fibers for the long haul and will want to remain aerobic during the race.

Ignore max HR.  Max HR has no meaningful use for training.  The HR we care about is lactate threshold which is the HR at which your body switchs from aerobic metbolism to anaerobic metoblism.  So, when training for endurance sports, we want to focus on building slow-twitch muscle.  As such, we want to be training in the lower HR zones (II and III).  Also, by keeping aerobic, we reduce the time needed for recovery.

If you are riding for any duration, I would bet the farm you are already doing this.  Sprinting and hill work is fine, but remember these specialties call upon different muscle fibers.  Fast-twitch muscle provides that short burst of energy, but fatigues rapidly.

I hope thats a little clearer.  I'm at work today and don't have my reference material.
2010-04-21 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
This isn't the best explanation, but maybe it will help:

http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Determining_Aerobic_Threshold.pdf

Also, remember your LT threshold and  HR zones will differ from running, cycling, and swimming.  This is due to the amount of muscle group engagement, gravity, and positioning.
2010-04-21 2:51 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

tim, didnt you say you got some MTB wheels from wheelbuilder.com somewhere about 10 pages ago?  i was looking at getting a custom disc cover from them.  saw another BT bike w/ the same wheels and the guy said they did a bang up job on his.  i have steel mavic aksium wheels and i dont plan on buying 'race' wheels anytime soon.  worth the $100 in your opinion?

2010-04-21 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2807867

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-04-21 2:26 PM
Meulen - 2010-04-21 8:52 AM

Brick,

Lets look at this from another angle.  Compare a world class sprinter to a marathon runner.  The sprinter relys on fast-twitch muscle for short duratioin and will be anaeorbic for the entire race (above their lactate threshold).  Whereas, the marathon runner depends on slow-twitch muscle fibers for the long haul and will want to remain aerobic during the race.

Ignore max HR.  Max HR has no meaningful use for training.  The HR we care about is lactate threshold which is the HR at which your body switchs from aerobic metbolism to anaerobic metoblism.  So, when training for endurance sports, we want to focus on building slow-twitch muscle.  As such, we want to be training in the lower HR zones (II and III).  Also, by keeping aerobic, we reduce the time needed for recovery.

If you are riding for any duration, I would bet the farm you are already doing this.  Sprinting and hill work is fine, but remember these specialties call upon different muscle fibers.  Fast-twitch muscle provides that short burst of energy, but fatigues rapidly.

I hope thats a little clearer.  I'm at work today and don't have my reference material.

1.  I thought that the reason we add speed work in our training is that it actually improves our lactate threshold.  Maybe it doesn't need to go quite to max HR.  However, elite athletes seem to have an uncanny ability to sprint to max hr and recover quickly.  I have been told that they train this by doing hills and sprints.  I got to train with Robbie Ventura this winter.  He told me that, while most triathletes don't, he thought speed work and hills (strength training on the bike) once a week is highly beneficially to overall speed.

2.  You and I also race MTB's which I believe training above your lactate threashold is highly beneficial for tackling hill climbs and overtaking opponents trying to drop you.

Is you're opinion that I shouldn't be worrying about training this as much as I am?

I don't mean to confrontational, I honestly hear varying opinions on this.  I guess I get hung up on it because I have a friend that I train with that is an elite MTB'er and he's constantly on my case.  I get called all sorts of names because I seem to fatigue 30bpm before I get to my max hr.  LOL

2010-04-21 2:53 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
I get called all sorts of names because I seem to fatigue 30bpm before I get to my max hr.  LOL

-
thats kind of the whole point of fatigue.  so your heart doesnt pop.  thats your brains way of keeping your body safe.
2010-04-21 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Okay I gave up on reading through all the previous discussion on the 6th page. =(

What's in the training plan for everyone today? I'm taking the night off to rest my knee (I have patellofemoral maltracking) and cook dinner for my gf. Tomorrow I'm hitting the pool and doing a short run if my knee holds up.
2010-04-21 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2808004

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-04-21 2:53 PM I get called all sorts of names because I seem to fatigue 30bpm before I get to my max hr.  LOL

-
thats kind of the whole point of fatigue.  so your heart doesnt pop.  thats your brains way of keeping your body safe.

I agree, but some people believe that point of fatigue should be hit at your max hr and not 30bpm before.  If that's not the case they believe you are sand bagging or just can't deal with the pain of it.
2010-04-21 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2808033

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
that's a good point.  what IS the 'point of fatigue'?  where does it start?  if, let's say my max heart rate is 185, how in gods name could fatigue START at that HR?  and completely UNscientific here, but who gives a if someone else thinks youre sandbagging.  YOU know your body better than anyone, listen to IT, not them.
2010-04-21 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2808033

User image

Regular
Meulen - 2010-04-21 3:00 PM
shmeeg - 2010-04-21 2:53 PM I get called all sorts of names because I seem to fatigue 30bpm before I get to my max hr.  LOL

-

I agree, but some people believe that point of fatigue should be hit at your max hr and not 30bpm before.  If that's not the case they believe you are sand bagging or just can't deal with the pain of it.

Get you a shirt with this on it and wear it next time you meet your buddy for a run LOL!!

Just for the record I blow up and Vomit at Max HR so call me a sandbagger :-)

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-21 3:15 PM

2010-04-21 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2808079

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-04-21 3:12 PM that's a good point.  what IS the 'point of fatigue'?  where does it start?  if, let's say my max heart rate is 185, how in gods name could fatigue START at that HR?  and completely UNscientific here, but who gives a if someone else thinks youre sandbagging.  YOU know your body better than anyone, listen to IT, not them.

I only care because if they are correct I have more effort that I can produce that my mind is talking me out of.  I don't care if that's all I have, but if it's not, I want to find the rest of it.  They don't think I'm in the sandbagger camp.  They put me more in the wousse camp. LOLLaughing

Edited by Meulen 2010-04-21 3:20 PM
2010-04-21 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Do you keep up with them on your rides? Or do they run off and leave you?
2010-04-21 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2808127

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-21 3:23 PM Do you keep up with them on your rides? Or do they run off and leave you?

These guys are darn near pro riders.  They leave me and wait for me to catch up after a while. 
2010-04-21 3:39 PM

User image

Regular
Then your comparing Apple's to oranges.... They are beating you because ther overall conditioning is better than yours not because they spike there HR higher than you do. 

For example... If we take 2 top Pro Ironman winners.  Chrissie Wellington & Natascha Badmann.  Do you think the only reason that Wellington can Beat Badmann and all the other women is because she can push her HR higher??  Same With Lance Armstrong... It is actually quite the oppsite.   They can sustain a higher level of out put for a longer period of time at a lowr HR than you can to produce the same output.   So fact is your probably working just as hard or may be even harder than they are...

Edited by SAWFISH50 2010-04-21 3:52 PM
2010-04-21 3:41 PM

User image

Regular

Mark Allen explaines it well check this out.

http://www.duathlon.com/articles/1460

2010-04-21 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2808186

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
SAWFISH50 - 2010-04-21 3:39 PM Then your comparing Apple's to oranges.... They are beating you because ther overall conditioning is better than yours not because they spike there HR higher than you do. 

For example... If we take 2 top Pro Ironman winners.  Chrisy Wellington & Sonja Botman.  Do you think the only reason that Wellington can Beat Botman and all the other women is because she can push her HR higher??  Same With Lance Armstrong... It is actually quite the oppsite.   They can sustain a higher level of out put for a longer period of time at a lowr HR than you can to produce the same output.   So fact is your probably working just as hard or may be even harder than they are...

I think we are misunderstanding each other.  It's not about them being able to beat me.  I expect that.  I'm relatively new to this, and most of them have been racing MTB's for 10+ years.  I don't expect to beat them.  They are nice enough to push me while I'm with them so I get better.  I'm concerned I'm mentally giving up before I physically am out of gas and basically cheating myself on my workouts.  I'm concerned that is the case because:

1.  I have pushed to with 14 bpm of my max hr on the bike once before so I know I can get there
2.  Most people's max hr are about 10 bpm lower on the bike from the run and so far this year I've tried several times to push to that level only to get to 178 ( a couple times, my max is 201), but mostly I have trouble getting above 170
3.  I may be cheating myself in my workouts by not working to full potential if I'm mentally giving up.
4.  I may be setting a bad precident for myself, and consequently, may mentally give up in a race when it's down to the line
2010-04-21 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
I just got back from the pool  I did my first ever 1000yd TT today!  My arms feel like jello, and my calves were starting to cramp in the last 100 yards...  Anyway, I finished in 17:58 (comes out to 1:48/100), which is way faster than I was expecting.  It's all working!  Only breathed on the left during the test, but I did breathe bilaterally during the warm up and cool down.  Still not so good at that...

I'm not exactly sure what I do with this new information other than try to beat it in a month or so, but it was fun. Tongue out
2010-04-21 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2808328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-21 4:09 PM I just got back from the pool  I did my first ever 1000yd TT today!  My arms feel like jello, and my calves were starting to cramp in the last 100 yards...  Anyway, I finished in 17:58 (comes out to 1:48/100), which is way faster than I was expecting.  It's all working!  Only breathed on the left during the test, but I did breathe bilaterally during the warm up and cool down.  Still not so good at that...

I'm not exactly sure what I do with this new information other than try to beat it in a month or so, but it was fun. Tongue out

Nice work!! I come from a swimming background and only breathe to my right despite many coaches' best efforts to teach me the finer ways of bilateral breathing. I've done two 2000m TT since getting back into swimming (took ~3 years off for my MBA) and just keep a log to measure progress. My first was 35 min. and the second was just under 33 min a month later. My goal is to go sub-30 eventually. I struggle most with pacing since I was always a sprinter, doing the long stuff at a steady pace takes some work for me.
2010-04-21 4:58 PM
in reply to: #2808328

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
norcal_SAHD - 2010-04-21 2:09 PM I just got back from the pool  I did my first ever 1000yd TT today!  My arms feel like jello, and my calves were starting to cramp in the last 100 yards...  Anyway, I finished in 17:58 (comes out to 1:48/100), which is way faster than I was expecting.  It's all working!  Only breathed on the left during the test, but I did breathe bilaterally during the warm up and cool down.  Still not so good at that...

David...or Dave, which do you prefer?

anywho, nice work!  i WISH i could swim even 1/2 that far w/o stopping.  keep it up! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108