BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2011-01-24 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3256691

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED
I have that video (got it free with my Cycle-ops trainer) I agree it is boring. PM your address and I will send you the Spinnerval video. (unopened, brand new and free) It is not an easy one and should be done only once every 6 weeks but it will give you and idea what the other ones are like.

It must be testing week in Slayer-town. I did my 20' TT on the bike this morning. FTP 297. Harvery gets the Nostradamus award since he guessed 300. I also will need to adjust my heart rate zones.

The bike interval training has really been working for me. I spent a lot of time with mindless spinning without big improvements. I started the year pushing 220 watts which I thought would be adequate. 300 watts will be much nicer as I start this year. I am scheduled for run testing either later this week or early next week.

Keep it up everyone.

Edited by pschriver 2011-01-24 8:29 AM

2011-01-24 8:38 AM

User image

Elite
SE
slokat and peter: great job on the TT's! peter, that is massive improvement! Well done. Master clydes better look out. They/we are on notice! Building your run is only going to smash them/us even more.

My 1000TT (8:40+8:51 = 17:31) came down :29! I was pretty pleased that I don't suck as much as I did before. Next up, Wednesday's V02 max bike test. 5 minutes of holy hell!

2011-01-24 10:24 AM

Extreme Veteran
wow....
impressive times all around! way to go!!

spinning & master's swimming coming up for me

so.... as far as swimming goes...
before i joined the master's program in January, i used to sort of do my own thing & then swim my target (A race- 1.5k) distance to keep track of time
(which i've since lost track of) Embarassed

BUT!
my question is this: how often do you think it's worth while to do a timed swim like that to keep track of your progress??

even though i'm swimming 2 X a week with the group, i'm tempted to go out once on my own (possibly once a month?) just to see how i fare....
2011-01-24 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
This group is badazz!  Nice job on the testing, Slayer!

I took a rest day yesterday, which I think I needed.  Got lots of chores done and finished a huge chunk of a manuscript I've been procrastinating on and needed desperately to do.  I consider it a success.  Back on the horse this afternoon for a run with the dogs.  Here's the plan for the week:

Monday: 6 mile run
Tuesday: swim 2500 yards, run 1 hour
Wednesday: run 1 hour
Thursday: swim 2500 yards, run 1 hour, bike 1 hour
Friday: swim 2500 yards, brick: 45 min bike 15 min run
Saturday: long ride or long run
Sunday: long ride or long run 

Let's get em this week! 
2011-01-24 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3317975

User image

Elite
SE
I think it helps to have a baseline to use to gauge improvement, if thats what you are after. Some folks aren't bothered. It kind of depends on what your goals are.

I pay Shanks to help me get faster so he requires these tests be done periodically. He bases workouts on a T-pace that he derives from this test. Mine is now 1:45.

If it was down to me, I am not sure I would even bother. I hate swimming uptempo so much. I am fine to just log junk yards. Then its quite therapeutic....
2011-01-24 11:17 AM

Extreme Veteran
hmm.... call be obsessive, but it's the sort of thing i'm curious to incorporate into my workout every now & again, just so i can keep an eye on how i'm progressing swimming with this tri-focussed master's group vs. the swimmer's master's group i was with before....

i guess worse things could linger on my mind on a Monday though, eh??

i'll admit: not really looking forward to tonight's spin class just yet...
but i AM looking forward to the swim

(& i'm REALLY looking forward to the guinness i'll have with my running group after tomorrow night's run) Innocent

2011-01-24 11:56 AM
in reply to: #3317393

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
emholli - 2011-01-24 6:49 AM Hi all,

Sorry I have MIA ... it was the work thing again. Damn work ... always getting in the way!! If it wasn't for the money thing ...

Last week was pretty sh*t ... I managed a swim and that's about it. I was pretty peeved with myself for being so slack and not getting off my butt, but then I just put it behind me (I can't change it) and have moved on. I've promised myself I'll do better this week.

I already have.

I've been catching up on the thread and, oh my, the depth of info on here has my head spinning. I feel way out of my league ... For what it's worth, I have some compression calf-guards and I love them. I wear CompressSport and I wear them after a run or a bike. Usually to bed. I don't know if it's all in my head (probably is) but they work for me!

I also have a pair of 2XU compression shorts, but I am less sold on them. Can take them or leave them. When I went into the store to buy them I spoke to the chick there (whom I know) and told her what I wanted ... the conversation went like this:

Me: I want to buy some compression shorts. I'll give them a go.
Her: Okay, what brand do you like.
Me: Er, I don't know, what do you recommend?
Her: Well, what do you wear now?
Me: I don't. I don't own any.
Her: You don't have ANY compression gear at all? (looks incredulous!)
Me: Er (feeling silly), no, I don't.
Her: What do you do to recover?
Me: Eat food and drink water. You know, like in the olden days?

She looked at me then and realised what I silly conversation it was and we both burst out laughing!

Hope everyone is well and happy. Have a good week.

Em

Ha!  Love the conversation about the compression gear. 

Are you sure your 2XU shorts are not just tri shorts?  I wear 2XU tri shorts and really like them.

I have compression tights and sleeves.  The tights are a PITA to put on and they fall down all the time.  Not sure they really help me recover, but feel really good squeezing it all in when you're sore.  The calf sleeves - same thing.  Feel good and can wear them in public in the summer with shorts or whatever and you look like one of the "cool kids".

As for wearing the socks or sleeves running as I see lots of peeps do - not for me.  Too constricting to exercise in.

Edited by Lisa B 2011-01-24 11:58 AM
2011-01-24 11:57 AM
in reply to: #3317127

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
nicruns - 2011-01-23 10:14 PM & last week was decent for workouts:
swim: 2 for 2 complete
bike: 2 for 2 complete
run: 3 for 3 complete
yoga/pilates: 0 for 1 (oops!)

but this weekend was an epic fail.
i got scared by the windchill & bailed on this morning's run...
so far, i'm behind. but i'm hoping i'll be able to sneak a run in at some point to make up for it!

& in random and experimental news.... i picked up a $2 bike light set at the dollar store
hopefully that will enable me to (legally) bike to & from work a few times as soon as the snow melts and i get up the nerve to see that one through!!

Good for you trying out the bike commuting!  What will you do about clothes and a shower?
2011-01-24 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Roswell, GA

Last week:
Monday - masters swim
Tuesday - bike and as an added bonus an hour of swim lessons
Wednesday - masters swim and run
Thursday - bike
Friday - masters swim and run - missed the run and ended up swimming with a friend after work
Saturday - 2:10 min bike  Did this Sunday but cut it a few minutes short
Sunday - 1:15 run on an out and back course negative split the return Did this Saturday

This week:
Monday - master's swim
Tuesday - bike and run
Wednesday - master's swim
Thursday - bike and run
Friday - master's swim
Saturday - bike
Sunday - run

Gonna do my best not to miss anything this week and hope life or laziness does not interfere.

As for the discussion on testing - I hate it but it's a necessary evil.  My coach only makes me do it for the bike and run thank gawd!  I find the bike one, especially when done on the trainer - the most painful thing in the world - there is no watching TV during this as you couldn't comprehend a minute of what happens.  I listen to music and turn it up loud enough for to drown out my breathing.  The run test - never do it on the treadmill!

2011-01-24 12:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
i haven't made the commute yet!
(& i likely won't until... April or May-- or whenever we get rid of all of this darned SNOW on the ground!!!)

but i'm lucky.
we have shower facilities in the office
(& i swiped a locker back when i started in this place & stocked it FULL of stuff to change into & out of when i get motived and run to and from work...)

now... i just need to figure out a path that will enable me to miss the worst of the traffic & drivers here in toronto....
(& where to store my bike-- in case i take my road bike, which i likely should....)
2011-01-24 12:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
ah yes...
the update!
all in all... so-so for the week:

Mon: spin & swim
Tues: run (5k)
Wed: run & swim
Thurs:  rest & the dreaded quarterly meeting
Fri: spin
Sat: yoga-- skipped due to laziness & a lunch offer
Sun: long run-- got spooked by the wind-chill & bailed

this week's plan:
Mon: spin & swim
Tues: run
Wed: run & swim
Thurs: spin
Fri: rest (& dr's appt)
Sat: yoga
Sun: long run

2011-01-24 12:55 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Actually I was thinking that Em is talking tri shorts too LisaB. THey looked like it on her blog. I doubt there is much compression on them.

Wait until you see my heart rate during my tests. It will be as high as you ever see it. I get as close to passing out as possible. Then you get really big numbers haha

EDIT to add. I love Guinness! Murphys is even nicer. There was some Bells Double Chocolate ALe that was really nice too.

Edited by phatknot 2011-01-24 12:56 PM
2011-01-24 1:42 PM

User image

Master
Snuck in a swim at lunch. I am back on my HIM build so the swim interval topic is of interest. My coach tested me every 4 weeks to re-establish my T-pace. It helped her plan my intervals. I believe to get faster with swimming you have to really push yourself during the workouts. She had me swimming shorter sets than I did on my own but I would leave the pool trashed after her intervals.

I'm a big fan of Black and Tan when done correctly.

During the warmer months I do all of my commuting to work via bike or run. At the moment it is mostly run due to weather. I have a shower at work and keep a wardrobe there and at home. It is much tougher for a female (makeup, fashion, hair, ect) but I  think it could be possible.
2011-01-24 2:28 PM

Extreme Veteran
lol!
yup-- i've got a stash of stuff at work (duplicates of sunscreen, cleanser & the other "essentials")

& the swimming comment makes sense.
we did interval work on wednesday & i was DONE for the next day
(but it's nice to know that it serves a purpose)

assuming all goes well with the oly planned this year (Sept), i'm hoping to take on HIM training heading into 2012 (for an early July 2012 event)

it's definitely the bike that has be concerned....
i'm hoping biking to work will help with that
it's just 10k each way... but the way home has a few decent climbs...
so we'll see
(hopefully that won't be a waste...)
but it's a tricky call: to bike that distance or run it.
i guess i could always hop off the bike when i get home & get a little brick work in...?

(seems ODD to be thinking this far ahead when it feels as though this winter won't end right now!!)
2011-01-24 3:06 PM

User image

Hey guys,

Just a quick message coz I'm at work!!

My 2XU shorts aren't tri shorts. Just run shorts. There's no chamois or padding in them.

The problem I have with them is that there is no compression through the legs. There is plenty around the bum and the waist (muffin-top anyone?) ... but they just don't help my quads at all.

Maybe they're not meant for that?

Anyways ... back to work :-(

Em
2011-01-24 3:14 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Em
Like LisaB I have these stockings by Zoot but you really only could use them for recovery they are so stiff. I think compress sport is coming out with or already have quad compression sleeves that can be used for activity. I have not tried them yet. Has anyone tried the quad compression?

Yeah, swim intervals suck. I can do them but I hate them. And your times do drop pretty rapidly. Plus you look really hard to all the others who are swimming junk laps. Shanks comes from a swimming background and takes pleasure in writing me hard swim workouts that I dutifully ignore and swim easier because I am a wuss.

However, on the bike, I will smack him down! 5" VO2 max test tomorrow. Lookout!

2011-01-24 8:50 PM
in reply to: #3318305

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
nicruns - 2011-01-24 1:14 PM
i haven't made the commute yet!
(& i likely won't until... April or May-- or whenever we get rid of all of this darned SNOW on the ground!!!)

but i'm lucky.
we have shower facilities in the office
(& i swiped a locker back when i started in this place & stocked it FULL of stuff to change into & out of when i get motived and run to and from work...)

now... i just need to figure out a path that will enable me to miss the worst of the traffic & drivers here in toronto....
(& where to store my bike-- in case i take my road bike, which i likely should....)

Showers are nice at the office and oh so much cleaner and tolerable as the one at Master's swim!

I don't know how I forgot it's winter and not the best time to commute on the bike.  We don't have snow (except for that one week) and I hate riding outside now!

Which I most likely will have to shake by this weekend cause a 2:30 trainer ride (which is bike on my schedule) may be more than even I can endure!
2011-01-24 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3318855

User image

Master
Roswell, GA
phatknot - 2011-01-24 4:14 PM Em
Like LisaB I have these stockings by Zoot but you really only could use them for recovery they are so stiff. I think compress sport is coming out with or already have quad compression sleeves that can be used for activity. I have not tried them yet. Has anyone tried the quad compression?

Yeah, swim intervals suck. I can do them but I hate them. And your times do drop pretty rapidly. Plus you look really hard to all the others who are swimming junk laps. Shanks comes from a swimming background and takes pleasure in writing me hard swim workouts that I dutifully ignore and swim easier because I am a wuss.

I'm thinking Smack Down should be part of your name!  Let's see - Harv's not phat and he throws a hell of a smack down when he he does the SBR!
2011-01-24 9:16 PM
in reply to: #3319442

User image

Master
Lisa B - 2011-01-24 9:55 PM
phatknot - 2011-01-24 4:14 PM Em

I'm thinking Smack Down should be part of your name!  Let's see - Harv's not phat and he throws a hell of a smack down when he he does the SBR!

I had to fix that for you.

Harv, What do you do with the VO2 Max results? Do you get a little claustrophobic while you do the test? Is there an MD on standby when you do the test?
2011-01-24 9:55 PM

User image

Elite
SE
Nothing fancy really. I wish I had an ambulance nearby haha but it'll be me in the dungeon on My blade in the trainer. shanks gives me zones based off the 20' test which comes Thursday. Then he gives me progressive intervals designed to improve my max on each. Longer intervals designed to push up FTP and shorter. I'd have to go back into like august and early September to check the actual workouts which are all in my logs.Lisab is correct. Loud fast music is key! No time for anxiety or fear. It's all about sublimation....
2011-01-25 7:00 AM

User image

Elite
SE
You guys gotta be crazy commuting. These rednecks in Georgia would run my azz over in a heartbeat! Wish me luck as I go down to possible death in a few minutes. What are you doing today?

2011-01-25 7:29 AM

User image

Master
I really don't accept that excuse. The Georgia "Crackers" are no worse the our SC mountain "Hillbillies". I will try and upload some pictures latter. Almost was was run off the road a couple of days ago by a logging truck proudly flying the Confederate flag. I think he was hunting Canadians who come down here to train during this time of year. I refuse to tell the story about the Canadian women cycling team that I met last year.

I got in in a short run-to-work commute this morning.

Edited by pschriver 2011-01-25 7:31 AM
2011-01-25 8:36 AM

Extreme Veteran
lol
sounds like quite the story, i'll bet!! Tongue out
hopefully my fellow country-women were polite & shared the road... !

good luck with the test today!

for me, i've got a 7k run planned for after work (followed by that ever-important guinness!)
murphy's is great...  but i take what i can get! Laughing

& one of the women i swim with was telling me about a group that does workouts on or with (& i'm sorry b/c i'm about to massacre the name of it!)--- cyclometers, or something like that??
the contraptions/devices that measures your power/wattage on the bike ?

(am i even remotely close on that??) Embarassed

apparently all i have to do is call them up & i can take in a free workout with their group.

SIGN ME UP!
not sure when this will happen... but it will be interesting to have SOME sort of a measure of where i'm at on the bike right now
especially since my road bike & i are completely untested!!
2011-01-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3319884

User image

Elite
SE
We love Canadian women, especially athletic ones, on the Slayer mentor thread! Good work you guys.

Results are in. 398/161/94 (avg watts for 5 mins, Hr, and cadence). This is up 6% from last year's preseason test but down 7% from pre-Augusta/IMFL test. Slayer has some work to do. http://tpks.ws/0nvO

You can compare back to my previous VO2 max tests listed on my page if you want to see how it changes. I listed them in the middle box. I am really dreading the 20' test on thursday. Makes me even look forward to the 5k TT on Saturday just to not have to go through that again....

I am all for you lot saving gas and running/cycling to work. Forget about me doing it. Our office is right near the mall where the most accidents in a 13 county region take place. I can't afford to be injured and out for very long. As we can see with our fellow triathletes, its tough missing any time due to injury, weather, family stuff. I'd drive myself even more batty.
2011-01-25 10:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Swam around 2500-3000 yards today and managed to maintain a 2:05/100 yard pace.  That's good for me.  I have a lot of work to do on my swim.  Ran about 3.5 miles with the pups after the swim.  Now it's off to a long day of mosquito dissections in the lab.

Good job, everyone! 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Not phat? Phatknot SLAYER - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38