BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 25

2012-10-09 8:44 AM
in reply to: #4123663

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE

Just published race report.  Enjoy!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=464008

2012-10-09 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4445939

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
newbie99 - 2012-10-08 8:25 PM

MATT-WHERE'S YOUR RACE REPORT?!? Smile 

I'm 13 days out of my first ever HM, I need every tip I can get. 

I seriously can not believe that earlier in the year, I CHOSE  my first triathlon solely on the fact that there was only a 2 mile run at the end, and all the others had 3.1 mile runs.  Now I'm pitching a fit because I missed my last long run of 12 miles.

I have had a rough last 2-3 weeks.  My knees starting building up fluid from all the running, then I pulled some ligaments/tendons in my knees from playing with my 2 year old (deep squats and pouncing around on my knees, things you can't avoid when you have a toddler).  So I cut back a little to get the fluid down and heal and did some therapy (I work next to a fully stocked PT/OT department aka free therapy).  Then my little boy got sick and I missed my long run again.  NOW I am sick and have missed another long run.  Had a strep test today and it was negative.  All that needs to happen now is for surveyors to walk in at work so that I can't leave to run on lunch break later this week. I still have a few days to decide if I'm going with plan A (run hard, but can't meet my original goal) or plan B (run with a 13 mile friendly HALLOWEEN costume on and have a LOAD of fun). It is called the Haunted Half and costumes are encouraged.   It shouldn't be such a hard decision but my multi-personality type A and type B are arguing. 

Speaking of outside vs treadmill runs,  is it normal to average a minute and 10 seconds/mile slower when you are outside? My outside routes have slight hills but nothing that significant.

April,  you've got a lot going on.  Keep one thing in perspective.  It's a race... life always needs to come first.  Being Mom is more important than a 2 hour HM!

Now, let's deal with each issue.  First, you missed a couple long runs- 12 and what else?  I think you'll be OK as long as you went to 10 and did your midweek runs.  I've never done a training run longer than 10 miles for a HM, personally.  Just think of the last 3.1 as a 5K(!

Injury... super smart to lay off and let that junk heal.  Running through an injury is stupid and pointless.  I'm glad to see you're getting the right treatment and listening to your body.  That's the #1 thing I have tried to stress in this group all year long.  Always listen to your body.  You are, so kudos for that.

Now, plan A or plan B for the race?  Here's my take.  It's your first HM, you are stressing about missing a couple of training runs, you are recovering from some minor injuries, and you're not a professional athlete.  I'd say go for the fun.  Dress up in a costume that will be easy to run in.  Go out with the attitude that you are there to have fun.  You'll set a personal best no matter your time- it'll be your FURTHEST RUN EVER.  Enjoy every moment of it.  Come back in the spring and try to beat the time you set in this race.  You're going to savor this one forever, make sure it's a good memory and not a bad one

2012-10-09 5:20 PM
in reply to: #4446293

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
mcgilmartin - 2012-10-09 7:44 AM

I'm also happy to report I'm about 90% recovered as of this afternoon.  I'll be swimming 3000 in the morning, followed by a light run Thursday

2012-10-09 5:28 PM
in reply to: #4447175

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
Awesome race report!
2012-10-09 5:33 PM
in reply to: #4447175

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

5 hours of running, blows my mind! Nice job, and great race report. Running a marathon really does sound like a huge mental challenge as well as a physical one.

My husband is a Bears fan, so I flew us to Chicago for a Bears game the year that the new stadium opened (2006?) as a bday present. We loved the city, and I recognized some of the areas you were talking about, so that was also pretty neat to read. Too cold for me, but I definitely want to visit again! Awesome race!

mcgilmartin - 2012-10-08 6:20 PM
mcgilmartin - 2012-10-09 7:44 AM

I'm also happy to report I'm about 90% recovered as of this afternoon.  I'll be swimming 3000 in the morning, followed by a light run Thursday

2012-10-09 5:37 PM
in reply to: #4445939

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

It's frustrating when you miss a workout you were looking forward to, especially when you can't control it. But running sick or injured would be worse, you were smart too cut back. That's really hard to do! The HM in costume sounds like a lot of fun - that's my vote Laughing I'm running a Superhero 5K near Halloween as Spiderwoman - but only 3 miles, not 13! Good luck and have fun either way!

newbie99 - 2012-10-07 10:25 PM

MATT-WHERE'S YOUR RACE REPORT?!? Smile 

I'm 13 days out of my first ever HM, I need every tip I can get. 

I seriously can not believe that earlier in the year, I CHOSE  my first triathlon solely on the fact that there was only a 2 mile run at the end, and all the others had 3.1 mile runs.  Now I'm pitching a fit because I missed my last long run of 12 miles.

I have had a rough last 2-3 weeks.  My knees starting building up fluid from all the running, then I pulled some ligaments/tendons in my knees from playing with my 2 year old (deep squats and pouncing around on my knees, things you can't avoid when you have a toddler).  So I cut back a little to get the fluid down and heal and did some therapy (I work next to a fully stocked PT/OT department aka free therapy).  Then my little boy got sick and I missed my long run again.  NOW I am sick and have missed another long run.  Had a strep test today and it was negative.  All that needs to happen now is for surveyors to walk in at work so that I can't leave to run on lunch break later this week. I still have a few days to decide if I'm going with plan A (run hard, but can't meet my original goal) or plan B (run with a 13 mile friendly HALLOWEEN costume on and have a LOAD of fun). It is called the Haunted Half and costumes are encouraged.   It shouldn't be such a hard decision but my multi-personality type A and type B are arguing. 

Speaking of outside vs treadmill runs,  is it normal to average a minute and 10 seconds/mile slower when you are outside? My outside routes have slight hills but nothing that significant.

2012-10-15 10:02 PM

HEY ALL!

Awesome race report, Matt, its very motivating!!!!!

Thanks so much for the encouraging words!! Really needed!  I feel ready for this Saturday, I can't wait to run in my black widow spider costume, complete with all my extra legs (in case I need them to finish the race) Cool     However, I am prepared to ditch the extra legs if they bother me in any way.  

I was able to run two short runs last week during lunch break, and ALL OF A SUDDEN got my FIRST painful blister on mile 4 during the second run.  That's got me spoofed, no new shoes, no new socks, shoes aren't worn out, either.   I went for my "last run" (eight miles)- Sunday, which turned into ten miles, which actually turned in to 11.4 miles and at that point I couldn't stop.  I committed the cardinal sin.  I went ahead and did 13.1.  I know better, but I couldn't stop, even though it was raining hard the last 1.5 miles.  I had a flashback to the last time I trained for a HM and never got to do it because I got pregnant and this fear crept into my head "what if you don't get to run next week, what if something happens, you won't get to finish, you're so close to the distance, might as well finish it just in case so you can say you run 13.1, might as well do it so if you do make it to next weeks race, mentally you can say you've done the distance and know what to expect".  I don't know what got in to me. 

All is well, I feel good, thank the good Lord in Heaven I did not break a bone or stress any joints.  I do have two blisters on my feet.  Now, as usual, I'll find something new to worry about: blisters.  I promise to rest this week. 

Hope everyone is doing well in training! 

2012-10-15 11:29 PM
in reply to: #4455098

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

:D 

Good for you, April!  I think you're going to be just fine.

2012-10-16 2:36 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
And as far as the blisters go, get some New Skin Liquid Bandage.  The stuff is amazing for blisters.
2012-10-17 11:00 AM

User image

New user
Seattle
Subject: Marathon Matt and Spider Woman
Took a bit but found your race report for Chicago, Matt. Inspiring run but I must confess the side bar tour of Chicago neighborhoods was really fun to read. When I think of Chicago I think shopping, prime rib, and pizza. Now I will think running in a big way! Great job!...and a note to the many legs of Spider Woman...what a great image! Have a great time and maximize the arachnid shuffle!Update on Seattle...the rain is back. 'Nuff said.Getting ready for all the fun runs for the holidays - the next one for me will be the Moustach Run. A group from work is going to dress as a barbershop quartet with giant mustaches and a run for the beer garden. Take care!
2012-10-20 3:19 PM

User image

Waiting for the Sufferlandrian Federation's official vote to see if I qualified for Knighthood! Twelve hours on the bike/trainer followed by 4 hours of manual labor for the military - I'm beat!!

2012-10-21 6:44 PM

I have posted my HM race report but I don't know how to find the link to post it here.  It's titled the "Haunted Half".   Matt, can you find it and post the link here?

I finished a little slow for what I wanted, but I'm still satisfied!!!  I don't really know why I got so slow near the end- I was on track at mile 6 and mile 10 I was ok.  I guess I just either got distracted, lost my MOJO, forgot to run more than walk, let the hills whip my butt, or just was checking out all the cute cops.  Me and my spider legs crossed the finish line, though and I'm happy about it!  I did have some seriously excruciating quad cramps at mile 12.3 and had to jog it out in order to not die on the side of the road.  The more I walked, the tighter they got and had no option but to keep jogging to keep them warm.  I drank every 2 miles and had several gel packs during the race.  The same blister I had on my toe at the beginning of the race was only a little bigger at the end of the race and never hurt at all.  I saw one guy pull off a bloody sock at mile 6 I felt bad for him.  I saw another poor old soul have some difficulty with gastric distress (ahem).  All of the people on the bikes monitoring the runners had costumes on and they were so creative and way "out there".  It was a freaking cold 41 degrees. 

I'm very happy I did it but I can't wait to get back in to cross training!  SWIMMMING here I come.

2012-10-21 8:11 PM

User image

Round Rock

Ok Team, I need some input. I am currently trainng for the Austin Half Marathon on 2/17/13. To this point my longest run has been a 10k and had a 13:30 pace for that.

I am thinking about adding another 1/2 marathon 5 weeks earlier than planned "just to do it." Am I out of my mind squeezing in another HM earlY? This would be my first HM ever.

I am currently on a building pace that is targeted to end with the 2-17-13 race.

Thoughts? Do I need a therapist to get this thought out of my head?

Bryan

2012-10-21 8:25 PM
in reply to: #4462624

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
2012-10-21 8:26 PM
in reply to: #4462713

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
katartizo - 2012-10-21 7:11 PM

Ok Team, I need some input. I am currently trainng for the Austin Half Marathon on 2/17/13. To this point my longest run has been a 10k and had a 13:30 pace for that.

I am thinking about adding another 1/2 marathon 5 weeks earlier than planned "just to do it." Am I out of my mind squeezing in another HM earlY? This would be my first HM ever.

I am currently on a building pace that is targeted to end with the 2-17-13 race.

Bryan

Bryan, you should be fine.  You need to start training NOW.  Work on your base (5-6 mile runs 2x a week) and get at least one speedwork session in on the treadmill.

Let's talk about this more in depth this week.

2012-10-21 8:27 PM
in reply to: #4461798

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

mmez - 2012-10-20 2:19 PM Waiting for the Sufferlandrian Federation's official vote to see if I qualified for Knighthood! Twelve hours on the bike/trainer followed by 4 hours of manual labor for the military - I'm beat!!

Mariah, if I didn't know you better I would say you are insane.  Fortunately I know you're just an addict LOL.  Truly amazing effort.

Matt

2012-10-21 8:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska
I made it back from the Boulder marathon. It was a great time except for the actual time I spent on the course. I'm going to do a race report tomorrow when I have a real keyboard instead of this iPad screen.
2012-10-21 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4462773

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

stevesflyshop - 2012-10-21 7:52 PM I made it back from the Boulder marathon. It was a great time except for the actual time I spent on the course. I'm going to do a race report tomorrow when I have a real keyboard instead of this iPad screen.

That doesn't sound good.  Let us know tomorrow.  Get some rest

2012-10-21 9:29 PM
in reply to: #4461798

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

Totally crazy! But cool Laughing

mmez - 2012-10-19 4:19 PM Waiting for the Sufferlandrian Federation's official vote to see if I qualified for Knighthood! Twelve hours on the bike/trainer followed by 4 hours of manual labor for the military - I'm beat!!

2012-10-21 9:31 PM
in reply to: #4462624

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

What an accomplishment, congrats!  Sounds like fun, although cold. Bring on the swimming!

newbie99 - 2012-10-20 7:44 PM

I have posted my HM race report but I don't know how to find the link to post it here.  It's titled the "Haunted Half".   Matt, can you find it and post the link here?

I finished a little slow for what I wanted, but I'm still satisfied!!!  I don't really know why I got so slow near the end- I was on track at mile 6 and mile 10 I was ok.  I guess I just either got distracted, lost my MOJO, forgot to run more than walk, let the hills whip my butt, or just was checking out all the cute cops.  Me and my spider legs crossed the finish line, though and I'm happy about it!  I did have some seriously excruciating quad cramps at mile 12.3 and had to jog it out in order to not die on the side of the road.  The more I walked, the tighter they got and had no option but to keep jogging to keep them warm.  I drank every 2 miles and had several gel packs during the race.  The same blister I had on my toe at the beginning of the race was only a little bigger at the end of the race and never hurt at all.  I saw one guy pull off a bloody sock at mile 6 I felt bad for him.  I saw another poor old soul have some difficulty with gastric distress (ahem).  All of the people on the bikes monitoring the runners had costumes on and they were so creative and way "out there".  It was a freaking cold 41 degrees. 

I'm very happy I did it but I can't wait to get back in to cross training!  SWIMMMING here I come.

2012-10-21 9:35 PM
in reply to: #4462713

User image

New user
Western North Carolina

The Austin Half sounds like a great goal no matter what you choose, I'd love to hear how it goes.

katartizo - 2012-10-20 9:11 PM

Bryan

2012-10-22 1:12 PM

User image

This just arrived by carrier vulture into Sufferlandrian HQ.

From Mariah P. LeBlanc:

To the most High Sufferlandrian, Esteemed members of the Federation of Sufferlandria, Noble Members of the Sufferlandria Knighthood and Valiant, Courageous members of the Sufferlandrain Nation,

It is with great humility and honor that I write to you to inform you of my most recent journey to Sufferlandria.

I took a Downward Spiral towards The Hunted, encountering a Fight Club along the way to Hell Hath No Fury. It was a Very Dark Place as I continued onward, utilizing Angles as I went in search of the Local Hero. At several points along the way, I was in search of a Revolver with a few Extra Shots (as well as a Long Scream) to put me out of my misery, however, I prevailed and made it to the Great Nation of Sufferlandria. Never was there so much rejoicing and suffering as there was over the course of several hours!

All proceeds raised ($150) will be donated towards research for Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma, an inoperable brain tumor that has a 99% death rate within the first 12 months. I have had 3 friends with little boys that have fought this horrible battle, suffering more than I can ever imagine, as it robs them of control of their body while allowing their mind to remain intact. Thank you for the opportunity to Suffer and I look forward to doing so again in the near future...once my sit-bones forgive me!

Sincerely,

Mariah P. LeBlanc

PS - my 7 year old daughter Suffered with me through Revolver and Extra Shot-The Long Scream! She's pretty amazing!

---- By order of the Federation: KNIGHTHOOD GRANTED!!!!! You are now Dame Mariah. Has a good ring to it. (Mariah joins Dame Liz as one of only two female Knights!)

2012-10-22 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4463706

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Dame Mariah... one of only 2 female knights???  You are a total stud, Mariah!
2012-10-22 3:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ogallala, Nebraska

After getting a good nights sleep of over 10 hours, I've had a chance to look back at the Boulder Marathon and analyze how things went. In the words of a wise man, I got what I trained for.

I had originally planned to run 3 marathons in a month, the Denver Rock and Roll, the Monument Marathon in Scottsbluff and the Boulder Marathon. That would have qualified me for the Marathon Maniacs group. I ran in Denver, but family circumstances did not allow me to run in Scottsbluff. Since I wasn't going to get qualified for the Maniacs, I really didn't take Boulder very seriously.

The day started out great. Woke up at 1:00 left the house and drove to Boulder. Realized I left my Camelback at home but wasn't too worried about it. Found a Starbucks that opened at 5:00, got my 6 shot Americano and a Pumpkin Scone (carb loading) and headed to the Boulder Reservoir. It was a beautiful morning and seeing the sunrise at the reservoir was pretty neat. The race started and I committed the first of many marathon sins - I got caught up in the excitement. I was also in a really nice pace group and even though they were going about 30-45 seconds per mile faster than I had planned to pace myself, I felt it was worth it to follow them along.That was also when I committed sin number 2 - I abandoned my run walk plan to go along with the pace group. Unbeknownst to me, their initial pace was their warmup and they began really running after about a mile. I did not attempt to follow them and instead tried to settle into the pace that I had planned to run at. I also learned that I had committed another marathon sin - not knowing the course. The website for the Boulder Marathon stated that it was "pretty flat with a few hills thrown in". My definition of flat is different from theirs. I had tried to run more hills all summer but we don't have too many hills like they had on the course. Add to that the altitude difference and I was not prepared.

I also really struggled to get my heart rate where it needed to be. I'd be at the pace I wanted but the heart rate would be way off. I'd slow down and then the heart rate would drop below the zone I was shooting for. Speed up and it goes into zone 4. That went on for most of the run. I know the hills and altitude factored into that but it was frustrating. I also hit the wall hard and early. Hitting the wall was about the only thing I did well. Overall I finished under the course cutoff but not by much. I think the final time was around 6:35 or so. I haven't downloaded my Garmin yet and the results weren't posted this morning, but that should be close. I learned a lot from this experience though.

First, I learned I can't fake a marathon. I ran the one in Denver a month ago and then really didn't put any training effort into this one. This morning I looked back at my running logs and was somewhat surprised to see I had only logged about 25 miles of running in the last month. Clearly that didn't help me. I also didn't train for the terrain or factor in the altitude. My planned pace was probably good for the altitude and terrain we have around here but I should have adjusted it for the added difficulty. Following the pace group was nice but that early effort killed me in the latter miles. Latter being miles 8 on to the finish. I will say the course was great and the aid stations were well stocked except for 1 that had ran out of cups. That was where I started trying new things. Oranges were great and seemed to give me a nice burst of energy. I should have taken the whole box with me. Bananas didn't set well though. I stayed away from the vanilla bean GU that I had tried before.

Overall this was a fun run but definitely an eye opener. I knew I hadn't prepared like I should have for this run but I felt confident that I could have a good run. I was mostly just disappointed in the end result because I knew I could have done better if I had put the training in. This marathon was a full hour slower than the Seattle marathon I ran in June. I am already signed up to do the Colfax Marathon in May, 2013 and that race will be a lot better prepared for than this one. I had also been thinking of trying to do a full ironman course next year but after this race I am going to take a year to do a lot of base building and shoot for a full ironman in 2014. I might still try to do the Boulder 70.3 if the winter sessions on the bike and treadmill yield the results I am wanting to achieve. Otherwise I'll stick with sprints and 1 Olympic.

2012-10-22 9:52 PM

User image

Round Rock

Great race report - lots of good insight and items for me to consider. What was your prior issue with Vanilla GU? Surprised you used a new energy source (oranges) during a race, but glad it turned out well.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us and your plan for the future.

Bryan

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Matt Gilmartin's 2nd Quarter Group- back in the pool! FULL HOUSE Rss Feed  

of 25