BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2011-02-02 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3335102

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
Subject: RE: Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED
RVachon - 2011-02-02 11:26 AM
Give me some beach muscles any day. Wink

Up until 2 years ago, I was all strength training.  My baseball playing weight was around 187, and in the couple years after college, I stayed around 182.  When I started swimming, the lifeguard/my first swim coach told me to stop lifting, that I was too big up top.  Last year, I did no strength training and did my last race of the season at 165.  What got me though was watching a friend cross the finish line at Kona and saying, "she looks like a skeleton" and my fiance essentially said "look in the mirror".  Looking back at race pictures, she was right.  So this year Ive been strength training more and Ill continue to do it through the season.  I dont do beach workouts anymore, but Im going to try and keep some meat on me.

2011-02-02 12:16 PM
in reply to: #3335332

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
vibratingp00 - 2011-02-02 12:53 PM

RVachon - 2011-02-02 11:26 AM
Give me some beach muscles any day. Wink

Up until 2 years ago, I was all strength training.  My baseball playing weight was around 187, and in the couple years after college, I stayed around 182.  When I started swimming, the lifeguard/my first swim coach told me to stop lifting, that I was too big up top.  Last year, I did no strength training and did my last race of the season at 165.  What got me though was watching a friend cross the finish line at Kona and saying, "she looks like a skeleton" and my fiance essentially said "look in the mirror".  Looking back at race pictures, she was right.  So this year Ive been strength training more and Ill continue to do it through the season.  I dont do beach workouts anymore, but Im going to try and keep some meat on me.

Oh yeah. Healthy looking and fast are sometimes mutually exclusive.
2011-02-02 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3271048

User image

Yes, Jamie, I'll post the QOTD tomorrow.  I've got one I think will be good.
2011-02-02 2:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
With this crappy weather in Indy, I'm glad that the bike trainer doesn't annoy me one bit! After two days w/o leaving the house I am starting to get a bit of cabin fever though. This is often a dangerous time where I'll sit here and sign up for a race or something. It was exactly a day like this in 2009 that landed me at the Triple T in 2010!

Jamie
2011-02-02 4:43 PM

User image

New user
It truly is groundhogs day...I have been to the airport 3x in 3 days...I have gone through customs twice and I am in my 3rd hotel in as many nights...I should get back tomorrow...fingers crossed...

This has wreaked havoc on my training.  I did get a 5K in on the treadmill here at the hotel and it was not good.  But its done and I looked forward to seeing home manana....

2011-02-02 6:37 PM
in reply to: #3336016

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
JBougher - 2011-02-02 5:43 PM

It truly is groundhogs day...I have been to the airport 3x in 3 days...I have gone through customs twice and I am in my 3rd hotel in as many nights...I should get back tomorrow...fingers crossed...

This has wreaked havoc on my training.  I did get a 5K in on the treadmill here at the hotel and it was not good.  But its done and I looked forward to seeing home manana....

That sux. I grew up near Punxsutawney. What the country doesn't see is a bunch of drunk college kids watching it happen (and skipping class). I must admit that I was there a couple of times for it during college. We drank all day and watched the rat climb out of it's hole. Maybe that will help in your situation?

2011-02-02 11:38 PM

User image

Since I'm in the Pacific time zone, most of you won't see this until Feb 3, which makes it my turn for QOTD.

QOTD:  Why do you do triathlons?  Ok, I know this one is a bit philosophical, but I’m always intrigued by what makes people put themselves through the strains of training for tri’s.

AOTD:  For me, it’s the challenge.  There are lots of ways to “stay in shape,” and most of them could probably be counted as more fun than triathlon training.  But in my opinion, it’s a true challenge to work on improving in 3 separate events, each very different than the others.  For my first tri, I did a HIM…for the simple reason that I considered it a big challenge to go from nothing to a HIM in 4 months.  It motivated me to get out of bed every morning, even on the days I was tired or it was cold out.  It was that fear of failing the challenge that drove me.  I also really like the balance that a s/b/r training routine gives for endurance training.

2011-02-02 11:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
QOTD - I do tri's because I love the training and the rush I get at the start and crossing the finishline. I hate how hard it is but the feeling of crossing that line at the end is so worth it!
2011-02-03 7:05 AM
in reply to: #3336210

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
jamiej - 2011-02-02 7:37 PM
That sux. I grew up near Punxsutawney. What the country doesn't see is a bunch of drunk college kids watching it happen (and skipping class). I must admit that I was there a couple of times for it during college. We drank all day and watched the rat climb out of it's hole.

Funny, semi-related story.  My fiance is from Dubois, and after she told us about the whole drunken party to watch the rat emerge, we took a trip up to enjoy the festivities.  Only problem was that we drank too much the night before and forgot that groundhogs day is way too early in the morning.  No one was sober enough to drive the next morning.

AOTD:  I do tris because I cant play baseball anymore and need a competitive outlet.  After college, with a job and a dead arm, I didnt have the time to put into practicing to stay at the same level that I was used to, and playing became frustrating.  At around the same time, Jesselyn blew out her knee and her first step in rehab was being in the pool, so I went with her.  Her next step was biking, and then running again (she ran track in college).  This naturally led to triathlons, which nicely filled the competitive void.
2011-02-03 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
AQOTD:  I do tris (and mountain bike races) mainly because it forces me to stay active & healthy, and I also enjoy competition....but I was also getting that from racing cars before, but tris are cheaper and healthier.  Yes I said cheaper.
2011-02-03 7:21 AM

User image

Expert
Port Colborne, Ontario
Well, for the next week my training will be minimal because of work deadlines.  I'll mostly be doing my run training and hopefully find a spot here and there for squeeze in a swim or 2.  I have a 10k temp run this evening and that's it.

2011-02-03 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
AQOD: I do tri's because I can. I like pushing myself to limits that I would have otherwise thought were unobtainable. I used to have a job that I could throw myself into like this.. tri has replaced that. Don't get my wrong, I like my work- but it's not my passion. I have to feed the type A beast and this allows me to do it!!
2011-02-03 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
AQOD:

I do it b/c I like the process. I tend to be a very scheduled person so I love the training schedule and the work involved to get decent at it. I also liked it because it is an 'odd' sport, or at least it was 6-7 years ago. Now it's much more mainstream. I like to be different in everything that I get into. Typically if it's 'mainstream' I don't want anything to do with it.

VOLUNTEERS FOR TOMORROW'S QOTD???

More trainer work for me again. 1hr this morning and 1hr after work. Pool was closed again this morning and it's too cold/icy to get out and run.
2011-02-03 10:56 AM

User image

I spent 5 hours yesterday shoveling out of the mountains of snow dumped on us.  Didn't get on the computer even once.  So I owe 2 QOTD answers:

1- Strength Training- yes.  I need more upper body strength to improve my swim speed and I have to be able to excel on my bi-annual physical fitness tests.  30 minutes 3 days a week of push-ups and pull-ups does wonders, add another 15 minutes for ab work, and its good. 

2- The HIM this year will be my first one.  I guess I am doing it for the challenge, but more so because it is an excellent way to model for my children many positive behaviors- goal setting and achivement, perserverance, physical fitness...  These are lessons that are best taught by example.
2011-02-03 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3337173

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
AQOD: Needed an outlet for the stresses of life and work.  Got bored with in the first year of running and started biking and swimming.  This seems to be the only year an IM can fit in if we decide to have baby #2 soon.  I need the challenge of a date to keep me going!

I will take QOTD for tomorrow - Friday!!!

Edited by wallico 2011-02-03 12:01 PM
2011-02-03 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
AQOD: I do tris because I consider them difficult.  I like things that are difficult and challenging athletically.  I also happen to have always liked running and cycling which made tris seem like a good fit.  It seems any sport I attempt to play I like and I have found the same with swimming.  It seems the more I do it, the more I like it....kinda of neat!

2011-02-03 1:20 PM

User image

This summer I'm doing a 500 mile ride from Salt Lake to Vegas (about 100 miles per day for 5 days).  I want to get a nicer wheelset for this ride, since my road bike could use it anyway.  The guys at the bike shop are telling me that even the race sets are being made by the manufacturers now to withstand the day-to-day training rides.  Basically they're saying if you're going to spend good money on good wheels, why leave them in the garage for most of the year?...just ride them and enjoy them because you'll likely not ride them enough to wear them out.  What do you guys think?  I know a lot of people who use their race wheels just 3 days a year, which for me is a bad cost/benefit ratio.

2011-02-03 1:43 PM
in reply to: #3337488

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
wallico - 2011-02-03 1:00 PM

AQOD: Needed an outlet for the stresses of life and work.  Got bored with in the first year of running and started biking and swimming.  This seems to be the only year an IM can fit in if we decide to have baby #2 soon.  I need the challenge of a date to keep me going!

I will take QOTD for tomorrow - Friday!!!

Thanks Wally!
2011-02-03 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3337662

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-02-03 2:20 PM

This summer I'm doing a 500 mile ride from Salt Lake to Vegas (about 100 miles per day for 5 days).  I want to get a nicer wheelset for this ride, since my road bike could use it anyway.  The guys at the bike shop are telling me that even the race sets are being made by the manufacturers now to withstand the day-to-day training rides.  Basically they're saying if you're going to spend good money on good wheels, why leave them in the garage for most of the year?...just ride them and enjoy them because you'll likely not ride them enough to wear them out.  What do you guys think?  I know a lot of people who use their race wheels just 3 days a year, which for me is a bad cost/benefit ratio.

Cody,
IMO, you're being 'sold'. I would buy bombproof heavy wheels. Probably just like the ones you have now. On that ride, I'd rather bust a spoke from a regular box wheel than a carbon wheel in the middle of nowhere. I agree that race wheels are getting more dependable but if you hit a hole would you rather replace a $100 wheel or a $1000 wheel? This is one of the many reasons that I train and race on the exact same 32 spoke mavic open pro box wheel. Slap a disc cover on it and it's just as fast as anything else. It's also more reliable and cheaper. Race wheels are very overblown in terms of value. If a person really needs that bling factor to look cool then I would advice to rent from raceday wheels/ironman wheels. It's just more cost effective.

jamie

Edited by jamiej 2011-02-03 2:04 PM
2011-02-03 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3337724

User image

Thanks, Jamie.  Even though you called me Chad and not Cody, I'm going to consider this good advice.Laughing  No worries...I know you're juggling a bunch of names on this thread.

I like having good equipment to make riding more enjoyable ("enjoyable" is code for "fast"), but the price tag on some of this stuff is crazy, and the opinions are so varied that it's hard to know.
2011-02-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3337758

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-02-03 3:07 PM

Thanks, Jamie.  Even though you called me Chad and not Cody, I'm going to consider this good advice.Laughing  No worries...I know you're juggling a bunch of names on this thread.

I like having good equipment to make riding more enjoyable ("enjoyable" is code for "fast"), but the price tag on some of this stuff is crazy, and the opinions are so varied that it's hard to know.

I'll have you know that I edited that before you posted back! I was actually on my trainer and realized what I did. I stopped my session to run upstairs to edit it! See for yourself. How is that for dedication?

So, I did get another 1hr on my trainer today.

I understand the 'pressure' to buy the bling. It's happened to me too. I had a set of HED race wheels. They were tubulars (ugh, big PITA). They were crazy light. I sold them to buy my powertap. Best decision for me that is for sure. If you are really looking for bling then buy a disk cover and put a custom decal on it. At least that way you can be a bit original. A good company here in Indy that does that is www.wheeltags.com. I know the owners. They are good guys and do great work. Just fyi.

Double check my edit on the previous post! Sorry about that!

Jamie

2011-02-03 3:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
Cody,
Typically the best bang for your buck in terms of free speed would be:

1. bike fit
2. aero lid
3. front wheel

If you are looking for 'ride quality' for your 500mile ride then your tires (not wheels) will make more of a difference.

If you have the $$ for race wheels then I would absolutely say to buy a powermeter first and then decide on wheels.

Jamie

Edited by jamiej 2011-02-03 3:44 PM
2011-02-03 3:55 PM
in reply to: #3337948

User image

Veteran
Abbotsford
jamiej - 2011-02-03 1:43 PMCody,Typically the best bang for your buck in terms of free speed would be:1. bike fit2. aero lid3. front wheelIf you are looking for 'ride quality' for your 500mile ride then your tires (not wheels) will make more of a difference.If you have the $$ for race wheels then I would absolutely say to buy a powermeter first and then decide on wheels. Jamie
Why just a front wheel?
2011-02-03 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3337943

User image

I hope you know I was only kidding about the name thing.  As a guy who is TERRIBLE with names, I cant talk.  Plus your getting my name wrong for 5 minutes doesn't even compare to the blunder I made...for the first 4 or 5 days of this thread, I thought you were a woman.  I honestly don't know what made me have that in my mind.  When I looked back at your initial post, I couldn't find anything that got me on the wrong track...I think maybe it was that my female swim coach at the gym is a Jamie.  I honestly don't know.  Anyway, after the first 4 or 5 days, you mentioned something about your wife, and I was like, "UUUhhhh.  Oops!"  It still makes me laugh, although it doesn't make me feel very smart.

And, yes, you are dedicated to this, and I appreciate it.  My last mentor was...well let's just say not as dedicated.  This has been a nice change.
2011-02-03 4:14 PM
in reply to: #3338020

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
clewis38 - 2011-02-03 5:11 PM

I hope you know I was only kidding about the name thing.  As a guy who is TERRIBLE with names, I cant talk.  Plus your getting my name wrong for 5 minutes doesn't even compare to the blunder I made...for the first 4 or 5 days of this thread, I thought you were a woman.  I honestly don't know what made me have that in my mind.  When I looked back at your initial post, I couldn't find anything that got me on the wrong track...I think maybe it was that my female swim coach at the gym is a Jamie.  I honestly don't know.  Anyway, after the first 4 or 5 days, you mentioned something about your wife, and I was like, "UUUhhhh.  Oops!"  It still makes me laugh, although it doesn't make me feel very smart.

And, yes, you are dedicated to this, and I appreciate it.  My last mentor was...well let's just say not as dedicated.  This has been a nice change.

I knew you were kidding. Yeah....the name is a bit ambiguous. Stupid nickname that my dad's aircrew in Nam gave him. I got tagged with it as a little boy and it stuck.

Jamie
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jamie's HIM/IM Training Group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 40