BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-07-15 11:38 AM
in reply to: #2978864

User image

Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hi all,
Looks like we are getting more and more official triathletes in our group each week which is great. I have been bad about posting updates, but I have my first sprint this weekend. I am actually lucky enough to be doing the race with Colin as we live in the same area.  I feel pretty ready and I'm getting excited. Hopefully I'll have a good race report to share next week.
Chad

2010-07-15 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2978997

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Tim,

Sorry about the delay, but this week should look very similar to last week.  Assuming you felt fresh during last week's race, I would just repeat or do something very similar to what I had you do last week.

I think you're going to be ready for your HIM, but you're really going to have to buckle down and start doing some more long rides and runs.  If you're going to do anymore races before the HIM, you going to have to stop tapering for them and just consider them training sessions.
2010-07-16 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2981895

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
GA Tri(er) - 2010-07-14 10:32 PM Hello Everyone,
First of all, congratulations on your USAT certification, Colin!  That is great news!  And, congratulation to Mark on becoming a triathlete plus everyone else whose been competing and doing well.  Everytime I read these posts, I get more and more motivated.  Well, I've been out of the pocket for the past 2 1/2 weeks with vacation and work, but I started back this a.m. with a bike ride at the gym, and I'm looking forward to getting back into the groove again.  My first tri is Oct 3rd, so I still have plenty of time.  However, I would like to see more improvement in my swim (I guess that's normal though) since I don't seem to be increasing my distance.  I still feel like my breathing is my biggest hurdle . . . if only I had gills. 
Hope everybody has a great rest of the week!
--Russ

Hi Russ,

Always great to hear from you.  You still do have plenty of time before your race, but I can't even begin to explain how much better the event will go if you focus on your training now as opposed to waiting until close to the race.  It takes a good deal of time to really develop your fitness level.

Lol, well if you want to develop gills, I recommending a lot of time in the water.  Over time they will come.  However, if they don't, you can spend some time focusing on getting your breathing down.  Smile  Just stick with it and it should start getting more comfortable.  Just remember to relax.
2010-07-16 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2982022

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-07-15 12:58 AM Russ, lucky you for living in a region where you can have an October triathlon. Smile Keep at it!

Colin, when you give the suggested numbers for the swim sessions, does that include warm-up and cool-down?  For example, if you say a 2500m day, does the 2500 include wu/cd, or is that strictly the main set?  Generally I do a 400m warm up and 200m cool down, and am not sure whether or not this should "count" when I'm thinking about trying to make a certain distance per workout.

Also, I have signed up for the 5K open water swim.  I went ahead with it more or less because I don't know if I'll really be up for it in the following years, so I want to do it now while I feel I can do it! I don't plan on "racing" it, this is just something I would like to do for fun.  I think I can manage the distance, and I don't think it will put a hamper on my training for the HIM.  The plan is to basically follow the HIM swim schedule and include a weekly long swim, gradually increasing the distance each week... this long swim will be more of a mental benefit than anything.  I did a 2 mile pool swim a couple days ago, and plan on increasing by 400m or so each week.

Hey Samantha,

Yes, those distances do include the warm up and cool down.  However, I typically have the swimmers in my class do a 300 WU and a 300 CD, but that does depend on the workout.

Congrats on signing up for the 5K swim.  So you're swimming 3 times per week right now with your HIM training plan right?  You really may want to consider increasing that to 4 times per week.  That's awesome that your did a 2 mile pool swim and I like the idea of building up gradually.  However, I would recommend doing that long swim in the open water.  It will be much different doing that distance in the open water.  When is the race?
2010-07-16 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2984626

User image

Expert
MI
I'm aiming for swimming 4x a week now.  The plan does give 3 swims, plus 1 "optional" swim intended for adding base distance, which is what I'll be using for the long swims.  The race is August 22, 3 weeks before the HIM.  I'll try to get out for OWS.  This is just an excuse really, but the lake I'd go to is 15-20 minutes away, so it just seems much easier to go to the gym/pool which is half a mile away. Tongue out

Also, as far as nutrition during the HIM, is there a standard "formula" or something you recommend as to how many calories should be taken on the bike/run?  I'll start to experiment, but was wondering if there was a base number that I could start with so I have an idea.  I feel like I've often heard something like 300-500 calories per hour, but I would imagine weight would have something to do with it?
2010-07-16 1:09 PM
in reply to: #2985448

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-07-16 12:47 PM I'm aiming for swimming 4x a week now.  The plan does give 3 swims, plus 1 "optional" swim intended for adding base distance, which is what I'll be using for the long swims.  The race is August 22, 3 weeks before the HIM.  I'll try to get out for OWS.  This is just an excuse really, but the lake I'd go to is 15-20 minutes away, so it just seems much easier to go to the gym/pool which is half a mile away. Tongue out

Also, as far as nutrition during the HIM, is there a standard "formula" or something you recommend as to how many calories should be taken on the bike/run?  I'll start to experiment, but was wondering if there was a base number that I could start with so I have an idea.  I feel like I've often heard something like 300-500 calories per hour, but I would imagine weight would have something to do with it?

Hey Samantha,

Sounds great on the swimming.  I totally understand about the convenience of the pool.  As long as you're swimming, great.  However, the open water would be more beneficial for you.

As for the nutrition, there are too many factors for me to even begin to explain this.  The obvious variables are your height and weight.  A small girl like you and a 6'5 200lbs guy like me aren't going to be able to follow the same nutrition plan.  However, your HR/effort level during the race, and the course are very important.  There is also a point called the "crossover" point where your body switches from using fat to carbohydrates.  You need to have a test at a lab done to find this point (typically about $150), but that is very important as well.  When you are going relatively easy and/or have a low HR, you're mostly using stored fat cells as energy.  However, if you're pushing hard and your HR is high, you will be using mostly carbs as your energy source.

On top of this, many people have different philosophies on this topic.  Some people will tell you to take in basically as much nutrition as your body will allow you to.  However, the new philosophy that I'm a big fan off is taking in as little as possible.  But in order to function properly with this method, you have to train your body to do this.  I'm working on incorporating this method right now.

With your event this close, I would recommend just doing what works best during your longer training sessions.  Try tweaking your nutrition a little and see if you notice a difference.  With that said, you should be taking in at least 24 ounces of fluids per hour and at least 1 gel, however, it will probably be more than that.

Sorry for the broad answer, but I think that's the best I can do at this point.

2010-07-16 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Veteran
So I did my first open water swim today and I learned a few things. 

First, Lake Michigan is COLD!!!  I had on a short-legged and -sleeved wetsuit and I was still really cold for the first 10 minutes or so.  I warmed up after a while (or maybe just got so numb I couldn't feel anything anymore) but it was pretty uncomfortable at the start.  Supposedly the lake will warm up as the summer goes by.

Second, and more importantly, it made me really dizzy.  Motion sickness, almost.  I was fine as long as I was actually swimming, but the instant I stopped, I felt horrible.  I've never felt this before, and I've been in open water a million times.  Does anyone have any ideas why this might have happened and how I can make it never happen again?

Third, my ears hurt.  I think this is because I managed to forget my swim cap and water got into them more easily, but I'm not sure.

Sarah
2010-07-16 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2985688

User image

Expert
MI
Colin, thanks.  That's informative!
2010-07-18 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2986179

User image

Expert
MI
I had a mini-accomplishment for today!  During my swim workout I saw my fastest 50m (0:52) and 100m (1:51) times, and I was very excited about this!
2010-07-18 6:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Sorry for the delay they had timing chip problemsFrown Took the info off my Garmin from the race..
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=217931

Tim

Will post my sprint results from today shortly...
2010-07-18 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2988393

User image

Hi all, its official, I am a triathlete!  I did the Appleman sprint today with Colin and came in 72 out of 472 and 8 out of 15 in my age group (20-29).  Overall the race went pretty well being my first.  Transitions were good (though I didnt get my times due to technical issues) and the bike+run were good.  I definitely need to work on my swim though, I struggled mightily with a half mile.  The report is here....http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=157559
if the link doesnt work someone let me know. Feels great to have one done.  Number 2 in two weeks!
Chad

2010-07-18 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2988512

User image

Expert
MI
Great job!  Too bad you didn't get your transition times, that would have been nice to know.

The link didn't work though.  (looks like you took the link from when you were editing, here it is for others: http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid... ...)

So, how did Colin do?
2010-07-19 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2988567

User image

Thanks for updating that link.  I am hoping my transition times will get posted eventually as it seems like all other races supported by Firm Racing show those times. 
Colin of course tore it up. I won't steal his thunder because I'm sure he'll post a report soon enough. 
2010-07-19 12:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
cquin534 - 2010-07-18 8:39 PM Hi all, its official, I am a triathlete!  I did the Appleman sprint today with Colin and came in 72 out of 472 and 8 out of 15 in my age group (20-29).  Overall the race went pretty well being my first.  Transitions were good (though I didnt get my times due to technical issues) and the bike+run were good.  I definitely need to work on my swim though, I struggled mightily with a half mile.  The report is here....http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=157559
if the link doesnt work someone let me know. Feels great to have one done.  Number 2 in two weeks!
Chad

Congrats Chad
Sounds like you had a great time,good luck in two weeks you triathlete!!

Tim
2010-07-19 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hello everyone hope your weekend was good.. below is the race report for the sprint I did on Sunday.. All comments and help welcomed..
Tim
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=218148
2010-07-19 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2985774

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
sbright - 2010-07-16 2:41 PM So I did my first open water swim today and I learned a few things. 

First, Lake Michigan is COLD!!!  I had on a short-legged and -sleeved wetsuit and I was still really cold for the first 10 minutes or so.  I warmed up after a while (or maybe just got so numb I couldn't feel anything anymore) but it was pretty uncomfortable at the start.  Supposedly the lake will warm up as the summer goes by.

Second, and more importantly, it made me really dizzy.  Motion sickness, almost.  I was fine as long as I was actually swimming, but the instant I stopped, I felt horrible.  I've never felt this before, and I've been in open water a million times.  Does anyone have any ideas why this might have happened and how I can make it never happen again?

Third, my ears hurt.  I think this is because I managed to forget my swim cap and water got into them more easily, but I'm not sure.

Sarah

Hey Sarah,

Very sorry to hear about the swim.  Do you know what the temp of the water was?  It sounds you definitely need to get into a full body wetsuit.  From the sounds of it, booties, a neoprene cap, and maybe even gloves as well.  Those are not good symptoms you are describing so please be very careful!  However, I think these items will fix the issues.

2010-07-19 5:33 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
cquin534 - 2010-07-18 8:39 PM Hi all, its official, I am a triathlete!  I did the Appleman sprint today with Colin and came in 72 out of 472 and 8 out of 15 in my age group (20-29).  Overall the race went pretty well being my first.  Transitions were good (though I didnt get my times due to technical issues) and the bike+run were good.  I definitely need to work on my swim though, I struggled mightily with a half mile.  The report is here....http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/races-edit.asp?raceid=157559
Chad

Congratulations to Chad on becoming a triathlete!  He's been working really hard and it showed on race day!  He did awesome!  Chad, I made some comments on your race report so check them out when you have a chance.

Way to go buddy!
2010-07-19 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2990065

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-07-19 1:30 PM Hello everyone hope your weekend was good.. below is the race report for the sprint I did on Sunday.. All comments and help welcomed..
Tim
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=218148

Awesome job Tim!  I just made some comments on your race report, but another job well done!  Keep it up!
2010-07-19 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

Yesterday's race went great for me!  I ended up 3rd in my age group, 8th overall.  I also shaved over 3.5 minutes off my time from last year which I'm really happy about.  Here is a link to my race report.

Sorry I haven't been responding quite as quickly as normal.  I have been very busy at work and I'm actually in Austin, TX right now for a show.  My hotel is right on Lady Bird Lake, which is incredible!  They have an amazing path all around it and I went for a great run this morning and will be taking advantage of every day!

I hope everyone is doing well and getting their training in!
2010-07-19 8:58 PM

Woodstock
Chad

Hey Chad,
Congratulations, Mr. Triathlete!  That is awesome and even better that you've got another one in a couple of weeks.  Can't wait to read the race report (which I'll do in a minute or so).
Have a great day,
Russ
2010-07-19 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2990997

Woodstock
hockeyhands - 2010-07-19 6:38 PM Hi Everyone,

Yesterday's race went great for me!  I ended up 3rd in my age group, 8th overall.  I also shaved over 3.5 minutes off my time from last year which I'm really happy about.  Here is a link to my race report.

Sorry I haven't been responding quite as quickly as normal.  I have been very busy at work and I'm actually in Austin, TX right now for a show.  My hotel is right on Lady Bird Lake, which is incredible!  They have an amazing path all around it and I went for a great run this morning and will be taking advantage of every day!

I hope everyone is doing well and getting their training in!

And . . . congratulations to you, too, Colin on having another great race!  3 1/2 minutes faster than last year is amazing.  Enjoy Austin, TX!  Have a great day, too.  --Russ

2010-07-19 9:08 PM
in reply to: #2984612

Woodstock
hockeyhands - 2010-07-16 8:48 AM
GA Tri(er) - 2010-07-14 10:32 PM Hello Everyone,
First of all, congratulations on your USAT certification, Colin!  That is great news!  And, congratulation to Mark on becoming a triathlete plus everyone else whose been competing and doing well.  Everytime I read these posts, I get more and more motivated.  Well, I've been out of the pocket for the past 2 1/2 weeks with vacation and work, but I started back this a.m. with a bike ride at the gym, and I'm looking forward to getting back into the groove again.  My first tri is Oct 3rd, so I still have plenty of time.  However, I would like to see more improvement in my swim (I guess that's normal though) since I don't seem to be increasing my distance.  I still feel like my breathing is my biggest hurdle . . . if only I had gills. 
Hope everybody has a great rest of the week!
--Russ

Hi Russ,

Always great to hear from you.  You still do have plenty of time before your race, but I can't even begin to explain how much better the event will go if you focus on your training now as opposed to waiting until close to the race.  It takes a good deal of time to really develop your fitness level.

Lol, well if you want to develop gills, I recommending a lot of time in the water.  Over time they will come.  However, if they don't, you can spend some time focusing on getting your breathing down.  Smile  Just stick with it and it should start getting more comfortable.  Just remember to relax.

I definitely intend to focus now on my training; I hated missing training the past couple of weeks, but I'm still learning to fit it in around vacation and O.T. at work (due to vacation).  I'll get the hang of it.  Plus, I don't have any more vacations planned until after the event.

As far as swimming goes, I think I'm going to start going 4x per week v. 3x per week to get as much water time in as possible since you promised I would develop gills (Don't deny it because everyone hear saw it with their own eyes)!  Laughing
Thanks for everything!
Russ
2010-07-19 9:57 PM
in reply to: #2991353

User image

Expert
MI
Hey Colin, after today's swim workout I feel like I can finally say that I am seeing improvement in my swim and that all my pool time is paying off!  Now if only this could translate to OWS even just a little.   Today's workout was 4x200m on 20s rest, and my plan was to go at an effort that I thought may be good for race day (so not all out) and I was imagining/hoping I'd manage at least 4:30s.  Instead my times were between 4:00-4:08.  This was a real surprise to me and I had to do a double take at my watch a few times.  I was actually starting to wonder if all my pool time was actually doing anything for my swim fitness, so this was really encouraging.

For my previous tri's I wasn't really too concerned with sighting and going off course, but for my Wednesday tri I will try to stay tight to the inside and on course and hope to see an improvement in my swim split!  (cross fingers!)
2010-07-20 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2991353

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
GA Tri(er) - 2010-07-19

I definitely intend to focus now on my training; I hated missing training the past couple of weeks, but I'm still learning to fit it in around vacation and O.T. at work (due to vacation).  I'll get the hang of it.  Plus, I don't have any more vacations planned until after the event.

As far as swimming goes, I think I'm going to start going 4x per week v. 3x per week to get as much water time in as possible since you promised I would develop gills (Don't deny it because everyone hear saw it with their own eyes)!  Laughing
Thanks for everything!
Russ

LOL, Yup, I did say that and I'm sticking to it.  If you spend enough time in the pool, it will happen.  How much time that will actually take is TBD Smile

In all seriousness, I think it would be a great idea to hit the pool 4 times a week if possible.  Sometimes is takes take people a good amount of time in the pool until it finally just clicks.  Kind of like what Samantha said in her last post.  As for the fitting everything in your schedule, its tough and takes some getting used to.  Nonetheless, if you have the desire to make it happen, it will.

Good luck with everything Russ!
2010-07-20 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2991459

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-07-19 10:57 PM Hey Colin, after today's swim workout I feel like I can finally say that I am seeing improvement in my swim and that all my pool time is paying off!  Now if only this could translate to OWS even just a little.   Today's workout was 4x200m on 20s rest, and my plan was to go at an effort that I thought may be good for race day (so not all out) and I was imagining/hoping I'd manage at least 4:30s.  Instead my times were between 4:00-4:08.  This was a real surprise to me and I had to do a double take at my watch a few times.  I was actually starting to wonder if all my pool time was actually doing anything for my swim fitness, so this was really encouraging.

For my previous tri's I wasn't really too concerned with sighting and going off course, but for my Wednesday tri I will try to stay tight to the inside and on course and hope to see an improvement in my swim split!  (cross fingers!)

Congratulations on the milestone!  Isn't awesome when things just click!  That is great news and if you stick with it, I bet you have quite a few more of these moments.  Keep up the great work!  As you can see, its paying off!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24