BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2012-03-26 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4110566

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session)
mdfahy - 2012-03-23 3:03 PM

The nice weather sure lifts our spirits and gets me pumped for race season!  I have my first tri in 3 weeks from tomorrow, Olympic distance.  Going to go "look" at carbon wheels tomorrow as my Christmas present that I deferred this past year.

Matt, how did the "looking" go? I think all the tri buying decisions are the hardest thing for me. It usually goes like this....research, research, a little more research, make a decision, second guess decision, a little more research, buy something, question decision, return it, do more research, give up and go S/B/R!! I do this with everything from socks to bikes! The training's the easy part! --Ali

2012-03-26 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3949904

User image

Toronto-ish

Just curious, has anyone who has already purchased spiffy wheels managed to document a tangible difference?

They look great and the psychosomatic influence might be undeniable, but what kinds of gains have people actually experienced?

Do they FEEL much different?

Do they all sound weird? I rode beside someone with carbon rims (several seasons old) and they were an audible violation.

2012-03-26 3:36 PM
in reply to: #4113883

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
marvintpa - 2012-03-26 3:29 PM

Just curious, has anyone who has already purchased spiffy wheels managed to document a tangible difference?

They look great and the psychosomatic influence might be undeniable, but what kinds of gains have people actually experienced?

Do they all sound weird? I rode beside someone with carbon rims (several seasons old) and they were an audible violation.

I am definitely faster on my carbon, deep wheels. I am way, way, way faster if I put a disk cover on the back wheel. That disk cover is good for 0.5 to 1 mph extra speed--I'm not dkidding.

The sound of the carbon wheels is part of their allure. It shows you mean business.

I actually have a set of HED jet 6 wheels that I might be willing to part with if you are interested. They would come with aforementioned disk cover. They are a box aluminum rim with a carbon faring so they don't sound different at all. This wasn't meant to be a sales pitch and I haven't even totally decided to part with them but I might be able to be convinced.
2012-03-27 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Just bought my new shoes an I am looking forward to giving them a go. Long run scheduled for Saturday, really looking forward to it.

Had a really great masters swim tonight, the coach brought some paddles out for me to try. Pretty interesting sensation, and it really magnified the fact that my right pull has a lot more strength in it. Will this even out over time or do I need to concentrate specifically on strengthening my left side??? Kind of a weird question I guess, but I am just wondering if anyonr else has run into this.
2012-03-27 10:36 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Oh also, a lady had a 70.3 jacket on at spin class today. Didnt get a chance to ask her about it though, and didnt see which one it was, but it was still awesome and inspiring!
2012-03-28 7:16 AM
in reply to: #4116427

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
"Pretty interesting sensation, and it really magnified the fact that my right pull has a lot more strength in it. Will this even out over time or do I need to concentrate specifically on strengthening my left side??? Kind of a weird question I guess, but I am just wondering if anyonr else has run into this."

Four years ago I suffered a neck injury with pretty severe neuropathy to my left arm. It had very little strength at all. When I would swim I would flop my left arm out in front of me and it pretty much just glided by my body--no real pull at all from it. Over time, and many 1000s of yards of swimming, my left arm has strengthened significantly. I did no specific exercises for the left arm alone (unless you count one arm swimming, but I do this for both sides). The arm has simply strengthened through swimming a lot. It still is not as strong as the right and may never be.

My one caveat to you is that it is possible that your pull technique is significantly different from L to R. If this is the case your left arm pull strength will not get better until your technique does. It might be worthwhile to have the masters coach really look at your stroke to make sure that there are not dramatic L to R technical differences.

2012-03-28 8:33 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Thanks Jason,

Im going to do that for sure. I could notice it with the paddles that I couldnt pull as straight throught the water and I had to slice the paddle a little to get my left arm through the stroke.
2012-03-28 9:26 PM
in reply to: #4113821

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Omahabritt - 2012-03-26 2:02 PM
mdfahy - 2012-03-23 3:03 PM

The nice weather sure lifts our spirits and gets me pumped for race season!  I have my first tri in 3 weeks from tomorrow, Olympic distance.  Going to go "look" at carbon wheels tomorrow as my Christmas present that I deferred this past year.

Matt, how did the "looking" go? I think all the tri buying decisions are the hardest thing for me. It usually goes like this....research, research, a little more research, make a decision, second guess decision, a little more research, buy something, question decision, return it, do more research, give up and go S/B/R!! I do this with everything from socks to bikes! The training's the easy part! --Ali

I picked up some Zipp 404s, tried them out today, but it was in winds 15-30 mph, so it was really hard to tell anything.  Have a ride tomorrow will see if it is less windy and can feel them out better.  I'm pretty pumped about them though.

2012-03-28 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4113883

User image

Veteran
Richmond
marvintpa - 2012-03-26 2:29 PM

Based on my ride today, n=1, they definitely had a different feel, better I think, but it was really windy, I was being pushed all over the place.   The noise only came when I stopped pedalling and it was a clicking noise, not too annoying. they didn't have that whooshh, whooshh sound that I think come from deeper wheels and discs.

2012-03-28 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4116615

User image

Veteran
Richmond

wannabefaster - 2012-03-28 7:16 AM "Pretty interesting sensation, and it really magnified the fact that my right pull has a lot more strength in it. Will this even out over time or do I need to concentrate specifically on strengthening my left side??? Kind of a weird question I guess, but I am just wondering if anyonr else has run into this." Four years ago I suffered a neck injury with pretty severe neuropathy to my left arm. It had very little strength at all. When I would swim I would flop my left arm out in front of me and it pretty much just glided by my body--no real pull at all from it. Over time, and many 1000s of yards of swimming, my left arm has strengthened significantly. I did no specific exercises for the left arm alone (unless you count one arm swimming, but I do this for both sides). The arm has simply strengthened through swimming a lot. It still is not as strong as the right and may never be. My one caveat to you is that it is possible that your pull technique is significantly different from L to R. If this is the case your left arm pull strength will not get better until your technique does. It might be worthwhile to have the masters coach really look at your stroke to make sure that there are not dramatic L to R technical differences.

That is an interesting question, I've wondered something similar about my right stroke vs. left.  I only considered that it could be strength, but never thought of it being technique related.  Would be interested in researching this more and hearing anyone elses opinion on this.

Edited by mdfahy 2012-03-28 9:36 PM
2012-03-29 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4118062

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
mdfahy - 2012-03-28 10:35 PM

wannabefaster - 2012-03-28 7:16 AM "Pretty interesting sensation, and it really magnified the fact that my right pull has a lot more strength in it. Will this even out over time or do I need to concentrate specifically on strengthening my left side??? Kind of a weird question I guess, but I am just wondering if anyonr else has run into this." Four years ago I suffered a neck injury with pretty severe neuropathy to my left arm. It had very little strength at all. When I would swim I would flop my left arm out in front of me and it pretty much just glided by my body--no real pull at all from it. Over time, and many 1000s of yards of swimming, my left arm has strengthened significantly. I did no specific exercises for the left arm alone (unless you count one arm swimming, but I do this for both sides). The arm has simply strengthened through swimming a lot. It still is not as strong as the right and may never be. My one caveat to you is that it is possible that your pull technique is significantly different from L to R. If this is the case your left arm pull strength will not get better until your technique does. It might be worthwhile to have the masters coach really look at your stroke to make sure that there are not dramatic L to R technical differences.

That is an interesting question, I've wondered something similar about my right stroke vs. left.  I only considered that it could be strength, but never thought of it being technique related.  Would be interested in researching this more and hearing anyone elses opinion on this.

I am convinced that when I bilaterally breathe it smoothes out my stroke and makes the sides much more equal. With bilateral breathing-every third stroke- I swim straight almost effortlessly. When I breathe on the right only, I slowly drift to the left over time. When I breathe on the left only, I can't go 25 yards without crashing into the left lane line. I think the bilateral breathing really evens out the technique of my pull (especially as it relates to the left arm). My left arm is certainly physically weaker than the right but I really believe that the pull technique is more important (for me) than overall strength. YMMV.

2012-03-29 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4118362

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
I agree with you Jason. When I bilateral breathe, I feel more "even", and my stroke seems better. I favor breathing on my left, so I know my right arm is working harder (that's the one that got sore when I first started), as I'm pulling with that one slightly longer to breathe. Funny thing is, I'm left handed, so I still swim pretty straight. Now when I breathe only on my right, I feel very uneven, but it's by far my least used. I try and swim all 3 ways every time I swim (approx 50% left, 40% bilateral, 10% right). Really trying to increase my bilateral breathing. Curious how often everyone breathes? Started every 2, obviously every 3 for bilateral, trying to work up to every 4 when doing just right or left. This am during my wu, I had a 200 pull and I was breathing every 4 on my left naturally, didn't even realize it until I had done a length. I'm 4 swims in to a 6 swim, "swim focus" week. It's ok, but I am not loving it like last week's, run week!
2012-03-31 9:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Got my reverse tri in yesterday (30min run, 1hr bike, 30min swim). Went well only complaint was it was inside and the gym was hot! What are everyone's plans for the weekend? Today's my off day, and tomorrow I've got a 75 min swim (which will probably take me a little longer), but then 'swim' week will be over (yeah!), and on to bike week!
2012-04-01 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Reverse tri? That sounds cool!

I was supposed to do a long run yesterday but due to reocurring foot issues I swapped it out for a ride up the ski mountain roa with friends... Perfect day for it, sunny, not much wind and cool. The ride went great and afterwards while I was walking to the fridge to grab a 'recovery' beer, my buddy started in with the craziest stretches I have ever seen. My comment too him....
'easy there... Cirque du Solei!'

Has come back to bite me, because today I can barely walk my back is so stiff and sore. Moral of the story, stretching is good for you and... Karma sucks!
2012-04-05 7:45 AM
in reply to: #4123056

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I think I may have figured a little something out on my swim.  I have been having shoulder soreness and even an impinged shoulder over the last few months and I couldn't figure out why.  I thought it had to do with my new strength training regiment on my swim days, overworking my shoulder.  This may have been a contributing factor, but I moved my strength session to a non-swim day and still had soreness during and after my swims.  I think I started to get lazy and use my shoulder more for the pull rather than good technique by using more of my chest and upper back muscles to press down through my stroke.  I've tried that the last two swims and have considerable less to no shoulder soreness.

2012-04-05 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

I thought I would share a good site on swimming.  Lots of good articles, tips, techniques and Mr. Smooth is a great visualization of good stroke technique.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon.html

2012-04-05 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA

Swimsmooth has been my go to site for swimming. It is really good. 

Just got back from a mini vacation and a work trip. I am 17 days away from my tri. I need to suck it up and head out to the lake one of these days. Water temp is probably around 50. I guess it is not the end of the world if I do not, but figured I could work in some practice transitions at the same time. 

2012-04-06 4:51 PM
in reply to: #4133248

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
So it looks like we are archived, does that mean the end of the endurance ninjas?

17 days! Yikes! Open water swimming is the bomb though, no lanes, no pool times...Great.

my back is still pretty messed up, but improving everyday. Training should resume shortly.

2012-04-07 6:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Had to choose between doing my 2.5 hr ride in the am (cold & rainy), or pm (sunny & windy), I choose the later, next time I'll choose the rain! Really had it handed to me today by the wind, it's no fun having to pedal hard even on the downhills to avoid slowing down/stopping! Justin and Brian, can't believe you both are so close to your 1st tri's of the season, and Jason has Boston coming up and Matt has a HM too. I'd hate to see the Endurance ninjas end went we're just getting into race season! Hope everyone has a good weekend! --Ali
2012-04-07 6:20 PM
in reply to: #4123056

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
justinfss - 2012-04-01 10:00 AMReverse tri? That sounds cool!

I was supposed to do a long run yesterday but due to reocurring foot issues I swapped it out for a ride up the ski mountain roa with friends... Perfect day for it, sunny, not much wind and cool. The ride went great and afterwards while I was walking to the fridge to grab a 'recovery' beer, my buddy started in with the craziest stretches I have ever seen. My comment too him....
'easy there... Cirque du Solei!'

Has come back to bite me, because today I can barely walk my back is so stiff and sore. Moral of the story, stretching is good for you and... Karma sucks!
That Karma, always comes back to bite me! Hope your back is getting better. I wish I could share your enthusiasm for OWS!!
2012-04-08 9:59 AM

User image

Toronto-ish

This one is too good (and stupid) not to share.

Have been running indoor for months and decided to put on the heart rate monitor for the first time in a year to see if there's been any progress. Had managed to forget how it works so muddled through chaning modes, etc., and got what looked like a reading, so started running.

For the first mile HR was in 110's. Nice.

Second mile was in the 120's. Still ok.

Third mile in the 130's, although treadmill pace still the same, and I'm getting worried.

Fourth mile and it's in the 140's, and I'm genuinely concerned.

The moral of the story: either read the manual or don't start a run at 1:10 in the afternoon.

2012-04-09 7:55 PM

Regular

Nice.  My HR monitor has been telling me my HR is in the 235-240 range for large portions of my runs.  I look forward to downloading the data from a 10 or so mile run, and that's when I see how crazy the data is.  I think the sensor itself is to blame; already replaced the battery.  At least I got a couple good seasons out of it!

Hope everyone else is healthy and hitting their marks; I have been training and working hard, with not a lot of time for catching up.  Good luck on the season if the archive monster gets the best of us; it has been a lot of fun and I learned a lot from you all!

2012-04-10 9:01 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
lots of heart rate issues... If mine is beating I'm happy

pretty bummed out lately with my back putting me out of commission, no training for 10 days now and I have missed two masters classes. I feel almost ready to get back to it, at around 85%. Really looking forward to things warming up more too, we have had a few really nice days and the roads seem to be packed with runners and bikers, great sign of spring.

the first tri up this way isn't until July, and with the baby arriving in June I am not sure travelling south to an event is in the cards. We will see though, I am just really looking forward to getting back too training.
2012-04-23 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Roseville, CA
Looks like this thread had died down, but thought I would say thanks for the tips and motivation. Had my first attempt at a tri but it turned into a dualathlon the day before due to poor water quality. Regardless it was still a good time and I beat my goal time. I will be putting up a race log soon. Now it is time to find the next one!
2012-04-24 11:35 PM

User image

Expert
Timmins, ON. Canada
Great job Brian! Always feels good to beat time goals. I just wanted to echo what you said pretty much, learned a lot had and had a great time reading about everyones training and wish you all the best in this years races. Big shout out to Ben for Mentoring!

My Back strain has really hampered my training(very frusterating) but i am on a regiment of stretching and acupuncture and I hope to be back at it soon!

Cheers!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » bcagle25's Endurance Ninja's - Closed (Ninja school is in session) Rss Feed  

of 19