BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2012-01-18 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3997557

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)
quincyf - 2012-01-18 1:00 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-01-18 10:56 AMAnyone hazard a guess on the mileage for 100 RPM on a bike equates to?
How exactly are u measuring RPM?
Counting. 20 taps in 10 seconds gets you 120rpms. Trying to figure a rough idea on distance in a spin class?

2012-01-18 5:12 PM
in reply to: #3997795

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED)

mjh1975 - 2012-01-18 2:21 PM
mjh1975 - 2012-01-18 10:56 AMAnyone hazard a guess on the mileage for 100 RPM on a bike equates to?
Counting. 20 taps in 10 seconds gets you 120rpms. Trying to figure a rough idea on distance in a spin class?

Ok spin class.  I got this!!!            Here is the thing.   RPM does not mean jack.    ever ride a bike in 1st gear?  yup you can spin around like crazy and not actually go anywhere.  So RPM by itself does not mean anything (much)    I have no idea how hard you aqre working in spin.  I will say, lots of people in spin have little load or (row as they call it.  why I have no idea.   I actually think they were taught that the tension knob at one point was called "road" and someone along the way thought they said "row"  but that's what they say.  I don't get that part. anyhowwww)     I go really hard in spin class  but without a power meter,   how do you know?   well  since I spend every spin class looking at everyone else (and myself) in the mirrors, I am analyzing who is really working and who is pretending.  

Ok all that aside.     What I do, is count spin class as 16 MPH   so 45 min = 12 miles outside.      Why 16?  cause a spin bike is not my real bike.    I know that I'm putting out an effort in spin north of 16+  but have no way of "knowing"  for sure what it really is.       I want to give myself less of a reason to spin (though I think spin is great) and more reason to ride my real bike.   So 16 is kinda handicapping it a lil bit.        My advice is pick a MPH that you feel is conservative.   When you are in spin,  give it a real honest effort.  (you know when you are not)     then log it always consistently at that conservative  MPH

you can create in your equipment log  the spin bike that you normally use.  Also create your bike as a gear item.   then for each training ride, log which one you used.  This way you will know just how much you rode one or the other.   

In my logs.   the startrac NXT  is spin.   the Orbea is my bike.   you can see I actually have spent more time spinning than I have actually riding.    Nice data to have.    

2012-01-18 6:49 PM
in reply to: #3942395

User image

New user

Athens, GA

Ok... After a crazy start to the school year, calendar year and training classes last week, I think I have gotten things into a routine. I updated my logs, and I'm working on catching up on all of the forum posts. I re-injured my ankle yesterday on the stairs, so I may have to skip workouts this week. One day at a time, one step at a time... I'm love the information generated by all of the questions. Thanks to those of you that are farther a long, maybe some of my questions will be answered when I get to those stages. Thanks to our wonderful mentors for answering all the crazy questions and sharing their brains with us.

Wendy

2012-01-18 7:06 PM
in reply to: #3994684

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-01-17 10:09 AM

peterflagg - 2012-01-17 4:21 AM So I have a problem today. Due to my recent ankle surgery I cannot run for a couple more weeks. The last couple of weeks I have had to finish off some school stuff and not getting to the gym. Went yesterday and did my 5k walk like I had been doing. Well when I sat there last night and logged all my foods and exercise I had 1000 calories left for the day. There is no way I can do that before bed, so when I woke up today I am famished. I have already had an apple, peanut butter and some soup. Probably around 500-600 calories so far but I am STARVING!!! Obviously I don't want to eat some crap that will reek havoc on my blood sugars. Any ideas? Mark this might be up your alley d/t the diabetes.

Peter, I think you learned a valuable lesson here...eat your calories during the day...

For quick, calorie dense food, perhaps you can keep some almonds and walnuts on hand? Also I like lean ham (kirkland is the BEST!!!) and lowfat cheese on a wasa cracker or whole wheat bread slice. Heck, a protein shake would have gotten you a lot closer to your 1000 calorie deficit...and easy to digest...any protein powder from the grocery store would work (protein powder, not diet drink powder). You already got the peanut butter.

My favorite go to food...fast to make, balanced, and yummy? A sandwich. Carbs, protein, whole wheat bread. Load that sucker up with as many veggies as will fit...perfect food. Just no high fat mayo or chees and keep the meats lean...roast beef (some), lean ham, chicken, turkey...viola!!!

HTH.

Let's hear from Shelly and everyone else...filling, but nutrient dense foods???

I agree Q, a protein shake would have done the trick.  I use one that a scope is 26 g protein, 2 scopes 52 gram.  1 cup of skim milk, a banana, peanut butter, ice; and you have a great dessert/drink/smoothie.  I also use frozen berries or frozen OJ to change flavors.

Tom

2012-01-18 7:21 PM
in reply to: #3998196

User image

Veteran
oriolepwr - 2012-01-18 6:12 PM

Ok spin class.  I got this!!!            Here is the thing.   RPM does not mean jack.    ever ride a bike in 1st gear?  yup you can spin around like crazy and not actually go anywhere.  So RPM by itself does not mean anything (much)    I have no idea how hard you aqre working in spin.  I will say, lots of people in spin have little load or (row as they call it.  why I have no idea.   I actually think they were taught that the tension knob at one point was called "road" and someone along the way thought they said "row"  but that's what they say.  I don't get that part. anyhowwww)     I go really hard in spin class  but without a power meter,   how do you know?   well  since I spend every spin class looking at everyone else (and myself) in the mirrors, I am analyzing who is really working and who is pretending.  

Ok all that aside.     What I do, is count spin class as 16 MPH   so 45 min = 12 miles outside.      Why 16?  cause a spin bike is not my real bike.    I know that I'm putting out an effort in spin north of 16+  but have no way of "knowing"  for sure what it really is.       I want to give myself less of a reason to spin (though I think spin is great) and more reason to ride my real bike.   So 16 is kinda handicapping it a lil bit.        My advice is pick a MPH that you feel is conservative.   When you are in spin,  give it a real honest effort.  (you know when you are not)     then log it always consistently at that conservative  MPH

you can create in your equipment log  the spin bike that you normally use.  Also create your bike as a gear item.   then for each training ride, log which one you used.  This way you will know just how much you rode one or the other.   

In my logs.   the startrac NXT  is spin.   the Orbea is my bike.   you can see I actually have spent more time spinning than I have actually riding.    Nice data to have.    

Great info on spin and how to equate it.  Thanks!  I also look at myself and others in spin class and evaluate who's working and who's pretending.  I try to make sure I'm one of the workers!  The people who spend the whole class chit chatting and not paying attention drive me nuts!  Are you here to work or to socialize?!  Socialize on the walking track!  Listen to me being all judgy...sorry. 

2012-01-18 7:24 PM

User image

Veteran

Good news on the swim front.  I spent some time tonight forcing myself to breathe on both sides.  Probably got in about 4 laps doing that.  I found it very tough to get into a rhythym and got pretty winded a few times, but I definitely made progress.  DH says next time I'll be able to do 6 laps and next time 10 and so on and then I'll catch on to it.  So, I'll keep work, work, working it.

So funny.  Everyone at the pool is faster than me.  My 8 year old on my left and the granny on my right!  All I can do is laugh!

2012-01-18 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3998418

User image

Sutton

I promise to never, ever, in a million years complain about riding in the cold... Ever !!

Temp is -16F without the wind chill factor... Saw at least half a dozen riders.  It is soooooo cold, road salt doesn't melt, the streets are covered with a thick sheet of ice and the driving is very, shall we say hazardous. Imagine, these riders are traveling at a fair pace on the streets, through traffic and more... on narrow tires!

This is what I call "Voluntary Simplicity" or gas is just too expensive...

2012-01-18 8:20 PM

User image

Sutton
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-18 8:24 PM

Good news on the swim front.  I spent some time tonight forcing myself to breathe on both sides.  Probably got in about 4 laps doing that.  I found it very tough to get into a rhythym and got pretty winded a few times, but I definitely made progress.  DH says next time I'll be able to do 6 laps and next time 10 and so on and then I'll catch on to it.  So, I'll keep work, work, working it.

So funny.  Everyone at the pool is faster than me.  My 8 year old on my left and the granny on my right!  All I can do is laugh!

If I may suggest, I use a flotation device in foam (the one that you squeeze between your legs), they are available at my pool. That way I am only concerned about my stroke and breathe. I try to exagerate the amount of rotation of my hips to help my head/mouth come out of the water. I slow down my strokes, so I get more time to inhale a larger volume of air, this enables me to work on the efficiency of my strokes (pull and power) and reduces my HR.

Hope this helps...

2012-01-18 8:44 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

"Listening to your body"   

****Disclaimer-This is Dave perspective from personal experience. I am no Doctor****

"listening to your body"

This is a hugely important concept.   Obviously its crucial to avoid injuries.   

The trouble for me with "listening to your body"  is that my body LIES to me.   All the time. 

Often my body tells me to lay down on the couch, drink beer and eat potato chips.  "Dave, don't run. your hip hurts,  listen to me! you need rest"       Then I go out and run and will be thinking, this run is not going to go well.  I'm forcing it,  I need rest.   Maybe for the first mile it does not feel good, but then....   Legs warm up,  heart rate and breathing gets into that rhythm,   and everything clicks.  Finish the run up and I say to myself  "Damn that felt GOOOOD!"          Other times, I think I feel great and ready to go.  only to get out there and realize  "Dang!  I just do not have it today (but thought I did)"    So I "try" to recognize this and will shorten up the run or workout, or lose some intensity. 

We are not kids.   stuff is going to hurt.  Your body is going to tell you "you could be injured, this could be more than just an ache"   Its really REALLY  hard to tell the difference.    So this "Listening to your body"  concept is not something that at this stage you are going to be in good tune with.   Just sayin.     

OMG  before a marathon or whatever, this is when your body starts telling you constantly that you need to listen.  Everything starts to hurt.   How can I run a marathon when this hurts and that aches and this is tight and I can feel my chronic achilles issue acting up.    But then you go out and run the thing.  And all those "phantom" injuries go <POOF!>   or......  not!    see I don't always know the difference either.  

So  Whats the point?   Well there are some good things to keep in mind.    One thing that you need to "listen" carefully to your body is muscle tightness.  Why?     Having a tight muscle is a good warning sign.   Tight muscles pulls things (other muscles/tendons) out of their normal alignment.     tight muscles as my PT (physical therapist-you get referred to these people after you have an injury) create a "friends and neighbors"  scenario.   Your body adapts  and recruits muscles to "help" so you can keep running.  But these muscles are not supposed to work as hard or in that way.     Can you get away with this for some time?   Absolutely!     So if its a couple of days, its not a biggie.   If they are perpetually tight, or are on their way to that, then LOOKOUT!

What do I do?

Muscles that are tight for a day,  just train.  no worries.   But if they are still tight day after day,  then rest, stretch, foam roll (more on this in a minute) get a massage.  WHAT?  think a massage is too expensive?   How much is a doctor?  that's what you will need when you are injured. 

When you run, you "stress" your muscles.  They micro-tear, this is normal.  As they repair they form "adhesion's"   Think about it like this.  The muscle fibers normally all run in the same direction.  Like your fingers do when you make a stop sign with your hand.  When these fibers heal, and form these Adhesion's, or scar tissue, the scar tissue forms in an irregular way.  Like if you put a band-aid on multiple fingers.  Your fingers will not be as flexible.    So the object of using a foam roller,  helps to break up the adhesions.  Improves muscle tightness, which helps keep you running.

Here is what one looks like.  They are like $20-$30      I actually have three of them.  But I have my fav named.   If you ask, I might even tell you the name (or not)      Using one at first REALLY hurts.  And you have to learn how to do it.   After a few weeks of using one, you get used to it.

Right now, I'm suggesting you start thinking about getting one.  

Stretching:  

There is lots of debate about if stretching before running is a good thing or not.   There is no real argument about stretching AFTER.  Its good, it helps.   Also trying to be as flexible as you can be will help keep you away from injury and you will recover quicker.  

Yoga is a really good thing to do (but I don't like it)    So try to develop some sort of good stretching routine that you do on a regular basis. (daily!)

Ice bath  after a hard run (fast run OR long run)  is a great thing to do.  In fact one of the WORST things you can do (my understanding)   is to take a hot shower right after a hard run.  This slows the healing process.  I'm not going to say that I follow this all the time, but I am listening to my body and how tight things are, and then I will do it as part of my recovery plan when my body is slow to repair itself.   Essentially all of this aids in the recovery process.   

Stress/recover/stress/recover    stress=running  Tightness = recovery process  your body is trying to become stronger for you.  

Ok I have to listen to my body now.   I'm tired.    Time to watch some Netflix with my DW! 

2012-01-18 8:46 PM
in reply to: #3998489

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-18 7:57 PM

I promise to never, ever, in a million years complain about riding in the cold... Ever !!

Temp is -16F without the wind chill factor... Saw at least half a dozen riders.  It is soooooo cold, road salt doesn't melt, the streets are covered with a thick sheet of ice and the driving is very, shall we say hazardous. Imagine, these riders are traveling at a fair pace on the streets, through traffic and more... on narrow tires!

This is what I call "Voluntary Simplicity" or gas is just too expensive...

Not me!!!   BRRRrrr     hello trainer or spin.    Thanks for sharing!

2012-01-18 8:57 PM
in reply to: #3998366

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Emmrald - 2012-01-18 6:49 PM

Ok... After a crazy start to the school year, calendar year and training classes last week, I think I have gotten things into a routine. I updated my logs, and I'm working on catching up on all of the forum posts. I re-injured my ankle yesterday on the stairs, so I may have to skip workouts this week. One day at a time, one step at a time... I'm love the information generated by all of the questions. Thanks to those of you that are farther a long, maybe some of my questions will be answered when I get to those stages. Thanks to our wonderful mentors for answering all the crazy questions and sharing their brains with us.

Wendy

Welcome back Wendy!   We have been missing you!   sorry about the ankle.  A lot of ankle issues around here it seems. 

We get charged up seeing people get excited and make progress.   So And thanks to all of you too!    

Also, the questions are not crazy at all.   Really how can you know this when you are starting out?    So much information out there, but much of it is conflicting or confusing. 

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-01-18 9:04 PM

2012-01-18 9:34 PM
in reply to: #3998416

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-18 7:21 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-18 6:12 PM

Great info on spin and how to equate it.  Thanks!  I also look at myself and others in spin class and evaluate who's working and who's pretending.  I try to make sure I'm one of the workers!  The people who spend the whole class chit chatting and not paying attention drive me nuts!  Are you here to work or to socialize?!  Socialize on the walking track!  Listen to me being all judgy...sorry. 

I think I have to agree with Dave on spitballin' the spin mileage...although I can see the case for RPM of the WHEEL having a correlation to 'virtual miles', he's correct that if the tension is set too light, it's sorta like riding downhill for 45 minutes, so what's the point?

AFA spin classes go, I try not to pay attention to anyone in there, especially the instructor.  

2012-01-18 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
DaDooRunRun - 2012-01-18 7:24 PM

Keep going with the bilateral breathing. It will become second nature to you. I PROMISE! It was like rubbing my belly and patting my head at first, and now it seems weird not to...

So for Michel, that puts me in the 3 stroke breather, although I tend to like to do a 2-2-3-3-2-2 kind of thing, depending on how hard I'm going. I change it up all the time...

2012-01-18 9:45 PM
in reply to: #3998574

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-01-18 8:44 PM

"Listening to your body"   

****Disclaimer-This is Dave perspective from personal experience. I am no Doctor****

"listening to your body"

This is a hugely important concept.   Obviously its crucial to avoid injuries.   

The trouble for me with "listening to your body"  is that my body LIES to me.   All the time. 

Often my body tells me to lay down on the couch, drink beer and eat potato chips.  "Dave, don't run. your hip hurts,  listen to me! you need rest"       Then I go out and run and will be thinking, this run is not going to go well.  I'm forcing it,  I need rest.   Maybe for the first mile it does not feel good, but then....   Legs warm up,  heart rate and breathing gets into that rhythm,   and everything clicks.  Finish the run up and I say to myself  "Damn that felt GOOOOD!"          Other times, I think I feel great and ready to go.  only to get out there and realize  "Dang!  I just do not have it today (but thought I did)"    So I "try" to recognize this and will shorten up the run or workout, or lose some intensity. 

We are not kids.   stuff is going to hurt.  Your body is going to tell you "you could be injured, this could be more than just an ache"   Its really REALLY  hard to tell the difference.    So this "Listening to your body"  concept is not something that at this stage you are going to be in good tune with.   Just sayin.     

OMG  before a marathon or whatever, this is when your body starts telling you constantly that you need to listen.  Everything starts to hurt.   How can I run a marathon when this hurts and that aches and this is tight and I can feel my chronic achilles issue acting up.    But then you go out and run the thing.  And all those "phantom" injuries go   or......  not!    see I don't always know the difference either.  

So  Whats the point?   Well there are some good things to keep in mind.    One thing that you need to "listen" carefully to your body is muscle tightness.  Why?     Having a tight muscle is a good warning sign.   Tight muscles pulls things (other muscles/tendons) out of their normal alignment.     tight muscles as my PT (physical therapist-you get referred to these people after you have an injury) create a "friends and neighbors"  scenario.   Your body adapts  and recruits muscles to "help" so you can keep running.  But these muscles are not supposed to work as hard or in that way.     Can you get away with this for some time?   Absolutely!     So if its a couple of days, its not a biggie.   If they are perpetually tight, or are on their way to that, then LOOKOUT!

What do I do?

Muscles that are tight for a day,  just train.  no worries.   But if they are still tight day after day,  then rest, stretch, foam roll (more on this in a minute) get a massage.  WHAT?  think a massage is too expensive?   How much is a doctor?  that's what you will need when you are injured. 

When you run, you "stress" your muscles.  They micro-tear, this is normal.  As they repair they form "adhesion's"   Think about it like this.  The muscle fibers normally all run in the same direction.  Like your fingers do when you make a stop sign with your hand.  When these fibers heal, and form these Adhesion's, or scar tissue, the scar tissue forms in an irregular way.  Like if you put a band-aid on multiple fingers.  Your fingers will not be as flexible.    So the object of using a foam roller,  helps to break up the adhesions.  Improves muscle tightness, which helps keep you running.

Here is what one looks like.  They are like $20-$30      I actually have three of them.  But I have my fav named.   If you ask, I might even tell you the name (or not)      Using one at first REALLY hurts.  And you have to learn how to do it.   After a few weeks of using one, you get used to it.

Right now, I'm suggesting you start thinking about getting one.  

Stretching:  

There is lots of debate about if stretching before running is a good thing or not.   There is no real argument about stretching AFTER.  Its good, it helps.   Also trying to be as flexible as you can be will help keep you away from injury and you will recover quicker.  

Yoga is a really good thing to do (but I don't like it)    So try to develop some sort of good stretching routine that you do on a regular basis. (daily!)

Ice bath  after a hard run (fast run OR long run)  is a great thing to do.  In fact one of the WORST things you can do (my understanding)   is to take a hot shower right after a hard run.  This slows the healing process.  I'm not going to say that I follow this all the time, but I am listening to my body and how tight things are, and then I will do it as part of my recovery plan when my body is slow to repair itself.   Essentially all of this aids in the recovery process.   

Stress/recover/stress/recover    stress=running  Tightness = recovery process  your body is trying to become stronger for you.  

Ok I have to listen to my body now.   I'm tired.    Time to watch some Netflix with my DW! 

This is a good point...I swear, I think a lot of beginners never get past the initial freak out their bodies give them when they first start out. There is a difference between soreness, tiredness, and 'you are going to break this.' 

2012-01-18 10:02 PM
in reply to: #3998196

Master
SouthSide of Chicago
oriolepwr - 2012-01-18 5:12 PM

Good point, Dave. At the end of the day I really don't care about mileage in spin class, but was just curious. I do know that I basically bust my hump for 100 minutes @ about a 7 "road" and its awesome! Gosh, I really miss riding outdoors in the winter. As a side bar, I'm no 'b.a.' by any stretch of the imagination. Please don't get that impression of me, anyone.

Edited by mjh1975 2012-01-18 10:13 PM
2012-01-18 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

UGH! I just came on to say hi and I end up posting, like a gazillion things...

I'm exhausted...it was one of those kinds of days...

I finally got into the pool for my aqua jogging (or as Ron Burgundy would say, yogging)...it was kind of weird and I felt self-conscious doing it, although I am sure the swim rats at a city pool 7am lap session have seen weirder things than me. I clipped my ipod micronanomini to my visor, put the stupid belt on and hopped in...at first it was kind of weird and I was uncoordinated, but I just concentrated on making my body act like it was running...for a while I held my pull-buoy (Hey, wth, I wanted a pool boy and all I got was this stupid pull buoy) under my right (lame) shoulder to help with balance.

Actually it was easier to balance than I thought and I got rid of it and into a rhythm pretty quick.

Sort of confused how to log it though.

It was way harder than I thought it would be and my legs are tired tonight, but without that pounded feeling you get from actual running. I can see how incredibly useful this will be for me...the challenge is just getting to the pool (and not feeling sheepish about taking up a lane).

Oh, and later today I took my kids to the eye doctor and found out my 3yo boy is becoming crosseyed and will have to wear glasses from now until I don't know when to correct it (no surgery yet!). Isn't that crazy? My poor kid is a hodge podge of awesomeness and issues...he did say he wanted RED glasses, so at least he's got FLAIR.

UGH, I'm done, off to bed.

Great stuff lately, so excited to hear about new bikes, and new techniques, and new races. VERY COOL!

Good Night!

2012-01-19 3:45 AM

Rochester

Question for you Q or Mark, with my planned 20 mile bike ride on April 28th and my 40 mile bike ride on June 10th, I obviously need to train for those. I did find a training plan online for a 50 mile bike ride and plan on using that for my plan. Question is, if I am also going to train for my sprint tri, should I replace my sprint tri bike rides with my longer bike ride training plan. I would keep the swim and run accoring to my plan, just change the bike.

Thanks,

Peter

2012-01-19 6:36 AM
in reply to: #3998834

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
peterflagg - 2012-01-19 3:45 AM

Question for you Q or Mark, with my planned 20 mile bike ride on April 28th and my 40 mile bike ride on June 10th, I obviously need to train for those. I did find a training plan online for a 50 mile bike ride and plan on using that for my plan. Question is, if I am also going to train for my sprint tri, should I replace my sprint tri bike rides with my longer bike ride training plan. I would keep the swim and run accoring to my plan, just change the bike.

Thanks,

Peter

Sure! That makes sense to me!
2012-01-19 7:45 AM
in reply to: #3998675

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
mjh1975 - 2012-01-18 10:02 PM
oriolepwr - 2012-01-18 5:12 PM

Good point, Dave. At the end of the day I really don't care about mileage in spin class, but was just curious. I do know that I basically bust my hump for 100 minutes @ about a 7 "road" and its awesome! Gosh, I really miss riding outdoors in the winter. As a side bar, I'm no 'b.a.' by any stretch of the imagination. Please don't get that impression of me, anyone.

NO that was not my impression!     I was just trying to show that there can be huge differences in theoretical mileage  between two people in a spin class going at the same RPM.   So I was not talking about you in particular.  

One other note:  perhaps it appears that I'm not a fan of spinning for TRI      Not the case at all.  Spin is an awesome workout.   In the classes  that I go to  we have developed a group of long time spinners.   We do "challenge" each other (friendly)  to work harder.   Its like an out door cycling group ride.    So we all watch each other.  Just like on a group ride,  If one person shows poor form or looks like they are weak, the others go on "attack" mode  heh.   Then that person has to respond.   Its fun.      If one tries to break away, we all have to respond to catch the breakaway.

Not everyone participates in this.   And I will watch them, and yes i admit I judge/analyze them.   I like to see people putting out lots of effort.   If I see they are trying really hard, Its motivating to see.  It does not matter what level they are at.  Hard work is hard work.        

I also like to ride at a higher rpm versus "mashing"    its not that one is better than the other.    Its which style suits you better.        I do have the belief though, that higher RPM style makes it easier to be able to run following the bike.   Slow rpm mashing your biggest gears makes it tough (for me anyhow)  to switch to a fast paced run.

2012-01-19 7:52 AM
in reply to: #3998834

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Thanks,

Peter

OOPS Peter, I meant to answer this one! Sorry! I would not OVERTRAIN for this...cycling is a lot easier than running to fake an event (not a race, but a ride). However, more time in the saddle is ALWAYS a good thing...what is the longest long ride you have in your sprint training plan? 20 miles? 1hr 15 minutes? I think if you can get your long ride closer to 35 miles/2 hours you will be all set. I would also try to simultaneously increase your other training rides about the same percentage if you can pull it off...does this make sense?

Remember I'm not a coach, just a mentor, which means I am sanity checking...I don't think adding on riding mileage to a sprint plan is a bad idea. Just do it gradually. 

Dave's more of a cyclist than I am so hoping he checks my thoughts here...

2012-01-19 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3998911

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
oriolepwr - 2012-01-19 6:36 AM

Thanks,

Peter

Sure! That makes sense to me!

Obviously I didn't read everything before I posted! Fire it up Peter!!!

2012-01-19 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3998650

User image

Sutton
quincyf - 2012-01-18 10:36 PM

Keep going with the bilateral breathing. It will become second nature to you. I PROMISE! It was like rubbing my belly and patting my head at first, and now it seems weird not to...

So for Michel, that puts me in the 3 stroke breather, although I tend to like to do a 2-2-3-3-2-2 kind of thing, depending on how hard I'm going. I change it up all the time...

Sorry, I should of added, I'm only breathing every 3 strokes. I like the rhythm, I can work my strokes, looking at how my arms are positioned with fingers spread (not much, just let the water pass through). I tend to like to pull hard and not as often, I like the feeling of gliding and covering as much distance with minimal strokes (laziness) and not slow down.

Some wise coach (many moons ago) told me, “The bottom line is how comfortable you are in the pool, and if you answer yes, than your technique is fine. Just work on consistency”.

2012-01-19 8:16 AM
in reply to: #3999089

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Michel.Sutton - 2012-01-19 8:07 AM
quincyf - 2012-01-18 10:36 PM

Sorry, I should of added, I'm only breathing every 3 strokes. I like the rhythm, I can work my strokes, looking at how my arms are positioned with fingers spread (not much, just let the water pass through). I tend to like to pull hard and not as often, I like the feeling of gliding and covering as much distance with minimal strokes (laziness) and not slow down.

Some wise coach (many moons ago) told me, “The bottom line is how comfortable you are in the pool, and if you answer yes, than your technique is fine. Just work on consistency”.

THat's how I like to feel in the pool too, though I have experimented with shortening my stroke just to see if I could do it because I have heard it is better in open/choppy water. 'Tho in open, choppy water, we shorten our strokes naturally I suppose. 

My mantra? Whatever gets you working out and keeps you there...

The ability to be able to breathe to either side is golden, SO glad you are able to do that comfortably, and the only 'right way' is the way that makes you as fast as you can be!

2012-01-19 8:19 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hey guys, 

Last year, before Racine, I brainstormed a checklist for my first HIM...some of the things on this list probably are overkill for a sprint, but it's not too far off...

Have a look. 

Triathlon Packing List

I may take the day off, or try for a treadmill/bike later in the day. Gotta figure out this glasses sitch for my poor crosseyed kid...What does everyone else have on tap for training???

2012-01-19 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3998714

User image

Veteran
quincyf - 2012-01-18 11:26 PM

UGH! I just came on to say hi and I end up posting, like a gazillion things...

I'm exhausted...it was one of those kinds of days...

I finally got into the pool for my aqua jogging (or as Ron Burgundy would say, yogging)...it was kind of weird and I felt self-conscious doing it, although I am sure the swim rats at a city pool 7am lap session have seen weirder things than me. I clipped my ipod micronanomini to my visor, put the stupid belt on and hopped in...at first it was kind of weird and I was uncoordinated, but I just concentrated on making my body act like it was running...for a while I held my pull-buoy (Hey, wth, I wanted a pool boy and all I got was this stupid pull buoy) under my right (lame) shoulder to help with balance.

Actually it was easier to balance than I thought and I got rid of it and into a rhythm pretty quick.

Sort of confused how to log it though.

It was way harder than I thought it would be and my legs are tired tonight, but without that pounded feeling you get from actual running. I can see how incredibly useful this will be for me...the challenge is just getting to the pool (and not feeling sheepish about taking up a lane).

Oh, and later today I took my kids to the eye doctor and found out my 3yo boy is becoming crosseyed and will have to wear glasses from now until I don't know when to correct it (no surgery yet!). Isn't that crazy? My poor kid is a hodge podge of awesomeness and issues...he did say he wanted RED glasses, so at least he's got FLAIR.

UGH, I'm done, off to bed.

Great stuff lately, so excited to hear about new bikes, and new techniques, and new races. VERY COOL!

Good Night!

That's me!  They put me in glasses when I was 2 for a lazy eye...aka "cross eyed".  Glasses didn't work, so they did surgery when I was 3.  That did the trick...for a while.  Surgery again when I was 12, again when I was 19 and again when I was 29.  I'm 43 now and haven't had an issue since the last surgery.  They say it's something that you grow out of most times by the time you're an adult.  Which is why the surgeon when I was 29 is a pediatric opthamologist, which made me feel silly.  Not often they have to do that surgery on adults.  Anyway...it'll all work out!  Very correctable problem!  And, personally, I think a little kid in glasses is CUTE!  Remember the cute little kid in Jerry Maguire?!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » QuincyF and Oriolepwr's Magical Mys-tri Tour for Newbies Has Begun (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 44